Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Racing in extreme heat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adolphus twirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Racing in extreme heat
    Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 9:47pm
A number of years ago Brian Mayfield Smith told me he made a mistake of racing two mares at Flemington on a day of 40 degree heat and the horses were not the same again and that he would not make that mistake again. Two years ago, a horse I was racing was scratched because of the expected 40 degree heat. I asked the trainer to monitor his water intake during the day when he would otherwise have had none because he was to race. He consumed many litres of water, so how dehydrated will the horses be even if the races do start at 10.30 am. The last will still be in the hottest part of the day. Just think of the poor animals standing in their stalls without being able to drink enough water to avoid dehydration. You cannot race a horse on a gut full of water ( does not swab if you wish to stop them) but that is exactly what they need . They have to be on course two hours before the races in town and their fluid intake is seriously restricted. Animal cruelty? I thought it was when I scratched my horse.
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 10:09pm
If 1 horse drops dead, the animal rights activists will have a field day.
deejays destiny View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejays destiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 6:50am
Rules have been amended for tomorrow, only need to be on course 1 hour pre-race and "misting" water will be sprayed throughout the stalls.
deejays destiny View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejays destiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 6:51am
A reduced time for horses required on course before racing of one hour, instead of two

- Monitoring of wet bulb globe temperature, a measure of heat stress taking into account the effects of direct sunlight, ambient temperature, humidity and wind speed 

- Misting machines operating in the horse stalls and hoses available in the mounting yard 

- Allocating extra veterinarians on course to inspect horses and monitor post-race recovery

- Reduced time in the mounting yard

- Large containers of ice water in mobile containers available in the mounting yard
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 8:34am
Originally posted by deejays destiny deejays destiny wrote:

Rules have been amended for tomorrow, only need to be on course 1 hour pre-race and "misting" water will be sprayed throughout the stalls.

Thats at big tracks.   You ever been at the country tracks and seen them standing in the hot dusty tie ups, on cement,  under a corrugated iron roof ?  After travelling many miles in the back of an old hot truck .  No water misting there !Cry
animals before people.
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 8:35am
Has there ever been a meeting called off during the meeting because of heat?
marscay View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marscay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 9:00am
All Saturday Victorian meetings have been called off.

MV Friday still going ahead.
fisherman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 9:08am
How do they deal with the heat in Darwin and Northern Queensland. Is it just that the horse are used to it?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 9:13am
I'd suggest that perceived acclimation has something to do with it but also with the spotlight on Vic presently, there'd be pressure to avoid any heat related catastrophe, even ones that could be construed to it. We did have the heaters on less than a week ago Smile
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 9:16am
Scone in NSW seems to be going ahead ??   and if its hot else where its stinkin' hot there .   I dont think I have ever seen a meeting in country NSW called off due to heat.  
animals before people.
Daraabah View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daraabah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 9:28am
Walgett (in country NSW) annual race meeting was called off last year due to extreme heat. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Daraabah Daraabah wrote:

Walgett (in country NSW) annual race meeting was called off last year due to extreme heat. 

I missed that one  !  Interesting its been the only one, as we know how hot it can get west of the divide !
animals before people.
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2015 at 12:07pm
Due to local Mexicans passing large amounts of wind, causing the thinning of the Ozone and extreme temperatures... Vic races are off tomorrow.

Elle Ninyo
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 11:48am
Not limited to racing either; this in England during their heatwave.

Owner’s warning after horse suffers ‘terrifying’ heatstroke

Eleanor Jones 07:04 - 14 July, 2018

The owner of a horse who exhibited severe colic symptoms when she was suffering from heatstroke wants to raise awareness of the condition.

Jo Linton’s seven-year-old mare Gwendyame had only jumped one class early last Saturday morning (7 July) and had drunk a bucket of water and been washed down before she was transported home.

She was then hosed again on arrival at her Hampshire yard and put in her stable but some time later, Jo realised she was not well.

“It was terrifying,” Jo told H&H.

“It looked like colic but she was standing with her back legs out behind her and I wasn’t sure if she was tying up.

“She was desperate to go down so I walked her round, in the sun, but I didn’t realise she was suffering adverse effects from the heat.”

Jo’s vet Eamon Smyth of Equivet gave Gwen electrolytes and medication, and told Jo to keep the hose on her.

“As soon as we got the water on her, she stopped trying to go down,” Jo said.

“She was a lot happier once the vet had treated her but we spent about 40 minutes hosing and scraping.

“It was absolutely terrifying and I think a lot of people haven’t experienced this so I wanted to raise awareness; I was walking her round as I thought it was colic but in the heat, that could make it worse.”

Jo added that owing to the amount Gwen had drunk and been hosed, and as she had only jumped one round early in the morning, heatstroke had not crossed her mind.

