Follow us on twitter
Vinery Stud

Join Sportingbet
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by filling out the web form on our Home Page. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Prophets Thumb Print

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prophets Thumb Print
    Posted: 24 Oct 2009 at 6:53am
Said to be the mark of a good horse, apart from Fields of Omagh are there any other well known horses with one of these? Interesting theory
Sponsored Links
No betting account? JOIN NOW for a $100 Free Bet ñ 200% Deposit Bonus!

nod. View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2009 at 2:32pm
Interesting theory?? nah, just silly nonsense.
La Pez View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote La Pez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2009 at 4:29pm
There are also many unknown horses with those.

There's also a theory about certain kinds of whirls in the hair and the number/length of socks. I really don't see much to those kinds of ideas though. 
kiwi88 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2009 at 7:06pm
Just read it on a site about FOO and it said that so was curious as I had never seen another horse with one.
kornjulio2 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kornjulio2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2009 at 12:07am
pure fantasy....had a breeder talk me into one when i was starting out.....was very very slow
bowerbird View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowerbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2009 at 10:58pm
Whorls are also supposedly a sign of a great horse ...... Miss Finland had 3 on her face.
Bowerbird
equinegal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote equinegal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 1:04am
My foal last year was born with the "thumb" imprint Thumbs Up. In keeping with the so called "good luck horse" scenario, I also freeze branded her 88 over 8LOL
the bushman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the bushman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 3:05am

whether it is true or not  i don't know but it gives an added part to your dreams so cannot be badBig smile

Botanica View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Botanica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 7:02am
wives tales.
lotto7 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lotto7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2009 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by kiwi88 kiwi88 wrote:

Said to be the mark of a good horse, apart from Fields of Omagh are there any other well known horses with one of these? Interesting theory

Strapped one years ago. Won some races but certainly no champion or even top class galloper.
nod. View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2009 at 12:06am
Reality -it is a hoofprint [indentation] caused by the way the foetus is lying. End of story.
On The Range View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote On The Range Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2009 at 12:40am

A prophet’s thumb print is said to be caused by the position of a hind foot during foetal development, in that the hoof is resting on the neck when the foal is curled up in his mother’s belly. That it is the mark of a good horse is one of the many old fashioned superstition-like sayings. Lots of horses have them and probably more slow than fast.

Most horses have whirls too and they are even used to identify racehorses that lack obvious markings, in fact it’s rare to find a horse without whirls.

It has got me thinking about those old sayings, most I learned when I was a kid. Here’s a few I remember, others here may know a few more:

A blood mark was the sign of good blood or a well bred horse. It’s a dark patch of hair usually seen on chestnuts and greys. (That arose from the days of station bred racehorses when there were many dubious pedigrees. It’s not that common, but I have seen lot with it.)

Making a snorting sound while working is the sign of a strong horse. (I now know that happens to a horse with small nostrils, hardly a strong horse trait?)

Two white eyes are the sign of a mad horse. (Maybe a smidgeon of truth to this one? But not always true).

Plow/draught horses wore brasses on their harness (pendent like badges made of brass) to ward-off bad luck. (Today many trainers have brass buckles on their race bridles, most just because it looks nice though).

And the old socks saying (not the original version but close): 1 sock buy him, 2 socks try him, 3 socks deny him, 4 socks pass by him.  (I have met a lot of nice horses with 4 white socks and the best horse I’ve ever bred had 3)

As kid I always loved the “One One was a racehorse” poem. You would write it like so:

1- 1 was a racehorse

2- 2 was 1-2

1-1- 1- 1 race

2-2 -1-1-2

From then on anything with 1 1 on the shoulder “was a racehorse” and I have often heard other people say this. It’s just a bit of fun, however I have seen a few good ones branded that way.

More recently a fun one: if you are hosing down a yearling for the first time and he lets you put the hose in his mouth with gently running water, you say “aaahhh, he’s a racehorse” because he’s letting you wet his mouth.

And another I heard from a trainer with I think it was Malaysian owners, when inspecting a horse the first thing they would do is walk up and wrap a hand around the horse’s ear and if the ear was bigger that the owners hand they would say “Donngki” “he no good” and just walk away.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote On The Range Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2009 at 12:43am

Sorry Nod didn't refresh before posting and failed to see your post.

nod. View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2009 at 2:25am
Yours was much more interesting OTR -especially the bit about the ears. I won't buy a horse unless it has decent sized ears, the longer the better, and P Moroney agrees .
Don't no why, it's just something noted over the years.
Mr Prospector View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2009 at 2:33am
Originally posted by On The Range On The Range wrote:

A blood mark was the sign of good blood or a well bred horse. It’s a dark patch of hair usually seen on chestnuts and greys. (That arose from the days of station bred racehorses when there were many dubious pedigrees. It’s not that common, but I have seen lot with it.)

I was told and have always called them Bend Or spots . I,ve just always assumed that they originated or were at least present on the stallion Bend Or but have never had that confirmed .
Maybe someone else can add something extra ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote On The Range Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2009 at 2:53am

Thats interesting Mr P, I’ve never heard it called that before. It’s an old term, sometimes used by vets to describe the mark on racehorse I.D’s. It’s more of a mottled patch than a spot.

Leads me to say that Sir Tristram could produce the odd horse with white spots and I had one out of a Sovereign Edition mare that looked like an appy, he had black and white spots?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic