Print Page | Close Window

The Deplorables

Printed From: Thoroughbred Village
Category: All Sports - Public Forums
Forum Name: Joffs All Sports Bar
Forum Description: Visit the famous All Sports Forum to chat with friends about any sporting topic
URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=62010
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 3:29pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Deplorables
Posted By: djebel
Subject: The Deplorables
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 1:08am
In 1948 we had the invincibles. 70 years later Steve Smiths side are the disgraceful deplorables.

His and his teams reputation is in tatters.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Replies:
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 1:43am
Steve Smith claiming it is the first time they have ever done it.

Where the kiss have I heard that before ?

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: Passing Through
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 5:11am
Smith must resign along with the so called ''leadership group'' who came up with the plan. 

Smith's excuse that they were under pressure and frustrated by SA dominance of them, and cheated because of it is pathetic. 

Was Boof in on or know about this? If so, he must go also.

Massive cleanout coming if CA has any untampered with balls at all.

Very dark day for Australian cricket.

-------------

Posted By: TIGER
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 6:05am
Gives me more reason to turn off the TV when cricket is on

RIP Australian cricket

-------------
EAD

Posted By: mc41
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 6:17am
Absolute disgrace, no more cricket for me unless there are major resignations.   

PATHETIC

Posted By: marble
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 6:44am
very sad day in aussie cricket - about as bad as underarm bowling. This bunch of spoiled imitators need a huge wake up call

Posted By: JudgeHolden
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 6:56am
Lehmann and Smith will see this as an issue at the selection table. They need to pick players who you can’t see cheating.

Posted By: Nick
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 6:59am
Worse than bodyline.

Smith has to go!

Posted By: Nick
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 7:09am
Sorry worse than underarm gate I meant.

Still in shock

Posted By: Shrunk in the Wash
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 7:16am
South Africa captain Faf du Plessis was found guilty of ball tampering by the ICC for using mints to alter the condition of the ball, but was cleared to play the next match

Sachin Tendulkar was fined 75 per cent of his match fee and suspended for one Test after the match referee Mike Denness alleged that he had tampered the ball. While TV cameras showed Tendulkar working on the seam of the ball during a Test match

England captain Michael Atherton was fined 2,000 pounds after TV pictures appeared to show him putting his hand into his pocket and then applying an illegal substance to the ball.

Posted By: Redemption
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 7:17am
This isnt just the action of what is actually a talented team, trying to wrongfully gain advantage, this was the action of a team with money on the line.
There needs to be a thorough thorough investigation into Betting Activity around this Test match,

This was the action of a team with money on the line, willing to do anything desperate to make sure they could collect.

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 7:23am
It is being suggested this has been going on all series, that it was a series long plan, and Starc's wicket haul following a damaged ball swap in the first test is being looked at.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 7:29am
Sugggested by who?

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 7:36am
Media

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 7:40am
A question regarding Starc and the First Test was asked by a journalist in Smith's press conference. He rejected it. 

The suggestion was repeated on Channel NINE this morning

-------------

Posted By: RED HUNTER
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 8:23am
SICKENING

So blatant....if they going to cheat like that and not be caught, they needed DAVID COPPERFIELD on the team.

SO stupid...a camera always follows the ball these days

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 8:58am
Impressive press conference by Smith. His ability to admit fault, appear contrite, throw his mates under the bus and still claim to be the best option as captain must have the LNP scrambling to get him signed up if this cricket thing doesn't work out after today.

-------------

Posted By: acacia alba
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 9:11am
Worth every penny of that huge ammount they get paid , to carry on like school kids with no morals or sportsmanship.  Nuke

-------------
animals before people.

Posted By: Tlazolteotl
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 9:14am
I sincerely regret (that I was busted).Embarrassed

Smith can't remain as captain- Dave Warner from the suburbs must replace him.

