Print Page | Close Window

WORLD CUP 2018

Printed From: Thoroughbred Village
Category: All Sports - Public Forums
Forum Name: Joffs All Sports Bar
Forum Description: Visit the famous All Sports Forum to chat with friends about any sporting topic
URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=62345
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 6:05am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: WORLD CUP 2018
Posted By: AndiCap
Subject: WORLD CUP 2018
Date Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:51pm
BRAZIL for mine.

Replies:
Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:56pm
You're nuts Andi.  

Posted By: Carioca
Date Posted: 23 May 2018 at 9:03pm
Belgium, to finish top 4 is my prediction fwiw.

Posted By: VOYAGER
Date Posted: 23 May 2018 at 11:36pm
I want peoples idea of how Australia will go?

Obviously France is a game where we just need to try and limit the damage, Denmark is a game we can draw if we play to our best and Peru's high world ranking has been enhanced by their home record, in Russia they will be doing it tough to score a goal.

With that obviously Denmark is the main match for us to target.

-------------
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise

Date Posted: 25 May 2018 at 11:02pm
Okay.

Winner : France

Final : France v Germany

Semis : Spain v Germany & France v Brazil

Best Longshot : Croatia

-------------
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise

Date Posted: 25 May 2018 at 11:05pm
Hey voyager, I will have a look at who's who in each group and put a few of mine in fwiw
bit of fun, I enjoy the game.

Date Posted: 26 May 2018 at 12:37am
Do not jump off Belgium for the semis Carioca. I have them meeting Brazil in the quarters and if there golden generation pull their finger out and do their best they are capable of the upset.

My query is if they get injuries. If they have their best 10 on the field in that quarter final they can beat a mentally vulnerable Brazil.

-------------

Posted By: Brudder_A
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 4:06am
Nice little tune up by our lads.

4-0 over the Czechs is Austria today is a great morale booster!

Posted By: mowie
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 4:54am
if we win a match in the world cup i'd be stunned, worst aussie team we have taken,

plonk coin on Denmark at 5 bucks to get out of the group stage an Colombia

-------------
chris Armstrong waller, *drugs are bad mkay

Posted By: Tlazolteotl
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 9:38am
Why are Australians so rubbish at soccer? Practically every fly-blown dump of a country in the world produces far better soccer players than we do.

Posted By: oneonesit
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Why are Australians so rubbish at soccer? Practically every fly-blown dump of a country in the world produces far better soccer players than we do.
Obvious - we are a small population to start with. Then most of the real talent goes to much better games like AFL, NRL & Rugby. Only the left over no talent sissy boys end up playing soccer !

-------------
Refer ALP Election Promises

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Obvious - we are a small population to start with. Then most of the real talent goes to much better games like AFL, NRL & Rugby. Only the left over no talent sissy boys end up playing soccer !
Imagine how good it would be to have David Fifita, Nic Naitanui or Tom Robertson available for Socceroo selection ! 

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 12:20pm

Imagine how good it would be to have David Fifita, Nic Naitanui or Tom Robertson available for Socceroo selection ! 
& we could send big Sam Kasiano back to Canterbury for a season or 2 & then put him as goalie.  Brilliant !

-------------

Posted By: mowie
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 12:20pm

world game.. cost little to play soccer anywhere in the world, we are just a pimple on it, our best player only got into the top league in the world (epl) by playing in a bottom team an winning a promotion.

a league is so far down in the eyes of over seas scouts its hard to get talent into good teams over seas making our soccer roos perform,   the women on the other hand are world bests Big smile

-------------
chris Armstrong waller, *drugs are bad mkay

Posted By: ThreeBears
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 2:44am
Poor folks can get easy access to soccer and have strong motivation to succeed. Other countries have less sports competing for attention.

Spoilt Oz brats and talented sports kids rarely play the game here. It's up to the talent pool from helicopter mums, "gentle"  dads and immigrants to make up Oz numbers.

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 10:56am
Now for my serious thoughts. I think soccer is by far the most skilful of all the football codes. For me, that still doesn't make it a great game to watch. Find it too frustrating - & the low scoring nature of the game often results in dodgy outcomes. I would like to see bigger goals so that the team who has more shots is more likely to win. I think AFL is the fairest code for the same reason. Yes I know, not going too happen - why change the most popular code in the world !
Re Australia's soccer players - I think a few on here are being a touch harsh. We have done remarkably well "considering" over the past decade or two. The talent pool is low in numbers compared to most.

