Join up at Bet Easy - Click here - Bet Easy is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ready to give up Control of our Borders?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login


Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Ready to give up Control of our Borders?

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Message
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 09 Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 28509
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 6:10pm

Immigration Quote Wrongly Attributed to Sir Edmund Barton

written by Brett M. Christensen August 6, 2016

Back to Top
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.


Back to Top
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 16 Apr 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 10112
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 6:21pm
Well, I’m shocked...shocked I tells ya.

The “every Australian needs to read this” is a dead giveaway.
Back to Top
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 01 Jun 2009
Location: broome
Status: Offline
Points: 35208
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 6:27pm
Surprised Macca got that wrong being a contemporary of Barton's and all
Back to Top
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 01 Jun 2009
Location: broome
Status: Offline
Points: 35208
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 6:43pm
I know a middle aged Eastern European lady who has lived in Australian for decades enjoying the wonderful environment provided.
However she does not miss an opportunity to denigrate Australians calling them lazy , ignorant, stupid and a joke compared to her country of origin.
She still calls herself Hungarian.

Imagine if a Muslim carried on like her, the outrage merchants would be in their element
Back to Top
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 06 Aug 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 11755
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

Well, I’m shocked...shocked I tells ya.

The “every Australian needs to read this” is a dead giveaway.
It clearly says “Australian” - not South Australian !
Give peace a chance
Back to Top
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 27264
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

Surprised Macca got that wrong being a contemporary of Barton's and all

   Being wrong is usual for me ..   I received that in an e mail .

thanks PT ... I'll send it to my supplier
Back to Top
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 09 Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 28509
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 7:21pm
I thought Larry had dropped off the perch. 
Back to Top
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 27264
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

I thought Larry had dropped off the perch.
 


You are a funny man .   Haven't read Larry in years now I'd guess.
I think he was very sick.

     BUT , We are saved .    Donald Trump's team are building a Base in Papua - New Guinea - A 3 way team to circle that place that is buying the world.
Back to Top
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 27264
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 1:31am
Wasn't Barton , it was Roosevelt ,   Then Doctored .

Back to Top
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 05 Feb 2013
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 21573
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 1:51am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

What will you do for ''news'' when they get cleaned up?




What will you do when they make up all your lies for you? ... then you will be redundant in the ether as well ... Cry 
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Back to Top
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 05 Feb 2013
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 21573
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 1:53am
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

I know a middle aged Eastern European lady who has lived in Australian for decades enjoying the wonderful environment provided.
However she does not miss an opportunity to denigrate Australians calling them lazy , ignorant, stupid and a joke compared to her country of origin.
She still calls herself Hungarian.

Imagine if a Muslim carried on like her, the outrage merchants would be in their element

Never been to a Mosque, or to Punchbowl Boys High, have you Whale ...Embarrassed
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Back to Top
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 06 Aug 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 11755
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 7:29am
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

I know a middle aged Eastern European lady who has lived in Australian for decades enjoying the wonderful environment provided.
However she does not miss an opportunity to denigrate Australians calling them lazy , ignorant, stupid and a joke compared to her country of origin.
She still calls herself Hungarian.

Imagine if a Muslim carried on like her, the outrage merchants would be in their element

Never been to a Mosque, or to Punchbowl Boys High, have you Whale ...Embarrassed
What are you talking about....never been out of his house !
Give peace a chance
Back to Top
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 27264
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 8:58am
Wonderful news the Base in New Guinea.     Can't wait to see the Marines by the tens of thousands again . ( Will be a lot of them residing on the OZ territory.)

   I hope they still smoke Players, But leave the silk stockings at home.

Thrilling to think Donald's Boy's are sending a message.
Been done before when Timor was alight but this appears to be a permanent arrangement.
Might show the rubbish distributors that shipping lanes are a 2 way track
and Indonesia to realise they aren't in charge of our foriegn policies.
Back to Top
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 09 Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 28509
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 9:02am
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Wonderful news the Base in New Guinea.     Can't wait to see the Marines by the tens of thousands again . ( Will be a lot of them residing on the OZ territory.)

   I hope they still smoke Players, But leave the silk stockings at home.

Thrilling to think Donald's Boy's are sending a message.
Been done before when Timor was alight but this appears to be a permanent arrangement.
Might show the rubbish distributors that shipping lanes are a 2 way track
and Indonesia to realise they aren't in charge of our foriegn policies.

Short memory maxie. Obama and Julia Gillard and the expansion of US Marine presence in Darwin springs to mind. I guess Donald will own that as well.

