Print Page | Close Window

Anti-Communist Protests Hong Kong

Printed From: Thoroughbred Village
Category: All Sports - Public Forums
Forum Name: Joffs All Sports Bar
Forum Description: Visit the famous All Sports Forum to chat with friends about any sporting topic
URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=64404
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 9:09am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Anti-Communist Protests Hong Kong
Posted By: Redemption
Subject: Anti-Communist Protests Hong Kong
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 9:49pm
Anti-Communist protesters have taken over Hong Kong airport.
This is truly escalating now, as defiant and brave Kong Kong citizens rise up for Democracy in their bid to fight off Communist China.

Replies:
Posted By: Tlazolteotl
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 9:54pm
They are entitled idiots. Are they closet Muslims? They are acting like they want to be martyrs.

-------------
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 9:59pm
I know, very very brave. They are willing to die to fight off the Communism.
As it stands right now, Hong Kong would rather live under the Union Jack of Great Britain.
Maybe even more than British people do. And thats not a joke.

Posted By: rusty nails
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

They are entitled idiots. Are they closet Muslims? They are acting like they want to be martyrs.

From what I see, many are desperate not to be absorbed by the mainland regime.
They see this as their time to make a stand.
There will be plenty of martyrs, by the look of it.

I don’t see them as entitled,inn any way

Posted By: Gay3
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 10:32pm
Sadly there's only one way this can go Cry No world power wants a war with China so there'll be nothing forthcoming but the odd piece of political rhetoric!

-------------
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!

Posted By: djebel
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 11:13pm
I'll bet the racing community say zero and do nothing in support of their fellow citizens.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 11:56pm
Are the extremely violent and we'll organized peaceful protesters funded through a CIA back channel, NED?

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 12:40am
Violence is committed by Chinese Mafia. They have 3 gangs in Hong Kong and have been attacking innocent citizens.

Hong Kong citizens are simply desperately trying to stop becoming the next enslaved Communist robots.

Posted By: TIGER
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 1:15am
People of Hong Kong want the English empire back in charge

-------------
EAD

Posted By: Isaac soloman
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 1:40am
Chinese police are turning on the media.

The chinese government is paranoid.

Posted By: slowdown
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 3:23am
my sister lives there. she sent me a video last night of rows of police vans heading out to the airport. its not going to be good....

-------------
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.

Posted By: Passing Through
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 10:22am
A bunch of anarchists mixed in among actual protesters getting out on the streets  destroying stuff and firing petrol bombs at police is not going to stop China taking possession in 2050 of the colony ''taken'' from them by the British.

Typical of all these types of events they are infiltrated by groups on both sides who use the event as cover for their hard-line political and anarchist activities.

If legitimate citizen protester groups want to maintain any credibility and support they need to pull back on allowing themselves to be associated by the violent disruptive destructive ''civil disobedience'' stuff. It wont have any benefit for their cause anyway. Can only end badly.

-------------

Posted By: oneonesit
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 10:30am
By 2050 they will be all out here anyway

-------------
Refer ALP Election Promises

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 10:35am
That was the attitude in 1997. 50 years is so far away, most involved in signing HK back to China will be dead in 2047.

It is now almost half way there and that time seemingly gone in a blink. Children of those people are now left to own the problem. Bit like climate change and out of control debt, it becomes a reality for someone sometime.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 10:39am
You got my post all wrong PT. Good people. I want them out here - every one of them will hopefully mean one less spot available for the Islamic middle eastern types.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 10:43am
Maybe you should double post that one in the I am a racist threadWink

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

A bunch of anarchists mixed in among actual protesters getting out on the streets  destroying stuff and firing petrol bombs at police is not going to stop China taking possession in 2050 of the colony ''taken'' from them by the British.

Typical of all these types of events they are infiltrated by groups on both sides who use the event as cover for their hard-line political and anarchist activities.

If legitimate citizen protester groups want to maintain any credibility and support they need to pull back on allowing themselves to be associated by the violent disruptive destructive ''civil disobedience'' stuff. It wont have any benefit for their cause anyway. Can only end badly.

Ohhhh, are Indigeneous Australians going to do the same by 2050, reclaim their lands, "taken" by the British?

Go back to work Hong Kong, you arent being obedient servant Communist robots.
How dare you risk your life for freedom.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 11:13am
Errm Redemption, it has already been signed back, remember the big ceremony in 1997 with Chris Patton and all that?.

2047 is inevitable, not negotiable. 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 11:14am
*Patten for Googlers

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 8:16pm
2047? So they are 28 years early?

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 10:22pm
Time for China to re-negotiate.
What are they going to do, roll in the tanks and murder over a million people???

