Print Page | Close Window

Ride Like a Girl

Printed From: Thoroughbred Village
Category: All Sports - Public Forums
Forum Name: Joffs All Sports Bar
Forum Description: Visit the famous All Sports Forum to chat with friends about any sporting topic
URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=64515
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 9:01am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ride Like a Girl
Posted By: jujuno
Subject: Ride Like a Girl
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 8:26pm
perhaps it should be re-titled 'Hatch-ing a Champion Jockey'.  

I wonder if he's flattered, being portrayed by Sam Neill? 

the idiot protesters were there to welcome Rachel Griffiths and co, at the premiere...do they really think they'll make a difference...?

I'm going to see it this week...I suspect there will be a few truths stretched in the name of art...

-------------
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...

Replies:
Posted By: crooked_gambler
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 8:42pm
Doesn’t open to the general public for a couple of weeks.
Will be interesting to see how they portray Weiry

-------------
This space has been intentionally left blank

Posted By: jujuno
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by crooked_gambler crooked_gambler wrote:

Doesn’t open to the general public for a couple of weeks.
Will be interesting to see how they portray Weiry

Just saw that. I assumed it would be on because the Ritz had a special preview tonight.

-------------
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...

Posted By: Passing Through
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 9:20pm

Ride Like a Girl filmmakers ignore Darren Weir scandal, celebrate Michelle Payne's victory

https://www.abc.net.au/southwestvic/" rel="nofollow - ABC South West Vic  
By  https://www.abc.net.au/news/abc-local/matt-neal/10092648" rel="nofollow - Matt Neal

Rachel Griffiths's biopic about  https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-03/michelle-payne-rides-prince-of-penzance-to-melbourne-cup-win/6908594" rel="nofollow - Melbourne Cup-winning jockey Michelle Payne,  Ride Like a Girl, will remain unchanged despite horse trainer Darren Weir being banned from horseracing for four years.

Key points:

• The producer of Ride Like a Girl has elected not to change anything in the film after the controversy surrounding key character and horse trainer Darren Weir
  • Weir was banned earlier this year from horseracing for four years for using electronic prods on his horses
  • Director Rachel Griffiths said the controversy was "not relevant" as she wanted to make a feminist sports film "that would make men cry"

Weir played an integral part in Payne's history-making ride on Prince of Penzance, with actor Sullivan Stapleton (Animal Kingdom, 300: Rise of an Empire) cast to play him.

Police and racing authorities raided Weir's Warrnambool and Ballarat stables in January this year.

He was arrested and released, but was later  https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-06/racing-victoria-hearing-darren-weir-ban/10784224" rel="nofollow - banned from racing for four years  by Racing Victoria for using electronic prods known as jiggers on his horses.

It was a dramatic fall from grace for one of Australia's leading horse trainers.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-10/michelle-paynes-victory-celebrated-as-filmmakers-ignore-scandal/11484880" rel="nofollow - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-10/michelle-paynes-victory-celebrated-as-filmmakers-ignore-scandal/11484880

-------------

Posted By: Tlazolteotl
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 9:30pm
An inspiring true story of a courageous young woman who battled brutal oppression but triumphed to become the worlds best jockey.Thumbs Up

I rate this tearjerker - 4 hankies.Cry

-------------
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Posted By: TJMitchell
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 9:36pm
Sullivan Stapleton been out and about doing any press?

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 9:39pm
Haven't seen him.

-------------

Posted By: VOYAGER
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:37pm
With the fact we see tv series and films about far worse people, such as Charles Manson and Carl Williams, I have no problem with Weir being portrayed in a movie.

-------------
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise

Posted By: TIGER
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:53pm
Spice the movie up by showing Darren Weir needling and zapping the hell out of P.O.P in the saddling enclosure

Looks good though and good luck with the movie M.Payne

-------------
EAD

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 10:58pm
Might just wait for it to be on TV
Doesn’t sound like something i would pay To go and watch

-------------

Posted By: Dr E
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 1:36am
Don't mind that they leave Weir's corruption out of it ... it is likely to have plenty of fiction anyway ... just let it be entertaining!Cry

If it were a doco, and they tried to "soup it up"Embarrassed with BS - say like they did with "The Australian Dream" - people will just turn their back on it.