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 9:16am
Warner is surely part of the leadership group Smith named. Nobody knows exactly who that entails, but surely if CA are fair dinkum none of them should play again this series and certainly none should captain.Smith said no coaches were involved. 

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 9:22am
Not to excuse Smith and Co but I think ball-tampering should be within the rules of Test cricket.Tongue If I was Grand Poobah of the ICC ball-tampering would be legal and talking to batters illegal, unless they wanted to chat.Hug

Posted By: maccamax
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 9:32am
THE END
          For Smith.

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 9:37am
Press conference at midday with CA

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 9:55am
It's funny seeing former players from the footy codes saying they don't cheatLOL- they cheat all game long in all the codes- it's a professional obligation.

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 11:32am
THIS is a tragedy

and 

I can't believe JAMES SUTHERLAND states he will not not be going to SA to investigate.

What's wrong with these people?

He baulked the PAY ISSUE,now this.

Why is he in charge?

THIS SPELLS doom for followers of the current AUST TEAM and they don't get it.

Currently,it looks like so many are involved...like more than 4,probably 5

Smith..stated BANCROFT just happened to be around when WE hatched up the plan 

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 11:38am
DARREN LEHMANN needs to come out NOW and tell it like it should be told

OTHERWISE

I deem him to be complicit

Watch the feed provided when D L goes for the walkie-talkie and sends H to "get to" BANCROFT,ASAP

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 11:43am
I think SUTHERLAND is trying to get as far away from the FIRE as possible

so what is told and then NOT ACCURATELY and perhaps falsely given SOON

will not come back and bite him in the bum

A TYPICAL TACTIC...I DID NOT KNOW at the time

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 12:00pm
The James Sutherland response to the PRESS

asked if he had spoken to SMITH....ans   NO

so many questions to be asked

and some GUY yells out,after 9 mins, TQ   TQ very much

James answers another question

and he calls it quits at the 10 min statement/interview mark

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 12:09pm
for those that want to know the consequences,right now

BANCROFT will get a level 2 charge and made to miss 1 TEST MATCH!!!!!!! Why would you not cheat and hope to get away with it,for such a sentence

BANCROFT is an AQUINAS boy,Confession awaits him.

the rules need to be changed.....with obvious EVIDENCE shown,BANCROFT should have banned from cricket for LIFE.

Then NOBODY WOULD TAMPER WITH A BALL.

( I appreciate the circumstance BANCROFT was thrown in..he was led to slaughter)

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 12:13pm
Bancroft should not be hung drawn and quartered for his part in this disgrace. On match and living with the disgrace is more than enough.

NO, the real punishment must be levelled at Lehman and Smith, They have thrown Bancroft under the bus.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 12:14pm
One match. Angry

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: Fiddlesticks
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 3:11pm
bahahahahahah what a bunch of losers, karma at it's finest, always knew there was something dodgy with this team, change Smiths nickname from smudge to grub..Dead

under arm bowling, Shane Warnes diuretic use and his 'weather maps' and now this..lol

bad sports and cheaters.. sack the lot of em.

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 3:15pm
f**king hell.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

One match. Angry
thats the usual for this offence - hopefully cricket australia have more to say

Posted By: AndiCap
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 3:44pm

Posted By: Dr E
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Impressive press conference by Smith. His ability to admit fault, appear contrite, throw his mates under the bus and still claim to be the best option as captain must have the LNP scrambling to get him signed up if this cricket thing doesn't work out after today.

Get it right CNNPT!

What he has done is unAustralian and cowardly ... smacks of the arrogant, elitism that emanates from The ALP/Greens Collusion! ... Victoria's Government, under "Captain" Andrews, blatantly steals money from the tax payers, gets caught, and thinks he and his team can just carry on representing their state, even though they cant put a win on the board ... what the fcuk? ... the culture of entitlement of course! Dead

The Penalty for the Aussie Cricketers?

In other sports, it's normally drugs used to gain an advantage, and a 2 year ban.

The whole team, coach and all involved in the team should cop 2 years - "Bangers just happened to be nearby" - bullgelati.

1 year for being so bad at cheating that you lose the test match anyway, and 1 year for being so dumb that you got caught!Embarrassed

-------------
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!

Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 4:39pm
The clear and deliberate irony in PT's post clearly eludes you Doc.  Wink

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

bahahahahahah what a bunch of losers, karma at it's finest, always knew there was something dodgy with this team, change Smiths nickname from smudge to grub..Dead

under arm bowling, Shane Warnes diuretic use and his 'weather maps' and now this..lol

bad sports and cheaters.. sack the lot of em.

If there was anything that was going to bring Fiddler back...LOL

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

The clear and deliberate irony in PT's post clearly eludes you Doc.  Wink

Not at all SC, I know exactly what he's saying, but it just fits so much better when you use the Victorian ALP/Greens Collusion for the analogy, and CNNPT knows it!Wink 

-------------
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 5:40pm
Turnbull's weighed in, calling for sackings.

"It's their responsibility to deal with it but I have to say that the whole nation, who holds those who wear the baggy green up on a pedestal - about as high as you can get in Australia, certainly higher than any politician, that's for sure - this is a shocking disappointment. It's wrong and I look forward to Cricket Australia taking decisive action soon.

This "Baggy Green" thing is, imo, part of the problem. Theses blokes have far too high an opinion of themselves, and what they actually do. Terrible commentator Ian Chappell and a very hard-nosed competitor, but I've found some of his comments on the Australian cricket team (in an interview I heard he called his sacred cap "a $5 piece of cloth", much to the astonishment of his interviewer) to be spot on. Doubt he or Marsh or Lillee ever wanted to be up on a pedestal.

Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 5:46pm
Even a total assh0le like Ian Chappell gets it right.

Might even start watching the Ch 9 coverage again.  But then again...Dead

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Even a total assh0le like Ian Chappell gets it right.

Might even start watching the Ch 9 coverage again.  But then again...Dead

Where does his reputation come from ?

He is 100% pro refugees and Human rights in general. I suspect whilst the 70s Australian side had a tough reputation the combatants of that era seem to get along real well.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 6:26pm
                      BREAKING NEWS

compliments of FOXSPORTS 500

James Sutherland has announced SS and DW have agreed to stand down as Capt and V Capt for the rest of this TEST SERIES

Tim Payne now acting Captain.

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 6:34pm

https://au.eurosport.com/cricket/tim-paine-to-step-in-as-acting-captain-for-the-remainder-of-the-ongoing-test-against-south-africa_sto6689652/story.shtml" rel="nofollow - TIM PAINE TO STEP IN AS ACTING CAPTAIN FOR THE REMAINDER ...

https://au.eurosport.com/cricket/tim-paine-to...acting-captain.../story.shtml
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=tim+paine+acting+captain&rlz=1C1CHBF_enAU756AU756&oq=tim+paine+acting+captain&aqs=chrome..69i57.10171j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#" rel="nofollow -
  1. https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:8CyUSH5wCn8J:https://au.eurosport.com/cricket/tim-paine-to-step-in-as-acting-captain-for-the-remainder-of-the-ongoing-test-against-south-africa_sto6689652/story.shtml+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au" rel="nofollow -
9 mins ago - TIM PAINE TO STEP IN AS ACTING CAPTAIN FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE ONGOING TEST AGAINST SOUTH AFRICA - CRICKET AUSTRALIA.

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by RED HUNTER RED HUNTER wrote:

BREAKING NEWS

compliments of FOXSPORTS 500

James Sutherland has announced SS and DW have agreed to stand down as Capt and V Capt for the rest of this TEST SERIES

Tim Payne now acting Captain.

Reserve for Tasmania to australian captain in one summer- he'll be pm by xmas at this rate.

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 7:14pm

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 10:36pm
The ICC has suspended Steve Smith for one Test match.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: maccamax
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 11:05pm
I think there is more in all the rubbish than ego's .
When we see Matches with 50 Million plus $ turnover and betting on such things as how many off the next ball ,   Temptation MUST be there for every advantage possible..     The almighty Dollar may be the big inducement.

The Senior players involved should be outed for 6 months

Posted By: Heavy10
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 12:06am
I think someone tampered with England's bats in NZ..come on fiddles.....

Bad look, feel for Bancroft a little, Smith and Warner...sack them, they can't comeback from this, forever known as cheats.

For something so shocking the punishment is so weak!

So what happens if Aussie's pull out a miracle win here? That would be a juicy story..

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 1:50am
0-57 all out for 107.

Now for the seious gelati

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: jujuno
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 6:51am
I have been a supporter and defender of both Smith and Warner in the past but I'm totally disgusted that not only have they thought this was acceptable and used a young bloke to carry out their dirty deed but imagined they would get away with it.   As far as I'm concerned I don't care if I never see them on the pitch again.    As for Boof...no-one will ever make me believe he had no knowledge of the action.     I'd rather lose ten test series than win by cheating. This will take an age to restore any possible integrity Australian cricket might have. They have ruined not only their own reputation but the future of those youngsters dreaming of playing in the baggy green.    And to compare it with previous ball tampering incidents is ridiculous. They are all cheats and comparisons don't justify wrongs.

-------------
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 6:57am
And of course the sponsors label has also been brought nto association.    I am gobsmacked that Smith was so dumb as to think anyone would want us to win by cheating. Cricket is not just a sport, it's a moral code.

-------------

Posted By: TIGER
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 7:22am
Life bans for Smith and Warner

They have disgraced the baggy green and shamed the nation

And to the people cheering on South Africa, captain Du Plessis is a cheating scumbag also

-------------
EAD

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 7:36am
Originally posted by TIGER TIGER wrote:

Life bans for Smith and Warner

They have disgraced the baggy green and shamed the nation

And to the people cheering on South Africa, captain Du Plessis is a cheating scumbag also
     Yes, SA can't sit on the moral high horse. They have perpetrated some garbage in the past.   But in a country like Australia where the Aussie cricket captain is revered above the PM this is as low as you can get. As someone stated this morning, in the Olympics they would be outed for life for cheating. About time sport in general pulled up its socks.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 7:36am
If the standard penalty for ball tampering is one match suspension it can't be considered very serious- legalise it.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 8:12am
From the way everyone is getting their panties twisted you would think that ball-tampering was a dreadful crime- treasonous- oh, dear, I'm shocked to the core. But in reality, it is going on all the time, Australians included, and the game regards it as a minor offence.

"Since the 1970s, ball-tampering has been cricket's version of what Queensland police used to call "The Joke": an open secret, a form of corruption so endemic that few of the players regard it as morally illegal. The sin is being caught."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/this-is-cricket-s-metoo-moment-a-rare-opportunity-for-complete-purge-20180325-p4z66c.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/this-is-cricket-s-metoo-moment-a-rare-opportunity-for-complete-purge-20180325-p4z66c.html

Posted By: saintly96
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 9:10am
Worst case of ball tampering since Bruce Jenner.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 9:13am
Smith will be banned for life.

I wouldnt ban Warner.
Not even for a match

I think he has been in a dark place since his mate Phil Hughes died

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Redemption Redemption wrote:

Smith will be banned for life.LOL

I wouldnt ban Warner.
Not even for a match

I think he has been in a dark place since his mate Phil Hughes died

hahaha- good one.LOL

Posted By: oneonesit
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 9:47am
Originally posted by saintly96 saintly96 wrote:

lol....good one centurion   

-------------
Refer ALP Election Promises

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 9:50am
Wish the cricketing lads would lift their game.....still has a way to go to match the great "Hopoate" affair

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 9:51am
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Wish the cricketing lads would lift their game.....still has a way to go to match the great "Hopoate" affair
How would Smith go "in the ring" do you reckon ?