Hong Kong citizens are now marching with American flags, singing the American national anthem.
Not a good sign China.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 11:21pm
They dont really have to do anything for 28 years if they dont want to. Just depends on what condition they are willing to take their property back in after the destructive tenants are gone.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 11:34pm
The world is about to witness China murder many people.
China, the tv's are on, the internet is on.

Get ready to watch how Communism TRULY works and the total devastation.
So far, an estimated 80 million people dead from it, and counting.

China is in for a very big shock when nations hunt them down for the unthinkable they are thinking of doing right now.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 9:26am
Very disturbing developments overnight with the anarchists in the protesters group singling people out from inside their group, tipping their belongings on the ground to go through them beating them parading them around the airport while beating them some more. At least one of the people beaten was a journalist doing his job, They also disarmed a policeman and beat him.

PS the world is not going to do anything.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 10:51am
PT, Chinese mafia are sabotaging protests. Even western media has covered that.
The Hong Kong citizens are protesting peacefully.
Any of the violent antics have been committed by Chinese Mafia. 

Should China inflict mass harm on Hong Kong people, it will still be regarded as Crime against Humanity, so no matter how you dress it up and your loyalty to scum Commie China, the world will indeed intervene and slam China for it.
They are on the verge of attempting to either murder or imprison, protesters. And the world is watching.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 10:59am
Redemption, i have said several times that these futile protests have been hijacked by anarchists, but instead of not turning out for next weeks protest to distinguish themselves from those anarchists, they will turn out again next week and the disrupters will also. Violence will escalate and any sympathy the actual protesters have will evaporating fast, if it isn't too late already. People are being held hostage in airports, people who have nothing to do with HK issues and just want to get home or enter the place. Buildings and public stuff is being destroyed. 

Trump wants nothing to do with it, saying he hopes they sort it out.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 11:00am
I've finally found a conspiracy theory that Redemption won't sign up to - the protest leaders are trained and funded by the CIA.Wink

-------------

Simon Cameron

Posted By: Whale
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 11:06am

Redemption, i have said several times that these futile protests have been hijacked by anarchists, but instead of not turning out for next weeks protest to distinguish themselves from those anarchists, they will turn out again next week and the disrupters will also. Violence will escalate and any sympathy the actual protesters have will evaporating fast, if it isn't too late already. People are being held hostage in airports, people who have nothing to do with HK issues and just want to get home or enter the place. Buildings and public stuff is being destroyed. 

Trump wants nothing to do with it, saying he hopes they sort it out.

Not unusual for various groups to attach themselves to protests, sure the Vietnam protests had many disaffected groups with agendas inserting themselves into the mix.
Doesn't matter, if the protest is for the right reasons that is all that counts

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 11:18am
It is a futile cause.

It is also inevitable there will be deaths. Who will own them?

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 11:27am
Strange comment from a champion of justice PT
Let's not protest because we may not be successful Confused

Don't know how futile it is , China may make some small concessions, already the extradition clause has been suspended for the time being, we will see what happens in the future

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

Don't know how futile it is , China may make some small concessions, already the extradition clause has been suspended for the time being, we will see what happens in the future

The more violent the protestors are the less likely they will get a positive result for HK people. They are either wannabe martyrs, anarchists or idiots.

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 11:33am
Whale if you lease a property to someone and you want it back, you give notice that you want it back(in this case 50 years) Your tenants decide they like it there and start wrecking the joint. What would you think or do?

HK returns to China in 2047 as per their lease agreement which ended in 1997. They are now  in an agreed 50 year transition period. This stuff will not change that, it will just make the intervening period more ugly than it needs to be.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 11:37am
Is the protest about that, I would have thought it is about current concerns, although 2057 may be a motivating factor ?

What do the protesters want?

The extradition bill was suspended by the territory’s chief executive, Carrie Lam, in mid June, but protesters want it officially withdrawn. In addition to demanding Lam’s resignation, the protesters are calling for:

• The complete withdrawal of the proposed extradition bill

• The government to withdraw the use of the word “riot” in relation to protests

• The unconditional release of arrested protesters and charges against them dropped

• An independent inquiry into police behaviour

• Implementation of genuine universal suffrage

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 11:39am
Nothing is certain, Taiwan is part of China too, apparently

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 11:39am
Video from Channel NINE's Renae Henry, up close to a policeman being tied up and held hostage. This wont go down well.

https://twitter.com/renaehenry9/status/1161308306016632832?s=20" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/renaehenry9/status/1161308306016632832?s=20

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 11:44am

Is the protest about that, I would have thought it is about current concerns, although 2057 may be a motivating factor ?

What do the protesters want?

