Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Regan Bayliss Apprentice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Regan Bayliss Apprentice
    Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 6:54pm
Regan Bayliss shows plenty of cheek in breakthrough Flemington win
  • by: Matt Stewart
  • July 19, 2014 3:59PM
Regan Bayliss wins aboard Reckless Assassin in the National Patient Transport Rising Star

Regan Bayliss wins aboard Reckless Assassin in the National Patient Transport Rising Stars Final at Flemington. Picture: Getty Images Source: Getty Images

TECHNICALLY, Regan Bayliss should not have been riding at Flemington on Saturday, let alone winning the Rising Stars Final.

Nor should his brother Jake, Belinda Carlisle and a few others.

Regan Bayliss and Jye McNeil pose with the Rising Stars trophy. Picture: Getty Images

Regan Bayliss and Jye McNeil pose with the Rising Stars trophy. Picture: Getty Images Source: Getty Images

But with a field of six looming because there were only six qualified apprentice riders, officials expanded the field by altering the conditions.

It paved the way not just for young Bayliss’s first Flemington winner, from his first Flemington ride, but for Bayliss’s story to emerge.

As trainer Mick Kent told it in the mounting yard on Saturday, the tiny Bayliss brothers arrived via ute from Queensland about three years ago.

Their dad Jamie had worked for Kent in Singapore back in the 1990s, struggled to make a quid in Queensland and arrived at Kent’s some time later with two ready-made apprentice jockeys.

Jake, who rode third placegetter Madam Nash, was the elder of the two but Regan the most upfront and mischievous.

“I used to take him to Friday night meetings at Moonee Valley,’’ Kent recalled. “He’d put on a pair of my pants, tie some hay band around them and hop in the car.’’

Regan joined Peter Moody at Caulfield two years ago.

“He was staying at the house with Tony (Hayden, foreman), got out of bed at midnight, sneaked into the office and put on Black Caviar’s colours,’’ Kent said.

“He sent me a pic on his phone, saying he was only the third jockey ever to wear the colours. He’s a real cheeky bugger.’’

Regan Bayliss on his way to his first Flemington winner from his first Flemington ride Pi

Regan Bayliss on his way to his first Flemington winner from his first Flemington ride Picture: Getty Images

Edited by Gay3 - 19 Jul 2014 at 6:55pm
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Nocturnal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nocturnal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 7:05pm
He is a good kid Gay , hard working, well mannered and respectful. He gave one of mine a sore back at Cranbourne one day when claiming 4   He came back and gave a sheepish sorry.. I went to get the colours and his old man apologised , I said no issue as long as he learnt by it . I think he will make it
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....
tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 7:15pm
the bit about black caviar gave me a laugh, 
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 5:28pm
About to move to Sydney for a few months.
This space has been intentionally left blank
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 8:50pm
RVStewards@RVStewards 4h4 hours ago

Suspension: 06-04-2016 Ladbrokes Park Hillside R4 - No.5 Angelic Lass - Regan Bayliss -21 meetings. Interference/ fall.

This space has been intentionally left blank
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 2:45pm
Killing them today... claim gone
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 7:04am
Congrats to Regan on finishing his apprenticeship 6 mths early. Will be a senior rider when he returns from suspension next week.
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 1:34pm
Not good. Bad fall
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 1:43pm
Broken Wrist for Regan
dean Holland is alright

Dwayne Dunn looking at a big holiday for causing it
mammoth View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mammoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 9:35pm
Bloody hell!! Of course my luck keeps getting worse. My favourite jockey gone down. Speedy speedy recovery please. Look for Ben Looker tomorrow expect a few good rides from him 
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 9:52pm
Confirmed broken left wrist, spending the night in Geelong Hospital.
May require surgery on Monday

As for the cause of fall, inquiry adjourned until Regan is well enough to attend

Amschel - At approximately the 900 metres appeared to clip heels and fell. A post race veterinary examination revealed the colt to have an abrasion on the near fore tendon and the off fore fetlock. Rider R. Bayliss was transferred to Geelong hospital with a suspected wrist injury. An enquiry into this incident was adjourned until a date to be fixed. Preliminary evidence was taken from D. Dunn (Wild Heart), D. Holland (Wanna Be Good), B. Melham (Andaz), A. Mallyon (Olifants).Wanna Be Good - Near the 900 metres was severely checked by the fallen Amschel resulting in rider D. Holland being dislodged. Rider D. Holland was examined by the doctor and deemed fit to fulfil any future engagements. A post race veterinary examination revealed the gelding to have an abrasion on the near fore knee.
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Xavier Xavier wrote:

Broken Wrist for Regan
dean Holland is alright

Dwayne Dunn looking at a big holiday for causing it

Dunn been given 24 meetings
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 12:54pm
Regan Bayliss has been missing from the jockeys' room this winter but the young rider is eager and ready to return to the races this Thursday at Echuca.

Bayliss had been sidelined for 10 weeks after breaking his wrist in a race fall at Geelong on May 19.

"I've been out of the saddle for seven or eight weeks all up and I didn't want to wait any longer that's for sure," Bayliss told Racing.com on Tuesday.

"A holiday is good but I've probably had a little too much time off.

"I've been riding trackwork now for two weeks so full steam ahead going into Thursday."

Bayliss was in hot form before the fall, booting home five winners from seven rides at Geelong Synthetic just three days earlier. Having been booked for six rides on the 10-race program, the 20-year-old says he is feeling strong, refreshed and keen to resume where he left off.

"[My wrist] is feeling great actually, probably the last week-and-a-half it's really got its full strength back," Bayliss explained.

"I couldn't be happier, I've been riding plenty of work at Flemington and at Lindsay Park up at Euroa.

"Obviously I've had seven weeks off so I've been doing a lot of training trying to get back to being mentally and physically fit.

"It's been a long time coming and I'm really looking forward to Thursday.

"I can't wait for the next few months ahead, we've got a great team of horses and I'm looking forward to just working as hard as I can.

"Hopefully I'm riding in good form coming into the spring and you never know what lies ahead."
Hartnell is dominant View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hartnell is dominant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 2:52pm
Heading off to Hong Kong
 Post Reply Post Reply