Print Page | Close Window

Inglis Classic 2019

Printed From: Thoroughbred Village
Category: Horse Breeding - Public Forums
Forum Name: Breeding Forum
Forum Description: General discussion about thoroughbred horse breeding, pedigrees and bloodlines
URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=63174
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:15pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Inglis Classic 2019
Posted By: robbo
Subject: Inglis Classic 2019
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 9:27am
Catalogues are available for next year's Classic sale at https://inglis.com.au/sales/info/2019+Classic+Yearling+Sale" rel="nofollow - https://inglis.com.au/sales/info/2019+Classic+Yearling+Sale

There appeared to be a seismic shift in the nature of this sale in 2018, which coincided with it being the first sale in the new Riverside complex. Average for Book 1 was $93K, up from $71K the prior year. As a result they have extended to 1,000 lots by adding a "Highway Session" on 14th February.

It's an important sale for me as it is the first time I've offered a yearling at a Major Sale - a bit of a bucket list moment. I am very much hoping the Highway Session holds up and is like the old Summer Sale where trainers bought more on type than page. It's going to be a nervous few months.

https://inglis.com.au/sales/info/2019+Classic+Yearling+Sale/catalogue/870" rel="nofollow - https://inglis.com.au/sales/info/2019+Classic+Yearling+Sale/catalogue/870

Replies:
Posted By: rem286
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 12:40pm
You have a good vendor and are in the first half of your session so if your colt has the right type he should attract a fair price.

Of the 200 extra lots, between the big vendors of the last few years, they have an extra 250 odd lots between.  So whilst it is a bigger sale, it would appear that it was for the benefit of those boys.  Bit of a drought reduction it would appear.  

Posted By: Einstein
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by robbo robbo wrote:

Catalogues are available for next year's Classic sale at https://inglis.com.au/sales/info/2019+Classic+Yearling+Sale" rel="nofollow - https://inglis.com.au/sales/info/2019+Classic+Yearling+Sale

There appeared to be a seismic shift in the nature of this sale in 2018, which coincided with it being the first sale in the new Riverside complex. Average for Book 1 was $93K, up from $71K the prior year. As a result they have extended to 1,000 lots by adding a "Highway Session" on 14th February.

It's an important sale for me as it is the first time I've offered a yearling at a Major Sale - a bit of a bucket list moment. I am very much hoping the Highway Session holds up and is like the old Summer Sale where trainers bought more on type than page. It's going to be a nervous few months.

https://inglis.com.au/sales/info/2019+Classic+Yearling+Sale/catalogue/870" rel="nofollow - https://inglis.com.au/sales/info/2019+Classic+Yearling+Sale/catalogue/870

Good luck! He has a nice geldings page, except for his dam, the rest of the family is a runners page.  Make sure the vendor puts a photo up at least 2 - 3 weeks before the sale, I cannot tell you how frustrating it is to not see photos up online!!
Most of all, have a realistic reserve! I believe in the theory that if I can make a profit, even if its only a tiny one, a profit is a profit, and therefore the sale is a success.

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 2:02pm
Thanks Rem, Einstein,

Rem - I was really happy with the draw. Subject to withdrawals he should be the 61st lot through, which will allow enough time to allow the market to settle and not too much time for orders to be filled.

Einstein, there will be a bombardment of photos and spam on social media! Hopefully a video as well. He does have a nice page, and there are legitimate excuses for his dam which hopefully I get the chance to explain. And agree on the low reserve - he is so hard to price in any event then you have to let the market tell you what he is worth and not pre-empt.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 1:27pm
Don't be afraid to approach a senior Inglis sales agent like D'Arcy and see where they have him priced.  Between them and your vendor you should get a solid idea.  I tend to set my reserve and if it is a horse I really want to move I tell my vendor to 'go live' if the bidding stalls a bit short and once the buying bench know he is on the market you tend to get a few extra bids.  Good luck with him.  I will make sure to check him out.

