Forum Description: General discussion about thoroughbred horse racing
URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=61197
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 7:10pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Cracksman
Posted By: Sunline
Subject: Cracksman
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 10:34am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G-6lWfN4X8%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G-6lWfN4X8

What a win. That stride! Reminds me of his old man.

-------------
Sunline...simply supreme

Replies:
Posted By: bradjm
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 11:13am
I'm more a legs man

Posted By: James0330
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 4:28pm
Certainly gallops in the style of his old man. If he improves as a 4yo then the 2018 Arc may be one for the ages against Enable. Hopefully Winx can meet one of the two mid season.

Posted By: Formerly Kincsem
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 4:39pm
Form on soft looks vastly superior to his dryer track form. If Winx does meet him, a wet track, home ground advantage and potential for travel wariness makes it a huge risk now.

Really have to question whether it would be too big an ask for a 7yo mare to beat both Enable and now Cracksman under such circumstances. 

I think She can and if she did, it would put her above Frankel for mine.

Posted By: ThreeBears
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 5:23pm
LOL. Dream on. LOL

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 12:08am
Originally posted by ThreeBears ThreeBears wrote:

LOL. Dream on. LOL

I have her right along side Frankel over 2000m, certainly think she would be beating him off a strong tempo and with some give in the ground. Slow tempo on firmer ground and he would be too hard to run down.

Reckon she'd have at least 3L on Cirrus Des Aigles in the wet and could certainly see her gap the likes of SNA and Farhh(?) by a similar margin as Frankel.

1600m and she would get held comfortably. All a matter of opinion.

You from the UK or timeform by any chance?

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 12:56am
Neither but I don't suffer from Xenophobic blindness either. Hartnell wouldn't have gotten anywhere near Frankel over any distance. Keep the laughs coming.

Posted By: bradjm
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 10:30am

Neither but I don't suffer from Xenophobic blindness either. Hartnell wouldn't have gotten anywhere near Frankel over any distance. Keep the laughs coming.

He doesnt usually get anywhere near Winx either

Posted By: correctweight
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 1:30pm
Frankel is the most overrated horse ever. I mean they moved all the timeform ratings just so they could give him a higher rating.

Posted By: djebel
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by correctweight correctweight wrote:

Frankel is the most overrated horse ever. I mean they moved all the timeform ratings just so they could give him a higher rating.

That is not quite correct.

The official International ratings people moved their ratings around to fit in with some sort of narrative.

Timeform have never changed theirs.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 12:21am
The only people that under rate Frankel are rightfully considered mugs by every racing person on the planet with an opinion that matters. Many Oz forum dwellers do not fall into the "matters" category.
So be it.

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 12:37am
Ok cool

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 12:37am
Originally posted by bradjm bradjm wrote:

He doesnt usually get anywhere near Winx either

I would thought you pick up from the alias, but I’ve followed, studied and admired international racing since I was a child with an almost unhealthy interest. So xenophobic is so far off the mark it’s not funny.

I consider Frankel the best in my lifetime so to compare Winx is not to denegrate Frankel. I have Winx about 3.5L ahead of SYT (WFA) who I would consider marginally the 2nd best 2000m horse we have produced in the last 30 years.

To put my opinion of Winx into perspective I think she has a clear 4L over Sunline so certainly not downplaying Frankel.

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 12:59am
WOW. Do you take drugs often? You asked if I was a Pom or from Timeform, presumably as a means of demeaning my opinion on Frankel. At least have the courage to own your garbage. As for Frankel being the best of your lifetime do you even recall what you said on the other thread. Here it is again just to refresh your memory. Good grief!

Cracksman, son of Frankel just put down a performance IMO equal to anything Frankel did over 2000m

Do not make offensive character attacks on members, thanks.

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 9:35am

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 12:00pm

WOW. Do you take drugs often? You asked if I was a Pom or from Timeform, presumably as a means of demeaning my opinion on Frankel. At least have the courage to own your garbage. As for Frankel being the best of your lifetime do you even recall what you said on the other thread. Here it is again just to refresh your memory. Good grief!

Cracksman, son of Frankel just put down a performance IMO equal to anything Frankel did over 2000m

Just take breath mate, no need for the personal digs.

Timeform have underrated Winx by about 5lbs compared to International ratings, nothing to do with Frankel. 

Also I rate Frankel the best I've seen for his exploits over the mile, his not nearly as bomb-proof over 2000m, hence why I think Winx at her peak distance would hold all the tactical aces over that trip and be very close depending on race circumstance.

I've stated on a number of occasions he's the best I've seen in general terms, just so happens that Winx at WFA would be almost as good as any horse I've seen over 2000m.

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Formerly Kincsem Formerly Kincsem wrote:

Just take breath mate, no need for the personal digs.

Timeform have underrated Winx by about 5lbs compared to International ratings, nothing to do with Frankel. 

Also I rate Frankel the best I've seen for his exploits over the mile, his not nearly as bomb-proof over 2000m, hence why I think Winx at her peak distance would hold all the tactical aces over that trip and be very close depending on race circumstance.

I've stated on a number of occasions he's the best I've seen in general terms, just so happens that Winx at WFA would be almost as good as any horse I've seen over 2000m.

Agreed. Your an international racing fan and watch most racing jurisdictions and are resoected by the forum.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 7:36pm
Racingfotos 48227951336

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 7:40pm
Cracksman was wonderful again last night but it would take some serious artistic license to get his rating for last night up with Winx and Gun Runner.

I have no doubt he is right up there with them but the runner up is pretty average, or at least he was, he has clearly improved 20 lengths on his previous best.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: Atreus
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 8:03pm
Let's be honest.  Cracksman is better than Winx and it is impossible to say Winx is the world's best while Cracksman is around

Highland Reel is a very consistent horse.  Winx beat Highland Reel by 5.6L in the Cox Plate.  A few weeks later Highland Reel won the HK Vase by 1.5L.  Cracksman beat Highland Reed by 7.3L at Ascot in the Champion Stakes end of last year.  A few weeks later Highland Reel won the HK Vase by 1.8L

So I don't think Highland Reel underperformed when he raced against Cracksman going by his HK Vase performance.  The fact is that Cracksman's best is about 1.5L superior to Winx's best

Both are great horses but Cracksman is the best

Posted By: Carioca
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 8:07pm
Yes he was impressive but really only for a furlong and a half, the track looked in good nick and no horse looked uncomfortable , they should be booked for loitering, they have ran the 2000 in 2-9-45sec, with a pacemaker there it's farcical imo.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 8:09pm
2100m. Smile

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Atreus Atreus wrote:

Let's be honest.  Cracksman is better than Winx and it is impossible to say Winx is the world's best while Cracksman is around

Highland Reel is a very consistent horse.  Winx beat Highland Reel by 5.6L in the Cox Plate.  A few weeks later Highland Reel won the HK Vase by 1.5L.  Cracksman beat Highland Reed by 7.3L at Ascot in the Champion Stakes end of last year.  A few weeks later Highland Reel won the HK Vase by 1.8L

So I don't think Highland Reel underperformed when he raced against Cracksman going by his HK Vase performance.  The fact is that Cracksman's best is about 1.5L superior to Winx's best

Both are great horses but Cracksman is the best

You may well be right but his effort on Sunday night was not enough to take him to the top of the rankings at this point in time.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Yes he was impressive but really only for a furlong and a half, the track looked in good nick and no horse looked uncomfortable , they should be booked for loitering, they have ran the 2000 in 2-9-45sec, with a pacemaker there it's farcical imo.

And I will add after reading Atreus's post if he's better than Winx the I will give up ever having a bet again.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 8:18pm
Carioca

Time for you to give up betting

Cracksman's peak run is too powerful even for Winx

A real shame that Waller did not take Winx to the UK so the world could see Cracksman vs Winx

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

2100m. Smile

Just read it , oops big boo boo.

Posted By: Morston
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 8:21pm

Carioca

Time for you to give up betting

Cracksman's peak run is too powerful even for Winx

A real shame that Waller did not take Winx to the UK so the world could see Cracksman vs Winx

....and we do not know how either of them would measure up against Enable....although Cracksman and Enable may well meet this year.

.......and Gosden has a few more waiting in the wings

Posted By: AndiCap
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 8:27pm
Attempting to compare those from different Hemispheres when they have not met in both areas is pure folly.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by AndiCap AndiCap wrote:

Attempting to compare those from different Hemispheres when they have not met in both areas is pure folly.
agreed....and such discussion is pointless

Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 8:30pm
Thank Heavens for some clear realism from Andi.  Star

Posted By: 3blindmice
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 8:30pm
Lol. Comparing runs and margins at different tracks over different distances is fraught with problems, hence the reason ratings adjust for such things. Out of interest, since you've done it Atreus what are the average winning margins in 2000/2400m G1s at each of those tracks? 

Irrespective, blind freddie knows HR is better over further than 2000m. He is better suited on firmer tracks (never won on anything else) and goes much better later in his prep. Ascot was first up, 2000m, on a slow track.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 8:31pm
And not getting the proper distances before posting times is also pure folly.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 8:47pm

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 9:04pm
Faced just six.  Only one Group 1 winner among them.  A Class 2 rater ran 2nd.

And people whinge about the quality of Winx's beaten brigade.  Ermm

Posted By: maccamax
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Let them dream Croca..    When Winx won the last Cox Plate she travelled about 2400m .    4 wide Hughie was asleep again.... Overdid the wide run a bit.   Ran another Course Record .
    Frankel used to run times that Winx would run backwards.

Posted By: Rusty101
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 11:08pm

Enough nonsense....the best thoroughbreds on the planet are in Europe so its actually a simple comparison to make.