-------------

Posted By: Mr Prospector
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 1:33pm
As a soccer nation we don't instil the close control foot skills needed to succeed at the top level as a senior player . One of our most skilful players , Tom Rogic came from a futsal background and at an older age . 

1. France 
2. Germany 

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 2:31pm
Love the game but only watch the top shelf, will be watching a lot of WC games so some late nights ahead, it's not everyone's cup of tea and that will never change, that's life.

Posted By: Redemption
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 5:12pm
Germany will win

WE can win a game if we attack relentlessly.
We arent rubbish at soccer anymore

Were 20 years ago, but when they stopped chipping it around and started attacking, became a better team
Also got wogs in the side. It was once just anglos.

Greece has been shocking at the world cup. so thats the wog theory out the door as a contradiction.

Anything can happen, its that kind of sport

its the only time I watch soccer.
Its the elite of the elite, all playing at the same time

Aussies love being the underdogs anyway, so surprise wins are on the cards

also wont be shocked if Germany hammers everyone.

brazil is the usual danger. they eat footballs for breakfast and probably sleep with footballs.

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 5:38pm
Now that's just offensive garbage. I'm sure you know that and are just seeking attention. Thumbs Down

Posted By: JudgeHolden
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Love the game but only watch the top shelf, will be watching a lot of WC games so some late nights ahead, it's not everyone's cup of tea and that will never change, that's life.

Too many teams, so an awful lot of filler. Fact is these days the top Euro clubs have stronger teams than even the better international sides. Not really the pinnacle of the sport anymore, imo.

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 9:01pm
The Champions League is higher quality football than the World Cup.

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 9:07pm
I only bother to watch overseas sport these days if is at a congenial time here. Russia- haven't checked but I guess that will mean horrendous time of day for most games.

Posted By: saintly96
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 9:28pm

Now for my serious thoughts. I think soccer is by far the most skilful of all the football codes. For me, that still doesn't make it a great game to watch. Find it too frustrating - & the low scoring nature of the game often results in dodgy outcomes. I would like to see bigger goals so that the team who has more shots is more likely to win. I think AFL is the fairest code for the same reason. Yes I know, not going too happen - why change the most popular code in the world !
Re Australia's soccer players - I think a few on here are being a touch harsh. We have done remarkably well "considering" over the past decade or two. The talent pool is low in numbers compared to most.

I love it because the best team doesn't always win.

An inferior team that has less possession and less shots on goal, can win if they take their chances. This is the beauty of the World Game. One moment of brilliance, or one moment of madness can be all the difference.

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 9:50pm
Must agree with you there saintly, one moment of brilliance, Gareth Bale, and that scissor kick.

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 8:11pm
Russia too good for the Saudi's to night,....well they better be or them soldiers will let them dogs loose , anyone see em, scary lot they are.

Posted By: Passing Through
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 8:17pm

Russia too good for the Saudi's to night,....well they better be or them soldiers will let them dogs loose , anyone see em, scary lot they are.

I backed Russia with Crownbet. They have a special where:

• Place a bet on any World Cup Group Stage match. Single match markets only.
  • Receive a $90 Bonus Bet for each Group Stage match the Socceroos win.
  • Minimum Bet $1.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

<ul dir="ltr" style="-sizing: border-; margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 10px; color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Roboto, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;"><li id="docs-internal-guid-c89b2f4b-b83c-6d1a-d8e7-9c63f02e26cb" style="-sizing: border-; line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;"><span id="docs-internal-guid-7c0cdc42-d8d7-bb2b-f92d-90a16659e01a" style="-sizing: border-; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial; color: rgb0, 0, 0; : transparent; font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; vertical-align: line; white-space: pre-wrap;">Place a bet on any World Cup Group Stage match. Single match markets only.</span><li style="-sizing: border-; line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;">[COLOR=#000000" face="Arial" style="-sizing: border-;]<span style="-sizing: border-; font-size: 14.6667px; white-space: pre-wrap;]Receive a $</span>[/COLOR]<span style="-sizing: border-; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Arial; font-size: 14.6667px;">90 </span>[COLOR=#000000" face="Arial" style="-sizing: border-;]<span style="-sizing: border-; font-size: 14.6667px; white-space: pre-wrap;]Bonus Bet for each Group Stage match the Socceroos win.</span>[/COLOR]<li style="-sizing: border-; line-height: 1.38; margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt;">[COLOR=#000000" face="Arial" style="-sizing: border-;]<span style="-sizing: border-; font-size: 14.6667px; white-space: pre-wrap;]Minimum Bet $1.</span>[/COLOR]

You won't have any problems, GL.

