Join up at Sportsbet - Click here

Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Rain Scald - check your horses today

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giddyup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rain Scald - check your horses today
    Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 10:19am
After nearly six inches of rain last week we've got a first - Rain Scald!  Thought a couple of them had their coats 'go off' a bit after the rain but didn't expect this in Victoria.  Out with the buckets and Napisan this afternoon - might be a good day to check yours too. Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Click here to grab your bonuses when you join up with Sportsbet.

magic_idol View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magic_idol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 10:32am
Napisan ?
Happy Fit Horses Win Races :-)
shiner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 10:36am

Yep, Napisan works a treat on rain scold. Half a cup in  a ten litre bucket and sponge on twice daily.

Horse breeding is like religion, if you don't really believe in what you are doing it is purely social
magic_idol View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magic_idol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 10:37am
Will try it ive been using Potties Green thru to Soberlene with varied resultsConfused
Happy Fit Horses Win Races :-)
bradjm View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 11:01am
Yeah we've had so much rain in qld it's knocking them around

Iodine was then antiseptic cream on any lesions
Campaspe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Campaspe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 11:09am
My retirees and my spelling filly all copped it.  We got closer to 11 inches.  Let the attack begin...
giddyup View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giddyup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 12:35pm
Magic, rain scald is basically nappy rash for horses.  Napisan has antibacterial and anti fungal stuff in it - works a treat on anything like scald and greasy heel Wink
wetwetwet View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetwetwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 6:25am
we also had a bit of rain scald last season so will expect the same.Napisan [detergent/]soaker is an interesting option.We use nappy rash cream[bepanthen]on greasy heel.Are you suggesting washing with the napisan in water then treating with bepanthen cream? Advice appreciated.
Fair Embrace View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fair Embrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 8:11am
Copper sulphate and water solution fixes it up in a day or two:-)
giddyup View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giddyup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 1:42pm
Although Shiner's way is probably more effective as it's twice a day, this is what I do.  I buy the 'Babycare' Napisan.  Inside the lid is the cap and I use one of those to a 9 litre bucket of warm water.  Just soak a big sponge in the bucket and squeeze over the horses top line and any down their sides.  I wash the bucket and sponge between horses - probably a bit of overkill!  I do that once a day for three days and then give them a bath in wool wash to try and drop any left over scabs.  As for greasy heel I wash them in Napisan the same way for the three days, then I put lots of nappy rash cream on, wrap in glad wrap overnight and then wash and and leave alone.  In twenty years in Victoria I've not had rain scald or greasy heel like this year - fair dinkum it's like living in QueenslandLOL!!! 
Fair Embrace can you burn a horse with copper sulphate or is it something else I'm thinking of?
JoH View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 3:15pm
Since moving here we've hardly had any rain scald but what I'd previously found effective is pretty similar to Giddyup/Shiner et al.  The main difference is I paint a liberal amount of 'horse oil' all over the scabs and give it time to soak in before doing any washing, scab removal etc.  The horse oil softens the scabs (so they come off easily) and helps stop the skin from drying out with all the washing that is to come.
Touch wood, mud / greasy heel has hardly been an issue but have also found that horse oil works a treat for that too.

That said, I was out of Napisan so am heading out the door to wash one girl with Quit Itch.  Smile
Jim Pike View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Pike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 5:00pm
you know when I was a kid (in the 50's) we always had horses we rarely rugged them and I don't remember any ever getting rain scald, it has to be something to do with human intervention, like acid rain? You know I was reading something the other day that the face of the sphinx is being eaten away in the last 20/30 years and they have been around for 5,000 years with no ill effects, is it any wonder horses are being burnt??
giddyup View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giddyup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 8:50pm
JoH - I agree, not something we see in Victoria very often - this summer the exception though IMO. Our worst case is my daughter's Reining mare who is a paint quarter horse - second worst is one of my T/Bred Broodmares - chestnut with a white sock and she's had a tendency to greasy heel her whole racing life!  Neither have summer rugs on this year as the Reining mare is spelling and the T/Bred mare is busy making a very fast race horse inside her Wink.  Interesting Jim about the acid rain theory - however, in Victoria this year I just think it's been too humid and it helps the bacteria grow like crazy.  (By the way the paint now has a summer rug on as she's losing hair and I'm afraid that sunburn will be her next enemy!)
bowerbird View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowerbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 8:38pm
I have found that Automatic Transmission Fluid is awesome for any rain scauld or fungal infection.  Pour some into a spray bottle and just spray it on.  It is also awesome for healing wounds.

To treat greasy heel just cover it in the fluid, and leave bandaged for a few days, and repeat.  Its a commonly used treatment in the Clydesdale industry as they often have fungal infections in their feathers.
Bowerbird
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic