Print Page | Close Window

AFLW is terrible.

Printed From: Thoroughbred Village
Category: All Sports - Public Forums
Forum Name: Joffs All Sports Bar
Forum Description: Visit the famous All Sports Forum to chat with friends about any sporting topic
URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=63496
Printed Date: 16 Apr 2024 at 11:33pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: AFLW is terrible.
Posted By: waggamick
Subject: AFLW is terrible.
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 10:57pm
2 A League games today...12 goals....2 AFLW games....9 goals.

-------------
The Dude Abides

Replies:
Posted By: JudgeHolden
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 11:23pm
It’s terrible. The girls have a real crack, but too many of them are imports from other sports- they don’t really know how to play the game. Not being patronising, just like any other sport you do or don’t pick up from a young age.

A lot more girls are coming online now so in a decade or so it will be vastly improved. But atm they’re expanding the comp, with a very limited talent pool. Not a good spectacle.

Posted By: VOYAGER
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 1:43am
I agree with all comments.

And it is not just the women there were some absolutely boring as bats@#t afl matches last season.

The most exciting part of the sport is the end to end action, and when you get seven or eight women, piling in like rugby union maul, the ball stops moving.

It will come but will the sponsors and seven stay loyal?

-------------
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 8:17am
That’s the problem. The product is poor right now, are people going to hang around until it gets good? I think they should’ve developed more at the state level before rushing in but the AFL is the AFL...anything to keep the brand in the news cycle throughout the season.

Another concern is that Aussie Rules can be quite a dangerous sport, in that contact can come when you least expect it and from different angles. And there is a lot of loose contested ball, especially in the women’s game. Part of learning the game is to learn how to attack the ball but protect yourself at the same time (taken to its extreme, think Joel Selwood). I was at a Crows game this time last year and was wincing- the girls attack on the ball was ferocious, almost like they had something to prove, but with very little instinct for self preservation. It was like watching undersized Jonathon Browns.

It’ll only take one 19 year old girl with her face caved in by an opponent’s knee, and the AFL’s got a PR disaster on their hands.

Posted By: Mayor
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 8:45am
Yeah, they seem to get a lot of injuries, relative to the men's comp, I don't know the stats.

I don't have a problem with the scoring rate, as it is still exciting.. two games decided by a point, can't ask for more suspense than that!

But as my son said, it's like watching Under 12's.

However, I can see a future in it.. footy takes time to develop, and anything that promotes our unique game over other football varieties is a good thing.

-------------
Mayor

Posted By: Passing Through
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 9:00am
WBBL and women's cricket generally had few fans a couple of years ago, but as money started rolling in allowing girls to devote more time to the game their skill and fitness levels improved to the point where there are not too many people criticizing it now and it is a very watchable product.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 9:12am
The big grounds make it look strained.
Lower speed of players and less powerful kicking make transition look ponderous.
Smaller ground...maybe fewer players?

-------------
The Dude Abides

Posted By: oneonesit
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

WBBL and women's cricket generally had few fans a couple of years ago, but as money started rolling in allowing girls to devote more time to the game their skill and fitness levels improved to the point where there are not too many people criticizing it now and it is a very watchable product.
& how about women's Rugby League PT ? What % of girls want to play Rugby League growing up ? Or Cricket for that matter ? Christ cricket was a bore when I was a kid - gotta be worse these days - to many other things to do. Women's basketball in the States has been around for donkeys years & would be about 100th the popularity of the men (NBA). Unfortunately all Sports administrators are trying to get on the women's bandwagon - embarrassingly so for some. The NRL Dally M's last year were a case in point. Wanted to give the same publicity to the women's game as the mens. Ridiculous. Most women I know could not give a continental about playing sport - let alone watching it. Men do so for the novelty factor. As long as everyone gets a warm fuzzy feeling about it. Plenty of minor commercial stations like 7mate, 7 two, Gem, SBS Viceland & the like these days that will give it air time I suppose. A better question might be how many parents want their daughters playing contact sports. I certainly wouldn't encourage it. Get them into golf, tennis , athletics - traditional sports that wont result in them getting smashed (& you have a chance of making a quid out of as well).

-------------
Refer ALP Election Promises

Posted By: Tlazolteotl
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 10:31am
The simple fact of the matter is that women are not as good as men at sport. They never will be. There is no gender equality in sport. But if you enjoy watching second rate professional sport then go for it.

-------------
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Posted By: oneonesit
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

The simple fact of the matter is that women are not as good as men at sport. They never will be. There is no gender equality in sport. But if you enjoy watching second rate professional sport then go for it.
Nailed it !

-------------
Refer ALP Election Promises

Posted By: rusty nails
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:02am
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

It’s terrible. The girls have a real crack, but too many of them are imports from other sports- they don’t really know how to play the game. Not being patronising, just like any other sport you do or don’t pick up from a young age.