-------------
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 7:18am
What’s her sexuality got to do with anything?
She’s got a boyfriend

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 2:47pm
Exactly my point, everything these days is turned in to a sexuality Sh/t show

-------------
EAD

Posted By: Tontonan
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 9:31pm
Who mentioned her sexuality ?  Has something been taken down ?

I keep re-reading the thread but I can't find anything to do with sexuality at all.

An inane query re. her sexual preferences which has no place on these forums.

Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 9:36pm
Agree.

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 9:48pm
Some comments have been deleted

-------------

Posted By: Tontonan
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 3:07am
Cheers.  Fair enough too.  

Thanks for the clarification.  I thought I was losing the plot.  

Posted By: Gay3
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 12:18pm
Activist stupidity knows no bounds LOL

https://www.facebook.com/CPRLies/?__tn__=kC-R&eid=ARDfyDW6T34F26IlN2kGVzgnqoKLl2akFW6pPxsfs2fZ0SHozqW7-LMOkO09TGFSkDPpQi5Yhhgi8jBc&hc_ref=ARRscaXhjt5GXBXkaiiWLXRnAJJg4I8NVDGlegFY-StOrfrLT2szfNuijNqgJ0zwMa4&fref=nf&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARAbKCCvR8oZOi_J24OTZObvrxt-0Jte1_nh2-U7z8je9VITcHkkJAukrrZz8imhsEy4HZLkjqMkSte2kqunwMHCNzjcZM4L0VFfc35UUG8XR2GxSyVvv22RqtgNliFYOP-ec4RxBzB-aT12R4OBH-RP3hnn5y_lVOVdhuYcZMe4vGnpjyQ9ySA6G4fouCKdShQhK824kRxe5TTLVQR0ijVziEgYNIbEGDQmj9b2ndzGvBYZjOxzjAysBorAlC-DkaUMnnhmfws0NLQJseKn8nfTCAq5ZR4mPRJA7zLrA_7zh2EB5rh1VAu9mAZ0DMwtCc1kn8hbXOBq27lhusWuRjK3Lyksofz5_xCxNhDK8C_7KKdrtoHc0eQ" rel="nofollow - Coalition For the Protection of Racehorses - Exposed
https://www.facebook.com/CPRLies/photos/a.558490694231454/2551616674918836/?type=3&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARAbKCCvR8oZOi_J24OTZObvrxt-0Jte1_nh2-U7z8je9VITcHkkJAukrrZz8imhsEy4HZLkjqMkSte2kqunwMHCNzjcZM4L0VFfc35UUG8XR2GxSyVvv22RqtgNliFYOP-ec4RxBzB-aT12R4OBH-RP3hnn5y_lVOVdhuYcZMe4vGnpjyQ9ySA6G4fouCKdShQhK824kRxe5TTLVQR0ijVziEgYNIbEGDQmj9b2ndzGvBYZjOxzjAysBorAlC-DkaUMnnhmfws0NLQJseKn8nfTCAq5ZR4mPRJA7zLrA_7zh2EB5rh1VAu9mAZ0DMwtCc1kn8hbXOBq27lhusWuRjK3Lyksofz5_xCxNhDK8C_7KKdrtoHc0eQ&__tn__=-R" rel="nofollow - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ·
ANIMAL ACTIVISTS SCORE SPECTACULAR OWN GOAL IN THE TALE OF TWO TAY TAYS

