Print Page | Close Window

The Ashes 2019

Printed From: Thoroughbred Village
Category: All Sports - Public Forums
Forum Name: Joffs All Sports Bar
Forum Description: Visit the famous All Sports Forum to chat with friends about any sporting topic
URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=64363
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 7:43am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Ashes 2019
Posted By: Afros
Subject: The Ashes 2019
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 9:54pm
Starts tomorrow night.

Langer has parachuted his little mate Bancroft back into the side ahead of Joe Burns who had a big hundred last test start and also Marcus Harris who scored consistently throughout the summer without getting a big score. For me this decision alone should see Langer lose his job if he fails to win the series, picking a bloke with a sub par test record and character issues because he's your mate means you have to get reeults.

Likely XI looks Warner Bancroft Khawaja Smith Head Wade Paine Starc Pattinson Cummins Lyon.

Pattinson already a confirmer starter, I can't see them leaving Starc out given he is at his best with the new ball and Englands brittle top order.

Replies:
Posted By: Passing Through
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 10:00pm

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 10:01pm

-------------

Posted By: marble
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 10:04pm
bancroft will go alright - he's played ok county this year so he's used to the conditions. Opening with warner could be a formidable combo

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 10:05pm

Australia bargain big three breakup as Mitchell Starc falls behind

Australia have traded off the breakup of the fast bowling "big three" by selling  http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/311592.html" rel="nofollow - Mitchell Starc ,  http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/489889.html" rel="nofollow - Pat Cummins  and  http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/288284.html" rel="nofollow - Josh Hazlewood  the idea that spreading the workload among more pacemen will extend their careers, with the captain Tim Paine declaring his team have been "way too reliant" on them.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/272465.html" rel="nofollow - James Pattinson  is guaranteed to play in the opening Ashes Test at Edgbaston and  http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/7898.html" rel="nofollow - Peter Siddle  is also strongly in contention, meaning Starc looks certain to miss out as he continues his transition from ODI lines and lengths to the demands of Test matches, while Hazlewood is also 50/50. Only Cummins is safe in the team of the three bowlers who dominated England in Australia in 2017-18.

Paine admitted that Starc, Hazlewood and Cummins needed to be convinced of the merits of not simply choosing them to play together on the basis they are the three senior bowlers, all with lofty and thus lucrative positions on the Cricket Australia contract list. Added to the unhappy recent history of Australia struggling to adapt to English conditions, Paine said that the team needed to be more selective in how they used the three men who have effectively been joint spearheads of the attack since 2015.

"We've spoken about it to the bowlers. As JL [the coach Justin Langer] said, we're going to pick the team we think is going to win each Test match given the conditions we get when we arrive at those venues and the bowlers are across that," Paine said. "I think that's a great thing for our team - to have a really strong mix of fast bowlers who can all play in different conditions. But as we've said to the fast bowlers, it's actually a great thing for them as well because we can now prolong their careers for a few years. more...

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27292598/australia-bargain-big-three-breakup-mitchell-starc-falls-behind" rel="nofollow - https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27292598/australia-bargain-big-three-breakup-mitchell-starc-falls-behind

-------------

Posted By: Rhino
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 11:00pm
Gee that batting line up is uninspiring. Or brittle.

Posted By: Afros
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 11:41pm
To be fair, Pattinson at his best is probably a better bowler than Starc and Hazlewood, particularly with a red ball. But for injuries he and Cummins could have been the first 2 quicks picked for a few years now with Starc and Hazlewood fighting out for the 3rd spot.

Peter Siddle is the wild card here, I wonder if his selection depends on if Langers other little buddy Mitch Marsh gets his 500th recall? IE Siddle being able to bowl longer spells will boost his stocks if Marsh doesn't play.

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 9:31am
Starc was reported to have had a minor ankle or something niggle. Might be more a case of taking no chances with him and spinning it to take focus off that.

Wasn't Langer playing under the old failed rotation rubbish? Might have drawn inspiration from that.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 8:35pm

Form guide

England WWLLW (last five completed matches, most recent first)
Australia WWDLW

In the spotlight

It's all on you, skipper.  http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/player/303669.html" rel="nofollow - Joe Root  has had a relatively quiet time in his last three England innings - all at Lord's, and none of them doing much to pull his sides out of a top-order funk. But as the captain of a home Ashes series, and knowing full well that his scalp will be prized more highly than any other in England's ranks, Root's bitten the bullet and pushed himself up into that troublesome top three. The logic, on the face of it, seems perverse. A simple 3-4 swap with Joe Denly does little to address concerns about the openers against the moving ball, whereas a promotion for Denly might have allowed Jason Roy a bit more of a chance to bed in at 3 without sacrificing Root's established strength at 4.