The extradition bill was suspended by the territory’s chief executive, Carrie Lam, in mid June, but protesters want it officially withdrawn. In addition to demanding Lam’s resignation, the protesters are calling for:

• The complete withdrawal of the proposed extradition bill

• The government to withdraw the use of the word “riot” in relation to protests

• The unconditional release of arrested protesters and charges against them dropped

• An independent inquiry into police behaviour

• Implementation of genuine universal suffrage

The HK administration agreed to not go forward with the extradition bill. It has grown into something well beyond that now. They now want changes to the way the HK administration is selected(currently voted on from a group of Beijing approved applicants), the current head of govt Ms Lam to step down and less input from China in the running of the state. 

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 11:50am
This is a pretty good explanation of the bigger picture from BBC Goes right back to the Opium Wars and the leasing agreements.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-48607723" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-48607723

Also a good concise description of the Opium Wars. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-02/modern-china-and-the-legacy-of-the-opium-wars/10172386" rel="nofollow - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-02/modern-china-and-the-legacy-of-the-opium-wars/10172386

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

The more violent the protestors are the less likely they will get a positive result for HK people. They are either wannabe martyrs, anarchists or idiots.

that statement rather proves the validity of your signature Wink

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 2:24pm
Redemption you might have to start an India/Pakistan thread soon.

Trump has made another gigantic mess there.Wink 

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 3:01pm
Only on tbv would you find those AGAINST the Hong Kong protesters.

And wow pt you and trump are in agreeance!!!

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 3:39pm
I am not against the protesters, they are engaged in a futile effort, but are entitled to peacefully do it not getting in anyone's road or infringing on others rights.

I am opposed to what this thing has developed into, the same as Paris, hijacked by people with a violent political agenda on both sides.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 3:40pm
No, Trump and I are not in agreeance on this.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 5:37pm
Oh PT, you are just going to be upset that in Hong Kong, where will the English go for their cheap duty free electronics?

As it stands right now, Hong Kong citizens are 100% heroes to the free world.
Their brave stance is a fight for democracy.

But oh, ABC is busy telling us the tourists flights have been inconveniently delayed. LOL
Sorry ABC, but the fight for freedom to stop oppressive China, comes with a few inconveniences.

Posted By: maccamax
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:11pm
Hong Kong can't win this one and the quicker they pull back and accept small mercies , the better.

No one to help them, in what has been decided on their future.

One step too far and some Tanks might roll ,   We don't want the likes of that again.

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 9:46am
The airport authority was successful in getting their interim injunction against the protesters occupying the airport again. The protesters declared they would hold their protest outside the airport instead and would be back last night. They didn't turn up. 

Maybe the ugly pictures coming out of the airport yesterday and sliding support influenced them to call it off?

Next moves all round will be interesting but if they were hoping for support from Trump or the US Administration they were woefully misinformed on that. Trump has tied himself in so many knots he cant say anything at all.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 11:19am
Can we please just have one thread that PT does not contaminate with Trump comments. 

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 11:27am
Deary me oneone, I know he is totally abrogating America's position as world leader and you struggle to make obvious connections, but he is very relevant to this thread. 

I know we all have T***p(just for youLOL) fatigue but he is unfortunately for the time being still the number one player in this and most games.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 11:29am
What does Izzy think about HK ?

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 11:31am
They are all going to hell unless they give him $10 million and apologise.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 11:33am
Ok - understood. But just for me - try having at least one Trump free day a week. Substitute a dedicated Folau day if you find the cold turkey approach a touch hard !

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 11:34am
I know the Izzy thread is floundering but that sounds a bit too needy oneone.Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 11:36am
PS I post in it most days to bump it up and stop it from sliding in to page 2 for you. Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 12:29pm
Hopefully these protest are still going when the Racing industry wakes from its slumber and they start attacking the millionaires play grounds.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 1:23pm
The protesters have been out and about apologizing for their bad behavior but committed to peaceful protest. Hopefully they have signed up a better PR firm than the one who was advising them. They have 28 years of peaceful protesting in front of them potentially.

Hong Kong airport protest

HK protesters apologise after airport chaos, take day to regroup

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 12:23am
Ohhhhh, so according to ABC news, its Trumps CIA that has stirred up the protests in Hong Kong, not a nation rising up against communist rule. Something Australians should be doing.

The Communist left said the same thing about the 1956 Hungarian Revolution, that it was just a minor skirmish, stirred up by the CIA

Same people, same old argument.

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 9:56am
Did Viktor support the Communists position in the revolution? He wasn't alive during that time but he became head of the Young Communist movement, so presumably he was sympathetic to Communism and their positions.  

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 1:42pm
You are referencing a compulsory part of his schools education.
This was at a time, Communism was still attempting to kick people in the guts and spreading their propaganda.

Orban, due to his Cathoilc beliefs, started realising the extraordinary harm to society and indeed a nations culture, that Communism had in Hungary and many parts of the world, in particular a core statistic that Communism has killed over 80 million people globally (a conservative figure).