A lot more girls are coming online now so in a decade or so it will be vastly improved. But atm they’re expanding the comp, with a very limited talent pool. Not a good spectacle.

I have no expectations, given its a new sport.

But I object to the effing big mouthed know it alls that insist that the product is as good or better than the male version, and only sexists will deny this "irrefutable fact"

Posted By: Whale
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:11am

I generally agree with you but sometimes you post absolute garbage.
The fact that oneonesit agrees with you confirms that

-------------
Victor Orban 1.74 m, Michael Bloomberg 1.73 m, Emmanual Macron 1.77 m, George Soros 1.8 m

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:14am
It isn't meant to be the same.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:17am
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

& how about women's Rugby League PT ? What % of girls want to play Rugby League growing up ? Or Cricket for that matter ? Christ cricket was a bore when I was a kid - gotta be worse these days - to many other things to do. Women's basketball in the States has been around for donkeys years & would be about 100th the popularity of the men (NBA). Unfortunately all Sports administrators are trying to get on the women's bandwagon - embarrassingly so for some. The NRL Dally M's last year were a case in point. Wanted to give the same publicity to the women's game as the mens. Ridiculous. Most women I know could not give a continental about playing sport - let alone watching it. Men do so for the novelty factor. As long as everyone gets a warm fuzzy feeling about it. Plenty of minor commercial stations like 7mate, 7 two, Gem, SBS Viceland & the like these days that will give it air time I suppose. A better question might be how many parents want their daughters playing contact sports. I certainly wouldn't encourage it. Get them into golf, tennis , athletics - traditional sports that wont result in them getting smashed (& you have a chance of making a quid out of as well).

The girls I speak to play it because they love it. It’s an incredibly fun game to play. Watch it eat into participation rates for other sports (particularly netball) in the next decade.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:22am
[] & how about women's Rugby League PT ? What % of girls want to play Rugby League growing up ? . [/QUOTE]

nobody is forcing them. why can't they participate in whatever sports they choose, or would you like to ban that ?

-------------
Victor Orban 1.74 m, Michael Bloomberg 1.73 m, Emmanual Macron 1.77 m, George Soros 1.8 m

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:24am
I am sure they are shattered that you disapprove of women wanting to go their own way and play what they want to play oneone, but they even vote now. Different world. Women will play want they want to play, with or without tattoos, develop their own product, and it will live or die on the same basis as any other sport, participation, financial support and ratings.

-------------

Posted By: Redemption
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:25am
The sport will grow in quality, as there is a demand for it.

If most funding goes towards women being paid well to play it, then the rise of girls playing will increase.

What we will see is Olympic standard sprinters start playing the sport, so many of the women will actually run faster than the mens version.
Along with that, will come the skills, eventually.
But certainly very fast sprinting will be the primary driver of the youth.

I also didnt realise, but men AFL, dont run as fast and far for a game, as I first thought.
Craig Mottram once ran against, I think Richmond players, and he absolutely annihilated their best runners.

The womens version of the game, will indeed improve immensely. Its just evolution, and requires time and patience.

Posted By: maccamax
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:25am

It isn't meant to be the same.

Tell that to the Tennis brigade who pay the same money for about half the play time.

It's a Woman's World.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:28am
If running fast could make you a footy any footy success then all Australian track and field sprinters, who are paid in beans, would do it.

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:32am
People such as Sally Pearson, or near that quality standard athletically, can run faster than AFL men.
As too the top middle distant female runners, even age under 18, can run faster, for longer, than the mens AFL.
That is a statistical fact.
So what we will see, is a rise and evolution of incredible female athletes, choose AFLW, as their primary sport career.
Its not at all far fetched, to see the possibility of women running even better than men in AFL.

Image result for australian female sprinter youth

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Redemption Redemption wrote:

The sport will grow in quality, as there is a demand for it.

If most funding goes towards women being paid well to play it, then the rise of girls playing will increase.

What we will see is Olympic standard sprinters start playing the sport, so many of the women will actually run faster than the mens version.
Along with that, will come the skills, eventually.
But certainly very fast sprinting will be the primary driver of the youth.

I also didnt realise, but men AFL, dont run as fast and far for a game, as I first thought.
Craig Mottram once ran against, I think Richmond players, and he absolutely annihilated their best runners.

The womens version of the game, will indeed improve immensely. Its just evolution, and requires time and patience.

Why are you surprised  Confused  football players are all round athletes, strength, flexibility, power, endurance,, sprints. They do not train solely for running and are generally 20 % heavier than the ideal weight for running.