-------------

Posted By: horseshoe
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 9:52am
Smith on his way home

-------------
Those who know don't tell, Those who tell don't know

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 10:04am
Australia needs to lift its game. I've been thinking about this. Skin coloured sandpaper carefully glued to a fielder's palm- could that work?Geek

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Australia needs to lift its game. I've been thinking about this. Skin coloured sandpaper carefully glued to a fielder's palm- could that work?Geek

More like the one Warner wore in the second Test?
Related image

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 10:16am
all out for 107...LOL..!!

No Smith and Rabada bowling the way he is, we could see some super low scores next test, Maybe Lyon can open the bowling and batting..LOL..!!

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 10:20am
58 All out? Must be a mistake.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 10:40am
Maybe a glove. Get Hollywood on it- it's amazing what they can do with movie prosthetics. A glove that looks identical to the hand but with a rough surface on the palm.Geek

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 12:12pm
I still cant get over the fact they were stupid enough to think they would get away with it !    All those cameras on them and the world watching. Clown Just as well they can bowl and bat---well sort of --- because they are too thick to do anything else. Cry Wonder how they will get by when they are forced to re-enter the real world the rest of us live in.  LOL
Wonder what the Hughes Family think right now. 

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 12:24pm
I need some help. Never really played the game & have not been a fan for many years now. So are the likes of Clarke & Gilchrist saying ball tampering was a real "no, no" back in their days ? How wide was/is  the practice. Have a mate who said he played cricket for years & always slapped on stacks of sun cream for 2 reasons - to stop getting burnt & to rub plenty onto the ball. Gilchrist carrying on like its the end of the world. So is it the act of ball tampering or more the involvement of the leadership group that is the real issue ? Or both ? 

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 12:39pm
The problem was not the ball tampering as such, an offense that brings a fine of up to a match payment and a game suspension, why this is different according to those who know stuff, is that it was a conspiracy to cheat hatched by 5 or 6 players with a plan to destroy the ball at a particular time of the innings to get the ball exchanged for another one to effect an outcome. The timing and state of the ball of a certain age changes the swing characteristics to one that is counter to it's normal movement at that stage.Smith said they were under pressure and secretly hatched the plan to deliberately cheat

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 2:16pm

trust you to think of that...LOLLOLLOLLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 2:41pm
wait till you see the video of Bancroft putting sugar granules into his pocket during the ashes series...LOL 

this is too funny.. chronic cheaters, couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of lollipops.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 2:46pm

wait till you see the video of Bancroft putting sugar granules into his pocket during the ashes series...LOL 

this is too funny.. chronic cheaters, couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of lollipops.

Oh - & welcome back Fiddler. We might now have a shot of getting this joint back in order !

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 4:26pm
It’s no different to any other sport.
Young blokes with no grounding thrown into leadership roles they don’t d serve.

Anyone with a ounce of nous has known that Warner is an idiot. Smith was too young to be captaining and young blokes like Bancroft are hoisted into the game without achieving anything of note

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

It’s no different to any other sport.
Young blokes with no grounding thrown into leadership roles they don’t d serve.

Anyone with a ounce of nous has known that Warner is an idiot. Smith was too young to be captaining and young blokes like Bancroft are hoisted into the game without achieving anything of note

Of course there’s no respect for the game

Posted By: AndiCap
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 5:26pm
Welcome back Fiddles!
Now forget the gloating and join me in finding some winners for this new Flat season!
Who knows, even the great cough cough Paz may join us with some speccies... it's been a long time since we actually had some fun in ere eh cor blimey dark in ere innit ...

