Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Regumate/Altrenogest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 3:42pm
Our track riders are very valuable to us and they should get their danger money and reward for effort!!
We also give our rider a good sling -  thank you when we have a win, after all they come off the track and give us what our horses can't say to us.
As for the drug, We have used it in our stable, mostly for general behaviour modification on mares we have had that were very nervy and fizzy types, this did help.
Straight arrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 5:05pm
Gaj ,? So you were treating nervy fizzy types? That's the reason why RV prob wants it banned! Not useing it for its purpose, to keep horses out of season.
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 5:17pm
Straight Arrow there are other drugs for the problem in fizzy nervous types - albeit savage drugs, and it is well known that it is used for the management of behaviour in race mares, though they need to have a break from it and allowed to cycle during the term while in work, so unsure of their (RV) reasoning.
Cycling can be manipulated around the racing schedule I am thinking.

Colts get a gear change when they become a problem!
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 5:31pm
Value your opinion SA, however imho it's somewhat irrelevant in this context, simply because if it's not proven to be performance enhancing it should remain available to trainers.

Smoke and Mirrors View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 5:45pm
It does the job it is prescribed to do and makes very little if any Raceday improvement to a horse (formwise)
Hasn’t been a problem beforehand, can’t see why it should it be banned.
"Go Hard or Go Home”
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 6:26pm
Because vic racing wants drug free racing. It's very clear in its mandate. I presume that is what they are working towards!! I don't know what is so confusing!!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 6:31pm
Whingeing from some parties that mares have an advantage, may be a contributing factor given our past 2 champions (at least) are mares but how do they explain Enabled winning in a drug free zone?
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Straight arrow Straight arrow wrote:

Because vic racing wants drug free racing. It's very clear in its mandate. I presume that is what they are working towards!! I don't know what is so confusing!!

Please define what you consider to be a drug.  Or what RV(L) considers a drug.

ps if you've ever raced a horse it may pay to examine treatments given to it.  There's usually plenty, given for therapeutic reasons, and entirely legal.  

However under your "drug free" regime that would cease.  Leading to a host of problems stemming from living in an uncontrolled stable environment 23 hours a day.
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 7:08pm
Are human female athletes allowed to compete at the Olympics. when they’re on the Pill? Just asking because I really don’t know the answer and I don’t think there’s much difference . Both designed to artificially regulate hormones.
skippy123 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skippy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 7:13pm
Yes they can take contraceptives but only certain kinds....
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 7:19pm
Yes the pill is allowed if it is prescribed by an authorised doctor
"Go Hard or Go Home”
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 7:19pm
My understanding is that it is only this drug that is the problem because it has been found to contain trace amounts of banned anabolic steroids and Racing Victoria is suggesting alternative short acting progesterone as an alternative until the Regumate question is cleared up.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 7:20pm

That is impossible, horses require medication for all different types of ailments just like humans.
"Go Hard or Go Home”
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

My understanding is that it is only this drug that is the problem because it has been found to contain trace amounts of banned anabolic steroids and Racing Victoria is suggesting alternative short acting progesterone as an alternative until the Regumate question is cleared up.

But is there actually anything to clear up? So many fillies and mares race on it yet only these 2 (I think) testing positive. They most likely gave too much or too close to racing or Regumate is just a convenient excuse to cover a microdosing mistake.
to the victor
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Smoke and Mirrors Smoke and Mirrors wrote:

That is impossible, horses require medication for all different types of ailments just like humans.

They could start with jigger free racing
to the victor
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 8:13pm
I don't want to take pot shots at people here . I'm only new, but it seems very basic to me that RVL are working toward drug free racing. Like UK and other relevant jurisdictions. Please don't get nitty and picky on we're and who. But there is a suggestion that regumate drug that can be done without in there eyes? I'm all for falling into line with less is better when it comes to racing! And yes have been through many preparations with horses that needed this and that to keep them going?? But FACTS are they don't want drugs in there systems. Why is it so hard to get across it?? We will end up like USA if we don't follow the lead
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 8:51pm
No we’ll end up with pathetic fields of broken down animals, diminished longevity and more horse turnover. We’re a hot dry country and as such our largely hard and tight tracks put more pressure on the horses than Europe’s and our hot weather keeps them endlessly in season. RV had a knee jerk reaction to nothing while ignoring serious issues.
to the victor
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 9:08pm
Could be said knee jerk?? But it's a drug and they have pointed every one to drug free racing for years. I just can't stand these childish excuses on the racing interview from horse trainers showing concern to there underpaid staff about erratic fillies and mares now? While all the while they are caring for head strong stallions everyday. DONT you feel stupid listening to it ?
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 10:10pm
No I don’t. They’re siting OH&S because they know it’s a weak point for RV. They could also say it is bad for punters, owners of fillies and mares, and that a stable full of squealing mares throwing themselves down in the truck and leaning on walls is driving them up the wall. Good staff are paid well and hard to find, no one is underpaying them. Lazy staff don’t deserve what they get.
to the victor
Discohips23 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Discohips23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 2:39am