The https://www.facebook.com/coalitionfortheprotectionofracehorses/?__tn__=K-R&eid=ARAX4j9_EUuKOdqgmsiQ_b-LqH9ey5F-915SXriC4sEhQzNk60ioSFQcwPql4AQ9o5ItnKoon62Lp97u&fref=mentions&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARAbKCCvR8oZOi_J24OTZObvrxt-0Jte1_nh2-U7z8je9VITcHkkJAukrrZz8imhsEy4HZLkjqMkSte2kqunwMHCNzjcZM4L0VFfc35UUG8XR2GxSyVvv22RqtgNliFYOP-ec4RxBzB-aT12R4OBH-RP3hnn5y_lVOVdhuYcZMe4vGnpjyQ9ySA6G4fouCKdShQhK824kRxe5TTLVQR0ijVziEgYNIbEGDQmj9b2ndzGvBYZjOxzjAysBorAlC-DkaUMnnhmfws0NLQJseKn8nfTCAq5ZR4mPRJA7zLrA_7zh2EB5rh1VAu9mAZ0DMwtCc1kn8hbXOBq27lhusWuRjK3Lyksofz5_xCxNhDK8C_7KKdrtoHc0eQ" rel="nofollow - Coalition for the Protection of Racehorses latest pathetic attempt to attack the https://www.facebook.com/ridelikeagirlmovie/?__tn__=K-R&eid=ARDqY7gNmgRwcWz9fxvcRtfdYE0EkI0r8qpGwu70zk4ThWCvEDPV9W5fNrxhT62rd5WUx-J71b2Rxxd9&fref=mentions&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARAbKCCvR8oZOi_J24OTZObvrxt-0Jte1_nh2-U7z8je9VITcHkkJAukrrZz8imhsEy4HZLkjqMkSte2kqunwMHCNzjcZM4L0VFfc35UUG8XR2GxSyVvv22RqtgNliFYOP-ec4RxBzB-aT12R4OBH-RP3hnn5y_lVOVdhuYcZMe4vGnpjyQ9ySA6G4fouCKdShQhK824kRxe5TTLVQR0ijVziEgYNIbEGDQmj9b2ndzGvBYZjOxzjAysBorAlC-DkaUMnnhmfws0NLQJseKn8nfTCAq5ZR4mPRJA7zLrA_7zh2EB5rh1VAu9mAZ0DMwtCc1kn8hbXOBq27lhusWuRjK3Lyksofz5_xCxNhDK8C_7KKdrtoHc0eQ" rel="nofollow - Ride Like A Girl movie is to make comparisons to the recently unveiled statue of AFLW player Tayla Harris, which has spectacularly backfired.

We realise CPR aren't known for their research skills, but you think they would have worked out that Tayla goes to the races, is an ambassador for harness racing and racehorse owner.

In just a few days CPR have publicly attacked Taylor Swift for using her profile to promote horse racing, whilst celebrating Tayla Harris who uses her profile to promote horse racing!

Both Michelle Payne and Tayla Harris deserve equal praise, gender equality isn't a competition.

Animal activism however, is highly competitive, it's all about who can shout "Look At Me" the loudest and make the most ridiculous social media post.

-------------
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!

Posted By: Nocturnal
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 7:16pm
Went to see the movie today , very underwhelming and fanciful for a true story ..

-actors trying to be jockeys
-jockeys trying to be actors , didn’t work
-horses being loaded into the melb cup gates hairier than a Greeks back
-a lot of airtime at Weir stables and not a jigger or jogger for that matter in sight
-surely old man Payne can not be as bigger ass as portrayed
- written by a feminist for that audience I would suggest

One woman clapped when she won the race , I wonder what she thought was going to happen?

I suspect it will have appeal to the racing fraternity but appeal to the wider community might be minimal .
I note Leigh Paatsch , film reviewer for the Herald sun gave it 2/5 and a caning . Shame but have to agree .

-------------
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 7:29pm
Thanks Noccie, that's a shame, and what I feared ... oh well, might wait for the Netflix release coming very soon.

Maybe they will donate it to schools with a virtue signaling Lesson Plan, like they have with Adam Goodes' recent flop. 

-------------
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!

Posted By: Redemption
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 8:30pm
Its hard to even come close to the Phar Lap film.
Phar Lap is one of the greatest films ever made, globally.
It is certainly the best Australian movie ever made. And by quite a distance.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 8:33pm
Better than Kinscem?

-------------

Posted By: SkyDancer
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 8:53pm
I think they have altered a few facts to suit an agenda.
Thought it was gelati. 1/5

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 3:55am
So far as horse racing movies go, I liked Sea Biscuit and Secretariat, and without saying, Phar Lap, but one of them beats Let It Ride.Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 3:55am
*none

-------------

Posted By: marble
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 8:09am
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

*none

great movie Doc - best race was when he asked everyone for their tips until there was only one horse left no-one had tipped. Up it gets!

