Subject: Cross Counter
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 3:06pm
That was a massive run!!

-------------
"Go Hard or Go Home”

Replies:
Posted By: Afros
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 3:08pm
Looked like the only one you wanted to be on at around the 300 was absolutely sprouting wings!

Posted By: Sneck
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 3:17pm
Profiled nice but was a little hard to back considering he sweated up, had a setback and bandages on.
Well done to those who were on.

Posted By: Lord Hybrow
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 6:48pm
What now for Cross Counter?

Can he return to the UK and be competitive in the big G1 staying races? Perhaps be a challenger to Stradivarius in 2019?

Posted By: Tlazolteotl
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Lord Hybrow Lord Hybrow wrote:

Can he return to the UK and be competitive in the big G1 staying races? Perhaps be a challenger to Stradivarius in 2019?

Probably nothing really of note

No

-------------
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Posted By: Shawy38
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 7:50pm
On the plane back to Dubai departing Sunday.

No plans as to what’s next, other than they’ll be bringing him back next spring for the Cup

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Probably nothing really of note

No

I've changed my mind. He will win G1s in England.

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 9:31pm
That was a quick flip flop Tlaz. What changed your mind?

Not sure about being as 4000m Ascot Gold Cup type, but maybe Goodwood Cup or other major 2800-3200m events.

Posted By: breeding_above_all
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 11:18pm
Has plenty of talent, he will have plenty of weight now though for a young horse. Will need to be placed well. Heaps of scope

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 8:44am

That was a quick flip flop Tlaz. What changed your mind?

Not sure about being as 4000m Ascot Gold Cup type, but maybe Goodwood Cup or other major 2800-3200m events.

Mainly the opinion of the Timeform dude.Smile

-------------

Simon Cameron

Posted By: Red Hare
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 11:06am
Thought the international race in Honkers would've been up his alley... maybe a bit much for an April 3yo?

Posted By: Carioca
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 4:33pm
I doubt if we will see this horse again, so imo we have been lucky to witness a very talented 3yo, being a gelding I suppose there could be a slight chance , this horse on form could have bolted in the English Derby, my reasoning is the horse that ran second in the Derby ( beaten length and a half) Dee Ex Bee was flogged by this horse ( 4- 1-2 L) and ran a record over a mile and a half , there was some very talented horses behind the winner of the Derby,Roaring Lion, Kew Gardens, and odds on fav.Saxony Warrior, which
BTW was won by another Godolphin /Appleby runner, only guessing this horse must have been a problem for him to be cut, I hope we see him again and my facts lol are correct.

Posted By: furious
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 4:38pm
A friend of mine has just had a foal by Palentino (by Teofilo) from a mare from the female line of Cross Counter!  Hope they can find a trainer who can train stayers.

Posted By: stayer
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 4:50pm
I'm no great follower of Euro racing (starting to be as I understand it better) but I was pretty surprised that so many better judges didn't rate Cross Counter in the Cup, mainly because I've been following Kew Gardens as a talent. For an inexperienced horse to mix it with Kew Gardens and Dee Ex Bee, and earmarked early on by Appleby for the Melbourne Cup, with no weight and McEvoy riding... I didn't understand how it wasn't fave against Yucatan and Magic Circle. Easy to say in retrospect, but it seemed a stand out to me before the barrier. The leg scratch maybe put people off?
Will be really interested in following Cross Counter (and Kew Gardens.)

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

A friend of mine has just had a foal by Palentino (by Teofilo) from a mare from the female line of Cross Counter!  Hope they can find a trainer who can train stayers.<div id="UMS_TOOLTIP" style=": ; cursor: pointer; : 2147483647; : transparent; top: -100000px; left: -100000px;">

Hope they do for both of your sakes.

Posted By: furious
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 4:58pm
He's only a few hours old.  I was just amused.  His breeder is very very canny but you wouldn't believe the cross coming up a few days after the race.

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

The race has zero interest for me now as far as betting goes. What is next year's winner, another NH 3YO, up to at the moment?

To answer my own question, at this time last year Cross Counter was unraced.

I've just come across something interesting. The racingpost form says "gelding notification", after he won his first two starts. Did they geld him after his first two starts, which sounds very odd to me, or is that when the public was notified he was a gelding, also odd, or is just the weird way racingpost format their form?

https://www.racingpost.com/profile/horse/1737321/cross-counter/form" rel="nofollow - https://www.racingpost.com/profile/horse/1737321/cross-counter/form

-------------

Simon Cameron

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 9:14pm
There is a 5 month gap between 2nd and 3rd run, possible it may have been then but according to R.A. he won his second start by 8 lengths on the synthetic surface, he may have been done before he even raced and just surprised them all , whatever he's v/good.

Posted By: Brudder_A
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 1:58pm
Running in the Dubai Gold Cup over 3200m (Race 3)

Posted By: Jamal
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2019 at 11:56pm
Melbourne Cup form holds up in the G2 Dubai Gold Cup (3200m). Good to see. Cross Counter 😊

-------------
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers

Posted By: Grey Affair
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2019 at 11:57pm
Cross Counter just won the Dubai Gold Cup defeating his stablemate, Ispolini.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 12:06am
Godolphin quinella - Charles Appleby - quinella

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 12:09am
What is impressive here is that he has won both 3200 metre races without any preps.

Superbly trained to be fit and win!

Posted By: Shrunk in the Wash
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 8:22am
Appleby said he decided on this race to dodge Old Persian.

Good move

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 9:55am
Entered in Saudi Arabia Feb 29 The Red Sea Turf Handicap, held over 3,000 meters (about 1 7/8 miles).

Also multiple group 1-winning Kew Gardens, globetrotting Prince of Arran.

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 1:33am
Very pedestrian effort in the Henry II Stakes at Sandown today.

Hed have to be doubtful to make a Melb Cup trip again.

Posted By: djebel
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 2:26am
The 3 horses that ran in the marathon races at Ascot ran 3rd last 2nd last and last.

I suspect they had not recovered.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: kavg
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 3:56pm
As much as I was an Appleby fan when cross counter won the MC, I do feel his campaigning of him since then has flattened him.

-------------
Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net