Forum Description: General discussion about thoroughbred horse racing
URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=62974
Printed Date: 19 Mar 2024 at 1:01pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Utzon (NZ)
Posted By: Dizzy
Subject: Utzon (NZ)
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 6:10pm
White filly. Trialled nicely this morning at Cranbourne.
https://www.racing.com/form/2018-10-08/cranbourne-trn-trial/race/7/result" rel="nofollow - https://www.racing.com/form/2018-10-08/cranbourne-trn-trial/race/7/result

Replies:
Posted By: Tontonan
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 6:40pm
Nicely named.  By Charmed Spirit from The Opera House.

Lucky the trial wasn't in Sydney.  Someone would have put a logo on her.

Jørn Utzon with a model of his late 1950s design for the Sydney Opera House.

Posted By: Dizzy
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 6:47pm

Posted By: Isaac soloman
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 2:44pm
http://www.racing.com/videos/2018-10-08/utzon-catches-the-eye-at-cranbourne" rel="nofollow - www.racing.com/videos/2018-10-08/utzon-catches-the-eye-at-cranbourne

Posted By: SHOVHOG
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 5:35am
I grew up watching a group horse trained by Les Bridge with the same name. How is this allowed to be used again only 15 years later ?

-------------
" In gambling the many must lose in order for the few to win"

Posted By: Prince of Penzance
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 8:35am
Originally posted by SHOVHOG SHOVHOG wrote:

I grew up watching a group horse trained by Les Bridge with the same name. How is this allowed to be used again only 15 years later ?

Names can be used again 17 years after the birth of the previous horse.

Posted By: Grey Affair
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 7:07pm
The gelding by Nothin' Leica Dane was registered in Australia & the filly by Charm Spirit was registered in New Zealand.

Posted By: Kingy
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 7:40pm
Didn't see this thread till now.

I have this horse marked in my blackbook and it'll only get better over further.
Very keen to have crack each way Saturday anyway but definitely one to follow.

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 9:38pm
Out of a 3/4 sister to Might and Power - you bet she'll get over further.  

Posted By: Sister Dot
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:34am
Originally posted by Tontonan Tontonan wrote:

Out of a 3/4 sister to Might and Power - you bet she'll get over further.  

Won over 2100m @Wyong, good track, only had a few starts

-------------
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 1:17am

This is Yukichan (2005) the best white thoroughbred to date.  She was a multiple stakes winner in Japan and as far as I know the only white stakes winner in the history of the breed. 

Like Utzon she was the daughter of a white mare :  Shirayukihime (who was by Sunday Silence).  While Yukichan (and Utzon) inherited their colour from their dams. Shirayukihime and The Opera House did not.  Their colour is a genetic mutation rather than a genetic inheritance.

They aren't greys of any description and they aren't albinos.  They are dominant whites.

Not all Dominant White horses are pure white.  Yukichan's half sister Buchiko is a good example.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 1:30am

This is Yukichan (2005) the best white thoroughbred to date.  She was a multiple stakes winner in Japan and as far as I know the only white stakes winner in the history of the breed. 

Like Utzon she was the daughter of a white mare :  Shirayukihime (who was by Sunday Silence).  While Yukichan (and Utzon) inherited their colour from their dams. Shirayukihime and The Opera House did not.  Their colour is a genetic mutation rather than a genetic inheritance.

They aren't greys of any description and they aren't albinos.  They are dominant whites.

Not all Dominant White horses are pure white.  Yukichan's half sister Buchiko is a good example.

Buchiko won 4 races and was has headed for stakes success before she was retired after a barrier incident.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 1:33am

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 1:37am
Check out Utzon on  Breednet

http://www.breednet.com.au/news/5437/The-Good-News-Opera-House-Story-This-Weekend-at-Caulfield" rel="nofollow - http://www.breednet.com.au/news/5437/The-Good-News-Opera-House-Story-This-Weekend-at-Caulfield

Posted By: acacia alba
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 11:44am
While I have had coloured genes/horses explained to me, and tried to read and digest it all, it never sinks in. 
But its very interesting how it all works and what makes them that way.
Some of the coloured TBs that Peta has or breeds at Winning Colours Farm are spectacular.  But just to me they never seem to be race horses.  They seem too pretty.
There was a white TB stallion out at Baradine about 22/23 or so years ago now, but blowed if I can think of his name.