Orban is a Royalist and Nationalist.
He is set to become Hungarys longest serving and most successful Prime Minister.

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 1:50pm
You run for office as a deliberate intentional action. You don't accidentally become Treasurer of an organisation.

Orban in an interview said he  ''considered himself a "naive and devoted supporter" of the Communist regime''

He allowed George Soros to pay for his scholarship to Oxford studying political science.

Sounds pretty willing to me.

PS Did he repay Soros when he turned on him?

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 1:51pm
PT, are you upset that the great Viktor Orban massively rejected Communism as a young adult?

"get around him boys, he is one of us, he is a commie, one of us".

No PT, he is NOT one of your boys, so dont claim him in your group.
Orban rejected evil Communism. Its called "seeing the light".

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 2:00pm
I am just wondering whether Orban is a man of principle and paid his debt or like most authoritarian dictators just walked away and is now calling for the man who got him started to be locked up. 

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 2:58pm

Pro-China rally in Melbourne condemning Hong Kong protests delayed over fake council permit

A pro-China rally planned for Saturday in Melbourne to condemn the clashes in Hong Kong has been postponed after a letter claiming to be an event permit from the Melbourne City Council was confirmed to be fake.

Key points:

• Sydney's pro-China protests will go ahead at Belmore Park on Saturday
  • Chinese media has called the fake council permits "a trap" for pro-China protesters
  • It's still unclear who created the fake permit letter and their intent

A well-known local Chinese media outlet, Australian Red Scarf, first announced the pro-Beijing protests in Melbourne on their WeChat account last Friday, accompanied by an image of a letter saying the council approved the "Support One China Principle" event to be held at the State Library in Melbourne.

About 100 people were expected to gather in front of the State Library in the morning, and countered by a collective of pro-democracy groups including Hong Kong, Uyghur and Tibet activists. Pro-Hong Kong and pro-China rallies are also planned at the Martin Place Amphitheatre and Belmore Park in Sydney on Friday and Saturday respectively.

The protests come  https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-10/hong-kong-protests-spread-across-australia/11398832" rel="nofollow - after student demonstrations between the pro-Hong Kong and pro-Beijing camps have seen confrontations  over the past fortnight, ranging from scuffles at the University of Queensland (UQ) to peaceful hours-long debates on the footpaths outside Monash University's Clayton campus in Melbourne.

On Wednesday, the ABC approached the Melbourne City Council about the letter — which claimed the council approved the pro-China rally — who then issued a statement on Twitter announcing that the letter was "fake".

"The City of Melbourne does not issue permits for protests or demonstrations," the statement read.

"However, we encourage anyone planning an assembly, demonstration or rally to let Victoria Police and the City of Melbourne know so that we can plan for any effects on parks, public places, streets and footpaths and notify affected businesses and services.

"We are working with Victoria Police in relation to any possible protests that may occur over the weekend."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-16/pro-china-protest-delayed-over-fake-melbourne-council-permit/11416848" rel="nofollow - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-16/pro-china-protest-delayed-over-fake-melbourne-council-permit/11416848

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 3:02pm
The Russians did that exact stuff in the 2016 US election. Held rallies to spread lies and propaganda using trending causes and candidates as cover to get permits.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 7:07pm
Soros is an international scumbag, who cant see the light.
Orban is a nationalist who has seen the light.

Soros has had many years to redeem himself as a human, but never has. Sick to the core.

Orban would happily give money to decent people, not a to a sick scumbag like Soros.
So thats a big no, Orban wont be donating any money to Soros.

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 11:06am
Hong Kongers, we salute you.  Very brave. Clap

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 11:14am
Redemption, what has happened regarding the guy that triggered this whole original extradition thing back in June?

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 10:14am
Oh well, we knew it couldn't last.

Hong Kong protests descended into violence over surveillance concerns on the movement's 12th weekend

ELLEN CRANLEY
  • Pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong broke a nearly two-week peaceful streak as protestors and police clashed in a cloud of tear gas and makeshift weaponry.
  • A peaceful march had been planned to push back against the government-installed “smart lampposts” that sparked concerns over state surveillance.
  • Some protestors reportedly began to dismantle lampposts as others wielded slingshots, poles, iron bars, and bricks against police, who broke a 10-day streak of not firing tear gas into the crowds.
  • more...

Read more at https://www.businessinsider.com/hong-kong-protests-violence-tear-gas-surveillance-2019-8#muUCjtxeD4AQgDWD.99" rel="nofollow - https://www.businessinsider.com/hong-kong-protests-violence-tear-gas-surveillance-2019-8#muUCjtxeD4AQgDWD.99

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 10:18am
    Pretty dumb conspiracy theorists, everyone knows it isn't the lamp posts you have to worry about, it is the microwave. Click defrost and out pops Obama intruding on your privacy. Every dumb  Trumper even knows that.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 12:55pm
    Is that Microwave made in Commie China?

