another good stayer by RAISE THE FLAG
This one is flying

Replies:
Posted By: Flight
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 9:22pm
It's Etah

Hate (?) James?

-------------
“The probability of a certain set of circumstances coming together in a meaningful (or tragic) way is so low that it simply cannot be considered mere coincidence. ”
― V.C. King

Posted By: Magnolian Khan
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 9:58pm
Cheers
I did type Etah but noticed after I pressed post autocorrect changed it

Posted By: BlackKnight
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Flight Flight wrote:

It's Etah

Hate (?) James?

Named for the singer you'd presume but using the spelling of the dam's name

Posted By: Shawy38
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 11:21am
Originally posted by BlackKnight BlackKnight wrote:

It's Etah

Hate (?) James?

Correct. Etta James

Posted By: Flight
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

It's Etah

Hate (?) James?

Correct. Etta James

Thanks  Thumbs Up

-------------
“The probability of a certain set of circumstances coming together in a meaningful (or tragic) way is so low that it simply cannot be considered mere coincidence. ”
― V.C. King

Posted By: Carioca
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 6:41pm

It's Etah

Hate (?) James?

Correct. Etta James

Thanks  Thumbs Up

Best remembered for her song "At Last" , not to be mixed with Etta Jones with her song "Don't go to Strangers" which is fabulous, the mare has a touch of class, long term CC chance I reckon, a touch of trivia with a dash of foresight.

Posted By: Lord Hybrow
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 8:37am
Noticed her nominated for a 2100m mares race at Sandown on Weds.

I thought she was going for a spell after her 2nd placing in the Bagot Hcp. I can only think she’s going to be kept in work for the Adelaide Cup perhaps?

Posted By: Xavier
Date Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 12:16pm
The Festival Of Racing has only just begun but trainer Matt Cumani is already planning for the spring with his staying mare Etah James, who returns to the races at Ladbrokes Park Lakeside on Wednesday.

Despite showing great staying promise in her short career, Cumani said he was likely to avoid sending the mare to the top shelf of staying races this autumn, preferring instead to pick the races that will be ultimately beneficial for her future.

"We're just trying to keep her going and get a couple of races into her to get a bit of a guide for what races we can target in the spring after having a nice break over the winter," Cumani explained.

Etah James, a winner of five of her eight starts, was last seen on January 1 when running second in the 2800-metre Bagot Handicap at Flemington. Her task on Wednesday is to carry 58.5kg after the claim for Stephanie Thornton against fellow fillies and mares at Benchmark 78 level over 2100m.

"I guess it's an extension of her last prep rather than it being a new prep," Cumani said. "She had four weeks without a gallop and one week in the paddock for a little freshen up and I'll really happy with how she's come back."

Given the New Zealand-bred mare has run just eight times, Cumani said he was likely to resist the temptation of trying out the emerging stayer in better class this autumn.

"We have nominated her for the Sydney Cup but my personal preference is to keep that until next year," he said.

"I don't necessarily see any reason to step her up to 3200m at this stage. I'd quite like to target some of the better 2400-metre races if we can.

"We might find that she needs that - a step-up to 3200 to bring about her best form but for now we'll look at races like the Mornington Cup.

"I am not sure about the track for her but it's a good stake and there's always the dream that a win there can get us a ballot-free run to the Caulfield Cup."

Despite coming off the break, Cumani said he was looking for Etah James to run strongly on Wednesday.

"I'm hoping she'll go super well," he said. "She's had a bit of time off so going straight up to 2400m would be a question mark and something a lot shorter will be a question mark for her so hopefully 2100 is perfect."

-------------
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes

Posted By: Prince of Penzance
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 7:52pm
Probably should’ve gone to the paddock after the Bagot

Posted By: Rosscoe
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by Prince of Penzance Prince of Penzance wrote:

Probably should’ve gone to the paddock after the Bagot

Spot on, was never a winning chance today, cooked now and needs the greener pastures!

-------------
Current Stable - Soul Star & Adivinar + Lady Vega

Posted By: 3blindmice
Date Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 11:10pm
Was no hope that far back behind what looked to be a moderate speed. Only watched 3 races but they were all dominated by on pacers, which isn't unusual for Lakeside.