It does not take an elite runner like Mottram, even I at my peak was faster than 99% of AFL players at distances over 2 km

But they are far superior all round athletes

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:34am

If running fast could make you a footy any footy success then all Australian track and field sprinters, who are paid in beans, would do it.

so true, Redemption has no idea Shocked

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:43am
Steeplechaser, Lacaze. Basic example.
She can beat every single AFL mens player in running.
Many girls aged under 18, are better runners, than the top runners in mens AFL.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genevieve_LaCaze" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genevieve_LaCaze

Its very very possible, that women can actually play better, faster, and even stronger, than the men.
Dont under-estimate that. its very possible.

You get 36 females on a field, that can run near the standard of Lacaze and Pearson, you have one heck of sport.
Its going to happen.
I wont be at all shocked, if the standard of AFLW, actually exceeds the standard of men.
Heck, its happened in horse racing. The mares are smashing up the men. Winx, Enabled, Almond Eye, etc etc.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:45am

People such as Sally Pearson, or near that quality standard athletically, can run faster than AFL men.
As too the top middle distant female runners, even age under 18, can run faster, for longer, than the mens AFL.
That is a statistical fact.
So what we will see, is a rise and evolution of incredible female athletes, choose AFLW, as their primary sport career.
Its not at all far fetched, to see the possibility of women running even better than men in AFL.

Image result for australian female sprinter youth

she does not have the endurance to play AFL

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:49am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genevieve_LaCaze" rel="nofollow - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genevieve_LaCaze

Its very very possible, that women can actually play better, faster, and even stronger, than the men.

You get 36 females on a field, that can run near the standard of Lacaze and Pearson, you have one heck of sport.
Its going to happen.
I wont be at all shocked, if the standard of AFLW, actually exceeds the standard of men.
Heck, its happened in horse racing. The mares are smashing up the men. Winx, Enabled, Almond Eye, etc etc.

yes and they are so light for running that they lack the strength, power needed to play the game and would no way be able to withstand the physical contact, would be smashed to pieces in the first 15 minutes.  If they put on weight they lose some of that overrated speed that you rabbit on a bout

You really have no idea what is required to play football.

In your world the African runners who weigh  52 kg would be great players LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:51am

Its going to happen.

They will be so good that women will demand to play against men, not just in the AFL but in all professional sports. Thumbs Up On that blessed day we will have true gender equality, hallelujah sister.

-------------

Simon Cameron

Posted By: saintly96
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 12:14pm
Lacaze's best 3000m steeplechase time is 9 mins 37 seconds.

Mark Blicavs from Geelong has a best of 9mins and 3 seconds.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by saintly96 saintly96 wrote:

He'd be a lot faster if he ran over the lower barriers in womens steeplechase.

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 12:29pm

Am I correct in estimating that 34 seconds, equates to at least 300 Metres.

In Blicays favour.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 1:09pm

Very good times but that solely does not qualify them to play AFL, they have many other elite physical attributes, unlike what some believe

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Am I correct in estimating that 34 seconds, equates to at least 300 Metres.

In Blicays favour.

no , just less than 200 metres

-------------

Posted By: Gay3
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 2:22pm
Oneone, I & others are becoming heartily sick of your incessant attacks on members, not only the preceding example.
You seem hellbent on trashing perfectly good threads for no other reason than because you can Disapprove
Whale: Very good times but that solely does not qualify them to play AFL, they have many other elite physical attributes, unlike what some believe

Oneone: & you would be the best to know - seeing as you would have none of them. Post another photo of yourself why don't you. I need a good laugh.

You clearly started this offensive which is neither funny nor clever.
Please modify your behaviour to more acceptable levels Stern Smile

-------------
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!

Posted By: saintly96
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

Very good times but that solely does not qualify them to play AFL, they have many other elite physical attributes, unlike what some believe

This was in Response to a post from Redemption stating Lecaze was faster than any male AFL player which was clearly as far fetched as her thinking women will be better than men at AFL.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 3:24pm
Did she, I missed that ? way off the mark again

-------------

Posted By: Gay3
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 3:42pm
N.B Whale, maccamax & oneonesit

Will not reply either directly or indirectly to each others posts. You are fully aware of the consequence Stern Smile
You want to be treated like kindergarten kids, I can oblige Disapprove

-------------
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 3:47pm
Females should be able to play any sport they like, paternalistic "protection " has ZERO say in the matter.

Reminiscent of the time when women were not allowed to race beyond 200 metres because it would make them old before their time and prevent them from having babies, 32 years to the Rome Olympics Confused

Now the women's world record time for the marathon are faster than men's winning times till the 1960 Olympic Games Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

N.B Whale, maccamax & oneonesit

Will not reply either directly or indirectly to each others posts. You are fully aware of the consequence Stern Smile
You want to be treated like kindergarten kids, I can oblige Disapprove

Image result for spanking childs  bottom

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 3:52pm

Females should be able to play any sport they like, paternalistic "protection " has ZERO say in the matter.