Posted By: maccamax
    Date Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 1:17pm
    Originally posted by Redemption Redemption wrote:

Is that Microwave made in Commie China?

NO ....       Only PT.

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 1:33pm
    Dont worry maxie Donald will go back from France with all the answers provided to world leaders.

''Only I can fix it'' 2015-16

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 1:36pm

Dont worry maxie Donald will go back from France with all the answers provided to world leaders.

''Only I can fix it'' 2015-16

would be nice to think he would learn from Macron  one of the best world leader, but the orange fool is too arrogant for that Ouch

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 9:35am
    He is out of his depth there with actual leaders Whale.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 10:47am
    And what has Nazi Macron ever done with his life, before he married his Grandmother?

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 10:56am
    Former economy minister Emmanuel Macron was elected president of France in 2017, making him the youngest president in the country's history.

Who Is Emmanuel Macron?

Born in 1977 in northern France, Emmanuel Macron attended a series of elite schools before joining the French Finance Ministry in 2004. Following a four-year stint at an investment bank, he joined President François Hollande's staff in 2012, eventually becoming minister of economy, industry and digital data. After forming the centrist En Marche! party in 2016, Macron became a surprising frontrunner in the presidential race. He defeated National Front leader Marine Le Pen in May 2017 to become, at age 39, the youngest president in French history.

Early Years and Education

Emmanuel Jean-Michel Frédéric Macron was born on December 21, 1977, in Amiens, France. The eldest child of two doctors, Macron distinguished himself with his intellect at an early age, displaying an aptitude for literature, politics and theater.

After attending the local Jesuit school La Providence, Macron completed his high school education at the prestigious Lycée Henri IV in Paris. He went on to study philosophy at Nanterre University and public affairs at Sciences Po, before graduating from the elite École Nationale d’Administration in 2004.

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 10:56am
    President of France at 39 is not too shabby an achievement.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 10:57am
    VIVE LA FRANCE GIF - BleuBlancRouge ViveLaFrance France GIFs

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 9:41am
    The freedom loving seems to be going well. Thumbs Up

Give us what we want or we will destroy the place.  

Hong Kong: riot police pursue pro-democracy protesters from airport

Activists take over shopping complex and vandalise rail station after trying to choke city’s international hub

Thousands of demonstrators in  https://www.theguardian.com/world/hong-kong" rel="nofollow - Hong Kong  have paralysed traffic and shut down transport links between the city and the airport during another day of protests demanding democratic freedoms in the semiautonomous Chinese territory.

On Sunday, demonstrators attempted to lay siege to the airport to draw global attention to the city that has been plunged into political crisis for the last three months.

Travellers were stranded as an express train linking the airport to the city and several bus lines were suspended and roads were heavily congested. About two dozen flights were cancelled and more than 40 others delayed as staff and passengers struggled to reach the airport.

The protest began in the afternoon when protesters dressed in black, with helmets and masks, some armed with plastic and metal poles, descended on the airport in Lantau island, blocking roads and forcing travellers to abandon their cars and drag their luggage the rest of the way toward the airport.As hundreds of riot police arrived, they quickly retreated to a nearby town of Tung Chung, where they overtook a shopping complex and vandalised a metro station. Protesters smashed CCTV cameras and the windows of a control room, and flooded the station with water, setting off emergency sirens.

Protesters scrawled on the walls: “Glory be to Hong Kong,” and “Black police” – the black being a reference to gangsters. One group lit a makeshift barricade on fire and another burned a Chinese flag, a gesture aimed at antagonising Beijing.

“The government has not answered us, so we keep coming,” said Engred Lai, 18, a protester dressed head to toe in black and wearing a gas mask. more...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/01/hong-kong-protests-subway-to-airport-shut-down-as-activists-out-in-force" rel="nofollow - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/01/hong-kong-protests-subway-to-airport-shut-down-as-activists-out-in-force

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 11:47am
    China, if it were actually smart, would not only keep Hong Kong as a free and prosperous capitalist haven, but actually enhance its capital power and its influence in the world.

But China, being dumb scummie commie oppressive authoritarians, would rather enhance slave labor on mass.
    Pathetic as usual, and marching to the same dumb beat that has historically proven a very wrong beat.

China is spiritually void. Lost.

Hong Kongers will get global support and rock China to the core.
    Soviet Union fell. China is next.

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 11:51am
    China could have taken back full possession in 1997 but chose not to, allowing a 50 year transition period.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 1:09pm

China could have taken back full possession in 1997 but chose not to, allowing a 50 year transition period.

Which will affect these protesters children.

No point demonstrating when it is all over, now is the time.

Some lives will probably be lost including innocent ones but sadly that is the price of fighting for your freedom.