His senior team-mates have heard it all already throughout the World Cup, but for  http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/501011.html" rel="nofollow - Cameron Bancroft  - restored to the top of the order after quietly going about his business for Durham in the County Championship - his re-emergence into the glare of the international spotlight promises to be even more intense than that of Smith and Warner. He was, after all, the man caught yellow-handed with sandpaper down his underpants in Cape Town, but added to that is the fall-out from that bizarre Johnny Bairstow head-butting story in the last Ashes, the sort of stitch-up that England's players (and supporters) are unlikely to forget in a hurry. But more importantly, of course, Bancroft has the enviable honour of setting Australia's agenda against Anderson and Broad, armed with the new ball. He might have once feared his career was over for good. Now he's got one hell of a stage for a second coming.

Team news

The top-three whirligig aside, the story of England's selection is the identity of their seam attack. James Anderson has been passed fit following his calf tear four weeks ago, so slots into the XI ahead of Olly Stone, with Chris Woakes set to play only his second Test at Edgbaston - a venue where he boasts Tim Murtagh-at-Lord's-esque figures. Moeen Ali, another Birmingham native, will play as the solitary spinner - no room for Lord's batting hero Jack Leach this time - while England's middle order welcomes back the power couple, Jos Buttler and Ben Stokes. Sam Curran, whose runs against Ireland were also vital in tipping the balance in that crazy contest, reverts to bench-warming once again.

England: 1 Jason Roy, 2 Rory Burns, 3 Joe Root (capt), 4 Joe Denly, 5 Jos Buttler, 6 Ben Stokes, 7 Jonny Bairstow (wk), 8 Moeen Ali, 9 Chris Woakes, 10 Stuart Broad, 11 James Anderson

Extraordinary as it may seem to anyone who watched him in awe during the World Cup, Mitchell Starc seems destined to be overlooked as Australia face up to the flip-side of having such a wealth of fast-bowling options - the inevitability that someone is going to be bitterly disappointed. James Pattinson is guaranteed his first Ashes outing since 2013 after hugely impressive displays for Nottinghamshire and in Australia warm-ups, and with Pat Cummins also inked in, the final seam berth will be between Josh Hazlewood and the ageless Peter Siddle, another whose county form for Essex has encouraged the selectors that he will nail an English length from the get-go. In the batting stakes, Bancroft's 93 not out in that frenzied warm-up at the Ageas Bowl should earn him a shot at post-sandpaper redemption, while Khawaja is back at 3 after recovering from a hamstring strain. Travis Head is the incumbent at No.5, though Mitchell Marsh may yet feature to provide a fourth-seamer option.

Australia (possible): 1 David Warner, 2 Cameron Bancroft, 3 Usman Khawaja, 4 Steve Smith, 5 Travis Head/Mitchell Marsh, 6 Matthew Wade, 7 Tim Paine (capt & wk), 8 Pat Cummins, 9 James Pattinson, 10 Nathan Lyon, 11 Peter Siddle/Josh Hazlewood.

Pitch and conditions

A belter of a pitch is usually in prospect at Edgbaston, though the heavy rain that forced the players to train indoors on Tuesday may yet be a factor in the final preparation. Either way, it currently looks brown and true - none of the unnerving live grass that proved such a factor at Lord's. England, it seems, are placing their faith in their special batch of thick-seamed, heavy-lacquered Dukes balls, rather than the surfaces.

Edgbaston is sold out for the first three days, with a few hundred tickets still available for day four. The weather forecast is not great, but it should at least be pretty dry (if cool) for the first two days.

Stats that matter

• England have an impressive recent record against Australia at Edgbaston, where they have been unbeaten in all forms of the game since the 2001 Ashes.

• Their record against all-comers is every bit as good, with 11 wins in a row since a T20I in 2014, and they are unbeaten in Tests at the venue since 2008.

• This will be the first Ashes series in history to begin in the month of August. Since 2001 England's home Ashes had regularly begun in July. The fifth Test is scheduled to finish on September 16, the latest yet.

