Print Page | Close Window

Investment Advice Request

Printed From: Thoroughbred Village
Category: All Sports - Public Forums
Forum Name: Joffs All Sports Bar
Forum Description: Visit the famous All Sports Forum to chat with friends about any sporting topic
URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=63431
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 8:26pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Investment Advice Request
Posted By: Gay3
Subject: Investment Advice Request
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 4:46pm
No, we're not, I seem to have thoroughly convinced my OH that everything is a scam LOL

My brother has just rung having taken an interest in the Share market for 2 yrs & taken the plunge a few days ago with $4800 (some borrowed!) worth of shares via, as I understand, a broker.
The details I've taken down but not looked up yet:
$19.45 per share paid, now at $24
Acreage Holdings in Japan Medicinal Marijuna product.
Registered in Canada - offshore so no tax 'till cashed in.
Announcing something in Geneva in 3 days I think he said; have bought land in the NT with Oz Govt to grant licence in about 6wks.
Geotek Capital I think might be the brokers - not too cluey tbh LOL
Have an ex Google CEO on board & other high end businessmen.
Expected to be the next Microsoft etc. in terms of growth/eventual size.
He's been told with what he's put in, expect to be self funded & retired in 3yrs.
Too good to be true? Sounds that way to me but if any of you are interested, he gets a commission for referrals so let me know & I'll give you his 'phone number Big smile
Can a few of us make a quick fortune? Only time will tell LOL

-------------
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!

Replies:
Posted By: Dr E
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 5:33pm
Can I refer rusty and Whale ... without actually giving them any of my money that is ... and I don't want a commission, the satisfaction of seeing them both retired and self-funded in 3 years time, along with their expressions of gratitude, would be more than enough!Big smile

-------------
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 5:39pm
I've had a quick google & surprisingly, they both do look 100% ridgy didge LOL

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/20/acreage-holdings-ceo-states-act-could-be-passed-as-soon-as-2019.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/20/acreage-holdings-ceo-states-act-could-be-passed-as-soon-as-2019.html

https://geotekcapital.com/about/" rel="nofollow - https://geotekcapital.com/about/

Bit Defender didn't like this one Confused

-------------

Posted By: rusty nails
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 6:09pm
We’ve got a US based business, listed in Canada,spruiked by a Japanese broker that will to pay commission for any new referrals.
And they are promising returns beyond your dreams.
What could possibly go wrong.....

Posted By: Whale
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Can I refer rusty and Whale ... without actually giving them any of my money that is ... and I don't want a commission, the satisfaction of seeing them both retired and self-funded in 3 years time, along with their expressions of gratitude, would be more than enough!Big smile

Neo 

Neo when recommended by Dr E  $135

Neo now                                   $7.50

Thanks Doc but I will pass on that advice  Ouch

-------------
Victor Orban 1.74 m, Michael Bloomberg 1.73 m, Emmanual Macron 1.77 m, George Soros 1.8 m

Posted By: Passing Through
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 6:15pm
NEO Angry

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 6:20pm
It is possible but extremely rare to make big returns. I bought 2000 CSL at the float , investment about $4000, now worth over $1 million.
Also don't listen to brokers, I was advised to sell them a year later  which I did for $6000 Cry

-------------
Victor Orban 1.74 m, Michael Bloomberg 1.73 m, Emmanual Macron 1.77 m, George Soros 1.8 m

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 6:22pm
https://postimages.org/" rel="nofollow">

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

Neo 

Thanks Doc but I will pass on that advice  Ouch

That reminds me, I still haven't received my referral fee ...

-------------
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!

Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 6:35pm

Thanks Doc but I will pass on that advice  

Well little surprise there.  Clown  

But more to the point we've recently converted the majority of our shares (worth about $125k at the time) to cash and gold because we can see a mini-2008 looming.  IMO just be speculatively careful.

Posted By: PhillipC
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 6:40pm
I too got a similar error when looking up geotekcapital, so I would be wary, however...........
I would think medicinal marijuana IS going to take off due to it being legalised in many more countries and this could be something worth getting into at the grass roots level.
My suggestion would be to seek advice from someone qualified as to the legitimacy of the proposal.  I do have a really good financial adviser who I can give you his details if you wish.  I haven't spoken to him about shares though.  