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 1:02am
LOL... I shouldn't really laugh though.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 1:59pm
Apparently it has more appeal to the non racing fraternity.

After less than 2 weeks in cinemas, RIDE LIKE A GIRL has become the highest grossing Australian film of 2019. The box office total now stands at $5.3m.
https://www.transmissionfilms.com.au/films/ride-like-a-girl" rel="nofollow - Ride Like a Girl

RIDE LIKE A GIRL was released on 26th September by Transmission Films and it is currently screening at 280 cinemas around the country. It is the feature directorial debut of Rachel Griffiths and it stars Teresa Palmer as Michelle Payne and Sam Neill as her father Paddy Payne. Stevie Payne has been receiving critical acclaim for playing himself in the film.

Director Rachel Griffiths said “RIDE LIKE A GIRL’s dream run continues. It shows the unmet appetite for positive female stories. In a good year for Australian film we’re ecstatic that this film is being embraced by all ages. We’re only in our second week and we hope to be a stayer – but audiences are going to see it a second time so this horse still has a long race to run.”

Richard Payten and Andrew Mackie from Transmission Films said:  “We’re delighted audiences are loving and recommending this wonderful movie. Michelle Payne’s story is enthralling cinema goers from very young to very old. She’s a heroine for us all. We’re hearing reports of audiences cheering ‘Go Michelle!’ in the cinema.”

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 2:19pm
Not a surprise Gay.

Those that Michelle has pi#$ed off within the industry would never go and see the movie and non racing Australians would only know her from that one race.

If you did not know anything about the family's situation or her career, or her clash with just about every section of the industry, then the movie is a pretty good story.

-------------
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise

Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 2:22pm
I believe most of what you've said about Michele, her family and reputation in the industry resides solely in your own mind Voyager.

Posted By: acacia alba
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 3:17pm
What about those she hasnt p***ed off tho ?    She cant possably be disliked by everyone, Voyager. The family have all done well for themselves, and not everyone dislikes them.  In this bubble we call equal opp  racing, not everyone can like everyone else, and obviously she has popped your balloon at some time LOL

-------------
animals before people.

Posted By: Sister Dot
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 7:02pm
A real true blue Aussie family, kids these days would faint at the thought of having to do the hard yards those kids did? I wish Michelle and her beautiful family the best of everything life has to offer. Don’t know if it’s still in print, but the Payne family book by Kneebone is a great read.

RACHEL BAXENDALE
VICTORIAN POLITICAL REPORTER

11:00PM NOVEMBER 4, 2015
When racing writer Tony Kneebone wrote his book on the Paynes in 1996, family patriarch Paddy Payne warned him it was “probably premature, because the little one is likely to end up better than the lot of them”.

It was a bold prediction about an 11-year-old with nine older siblings, seven of whom were already professional jockeys, but on Tuesday Michelle Payne proved her fathe­r right, storming home atop Prince Of Penzance as the first female­ jockey to win the Melbourne Cup.

The win was very much a family affair, with her brother Stephen, who has Down syndrome, key to her success as the strapper for the Darren Weir-trained horse, and winner of the No 1 barrier draw.

Five of their sisters and two brothers were at Flemington as much to cheer Michelle on as to be there for sister Cathy’s husband Kerrin McEvoy and sister Maree’s husband Brett Prebble, who were also riding horses in the Cup.

For their 79-year-old father Paddy, Michelle’s victory was no less sweet for his not having been there. He shunned the crowds in favour of his couch at Miner’s Rest, north of Ballarat, and the company of his chocolate labradors, and watched the race on TV.

“I thought when she came around on the straight, I thought, ‘gee, she’s going bloody good here’, and home she got. It looked easy,” the veteran trainer said yesterday.

The Paynes have had their share of tragedy, Michelle losing her mother, Mary, to a car accident when she was just six months old, and eldest sister Brigid in 2007, when she died of a heart attack after having a seizure, which may have been connected to a fall during trackwork.

Looking up at a photo of Mary, which sits in pride of place next to a statue of the Virgin Mary draped in rosary beads in the family cabin­et of photographs and trophies, Paddy Payne said his wife would have been extremely proud had she lived to see her baby’s success.

“Michelle’s a bit like her. She was a good woman,” he said of Mary, who moved to New Zealand aged 15 as one of eight children of Swiss migrants.

The Paynes had eight of their 10 kids at Taranaki, on New Zealand’s North Island, before moving to Miner’s Rest for a two-year “trial” that didn’t end.

One photo shows big sister Therese, who reportedly used to fall asleep at school after long nights getting up to feed Michelle after their mother died, and Mich­elle, younger than two and yet to get all her teeth but nonetheless beaming in a dress and fascinator.

For Mr Payne, Stephen’s triumph as the strapper was at least as important as Michelle’s. “I rang up the Down Syndrome Association and I said to them, ‘well this kid’s done good’ and I reckon it was because he was brought up normally with all the other kids.’’

RACHEL BAXENDALE

-------------
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 7:06pm
I wonder if the Weir charges will have any impact , Griffiths has hidden it in the scripting for her own and the movies/ investor benefits ... maybe the movie punter won’t put 2 &2 together ??

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 9:48pm
Whooa everyone, do not kill the messenger

I have nevr met Michelle Catherine, Patrick, or any of the Payne family, so I would not have any idea of what they are like.

My reasoning is that after her post race interview, media types (Richard Callendar who ironically likes the movie, and some male trainers who are based in country Victoria) came out with the old, I have used Michelle and she should not put all male participants in the same boat line).

Then there was a period there, where she firstly got her dual license that some trainers thought she was a little outspoken about the hardness of the tracks, and said she should be conentrating on the riding and training, when at the same time male trainers agreed and said the same thing, and nothing was said.

I actually like Michelle and her straight forward upfront attitude, and I am just using what responses she has garnered from her comments and thoughts, compared to when men have said what she has said.

I was just saying that in all industries, businesses and organisations when you get a movie made about a person, there are those who will not watch the movie.

I would be very interested to see how the movie has done in Victoria. I would feel that the movie's main areas of business are outside Victoria.

I do not really like the guy, but I would think a good script writer could make a good movie out of Glen Boss's life, but I bet you not all the racing industry would go and watch that movie either.    

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 9:51pm
I think its way too late for the Weir dramas to have much impact on Michelle, and the film.  The results arnt going to change now .  Too long ago.  
The normal film goer who likes a good story, and loves to see girls winning, wont let Weir,s troubles reflect on Michelle.
Its just us tragics who want to hash over it all and some want to attempt to place blame on her, because for various reasons they dont like Michelle, or she got beaten on their sure thing, or they dont like girl jocks, or.  The list goes on and on .
And I reckon Stevie is a born star.

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 9:56pm
Fair enough, Voyager.Thumbs Up
I did hear them say on TV that in the first week the movie has made over $5 million at the box office.
Of course,  I am going to stick up for M , simply because she is a female jock Big smile  Even if the old man is a God-Botherer Wink  He raised his kids well.
Its a good story around the Australian Legendary Horse Race.
Best of luck to it.

-------------
animals before people.

Posted By: Redemption
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 6:36am
I think the sad part of the whole Weir debacle, is Prince of Penzance was actually a damn good horse, and had a nice little swim and walk through the water at Warrnambool the day before the Cup.

Jiggers or not, the horse had a nice natural lead up to the race, Michelle loved the horse, and she nursed him into the straight with impeccable timing.
It was one of the greatest rides in Cup history, because they went so slow and Michelle was the one that got the timing right.
She beat a decent field, on a 100-1 local, and jiggers played little to no part in the result of this one.
It was the brilliant timing of her ride that won the race. She beat them fair and square.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Redemption Redemption wrote:

I think the sad part of the whole Weir debacle, is Prince of Penzance was actually a damn good horse, and had a nice little swim and walk through the water at Warrnambool the day before the Cup.