• Australia have lost each of their last four Ashes campaigns in England, their worst run since the 1890s.

• The first Test also marks the start of the long-awaited World Test Championship. Teams will collect points over a two-year cycle, ahead of a final in June 2021. There are 120 points up for grabs per series, regardless of length, so 24 per Test in this instance.

-------------

Posted By: djebel
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 8:35pm
If Wade is in the 11 I am cheering for England. 

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 9:37pm
Australia won the toss and will bat.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 9:39pm
Australia XI: David Warner, Cameron Bancroft, Usman Khawaja, Steve Smith, Travis Head, Matthew Wade, Tim Paine (c/wk), James Pattinson, Pat Cummins, Peter Siddle, Nathan Lyon https://twitter.com/hashtag/Ashes?src=hashtag_click" rel="nofollow - #Ashes

-------------

Posted By: Tlazolteotl
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Australia won the toss and will bat.

All over, red rover- Australia wins at Edgbaston!Clap Lyon takes 5 for second innings.Shocked

-------------
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 10:41pm
Goodness, two of the ''Bunnings Three'' are back in the pavillion already with only 17 on the board.

-------------

Posted By: djebel
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 11:03pm
That should catch on #TheBunningThree

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: Tontonan
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 1:46am

Posted By: Brudder_A
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 6:57am
Last 2 wickets for 166 runs....

Wagging that tail!!!!

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 9:35am
Went to sleep when the rain break came, with Australia at 8-154 dreaming about the changes for the second Test and was very pleasantly surprised to see the score this morning. Changes will still be needed.

Todd Woodbridge?? Shocked

-------------

Posted By: Shrunk in the Wash
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 10:23am
Woodbridge features on other shows on the network. I suspect they are grooming him as a presenter

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 2:57pm
It was a terrific day's cricket.  

A lot of credit needs to go to Peter Siddle who came in at 8/122 and gave Smith the support he needed to get to his century and build a viable innings total.  

Broad was excellent but with Anderson out for the match after just 4 overs (and probably out for the series as well)  the English attack was short staffed and began to labor as the day went on.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 3:04pm
Well done sids but he’ll need to come up with the goods with the ball. I’m staggered someone thinks he’s better than Starc

Was Starc injured?

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 3:20pm
Starc was beginning to look like he was held together with sticky tape toward the end of the World Cup but I don't think injury is the reason for being dropped. I think there is a rotation policy in place with the fast bowlers.  

I am not sure I agree with it but in the one over I got to see of Pattinson he looks big, strong and fast.  Looking forward to seeing him build a head of steam in a full spell tonight. 

Posted By: Dr E
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 3:58pm
Siddle's selection seems like a piece of inspiration now.

How about those racist Pommies - booing Steve Smith. 

-------------
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!

Posted By: furious
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 4:11pm
Well it all started when no one in Australia  (particularly the cricket board and people who mattered) stood up and pointed out the bad sportsmanship in South Africa.  Yes the three then went down the wrong path but a bit of support might of created the backup they needed in an extremely unpleasant crowd who were being extremely unfair to Warner and his wife.  Yes tactics used to break him!  Now Australia then went overboard and penalised the players to the extreme. How about cancelling tours of South Africa until the crowd become fairer and more settled!  No one should be put through what that family suffered from with no back up.  Also South Africa and England have had similar incidents with short term penalties.  Why do we always have to be on our high horse and give the longest ones when compared to the rest of the world.

The media is part of the problem but we are not as bad as the crowds overseas but they don't say anything when Australia is coping it.  Steve Smith must have an extremely strong personality to cope with that sort of pressure.

Posted By: Baghdad Bob
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 5:02pm
In view of the way Smith batted and copped so much abuse from the Poms, it certainly shows he is a person of great character, unlike a former Brownlow medalist from the Sydney Swans who could not and would not accept the reasons he was booed late in his football career, yet blamed the booing on racism.

If it was all about racism why are Eddie Betts , Andrew McDonald TW, two current day indigenous AFL players, cult heroes never booed and are appreciated by fans of all clubs?