It'll be debated for the next hundred years but bottom line is at the peak of her powers with no more to prove in Oz, history will dictate she dodged the 2 UK champs........or should they both come here LOLLOL

-------------
Rusty

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 11:25pm
Given that she's never run at the tracks Frankel did and never will you're speaking hypothetical bullcrap Macca.

Posted By: Sneck
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Rusty101 Rusty101 wrote:

Enough nonsense....the best thoroughbreds on the planet are in Europe so its actually a simple comparison to make.

It'll be debated for the next hundred years but bottom line is at the peak of her powers with no more to prove in Oz, history will dictate she dodged the 2 UK champs........or should they both come here LOLLOL
Frankel dodged the Arc and he would have gotten beat had he not done so.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 11:44pm
Frankel was a miler....why on earth would he run in the Arc?

Posted By: kavg
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 11:45pm
Atreus, you can not use highland reel as a yardstick as there is a 2 year lapse in his runs vs winx and cracksman. Most believe he was at his peak a year before and after winx trounced him. He was not the same horse last year even allowing for his wins.
At this stage cracksman is a very good horse. Winx is a great horse.

-------------
Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 11:47pm
Frankel dodged the Arc
Another meaningless attempt to defame a great horse.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 11:49pm

Frankel dodged the Arc
Another meaningless attempt to defame a great horse.

Indeed....he didn’t run in the Grand National either

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by Morston Morston wrote:

Legacy?

They strongly considered running and he was antepost favorite.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by Sneck Sneck wrote:

Legacy?

Is Winx dodging the Melbourne cup?

Posted By: Jamal
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 11:58pm
From a friend who said

"PS could be going to the Queen Anne according to the trainer. Buick jumped off and said he was world class. But always a risk as he had a few sheep lose in the top paddock. Cracksman was bloody huge. Won’t be beaten over 2400m this year baring bad luck. Forget the opposition. I brilliant run is a brilliant run full stop. Only a novice doesn’t understand this. I’ve explained how Winx leg speed is off the charts- for Cracksman it’s his length of stride. Two of the largest strides we’ve seen in recent years are BC and Frankel- both peaked at 26.5ft. Cracksman is already just over 26 feet. Huge"

Pakistan Star is "PS"

-------------
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 12:04am

Originally posted by Sneck Sneck wrote:

Legacy?

Is Winx dodging the Melbourne cup?
You missed the context of my initial post.

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 12:26am
Originally posted by Rusty101 Rusty101 wrote:

I'll take it as read that you mean middle distance+ horses Rusty, but presumably you have evidence for this

Last year a dirt track USA tbred was judged the best in the world, and so far this year an ageing mare from down under is leading the pack, despite the obvious bias of some raters. I guess a world record number of G1 wins, and consecutive wins against all comers (smashing a couple who finished close up behind arguably Europe's best at the time, Solow) have finally convinced most doubters. 

One UK racing identity visiting Randwick for the Championships declared she would have beaten any of theirs when arrogantly flogging them in the QEII, while Irish trainer Ken Condon rates her as one of the world's greatest ever. 

Just shows that some who venture into the rose garden will only ever notice the manure even as others marvel at the wonderful flowers and scents.

Posted By: Sunline
Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 12:29am
As I thought last year when I saw him, an amazing mover. Reminded me so much of his Dad.

Count me out of comparisons with the greatest horse in the world and one of the best Australia has ever seen.

-------------
Sunline...simply supreme

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 2:12am

Given that she's never run at the tracks Frankel did and never will you're speaking hypothetical bullcrap Macca.

Times are relevant on different tracks by what they run outside the course record.       . Reliable rule of thumb.
Gave us winners like Prince of Penzance and hundreds of others .
I recall Septimus coming out as unbeatable ---Fav.   Couldn't win on times . Ran last

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 3:36am
You cannot compare times in Australia vs the UK as in the UK the tracks have more hills in them than the very flat Aussie racing

The best comparison is drawing a line between a consistent horse like Highland Reel who has raced in both Australia and the UK and raced against both Winx and Cracksman.  And this comparison tells us that Cracksman is 1.70 lengths superior to Winx.  1.70 lengths gives plenty of margin for error in favour of Cracksman being the superior horse

Cracksman is a great horse so there is no shame in Winx being inferior to him.  2nd best is still a decent achievement

The key is that nobody can claim that Winx is the best in the world while Cracksman is around and Winx has not beaten him.  Waller and the Winx connections had a golden opportunity to take Winx to Europe and beat Cracksman and cement her place as an all time great of the Australian turf.  Instead they decided to shoot for 30 wins in a row against Foxplay quality opposition.  And Black Caviar's struggling win in the UK shows that a big winning streak in Australia these last few years does not support "best in the world" claims

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 3:40am
You seem to be conveniently forgetting that Cracksman met Highland Reel in unfavorable conditions for Highland Reel.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 5:28am
Areus: You are being selective in nominating another method of comparing.
Doesn't matter if tracks are uphill, downhill or along the motorway , all have course records recorded over many generations.
   Not many years ago I used to get ridiculed for mentioning "Times " .
Everyone and their dog are into comparisons now as one variable.
Remember , The fastest horse wins every race.
I don't follow over seas racing but I note that was Cracksman's first start out of restricted grade.
Talk to us when he's won another 21 and 18 G1's.

