Forum Description: General discussion about thoroughbred horse racing
URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=63167
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 10:54pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: All Star Mile Vic Autumn
Posted By: StormSiren
Subject: All Star Mile Vic Autumn
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 6:42am
https://www.racing.com/news/2018-11-19/melbourne-to-host-rich-mile-race%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.racing.com/news/2018-11-19/melbourne-to-host-rich-mile-race

Racing Victoria (RV) has today announced a new $5 million Weight for Age mile race to be run during the 2019 Autumn Carnival. 

The All-Star Mile will be on of the richest mile race in the world and the public will get a chance to decide the field via public ballot. 

To be run during the Autumn Carnival, the first edition of the race will be at Flemington on March 16, 2019. 

Of the 14 spots, up for grabs in the field, 10 will be decided by public vote with the remaining four 'wildcards' at the discretion of RV. 

Successful racing fans who are allocated a horse on the day will become a nominal owner and share in the enormous prize purse. 

RV CEO Giles Thompson said the race will rotate annually between the three major metropolitan clubs which will see the race held at Flemington, Moonee Valley and Caulfield. 

Thompson stated, “The core of the race will be the same year in, year out, but the experience will be totally different because the clubs will bring what they bring.

The fans just want to get involved and this enables them to get involved.”

“Our autumn racing schedule is pretty impressive with Super Saturday … but we felt it could do with an injection of newness and innovation,” he said.

“This really does that; it will create a lot of interest and be the real feature event of the carnival. The two states are very different and bring different things to the racing calendar.

“This is something they couldn’t do in Sydney because they don’t have three different metro clubs for starters. Similarly, you could argue, could we do something like the Everest down in Melbourne? But it’s not about that, it’s about us bringing our own things to the racing schedule,” said Thompson.

-------------
Lost in the magical world of racing. Storm Siren, Sirens Star, Elpis & Wait For It.

Replies:
Posted By: Shawy38
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 7:32am
Boring copying zzz Everest

Posted By: Ted
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 7:32am
The next step will be an app to vote on the winner too, then they won’t have to waste time watching horses run around at the risk of missing something important in the marquee.

Posted By: Slammington
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 7:34am
Interesting initiative. It will be interesting to see how it is being funded.
Similar concept I suppose to the Arima Kinen in Japan with the fans voting for the starters etc.

I see they are targeting Winx. But if they get her will they get anywhere near a full field? It would just be a jog around the block for her like the Ryder each year. The Cox Plate is the same money and they only get 7-8 horses for that so might struggle for more in this if Winx is there. But if not you would expect a decent field for it including some 3yo milers targeting it.

Posted By: StormSiren
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 7:56am
Timing seems a bit strange...

Same day as the G1 Coolmore Classic.. you'd imagine the owners of the fillies and mares would be more interested in blacktype?

A week after the G1 Australia Cup over 2000m, and the Randwick Guineas over 1600m... a week before the Rosehill Guineas, George Ryder and Ranvet.

Not sure they could have picked a busier period for a race over that distance.. middle of most horses preps too. Guess the Australian Guineas and Chipping Norton lead into it well.. three weeks back to the Doncaster is probably doable, but not sure what they'd do with the Queen Elizabeth horses...

-------------
Lost in the magical world of racing. Storm Siren, Sirens Star, Elpis & Wait For It.

Posted By: JudgeHolden
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 7:59am
It’s actually what this country sorely lacks- a big WFA mile. The others are “lead up races”. But I don’t think this is the way to go about it. More Vic/NSW chest beating- to the detriment of scheduling as a whole.

I can just see V’landys plotting his next move...

Posted By: Tlazolteotl
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 8:30am
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

It’s actually what this country sorely lacks- a big WFA mile. The others are “lead up races”. But I don’t think this is the way to go about it. More Vic/NSW chest beating- to the detriment of scheduling as a whole.

It sure does lack a big mile wfa race ... which will attract the best possible field. If you were deciding where to place that race on the national calendar where would it be? I would have a hard time working out the date even with my utter impartiality. In a perfect world, to get the perfect result, I would probably have to delete a race or two to maximise the effectiveness of the new race.

Aaarrrrgh this freaking American spell-checker- get rid of it.Angry I know how to spell in the English language.

-------------
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Posted By: Red Hare
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 8:43am
I hope they vote in Vianden, or some other country slug.

Posted By: TJMitchell
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 8:45am
Excellent timing. Right after everyone complaining how gelati the prizemoney is on Sandown Cup day. 

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 8:48am
The money on Saturday was deplorable.
Standard Saturday money for Group and Listed races

I see they want Winx in this race

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 8:49am
The two clear favourites in Australia's top mile wfa race held next autumn would be Winx and TAS. I have no idea who would be third favourite- daylight. What are the odds of either of those two running in this race?

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 8:51am
MVRC first turn, hosted by VRC?

Posted By: Campaspe
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

It sure does lack a big mile wfa race ... which will attract the best possible field. If you were deciding where to place that race on the national calendar where would it be? I would have a hard time working out the date even with my utter impartiality. In a perfect world, to get the perfect result, I would probably have to delete a race or two to maximise the effectiveness of the new race.

Aaarrrrgh this freaking American spell-checker- get rid of it.Angry I know how to spell in the English language.

I'd have it in the Spring.  For one thing, if they want a public vote Spring is when the general public are thinking about racing.  I like the idea of it rotating between clubs.  I'd have it rotating between Caulfield Cup Day, Cox Plate Day and Derby Day.  And I'd have it so that the year it's run on CC Day, they don't have the Toorak.  The year it's at MV they don't run the Crystal Mile.  The year it's at Flemington they either don't run the Cantala or they move it to another day. 

Posted By: pnclick
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 9:01am
Flemington gets the race first.

TAS will be targeting the Australian Guineas the week before also over 1600m. Would he backup? before maybe going to Sydney

What will this race do to the Australian Cup?

Maybe... they should have switched the Australian Cup to 1600m with the 5M in prizemoney, just a thought.

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 9:04am
Originally posted by Campaspe Campaspe wrote:

I'd have it in the Spring.  For one thing, if they want a public vote Spring is when the general public are thinking about racing.  I like the idea of it rotating between clubs.  I'd have it rotating between Caulfield Cup Day, Cox Plate Day and Derby Day.  And I'd have it so that the year it's run on CC Day, they don't have the Toorak.  The year it's at MV they don't run the Crystal Mile.  The year it's at Flemington they either don't run the Cantala or they move it to another day. 

The obvious place for it would be as a replacement for the Toorak handicap. Australia doesn't need another mile handicap- there is the Epsom a fortnight earlier and the whatever they call that Flemington race at the end of the carnival for handicappers.

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 9:11am
What gelatity mountain name can we give it? The Colgate Optic White Nanga Parbat.?

Posted By: Sunline
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 9:13am
They will have Winx firmly in their sights.

-------------
Sunline...simply supreme

Posted By: Passing Through
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 9:15am
Does this race replace the Blamey?

-------------

Posted By: Speediskey
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 9:28am
Originally posted by pnclick pnclick wrote:

Flemington gets the race first.

TAS will be targeting the Australian Guineas the week before also over 1600m. Would he backup? before maybe going to Sydney

What will this race do to the Australian Cup?

Maybe... they should have switched the Australian Cup to 1600m with the 5M in prizemoney, just a thought.

Why would TAS target the Australian Guineas? Unless Waller has stated that he will makes no sense, it's a nothing race. TAS would most likely go Hobartville - Randwick Guineas - Rosehill Guineas - QE.

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 9:39am
Mick Price will be happy...

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 9:49am

Originally posted by Campaspe Campaspe wrote:

The obvious place for it would be as a replacement for the Toorak handicap. Australia doesn't need another mile handicap- there is the Epsom a fortnight earlier and the whatever they call that Flemington race at the end of the carnival for handicappers.

Scrap that idea- no 3yos- has to be autumn.

The result of this race will be even weaker fields. You will look at the acceptances of this race and the multiple Sydney alternatives around the same time and go WTF!Shocked Too much milk- not enough cream.

-------------

Simon Cameron

Posted By: Baguette
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 9:55am
It's good to see them thinking outside the square finally but I agree it would work much better in the Spring. IF Winx comes back well she'll be going for the QE and her big farewell so I really can't see Waller putting her on a float mid preparation for one race. TAS I think will go Doncaster rather than take Winx on in anything.

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:03am
Let's see Beauty Generation here for it. Then we send Winx down on a float!

-------------
Sunline...simply supreme

Posted By: ExceedAndExcel
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:37am
So the public is going to vote on who gets a run? They better be careful with this one or they’ll have another Badger’s Wood on their hands!

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:43am
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

So the public is going to vote on who gets a run? They better be careful with this one or they’ll have another Badger’s Wood on their hands!

HorseyMcHorseyFace

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:55am

HorseyMcHorseyFace

LOL Everytime they run a public vote, they end up with the joke response. 

Maybe Crafty Cruiser or a rematch with Skyfire

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:58am
I might have to get my trainers license and put the old girl Richters Gift back into work, surely TBV can help her get a run?

Posted By: Tontonan
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 11:53am
Historically there was a WFA mile at the VRC Autumn meeting for 100 years before it was dumped in 1966.  

It was originally known as the VRC All Aged Stakes and it was won three times by the great Carbine.  From around 1905 it was renamed the CM Lloyd Stakes and was won by the Hall of Famers Wakeful, Eurythmic (twice) Amounis, Ajax (twice) High Caste Tranquil Star (thrice) and Sky High (twice) before it was last run in 1965 and won by Ripa.  It was also the race in which Phar Lap was upset at the peak of his powers by Waterline in 1931.

Makes me wonder why they ever cut it.

A few years ago the MTC ran the Futurity at a mile as part of an Asian challenge series but they didn't persist with it.  They should have. 

The current proposal is another over staked novelty race that we really don't need.   

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 11:53am

I'm sure it's like the Kosciusko and you can only vote from a pre-selected list.

-------------
Sunline...simply supreme

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Sunline Sunline wrote:

I'm sure it's like the Kosciusko and you can only vote from a pre-selected list.

That's not what the Kozzy had, they had a suggested list put together by Racing NSW, you could pick outside of that list but it was a tool for people that didn't know the horses as well to get a good idea of who was available/good enough.

But surely they will have to do that for this, then the 4 'wildcard' spots might be used to try and get overseas horses.

Posted By: Enabled
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 2:29pm
Be interesting if they can get any overseas raiders.

Posted By: VOYAGER
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 5:30pm
Okay first off everyone knows my thoughts on the wfa scale so I will not bore us with that.

But I actually think this is a good race idea. The placement for me is ideal, 3 weeks before the Doncaster and lead ins through the Orr and Futurity.

The reason I like it is because the ATC have let the chance slip. They dropped the All Aged back from the 1600m to 1400m, and the only wfa mile race they have late in the carnival is the Queen Of The Turf for the females.

Obviously they wanted Doncaster horses to go onto the Queen Elizabeth.

If you abandon a good group of horses then some other club will fill the void and the Victorians have done that.

The only problem I have is what has been stated earlier, we could get a Badger's Wood type situation, where we could get a non-stakes horse in there.

-------------
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise

Posted By: djebel
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 5:54pm
This race highlights the stupidity of our racing.

Everything is crammed into too short a period. It is ALL rushed.

It is crap.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: jimbob04
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 5:57pm
should be good

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 9:37pm
The people will decide the field - what a lot of bulldust.  

They are creating the gold logie of Australian racing.  I reckon Home and Away will win.

But the twitter crowd will love it.  They will feel they are engaged and part of the action.  They might even take a photo of themselves to celebrate.  

All that will happen is that the Doncaster and Ryder Stakes will be diluted.  Maybe even the Australian Cup as well.  They will have thrown up another option for horses to avoid racing each other.

This is the stupidity of the pattern system.  It continues to grow fat at the top where it should be pointy.  

We don't need more Group 1 races, we need less.  We need to engineer a racing calender that channels the best horses into fewer races, compelling them to contest races against the best. 

It is a large part of why AUstralian racing is so pissweak.  It is designed to be pissweak.

Posted By: Jamal
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by Tontonan Tontonan wrote:

They are creating the gold logie of Australian racing.  I reckon Home and Away will win.

But the twitter crowd will love it.  They will feel they are engaged and part of the action.  They might even take a photo of themselves to celebrate.  

All that will happen is that the Doncaster and Ryder Stakes will be diluted.  Maybe even the Australian Cup as well.  They will have thrown up another option for horses to avoid racing each other.

This is the stupidity of the pattern system.  It continues to grow fat at the top where it should be pointy.  

We don't need more Group 1 races, we need less.  We need to engineer a racing calender that channels the best horses into fewer races, compelling them to contest races against the best. 

It is a large part of why AUstralian racing is so pissweak.  It is designed to be pissweak.

Very well said. Far too many G1s. Races like the Memsie and Makybe Diva should not be G1 races for example.

-------------
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers

Posted By: Brudder_A
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:52pm
What's more this event is for the Shieks, Oligarchs, Multi-horse owners who can another limelight for their involvement in the industry.

Rather than spend $5 million on grassroots Clubs around the state anudder propped up gradeless race with now public input is sleazeing its way into wannabee appreciations.

Dunkeld on the weekend had 10,000 for their meet. But the lines to buy food and drink and not enuff dunnies made folks wonder WTF and "Why do I have to put up with this krep?" Racing Victoria's reckons you should just suck it up and then give a standing ovation for those megastars who race for multi-million purses.

Thanks4Coming.

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 11:03pm
Dunkeld doesn’t even have on course electricity!!!

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 11:09pm

This is the stupidity of Australia's non pattern system.

There is no pattern to top class racing in Australia.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 11:14pm

Otherwise I agree.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 1:18am
Group Ones should be the Pinnacle of a prep, not lead up races. You want the best racing the best...

Posted By: Carioca
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 10:28am

Group Ones should be the Pinnacle of a prep, not lead up races. You want the best racing the best...

To a point I agree but you must remember although the horses may start their preps about the same time they don't always peak together for reasons you would best know.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 3:32pm

The proliferation of G1s works for the studs and I assume that's why the system was created. You hear commentary all the time- if colt x wins a G1 his value will double and if it wins one of the prestige G1s (and that's not a tautology) much more than that.

Seems to me a remarkably simple minded way of assessing a horse's worth but that's the way it works, apparently. If I was looking to purchase an untried sire's service I would drill down into his performances, not just read the labels on them, to see how much I thought they added to the value of the service. A G2 win can be a higher quality performance than a G1 win.

-------------

Simon Cameron

Posted By: VOYAGER
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Brudder_A Brudder_A wrote:

What's more this event is for the Shieks, Oligarchs, Multi-horse owners who can another limelight for their involvement in the industry.

Rather than spend $5 million on grassroots Clubs around the state anudder propped up gradeless race with now public input is sleazeing its way into wannabee appreciations.

Dunkeld on the weekend had 10,000 for their meet. But the lines to buy food and drink and not enuff dunnies made folks wonder WTF and "Why do I have to put up with this krep?" Racing Victoria's reckons you should just suck it up and then give a standing ovation for those megastars who race for multi-million purses.

Thanks4Coming.

Okay lets see if next years race will be for the sheiks and big horse owners.

Top 15 milers right now.

1. Hartnell
2. Le Romain
3. Winx
4. Shillelagh
5. Land Of Plenty
6. D'Argento
7. Unforgotten
8. Best Of Days
9. Cliff's Edge
10.Grunt
11.The Autumn Sun
12.Oohood
13.Amphitrite
14.Railway Stakes winner

So it is not so much a sheiks and rich mans race, but a Weir & Waller race. Just call it the Darren & Chris All Stars Mile and be done with it.

The others on the shortlist for people to vote for would probably include Seige Of Quebec, Peaceful State, Ringerdingding, Fundamentalist.

I totally agree that grassroots are being ignored, and also absolutely agree that group 1's should be at the end of carnivals, but that ship has sailed with the Memsie, Orr, and Makybe Divaas well as the Winx Stakes already crossing that line.

It is also a reason why The Everest should be made a group 1, because it is the culmination of the Sydney spring sprinters races.

Having said all this I see no reason why this race should not succeed. The only races it will dilute is the early races in Sydney such as the Apollo and the Chipping Norton. Horses being aimed at the Australian cup have been mostloy stayers in the last decade so they would not be running at a mile anyway, and the George Ryder is usually for sprinters looking to stretch out to 1500m.

-------------
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 4:15pm

The two clear favourites in Australia's top mile wfa race held next autumn would be Winx and TAS. I have no idea who would be third favourite- daylight. What are the odds of either of those two running in this race?

"Australian racing’s newest star – https://www.racenet.com.au/horse/the-autumn-sun" rel="nofollow - The Autumn Sun – appears unlikely to run in the $5m All-Star Mile.

It means there is a high probability that neither https://www.racenet.com.au/horse/winx" rel="nofollow - Winx nor https://www.racenet.com.au/horse/the-autumn-sun" rel="nofollow - The Autumn Sun , currently the $1.80 favourite and $7 second favourite with Sportsbet for the All-Star Mile, will be seen in the new 1600m race at https://www.racenet.com.au/tracks/vic/flemington" rel="nofollow - Flemington in March."

Ben Dorries, Racenet

https://www.racenet.com.au/news/will-the-autumn-sun-rise-for-all-star-mile-20181120

I guess Grunt is the third favourite. Accompanied by the usual suspects, Humidor and 5 more Weir runners.

-------------

Simon Cameron

Posted By: Baguette
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 4:24pm
The Autumn Sun and Winx won't start in it.

Posted By: Tim Whiffler
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 10:13pm
Bart, TJ & Sugar Lips would be turning in their graves hearing that horses are bypassing a $5m race. This is the result of the Hunter Valley running Australian racing. They don’t need the money. Maybe RV should just tip the money into BM58’s, there’s enough trainers out there eating paint of the walls. At least they would appreciate it more than Messara & co.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

Originally posted by Brudder_A Brudder_A wrote:

Thanks4Coming.

Okay lets see if next years race will be for the sheiks and big horse owners.

Top 15 milers right now.

1. Hartnell
2. Le Romain
3. Winx
4. Shillelagh
5. Land Of Plenty
6. D'Argento
7. Unforgotten
8. Best Of Days
9. Cliff's Edge
10.Grunt
11.The Autumn Sun
12.Oohood
13.Amphitrite
14.Railway Stakes winner

Happy Clapper - Definitely above all bar Winx on this list as of accomplishments thus far at a mile.
Sesar - Has shown the ability at a mile to be on this list
Zousain - Same as above

So it is not so much a sheiks and rich mans race, but a Weir & Waller race. Just call it the Darren & Chris All Stars Mile and be done with it.

The others on the shortlist for people to vote for would probably include Seige Of Quebec, Peaceful State, Ringerdingding, Fundamentalist.

I totally agree that grassroots are being ignored, and also absolutely agree that group 1's should be at the end of carnivals, but that ship has sailed with the Memsie, Orr, and Makybe Divaas well as the Winx Stakes already crossing that line.

It is also a reason why The Everest should be made a group 1, because it is the culmination of the Sydney spring sprinters races.

Having said all this I see no reason why this race should not succeed. The only races it will dilute is the early races in Sydney such as the Apollo and the Chipping Norton. Horses being aimed at the Australian cup have been mostloy stayers in the last decade so they would not be running at a mile anyway, and the George Ryder is usually for sprinters looking to stretch out to 1500m.

Posted By: furious
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 9:35am
Well I for one hope Winx continues to race in NSW so I can say goodbye to her on Golden Slipper day.  She has been the highlight for us on that day for a few years now.  Nothing against the Victorians trying something new.  I just hope to see my favourites in NSW the following week.  I can't travel to Victoria at that time due to work.  

The George Main is the 1600m WFA championship.  Winx, Kingston Town, Shannon, Lonhro, Shaftsbury Avenue, Emancipation, Baguette, Wenona Star, Sacred Falls, Kermadec, Shoot Out, Imposing, Streama, More Joyous, Grand Armee, Mentality, Shogun Lodge, Durbridge etc etc etc.  You can't say that this list isn't extremely good.

Posted By: Lordy
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 9:45am
Field will be decided by Russian bots.

Posted By: Bonfield
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 4:17pm
Stupid race imo.

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 4:27pm
It will be interesting to see if they assume the Blamey Stakes as the All Star Mile ...or whetever the hell they call it. 

If they do they will assume the Blamey's Group 2 status - and we will lose a race named in honour of one of our most important soldiers for a cutesy marketing exercise with the sole purpose of thumbing their noses at the ATC.

Our racing administrators are pathetic.  

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 4:33pm
I want this to field with some no hopers
Horses like Entirely Perfect, Sommernachstraum, Rets and Earthling

Let’s hope all four get a run

Posted By: Gee Gee
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 8:09pm
Spoilt brat who shovels down the meat pies Nick Williams (who bags the Everest) can fill half this field with his Plodders first up.  

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 8:44am
Hartnell $26 TAB/UBET
Le Romain $34 Sportsbet

Posted By: Sister Dot
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 9:38am

HorseyMcHorseyFace

Horsey McHorseFace is no more

LOL Everytime they run a public vote, they end up with the joke response. 

Maybe Crafty Cruiser or a rematch with Skyfire

-------------
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”

Posted By: Formerly Kincsem
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 2:11pm
Does not sit comfortably that The Autumn Sun's connections are publicly confirming they intend to  dodge Winx. I find it absolutely pathetic and particularly when they state they wouldn't want to beat her like they think they have a live chance. Personally I wouldn't support the horse at stud out of principle and the fact I think Redoubt's are pea-hearted just like the owners.

Harsh, yes. But imagine if Northerly was campaigned around Sunline. What a build-up if they both ran, would be great for racing.

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Formerly Kincsem Formerly Kincsem wrote:

Does not sit comfortably that The Autumn Sun's connections are publicly confirming they intend to  dodge Winx. I find it absolutely pathetic and particularly when they state they wouldn't want to beat her like they think they have a live chance. Personally I wouldn't support the horse at stud out of principle and the fact I think Redoubt's are pea-hearted just like the owners.

Harsh, yes. But imagine if Northerly was campaigned around Sunline. What a build-up if they both ran, would be great for racing.

It's marketing hype - they will definitely end up racing if he comes back as dominant. The way I see it they only have one real 'out' against racing Winx and that is to make the Doncaster the 'goal'. The only other way he avoids her and also doesn't run in this mile race is by going what, Randwick Guineas - Rosehill Guineas, seems a crazy underwhelming prep, feel like even if he went undefeated in that prep (without the Doncaster) it would probably if anything dent his value a bit. 

He really has to win a Doncaster or run Winx a tight race in the QE to maintain the hype.

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 3:25pm

Sounds a bit like SEPOY actively dodging BLACK CAVIAR. It was indicated early on he would not take her on and look for other races, trying to protect stud value.

Personally, I think Group 1 races should be heavily cut back to encourage the best to race the best. And even change the prizemoney structure of these races so they are not so heavily geared to the winner. The issue you have at the moment is why race for 2nd against WINX in say the Group 1 Turnbull Stakes, when 2nd prizemoney is less than winning most normal races.

Posted By: Heavenly Glow
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 3:57pm

Connections are dodging Winx because the Autumn Sun would not get anywhere near Winx. 

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:02pm
The dude who has purchased The Autumn Sun knows exactly what Redoute's are like, which is why I find stories of him campaigning past his 3yos season and campaigning overseas extremely hard to believe.

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:48pm

Sounds a bit like SEPOY actively dodging BLACK CAVIAR. It was indicated early on he would not take her on and look for other races, trying to protect stud value.

Personally, I think Group 1 races should be heavily cut back to encourage the best to race the best. And even change the prizemoney structure of these races so they are not so heavily geared to the winner. The issue you have at the moment is why race for 2nd against WINX in say the Group 1 Turnbull Stakes, when 2nd prizemoney is less than winning most normal races.