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 5:35pm
I have no problem with Smith, I think he took the rap as captain, as he should.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 6:02pm
Agree PT but I can’t help but think they have missed a major opportunity to create a culture within the team.
Bring the likes of Bancroft and Warner back in and discarding the incumbents was a horrible move

Posted By: oneonesit
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 6:59pm
All 3 should have been banned for life. What they did was worse than what that young swimmer is being accused of in my opinion. Christ he was the captain of our Test team. No if or buts in their case - blatant pre-meditated cheating. We are all froth & bubble. They should never have been allowed back

-------------
Refer ALP Election Promises

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Siddle's selection seems like a piece of inspiration now.

How about those racist Pommies - booing Steve Smith. 
 LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:01pm
Yes - extremely lucky he is not black !

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

All 3 should have been banned for life. What they did was worse than what that young swimmer is being accused of in my opinion. Christ he was the captain of our Test team. No if or buts in their case - blatant pre-meditated cheating. We are all froth & bubble. They should never have been allowed back

That would be a clear  case for the ACL. Unfair dismissal.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:07pm
Rubbish. Don't try to equate blatant pre-meditated cheating with freedom of religious expression. Only you would try to do that

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:09pm
It is interesting though that you support Smiths return to the game - but want Folau turfed forever (& worse most probably). I know who the has the biggest character weakness - & its not Folau

-------------

Rubbish, both are simple code of conduct breaches. 

-------------

No wonder we are all so petty these days.  I was bullied as a child.  My children had some bullied and some not.  But it isn't the bully who kicks and bites etc who does the most damage.  It is the insidious one who says things to other people or to you.  Who underminds you time and time again till you believe the story.  Believe me you would almost believe anything when they have been at you long enough.  THe whole of South Africa did that to Warner!  He was on pay back which wasn't right.  But the country got away with what they set out to do.  THey found a way in to upset him through his wife.  I find that behaviour bullying and yet Australia did nothing to support him and looked what happened.  He paid a high price for snapping.  

It's so usual for the one being bullied to be called a bully when they turn around and defend themselves.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:12pm

& you obviously think Folaus was worse ! Try thinking that through 

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:13pm
Heard today its gone full circle with my grandaughter now being bullied.  It is rife in the world.  We are all equal and all have a place and gifts to bring to the world.  Stop judgement until you know everything.  I don't know everything but I saw enough to judge what was happening even at a distance.  They paid a high price and now support them as they try to work for themselves, their families and their countries.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

No wonder we are all so petty these days.  I was bullied as a child.  My children had some bullied and some not.  But it isn't the bully who kicks and bites etc who does the most damage.  It is the insidious one who says things to other people or to you.  Who underminds you time and time again till you believe the story.  Believe me you would almost believe anything when they have been at you long enough.  THe whole of South Africa did that to Warner!  He was on pay back which wasn't right.  But the country got away with what they set out to do.  THey found a way in to upset him through his wife.  I find that behaviour bullying and yet Australia did nothing to support him and looked what happened.  He paid a high price for snapping.  

It's so usual for the one being bullied to be called a bully when they turn around and defend themselves.
i'm hoping the aussies get smashed. Thats all they deserve.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:21pm
Sorry I can't think the same.  I don't get to call things white and black.  I've made mistakes.  So forgiveness is never to be gained?  That is a sad life you live.  Don't you remember all the face masks he had to face every time he went out to bat.  You think that is alright?

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:22pm

Folau got a warning and a new $4 million contract based on a promise to not re-offend. He is an idiot and deserves to be booted.

If Warner, Smith or Bancroft goes to Bunnings again, they should go for life also

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:28pm
No Furious - i'm just calling PT out for being a hypocrite. He states above both are purely Code of Conduct contract breaches. So why support a bloke who confesses to pre-meditated cheating - Captain of the team no less - who drags the game through the mud impacting SPONSORS & the public. And then - poo, poo's Folau as being the worst of the worst when he expressed a religious text with "love". Pathetic.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:30pm
No oneone, I believe i redemption. Had Izzy not ignored his warning he would be still chasing a ball around a paddock somewhere this week. 

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:31pm

Folau got a warning and a new $4 million contract based on a promise to not re-offend. He is an idiot and deserves to be booted.

If Warner, Smith or Bancroft goes to Bunnings again, they should go for life also
  Could you imagine Folau ever doing what Steve Smith did ? 

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:33pm

No oneone, I believe i redemption. Had Izzy not ignored his warning he would be still chasing a ball around a paddock somewhere this week. 

& Folau is man of his convictions. Unlike Smith

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:33pm
I dont think Smith did anything but turn a blind eye to what Warner devised and recruited Bancroft to help him with.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:35pm
OK

Also suggest you look at the motivations between Folau & Smith. Rightly or wrongly Folau was motivated by his "belief". What was Smiths motivation PT ?

-------------

Yep, he has been convicted of lying and breaching his contract and is gone. Wont get a chance to lie again.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:37pm

I dont think Smith did anything but turn a blind eye to what Warner devised and recruited Bancroft to help him with.
Glad he wasn't a General on the front line

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:38pm

Yep, he has been convicted of lying and breaching his contract and is gone. Wont get a chance to lie again.
At least he will never be called a cheat !

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:40pm
Nobody accused him of cheating.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:40pm
I have

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:41pm
Would you go vegan if the missus said it would make her happy ?  

Tasty.

Siddle has been vegan since 2012.  They call him 'Bananaman' because he has been known to eat 20 bananas in a day.   

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:41pm
Smith was thrust into a leadership role way too early. He buckled at a time when a more experienced person would not have. I believe he is fundamentally a good person. I won’t hang him out. Ditto with Bancroft.

Warner was the problem.

I feel for Harris and Patterson

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:42pm

Nobody accused him of cheating.
Here we go - one of PTs little nuances

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Smith was thrust into a leadership role way too early. He buckled at a time when a more experienced person would not have. I believe he is fundamentally a good person. I won’t hang him out. Ditto with Bancroft.

Warner was the problem.

Shrunk do you think Folau is fundamentally a good person as well ?

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Tontonan Tontonan wrote:

Would you go vegan if the missus said it would make her happy ?  

Tasty.

Siddle has been vegan since 2012.  They call him 'Bananaman' because he has been known to eat 20 bananas in a day.   

If she was here beside me now, I’d convert

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:45pm
I'd prefer if this discussion was in the Folau thread (for obvious reasons) LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:47pm

Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Warner was the problem.

Shrunk do you think Folau is fundamentally a good person as well ?

I do.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:48pm
Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:50pm
Vegans really are on high horses.  Pity they don't know all the damage to the forests and wildlife ect done by growers of the plants they eat.  It's their right to eat what they want but I got strangely lightheaded and stupid if I don't keep meat in my diet.  And anyone who tries to stop others living their life is also a bully.  Gee I'm on my high horse now.  Guess I worried about grandaughter.  This world takes alot of living before we can take the good and bad and survive on a level plane.  They try to guilt people to their way of living and then you have things happening like babies dying because their diet doesn't include the fats needed for healthy brain development.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

In view of the way Smith batted and copped so much abuse from the Poms, it certainly shows he is a person of great character, unlike a former Brownlow medalist from the Sydney Swans who could not and would not accept the reasons he was booed late in his football career, yet blamed the booing on racism.

If it was all about racism why are Eddie Betts , Andrew McDonald TW, two current day indigenous AFL players, cult heroes never booed and are appreciated by fans of all clubs?

Wink ... racism in Australian sports fans and the community in general is about as rampant as drug taking by our swimmers. Take out stupid Eddie Everywhere and that naive 13 yo girl and you struggle to find any evidence at all ... booing a dressmaker and joking about people who are different to us is not racist ... it is accepted Australian . 

However it is a cottage industry with a growing budget and is being targeted as a career by certain people, and is stirred up by the usual virtue signalers to promote their agenda ... is Gary Ablett Jnr indigenous?

-------------
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:53pm
Is Bob Katter ?

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:57pm
Since 1996 the indigenous population has grown at double the rate of the overall population. Why would that be ?

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:58pm
Mas rooters?

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 7:59pm
*Mad

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 8:21pm
I am not wanting to shake the can for the vegans but many (and I means millions) of Hindus have chosen not to eat animals or animal products for centuries and they have neither become extinct due to lack of proteins and fats nor have they destroyed their environment.  

Peter Siddle has been accused of losing form and pace because of his vegan diet but the claims simply don't hold water.  He has bowled some monster spells powered by bananas and if anything his form is improving.  

He has had recent seasons with Essex, Notts and Lancashire so he is very comfortable in English conditions and is the sort of annoyingly consistent line and length bowler that can keep the pressure on English batters. 

However there is always a place for a left arm strike bowler as good at Starc.  He must have an issue.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 8:27pm
They can have milk and dairy products that don't kill the animal so get their fats.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 8:29pm
True vegans dont consume anything from an animal, including milk.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 8:35pm
I am not vegan - though admit i have given it some consideration in recent years. I eat meat - however am not a great meat lover. I am more into the sauces on the meat. I do get a bit skirmish when i think an animal has died for me to eat meat. Do my best to divorce the two - kidding myself though. Worked in the Mudgee abattoirs many years ago as a casual during Uni holidays - cattle production line / skin sheds & loading mainly. Bottom- line the poor buggers know what is going on well before they get knocked. Never forgotten it. And what we do to them in places like the middle east & indonesia is just disgraceful.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 8:40pm
My niece is a full ethical vegan and she has influenced the whole family to rethink animal products. I have been transitioning to it over the last few months and have found it easier than I had thought it would be. Big on Indian cuisine now. Lots of beans, pulses 

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 8:46pm
Would probably be a bit hard for me PT. I dont cook as a general rule - so would be relying on my wife/family/ dinners out to accommodate change. Could certainly reduce my meat intake fairly easily though i reckon (with you on the indian - some great non-meat dishes there)

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 8:52pm
Pressure cooker is your best friend.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 9:38pm
But we eat alot of Indian and milk products including their form of butter ghee which is just the best for cooking.  So they do use animal products.  

There is a circus in town which uses dogs from shelters and ponys only.  THe vegans are destroying their posters and saying its cruel on the animals.  What is worst - shelter and then death.  Or having people laugh and cheer you.  They are treated well.  Dogs love to perform and some horses and ponys do also so why think they are hard done by.  If you do this or stand in a paddock and get board and start cribbing or self harm.  What is the best for them.  Not everything is black and white.  THey say they speak for the ones who can't speak for themselves but a dog not suited to the life wouldn't be there.  And they put human words into the animal themselves.  Their thoughts which are fine.  But where will the animals go if we only eat plants.  Many more useful breeds will go extinct.  But more wild animals will too.  We farm animals on less viable land.  You can't grow things without sufficent water etc.  Same thing in less regulated countries.  The land usually isn't cleared for animal husbandry - its for the plants which need the rich soil to grow.

Only good thing for not having animals like chickens is you don't come out to find them slaughtered by the local foxes.  We have lived with animals so long that they won't survive without us so I guess they won't cry for the cows, pigs, goats, sheep and horses when they disappear from the planet.  No maybe goats will survive they certainly rule the roads out in the outback.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 10:00pm

RA was relying on an unenforceable, unconscionable illegal contract - then they tried to fix it by doubling down on the biased anti religion bits - do you think Raelzzz has earned her bonus?Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

Vegans really are on high horses.  Pity they don't know all the damage to the forests and wildlife ect done by growers of the plants they eat.  It's their right to eat what they want but I got strangely lightheaded and stupid if I don't keep meat in my diet.  And anyone who tries to stop others living their life is also a bully.  Gee I'm on my high horse now.  Guess I worried about grandaughter.  This world takes alot of living before we can take the good and bad and survive on a level plane.  They try to guilt people to their way of living and then you have things happening like babies dying because their diet doesn't include the fats needed for healthy brain development.

Spot on furious - ask Peter Siddle how many supplements he has to consume to be healthy as a vegan and an elite sportsperson ... or if he does what most of them do - cheat.

Laughed my a off when i saw a friend's 20 something daughter post on facebook, admitting how crook she had been feeling as a dedicated vegan, and the immediate wellbeing she felt when she ate a steak ... never looked back as a dedicated omnivore!LOL 

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 10:22pm
My word it is hard to have a sensible conversation here... 

I'd rather watch the cricket.

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 10:23pm
At the age of 60 now my intake of meat has diminished but not to the point of null.
I have strictly now gone to preserving with the fasting periods of the Orthodox Calendar.

It has helped me balance my weight and let my body recover from the unwanted fats that want to be left.

Of course I also exercise and having a lady that is a decade and a half younger for emotional support and some is like icing on the cake!

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 10:26pm
BANG !
First blood to Pattinson.  1/22

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 10:27pm
Roy out caught second slip 1/22

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by Tontonan Tontonan wrote:

My word it is hard to have a sensible conversation here... 