-------------
    reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 1:21pm
    Do you think the Chinese govt will say that they are moved by these protesters destroying the joint and just let them be beyond 2047?

I dont, they want their property back and will take possession of it. It was taken from by force by a colonial power and they are just taking back what belongs to them

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 1:33pm
    I am very sympathetic to these people, I wouldn't want to live under Chinese rule, but they have had 50 years from the start of the transition and 28 left to move. I would be spending my time trying to find a country to move to...Australia maybe. 

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 2:05pm
    Not that simple is it ?

I am sure it is for the money people but those less qualified are left there to suffer.

-------------
    reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 2:15pm
    It is not a simple solution but I cant see how facing off with China in a violent way can help, nor maintain the support they largely hold.

My father's family were faced with the same situation in the 30s in Europe with the rise of Nazi Germany, stay or risk German occupation. Half made it out to Australia and the US, half stayed and did it very tough. I am pleased my father was one of the children his dad decided to bring here.

A miracle might take place, but I think most should be thinking of moving as they did in the 1850's during the troubles there, with many coming here, many to Canada.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 3:22pm
    China is re-enacting Genghis khan. The invading force.

Pt your defense of China is touching but they are on power trips.
    Since when were was Africa, the pacific islands, Sri Lanka etc ever theirs? All over the world China has a finger in it, up too their elbows in some places.
    And they are having a play for Australia.

It is resources they want to feed and house their burgeoning population. Not to lose face, power and money.

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 3:25pm

Harrowing video that shocked Hong Kong shows cycle of escalating violence

Hong Kong: The video footage that flooded social media and television screens was harrowing: passengers cowering on the ground inside a train carriage, huddling and hugging each other.

Black clad special forces police storm through the train, wielding batons. More police, dubbed “raptors” by Hong Kong’s protest movement, stand at the doorways of the carriage - the only escape route - and spray pepper spray directly at screaming passengers.A station announcer calls out repeatedly that it is an emergency.

More video shows police striking a protester already on the ground, squashed beneath a scrum of police knees. When they realise a South China Morning Post reporter is videoing the scene, they try to block his camera. https://www.watoday.com.au/world/asia/harrowing-video-that-shocked-hong-kong-shows-cycle-of-escalating-violence-20190901-p52mv9.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.watoday.com.au/world/asia/harrowing-video-that-shocked-hong-kong-shows-cycle-of-escalating-violence-20190901-p52mv9.html

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 3:25pm
    What does any of that got to do with them retaking possession of their property,  HK?

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 3:27pm
    You are like the Leyland Brothers Isaac, all over the joint.LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 3:28pm

Chinese students in Australia are living in a new media landscape

Most Chinese international students in Australia don't rely on big local outlets such as The Sydney Morning Herald or the ABC for their news.

Instead, they choose Chinese-language tabloid websites that are written and produced in Sydney and serve up local news on the popular Chinese social media platform WeChat with a patriotic bent.

These sites are often critical of mainstream Australian media coverage of important issues to the estimated 620,000 Chinese international students studying here, such as the ongoing Hong Kong protests.Sydney Today and New Impression, two of the largest Chinese outlets, publish a range of content, from crime stories to tips on migration law, food and cultural news.They also run nationalist pieces asserting Australian media is biased against China and sometimes brand stories critical of the Chinese community as "fake news".

In one example, New Impression called reporting by Nine Newsthe ABC and the Herald on conflicts in Australia  https://www.watoday.com.au/link/follow-20170101-p52i4f" rel="nofollow - between pro and anti-Hong Kong democracy protesters  as "extremely distorted".

It said an  https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-20/chinese-death-threats-at-hong-kong-uts-students-lennon-wall/11430440" rel="nofollow - ABC report  that said "death threats" which had been plastered on top of an otherwise pro-Hong Kong democracy poster wall was "deliberately exaggerated" because the threatening posts, which used memes, had been taken out of context.

One Chinese student who worked at a Chinese-language outlet said like any publication they picked stories to appeal to their readers and sometimes used clickbait headlines.

"They don't really mean what they say," the student said. "They want to attract Chinese students."

But she said the vast majority of stories are not political and help Chinese students adjust to life in Australia. "When I arrived here I didn't know about the ABC or The Sydney Morning Herald so we just follow on WeChat official accounts about Australia," the student said.

A https://theconversation.com/how-australias-mandarin-speakers-get-their-news-106917" rel="nofollow -  survey  of 522 Mandarin speakers in Australia last year found about half followed outlets like Sydney Today and New Impression. About 60 per cent of respondents said WeChat was their primary source of news. Only one in five said they regularly read legacy media outlets, Australian or Chinese.

But trust in new Chinese media outlets vary. The student who worked for one said readers "definitely" trusted them, especially when they could verify the information with other outlets.