Keep yourself in the best company and your horses in the worst. Makes sense to me if people want to target races they can win and avoid those they can't.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 5:50pm
I can't help myself Lordy... Have you always applied the same wisdom to your race track experience - and I am not talking about the company you keep, more your horse...

If not, what changed your mind ? Big smile

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 7:23pm
Ole Buff never dodged anything. But he was a gelding I suppose. If you’ve got a well bred youngster, steer him into one of the plethora of substandard G1 races in the country and Hey Presto. Hopefully then one of his babies can do the same. Rinse, repeat.

Even heard some leading trainers around refer to (market themselves) as “stallion makers”. And in the meantime, our horses are getting worse.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 7:34pm
Why would anyone in there right mind send an expensive colt around to run 2nd, 2nd, 2nd when you could go 1st, 1st, 1st in other G1 races

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by TJMitchell TJMitchell wrote:

Why would anyone in there right mind send an expensive colt around to run 2nd, 2nd, 2nd when you could go 1st, 1st, 1st in other G1 races

Does running second to Black Caviar as opposed to beating a far lesser horse make him better? Likely to be a better stallion? To rich morons, probably yes.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 8:34pm
I don’t see how running 2nd to Winx would make any difference to his stud career.
His DNA is not going to change, he is either going to be a stud champion or a dud.
His racing career from here on in is irrelevant.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 8:59pm
By not racing Winx they could always fan the flames of speculation that he could have beaten her.

Posted By: Afros
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 10:49am
This war between Sydney and Melbourne is only hurting racing, there needs to be a national independent body rather then the current model that works on self interest. For mine Melbourne started this by allowing their autumn carnival to encrouch on the Sydney autumn.

Posted By: Hartnell is dominant
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 9:19am
Took me an hour to find this
The search function here is dreadful

Voting now open at Allstarmile.com.au

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 9:20am
Here is the leaderboard after 20mins of voting

TOP 10 ALL-STARS LEADERBOARD
Horse          # Votes
1     Urban Ruler          16
2     Grunt          14
3     Mystic Journey          14
4     The Autumn Sun          13
5     Hellova Street          12
6     Amphitrite          11
7     Violate          10
8     Aristia          8
9     Hartnell          7
10     Moss 'n' Dale          7

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 10:43am
10.30am update. Looks like a lot of votes already cast. Open for a month. 1 vote per person.

Horse & # Votes
1     Man of His Word 219
2     Urban Ruler     181
3     The Autumn Sun 160
4     Amphitrite 145
5     Mr Money Bags 137
6     Foundry     121
7     Grunt     95
8     Hellova Street     93
9     Land of Plenty     80
10     Alizee 74

Posted By: Gay3
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Hartnell is dominant Hartnell is dominant wrote:

I'll change it to All Star Mile & there's nothing wrong with the search as long as you use Advanced, change Message to Topic and know what word to look for LOL
Some titles defy all logic Confused

-------------
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 11:59am
Thanks Gay3

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 12:42pm
It helps when you have over 1000 owners.

Horse          # Votes
1     Urban Ruler          765
2     Man of His Word     426
3     The Autumn Sun     350
4     Mr Money Bags     344
5     Amphitrite          331
6     Foundry                  260
7     Moss 'n' Dale          228
8     Grunt                  195
9     Land of Plenty          182
10     Aristia                  176

Posted By: kavg
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

I'll change it to All Star Mile & there's nothing wrong with the search as long as you use Advanced, change Message to Topic and know what word to look for LOL
Some titles defy all logic Confused

If the top 10 remain the same then you may have to change it again and drop Star from the title.

-------------
Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 1:41pm
The Autumn Sun would be Winx odds in that field , at WFA

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 1:44pm
He is doubtful according to Sportsbet.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 1:45pm
Hope it’s okay if I keep positing the leaderboard, let me know if you want me to stop.
Will update every few days, just doing it semi regular today because it’s day 1

1     Urban Ruler          1054
2     Man of His Word     488
3     The Autumn Sun     451
4     Amphitrite          425
5     Mr Money Bags     397
6     Moss 'n' Dale          351
7     Foundry                  308
8     Grunt                  265
9     Land of Plenty          241
10     Violate                  241

Posted By: kiwi88
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 3:20pm

Hope it’s okay if I keep positing the leaderboard, let me know if you want me to stop.