Jiggers or not, the horse had a nice natural lead up to the race, Michelle loved the horse, and she nursed him into the straight with impeccable timing.
It was one of the greatest rides in Cup history, because they went so slow and Michelle was the one that got the timing right.
She beat a decent field, on a 100-1 local, and jiggers played little to no part in the result of this one.
It was the brilliant timing of her ride that won the race. She beat them fair and square.

It was a fairy tale out come for Michelle but to suggest the horse won fair & square is a bigger fairy tale . Yeah I am trying to picture how it may have gone down..... ‘Jack all those up but don’t touch POP as he is going to win the Cup fair & square’ give me a spell Redemption

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 4:11pm
This story is now a well documented work of fiction. One should not lose sight of the fact that POP was a handy horse, was overs at 100/1 (because of the girl jockey) and was going to run an honest 10th after a benign ride, until BOOM! ... carnage and half of the field is knocked down, the gap openned like the Red Sea, she was able to stay on and the rest is history. It's also notable that since the trainer was outed, she has had to get a dual licence just so she can get a ride ...

Personally, I like her, and wish her all the best of luck and success - racing had been missing a female role model like her for decades.

-------------

Posted By: maccamax
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 4:18pm
POP missed the start from 1 barrier and was forced to take a sit .

Was overs for sure Doc, on the Course record 2nd in the Mooney Valley Cup lead up , after leading and setting a sizzler pace.

Won the Cup despite the Lady Rider.....    

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 12:14pm
We have a MELBOURNE cinema refusing to screen the movie in light of the ABC sensationalised doco on the industry wastage .
They have had a couple of hurdles to overcome with the Weir drama and now this. They managed to sweep the Weir controversy under the carpet , rightly or wrongly, although I feel this is a little over the top to blame them for. Yes I know it is industry related but still it has nothing to do with the movie. . Another vegan grandstander perhaps ?

-------------

Posted By: djebel
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Nocturnal Nocturnal wrote:

We have a MELBOURNE cinema refusing to screen the movie in light of the ABC sensationalised doco on the industry wastage .
They have had a couple of hurdles to overcome with the Weir drama and now this. They managed to sweep the Weir controversy under the carpet , rightly or wrongly, although I feel this is a little over the top to blame them for. Yes I know it is industry related but still it has nothing to do with the movie. . Another vegan grandstander perhaps ?

Free publicity for said cinema. 

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by Nocturnal Nocturnal wrote:

Free publicity for said cinema. 

Yeah true , it is in Northcote , the vegan tree hugging epicentre

-------------

Posted By: Shawy38
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 2:43pm
Nothing wrong with being vegan. Or being concerned about our environmental future for that matter.

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

Nothing wrong with being vegan. Or being concerned about our environmental future for that matter.

Said no meat eater ever

-------------

Posted By: Shawy38
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 3:58pm

Posted By: JoH
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 4:13pm
Any business can seek to claim what they deem to be the moral high ground by whatever means they see fit .... 
however, if that business is a cinema, especially one which hasn't seen fit to make ANY 'moral' stand re the movies of Polanski, Allen, Weinstein et al then I'm afraid this looks more like virtue signalling BS than anything else. 

-------------
suck it up ... Life isn't run at w.f.a. :)

Posted By: Isaac soloman
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 4:54pm

he major nominees list: AACTA AWARDS

BEST FILM

— HOTEL MUMBAI: Basil Iwanyk, Gary Hamilton, Julie Ryan, Jomon Thomas

— JUDY & PUNCH: Michele Bennett, Nash Edgerton, Danny Gabai

— THE KING: Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner, Liz Watts, David Michôd, Joel

— THE NIGHTINGALE: Kristina Ceyton, Bruna Papandrea, Steve Hutensky, Jennifer Kent