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Thanks Doc but I will pass on that advice  

Well little surprise there.  Clown  

But more to the point we've recently converted the majority of our shares (worth about $125k at the time) to cash and gold because we can see a mini-2008 looming.  IMO just be speculatively careful.

That seems like sound advice from a shrewd investor!Clap

... and a good move if Labor wins the next election and changes dividend imputation rules ... it just happens to be what the Financial Planners are telling the big end of town to do! ... and as they are also getting out of property, where will the economy go from there? ... oh well, everyone Heart gold in a recession!Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by PhillipC PhillipC wrote:

I too got a similar error when looking up geotekcapital, so I would be wary, however...........
I would think medicinal marijuana IS going to take off due to it being legalised in many more countries and this could be something worth getting into at the grass roots level.
My suggestion would be to seek advice from someone qualified as to the legitimacy of the proposal.  I do have a really good financial adviser who I can give you his details if you wish.  I haven't spoken to him about shares though.  

Good one Phil Clap

Seriously though, we are lagging in this area ... but what about the CO2 emissions??? ... surely the ALP/Greens will be conflicted - they have to stop agriculture in Australia as we know it to meet their 50% reduction in emissions, but they do love the Wacky Tobacky ...

-------------

Posted By: Tlazolteotl
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 7:01pm

It is possible but extremely rare to make big returns. I bought 2000 CSL at the float , investment about $4000, now worth over $1 million.
Also don't listen to brokers, I was advised to sell them a year later  which I did for $6000 Cry

Tragic. That beats all my hard luck stories.

Did you buy on the broker's advice or on your own research? If you did not buy on the broker's advice why did you sell on his/her advice?

-------------
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 7:23pm
I suspect in my brothers' case, the broker is the problem so will now google their share price, purely out of interest.
Thanks Phillip but we won't be investing regardless & brother already has the funds tied up. The broker did tell him that as his $$ was in an independent finance company (my translation) they'd be safe, it's in Singapore & I didn't catch the name. This really stinks the more I think about it LOL
Whale, that was incredibly poor advice & decision to take it, may would've committed hari kari Cry

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Tragic. That beats all my hard luck stories.

Did you buy on the broker's advice or on your own research? If you did not buy on the broker's advice why did you sell on his/her advice?

No I bought when they were floated hoping I could make a profit, not really investigating the company. The incredibly stupid thing is that the investment was only $4000 , even if I had lost it all it would be no tragedy. Should have just kept them and forgot about them for years. The broker said he did not trust blood products, potential for being sued Ouch

I did the same thing with another shar, bought 15,000 at 15 cents after seeing an interview on 7.30 Report. They went up to about 30 cents, then retreated back to 15 cents, I sold them all. How dumb, another small investmentof $2250, no need to panic. Anyway I forgot about them, looked at them again about 2 years ago, they were $6.00, then a takeover bid, final price was about $7.10. That one only cost me $100,000

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 8:04pm
Best tip is not to listen to brokers, advisors, planners  in any way remotely connected to the finance industry. 95% are incompetent, crooked, lying, advising you to their mates and to the best commissions for them, they are lower than a snake's belly.

This includes financial planners ,advisors, superannuation ,retirement planners ,advisors, property advisors, planners, mortgage brokers, bankers etc et
Facts are facts, they are mainly self interested slime bags

-------------

Posted By: Mr Prospector
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 8:32pm
I had a look at Acreage Holdings and they have been listed for a few weeks only in Canada by the looks of it . That means they have never made any money and probably never will , so I would rekon they are Highly Highly speculative .
Can't find the other company and get the same blocked message . 

That must hurt Whale , I just read an analysts report saying that CSL could be value at $200 a share and may well be the biggest company on the ASX in 10 years time . 

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 8:42pm
These figures are based on $100 a share, it is double that now.  October 2016

Popular demutualisations and privatisations:

CompanyInitial priceCurrent price% change
AMP$10.23$5.32-48%
ASX$3.915$47.88+1123%
CBA$5.37$72.89+1257%
CSL$0.76$102.85+13433%
NRMA/IAG$2.75$5.44+98%
SUN$0.98$12.27+1152%
TAH$1.11$4.95+346%
TLS1$3.30$5.05+53%

Source: Bell Direct (performance figures exclude dividends). Current price at 21/09/2016.