-------------
animals before people.

Posted By: furious
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 11:49am
Hope she wins although I'm following Champagne Boom from the sales.  Had a bit of luck with her female line before.

Posted By: Carioca
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:05pm
I reckon Martello Towers must have been close to an albino, his nickname in the stable was Pinky, at the track of a morning you would see him walk out of the hosing dock and the pigment in the skin was very obvious , he was a bit of a character and always caught the eye.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:10pm
Was he the one that almost died in the floods of the Hawkesbury Carioca.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

Was he the one that almost died in the floods of the Hawkesbury Carioca.<div id="UMS_TOOLTIP" style=": ; cursor: pointer; : 2147483647; : transparent; top: -100000px; left: -100000px;">

Yes he was furious, a photo of this shivering grey on a little bit of high ground I will never forget, he went to TJ after being with Peter Lawson all his earlier life ( he trained Evening Peal 56 MC winner) I think the flood done damage to his air intake swimming to get away and probably panicking never the same after that , I think he won the AJC Derby too.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:50pm
I seem to recall that he was very badly stripped in the Victoria Derby and he never fully recaptured his best form after that.

He is clearly a grey*.   He wasn't albino.  

That is the point about Dominant Whites.  They aren't albinos either, and nor are they grey.  There is nothing lacking in white horses.  As I said it is a genetic mutation - not an inheritance - in the first instance (i.e. The Opera House) that can subsequently be inherited from the horse with the original mutation.  There are virtually no greys in Utzon's pedigree.

(* greys are often born with a majority of coloured hairs which lose their pigment over time.  Gunsynd for example was quite dark as a juvenile and lightened through his racing career.  By the end of his life he was 'virtually' white.)

Gunsynd at stud.

Another good example is Surround.  He she was as a filly...

and he she was as broodmare later in life...

Posted By: Shrunk in the Wash
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 12:56pm
2 of my favourites tontonan. Thanks for the pics

Posted By: acacia alba
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 1:28pm
Yes, thanks both Cari and Toto,  very interesting stories and photos.
Where did Martello Towers end up, OTT ??

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 2:21pm
As  a sire in WA.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 3:31pm
From memory Tontonan he went mad in the gates whacked his head ( he was a bit iffy at the best of times) he had won the two guinea races and the Derby and I think he was favourite in the VRC Derby , Sky High won the Derby that day.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 6:15pm
Close....but no cigar.  Sky High was the following year.  in 1959 the Victoria Derby was won by Travel Boy, Martello Towers was last of 7 as 10/9fav. Curiously the best horse to come out of the race was Dhaulagiiri - and he finished 2nd last.

I'll need to to do some research on why Martello blew it.  

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 6:23pm
We are both wrong if Jack Pollard is right.

He claims that Martello Towers lashed out in the barriers jsut before they jumped and badly stripped his back legs, returning to scale with blood pouring from his wounds.  Pollard also confirms that laranyx issues affected the horse after he won the George Main Stakes in record time as his form fell away.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 6:27pm
That could of been after his escape from the floods.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 6:32pm
Max Presnell wrote :

" Back in November 1961, the Nepean River broke its banks, washing thoroughbreds, spelling in nearby paddocks, around the countryside. AJC Derby winner Martello Towers, a grey, was washed away.  The staying power of Martello Towers also wasn't limited to the Randwick mile and a half and he finally made high ground after being missing for 10 hours. "

In all he had 37 starts for 11 wins 8 seconds 4 thirds and $44,806

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Tontonan Tontonan wrote:

We are both wrong if Jack Pollard is right.

He claims that Martello Towers lashed out in the barriers jsut before they jumped and badly stripped his back legs, returning to scale with blood pouring from his wounds.  Pollard also confirms that laranyx issues affected the horse after he won the George Main Stakes in record time as his form fell away.