Posted By: Shrunk in the Wash
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 7:36pm
Good luck robbo

Geez it’s a big book to get 5hrough. Got a list of 15 so far but it could really have been 40 if I wasn’t so harsh.....or silly

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 12:05pm
https://s34.photobucket.com/user/robcolquhoun/media/IMG_3356_zpsmq8thpqv.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 12:06pm
http://s34.photobucket.com/user/robcolquhoun/media/IMG_3349_zpsynjcxrky.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 12:07pm
http://s34.photobucket.com/user/robcolquhoun/media/IMG_3363_zpsqmvwpqqc.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 12:07pm
Photos of my Inglis Classic Roman Emperor colt taken on Monday. Still six weeks out from sale day. I'm really happy how he is coming along.

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 10:39pm
Hes a nice sort Robbo!!! Just try and get him to stand a bit better for photos and squat down a bit when taking them so your shorter than the horse otherwise you make him look smaller than he is.

Posted By: acacia alba
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:15am
Agree with Einstein,,,get better photos.   Those pics do him no justice .  

-------------
animals before people.

Posted By: Glencoe
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 8:33pm
there is a racehorse in that photo. Not early but a trainer's horse for sure. I like him & my eye is generally accurate

Condition is excellent for this stage

Let him put on a few extra Kgs a fortnite  b4 sale as he will tighten up at the complex

Definitely get some help with those photos

Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 5:30pm
Reckon this sale has more depth than Melbourne Premier, and will exceed that sale's average prices.

Just hope there's enough cash left when Robbo's fellow enters the ring.

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 1:58pm
https://s34.photobucket.com/user/robcolquhoun/media/Roman%20Classic_zpsjokxb1rt.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 1:59pm
Here is the Roman Emperor colt as portrayed on the Inglis website. Apparently it's been quite a challenging preparation period all round due to the extreme heat, but otherwise he is handling everything well.

Posted By: Flight
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 9:09pm
He looks great!

Good luck robbo.  

-------------
“The probability of a certain set of circumstances coming together in a meaningful (or tragic) way is so low that it simply cannot be considered mere coincidence. ”
― V.C. King

Posted By: Flight
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 9:26pm
Just having a browse of the catalogue and noticed Lot 31.

His dam was a lovely type and the 3 x 2 Lion Hunter is very interesting.  Certainly looks like a November foal however they soon grow up.

-------------
“The probability of a certain set of circumstances coming together in a meaningful (or tragic) way is so low that it simply cannot be considered mere coincidence. ”
― V.C. King

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Flight Flight wrote:

Just having a browse of the catalogue and noticed Lot 31.

His dam was a lovely type and the 3 x 2 Lion Hunter is very interesting.  Certainly looks like a November foal however they soon grow up.

Had iron my short list as well, Flight.
I’ll wrestle you for it

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 8:38am
Had it not iron

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 10:53am
Hard Going
Ignoring the Gold section this looks like a very tough sale.   70% clearance Ave & Med hovering around $50K.   Lots of poor types
Syndicators still buy the page as they don't bother selling conformation

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 2:18pm
Except for lot 250  pinhookers are getting absolutely smashed

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 2:20pm
To be fair to the market it is apparent Inglis put too many gelatihouse types in this sale.
Do yourself a favour and scan the presale pics. There are a lot of "barry crockers"

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 2:23pm
Glencoe you're not alone in suggesting there's some very ordinary types in the sale.

Thought Lot 64 (Sebring - Arcadia Rose) appeared good buying at $120k.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Glencoe Glencoe wrote:

To be fair to the market it is apparent Inglis put too many gelatihouse types in this sale.
Do yourself a favour and scan the presale pics. There are a lot of "barry crockers"

Get your thoughts on this one?

