Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Tributes Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

R.I.P. Banjo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R.I.P. Banjo
    Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 6:22pm

John Letts pays tribute to Melbourne Cup pony Banjo

• LINCOLN MOORE
  • The Advertiser
  • April 21, 2015 5:04PM
John Letts with Banjo at Flemington. Picture: Stephen Harman

John Letts with Banjo at Flemington. Picture: Stephen Harman

LEGENDARY jockey John Letts says he has lost a great mate after news Australia’s most famous lead pony Banjo had died following a bout of colic.

Letts rode Banjo in post-race interviews during the Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival for more than 20 years.

The pair became synonymous with the Melboure Cup and, despite retiring from his role last year, Letts said it was a sad day.

“The news hit me pretty hard this morning,’’ Letts said.

“He’s a very special horse to me. He was with me for 22 years.

“Everybody loved him and he loved everybody.

“I’ll miss the old bugger.’’

As well as leading in some of racing’s greats, Banjo, 27, was also a key member of the Victorian Apprentice Academy, teaching young riders like Craig Williams, Vlad Duric and Sam Hyland early in their careers.

Letts named Banjo — a stock horse whose real name was Trewarrick Impulse — after his owner who shares a surname with the great bush poet, Andrew “Banjo” Patterson.

Letts said he was hopeful Banjo would be honoured by the Victorian Racing Club at Flemington.

“He was part of the furniture during the Flemington carnival for a long time,’’ he said.

“I’m sure the VRC will honour him one way or another, which would be great to see.’’

Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.

Campaspe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Campaspe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 6:35pm
RIP old boy.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 6:47pm
Lettsy's had his own health problems over recent times, battling cancer and more.
Hope he kicks on in face of Banjo's demise.
crooked_gambler View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crooked_gambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 8:25pm
Was just thinking of him the other day,
rip old mate.
This space has been intentionally left blank
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 7:31am
RIP Banjo.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 9:06pm
 What a great old fella.  I remember Patto had him at Melb Royal one year, doing god knows what, but from memory Patto was in a leapord skin print centurion,s costume.  Embarrassed I have pics.  I just didnt lable the pics at the time, so think it might have been to do with chariot races, altho i know Banjo didnt chariot race.  
R I P Banjo.
animals before people.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic