URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=63839
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 4:43pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Notre Dame burns
Posted By: Passing Through
Subject: Notre Dame burns
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 9:32am

'Everything is burning': Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris consumed in flames

Paris: A catastrophic fire engulfed the upper reaches of Paris' soaring Notre Dame Cathedral as it was undergoing renovations on Monday, threatening one of the greatest architectural treasures of the Western world as tourists and Parisians looked on aghast from the streets below.

The blaze collapsed the cathedral's spire and spread to one of its landmark rectangular towers. A spokesman said the entire wooden frame of the cathedral would likely come down, and that the vault of the edifice could be threatened too. more...

http://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/historic-notre-dame-cathedral-in-paris-catches-fire-20190416-p51eh7.html?fbclid=IwAR25tHOd1ToCoaVihjBvItB4wBvykuXm_MUYf3w3yFQgE6Qjd47rzRTFCu0" rel="nofollow - http://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/historic-notre-dame-cathedral-in-paris-catches-fire-20190416-p51eh7.html?fbclid=IwAR25tHOd1ToCoaVihjBvItB4wBvykuXm_MUYf3w3yFQgE6Qjd47rzRTFCu0

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: acacia alba
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 12:13pm
Oh thats terrible. Its one place I loved to visit.  So much history in the place. To think it could all be lost is so sad. Such an icon of Paris. How could they be so careless as to let a fire start .

-------------
animals before people.

Posted By: crooked_gambler
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 12:15pm
Electrical fault 

-------------
This space has been intentionally left blank

Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 12:41pm
God's wrath on paedophile priests.

Posted By: GAJ
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 1:23pm
Very sad for a Patriotic Country so proud of their history. Hope it can be rebuilt, probably take decades to replicate in timber.

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 1:35pm
https://www.infowars.com/shep-smith-cuts-off-french-official-for-alluding-to-islamic-arson-of-notre-dame-cathedral/" rel="nofollow - https://www.infowars.com/shep-smith-cuts-off-french-official-for-alluding-to-islamic-arson-of-notre-dame-cathedral/

Posted By: Isaac soloman
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

God's wrath on paedophile priests.

and Bill Shorten wants to give money for its restoration.

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 2:15pm
So does the government according to Treasurer Frydenburg on ABC this morning.

Point?

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 2:57pm
one point being at least they hadnt tied in the pedophilia idea

but earlier on, only turnbull, who you could class as irrelevent

and shorten
 had only made the call to donate

at that stage.

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 3:18pm
The French Govt will ask if they want something I would imagine, but until then offers are just token.

No race to get there first. I dont think the French are desperate for help.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 3:32pm
Thats a benign reply pt.

The pedophilia angle is interesting.

Whos up for ISIS claiming responsibility?

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 3:49pm
ISIS had a go a few years back and were caught in the act.
Not out of the question, Christian churches in France have been targeted recently. See my link above.

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 3:49pm
Cant squeeze China into the frame Isaac?

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 4:32pm
Funny you should say that pt.

the repair materials, where were they sourced?

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 4:40pm
Who certified the repair materials?

If they were inferior, why would they have been approved for use in France?

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 4:49pm
Ask myself the same question here

when a building goes up in flames (cladding)

or a car burns.

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 8:28pm
Not on board with Bill pt.

Bill is happy to pay for anything, even french bills, it seems.

Scott Morrison said it was "upsetting" to see what happened in Paris today, but his focus was on fixing Australia's problems.

"I’m sure that France is a very prosperous nation and I’m sure they’ll be able to cover that," he said.

"There’s already been a massive donation made today by a very significant French philanthropist. Look, I’m focused on, you know, supporting Australian farmers in drought – Australian farmers and graziers and pastoralists up in north Queensland.

Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 9:13pm
Bump, for those looking for this elsewhere.

Posted By: stayer
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 10:00pm
Thanks SC. Tried starting a thread on it. Looking at this one so far, there's no point. Bit of the famous Aussie cultural cringe going on.

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by GAJ GAJ wrote:

Very sad for a Patriotic Country so proud of their history. Hope it can be rebuilt, probably take decades to replicate in timber.

Good post.

Posted By: acacia alba
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 11:00pm
Cant see them ever replicating that tower that crashed.  The timber, stone work, artistry, its all medieval craftsmanship gone up in smoke.  Might make a replica but it can never be the real thing .
And the famous gargoyles on the roof.   All gone.

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Cant see them ever replicating that tower that crashed.  The timber, stone work, artistry, its all medieval craftsmanship gone up in smoke.  Might make a replica but it can never be the real thing .
And the famous gargoyles on the roof.   All gone.

Some of it nearly 800 years old. It will be rebuilt from old and recent plans, but it's kind of like a big old tree remade with modern materials. They'll need to last the next 800 years to be any good.

Posted By: horlicks
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 12:10am
Pretty sure the spire that collapsed was added in the 19th century.

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 1:21am
Originally posted by horlicks horlicks wrote:

Pretty sure the spire that collapsed was added in the 19th century.

Yes.

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Isaac soloman Isaac soloman wrote:

Not on board with Bill pt.

Bill is happy to pay for anything, even french bills, it seems.

Scott Morrison said it was "upsetting" to see what happened in Paris today, but his focus was on fixing Australia's problems.

"I’m sure that France is a very prosperous nation and I’m sure they’ll be able to cover that," he said.

"There’s already been a massive donation made today by a very significant French philanthropist. Look, I’m focused on, you know, supporting Australian farmers in drought – Australian farmers and graziers and pastoralists up in north Queensland.

And he does that by wasting $175m on Christmas Island dog whistling political  stunts or $750m corrupt gifts to Peter O'Neill to make his refugee problems go away? 

You are funny man Isaac, but I still have no idea what your point is involving the fire, Bill Shorten and China.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 12:42pm
Easy pt.

sc linking the fire with pedophilia deserved a challenge.

Go from there.

Posted By: furious
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 12:47pm
I don't think you have to look for inferior materials.  There was a lot of wood involved with that roof and old seasoned wood burns really well.

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 12:51pm
On a good note, I believe two Parisian Billionaires are donating around 300 million euros toward the rebuild, no need for foreign aid!!

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 9:34pm
Interesting article in Rolling Stone about the social/ political aspects of how it should be rebuilt etc, in terms of rebuilding it as it was or making it more of a reflection of 21st C France. It will be heavily politicised in France - EU vs Nationalist, Secular vs Religious, Progressive vs Conservative etc. Macron will have to play this very carefully, with the current chaos in France and the Olympics a few years away. It will turn out to be an interesting little chapter in the history of a rapidly changing Europe.

Posted By: Gay3
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 9:39pm
I've just spotted this too which rather puts it in perspective.

https://www.facebook.com/laura.oc.rapira?__tn__=%2CdCH-RH-R-R&eid=ARD1AMoSv0GVnh2mnAxR3EPvfk8ZxrQrWhMhYOP9OKpwpMtmDmUcfjQRDqcNJ0rSA3be-Y8GKsUY1jbV&hc_ref=ART8d34kjx_eTPu5xkDkoRdmp_yJabOIzv-cGLfYqYIbDAgdzPARAm2qWN2poC8rLQo&fref=nf" rel="nofollow - Laura O'Connell Rapira

I'm struggling with the response to Notre Dame.

I understand it is sad. Tragic. Sorrowful.

I feel sad.

It's sad to lose sacred places and history in a world where sacredness and history are undervalued and misremembered.

But I also know that the desecrated and destroyed sacred places of black, indigenous and people of colour never get this much coverage, love, or attention.

They definitely don't get billionaires offering up $450 million to fix it.

In Australia, the sacred Djapwurrung birthing trees are due to be cut down for roads any day now. Some of these trees are over 800 years old and have birthed more than 10,000 Djapwurrung babies.

In Auckland, the sacred Māori land at Ihumātao could be bulldozed for unaffordable housing. Countless other wahi tapu sites have been destroyed by colonisers.

Three black churches in Louisiana, USA have been burned by white supremacists in the last few weeks.

In Belize, a construction company destroyed one of the largest Mayan pyramids. It was 2,300 years old.

Countless ancient sacred sites in Iraq and Syria have been ruined by war and terrorism.

The only exception I can think of in recent history where public outpouring was as high as it is for Notre Dame, was Standing Rock. And unfortunately that oil pipeline, supported by billionaires and colonisers, eventually won out over the rights of indigenous people.

I know it's not the 'tragedy olympics' and people have every right to feel sad about Notre Dame.

But I also think we'd be lying to ourselves to not recognise the systemic privilgeing of white sacredness, white sites, white history, white stories and white sadness in our world.

-------------
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 10:01pm
https://youtu.be/vrdkL7Y8Who
Can someone show this? I've given up on how to show vids on this site!

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 11:43pm
Thanks Gay3.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net