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 2:59pm
Don't much like the filly or her pedigree page Shrunk.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 3:09pm

All good,I liked her but I’m an average judge

Posted By: Breeder
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 4:08pm
Glencoe
 I do not rate myself as a judge of type --so what do you think of Lot 259. Bought by Bjorn Baker for $40K.
Quite a good pedigree, so seems quite cheap.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 6:46pm
I pulled out around 60 yearlings and there was only 1 that I would even consider buying.  A lot of poor types and bad looking joints.  Guessing the supplementary feeding due to the drought has had its impact. A lot of worried vendors going into the next few days.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Breeder Breeder wrote:

Glencoe I do not rate myself as a judge of type --so what do you think of Lot 259. Bought by Bjorn Baker for $40K.  Quite a good pedigree, so seems quite cheap.  

Having not been asked I'll defer to Glencoe regarding type.  However there are three warning signs imo:

1st:  the mares first foal, a 3yo, is yet to be named, and that worries me considerably;
2nd: the mares second foal, a 2yo, is yet to be named.  That worries me, if somewhat less than above; and
3rd: the yearling in question was purchased for $30k as a weanling by Arrowfield either for itself or a client, yet they were prepared to sell her for what represents a significant loss as a yearling.

None of which fills me with optimism.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 7:22pm

Glencoe
 I do not rate myself as a judge of type --so what do you think of Lot 259. Bought by Bjorn Baker for $40K.
Quite a good pedigree, so seems quite cheap.

This is one of the yearlings I had out.

Near side knee was the size of a basketball and appeared to have arthroscopy scars that were fresh enough to think surgery wasn't too long before her prep.  I asked the handler what was wrong with the knee and her reply was "what do you mean, the knee is fine"

Strong chance another yearling from this dam that won't make the track.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 8:37pm
Shrunk what is the lot no. you want an opinion on?
I try as much as possible to look at the horse before I view the pedigree page
My top pick was lot 63
re lot 64  I would need to have a very close look at hocks & rear end movement .Though He was purchased by a very good judge
 re lot 259  too light of bone below knees

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 9:03pm

507, champThumbs Up

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 6:32am
Thanks Second Chance, rem286 and Glencoe. We are always learning in this game. Probably effectively a buyback, with Bjorn doing someone a favour.

For what it is worth here is Paul Moroney's thinking (or hunch, as he puts it) on this year's yearlings

https://theinformant.co.nz/moroney-sees-opportunity-for-new-zealand-industry/  " rel="nofollow - https://theinformant.co.nz/moroney-sees-opportunity-for-new-zealand-industry/   ;

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 6:56am
Just out of interest I looked up the dam of of Lot 259 in the Stud Book. The first 2 foals were by Hinchinbrook so you are probably right, Second Chance, to question it --you would have thought at least one of those would have been up and going by now.
 It said she was exported to NZ in June last year. The NZ stud book said she was in foal to Dissident but the interesting point was the owner was listed as P Tighe ( part owner of Winx ??) 

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 7:51am

My top pick was lot 63
re lot 64  I would need to have a very close look at hocks & rear end movement .Though He was purchased by a very good judge
 re lot 259  too light of bone below knees

Glencoe, Shrunk was interested in Lot 507.

Lot 64 appears very popular on TBV.

Posted By: furious
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 10:45am
That's the family of the some very good ones in the WA including the lates superstar Arcadia Queen.  Probably could of flown if by Pierro. 

I'm in the boat of knowing nothing about legs no wonder some I pick to follow never make the track.

Posted By: furious
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 10:46am
Are there lots of smaller types on the ground.  Is this caused by the drought?

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 12:53pm
re 507I would write OK in my book. Then probably write lacks strength as he is bred to sprint. May improve with time

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 12:57pm
A good horse to analyse is 609.    On first look is very visually impressive.   Good colour , strong body, current pedigree & supposedly sexy sire
But then look again. Does he have balance?  Are his legs sound?
I would pass

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 1:32pm
Lot 70.
Likes or dislikes ?  And why ?