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 9:22am
I’m certain that Matt Cumani was interviewed before the Bagot and said that win, lose or draw she was going to the paddock after that race.

Not sure what the change in thinking here has been. Talk of the Mornington Cup being a target race. Hope it’s not a case of the owners pressuring Matt to run in that race and try to get that silly auto-entry into the Caulfield Cup.

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 11:18am
Above he states that she had 4 weeks spell

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 2:29pm
Got a bit of time for this young man but I think he may have erred slightly, 5 weeks without a gallop then into a 2100 and very short in the market, then again we are not privy to all the circumstances, hope she pulled up sound.

Posted By: adolphus twirk
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 5:21pm
What a difference a day makes !

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by adolphus twirk adolphus twirk wrote:

What a difference a day makes !

That's Dinah Washington not Etta.

Posted By: Gay3
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 7:59pm
Pre every race last prep, Cumani stated she's an ultra good doing mare who needs a power of work & racing, not once but at least 4 times that I heard. Anyone expecting her to win y'day had rocks in their head.

-------------
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 9:23pm
So the $1-80 SP was just all mug money , the joint must be full of em.

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Got a bit of time for this young man but I think he may have erred slightly, 5 weeks without a gallop then into a 2100 and very short in the market, then again we are not privy to all the circumstances, hope she pulled up sound.

Stewards report interesting, lay inwards in the straight, endoscopic report revealed
bled internally, EIPH, vet clearance required, hmmmm ...can you really go 6 weeks without a gallop ( including a week in the paddock) Jan1- Feb14 and start 5/4 on.

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 9:59am
I have her winning the Lord Reims Stks 2600m today.

Then hopefully backing up Monday week for the Adelaide Cup 3200m.

Posted By: tillyras
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 11:11am
Gee if she races like she did the other day she has no chance. Needs to lift! Good luck

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 4:46pm
Unlikely to run in the Adelaide Cup
Trainer keen to keep her at 2400 for Mornington
Not ready for 3200

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 5:02pm
That is most disappointing to hear she’s not going to the Adelaide Cup.

A time honoured $400,000 Group 2 race at her mercy......but going to a Listed country cup instead

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 5:14pm
Trainer says she has bigger fish to fry. Win at Mornington gets her into the Caulfield Cup

Posted By: Dominic63
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 5:50am
She had her first start in April last year and has only had 10 races.  The trainer has placed her pretty well perfectly, but is probably also trying to find out how good she actually is.  The Adelaide Cup, attractive as it is, was never in the plans.

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 10:58am
Watched her win the other day and although imo the opposition was ordinary she appears to be over the little hiccup and a wins a win but it shows there is no substitute for fitness!

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 8:13pm
Not going to Mornington now?

Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 8:28pm

Not going to Mornington now?

Wasn't nominated.

Date Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:40pm
Accepted for the Colin Stephen Qlty 2400m at Rosehill on Saturday.

Looks like smart placement by Matt Cumani. Hope he’s rewarded for taking her up to Sydney with a win by the nice mare.

Posted By: VOYAGER
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 4:31am
Well there was no way she would win the Naturalism if she had of made the high quality field.

-------------
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 11:26am
A session with an equine chiropractor this week could be a step closer to realising an Auckland Cup dream with Australian Group 3 winner Etah James.

Etah James won six of her 15 starts and more than $260,000 in prizemoney for Ballarat trainer Matt Cumani and is now back in New Zealand with her original trainer Mark Lupton.

Lupton, based at Matamata, co-bred and part-owns the daughter of Raise The Flag.

The six-year-old mare holds a nomination for the Group 1 Barfoot & Thompson Auckland Cup (3200m) at Ellerslie on March 9 but Lupton is taking it one step at a time with the talented stayer.

“We hope to get to the Auckland Cup with her, but it’s a longshot,” Lupton said.

“There are still other good staying races like the Rotorua Cup and the Hawke’s Bay Cup if she doesn’t get there.

“She’s a good stayer, but things didn’t work out for her in the spring. She lost her form so we decided to bring her home. If she comes up we’ll try her then she can go to stud next season.

“I’ll just tick her over and see if she still wants to race.”

Etah James has shown in her work at Matamata that she is still keen to compete.