Posted By: Brudder_A
Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 6:00am
The more important question for Cracksman is whether he shows up next in Ireland for The Tattersalls Cup or he goes straight to the Prince of Wales at Ascot.

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 9:23am
but I note that was Cracksman's first start out of restricted grade.
More rubbish Macca. Back to school for you. Champion Stakes last autumn was open class Gr1. And times are not relevant against the course record only. Headwinds, rain on the day, race pace, on the day same distance comparison, length of grass etc all play a factor.

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 11:29am

You cannot compare times in Australia vs the UK as in the UK the tracks have more hills in them than the very flat Aussie racing

The best comparison is drawing a line between a consistent horse like Highland Reel who has raced in both Australia and the UK and raced against both Winx and Cracksman.  And this comparison tells us that Cracksman is 1.70 lengths superior to Winx.  1.70 lengths gives plenty of margin for error in favour of Cracksman being the superior horse

Cracksman is a great horse so there is no shame in Winx being inferior to him.  2nd best is still a decent achievement

The key is that nobody can claim that Winx is the best in the world while Cracksman is around and Winx has not beaten him.  Waller and the Winx connections had a golden opportunity to take Winx to Europe and beat Cracksman and cement her place as an all time great of the Australian turf.  Instead they decided to shoot for 30 wins in a row against Foxplay quality opposition.  And Black Caviar's struggling win in the UK shows that a big winning streak in Australia these last few years does not support "best in the world" claims

So you keep saying while ignoring the obvious. The old theory that if you repeat it often enough it must be true is alive and kicking. I see you're still claiming that Black Caviar was at her best at Ascot. It's hard to take you seriously after that but nevertheless we all make silly statements we'd like to retract so moving on.....

You've chosen not to answer my question regarding margins (difficult for sure but relevant), or respond to the FACTS regarding Highland Reel's performance against Cracksman (for obvious reasons) so I'll focus on something you must be able to answer.

What forumula and criteria did you use to arrive at your 1.7l  Being very generous we'll ignore the previously mentioned errors in attempting to compare results over different distance, on different tracks, on different track conditions, at different times, at different stages of preps, in races run at different tempos (for example, being a 2400m specialist Highland Reel would have enjoyed the fast tempo of Winx's Cox Plate).

My next comment will be obvious to most who've read your latest piece of junk, er analysis. If, as you state,  nobody can claim Winx is superior because she hasn't beaten him - something many will disagree with while acknowledging that absolute proof would only be possible through multiple meetings at various tracks - it must have dawned on you that the reverse must also be true

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 11:55am

You seem to be conveniently forgetting that Cracksman met Highland Reel in unfavorable conditions for Highland Reel.

I'm sure he's simply kicking the can down the road. Good to get some action going in the forum but little else. 

It's a positive for racing that people will constantly argue about racing's great horses  kept apart by time or distance but in the end there is no valid comparison so we shouldn't denigrate one for another. 

Cracksman with just two G1s isn't there yet but he has the potential. The fact that he was already near the top of the world ratings after just one win at the top level shows just how foggy those ratings are imo.  

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Brudder_A Brudder_A wrote:

The more important question for Cracksman is whether he shows up next in Ireland for The
Tattersalls Cup or he goes straight to the Prince of Wales at Ascot.

Seems a fair chance he'll run in both.

Lets hope they add the King and Queen stakes. Enable kicking off in the Coronation Cup.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: Tlazolteotl
Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 12:07pm

The more important question for Cracksman is whether he shows up next in Ireland for The

Lets hope they add the King and Queen stakes. Enable kicking off in the Coronation Cup.

Wow! France, England and Ireland.Shocked This guy is an international traveller- Winx, no excuse for staying at home.

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Wow! France, England and Ireland.Shocked This guy is an international traveller- Winx, no excuse for staying at home.

LOL

It is easier than travelling from Sydney to Melbourne. 

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

I'm sure he's simply kicking the can down the road. Good to get some action going in the forum but little else. 

It's a positive for racing that people will constantly argue about racing's great horses  kept apart by time or distance but in the end there is no valid comparison so we shouldn't denigrate one for another. 

Cracksman with just two G1s isn't there yet but he has the potential. The fact that he was already near the top of the world ratings after just one win at the top level shows just how foggy those ratings are imo.  

Cracksman is no longer potential, He is the finished article, It is just a matter of producing the goods.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 12:18pm
It's funny seeing how good Dettori is overseas. I would not put him on in a capacity field canterbury maiden- he'd fark it up.LOL

Posted By: patsy fagan
Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 12:28pm
For starters anyone putting down Frankel is just being silly the horse was a sprinter miler who Henry Cecil said wouldve won the July Cup..he was never going to run over 2400m and it was a credit to the trainer that we saw him over 2000m.