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Lot 70.
Likes or dislikes ?  And why ?

I may be harsh but there’s a distinct lack of winners on the page.

Looks a little very nice type and hence the high reserve I assume

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 3:08pm
It was P/I as a weaner for $115K.... my page comments were OK    /     chance..... therefore it would get out of the box for a start;   many wouldn't

One that really appeals to me on pic.is lot 533 and yet I am not big on the stallion . Do like the filly though

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Lot 70.  Likes or dislikes ?  And why ?

It's the dam's 10th foal which puts many off, especially if a colt.  Her first foal was a Listed stakes-winner however her eight foals thereafter have all been poor or unraced.

Short coupled, but a question about the pasterns?

Posted By: slowdown
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 7:29pm

Thanks Second Chance, rem286 and Glencoe. We are always learning in this game. Probably effectively a buyback, with Bjorn doing someone a favour.

For what it is worth here is Paul Moroney's thinking (or hunch, as he puts it) on this year's yearlings

https://theinformant.co.nz/moroney-sees-opportunity-for-new-zealand-industry/  " rel="nofollow - https://theinformant.co.nz/moroney-sees-opportunity-for-new-zealand-industry/   ;

Have to mention we have had a great season in Tassie up until Jan when most will be in on feed anyhow. hoping the Needs Further's will sell well with the likes of Mystic Journey and others. I really like lot 99.

-------------
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 8:08pm
Opinions on Lot 475 please.
The fact that she was a $27K weanling is immaterial but to bring $350K is damn well unbelievable
I would question 3 aspects at a minimum:       1)  back at knee?
                                                                    2) lightness of bone for bodyweight
                                                                    3) rear hocks
and put her back in her box & politely say thankyou. What do others think?

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 8:27pm
And and average running page as well.
Very odd

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 9:24pm
Who are Orbis B/S ??  

-------------
animals before people.

Posted By: Fastnetrock
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 10:15pm
As for photos 417 clear standout for me.

Posted By: Fastnetrock
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 10:17pm
Lot 70 Don't like off hind hock/leg.

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 11:03pm

Just out of interest I looked up the dam of of Lot 259 in the Stud Book. The first 2 foals were by Hinchinbrook so you are probably right, Second Chance, to question it --you would have thought at least one of those would have been up and going by now.
 It said she was exported to NZ in June last year. The NZ stud book said she was in foal to Dissident but the interesting point was the owner was listed as P Tighe ( part owner of Winx ??) 
A lot of Aussies agist in NZ, far cheaper, and there is good feed! Also may be aiming the foal for the Karaka sales.

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 11:59pm
For Day 4 I've found two likely types in the first 120 lots     585   &       674
I'd also get 622 & 670 out of their boxes.
I'll look at lot 700 onwards tomorrow.

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 1:45am

The fact that she was a $27K weanling is immaterial but to bring $350K is damn well unbelievable
I would question 3 aspects at a minimum:       1)  back at knee? ALMOST CERTAINLY
                                                                    2) lightness of bone for bodyweight VERY POSSIBLY
                                                                    3) rear hocks NOT QUITE SURE
and put her back in her box & politely say thank you. What do others think?

This is the form of her full sister!!

Career:  4-0-0-0    Prizemoney: $975 
Last Three Runs
PosDateTrackDistClassJockeyBrWgtPriceFirst/Second
6 of 810/02/2019WOD Good13003YF MDN-SWJ Baldock557$1511 Squeezable 1-19.46
12 of 1322/01/2019WAGG Good1000MDNK Nisbet1254.5$811 Mutadaawel 0-58.61
12 of 129/12/2018NOWR Good1100F&M MDNC Lever356$611 Sestina 1-03.41

Inflated sale price even were she perfect imho.

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 7:28am
Originally posted by Einstein Einstein wrote:

A lot of Aussies agist in NZ, far cheaper, and there is good feed! Also may be aiming the foal for the Karaka sales.

Do you mean the foals born there? Surely people don’t fly foals from here to there

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 7:54am
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Originally posted by Einstein Einstein wrote:

Do you mean the foals born there? Surely people don’t fly foals from here to there

No, I think we are talking about in foal mares and Einstein says they foal down and sell the foal/yearling at Karaka. Also there are a number of stallions in NZ who are owned by Australian interests or Australians have shares in them. (eg Complacent , Contributor , Sweynesse are owned by Coolmore , I think. Preferment has Australian shareholders , if not totally owned by Australians). So these owners/shareholders will send mares over for the stallions.

Posted By: TJMitchell
Date Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 9:55am

I would question 3 aspects at a minimum:       1)  back at knee?
                                                                    2) lightness of bone for bodyweight
                                                                    3) rear hocks
and put her back in her box & politely say thankyou. What do others think?

Out of an 8 time winning grand-daughter of a Champion. Starcraft over danehill lines work well. Not sure I could get to that price though

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 11:33am
look at it's pic profile and video in sale ring. Appears to be badly sickle hocked
Kym Waugh says she looked at the horse 4 or 5 times. Needs to go to specsavers

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 2:03pm

For Day 4 I've found two likely types in the first 120 lots     585   &       674
I'd also get 622 & 670 out of their boxes. I'll look at lot 700 onwards tomorrow. 

Well Glencoe's lots of possible interest have certainly had their ups and downs:

Lot 585: $125,000
Lot 622: passed in $20,000
Lot 670: $190,000
Lot 674: $20,000
Lot 700: $80,000

Look forward to his recapitulation.

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 2:31pm
Top 2 lots so far by Brazen Beau.
609 & 666

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 5:28pm
Deep Field and his brother Shooting To Win both appear to be on the nose at the Classic.

Have to say I'm quite surprised.

Posted By: linghi11
Date Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 5:58pm
Has anyone seen lot 26? If not, could anyone ther have a quick look for me? Would be greatly appreciated

-------------
to the victor

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 9:05pm
Attractive appearance/ nice type.  Must be an issue for a reserve of $20k

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 9:17pm
in reply to second chance did not see any of today's auction.
585 sold well above his page bought by the stallion/colt syndicators
622 must have been compromised in some way
674 was the steal of the sale . purchased by a very astute judge. Was in the wrong sale     would have been  much much dearer in Melb P2 or Adelaide. I have left a message with purchaser re a share.

Lot 609 presents a conundrum for me Visually impressive but I am very circumspect !

We will all be much wiser by the winter of '21 but I would put money on 585

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 10:58pm

Attractive appearance/ nice type.  Must be an issue for a reserve of $20k

Looks like a nice 3yo type - hence I was asking whether there’s something wrong with her from another angle, or if the sire/3yo types are not in fashion.

-------------
to the victor

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 11:41pm
any opinions on lot 362 ???  

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 7:53am
For only 10k I’d say great value

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 6:11pm

13k for Robbos horse

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 6:41pm
You have to be careful.

Trainer friend was interested in a filly which was subsequently knocked down to him, however an adverse endoscopy resulted in the sale being quickly voided.

Posted By: Sir Gov
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 7:58am
Had a vendor (QLD based) say xrays & scope were all good.

Had the filly vetted & comes out with an issue on xray but also a Grade 3 scope!

Never trust that vendor again & a few know about it too!

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 5:48pm

13k for Robbos horse

Yep - and a result that, on balance was pretty good.

Yesterday was a very stressful day. I went to the races on Wednesday expecting to see a vibrant sales complex full of provincial and country trainers inspecting horses, but nothing could have been further from the truth. You could have fired a gun through the Riverside complex. At this point vendors became very worries, especially after the softness towards the latter stages of the main sale. Some withdrew their lots on Wednesday evening and many more spoke about it.

Come sale time at 10:00 yesterday morning, there were more horses than buyers and the buyers that were there were sitting on their hands, causing horses to pass in and then seeking to negotiate with what they were hoping was a desperate vendor. Those buyers that were there were looking for trade horses for Asia and/or ready to run types, and a big, gangly Roman Emperor wasn't going to fit the bill. Lovely colt but needs time and the buyers there didn't have it.

I revisited the reserve to what was reasonable and then in the sale used the trick rem286 referred to above by putting him "on the market" below the reserve to get a few more bids. It partially worked and at the 13K he is more or less a break-even result.

What is particularly pleasing, however, is that Michael Hickmott bought him and he will be trained either by Michael or his brother Robert. Michael said that he will geld him and then turn him out for twelve months, which was music to my ears. So he goes to a good home that understands how to train horses to get a trip and gives the mare every chance. To my mind, that's worth more than a couple of extra bids in the sale-ring.

It was an interesting experience - great to be on the other side. Not great for the blood pressure, though.

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 5:53pm
Mentioned to the other half that you and many others would have been sh1tting bricks given that the bottom had fallen out of the market quite some time earlier.

Great to see you were happy enough Robbo, if not exactly ecstatic.Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 5:54pm
https://s34.photobucket.com/user/robcolquhoun/media/IMG_3643_zpsboi8jbtk.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Mentioned to the other half that you and many others would have been sh1tting bricks given that the bottom had fallen out of the market quite some time earlier.

Great to see you were happy enough Robbo, if not exactly ecstatic.Thumbs Up

Thanks mate. I must say that the market (and indeed the atmosphere) did improve later in the day as more trainers arrived. Whoever put barrier trials on at the same day as the sales needs to find a new job.

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 6:37pm
Roobo, I think you may have been a victim of the greedy auctioneers
Whilst i may not be a major player the mere size of the sale did my head in.
They got greedy. Way too many lots and many probably would have been better kept for the likes of Scone

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 6:47pm
I reckon Shrunk is correct.

This is part of a pm I sent to a very good TBV member who was a bit shaky about his lot in another sale:

Last year's Classic sale was the first at the new Warwick Farm complex, and Inglis spent huge money promoting the sale plus they also extended far more lenient credit to buyers than they had before.  And the sale was a huge success.

This year there hasn't been so much hype, and credit back to normal.  On top of that they have 200 more in this year's catalog which has diluted pedigree quality, and I've been told by quite a few sources that the quality of yearlings is extremely mixed.  All those factors have appeared to have negatively affected sale prices.  Have never seen so many sold in the $15-30k range, compared with last year when the bottom of the market was quite a bit higher.

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 6:56pm
The lenient credit was a massive issue and something I hadn’t appreciated until
this week. Lots of debt from last years sale remains unpaid and commercially precluded many potential buyers from investing this year.

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 9:10pm
This horse has potential & all the Hickmott family can train. this horse will improve the pedigree page in 3 years time

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 9:11pm
Does he have a splint on his off-fore?

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 9:34pm
Nope. Just the photo.

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 9:35pm
I was at the sale when your bloke went through robbo and I really felt for you.  My mate had a similar result with his filly.

Some of the problems at this sale:

1. Way too big for this sort of sale
2. Too many of the big studs were using it to get rid of their excess horse flesh after the drought.  I inspected a lot of the book 1 horses and it was full of horses that lacked substance and had horrible looking joints/bone structure.
3.  Only a couple of the big studs stuck around for book 2.  Doesn't send a real positive outlook on the second session for the buying bench.
4.  Soooo much hotter at Warwick Farm compared to Newmarket at this time of year.  The horses didn't appreciate it and neither did the buyers or vendors.