Reminiscent of the time when women were not allowed to race beyond 200 metres because it would make them old before their time and prevent them from having babies, 32 years to the Rome Olympics Confused

Now the women's world record time for the marathon are faster than men's winning times till the 1960 Olympic Games Clap

But in tennis it's still 1902 and that's the way the ladies like it.

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 4:20pm

great post Whale

The reason it can be very possible for women to play a higher standard AFLW, than the men, is because there are too many teams for the men.
The women shouldnt be making their comp bigger.

If its condensed, they can have elite athletes.
The skills will come. You dont have to be born into the sport. collingwood recruited that tall american guy.
I stand by my statement. Women can become better than the men, at Australian Rules.

If they recruit globally, elite athletes, with strength, and the skills of tennis players, etc, anything is possible.
Basically, the women can have the skill of soccer players, netball players, middle distance runners, combined, to make AFLW, a far cry from what it is today.
Its going to take time, but it will certainly evolve to brilliant viewing.
The AFLW, may also very well be the reason that international interest in the sport can grow. 
International women entering it to play.

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 6:12pm
The thing is that we've all seen a lot of men's AFL, Rugby, Soccer, Basketball, Tennis,etc.
So when we see a slower, often less skilled version you can't help but compare the quality.
I'm all for everyone playing any sport they like. The more the better.
And women's sport per se is excellent when comparing apples to apples but we can't unsee the men's versions of the game.
Irking is the media's and parent sports hyping the quality of the game....the word 'thriller' has already copped as thrashing in the AFLW and its only Round 1.
Have it on Tv..watch it if you want to..I won't...but don't load up newscasts and sports talk back shows with feminist propaganda telling me that it's just as good as the bloke's version.

PS: None of the above applies to Women's Golf.

-------------
The Dude Abides

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by waggamick waggamick wrote:

The thing is that we've all seen a lot of men's AFL, Rugby, Soccer, Basketball, Tennis,etc.
So when we see a slower, often less skilled version you can't help but compare the quality.
I'm all for everyone playing any sport they like. The more the better.
And women's sport per se is excellent when comparing apples to apples but we can't unsee the men's versions of the game.
Irking is the media's and parent sports hyping the quality of the game....the word 'thriller' has already copped as thrashing in the AFLW and its only Round 1.
Have it on Tv..watch it if you want to..I won't...but don't load up newscasts and sports talk back shows with feminist propaganda telling me that it's just as good as the bloke's version.

PS: None of the above applies to Women's Golf.

I agree, just ignore the hype, it is a far inferior game

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 6:52pm
Anyone putting athletic criteria on Aussie Rules football I don’t think really understands the game. What would have been the vertical leap or 3km time trial results for Sam Mitchell or Greg Williams?

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 7:14pm
Had someone tell me that the scarcity of goals in AFLW is because they play shorter quarters...did a bit of research...my response...
Take out Gold Coast and Carlton and the average goals scored per game in the 2018 AFL season ranged from 10 to 15 with the median around the 13 goals per game mark...AFLW 4 x 15 + 2 time on per quarter = 80 minute 's play (according to AFLW website)...AFL quarter typically averages 30 minutes including time on=120 minutes...given those figures AFLW games go for 66% of the men's games so if you are correct about less goals for a shorter game then we should be seeing 7 to 10 goals per team per game with a rough average around 8 to 9 goals per team=16 to 18 goals a game...that just aint happenin'...and never will..I'm all for everyone playing as much sport as possible but I don't like the media and vested interests trying to deceive me with hyperbolic claims for what is a very mediocre spectacle.

-------------
The Dude Abides

Posted By: Heavy10
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 7:39pm
I agree with the fewer players smaller field suggestion..game seems so slow.

Women's netball skills are insane, but can't see AFL getting to this standard. In saying that the women's BBL has seemed to get better...

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 9:51pm
just looking at a recent COMPARATIVE STUDY ON STRENGTH BETWEEN AMERICAN COLLEGE MALE AND FEMALE STUDENTS IN ASIAN AND CAUCASIAN POPULATIONS..I'll stick to the caucasian results: 
Arm Strength
Biceps....females 37% of male strength
Triceps....            53%
Upper Back and Chest Strength
Pectorals.....         41%
Rhomboids...        50%
Shoulder Strength
Upper.......            49%
Lower.......            53%
Leg Strength
Hamstrings.....       59%
Quadriceps.....       60%
Calf......                 57%
Abdominal
Abdominal.....         58%

As far as speed is concerned......The Israeli physicist Ira Hammerman spoke at the 2010 Wingate Congress of Exercise & Sports Sciences, and he found that this little-known ratio held across all sports. Women's speed world records are all about 90 percent of their men's speed world records, in both short, middle and long distances.