“She’s been working well, but she’s got a few shoulder and neck issues so we’ve got the chiropractor coming to look at her this week,” Lupton said.

“Hopefully he can sort it out. I’m hopeful of getting her to a trial here at Matamata in a couple of weeks.”

Lupton and his wife, Cath, bred and race Etah James with long-time friends, Gary Howes (a London lawyer) and Sydney businessman Terry Reid.

The same group enjoyed eight wins with dual Group Three winner Tickle, a sister to Etah James’ dam, Etah.

Tickle’s wins included the Group 3 Labour Day Cup (2020m) in Brisbane, but she broke down two starts later in the 2005 Group 1 Doomben Cup (2200m) and could not be saved.

Lupton educated and trialled Etah James before sending her to Cumani as a four-year-old.

She made her Australian debut with a sixth at Cranbourne in April 2017 then went on to win five of her first seven starts, emerging as an up-and-coming stayer with four of those wins being from 2000m to 2420m (at Caulfield).

She then finished a sound second to Parthesia (also by Raise The Flag) in the Listed Bagot Handicap (2800m) at Flemington on New Year’s Day last year and two starts later she was a convincing winner of the Group 3 Lord Reims Stakes (2600m) at Morphettville.

“She led all the way in the Lord Reims and won it so well,” Lupton said.

“We had high hopes for her this spring, but everything went wrong.”

Her best placings in her last five starts for Cumani were a couple of sevenths and she struck an unsuitable heavy track when eighth in the Sydney St Leger (2600m) at Randwick last October before her farewell performance when second-last at Flemington on Melbourne Cup day.

While Etah James has returned home, Lupton and his partners have his He’s Remarkable half-brother Redeemer with Cumani.

“I gave him one trial and he was just beaten then I sent him over to Matt,” Lupton said.

“He’s only had one start over there, but he shows a lot of promise.”

NZ Racing Desk

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 6:38pm
I thought we’d seen the last of this handy staying mare, who left Matt Cumani back home to NZ.

But she’s back in Qld for the Tattersalls Cup at 3000m tomorrow & presumably the Qld Cup at 3200m too.

Posted By: SkyDancer
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 4:46pm
Superb win today

And no, I didn’t back her

Aiming for the Jericho 2020

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 5:07pm
I wonder if part owner Mark Lupton is any relation to Snowy Lupton of Kiwi fame.?

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 5:14pm
Will have a flat rating of about 87 after today, so would be asked to carry about 77-78 kgs in next year's Jericho.

Given she's Gp 3 stakeswinner I'd have another date in line for her. Wink

Posted By: Foxseal
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 5:57pm

I wonder if part owner Mark Lupton is any relation to Snowy Lupton of Kiwi fame.?

Definitely related. I think Mark Lupton (part owner & breeder) is Snowy Lupton’s nephew.

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 6:58pm
Immediate target is the Bagot on Jan 1

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 6:59pm
Well that certainly makes sense.

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Foxseal Foxseal wrote:

Definitely related. I think Mark Lupton (part owner & breeder) is Snowy Lupton’s nephew.

Thanks Foxseal, when I think of Snowy the stallion Blarney Kiss comes to mind.

Posted By: Foxseal
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 9:14am
Carioca, that stallion did pretty well from limited opportunities. Two Melb Cup winners in Kiwi & Kensei, plus a topliner Our Paddy Boy.

The Lupton family also includes gun jumps jockey Isaac Lupton & now retired trainer Leon Lupton who had lots of good jumpers in the 80’s & 90’s. I think Leon ended up settling in Victoria for farming.

Posted By: Smoke and Mirrors
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 5:20pm
Well well well....she just won the Sydney Cup

-------------
"Go Hard or Go Home”

Posted By: Smoke and Mirrors
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 5:25pm
This explains the stable change

Group 3 winning mare Etah James will join the stable of Ciaron Maher and David Eustace after a brave performance when fourth in last Saturday's Group 1 Auckland Cup (3200m) behind Roger That.

The 7-year-old mare is in the twilight of her career and will be set for a tilt at the Group 1 Sydney Cup (3200m) on April 11, with Matamata trainer and part-owner Mark Lupton keen to make use of the dual-state stable.

"Ciaron and Dave have a Sydney base at Warwick Farm, headed by Annabel Neasham and we have an existing relationship with the Maher-Eustace team," Lupton said.