Yes that's more like Tontonan exactly what happened , I knew he went off in the gates, I remember this horse from his very first start at Canterbury he was rather "warm" next start at Randwick huge plonk I think a big bookie was involved and one as he liked , watched at the track many times , enjoy your posts mate always great to converse fwiw.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 7:07pm
* Won...think I'm losing it.

Posted By: Sister Dot
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 10:38am
Chautauqua is another classic example, he didn’t start out with those big black dapples on a white background. All greys eventually white out, how long it takes depends on how dark their coat is to begin with. Greys can be born as black, brown or any solid colour foal. The first sign that it’s going to be a grey is a white ring of hairs around their eye. [

-------------
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”

Posted By: scamanda
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

I reckon Martello Towers must have been close to an albino, his nickname in the stable was Pinky, at the track of a morning you would see him walk out of the hosing dock and the pigment in the skin was very obvious , he was a bit of a character and always caught the eye.

Martello Towers had a pink nose hence the stable name Pinky.
In the stable alongside him was another grey with the stable name Bluey.

I'd walk past them every day going to and coming home from school. And even got to sit on both, with them wearing their rugs. The only way of telling them apart was their noses. At least that is how it looked to me but I was only a kid then.

-------------
I started with nothing and still have most of it left

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by scamanda scamanda wrote:

I'd walk past them every day going to and coming home from school. And even got to sit on both, with them wearing their rugs. The only way of telling them apart was their noses. At least that is how it looked to me but I was only a kid then.

Good memories there Scamanda, was he with ED Lawson ( Peter) then or had he left to go to TJ?

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 12:53pm
He wasn't with T.J.Smith then Carioca. I remember the stable doors faced the gate and we could see both horses from the gates. I don't remember the street name but it seemed very small, almost like a laneway.

Long time ago mate. Faded memory doesn't help.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 12:54pm

Originally posted by scamanda scamanda wrote:

Good memories there Scamanda, was he with ED Lawson ( Peter) then or had he left to go to TJ?

Silly question by me, of course it would be TJ ( school)

Posted By: Shawy38
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 1:14pm
Lucky not to fall

Posted By: djebel
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 1:19pm
Another example of a stamina pedigree showing speed and so they run her in speed races. 

She might be speedy but it is clearly not the cheap and nasty short course speed. 

Put her away for the Autumn 1600m contests. 

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 1:20pm
The winner cam out and gave then all a bit of heave ho Shawy. Mockery didn't help.
Williams will get a holiday for that.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 1:24pm
Very messy in the straight. Stewards will be busy

Posted By: Batman
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 1:29pm
Craig Williams is getting a holiday

-------------
Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.

Posted By: anabel
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 1:31pm
It’s action looked horrible on the way to the gates.

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by anabel anabel wrote:

Does her whiteness make her action look strange ?

When I watched the trial I thought her action looked weird strange.  

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: anabel
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by anabel anabel wrote:

Does her whiteness make her action look strange ?

When I watched the trial I thought her action looked weird strange.  

Maybe. Sometimes the really light horses do look a bit odd. But she had her head in an awkward spot, was reaching for the ground and action behind looked off too.

Posted By: Xavier
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 10:39am
Goes around in Adelaide today

-------------
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 1:54pm
Strange stable change.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: Foxseal
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 5:23pm
2nd start for Matt Laurie this weekend.

1100m maiden at St Arnaud.

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 5:30pm
About time they stepped her out in trip,

Oaks filly. 

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 5:31pm
Utzon (owned by Yu Long Investments) transferred from Maher/Eustace to Matt Laurie.

White sibling Grand Bernini (owned by China Horse Club) transferred from Maher/Eustace to Gwenda Markwell.

Conspiracy theories anyone?  Tongue

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 5:47pm
Moved on by Maher because they aren’t city class would be my guess.

Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 6:09pm
Aw drat, you're no fun Shawy.  Cry Wink

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 4:03pm
Won by 9 at Bairnsdale today

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net