AFL use a Size 5 Sherrin Ball  36cm long 28 cm wide
AFLW use a Size 4                        34.5             26.5

So with female players being 40% weaker in the legs and at least 10% slower than their male counterparts playing with a ball that is only 30 or 40 grams lighter no wonder there aren't many goals when they play on a full sized field.

-------------
The Dude Abides

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 8:48am
I think I have stumbled on to the reason they still play best of 3 sets in women's tennis even though women have been running Hawaii Ironmans for 40 years. You see, rain forced them to abandon the women's final at 4-6, 13-11 and replay the match the following day. Muriel Robb won the replay 7-5, 6-1, but the terrible exertion of playing 4 gruelling sets in 2 days exhausted her. In fact she never recovered from that exhaustion and died from it at the age of 28 in 1907.Shocked

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 8:48am

I think I have stumbled on to the reason they still play best of 3 sets in women's tennis even though women have been running Hawaii Ironmans for 40 years. You see, rain forced them to abandon the 1902 women's final at 4-6, 13-11 and replay the match the following day. Muriel Robb won the replay 7-5, 6-1, but the terrible exertion of playing 4 gruelling sets in 2 days exhausted her. In fact she never recovered from that exhaustion and died from it at the age of 28 in 1907.Shocked

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 9:39am

I think I have stumbled on to the reason they still play best of 3 sets in women's tennis even though women have been running Hawaii Ironmans for 40 years. You see, rain forced them to abandon the 1902 women's final at 4-6, 13-11 and replay the match the following day. Muriel Robb won the replay 7-5, 6-1, but the terrible exertion of playing 4 gruelling sets in 2 days exhausted her. In fact she never recovered from that exhaustion and died from it at the age of 28 in 1907.Shocked

So that's it! Well found!

Three sets is plenty...even for the blokes.
I go to the two male Canberra Challenger tournaments every year and they are all 3 set games...seems plenty to get a fair result.

-------------
The Dude Abides

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 9:45am
The majors are the only 5 set matches in mens tennis aren't they?

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 10:42am

The majors are the only 5 set matches in mens tennis aren't they?

Pretty sure that's the case.
Might evolve to 3 sets up to the semis then 5 setters.

-------------
The Dude Abides

Posted By: djebel
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 2:27pm

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: Dr E
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 3:29pm
At least they don't let the trannies play!

-------------
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!

Posted By: Heavy10
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 3:30pm
Silly finals system...team with 5-2 record missed out??

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 4:54pm
Very flexible but how far did it go?

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 9:45am
Why did 7AFL delete that photo?

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 9:48am

Why did 7AFL delete that photo?

http://twitter.com/RSNBreakfast/status/1108131844568961024" rel="nofollow - http://twitter.com/RSNBreakfast/status/1108131844568961024

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 10:12am
I don't do social media.

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 10:30am
Tayla Harris seeking police action against those that have abused her and defamed her.

Good on her.
Absolute DISGRACE.

To put it into perspective, if the same messages were put in writing, on paper, and put into your letterbox at home, would you go to the police??
You bet you would.

I hope she sues the crap out of them all.

Posted By: TIGER
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 10:34am
It's a nice action and follow through

-------------
EAD

Posted By: Tontonan
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 11:49am

The kick resulted in a goal from 40m out.

7 took the photo down because of reprehensible comments from the typical trolls among the other posts who recognized it as a great sporting photograph and kick.  As a result the baby got thrown out with the bathwater, and people have been reposting the now iconic photo and 7 have put it back up.

As a male who is appalled by the 'toxic masculinity' of these morons it is hard to know what to do.

If you confront them for their revolting disrespect for women they bleat free speech and go sooking to the moderator.  Age and stupidity are not excuses.  If they cannot conduct themselves in a civil manner with regard to other people's gender or race then kick them out for good and always.  They don't deserve the privilege of the platform. 

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Tontonan Tontonan wrote:

7 took the photo down because of reprehensible comments from the typical trolls among the other posts who recognized it as a great sporting photograph and kick.  As a result the baby got thrown out with the bathwater, and people have been reposting the now iconic photo and 7 have put it back up.

As a male who is appalled by the 'toxic masculinity' of these morons it is hard to know what to do.

If you confront them for their revolting disrespect for women they bleat free speech and go sooking to the moderator.  Age and stupidity are not excuses.  If they cannot conduct themselves in a civil manner with regard to other people's gender or race then kick them out for good and always.  They don't deserve the privilege of the platform. 

Can't you keep them confined to their little stinkholes like 8Chan and off places like Facebook? This happened on Facebook didn't it?

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 12:06pm
Twitter I thought, but like you I don't do 'social media' .

I meant to add that not only was the photo taken down all the comments, troll and non troll were removed.  And that is what people objected to and why the photo was being reposted. 