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 9:05pm
The highlight of tonight will be seeing if FIFA or Putin are running tonight's show.

Sepp Blatter is banned from all matches, yet Putin wants him as his special guest in his box tonight.

Will he be allowed in?

I think Vlad will have the final say.

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 9:06pm
Drew Portugal in one sweep, another sweep to be finalised tonight.

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by saintly96 saintly96 wrote:

The highlight of tonight will be seeing if FIFA or Putin are running tonight's show.

Sepp Blatter is banned from all matches, yet Putin wants him as his special guest in his box tonight.

Will he be allowed in?

I think Vlad will have the final say.

Kim Jong-un was also invited by Putin, but as he has a state visit there next month he sent Kim Yong Nam instead. 

Senior North Korean official Kim Yong Nam headed to Russia on Tuesday to attend the opening ceremony of the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Moscow, North Korean state media reported.

Kim is the president of the Presidium of the Supreme People’s Assembly, regularly meeting with foreign visitors to the DPRK and traveling abroad on goodwill missions on behalf of the country’s leadership.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 9:30pm
Is Brazil's defence better than last time? Is that joker with the Afro still in their team? He's funny. I laughed my arse off watching him playing Germany.

Posted By: ExceedAndExcel
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

• Place a bet on any World Cup Group Stage match. Single match markets only.
  • Receive a $90 Bonus Bet for each Group Stage match the Socceroos win.
  • Minimum Bet $1.

Hope you didn’t bet any more than the min $1. This promo is worth a few risk free $$ although I note the promo you received was for a $90 bonus bet. Others received $100. Send me a PM if you want to know why and how you can manipulate the promos you receive.

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 9:36pm
France for me. Have had a small bet on them though so that probably rules them out.

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 9:37pm
I was listening to BBC radio early one morning last week and they had a World Cup special on. Their ''expert'' tipped Brazil as specials to win the tournament.

-------------

Posted By: MJB
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 9:43pm

Is Brazil's defence better than last time? Is that joker with the Afro still in their team? He's funny. I laughed my arse off watching him playing Germany.

David Luiz. He's not in Brazil's squad.

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by MJB MJB wrote:

Argentinian, pretty sure.

Posted By: RED HUNTER
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 11:13pm
How do you get to see all these matches live?

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 12:00am
Originally posted by RED HUNTER RED HUNTER wrote:

SBS are showing the Russia game Red, then try and find a TV guide , best I can do.

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 10:52am
For those with access to UBET retail outlets they have a nice inflated odds promo this afternoon at 4pm.

Australia to score against France @$4
Normal price is around $2. Didn’t catch all the details but would assume $25 max bet. They mentioned using Tappy (use your mobile device to generate a betting slip with bar code which you scan) but not sure if you can also place it as normal on the self serve terminals. In any event, get as much on as you possibly can and then back Australia NOT to score with other books. Currently around $1.70 so a decent profit to be had here.

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

For those with access to UBET retail outlets they have a nice inflated odds promo this afternoon at 4pm.

Normal price is around $2. Didn’t catch all the details but would assume $25 max bet. They mentioned using Tappy (use your mobile device to generate a betting slip with bar code which you scan) but not sure if you can also place it as normal on the self serve terminals. In any event, get as much on as you possibly can and then back Australia NOT to score with other books. Currently around $1.70 so a decent profit to be had here.

These self serve terminals you speak of, are they in the same mould as the easy bet terminals (ebt's) in VIC/NSW?

I haven't been up to Queensland for a while but l'm pretty sure the last time l was up there they didn't have the same betting machines as VIC/NSW. They seemed to be a bit backwards up there. But these new UBET outlets sound promising.

If they've upgraded to the ebt's l'm accustomed to, you can make quite a bit of money on the above arbitrage. They might say max bet is $25 but on those ebt machines you can pump out as many tickets as you like.

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 1:03pm

These self serve terminals you speak of, are they in the same mould as the easy bet terminals (ebt's) in VIC/NSW?

I haven't been up to Queensland for a while but l'm pretty sure the last time l was up there they didn't have the same betting machines as VIC/NSW. They seemed to be a bit backwards up there. But these new UBET outlets sound promising.