 
Back to Top
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 27264
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 9:08am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Wonderful news the Base in New Guinea.     Can't wait to see the Marines by the tens of thousands again . ( Will be a lot of them residing on the OZ territory.)

   I hope they still smoke Players, But leave the silk stockings at home.

Thrilling to think Donald's Boy's are sending a message.
Been done before when Timor was alight but this appears to be a permanent arrangement.
Might show the rubbish distributors that shipping lanes are a 2 way track
and Indonesia to realise they aren't in charge of our foriegn policies.


Short memory maxie. Obama and Julia Gillard and the expansion of US Marine presence in Darwin springs to mind. I guess Donald will own that as well.

 



You don't hate the Yanks that much surely PT.

Love the picture but ohhhh my God ..     You know what the Marines would do with her =    >    Send her home in a NO Body bag.
Back to Top
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 31 Oct 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 25032
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 10:16am
I love the yanks, Macca .   I actually married one years ago.  Didnt last long with him,LOL but made many many good friends there , and still friends over 35 years later.
animals before people.
Back to Top
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 27264
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 10:39am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

I love the yanks, Macca .   I actually married one years ago.  Didnt last long with him,LOL but made many many good friends there , and still friends over 35 years later.


   The older you are as an Australian , The more we LOVE the Yanks .

Usually the reason people hate them is the different environments and experiences of life they are reared in .    thankfully a minority.

A real reason to encourage migration from the right places.

So you married a Yank aye .    Those silk stockings , open the gate to heaven .
Back to Top
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 14335
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 11:50am
The 1951 Refugee Convention is a product of a bygone era. Sooner or later the entire developed world will have to get out of it.




"If the definition of a refugee remains as valid as it always was, however, the international context has changed to a degree where the whole system is at risk. The Geneva and EU ideals are, quite simply, not compatible with today’s reality.

Time was when those granted asylum in what was then western Europe were few and far between – persecuted opposition figures, deposed leaders, dissident intellectuals. In practice, if not on paper, the criteria were narrowly drawn. The concept seemed more like a privilege accorded to an individual, rather than an international entitlement to be extended to whole groups.

Now, travel is far easier than it was in the middle of the last century. Information – about the law and living standards (if not benefits) – is more widely spread. And, like it or not, trafficking has become a profitable industry, aided by mobile phones and mobile money.

It may still be difficult to escape a war zone, such as Syria, but once into Lebanon, or Turkey, or Jordan, the next stage and the next become easier, so long as you have money to pay. Before last autumn, if you managed to reach Greece or Italy you could travel almost unhindered to any other country within the Schengen region.

What is more, the criteria for asylum, as interpreted by human rights lawyers and applied now, make it theoretically possible for whole ethnic, religious or other groups to qualify – including almost anyone whose country is at war.

Much is made by governments of the difference between people who genuinely need a place of safety and those “merely” seeking a better life. But that distinction – as between “migrants” and “refugees” – has become more and more difficult to draw.

Do all Syrians qualify for asylum, for instance, because parts of their country are in the grip of civil war? Then what about a young Nigerian, say, who left his village to seek work in Europe but experienced unspeakable deprivation and suffering on the way? Do his experiences en route change his status on arrival from that of migrant to refugee? The answer may seem a clear no, but some lawyers would say he has a strong case."


Mary Dejevesky, The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/18/geneva-refugee-convention-crisis-demand-eu

"Even the things that I believe in the most, I doubt.”
Back to Top
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 27264
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

The 1951 Refugee Convention is a product of a bygone era. Sooner or later the entire developed world will have to get out of it.




"If the definition of a refugee remains as valid as it always was,
however, the international context has changed to a degree where the
whole system is at risk. The Geneva and EU ideals are, quite simply, not
compatible with today’s reality.

Time was when those granted asylum in what was then western Europe
were few and far between – persecuted opposition figures, deposed
leaders, dissident intellectuals. In practice, if not on paper, the
criteria were narrowly drawn. The concept seemed more like a privilege
accorded to an individual, rather than an international entitlement to
be extended to whole groups.


Now, travel is far easier than it was in the middle of the last
century. Information – about the law and living standards (if not
benefits) – is more widely spread. And, like it or not, trafficking has
become a profitable industry, aided by mobile phones and mobile money.


It may still be difficult to escape a war zone, such as Syria, but
once into Lebanon, or Turkey, or Jordan, the next stage and the next
become easier, so long as you have money to pay. Before last autumn, if
you managed to reach Greece or Italy you could travel almost unhindered
to any other country within the Schengen region.


What is more, the criteria for asylum, as interpreted by human rights
lawyers and applied now, make it theoretically possible for whole
ethnic, religious or other groups to qualify – including almost anyone
whose country is at war.