Oh yeah..cricket..to stay on topic...great name 'The Deplorables'  ..sure better than saying Jack is Frankel's equal....sound the HORN macca...LOL

Posted By: stayer
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

I need some help. Never really played the game & have not been a fan for many years now. So are the likes of Clarke & Gilchrist saying ball tampering was a real "no, no" back in their days ? How wide was/is  the practice. Have a mate who said he played cricket for years & always slapped on stacks of sun cream for 2 reasons - to stop getting burnt & to rub plenty onto the ball. Gilchrist carrying on like its the end of the world. So is it the act of ball tampering or more the involvement of the leadership group that is the real issue ? Or both ? 

Everybody does it to some degree. The only big issue here is how stupidly arrogant and shameless they were in doing it, probably a result of the influence of senior blokes. There's a difference between a bit of scuffing or other dirty tactics to get an edge and this kind of thing. Ridiculous to scapegoat Smith or young players.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 7:51pm

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 7:53pm
From Smith's mate Moises

Why would you throw 5 other innocent blokes under a bus to cover up for one player?

-------------

Posted By: ThreeBears
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 7:56pm
I played cricket at grade level for many years. Never once came across anyone using sunscreen, zinc or anything else to tamper with a ball. I've seen virtually every international team get caught at it over the years though including the great Tendulkar. Must be a high grade thing.

I take it Fiddlesticks is a Pom from PeeTee's post. Do you forget your own teams history of ball tampering Fiddlesticks?

Sack the lot of these worthless stains on the word sport. Fancy giving lowlifes like South Africa something to crow about. Hansie Cronje will be laughing in his grave.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 11:33pm

From Smith's mate Moises

Why would you throw 5 other innocent blokes under a bus to cover up for one player?

Don't think Moises is the sharpest tool in the shed either.  

Smith may well be that dumb, but he would more likely throw 5 other blokes who are Teflon coated under the bus to cover up for the whole team and the coach and staff ... totally inconceivable that they were not all in on it ... they ARE a team.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 1:43am

You do realise Mike Atherton did the same as Bancroft, got fined but remained England captain don't you?

Are you aware that Marcus Trescothic admitted to ball tampering in the 2005 Ashes series?

Duplessis has been caught tampering twice, yet he still remains South African captain.

Ball tampering is widespread, the Aussies aren't Robinson Crusoe here. It is very disappointing seeing what has transpired, Smith and Bancroft have embarrassed not only themselves, but all Aussie cricket fans, but I can't understand why this is worse than the mulltiple examples of ball tampering that has been going on for many years.

I know people will say it is worse because it was pre planned, but really, Atherton going into the field with dirt in his pockets isn't pre planned? Trescothic going into the field with a picket full of lollipops isn't pre planned? I remember him diving in the field and the sweets were seen falling out of his pockets.

I am disappointed in Smith, but the world wide condemnation is over the top.

Where was the horror and condemnation in all other examples of blatant cheating?

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 5:59am

You do realise Mike Atherton did the same as Bancroft, got fined but remained England captain don't you?

Are you aware that Marcus Trescothic admitted to ball tampering in the 2005 Ashes series?

Duplessis has been caught tampering twice, yet he still remains South African captain.

Ball tampering is widespread, the Aussies aren't Robinson Crusoe here. It is very disappointing seeing what has transpired, Smith and Bancroft have embarrassed not only themselves, but all Aussie cricket fans, but I can't understand why this is worse than the mulltiple examples of ball tampering that has been going on for many years.

I know people will say it is worse because it was pre planned, but really, Atherton going into the field with dirt in his pockets isn't pre planned? Trescothic going into the field with a picket full of lollipops isn't pre planned? I remember him diving in the field and the sweets were seen falling out of his pockets.

Where was the horror and condemnation in all other examples of blatant cheating?

have to agree saintly - disgraceful sportmanship including their childish on field behaviour but this reaction is just too much

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 6:29am
James Sutherland has finally realized the gravity of the situation and flew to SA overnight to personally handle the investigation.