If they've upgraded to the ebt's l'm accustomed to, you can make quite a bit of money on the above arbitrage. They might say max bet is $25 but on those ebt machines you can pump out as many tickets as you like.

Yes they are a similar set up. Very easy to use. Designed similar to their app. They are relatively recent up here. Have been rolled out across their retail network over the last perhaps 18 months or so.

Yes you can pump out multiple tickets very quickly on these machines. They do take some countermeasures for example if a venue sees an unusually large volume of promo bets compared to their normal number of customers they have the ability to shut down the promo at a venue level. I experienced this when they gave $2 for Winx to win the Cox Plate last year the day before the race. The countermeasures are largely ineffective though as there are ways around them. I have always got on what I wanted to without any/many issues.

This particular promo is worth approx $16 per $25 you get down.

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 1:05pm

Yes they are a similar set up. Very easy to use. Designed similar to their app. They are relatively recent up here. Have been rolled out across their retail network over the last perhaps 18 months or so.

Yes you can pump out multiple tickets very quickly on these machines. They do take some countermeasures for example if a venue sees an unusually large volume of promo bets compared to their normal number of customers they have the ability to shut down the promo at a venue level. I experienced this when they gave $2 for Winx to win the Cox Plate last year the day before the race. The countermeasures are largely ineffective though as there are ways around them. I have always got on what I wanted to without any/many issues.

One point to note here regarding the use of Tappy. I’m unsure if this feature incorporates any measures to limit you to 1 ticket per device - eg whether the barcode generated contains info on the identity of the device. Will find out this afternoon. Hopefully the promo can be used straight off the terminals.

Posted By: Mr Prospector
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by RED HUNTER RED HUNTER wrote:

Otus Sports package at about $15/ month and all the world cup matches are shown live . If you want to steam to your TV you need an optus set top box definately , but I believe you can use an app for your tablet or phone . 
SBS who had the rights originally ,sold them to optus and have the right to show the match of the day only (1 a day). 

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 2:09pm
Cricfree, Crichd, Zorrostream, Batmanstream, Sportslemons. 

Have your VPN and AdBlock Plus on though and still be ready to quickly x out popups. 

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 2:30pm

Ta for that info. Let us know how you get on later today. I might have to start making trips up north.

So with these betting machines, do you insert money (notes) into them? And do they give you your bet in a form of a little bet ticket with a barcode? And if that's the case, do they disburse vouchers? (when there's any remaining credit in the machine.)

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 2:36pm

Ta for that info. Let us know how you get on later today. I might have to start making trips up north.

So with these betting machines, do you insert money (notes) into them? And do they give you your bet in a form of a little bet ticket with a barcode? And if that's the case, do they disburse vouchers? (when there's any remaining credit in the machine.)

No worries. Will advise later. I was in an agency an hour ago and it is definitely only using Tappy. I have a couple of ideas to try if I can’t get on more than one ticket but will see what happens.

They take cash or credit vouchers (scan the barcode with those).
Bets are issued on tickets with a bar code.
Yes they give a credit voucher with a bar code for any remaining credit. Just go scan it at the main windows to get the cash.

These promos are available in SA & NT as well FWIW.

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 6:58pm

Sideshow Bob definitely plays for Brazil.

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 7:05pm

Image result for david luiz brazil

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 7:28pm

Sideshow Bob definitely plays for Brazil.

Correct weight.

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 7:39pm
Sideshow must have played well last season cos he was in the team that won the league easily- I never watch- but on checking now I see that he's back to form and his manager won't play him. Arsenal want him.

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 7:41pm

Sideshow must have played well last season cos he was in the team that won the league easily- I never watch- but on checking now I see that he's back to form and his manager won't play him. Arsenal want him.

I mean season 2016/17 must have played well.

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 7:57pm

I mean season 2016/17 must have played well.

Bit of a " pretty boy" and a bit of a lair but always seems to hold his spot , Chelsea is his team and it's owned by a Putin enemy oligarch who is always changing coaches when it suits, wouldn't be surprised if flag winning coach from /17 is turfed out , maybe " pretty boy" will need new home, Arsonal new coach as well, might have a spot, I originally thought you were talking about Carlos Tevez fwiw.

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 8:08pm
The Oligarch owner Roman Abramovich may not be the owner for much longer.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 9:20pm
Are you suggesting another case of the doc's "indigestion .

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 9:25pm
A result of the ''indigestion'' to a couple of Russian exiles in recent months. 