7     Foundry                  308
8     Grunt                  265
10     Violate                  241

Thanks, it's handy, the site is blocked outside of Australia so I can't check myself. 

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 5:37pm
5.30pm update

Horse          # Votes
1     Urban Ruler          1400
2     The Autumn Sun     625
3     Man of His Word     552
4     Moss 'n' Dale          465
5     Amphitrite          456
6     Mr Money Bags     382
7     Grunt                  339
8     Penny to Sell          315
9     Foundry                  311
10     Material Man          304

Posted By: Afros
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 6:51pm
The Autumn Sun will start at money back against that lot.

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 6:55pm
You can get $8 now

-------------

Posted By: jacko1
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

They add four wild cards to the race two weeks before so he may get some competition in the form of that. 

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 7:24pm
Voting goes for 4 weeks.

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 7:28pm

5.30pm update

Horse          # Votes
1     Urban Ruler          1400
2     The Autumn Sun     625
3     Man of His Word     552
4     Moss 'n' Dale          465
5     Amphitrite          456
6     Mr Money Bags     382
7     Grunt                  339
8     Penny to Sell          315
9     Foundry                  311
10     Material Man          304

Most of this top 10's votes have actually dropped since you posted this.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 7:33pm
That’s very bizarre
I have the screen shot showing my above post as accurate.
Don’t know what’s going on.
Unless some have been deemed ineligible

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 7:42pm
They have been fluctuating a lot the last 2 hours or so.

-------------

Posted By: ExceedAndExcel
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 8:16pm
They run the risk of a loss of credibility for this race before it’s even been run if some of these get a guernsey. Do you really want a $5m race with horses that can’t even win a class 6 at the Sunshine Coast?

Posted By: Shrunk in the Wash
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 8:38pm
M

7     Foundry                  308
8     Grunt                  265
10     Violate                  241

Maybe Tilyras who owns Mr M can enlighten us as to what’s going on with 5hese very bizarre numbers

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 8:42pm
It is based on an Invitation race that has been run in Japan since the 1950's

4 horses are invited, so presumably if horses like The Autumn Sun, Happy Clapper etc dont get in through the vote, they get invited. It wont be like The Kosciuszko 

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 8:53pm
I’ve sent an email to Greg Carpenter at Racing Vic for an explanation

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 8:59pm
So did I. He answered t queries I had today. He is very good.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 9:27pm
Agreed.

Posted By: jacko1
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

It is based on an Invitation race that has been run in Japan since the 1950's

4 horses are invited, so presumably if horses like The Autumn Sun, Happy Clapper etc dont get in through the vote, they get invited. It wont be like The Kosciuszko 

Yeah I mean the concept needs fixing if the most exciting 3 year old and one of the most popular older horses can't muster the votes to get in. I'm not against owners trying to rally the votes, but hopefully the general racing fan gets involved in voting and we get a competitive field. 

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 9:50pm
If TAS Alizee, Happy Clapper or Grunt misses out on the voting they will be among the contenders for the 4 wildcards selected. If they all get in then the 4 wildcards will be the next 4 best that missed out. I can see 6-8 Group One horses in first.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 6:28am

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 1:11pm
I'm amazed why anyone is voting at this stage if they want a good chance (albeit slim) of becoming an "owner ambassador" and be in the running for 500k in prizemoney... I'm waiting until the last hour or so, and picking whoever is 9th or 10th in order of votes... at least then you've got a better chance of being drawn out of those voters.

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 1:18pm

I'm amazed why anyone is voting at this stage if they want a good chance (albeit slim) of becoming an "owner ambassador" and be in the running for 500k in prizemoney... I'm waiting until the last hour or so, and picking whoever is 9th or 10th in order of votes... at least then you've got a better chance of being drawn out of those voters.

Shut the kiss up LOL

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: Gee Gee
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by jacko1 jacko1 wrote:

Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

They add four wild cards to the race two weeks before so he may get some competition in the form of that. 

There's your FF. Load up :)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net