With a new media rights deal about to be negotiated, sponsors starting to get jittery and already calls that he has  been in the job too long and and having presided over the development of a culture in cricket that many Australians are not comfortable with, the pressure is on him to get this right or step aside himself.

Cricket is and has been much more than a sport in Australia(and other countries) it is an ideal that has held by many people while trust and faith in govt, politicians, community leaders and other institutions has eroded to something most people old enough to remember, cannot recognize any more. Some people take this very seriously. Their culture is being stolen from them by these players who dont seem to understand what they have done in the name of ''just winning at any cost''

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 7:10am

Steve Smith’s fortunes have taken another blow as Cricket Australia (CA) chief executive James Sutherland is due to land in South Africa on Tuesday amid mounting pressure to drop the Australian captain.

As Australia’s cricket heirarchy consider Smith’s fate, the prolific batsman’s Indian Premier League side released a statement saying he was stepping down as captain “in the best interest of the Rajasthan Royals”.

“Rajasthan Royals will do everything possible to protect the values and the integrity of the game,” co-owner Manoj Badale said.

“What happened in South Africa was clearly wrong, especially given that it appears to have been premeditated.”

Also...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/43539535" rel="nofollow - http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/43539535

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 7:54am
Things are moving fast 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2018/03/26/darren-lehmann-announce-resignation-australia-coach-board-considers/" rel="nofollow - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2018/03/26/darren-lehmann-announce-resignation-australia-coach-board-considers/

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 8:53am
Originally posted by ThreeBears ThreeBears wrote:

I played cricket at grade level for many years. Never once came across anyone using sunscreen, zinc or anything else to tamper with a ball. I've seen virtually every international team get caught at it over the years though including the great Tendulkar. Must be a high grade thing.

I take it Fiddlesticks is a Pom from PeeTee's post. Do you forget your own teams history of ball tampering Fiddlesticks?

Sack the lot of these worthless stains on the word sport. Fancy giving lowlifes like South Africa something to crow about. Hansie Cronje will be laughing in his grave.

don't play dumb, you know very well I'm an english supporter, you're just someone who changed their name here. I don't condone any cheating by anyone for any country, especially in cricket a game I love more than most sports, surfing comes first, then cricket then racing.

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 8:57am
If they give Smith a lengthy suspension when the ICC penalty and all precedent says a one match suspension is appropriate it will end up in court and Smith will win.

If cricket thinks ball-tampering is a serious issue their rules and practice should reflect that, in black and white. I'd have no problem with a life ban, if that was the law and the reality. But it does not- one match- very minor.

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 8:57am

Again I don't condone anyone cheating no matter who they play for, if they are english sack them, aussies sack them, makes no difference to me, cheats, thieves, criminals, I see not much differnce, Bancroft looks ike he has plenty of experience putting stuff down his pants, maybe a petty shoplifter when younger..?

Sweets in the pocket can be explained away innocently as sugar for players who need that little boost of energy out in the fileld all day, I fail to see how sweets could be used to rough up a ball either..? sugar granules, dirt, sticky tape with dirt on it..it becomes a sandpaper of sorts, again pre meditated cheating.

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 8:58am
the real grub here is about to stand down finally..the coach.

good riddance I say.

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 9:05am
We agree on that fiddles.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 9:42am

The problem was not the ball tampering as such, an offense that brings a fine of up to a match payment and a game suspension, why this is different according to those who know stuff, is that it was a conspiracy to cheat hatched by 5 or 6 players with a plan to destroy the ball at a particular time of the innings to get the ball exchanged for another one to effect an outcome. The timing and state of the ball of a certain age changes the swing characteristics to one that is counter to it's normal movement at that stage.Smith said they were under pressure and secretly hatched the plan to deliberately cheat

Correct PT

Smith is gone. He is going to be banned for life. Just watch.
Cricket Australia are wiping half the side and starting entire new culture.
Smith is certainly going to be banned for life.