I'd rather watch the cricket.

Indeed T ... sometimes talking to yourself is the only way to get a sensible answer.Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 11:43pm
I have noticed that.

It should be 2/53 - but its not.     Pattinson has bowled the ball, beet Root, clipped the off stump and the bail didn't drop .   

I have never seen bails so reluctant to fall as those we have seen in England this year.  

Date Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 11:53pm
I blame the Extinction Rebellion activists ... clearly wiped their surplus superglue on the bails!Angry

I think that Lyon might get a couple if he gets a brekthrough shortly - a couple are staying very low which a new batsman will struggle with.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 11:31am
I only watched it till 11pm. Burns 125 huh. Is he the one that Lyon got lbw half way up off stump but the umpire said not out and they didn't ask for a review?

Checking - yes that him - 21 and out.LOL Dimwits. Watching it was weird. I've never seen a bowler so uninterested in getting a bang on ball reviewed.

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 11:42am
Was the unsuccessful review before or after that one?

-------------

Posted By: maccamax
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 12:30pm

Was the unsuccessful review before or after that one?

The review should be there for all decisions.

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 1:12pm
Review everything and make them 6 day Tests.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 1:18pm
Then why have umpires just review from the box if leg before or bowled or caught.  Check to see if all correct and then signal out.  But boy the days would get longer.

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 1:19pm
Also sorry Tontonan I did get off subject.

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 3:01pm
No worries Furious.  I raised the fact that the Siddles are vegans so I could hardly regard your response as off topic - and I didn't.

Burns is as difficult to watch as Steve Smith.  There is an instant as he takes guard that approaches orthodox but then he twists and morphs into something alien to the coaching manual when he settles into his 'Who's that looking around the corner ?' stance as the bowler approaches.  It is horrid to watch but it works, dammit. 

That's modern cricket for you.  Or maybe its post modern cricket ?  It's pointless moaning about stylistic horrors when the scoreboard keeps ticking over. 

Posted By: Carioca
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 3:46pm
You would have been scratching your head watching Derryck Randell then tontonan, there was one funny doozy both batting and fielding, now there was a figiter , very well liked btw.

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 3:57pm
England are slaughtering us in the reviews. They've had 6 on field umpire errors corrected in their favour. Australia has corrected none of the many on field errors that went against them.

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 5:52pm
Indeed Carioca.  'Rags' was a cracker.  Who could forget his 174 at the MCG in the Centenary Test ?  On debut mind you, hooking and pulling DK Lillee. 

He looked like he was made up from the left over bits and held together with rubber bands but he could certainly bat and had bucket loads of courage.  Check him out at 2:30 wearing one, helmetless, from Dennis Lillee....

Like Smith he was inclined to step across his stumps as the bowler delivered the ball but Derek's stance was only lazy, it wasn't particularly unorthodox. 

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

England are slaughtering us in the reviews. They've had 6 on field umpire errors corrected in their favour. Australia has corrected none of the many on field errors that went against them.

That's true.  That is why it is hard to bag the Australian bowlers.  They didn't do much wrong  but every dicey decision went against them.

The responsibility for Australia's reluctance to review rests squarely with the skipper.  I don't understand why.  It's become a problem. 

Paine did a good job of filling the skipper's job in the wake of the cheating in South Africa but I would prefer the captaincy not to be in the hands of the keeper.  It's keeping Carey out of the side for a start.  Paine isn't keeping that well either.  

Posted By: Carioca
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 6:11pm
Great piece of trivia Tontonan, thanks , I know I spelt his name wrong anyways he made the series a good watch with his antics and talent, nice memories fwiw.

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 7:38am
Fourth day poised to be a cracker.
While not having the captaincy to burden him, Smith although he would probably be thinking that he would have done things differently has the opportunity to put himself on Page 1 in a huge way!

At least OZ did not get bundled out for less than 100 in a pressure cooker Test.

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 8:58am
Get to a 200 lead and this is wide open.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 12:41pm
Broad should be bounced at least twice in the first over every time he bats. What were they thinking?

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 1:26pm
4-8mm and up to 12mm of rain (depending on who you read)n predicted for either or both today and tomorrow. 

-------------

Posted By: Baghdad Bob
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 2:54pm
Next test,Harris in, Bancroft out, although Bancroft is from WA as is Justin Langer. Make what you want of that Ermm

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net