Cityboy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cityboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 6:14am
Banning of performance enhancing drugs or damaging drugs is one thing and worth pursuing. But pursuing “drug free racing” is just stupid
Therefore the ban on Regumate by RVL is stupid.
I couldn’t care less what they’re doing in England or feel any need to blindly follow.
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Cityboy Cityboy wrote:

Banning of performance enhancing drugs or damaging drugs is one thing and worth pursuing. But pursuing “drug free racing” is just stupid
Therefore the ban on Regumate by RVL is stupid.
I couldn’t care less what they’re doing in England or feel any need to blindly follow.
Agree with this . Getting rid of the cheats with their cruel concoctions is one thing, but this has been around for ages and is not performance enhancing at all. You’ve also got to remember that racing lives and dies by betting turnover and punters have to be able to trust the form. Some mares won’t concerntrate and perform when they’re in season. Others just get a bit nasty or work themselves up which isn’t good. Some are perfectly fine. It depends on the individual. The other thing is just general management of your racing stable. Obviously they keep the colts and filly’s seperate but gee you wouldn’t want these young hormone driven colts within a kilometre of a barn full of in season mares!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 8:56am
The problem with this drug is not performance enhancing? Is that the cocktails of drugs can become masking agents for more sinister happenings. That is one reason for use of bi carb which is not a drug!! That comes under the time and treatment rule. I don't know why it's so shocking to work towards drug free racing. Yes it takes away some tools from trainers . But what would it look like if Winx beats Enable ? Winx on regumate and Enable not ? We would be not taken seriously
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 10:34am
You’re joking. If anyone thinks racing anywhere is drug free they need their head read. If Winx beats Enable (they’ll never meet by the way) the Europeans would just find an excuse to whine regardless of Regumate. Our racing isn’t just a ribbon contest and horses are expected to race more than 3 times a year to help pay for their upkeep and contribute to turnover.
to the victor
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 10:54am
Trainers and vets need tools to look after their horses. Racing is much better off having a list of acceptable therapeutic substances than banning them and sending people into an illicit substance use. Ban Regumate? There’s another drug that stops them being seasonal - and potentially renders them sterile. Do we want that sort of rubbish used instead?
to the victor
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 11:59am
Lingi . I'm out! I was not being confrontational. I never said they would race. (It will never happen) it feels like u r trying to make a fool of me ? I was just pointing out that RVL are moving to drug free racing! And we have in Australia and on this site . To many with heads firmly stuck in the sand! Finished on topic!! Ahh that feels better
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 12:42pm
A) not drug free racing - steroid free racing which is the norm, minuscule amount does not have an effect on performance and this would have most likely been an excessive contamination anyway; what do you envisage drug-free racing to be? Free of bute and other anti-inflammatories? Cortisone? They’re all in use.
B) your comments on trainers are uncalled for, barring a few bad seeds they probably have the hardest job in the business trying to please everyone while risking their neck
C) scratching horses because they come into season is impractical, horses are set for specific races and only a few are suitable every fortnight.
to the victor
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by linghi11 linghi11 wrote:

A) not drug free racing - steroid free racing which is the norm, minuscule amount does not have an effect on performance and this would have most likely been an excessive contamination anyway; what do you envisage drug-free racing to be? Free of bute and other anti-inflammatories? Cortisone? They’re all in use.

Isn't racing free of those things ?

reductio ad absurdum
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 1:07pm
if rvl are going to be consisitent, with drug free, that would have to include 

ulcer treatments

joint injections

wind operations,

any op to improve/enhance performance

etc vets wont like it.

where would that place overseas horses?

nsw racing would become stronger.
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 1:08pm
why are rvl doing this?

who is behind it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>