Secondly Highland Reel 4 years ago on his start before coming to Australia was a 16/1 5th of 8 in Ireland beaten around 5 lengths by Golden Horn..he was not an elite 2090m horse at he time and Im not sure he ever was.A big striding dour horse who needed a long straight to outstay opponents,a 2400m specialist,whats relevant is that he was beaten by Criterion that day.At his best years later he was 2 to 3 lengths minimum superior to Criterion even over 2000m.

The point about Septimus is completely irrelevant the horse was ridden atrociously and was lame and nearly died,never to race again.Europe has proved beyond any doubt how far superior their stayers are in the melbourne cup.

Winx v cracksman v enable etc

Winx is a miler 2000m horse,Cracksman and Enable can win ocer 2000m but 2400m is their distance.Totally different horses, like Frankel Winx could win a July Cup and youd think Cracksman could win a melbourne cup if he didnt have 62kgs on his back.

As far as comparing jurisdictions blind freddie must realise that horses like Gailo Chop and Hartnell would not be the 2nd best wfa horse in Europe the depth in Australian middle distance racing is non existant..if Winx retired right now Gailo Chop would be the best 2000m wfa horse in Australasia and thats a tragedy really.
But that doesnt mean Winx isnt a freak , she is , but to me its like watching Dustin Johnson winning on the aussie tour every week by12, amazing but youd be saying how much youd like to see him on the pgatour to test himself.
Winx has outgrown Australian middle distance racing.

Over a mile nothing gets near her anywhere currentky theres no canford cliffs no kongsman no frankel no goldikova but over 2000m plus Cracksman and Enable are in a different league to anything shes ever faced.

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 12:31pm

Cracksman is no longer potential, He is the finished article, It is just a matter of producing the goods.

I was talking about potential champ djebel - when he gets the runs on the board. Two G1s is no basis for that label. A handful more is an entirely different matter. I wonder what rating they'd have given VAIN?

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 1:23pm
Some Poms have been known to enjoy the sunshine, better food and lifestyle down under Patsy, so much so that they stay LOL. How's your swing these days?

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 1:44pm
Patsy says the obvious truth- Euro middle distance horses here who compete against Winx were G2 at best back home. Do the Aussie trainers improve them markedly on what they were at home? Maybe there is a little of that, but if Aussie trainers were any good at improving stayers, why can't they do it with AU/NZ breds?

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 1:46pm

but I note that was Cracksman's first start out of restricted grade.
More rubbish Macca. Back to school for you. Champion Stakes last autumn was open class Gr1. And times are not relevant against the course record only. Headwinds, rain on the day, race pace, on the day same distance comparison, length of grass etc all play a factor.

You can't see the forest for the trees.
When considering times run, all these conditions are considered as to why one days times are "on fire" and other days very slow .
or --- why track bias comes into play.     There is many hours a day, every day , goes into "form study" and it is amazing how , The more study the luckier we become.

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 1:59pm

Patsy says the obvious truth- Euro middle distance horses here who compete against Winx were G2 at best back home. Do the Aussie trainers improve them markedly on what they were at home? Maybe there is a little of that, but if Aussie trainers were any good at improving stayers, why can't they do it with AU/NZ breds?

May I suggest the Aussie Punters prefer races to 1600m and the Tab holds support that.
Personally I have little interest in watching half paced plodders canter around. Pacemakers hahaha,   A few Hurdles or fences create some spectacle but give me our Sprinting races to bet on any day.
Maybe the prize money is so pizz poor overseas for that very reason.

We have our Melbourne Cup which has a world wide interest, but really , what is it ?
          A glorified Welter.

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by patsy fagan patsy fagan wrote:

For starters anyone putting down Frankel is just being silly the horse was a sprinter miler who Henry Cecil said wouldve won the July Cup..he was never going to run over 2400m and it was a credit to the trainer that we saw him over 2000m.

Secondly Highland Reel 4 years ago on his start before coming to Australia was a 16/1 5th of 8 in Ireland beaten around 5 lengths by Golden Horn..he was not an elite 2090m horse at he time and Im not sure he ever was.A big striding dour horse who needed a long straight to outstay opponents,a 2400m specialist,whats relevant is that he was beaten by Criterion that day.At his best years later he was 2 to 3 lengths minimum superior to Criterion even over 2000m.

The point about Septimus is completely irrelevant the horse was ridden atrociously and was lame and nearly died,never to race again.Europe has proved beyond any doubt how far superior their stayers are in the melbourne cup.

Winx v cracksman v enable etc

Winx is a miler 2000m horse,Cracksman and Enable can win ocer 2000m but 2400m is their distance.Totally different horses, like Frankel Winx could win a July Cup and youd think Cracksman could win a melbourne cup if he didnt have 62kgs on his back.

As far as comparing jurisdictions blind freddie must realise that horses like Gailo Chop and Hartnell would not be the 2nd best wfa horse in Europe the depth in Australian middle distance racing is non existant..if Winx retired right now Gailo Chop would be the best 2000m wfa horse in Australasia and thats a tragedy really.
But that doesnt mean Winx isnt a freak , she is , but to me its like watching Dustin Johnson winning on the aussie tour every week by12, amazing but youd be saying how much youd like to see him on the pgatour to test himself.
Winx has outgrown Australian middle distance racing.

Over a mile nothing gets near her anywhere currentky theres no canford cliffs no kongsman no frankel no goldikova but over 2000m plus Cracksman and Enable are in a different league to anything shes ever faced.

Patsy has returned from a spell .    He doesn't go well first up.
Still making excuses for Septimus.     He was one slow horse .

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 2:12pm

I was talking about potential champ djebel - when he gets the runs on the board. Two G1s is no basis for that label. A handful more is an entirely different matter. I wonder what rating they'd have given VAIN?

He is already a champion. That was officially sanctioned last year.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 2:20pm

Because ALL group 1 horses have speed, If an Aussie trainer has a unproven group 1 horse in their stable that horse will almost certainly be the fastest horse in the stable over any trip.

So what do they think they have on their hands ?

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 4:22pm
Let me start by saying that Cracksman is a very good horse.

Winx is a great horse.

Unlike many here i do not trust times as an overall perception of how good a race or horse is.

Like Atreus I believe in looking at margins...but in context, allowing for many different factors. 

But to play with the margins way of looking at form and relative abilities, let's look at Cracksmans latest win where he beat Cloth of Stars by 4.75L. Cloth of Stars. Cloth of Stars has raced Talismanic 3 times- beating him 0.4 L, 1.25L and being beaten by 1.75L. For all intents and purposes Cloth of Stars and Talismanic are fairly equal in ability.

Highland Reel has met Talismanic 3 times. HR has beat T by 1.6L and 17.3L and was beaten once by T by 0.75L. If we disregard the extent of the large margin and reduce the defeat to the previous 1.6L we can conservatively say that HR is a length better than T.

Extrapolating HR is 1L better than Cloth of Stars. Which then places Cracksman as 3.75L better than HR.

HR was beaten 5.5L by Winx. Therefore Winx is 1.75L better than Cracksman. No shame in that as Cracksman is young enough to improve further but let's wait and see how good he'll become and the thing I like is that he wasn't rushed off to stud after his 3yo career which is refreshing to see.

-------------
DiEM25 for the world.

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 4:36pm
Kav thats crazy because Cracksman was first up for 6 months and is much better over 2400m than 2000m..

Thats why this latest effort was so good because its nowhere near what he is capable of currently.

Why are we comparing a 2400m horse to a miler..

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 4:39pm

Kav thats crazy because Cracksman was first up for 6 months and is much better over 2400m than 2000m..

Thats why this latest effort was so good because its nowhere near what he is capable of currently.

How is he much better at 2400m ?

He is perfectly suitable over both trips.

His two best wins by far have been at 2000m and 2100m.

Both Cracksman and Winx are superstars at 2000m.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 4:45pm

Some Poms have been known to enjoy the sunshine, better food and lifestyle down under Patsy, so much so that they stay LOL. How's your swing these days?

It’s good thanks mate,love Australia :)

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 4:57pm
You can't see the forest for the trees.
You can't read a form guide so it doesn't matter how long you study it.

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 5:04pm

Patsy,
I was posting tongue in cheek because Atreus original post used raw margins and gave no semblance to any other variables. You can make times tell you anything you want and you can also make margins work out in your favour.

And as for Cracksman being 1st up-granted. But in almost every one of her wins Winx cruised and could have gone faster including the Cox Plate where she beat HR.

-------------
DiEM25 for the world.

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 5:17pm
In the same stable as Enable- that will be interesting.

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 5:24pm

In the same stable as Enable- that will be interesting.

Juddmonte have thrown out the challenge and hope to meet him in the King George and Queen Elizabeth Stakes in July. 

Cracksman is not defended a massive winning record and should I doubt connections are afraid of a challenge.

They may not want to bottom him out though early in the season. 

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 5:33pm
I’ve never typed a horses name so much as Highland Reel lol..

It’s 4 years ago I think it’s time she met a different and better Euro by now.

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 5:49pm
Nice exaggeration there Patsy - it was Oct 2015 and none of Europe's best has been game to come since. Can't blame them after they watched her demolish a field containing horses which had run not far behind a horse you may have heard of - Solow. As I've said previously, a defeat at the hands of a mare from the southern hemisphere wouldn't have looked good on the CV. It wouldn't be so bad now since the ratings people -including to their discredit, Timeform Au - have grudgingly conceded her true ability. Any rising 7 year old champions in Europe?

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 5:51pm

I’ve never typed a horses name so much as Highland Reel lol..

It’s 4 years ago I think it’s time she met a different and better Euro by now.