He was having his visa revoked in Britain and this week was granted Israeli citizenship, so he will likely be forced to sell of Chelsea, or risk asset seizures.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 9:25pm
*off

Sorry 3B 

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 9:39pm
Uraguay to beat Egypt all up Morocco to do a number on Iran, luvly jubly.

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 10:27pm

No worries. Will advise later. I was in an agency an hour ago and it is definitely only using Tappy. I have a couple of ideas to try if I can’t get on more than one ticket but will see what happens.

Yes they give a credit voucher with a bar code for any remaining credit. Just go scan it at the main windows to get the cash.

Their systems can detect when a particular device has used the offer so only 1 ticket on today. VPN doesn’t help (maybe a better one might fool the app?), either does deleting the app or changing Apple ID. Will have to use multiple devices for the next offer prior to Australia’s 2nd match.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 3:43pm

Their systems can detect when a particular device has used the offer so only 1 ticket on today. VPN doesn’t help (maybe a better one might fool the app?), either does deleting the app or changing Apple ID. Will have to use multiple devices for the next offer prior to Australia’s 2nd match.

Have found a way around this problem will share via PM if anyone is interested. Currently have $175 down @$4 with more to come later on. Total profit $120. Easy.

Posted By: AndiCap
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 8:40pm

Posted By: Tontonan
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 9:25pm
OPENING CEREMONY ....  Short and to the point, just the way I like it.
ROBBIE WILLIAMS ...  Jumped up little flog, but we already knew that.
AIDA GARIFULLINA .... Gorgeous, voice of an angel.
VLADMIR PUTIN ... War criminal but kept it short and to the point. Kudos.
SAUDI ARABIA ... Pathetic light weight fluff.
RUSSIA ... solid but 5-0 was more a reflection of how weak the Saudis were.
SPAIN v PORTUGAL ... one of the finest World Cup matches I have ever seen.
SPAIN .... Fabulous effort to come from behind to take the lead, let down by their goal keeper. 
PORTUGAL ...obviously Ronaldo dependent but stuck to their guns and held the line against top class opposition
RONALDO ... A privileged to watch this man play.  Sublime skill.  Indomitable will.  
MARTIN TYLER ... one of the greatest sports commentators in my lifetime
LUCY ... Beautiful and sensible.  How did that happen ?  Les would be proud.
FOSTER ... SBS seems to have worked out how to measure Craig.  A little goes a long way, too much can be a turn off, but so far :thumbup:
OPTUS ... f**king hopeless

Good Luck 'roos.  Give it your best shot.  That's all we ever want.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 10:04pm
Good summery Tontonan , lets hope the "Roos"can give us a little joy, even a glimmer lol.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 10:34pm
Going pretty well after half an hour carioca. They aren't intimidated by the French.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 11:12pm
Seem to be PT, I think the French are playing a few newbies, some strength on their bench , confidence is what we need but we're doing well.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 11:15pm
W T F.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 11:20pm
All square.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 12:03am
Was lol, done well and earnt respect, that bloke who scored the last pogba, MU let him go on a free transfer, then 5years on buy him back for $180mill. go figure lol.

Posted By: maccamax
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 12:28am

Was lol, done well and earnt respect, that bloke who scored the last pogba, MU let him go on a free transfer, then 5years on buy him back for $180mill. go figure lol.

I think the French were having a lend of us .

Showing respect for our WW services but classes above at Soccer.

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 12:46am
France is a very good football nation and they are better than us but such is the nature of football that a less talented team can deny better teams victory through strong application and discipline... but to win these kind of matches we need goals and we just lack the means of scoring them.  Our chance came from a penalty, a blatant hand ball, and if it didn't then it was hard to see how we were going to score.  

On the other hand France opened with an array of shots on goal that Matt Ryan neutralized.  The natural order of things would see France win 3-0.  Australia has done very well to go down 1-2 and only because of a debatable penalty.  

The whole VAR system is problematic when it comes to these sort of calls which aren't cut and dried regardless of how many angles you have.  All bias aside I don't think there was enough evidence in any of the replays to rule that the ref had made a blatant error by not blowing his whistle.  That is what these video assist systems should be used for - Identifying the blatant error.

If we couldn't take a point from this match we had to keep the goal difference to a minimum because it could be critical who goes through especially if the French beat up on Peru and Denmark.

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 2:01am
LUCY ... Beautiful and sensible
LOL. Is she the one the doesn't know the difference between Fallible and Infallible?