Posted By: BlackKnight
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 10:00am

If they give Smith a lengthy suspension when the ICC penalty and all precedent says a one match suspension is appropriate it will end up in court and Smith will win.

If cricket thinks ball-tampering is a serious issue their rules and practice should reflect that, in black and white. I'd have no problem with a life ban, if that was the law and the reality. But it does not- one match- very minor.

But they don't have to give him a lengthy suspension. All they have to do is (a) not renew his CA contract (which if it's like the rest will expire next month) and (b) not pick him going forward for however long they consider appropriate - given that others have had their cards stamped as "never to play again" for far less he can hardly challenge the selection process.

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 10:06am

Again I don't condone anyone cheating no matter who they play for, if they are english sack them, aussies sack them, makes no difference to me, cheats, thieves, criminals, I see not much differnce, Bancroft looks ike he has plenty of experience putting stuff down his pants, maybe a petty shoplifter when younger..?

Sweets in the pocket can be explained away innocently as sugar for players who need that little boost of energy out in the fileld all day, I fail to see how sweets could be used to rough up a ball either..? sugar granules, dirt, sticky tape with dirt on it..it becomes a sandpaper of sorts, again pre meditated cheating.

Trescothick admitted searching for the right sweet that impacted the ball the most. That is pre meditation right there. The fact that all the players in the side gave him the ball to shine after each deliver shows they were well aware of what was going on.

Atherton took the field with dirt in his pocket, again pre meditated cheating.

Duplessis and Kohli have been caught using sweets to tamper with the ball, both are still captain of their country.

I understand the disappointment, I hate their arrogance, but this is no worse than any other previous ball tampering efforts by others.

I cannot fathom why the world has gone crazy because of this instance. Where was the moral outrage 20 years ago, 10 years ago, 5 years ago or even last year?

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 10:07am
Originally posted by BlackKnight BlackKnight wrote:

But they don't have to give him a lengthy suspension. All they have to do is (a) not renew his CA contract (which if it's like the rest will expire next month) and (b) not pick him going forward for however long they consider appropriate - given that others have had their cards stamped as "never to play again" for far less he can hardly challenge the selection process.

He certainly can question the selection process, when his average towers above all other active Aussie batsmen and he is the reigning AB medalist. See you in court, sucker.Wink

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 10:08am
The reason he will never play again, is because it wasnt just an international news story, it was the leading international news story, and Cricket Australia, and indeed the Australian Government, want cricket to become a leading example of sportsmanship for youth.
Its all about the kids

Us adults, we dont care if he played next week.
But we do care about the culture of what we convey to children.
Thats why he is going to get a life ban. He orchestrated cheating.
Captain is higher ranking than the Coach by the way in cricket.
Its different than football.

Captains in cricket are the tacticians.
Smith as Captain, orchestrated a group to cheat, and even if it was the coach saying, "lets cheat", in cricket, its "The Captains Call".

Smith is gone

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 10:13am
Then why didn't Atherton get sacked?

Why are Kohli and Duplessis still captain of their respective countries? Duplessis has been caught twice. How many other times has he done it without getting caught
?

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 10:17am
Scrap the whole lot from Sutherland right down thru the pack.  Start fresh with new young blood and form a a team with a culture that appreciates the fact they are getting paid massive money to represent Australia on a world stage, as well set an example for kids . Give it a new group of blokes who will act like grown men with honesty and integrity, instead of a bunch of spoiled and indulged kids who cant handle getting beaten.
You know whats said.
Its not wether you win or loose that counts.  Its how you play the game.

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 10:19am
I'll tell you what will happen. CA will hire a team of PR spivs to coach Smith and Co in how to fake contrition and say all the right things. They will be drilled in me-so-sorry until they can recite it in their sleep. Then they will get a 3-6 month suspension.

But they will lose their current IPL contract- bummer. Why did they give Smith a huge IPL deal anyway? If he's a 20/20 superstar I will be very surprised.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net