Best performers for members/shareholders

One of the top performers for shareholders has been CSL, a company with a 100-year history. Initially called The Commonwealth Serum Laboratories, it was established in 1916.

It originally floated at $2.30 per share in 1994 but given all the share buybacks the company has embarked on, the adjusted entry price is equivalent to around 76 cents. An initial $10,000 investment in CSL would now be worth over $1.3 million with more than $140,000 dividends paid in that time.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 6:13pm
LOL

Best tip is not to listen to brokers, advisors, planners  in any way remotely connected to the finance industry. 95% are incompetent, crooked, lying, advising you to their mates and to the best commissions for them, they are lower than a snake's belly.

This includes financial planners ,advisors, superannuation ,retirement planners ,advisors, property advisors, planners, mortgage brokers, bankers etc et

Yep, from the guy who's only financial investments that ever work out well for him is when they are a late scratching!LOLLOL

That must rate as your stupidest most ill-informed rants of all time!Clap

-------------

Posted By: oneonesit
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 6:41pm
Just came across this thread. Some real rotten luck going on ! 

-------------
Refer ALP Election Promises

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 7:00pm

LOL

Yep, from the guy who's only financial investments that ever work out well for him is when they are a late scratching!LOLLOL

I forgot some of the biggest scoundrels, REAL ESTATE AGENTS

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 7:20pm
Well real estate agents are just salespeople - blame yourself if you duped by one of them.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 12:42am

LOL

That’s a bit rich coming from a guy,who dismisses forecasts from the Australian Treasury,and instead prefers the musing of that great spruiker Bushy Martin,or that other guy without an office( you know the part time personal coach)
People in glass houses.......
Tell us again about your investments in crypto currencies

Posted By: Redemption
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 3:20pm

Well real estate agents are just salespeople - blame yourself if you duped by one of them.

With Whale on this one.
Real Estate agents are scumbags, and its very near a fair generalisation.

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by Redemption Redemption wrote:

With Whale on this one.
Real Estate agents are scumbags, and its very near a fair generalisation.

I'm not arguing, but they shouldn't be compared with people who have serious professional qualifications.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

LOL

That’s a bit rich coming from a guy,who dismisses forecasts from the Australian Treasury,and instead prefers the musing of that great spruiker Bushy Martin,or that other guy without an office( you know the part time personal coach)
People in glass houses.......
Tell us again about your investments in crypto currencies

Oh dear ... you do realise that nobody cares what you think you know ...Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 6:11pm

LOL

you have to be a particular breed of self interested, avaricious, no conscience scum, steering people into financial commitments with no regard for their well being but only concern for your own profit Ouch

Posted By: Passing Through
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 6:18pm
He steered me into NEO $180 to $7 Cry

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 7:57pm
Haha, how hilarious was that.
Giving us multiple updates on what actions he had to complete to get in.
Even told us that his Mrs had ok’d the investment.
Then silence ever since........

Posted By: ExceedAndExcel
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 9:07pm

Old saying/joke I remember hearing maybe 20 years ago - Why are they called brokers? Because they’re broker than you!

They are like travel agents in that anyone with half a brain who is willing to put in the effort can get better results doing it themselves. But they have their place for the clueless out there.

Posted By: TIGER
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 10:25pm
Throw the lot behind AI companies, jobs will be going left, right and centre.

I can tell you now that Linfox is testing driverless trucks and will be in within 8 years, transport first followed by everything else....

Elon Musk knows what's going on

-------------
EAD

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 11:51pm
The fatalities when these "self-driving" vehicles fail are a bit of a dampener on their appeal ...Dead

-------------

Posted By: maccamax
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 5:04am

The fatalities when these "self-driving" vehicles fail are a bit of a dampener on their appeal ...Dead

The best investment ATM is the Maccamax tips on the Racing Thread .

AND there free.

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 4:29pm
Happily I was unable to talk him out of such 'folly' Big smile He rang today to tell me his $AU5200 initial investment has since increased to $AU12000 in 3mths so it's rather looking like one of the very rare 'too good to be true' offers that isn't.