After the game comment "France is infallible"

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 2:03pm
When I was a champion defender in the under 10sClap, I was told not to attempt a tackle from the side when in the penalty area unless you were sure you could hit the ball first.

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 2:07pm
God it was boring. How boring? So boring I was often switching over to the rugby union for a bit of excitement.Tongue

But since that's the only game that's going to be played at a reasonable hour, that's the last of the WC for me. Unless I've made a mistake on the times.

Posted By: Dr E
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 3:36am
If Mexico happens to pull this off, surely they will thank Trump!

-------------
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 5:17am
Wow! ... and if it were not for the Donald, they wouldn't have been able to even field a side ... half of that team would have been illegals living in California, MS-13 members, taking jobs from honest Italian Americans ... the Mexican Football Federation should start building that wall themselves ... before the 2026 World Cup!

You gotta hand it to the Great Man, he's done it again ... "It will be a Great World Cup!".

I worked hard on this - Trump on 2026 World Cup bid

President Donald Trump says he worked hard on the effort to bring the 2026 FIFA World Cup to North America and thanked Robert Kraft, owner of the NFL's New England Patriots and Major League Soccer's New England Revolution.
Trump signed letters to FIFA president Gianni Infantino expressing confidence that FIFA World Cup delegations and fans would be welcomed for the tournament. Although of no legal force, the letters were used in lobbying by the U.S. Soccer Federation as the North American bid competed against Morocco's. The North American bid won 134-65 in voting by FIFA members in Moscow on Wednesday.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump" rel="nofollow">
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump" rel="nofollow -
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1007580091692568576" rel="nofollow -

Thank you for all of the compliments on getting the World Cup to come to the U.S.A., Mexico and Canada. I worked hard on this, along with a Great Team of talented people. We never fail, and it will be a great World Cup! A special thanks to Bob Kraft for excellent advice.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/i-worked-hard-on-this-trump-on-2026-world-cup-bid

-------------
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 11:55am
Vomit!

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 12:16pm
You'd have to be a genius to beat a Morocco bid.Clap

Good to see hardly anybody interested in bidding for WC.

Posted By: maccamax
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 12:23pm

Vomit!

I felt sick too Croca ...    Soccer does that to so many.

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 8:33pm
SBS is covering ALL World Cup matches starting tonight. 

Wow.  Optus must have fallen in a hole they can't get out of.  

It is not yet clear whether this is a stop gap measure until Optus gets their act together or whether Optus has surrendered, but SBS and the FTA viewers are the winners.

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 8:36pm
Here we go...

World Cup: SBS to air all games for next 48 

hours after Optus streaming issues

By political reporter  http://www.abc.net.au/news/dan-conifer/5189074" rel="nofollow - Dan Conifer

Updated 11 minutes ago

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-18/screenshot-of-optus-sport-playback-error/9882512" rel="nofollow">Screenshot of Optus Sport playback error http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-18/screenshot-of-optus-sport-playback-error/9882512" rel="nofollow - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-17/optus-ceo-apologises-for-world-cup-problems-crashes-persist/9878936" rel="nofollow - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-15/optus-football-fans-raging-world-cup-streaming-fails-to-deliver/9876426" rel="nofollow - SBS has announced it will air all FIFA World Cup games for the next 48 hours after discussions with Optus about issues with its streaming service.

Key points:

• Malcolm Turnbull phoned Optus' chief executive about the company's World Cup live streaming problems
  • Fans have been unable to watch live matches on the Optus Sport website and apps
  • There are calls for the telco to give refunds

The SBS move comes after Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull intervened in the streaming fiasco amid growing fury from fans.

Optus Sport holds the exclusive rights for most World Cup matches but has struggled to broadcast games on its website and mobile applications..

Mr Turnbull spoke to the telco's chief executive Allen Lew this afternoon, and for the second straight day, Mr Lew flagged a quick technical fix.

"He assures me he is giving the World Cup streaming problems his personal attention and he believes it will be fixed this evening," Mr Turnbull said.

"He obviously acknowledges they've had some real problems with streaming from the Optus platform.

"He believes he can fix it, believes it will be fixed tonight, and obviously Australian soccer fans will be expecting Optus to deliver in that regard."