Sure, would be great to see her vs Cracksman or Enable. Cox Plate, Emirates or HK end of year but doubt they would travel that far despite the prizemoney just as Winx won't go the Arc for the prizemoney. No point going to UK for prizemoney-let's be honest, so either Paris or HK is only possible meeting point and unless one of the two Europeans lose their gloss they are unlikely to come to HK and Winx will not go to Paris. So before anyone says one is dodging the other let's say that the Euros are not going out of their way to challenge Winx.

-------------
DiEM25 for the world.

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 5:57pm
I disagree Djebel his main targets are all the top 2400m races and he’s a horse with a huge stride, Euro 2000m races might suit as its more stamina sapping but to me he just looks a powerhouse of a stayer.

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 5:58pm

Nice exaggeration there Patsy - it was Oct 2015 and none of Europe's best has been game to come since. Can't blame them after they watched her demolish a field containing horses which had run not far behind a horse you may have heard of - Solow. As I've said previously, a defeat at the hands of a mare from the southern hemisphere wouldn't have looked good on the CV. It wouldn't be so bad now since the ratings people -including to their discredit, Timeform Au - have grudgingly conceded her true ability. Any rising 7 year old champions in Europe?

But, not so long ago, on a thread about whether Winx should travel to Ascot, there were many posts about how travel can take it out of a horse and how they may not perform at their best, therefore she should not go.....yet Euro horses are supposed to go to Australia and always perform at their best, and are judged on those performances....a case of double standards it seems

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 6:06pm

I disagree Djebel his main targets are all the top 2400m races and he’s a horse with a huge stride, Euro 2000m races might suit as its more stamina sapping but to me he just looks a powerhouse of a stayer.

His next two targets are 2000m races, He may not see 2400m until the Arc. 

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 6:20pm
All Pom migrants are the 2nd best   lololol , Not only the horses.

There's another black eye for me.   I have a lot of friends in Pommy land .
Have a family 20 Mile from London CBD, visiting in July .   Haven't seen them since I housed about 9 of the insane B's ( Rugby supporters) in 2003.
   I paid a terrible price over that Wilkinson kick .    
It was great fun tho ,   It was a time to remember.

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 6:22pm

But, not so long ago, on a thread about whether Winx should travel to Ascot, there were many posts about how travel can take it out of a horse and how they may not perform at their best, therefore she should not go.....yet Euro horses are supposed to go to Australia and always perform at their best, and are judged on those performances....a case of double standards it seems

Probably true Morston (the posts bit) but for the most part the comments have usually been the other way in regard to our champs, mostly from locals I suspect. I acknowledge the difficulty of travel, just enjoy turning the argument around when it suits (the "truth" is somewhere in between no doubt). One of those Solow placers which Winx left in her wake improved enough to win the Mckinnon at his next start iirc. 

Europeans - sorry can't say that now, try Brits - arguing that Winx need to go OS to prove her worth (there are very few) have an exaggerated superiority complex. Aussies who do the same (there are more, but again not many) are cultural cringers. Sweeping statement but hey it's par for the course isn't it? 

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 6:31pm

Probably true Morston (the posts bit) but for the most part the comments have usually been the other way in regard to our champs, mostly from locals I suspect. I acknowledge the difficulty of travel, just enjoy turning the argument around when it suits (the "truth" is somewhere in between no doubt). One of those Solow placers which Winx left in her wake improved enough to win the Mckinnon at his next start iirc. 

Europeans - sorry can't say that now, try Brits - arguing that Winx need to go OS to prove her worth (there are very few) have an exaggerated superiority complex. Aussies who do the same (there are more, but again not many) are cultural cringers. Sweeping statement but hey it's par for the course isn't it? 

Fair enough

I think it is pointless trying to compare horses from different hemispheres...there are so many differences...just compare courses, for a start: my local courses, the two at Newmarket, have straights of 2000m and 1600m and are wide open spaces, both with an uphill finish...they are a world apart from the tight, turning Australian tracks where all the runners aim for the rail....this must have an effect on the horses, and there are many other variables.

Also, I just don’t hear these discussions over here....what happens to Winx seems of little importance to racegoers here....it seems to be an Australian thing to constantly compare and I don’t know why??

Still...it makes for some discussion and banter

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 6:39pm
Morston..   the inferior complex.   ???      Or maybe Patsy Fagan ruffles our feathers.
Travelling didn't seem to stop the Reel from battering them in the Hong Kong vase , a few weeks after Winx handed out a galloping lesson.

Winx is the best in the World , or any other small Country Town.   If you doubt that ....    Just ask me again ....

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 6:54pm

Fair enough

I think it is pointless trying to compare horses from different hemispheres...there are so many differences...just compare courses, for a start: my local courses, the two at Newmarket, have straights of 2000m and 1600m and are wide open spaces, both with an uphill finish...they are a world apart from the tight, turning Australian tracks where all the runners aim for the rail....this must have an effect on the horses, and there are many other variables.

Also, I just don’t hear these discussions over here....what happens to Winx seems of little importance to racegoers here....it seems to be an Australian thing to constantly compare and I don’t know why??