Thanks Phillip Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 5:00pm
Not too late to back the LNP and get it all back ...

Maybe REread the post Doc LOL He's doubled his money Wink

-------------

Posted By: PhillipC
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Happily I was unable to talk him out of such 'folly' Big smile He rang today to tell me his $AU5200 initial investment has since increased to $AU1200 in 3mths so it's rather looking like one of the very rare 'too good to be true' offers that isn't.

I think you are perhaps missing a zero on the last amount Gay?

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 11:29pm

Not too late to back the LNP and get it all back ...

Maybe REread the post Doc LOL He's doubled his money Wink

No good talking about what a good investment is with Doc.

He’s recently been promoting John MacGrath as an expert in Real Estate.
....you know the guy that floated his business @ circa $2.00
If you’re quick,you can get out @ 24c...

Still it’s better than NEO isn’t isn’t it Doc

Posted By: Shrunk in the Wash
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 2:38pm

So who does one listen to if you need investment advice.
Say if you came across a lotto win of a million,had no debts what would you do?

Posted By: acacia alba
Date Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 4:30pm
I would have a darn good try at spending it.   1 million woud take me a long way, and I could give some to my fave charities , and then have a good time until it runs out.  No point sticking it away for someone else to spend when I fall off my twig .

-------------
animals before people.

Posted By: Baghdad Bob
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 2:03pm
Earlier this year when CSL were $ 100 Whale was lamenting selling them years ago , only this week they hit $ 267. Now CSL , by capitalisation, is second only to CBA as largest company on ASX.
With share several splits their IPO price in 1994 is equivalent to $0.76 cents.. not bad if you got in on the float, plus dividends

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 2:44pm
They were not $100, the lowest they have been this year is $185.

You are correct though, split 3 times, my original investment of about  $4000 for 2000 at the float would now be worth $1,617,900  + missed dividends 

Sold on the advice of a broker for $6600.

Best financial advice I can give, never do what a broker, financial adviser tells you, they are useless and self interested Ouch

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

He steered me into NEO $180 to $7 Cry

Steering Wheel Fail Choochoo GIF - SteeringWheelFail Choochoo GIFs

Posted By: oneonesit
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 9:51am

They were not $100, the lowest they have been this year is $185.

You are correct though, split 3 times, my original investment of about  $4000 for 2000 at the float would now be worth $1,617,900  + missed dividends 

Sold on the advice of a broker for $6600.

Best financial advice I can give, never do what a broker, financial adviser tells you, they are useless and self interested Ouch
Funny Whale - amazing how the cookie crumbles. I purchased same for exactly that amount at exactly that time after telling some dumb ass they had bottomed out.  

-------------
Refer ALP Election Promises

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 10:03am
Employees of CSL at the time of the float were given 5000 shares, now worth over $4 million.
Wonder how many have kept them 

Posted By: Sister Dot
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 11:44am
We need a referendum on whether the public is willing to share the road with driverless machines? Surely we are not going to blithely accept such madness 🤔

-------------
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”

Posted By: Baghdad Bob
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 12:22pm

These figures are based on $100 a share, it is double that now.  October 2016

Popular demutualisations and privatisations:

CompanyInitial priceCurrent price% change
AMP$10.23$5.32-48%
ASX$3.915$47.88+1123%
CBA$5.37$72.89+1257%
CSL$0.76$102.85+13433%
NRMA/IAG$2.75$5.44+98%
SUN$0.98$12.27+1152%
TAH$1.11$4.95+346%
TLS1$3.30$5.05+53%

Source: Bell Direct (performance figures exclude dividends). Current price at 21/09/2016.

Best performers for members/shareholders

One of the top performers for shareholders has been CSL, a company with a 100-year history. Initially called The Commonwealth Serum Laboratories, it was established in 1916.

It originally floated at $2.30 per share in 1994 but given all the share buybacks the company has embarked on, the adjusted entry price is equivalent to around 76 cents. An initial $10,000 investment in CSL would now be worth over $1.3 million with more than $140,000 dividends paid in that time.

CSL now $290 up from that $ 102

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net