Many  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-17/optus-ceo-apologises-for-world-cup-problems-crashes-persist/9878936" rel="nofollow - Optus Sport subscribers have been unable to watch live games amid connection issues , dropouts and other faults during the tournament's opening days.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-18/mile-jedinak-converts-australias-penalty-against-france/9883366" rel="nofollow">Mile Jedinak converts Australias penalty against France http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-18/mile-jedinak-converts-australias-penalty-against-france/9883366" rel="nofollow -

Free-to-air network SBS has only been televising selected matches, but has the rights to all Socceroos games, semi-finals and the final.

Former Socceroo Robbie Slater said the Government should intervene to ensure all matches were shown on SBS.

https://twitter.com/RobbieSlater17" rel="nofollow">
https://twitter.com/RobbieSlater17" rel="nofollow -
https://twitter.com/RobbieSlater17/status/1008335909501014016" rel="nofollow -

Time for https://twitter.com/TurnbullMalcolm" rel="nofollow - - @ - TurnbullMalcolm and everyone else involved to fix this unacceptable non coverage of the https://twitter.com/FIFAWorldCup" rel="nofollow - - @ - FIFAWorldCup ! Shameful

https://twitter.com/RobbieSlater17/status/1008335909501014016" rel="nofollow - 11:09 PM - Jun 17, 2018
  • https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1008335909501014016" rel="nofollow -

Fellow former Socceroo Paul Wade said "we are so mad as a football community", agreeing the World Cup needed to be broadcast on free-to-air.

Federal Labor's Steve Georganas said he had been "inundated" with complaints and called for Optus to "immediately refund customers for a service that hasn't worked as advertised".

"It's time to treat the world game, the football community, with respect," the Adelaide-based MP told the Lower House.

Fifield says it's Optus's issue to fix

Earlier today, Communications Minister Mitch Fifield was careful to avoid criticising Optus.

"It's for Optus to talk to their platform and how they will fix that," Senator Fifield said.

"The onus is absolutely on Optus to deliver to consumers — to their customers — that which they've undertaken to deliver."

Optus charges $15 a month for subscriptions to the service.

In a statement this, an Optus spokesman said work was underway "around the clock" to fix the problems.

"Regrettably Optus experienced technical issues during the Costa Rica v Serbia match of the FIFA World Cup on Sunday night which affected some customers," he said.

"Fortunately, we were able to improve the viewing experience for customers for the subsequent Germany v Mexico and Brazil v Switzerland games.

"We know that the majority of customers are having a good broadcast experience during the World Cup."

Three games will be played on Monday night and Tuesday morning (AEST), including a clash between Sweden and South Korea at 10pm which will not be shown on SBS.

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 8:37pm
Just for 48 hours while Optus try to fix their buffering issues.

-------------

Posted By: djebel
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 8:42pm

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

It would appear the The Tax Office has 14Eu million reasons to celebrate also.  Tongue

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 9:10pm
If you are subscribing to Optus is this coming through your TV or your phone or computer ?

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 9:10pm
I can not see any access to TV or PC on that page above ?

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 9:15pm
Has been announced by Lucie on SBS 4-30pm and Fox News tonight , All 3 games on SBS.

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 9:44pm
Love the way this is playing out. Embarrassing for the Liberal Party and their supporters. Fancy a private sector company calling on a Public broadcaster to save their bacon.

Coalition supporters and Privatisation aficionados are a disgrace. 

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 10:08pm
Might be that little NK dumpling , thrown a curve ball into the works.

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 10:16pm

Love the way this is playing out. Embarrassing for the Liberal Party and their supporters. Fancy a private sector company calling on a Public broadcaster to save their bacon.

it's just soccer Ermm 

... a billion bucks a year so some wogs can watch overpaid prima donnas roll around on the ground for 5 or 6 hours once every 4 years? 

= Shortenomics!Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 10:17pm
... a disgrace.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 11:41pm
Belgium has what appears an easy entry into the group stage playing Panama to night, 5/1 on about right , Kevin de Bruyne Belgium flanker is a brilliant footballer and is my roughie for the golden boot 175/1 , Ronaldo may have stolen a march on them though, hope I can stay up to watch this bloke but I don't like my chances lol.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 1:16am
I was thinking the same thing djebel.

Imagine the leftist, biased, and out of date , tax payer funded, SBS being asked by a Liberal, conservative, Prime Minister to bail out a privately run company.

The SBS channel should of had the rights to begin with, but some penny pinching ar%$hole, who conspired to give the rorting, bribing FIFA organisation $43 million, for one vote in a selection of host nation for 2022's cup, would not ante up and pay for the rights of one of the most popular sporting events in the world.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 1:50am
Some penny pinching whatever you said did the same thing to every other major sporting contest a while ago. But of course this should be the exception.