"Ciaron trained her half-brother Sniper a few years ago."

ADVERTISEMENT

Advertise with NZME.
Etah James has won seven races for Ballarat trainer Matt Cumani, with Lupton recently taking over as trainer for a two-start campaign in New Zealand, which resulted in the mare finishing third in the Group 2 Avondale Cup (2400m) before her fourth placing in Auckland's two-mile feature.

"I didn't want to send her back to Ballarat to target a couple of races in Sydney and I spoke to Matt, who we have a fantastic relationship with, and he was very understanding," Lupton said. "We thought rather than send her all the way back to Ballarat we might as well go straight to Sydney."

While Lupton contemplated campaigning Etah James himself or transferring her to the care of a New Zealand trainer, the economics of an Australian-based trainer won out.

"I contemplated taking her over myself, but logistically it is a nightmare and I am in the middle of moving and rearranging houses," he said.

"Then I was going to get a local to take her, but it's actually a lot more expensive to send her over from here with a local trainer because you have got to have riders, accommodation and everything that goes with it."

Lupton was pleased with Etah James' run in the Auckland Cup.

-------------
"Go Hard or Go Home”

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 12:29am
Have been a fan of this mare since she first came over from NZ a few years ago but wasn’t on her today.

Really thought a big race win had passed her by as a 7yo. But congrats to connections for persisting with her. She’s certainly a good old fashioned Kiwi stayer.

Posted By: djebel
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 1:16am
ETAH JAMES (NZ)Bay filly 2012 
Raise the Flag
Bay 2005
Sadler's Wells
Bay 1981
Northern Dancer
Bay 1961
Nearctic
Brown 1954
Nearco
Lady Angela
4-r
14-c
Natalma
Bay 1957
Native Dancer
Almahmoud
5-f
2-d
Fairy Bridge
Bay 1975
Bold Reason
Bay 1968
Hail to Reason
Lalun
4-n
19-b
Special
Bay 1969
Forli
Thong
3-b
5-h
Hasili
Bay 1991
Kahyasi
Bay 1985
Ile de Bourbon
Bay 1975
Nijinsky
Roseliere
8-f
4-i
Kadissya
Bay 1979
Blushing Groom
Kalkeen
22-d
5-e
Kerali
Chestnut 1984
High Line
Chestnut 1966
High Hat
Time Call
2-o
5-e
Sookera
Bay or brown 1975
Roberto
Irule
12-c
11>
Etah
Bay or brown 2004
Danasinga
Bay 1991
Danehill
Bay 1986
Danzig
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Pas de Nom
2-d
7-a
Razyana
Bay 1981
His Majesty
Spring Adieu
4-d
2-d
Princess Tracy
Bay 1981
Ahonoora
Chestnut 1975
Lorenzaccio
Helen Nichols
5-h
1-m
Princess Ru
Bay 1962
Princely Gift
Chiru
13-a
8-c
Amanpour
Brown 1994
Khozaam
Bay 1982
Seattle Slew
Bay or brown 1974
Bold Reasoning
My Charmer
1-k
13-c
Par Excellance
Bay 1977
L'Enjoleur
Cam Shaft
4-g
52>
Sensuality
Brown 1988
Redmead
Bay 1980
Hoist the Flag
Red Cross
5-i
15-d
Princess Ecstasy
Bay 1976
Sun Prince
Cheerful
1-l
16-g
 Ancestor duplications:Northern Dancer3m x 5m

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 5:07pm

Last year's Sydney Cup winner Etah James has been retired.  

Part-owner Mark Lupton said the mare he and wife Cath bred and raced had suffered a setback ahead of her title defence.

She was going to have another crack at the Sydney Cup and she was in work on a water walker in Melbourne but a sarcoid started growing and she had to go back to Sydney for an operation, Lupton said. 

Etah James won the Sydney Cup as an $14 chance for trainers Ciaron Maher and David Eustace with Glen Boss aboard.

The mare had previously been trained to Australian stakes success by Matt Cumani, while Lupton had also trained the daughter of Raise The Flag during her time in New Zealand, including a G2 Avondale Cup (2400m) placing and fourth in the G1 Auckland Cup (3200m).

-------------
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net