The Sydney Today homepage features many apolitical articles, including this one about parenting styles.

The Sydney Today homepage features many apolitical articles, including this one about parenting styles.CREDIT:

Another Chinese student at the University of Sydney said she had no faith in Sydney Today.

"They have misguided so many people in the Chinese community and I feel like they don't have a moral principle and understanding that they are the leading Chinese media in Sydney," she saidUniversity of Sydney Professor Nick Enfield, a media researcher, stressed there was diversity between Chinese-language media outlets, but said social media made it easy for people to rely on publications whose perspective aligned with theirs.

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 3:35pm
    Sounds reasonable, they want to access news that suits their views best. 

Australian coverage which is pro HK and Taiwan is totally different to for example The South China Morning Post which is very pro China. I find the BBC has the most even coverage. Maybe they cant get WA Today Isaac.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 3:43pm
    Does tbv monitor and edit viewers pt?

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 3:45pm
    Wot??

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 3:49pm

Big-spending China Inc waits patiently in East Timor, on Australia's doorstep

Dili: Millions of dollars of Chinese heavy machinery and at least 20 Chinese workers are sitting idle on East Timor's south coast, waiting to resume work on multimillion-dollar infrastructure projects.

On a trip to Suai, a town of about 9000 people on East Timor's remote south coast, The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age visited two of the five camps that at their peak housed up to 500 Chinese workers and 1000 locals during construction of the first stage of a sprawling four-lane expressway that will eventually stretch 156 kilometres from Suai to Beaco.The $500 million expressway is part of the $15 billion Tasi Mane project and will link up a series of projects along the south coast that Timor's government is championing.

China's involvement in the project is  https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/china-s-takeover-of-sihanoukville-is-almost-complete-despite-base-row-20190805-p52e44.html" rel="nofollow - another example  of the super-power's rising influence in south-east Asia and the Pacific.The Tasi Mane project also includes a largely-unused upgraded airport near Suai that receives just three or four flights per week but which is bigger and more modern than the Dili airport.

There are plans for an onshore LNG processing facility at Beaco, a supply depot and a refinery - all of which are yet to be built - and which will link into the as-yet undeveloped $50 billion Greater Sunrise offshore oil and gas field.The dusty, careworn camps are mostly empty now because stage one of the expressway, a 34 kilometre stretch that connects the towns of Suai to Fatucai, was completed in November 2018.

Already, the expressway is nearly unusable in parts because of a landslide blocking two lanes heading in one direction and, further down the road, a section of highway headed in the other direction has collapsed and is passable only by motorcycles.

Motorcycles are banned from the expressway but few people own cars in this part of East Timor. We saw one car and two trucks along the length of the road. A dozen motorcycles and a herd of goats were the only other users of the road.

Funding for stages two to four of the expressway has not come through yet from Dili, which is struggling to raise the money to finance all of Tasi Mane. Senior politicians in Dili  https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/east-timor-invites-chinese-investment-in-risky-oil-project-20190829-p52m05.html" rel="nofollow - have said  they would welcome Chinese investment in these other projects, but also suggested they would welcome Australian funding.At the Covec 4 camp, in Zumalae, dozens of Sany and Volvo heavy machinery trucks, including a dozen dump trucks, six diggers, two graders, two bulldozers and two water trucks as well as dozens of shipping containers were idle.

Covec, which is short for the Chinese Overseas Engineering Company, is a subsidiary of the China Railway Group, a Fortune 500 company, is the construction company that built stage one of the expressway.

A Chinese woman at Covec 4, who did not give her name confirmed only that 10 people were living on site now. A man who appeared to be the boss of the campsite prowled nearby, a cross look on his face as he gestured for us to leave the site.

But at the headquarters camp, Wang Qiang, 37, a structural engineer working on the Suai-Beaco highway project, who went to university "near Beijing" and has been in country for about three months spoke to The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age in halting English.Wang, who has also worked on projects in Oman, Mongolia and Tanzania, says 10 people live in headquarters camp, a dusty place with a swimming pool that has fallen into disrepair and where Timorese and Chinese flags fly in the central square.

"Maybe next week or after a few weeks, some guys will come," he says, adding "we are [the] foreign contractor for [the] highway project."

"There are four stages. This is the first. The second, third and fourth haven’t begun. We are waiting for government department to send funds," he says, adding that another company could get the go-ahead to build the project.

Asked about the collapsed section of highway, Wang blames the Indonesian designers. "We are just for construction. We do highway construction, design is for another country.Some people are working here for several years. Our company is a global contractor. We have lots of countries [where there are jobs].

He is at pains to stress that locals are employed on the project too.

"It was more than 1000 locals. We almost always use the locals as drivers, as workers, labourers. [But] if you want skilled workers, skilled labour, maybe we cannot find [among the locals]."