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 12:13pm
The above video and further audio of Ms Harris this morning on RSN is on this link.

http://www.rsn.net.au/programs/rsn-breakfast-2/" rel="nofollow - http://www.rsn.net.au/programs/rsn-breakfast-2/

-------------

Posted By: Red Hare
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 12:36pm

Twitter I thought, but like you I don't do 'social media' .

I meant to add that not only was the photo taken down all the comments, troll and non troll were removed.  And that is what people objected to and why the photo was being reposted. 
Taking the photo down was a win-win for 7sport. It's a well-tried formula for viral success in the 'woke' space.

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 3:04pm

This is where Alex Jones etc, is wrong.
Nothing is stopping these abusive people from writing abusive letters and putting them in letterboxes.
Internet is only one medium.
Good ole letterbox drops are still possible, so free speech is very much still possible.
These abusive people are hiding and should be charged, then sued.
It requires global regulation.
Highly offensive statements require a category in which people over 18 can be charged.
Under 18 should be cautioned and educated.

Posted By: Toll Road
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 3:15pm
Not very nice comments made but really why take offence? Should the male AFL player take offence when woman make comments about them? I heard women talk about the male players like they were a piece of meat and only good for one thing. 

Do you think people have thin skins and take comments or social media comments to the far extreme in today's age? I do

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 3:28pm
I mean if was me on social media posting a picture of my glorious athleticism I could either let all comments go and I would not give even the faintest of fooks or block every comment and I would not give even the faintest of fooks.

Social media - I don't give a damn. Which is one reason I don't do it.

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 3:34pm
That's dead right if you don't like what is said on social media, block them, turn it off or unsubscribe. 

I'm just getting a little sick of all the double standards. Make a comment to a female and you're shot down. don't open the door and you're the biggest a$$hole in the world. Damned if you do damned if you don't. 

Can't wait to go read the Suzie O'Brien now should be fun

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 6:25pm
"Toxic Masculinity", "Quotas", #metoo, "University Rape Culture", "Glass Ceilings", "Gender Pay Gaps", etc, etc ... If I was confronted by all of these made up excuses for my shortcomings, I would feel embarrassed, demeaned and bloody hormonal!Cry

-------------
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!

Posted By: rusty nails
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 6:57pm
So, you can’t use any of those excuses for your shortcomings.

What do you put it down to?

Poor education, or poor genes?

Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 7:00pm
Rusty, whether by accident or choice you totally missed "short dick".  Shame on you.  

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 7:04pm
LOL

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 7:45pm
If you want to celebrate women, stop making excuses for them - they don't need it and the real ones don't want it.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 8:19pm
It is not so much about celebrating women as creepy anonymous internet posters peering up the leg of their shorts for cheap rapey giggles.  

Stop it.

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 8:31pm
Her day job

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 9:00pm

It is not so much about celebrating women as creepy anonymous internet posters peering up the leg of their shorts for cheap rapey giggles.  

Stop it.
Don't agree with the comments of a few and the majority shouldn't have to pay for mindless few. 

Maybe if she or other female footballers have a problem with the male footy shorts put on some skins or maybe put some pressure on the AFLW to get a more feminine uniform. 

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 10:08pm
Pay ?  How on earth are you paying ?  How have you been disadvantaged ?

There is no problem with the footballers kit.   

There is a problem with those good old boys who can't look at a photograph of a female athlete without posting rapey anonymous messages on the social media.   They are the problem.

I think it is the responsibility of all decent men to speak up and out about this.

Sexual assault of women - of anyone - is not OK.  
Domestic violence is not OK.  
Rapey trolls on the internet are not OK either.  
One thing feeds on the other.

We need to call them out.  It is the manly thing to do.  It is the decent thing to do.

Maybe I am just old fashioned but to me it is a question of civility, decency, respect and responsibility.  Gentlemenly values. 

These are the very things that so called 'toxic masculinity' undermines.

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 10:30pm

There is a problem with those good old boys who can't look at a photograph of a female athlete without posting rapey anonymous messages on the social media.   They are the problem.

I think it is the responsibility of all decent men to speak up and out about this.

We need to call them out.  It is the manly thing to do.  It is the decent thing to do.

Maybe I am just old fashioned but to me it is a question of civility, decency, respect and responsibility.  Gentlemenly values. 

Clap
Clap

Posted By: Afros
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 6:15am
Personally I think any normal, healthy male should be able to look at this picture as a female athlete in action and not get all excited about what they can almost see between her legs, just the same as any normal female can look at a similar photo of a male athlete and not get all excited at what is almost popping out the bottom of his shorts.

FWIW I think it's a great photo and if that were my sister/wife/daughter it would be a candidate for a large, framed print hanging in the house.