Much is made by governments of the difference between people who
genuinely need a place of safety and those “merely” seeking a better
life. But that distinction – as between “migrants” and “refugees” – has
become more and more difficult to draw.


Do all Syrians qualify for asylum, for instance, because parts of
their country are in the grip of civil war? Then what about a young
Nigerian, say, who left his village to seek work in Europe but
experienced unspeakable deprivation and suffering on the way? Do his
experiences en route change his status on arrival from that of migrant
to refugee? The answer may seem a clear no, but some lawyers would say
he has a strong case."


Mary Dejevesky, The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/18/geneva-refugee-convention-crisis-demand-eu




    Flooding another Country isn't acceptable or sustainable.
Australia's infastructure is stretched already.
Labor's 50000 well off boat people cost us 25 billion already.   They had a safe home on Nauru and have rejected that.
The Guardian is the last card in my book.    Go to CNN & be careful you don't run over PT on the way.    .
Back to Top
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 05 Feb 2013
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 21573
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Wonderful news the Base in New Guinea.     Can't wait to see the Marines by the tens of thousands again . ( Will be a lot of them residing on the OZ territory.)

   I hope they still smoke Players, But leave the silk stockings at home.

Thrilling to think Donald's Boy's are sending a message.
Been done before when Timor was alight but this appears to be a permanent arrangement.
Might show the rubbish distributors that shipping lanes are a 2 way track
and Indonesia to realise they aren't in charge of our foriegn policies.

Short memory maxie. Obama and Julia Gillard and the expansion of US Marine presence in Darwin springs to mind. I guess Donald will own that as well.

 

Living in the past aren't you CNNPT?

So what Trump is doing is a "good" thing?

Your home and workplaces, family and friends, won't be picketed and attacked by Trump Deranged ANTIFA Thugs if you say it is ... well, they probably WILL be ...Ouch
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Back to Top
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 09 Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 28509
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 7:13pm
Do you pay any attention at all?
Back to Top
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 05 Feb 2013
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 21573
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 7:19pm
For refuge and asylum to be helpful and meaningful, it should ALWAYS be temporary.

I'd be happy to take every "Genuine" refugee, who would obviously be grateful beyond words, to live in peace on Nauru or Manus Island, until the danger in their country subsided, and they could return to their homes and families.

But not the majority of them who are cashed-up blokes 20 something who are simply economic refugees, trying to game the system, and jump the queue - fcuk them, sink their boats, I don't want them here, and most people agree.
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Back to Top
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 05 Feb 2013
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 21573
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Do you pay any attention at all?

Not particularly, when you and your clones are ranting hysterically about the same ole ... why did I miss you complimenting Trump or something? ... and your head didn't explode!Shocked
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Back to Top
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 09 Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 28509
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 7:28pm
What has happened? No large pink tonight? Pressure getting to you?
Back to Top
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Location: Sydney
Status: Offline
Points: 2328
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 8:06pm
Poor old finger painter out of sorts atm.

He's restricting his activity on limited threads
Because the dummy can't answer some really basic questions .....
Back to Top
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 27264
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

Poor old finger painter out of sorts atm.

He's restricting his activity on limited threads
Because the dummy can't answer some really basic questions .....


Your a man of set ideas Rusty.

Is the ring in your nose uncomfortable.
Back to Top
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion
Avatar

Joined: 13 Oct 2015
Status: Offline
Points: 3206
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

Poor old finger painter out of sorts atm.

He's restricting his activity on limited threads
Because the dummy can't answer some really basic questions .....


Your a man of set ideas Rusty.

Is the ring in your nose uncomfortable.

LOLLOL
Back to Top
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 05 Feb 2013
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 21573
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

What has happened? No large pink tonight? Pressure getting to you?

Oh dear ... that post is almost pure Whale/Rusty!

RUOK?Confused
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Back to Top
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 31 Oct 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 25032
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 10:35pm
I saw a report today that said quite a lot of the ones who left Manus for the USA are wanting to return to Manus.  No welfare and they have to work.   Looks like Trump might be a bit less lenient to migrants than we are here in Ozz.


animals before people.
Back to Top
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion


Joined: 31 Oct 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 25032
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Isaac soloman Isaac soloman wrote:

Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

Poor old finger painter out of sorts atm.

He's restricting his activity on limited threads
Because the dummy can't answer some really basic questions .....


Your a man of set ideas Rusty.

Is the ring in your nose uncomfortable.

LOLLOL


LOLLOL
The finger painter bit is getting old now Cry
animals before people.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.078 seconds.