At the inauguration ceremony for stage one of the expressway, Chinese Ambassador to East Timor Xiao Jianguo described the project as the largest infrastructure project in East Timor's history and stressed that the winning Chinese bid was "in accordance with international biding practice and were fair, open and transparent".Xiao also described the expressway as part of China's sprawling,  https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/china-s-trillion-dollar-project-changing-the-world-20180618-p4zm4k.html?_ga=2.145573618.714196886.1567300631-665989263.1543372031" rel="nofollow - trillion-dollar Belt and Road initiative , which involves 70 countries in a network of infrastructure projects around much of the globe that some analysts believe are being used to grow China's soft power.

South Australian Senator Rex Patrick, who travelled with The Sydney Morning Herald and The Ageto Suai as a guest of Northern Oil Gas and Australia for an unrelated story about the company, said the "contrast between Chinese and Australian investment in Timor-Leste is stark, and particularly in the south".

"Australia’s involvement in the Tasi Maine project is non-existent. Meanwhile the Chinese are at least three years ahead of the game, already having erected power lines to connect an Indonesian-built power station, and a 32 kilometre dual-carriageway freeway," he said."China, working through construction companies that are effectively state controlled [a reference to China Railway Group's links to a state-owned enterprise], has made a strategic commitment, designed to foster long term influence in Timor-Leste."

"Australia is not just behind in the game, they are playing an entirely different game."

Edio Guterres, an Australian-educated East Timorese political analyst, who once worked for the opposition Fretilin party, said the Australian government - which spends about $100 million per year on aid to Timor - should rethink how it spends money in Timor.

"Canberra should be thinking about spending its money on different projects," he said.

"Australia has an interest in Timor Leste not going bankrupt. Probably the least Australia would want is to have another failed state on its doorstep," he said.

"I don’t know if there is any discussion in Canberra, but, in nominal terms Australia spends more money on Timor than the Chinese. The only thing is that all this money is not spent on tangible infrastructure projects as such. Australian aid assistance is not spent on a ministry of finance or defence [both of which were gifted by China], they are spent on rural roads and rural schools."

On his visit to East Timor on Friday, Prime Minister  https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/australia-to-support-fibre-optic-cable-lifeline-to-east-timor-20190829-p52m5u.html" rel="nofollow - Scott Morrison announced  Australia would fund the country's first fibre optic link to the world and fund an upgrade to a naval base in the north.

But in his meeting with Xanana Gusmao, the hero of Timorese independence and the most influential politician in the country, who is a leading proponent of Tasi Mane, Mr Gusmao pressed Mr Morrison on the projects.

According to a read-out from the Australian prime minister's office, "a big focus was on Gusmao’s greater sunrise vision; both agreed it was all about jobs". https://www.watoday.com.au/world/asia/big-spending-china-inc-waits-patiently-in-east-timor-on-australia-s-doorstep-20190901-p52msq.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.watoday.com.au/world/asia/big-spending-china-inc-waits-patiently-in-east-timor-on-australia-s-doorstep-20190901-p52msq.html

Posted By: Gay3
    Date Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 3:50pm
    Simple answer Isaac = NO nor all the 'Thanks' points which few seem to be aware of.

-------------
    Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 3:52pm
    Hey Isaac, are you hijacking this thread?

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 3:54pm
    Courtesy of djebel

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 4:57pm

I am very sympathetic to these people, I wouldn't want to live under Chinese rule, but they have had 50 years from the start of the transition and 28 left to move. I would be spending my time trying to find a country to move to...Australia maybe. 

And yet Communism is on the verge of making Hong Kongers self destruct the joint.
    Typical of communism pressures. People fall apart. Good people.

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 4:59pm
    What would you suggest people do that would lead to a practical outcome for them?

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 6:44pm
    Keep protesting.

If people in Hong Kong like their current system, why change it? Why hurt humanity?
    They dont want it changed.
    Why would China be so hellbent on seeing Hong Kong citizens self destruct?
    What do you expect Hong Kongers do, go to some sort of "How to be a happy Communist" school??

Get Dr.Phil to pay Hong Kong a visit and explain to millions of Hong Kongers how Communism can be fun??

China needs to accept that millions of people dont want their communism and instead of denying that fact, they should use their bloody brains and utilise Hong Kong even better on the world capitalist market.

But nahhh, why do that, when you can roll over millions of people in tanks, destroying peoples happiness.

History repeating itself.

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 6:52pm
    China isn't Communist. 60% of it's 2018 GDP came from the private sector and the private sector employed 80% of the workforce. Last year's growth was more than the value of the whole Australian economy. They have 300 billionaires. They are not communist.

The rate China is growing economically it will be bigger than Hong Kong GDP per capita by 2047. HK will be the poor relation. 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
    Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net