Posted By: Afros
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 6:18am

A similar photo of Brent Harvey, for comparisons sake, found that on google in 15 seconds.

https://images.app.goo.gl/YQ9prYKo31PjV741A" rel="nofollow - Here is a link if the photo doesn't show

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 7:50am
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

Personally I think any normal, healthy male should be able to look at this picture as a female athlete in action and not get all excited about what they can almost see between her legs, just the same as any normal female can look at a similar photo of a male athlete and not get all excited at what is almost popping out the bottom of his shorts.

FWIW I think it's a great photo and if that were my sister/wife/daughter it would be a candidate for a large, framed print hanging in the house.

Clap
Clap

Posted By: TIGER
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 8:00am
The AFLW are milking this one all the way, any publicity is good publicity

The picture in question is a beauty, great action and follow through

The comments made by trolls about the picture are Nooooooo different to anything else that's posted on social media, always will have them

-------------
EAD

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 8:34am

We're all paying for the mindless few because of all the political correctness and BS baggage with all the Leftie/ Greenie views. Minorities are dictating terms to the majority in aspects of life now days.

No Sexual assault of woman or anyone for that matter is not ok. 
Domestic violence in not ok either but people have choice both offender and the victim. Had a very bad case of DV across the road had to call the police all the time. She refused to leave. So how can you help that? You got to want to help yourself before others can help you?
Rapey Trolls are not ok either? How can you stop and if you really want to open it up then most sites would be shut down. You can find rapey troll on all sites it's just how you interpret them. People of people here go at each other and say offensive things. (other than a few trolls none of the above have happened to this player or any others)

Every year these female footballs have something to carry on about. How about let's just play football?
First it was we need to be paid the same as the men
Then it was we're taking the AFL to court because our season is shorter and our suspensions are to long and don't need to be like the mens
Then a chick with a d*ck was going to take the AFL to  court because he wasn't allowed to play. 
3 years in and they're still sooking and bitching. JUST PLAY FOOTBALL and stop with all the BS statements. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 8:35am
Forgot to mention that maybe the AFLW & female cricket players should take a good look at how the female soccer teams are going. There on fire and just play soccer no bitching or grand standing 

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 8:39am
“How about let's just play football?”

I think that’s what they like to do mate. That’s the point

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 8:50am
And btw. How exactly are you yourself “paying for it”?

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 8:51am

<span style="line-height: 16.8px;">Pay ?  How on earth are you paying ?  How have you been disadvantaged ?</span><div style="line-height: 16.8px;">
<div style="line-height: 16.8px;">There is no problem with the footballers kit.   <div style="line-height: 16.8px;">
<div style="line-height: 16.8px;">There is a problem with those good old boys who can't look at a photograph of a female athlete without posting rapey anonymous messages on the social media.   They are the problem.<div style="line-height: 16.8px;">
<div style="line-height: 16.8px;">

Is George Pell guilty or Not Guilty.

You spent a lot of time on that Jury.

Tayla is certainly Guilty , she should wear overalls.

Stirring our Paternal instincts , makes it all too hard for us.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 9:07am

[/QUOTE]We're all paying for the mindless few because of all the political correctness and BS baggage 
Rapey Trolls are not ok either? How can you stop and if you really want to open it up then most sites would be shut down. You can find rapey troll on all sites it's just how you interpret them. People of people here go at each other and say offensive things. (other than a few trolls none of the above have happened to this player or any others)

[/QUOTE]

Regulations, recognised Laws, of which have Categories.

Eg, Highly offensive, clearly abusive material, designed to degrade. Sexually aggressive views.

It would have Levels of what is considered anti-social.  Level 1 to 5 etc. 5 being the worse.  1 being a Caution.   3 being banned.  5 being Arrested.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

“How about let's just play football?”

I think that’s what they like to do mate. That’s the point
My point is if think if you listened to the interview she gave yesterday she said it didn't really bother her BUT she had to make a statement. Just like the AFL have to force their views and opinions down everyone's throat. 

You don't hear the soccer women making statement every 5 minutes, like the AFLW women. They just go about their business and play soccer. Their going quite well. 

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 12:27pm
For macca

Coor... how would you like a bit of Teddy eh ?  Doggy style (snicker) ...eh ? eh ?  nudge, nudge, wink, wink  ... with a leg extension like that I bet he could ... (pant, pant, fiddle, fiddle)...say no more...  I reckon he'd go off like a firecracker. ... He's a hot dog
... as the cardinal said to the choir boy... I mean he is just asking for it, isn't he ? ... parading around in those little shorts ... I wonder if he is wearing a jock strap... eh...eh....cor blimey, pass the tissues will you...

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 12:32pm
Teddy has on the old jonco footy shorts

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 12:33pm
I think his legs are much more pretty than the one from the Box Office.

Wear long trousers if the heat is too hot in the kitchen.