Good grief you lot whinge and present one sided garbage about modern day realities that no political party has stopped from happening.

Cry Confused

Pass them some tissues Doc but drop the W word.

Posted By: Brudder_A
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 9:35am
Why does the Pommy Team remind me of Spurs??????

H A R R Y      K A N E   ! ! !

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 11:24am

On that theme, Media Watch was interesting last night. At the time it was being sold "You are idiots for opposing the privatisation of a public asset- it's good for everyone." This week. "Shock horror- greedy rich bastards making mega profits at your expense from their privatised asset." On the front page. No apologies.

Privatise a state owned monopoly and prices go up- who could have predicted that? You'd have to be Nostradamus.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 12:22pm
England should have scored 6 or 7 Brudder while Tunisia's penalty goal was a much bigger joke than the decision against Oz. Pathetic effort from the ref.

This young England team look their best for a long time.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 12:36pm
I am not sure about anyone else 3b, but I am not sure what you are on about.

Since Abbott was prime minister the public broadcasters have had their budgets cut by at least 20%.That is a reality, not a bias whinge.

In 2014, the government could not do anything about the contract for the world cup, so they had to honor the agreement that SBS had signed with FIFA.

Now that the Liberal party have cut the budget for the ABC and SBS, this is the first time in over 30 years, that SBS have been outbid, by another local broadcaster for the exclusive broadcast rights.

It is not my fault that the government who have cut the budget, is formed by the Liberal party, that is just the way it has turned out, and I would be saying the same about the Labor side, to if they were responsible.

Also I am not whinging and whining. I am making an observation, that governments think they can just privatise something and it fixes all the problems, ven when there was no problem to fix.

In Goulburn at the moment, a developer is making a presentation to the council, to construct a private jail. If you want to see how privatisation goes when a government service is handed to private contractors, then look at a documentary about how private prison contractors in the USA, only care about making a profit and they only make a profit when the cells are full.

Privatisation is a rort, which is not only done in Russia to fill Vlad's pockets, the west has a pretty good record at lining politicians pockets, by providing jobs in the privatised sector, or on company boards, if they supply the service to a private company.

There are some things which need to be privatised, and some which need to be managed by the government.

If your electricity bill has risen over the last five years, then that is a direct consequence of privatisation!       

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 3:22pm

On that theme, Media Watch was interesting last night. At the time it was being sold "You are idiots for opposing the privatisation of a public asset- it's good for everyone." This week. "Shock horror- greedy rich bastards making mega profits at your expense from their privatised asset." On the front page. No apologies.

Privatise a state owned monopoly and prices go up- who could have predicted that? You'd have to be Nostradamus.

When it comes to privatisation, there is no correct answer Tlaz.

Privatise, and the "greedy corporates" will steal all the profits - WHY ELSE WOULD THEY BUTY THE BUSINESS??? ... they WILL of course provide; jobs and dividends to shareholders (like CBA does to EVERYONE's Super), taxation benefits to the citizens (people need to stop lying about corporates not paying tax - they ALL pay some type of indirect tax, via duties, GST, payroll tax, excises, etc, etc, before income tax is even calculated, but no self respecting left wing journalist would ever mention THAT!)

or

Leave it to be run by hopeless, hapless, disinterested, wasteful, unproductive bureaucrats and public servants who will just spend ALL of our money, changing logos and letterheads, to ensure that the budget is spent, and not cut next year, and to fill in the time when they are not busily engaged taking their turn to look out the window at the harbor views, or simply absent altogether due to Domestic Abuse Stress Leave ... sucking the country dry like the majority of the 2 MILLION public servants, bureaucrats and politicians do now, and producing nothing of value. 

Take your pick!Dead

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 3:30pm
... and what is the real difference between a Public Service, run uneconomically by overpaid, over staffed parasites (who then "outsource" everything anyway!) that costs taxpayers cumulatively hundreds of billions a year, and Greedy Corporations who minimise their tax?

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 3:39pm
... and when I speak of public servants, I don't mean the front line, essential service types, like police officers, nurses, ambos, etc, who are in many case underpaid, but the parasites who occupy massively over staffed administrative departments in all levels of public service and government ... we all know one or ten of those, my taxes pay the wages of a couple of them every year!Dead

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net