And what does Inglis say?  "If you take out the cheapest 200 lots the average wasn't too bad"

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 9:37pm
In reference to point 2 above, I think this really hurt the sale.  Everyone you talked to said there was so many poor horses that the good ones would stand out and go for overs.  Buyers also lose interest/confidence when they keep on looking at bad types.  Book 2 suffered because of book 1.  I actually like more horses in the second book but most people wouldn't have bothered with it because of how bad book 1 was

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 11:50am
I heard Inglis were extremely tight offering terms this year, so that caused the rather poor sale. Doesn’t help the vendors one bit. At $13k you’re better off racing yourself or leasing. In fact, with prizemoney the way it is now, leasing is the way forward if you can’t get a return at the sales.

-------------
to the victor

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 1:44pm
That is what we do with any fillies we don't get a return on.  Lease them out, get a chunk of the prizemoney if they do any good and you have a broodmare at the end of it.

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 11:44am

So this colt (now gelding) that I sold at Inglis Classic in 2019 won at debut at Morphettville on Saturday, in a 1550m BM 72. Named Oath of Omerta. It's interesting reading the post above - Michael Hickmott, whose stable is absolutely airborne at the moment, has taken time with him and now my mare has a metro Saturday win on the CV, with the chance to earn some black-type in the next few weeks, starting with the Hill Smith in a fortnight. He is still in the VRC Derby but that would seem ambitious at this stage.

Replay available at: https://www.racing.com/form/2020-09-26/morphettville-parks/race/3#/results

13k for Robbos horse

Yesterday was a very stressful day. I went to the races on Wednesday expecting to see a vibrant sales complex full of provincial and country trainers inspecting horses, but nothing could have been further from the truth. You could have fired a gun through the Riverside complex. At this point vendors became very worries, especially after the softness towards the latter stages of the main sale. Some withdrew their lots on Wednesday evening and many more spoke about it.

Come sale time at 10:00 yesterday morning, there were more horses than buyers and the buyers that were there were sitting on their hands, causing horses to pass in and then seeking to negotiate with what they were hoping was a desperate vendor. Those buyers that were there were looking for trade horses for Asia and/or ready to run types, and a big, gangly Roman Emperor wasn't going to fit the bill. Lovely colt but needs time and the buyers there didn't have it.

I revisited the reserve to what was reasonable and then in the sale used the trick rem286 referred to above by putting him "on the market" below the reserve to get a few more bids. It partially worked and at the 13K he is more or less a break-even result.

What is particularly pleasing, however, is that Michael Hickmott bought him and he will be trained either by Michael or his brother Robert. Michael said that he will geld him and then turn him out for twelve months, which was music to my ears. So he goes to a good home that understands how to train horses to get a trip and gives the mare every chance. To my mind, that's worth more than a couple of extra bids in the sale-ring.

It was an interesting experience - great to be on the other side. Not great for the blood pressure, though.

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 11:45am

So this colt (now gelding) that I sold at Inglis Classic in 2019 won at debut at Morphettville on Saturday, in a 1550m BM 72. Named Oath of Omerta. It's interesting reading the post above - Michael Hickmott, whose stable is absolutely airborne at the moment, has taken time with him and now my mare has a metro Saturday win on the CV, with the chance to earn some black-type in the next few weeks, starting with the Hill Smith in a fortnight. He is still in the VRC Derby but that would seem ambitious at this stage.

Replay available at: https://www.racing.com/form/2020-09-26/morphettville-parks/race/3#/results

13k for Robbos horse

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 12:42pm
Top news Robbo.  Thumbs Up

Where's the mare going this season?

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 1:00pm
She went to Flying Artie - fingers crossed for a positive 15-day test this week. Great physical match for her and thought he was really good value.

Posted By: VSP.
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 2:07pm
Exciting news Robbo. Hope you get that black type!

-------------
www.snowshoecats.webs.com

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 11:24pm
He is excellent value Robbo. I assume you got $10k+

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 1:17pm

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 8:51pm

Oath of Omerta's dam positive at 15 days to Flying Artie. It's been a good week.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net