Tayla is famous now , No one would have ever known her had she not advertised.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 12:48pm
The speed with which the Jonco Shorts ad was referenced is a little disturbing.

I have hit the nail on the head before but this one was with the big hammer.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 1:06pm
I went to a training session around 2 months ago, and watched Tayla just mucking around near boundary line on her own. She kicked from just inside the 50 arc, about 48 metres out, on the boundary, and she slotted 5 out of 7. One hit the goal post, the other didnt make the distance.

Many players cant even kick goals from 30 metres right in front. Different in a game of course, but still,,,,,.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 2:02pm

I went to a training session around 2 months ago, and watched Tayla just mucking around near boundary line on her own. She kicked from just inside the 50 arc, about 48 metres out, on the boundary, and she slotted 5 out of 7. One hit the goal post, the other didnt make the distance.

Many players cant even kick goals from 30 metres right in front. Different in a game of course, but still,,,,,.
No one is doubting her ability. It's a pity that more than half in the league aren't up to her standard. 

The AFL should have started this project from grass roots and built it up. Instead they took the shortcut and took players from other elite sports codes. Footy is more than just kicking the ball. That's why the chick with the d*ck would have killed someone. He'd played footy before and had footy smarts. The other girls just run around more worried about bumping and crashing into each other rather than going the ball.

The other issue I have with the girls game is they should have taken the game on in their terms rather than  try and play the boys game of defence. Where do you see any other womens sport being played so defensively? 90% of women's sport is played slick and fast. If the women's AFLW had done that and played on smaller grounds for example like Carlton's ground it would have made for a faster game and a scoring frenzy. 

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 3:22pm
When you look at 1930's and 1940's mens footy, I would say its the standard of the womens game today.
So maybe 70 to 80 years behind.
But evolution is evolution.

If you were in 1930, watching the women of today, you would say its unbelievably good.

Its simply going to take time.

Posted By: Red Hare
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 3:47pm

You've highlighted the problem in bold. Why can't we call it for what it is? Why put a label on it? Is it for your own posterity? Is it the password at the woke spa?

The 'toxic masculinity' label was coined to distract from the real issue, knowing full well that the argument would go round and round in circles before any real action was made. It's as valueless in the discussion as 'affable predator'. It's a deadset trap & I would've thought a scholar would know better.

Sermons from the mount, in front of the sponsor's message, aren't worth a pinch of you know what. We're well past the two-and-three-quarters count from mum. 

Doxxing is a legitimate punishment. Get in and find them.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 3:48pm
It is terrible to watch and I really can't stand watching the girls play. I'd rather go and watch the local men play in my area. But in saying that if the girls want to play a men's sport let them Thumbs Up. Just don't shove it down our throats like the AFL has and don't ever compare the girl as champions like Gary Ablett and players of that ilk. The media use champion as a throw away line as much as a youngster at the Spring Carnival puts away another can. 

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 3:50pm

When you look at 1930's and 1940's mens footy, I would say its the standard of the womens game today.
So maybe 70 to 80 years behind.
But evolution is evolution.

If you were in 1930, watching the women of today, you would say its unbelievably good.

Its simply going to take time.
It is terrible to watch and I really can't stand watching the girls play. I'd rather go and watch the local men play in my area. But in saying that if the girls want to play a men's sport let them Thumbs Up. Just don't shove it down our throats like the AFL has and don't ever compare the girl as champions like Gary Ablett and players of that ilk. The media use champion as a throw away line as much as a youngster at the Spring Carnival puts away another can. 
http://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/topic63496_post1624065.html#top" rel="nofollow">Back to Top

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Red Hare Red Hare wrote:

You've highlighted the problem in bold. Why can't we call it for what it is? Why put a label on it? Is it for your own posterity? Is it the password at the woke spa?

The 'toxic masculinity' label was coined to distract from the real issue, knowing full well that the argument would go round and round in circles before any real action was made. It's as valueless in the discussion as 'affable predator'. It's a deadset trap & I would've thought a scholar would know better.

Sermons from the mount, in front of the sponsor's message, aren't worth a pinch of you know what. We're well past the two-and-three-quarters count from mum. 

Doxxing is a legitimate punishment. Get in and find them.

Red Hare,   I think you might be over estimating me.  

I didn't understand a lot your post.

I don't know what a woke spa is, even after googling it. Why do they have passwords ?

I don't understand what 'for your own posterity' means.  I don't have children.

I even had to look up doxxing and now I know what it is I agree it would be a good means of countering men behaving badly on the internet... for want of a better term.

I am just not very hip.

I don't understand what the problem is with the term 'toxic masculinity' ....  but it is probably why I keep putting it in quotes. 

I was using it as shorthand for  "the constellation of socially regressive male traits that serve to foster domination, the devaluation of women, homophobia and wanton violence" (Terry Kupers).

Is that wrong ?  

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net