“It was so unlucky and I’d never seen it before,” she said. “I just want other people to be aware, to help other horses.”

Mr Smyth explained that heatstroke in horses has similar symptoms to colic in that the horse often wants to go down so it can be hard to differentiate without knowing the history.

“Competing and travelling in the heat can predispose them to it,” he told H&H, adding that horses “don’t always know when” to drink, especially at shows, or seek shade.

“Part of heatstroke is dehydration and even if the horse has drunk, it’s hard to know when travelling, competing and travelling back, how much water it needs,” he added.

Mr Smyth said the symptoms can be more severe with heatstroke than with impaction colic, which can also be caused by heat and dehydration, as food matter in the horse’s colon dries out.

His advice in either situation is to call the vet and to prevent either, horses can be encouraged to drink by adding mint or apple juice to water. They should also be kept in the shade and hosed down as much as possible after work and travelled in cooler parts of the day when possible.

Electrolytes can also be given but owners are warned that if electrolyte paste is given to a horse as if it does not drink afterwards, it can make dehydration worse.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 6:37am
I'm guilty of believing Myth 2, 3 & 4 & acting accordingly Disapprove

HORSES, HEAT, SWEATING, COLD-WATER, COOLING, SCRAPING

At the risk of preaching to the converted, as a few people are still sending me articles, often written by lay people, sometimes from vets, and telling me how wrong I am, I thought I'd try a pictorial approach 🙂

Per litre, Ice-Cold water (0-5°C) removes heat faster than evaporation of 1 litre of water or sweat.

Per litre, the complete evaporation of 1 litre of sweat or water removes 13x more heat than 1 litre of ice-water.

MYTHS

Myth 1 - “You should never put cold water on a hot horse"
Explanation - Ice-cold water(0-5°C) on hot horses does not cause shock, laminitis, kidney damage, muscle damage, tying-up or heart attacks!

Myth 2 - “Water left on a horse will heat up and insulate and make the horse hotter."
Explanation - Flawed physics! Water is a better conductor of heat than air. A wet horse will actually cool faster than a dry one, even if humidity is 100%.

Myth 3 - “Scraping is essential." Explanation - Scraping just wastes time that could be better used putting more water on to cool by conduction. Scraping also wastes water when water is in short supply. Water which could evaporate on the horse. Water evaporating on the ground doesn't cool horses down.

Myth 4 “Concentrate on large veins, arteries inside the back legs, large muscle groups"
Explanation - NO. Cooling by evaporation or conduction works by cooling the blood flowing through the small blood vessels in the skin. The more skin you cool, the quicker you cool the horse. Apply water all over.

How do I know all this? 25 years working on equine thermoregulation. 20 plus scientific papers on equine thermoregulation. Working with endurance horses in the Gulf. Advising the racing industry on prevention and management of heat-stroke. Working with Governments on heat legislation. Working with charities on thermal stress. Working on the 1996 Atlanta, 2004 Athens, 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. Currently working on the 2018 Tryon World Equestrian Games and Tokyo 2020 Olympics. Author of the FEI Guidelines for National Federations on the management of horses in thermally challenging conditions. https://inside.fei.org/…/Session_6_Optimising_performance_i…

Straight arrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 6:46am
Makes sense. Blown away some old fashioned teachings. As we evolve we find different ways. But horse racing personal find it hard to get change. As I have been banging on about in the regumate thread!! Also happing with whip rules!! How archaic is the use of the whip these days. And no I don't mean ban it all together. Just stop showing these people that have absolutely no idea we are cruel people. If hitting a hors behind the saddle was banned there will still be 8 races 8 winners nothing will change except a better looking article
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 7:04am
I have never understood why our horses when entering the mounting yard after a race are not met with buckets of water ?
reductio ad absurdum
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 7:14am
Why not have a water trough there even djebel? Wouldn't take much to set up and would show the activists that racing is looking out for the horses.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Straight arrow Straight arrow wrote:

Makes sense. Blown away some old fashioned teachings. As we evolve we find different ways. But horse racing personal find it hard to get change. As I have been banging on about in the regumate thread!! Also happing with whip rules!! How archaic is the use of the whip these days. And no I don't mean ban it all together. Just stop showing these people that have absolutely no idea we are cruel people. If hitting a hors behind the saddle was banned there will still be 8 races 8 winners nothing will change except a better looking article

Golly, I said that years ago, somewhere on here, and got howled down LOL  The bit about horse racing people finding it hard to change from the dark ages into today,s modern times.  How they just stick their head in the sand and refuse to move with the times, and so leave the game wide open for the likes of "peta" to get a foot in the door.
animals before people.
 Post Reply Post Reply