— RIDE LIKE A GIRL: Richard Keddie, Rachel Griffiths, Susie Montague

— TOP END WEDDING Rosemary Blight, Kylie du Fresne, Kate BEST LEAD ACTRESS

— HOTEL MUMBAI: Nazanin Boniadi

— THE NIGHTINGALE: Aisling Franciosi

— RIDE LIKE A GIRL: Teresa Palmer

— TOP END WEDDING: Miranda Tapsell

— JUDY & PUNCH: Mia Wasikowska

Posted By: Baghdad Bob
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 5:13pm
To those who are unfamiliar of Melbourne suburbs, Northcote is smack in the middle of loopy leftist heartland. Northcote is within the council of Darebin, which is noted for amongst other loopy left campaigns, wanting to rename Australia Day, and renaming Batman Park to Gumbri Park because Batman, a founder in early Melbourne had transgressed the local indigenous in the early 1800’s.
No doubt this theatre felt that because there could be a cloud hanging over POP’s Cup win when trained by D Weir it was best to cancel all sessions.

Posted By: TJMitchell
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 5:18pm
Strange they haven't pulled the film directed by a lady born in China Wacko

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 9:03pm
Sorry, too much to edit but an interesting post from an ex jockey Smile
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008647037305&__tn__=%2CdC-R-R&eid=ARC5J0lCz1zexXZ-IEkXfNpTb-Lpq8FBqt6aBdn-G5m2YmUKLym1XP5BVLd_sq3oiWQlo9Z1wTssPbn5&hc_ref=ARTybA1CdjmuzY1YzrQ87myLN5c24X0CCxjFAQnrjwk51sXPs6xA15fIOEB43woeqzA&fref=nf" rel="nofollow - Gavin Stratton  to  https://www.facebook.com/groups/125821467571943/?ref=nf_target&fref=nf" rel="nofollow - EX and current Jockeys and Trainers Club

Took my Wife on a Date this Arvo went to see Ride Like a Girl. Wow was my first thought i found it very emotional for me. Which I thought was odd. I could understand what Michelle went through when it came to Wasting I had 2 years of it. Living on Lettuce Leaves, Sweat Runs, Saunas, Piss Pills, Epsom Salts, ended up with Ulcers but that’s where it ended for me that was the only comparison I had with Michelle in my riding career. The Movie to me was not just about what Michelle achieved. For a jockey any jockey male or female to just get a ride in the Great Race But Win is something only a Very Few achieve. But to be the First Female well what can I say. The Shear Determination, Will,Guts against Very Long odds was Pretty Special. To me the movie was a Testament to all the Female Jockeys that came before Michelle and as an Ex Male Rider from the 70s it was pretty cool to sit back and watch a Very incredible story been told. I know Darren Weir has been in the news for all the wrong reasons lately but man you have to take your hat off to the guy. Michelle had 22 rides on that horse so it was not a knee jerk reaction or a Fluke that Michelle was on the horse. He stood up for her when it Counted and he was more than Rewarded. Congratulations to Michelle and her whole family. There Father Paddy who was pretty good mates with my Dad and Father in Law here in NZ before he shifted his Family to Oz created a Racing Dynasty from Very Humble Beginnings and in that itself was a Great story to be told on its own. With all the gelati going on in Our Industry here in NZ at the moment it just Shows you that Michelle Payne is a Perfect Example of what can be achieved in Life. Congratulations Michelle and Very Good Luck for the Future you are a True Inspiration.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 10:54pm
We have just got home from seeing the movie at the local tonight.  I thought it quite good, and for non race riders it certainly gives one some idea of what its like  out there in the middle of a race.  Good on her for all her hard work and perserverence, and Stevie is a STARStar

-------------
animals before people.

Posted By: brave_ponies
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 8:40pm
It's very naughty but someone elsewhere suggested the sequel should be called Ride Like a Pig

She has no class nor talent and the more she opens her mouth the more she proves it.

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 2:42am
Yep no talent.

I can't remember the last good rider to win a Melbourne Cup on a $101.00 chance, it was ........................uhm………………..uhm, still thinking, wait I think I have it, no slipped my mind again.

The fact that Michelle did something that George Moore, was never able to do, on a horse which no one gave a chance, must say something about her talent, surely.

Oops wait a minute she is a women, so that means she only fluked that win, as if no male rider has ever fluked a win in a Melbourne Cup.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 6:09am
Payne has talent no doubt about it, but the owners can put what ever jockey they want on without being called names or being called sexist

-------------
EAD

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net