Still...it makes for some discussion and banter

Agree. Comparing hemispheres is easier now horses travel more but it's not definitive. We can acknowledge certain things but beyond that it's hypothetical at best. Even worse trying to compare champs from other eras.

With few exceptions we have vanilla courses, a focus on short course racing, and too many G1s which allow horses to avoid each other. UK's courses are far more interesting and daresay challenging.

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Morston..   the inferior complex.   ???      Or maybe Patsy Fagan ruffles our feathers.
Travelling didn't seem to stop the Reel from battering them in the Hong Kong vase , a few weeks after Winx handed out a galloping lesson.

Winx is the best in the World , or any other small Country Town.   If you doubt that ....    Just ask me again ....

A very nice turn of phrase that Macca LOL

Being World Champ would also entitle her to the PC (Planetary Champ) belt, the SSC belt, and probably the GC belt.

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 7:09pm
Well I will be at Newmarket on Saturday and Sunday for the 2000 and 1000 Guineas.

Perhaps we will see another world beater .....There is another son of Frankel in the 2000 Guineas called ‘Without Parole’ who I expect to turn out a to be very good horse.......maybe we will be discussing him in a year or two....or maybe not.

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 7:33pm
Didn’t Adelaide come over and won the cox plate or was that all a dream?

There’s no way horses like Enable and Cracksman are going to swerve the $10million Arc over 2400m to race over 2000m in Australia round a goat track.

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 7:41pm

Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

A very nice turn of phrase that Macca LOL

Being World Champ would also entitle her to the PC (Planetary Champ) belt, the SSC belt, and probably the GC belt.

TBM...We all know how pointless and unfair it is to try and compare Champions of different era's & Countries.    Impossible ,      Does keep the till ticking on the forum though and I love the humour that surfaces.
    I told Patsy Fagan years ago, that him trying to tell me anything about punting was like Him trying to tell Stirling Moss how to drive a car.

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 8:16pm

Didn’t Adelaide come over and won the cox plate or was that all a dream?

There’s no way horses like Enable and Cracksman are going to swerve the $10million Arc over 2400m to race over 2000m in Australia round a goat track.
Nice win even that, if there was less than a length between a half dozen of them. You do recall we had to give him access to "the ladies tee" to make him competitive tho Patsy? LOL 

Hopefully the feds will negotiate a better deal post Brexit for the reverse to also apply in future. Will Merchant Navy get an allowance at Ascot now he's trained by Aidan?

Date Posted: 02 May 2018 at 5:25am
I recall him clearly being the best horse in the race and not receiving the same weight allowance that Aussie 3 yr olds gets and still winning first time at the valley starting his run 1200m out 4 and and 5 wide the whole trip and having a monster bet ante post at 20/1..
That’s what I remember x
I also remember there were a dozen horses in Europe that year his equal or better :)

Date Posted: 02 May 2018 at 10:47am
Racehorses are annoyingly resistant to international comparisons. The tracks are so variable and good horses can run times close to or better than champions. Compare that to human athletics. If there is a dude in Australia whose best 400m time is 45.5 seconds and a dude in England whose best time is 44.0 seconds, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the English dude is the superior 400m runner. I don't need to see them race each.

Date Posted: 02 May 2018 at 1:13pm
He was a 4yo by sthn hemisphere time Patsy as well you know. Iirc you said you had a monkey on him and laid off half - an excellent return to go with a phenomenal win thundering down the outside. Smart betting, but in hindsight a bit soft for a self-confessed Europhobe (esp with the currency conversion you enjoyed playing with on R&S regarding prizemoney). LOL

Those were the days my friend.....

Date Posted: 02 May 2018 at 5:22pm

Hug

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: Red Rancher
Date Posted: 03 May 2018 at 12:18am
Adelaide won a weak Cox Plate by a nose and was lightly weighted. His lead up form coming an unlucky 3rd to Ectot in the Prix Neil who was a top Arc fancy was superb - that's why I backed him.

Euro horses seem to be constantly over rated against the rest of the world IMO. 99% that come to Aus with decent records in Group races can't even win our mid weeks.

Would back Winx any day in Aus against Enable or Cracksman. She has great stamina and a world class sprint. They wouldn't see which way she went.

Posted By: acacia alba
Date Posted: 03 May 2018 at 1:34am
Just to say,  re Red Ranchers post.   Lets look at some of the ones that have come from Europe for the Melb Cup.
Massive tickets on them.   Champions if you listen to the blurb.   Remember Double Trigger ??  No,,prolly not after his dismal run,,,, just for starters.   Cry   And the other one thats name escapes me, who was a world beater so they said, who ran last. 
How many has O'Brien sent out ?    Goldolphin ?   And others. 
Weld seems to know what it takes to travel a horse here and win,  but other than him,  naaah.
Winx would thrash them. 
BUT.
They are welcome to come out here and take her on .

-------------
animals before people.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net