Forum Description: General discussion about thoroughbred horse racing
URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=61143
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:39pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Nature Strip
Posted By: djebel
Subject: Nature Strip
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 2:39pm
I think they new what they have with this horse. He is clearly a talent.

NATURE STRIP (AUS)Chestnut gelding 2014 
Nicconi
Bay 2005
Bianconi
Bay or brown 1995
Danzig
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Bay 1961
Nearctic
Natalma
14-c
2-d
Pas de Nom
Bay or brown 1968
Admiral's Voyage
Petitioner
4-n
7-a
Fall Aspen
Chestnut 1976
Pretense
Bay or brown 1963
Endeavour
Imitation
8-g
3-i
Change Water
Chestnut 1969
Swaps
Portage
A4
4-m
Nicola Lass
Bay 1995
Scenic
Bay 1986
Sadler's Wells
Bay 1981
Northern Dancer
Fairy Bridge
2-d
5-h
Idyllic
Black 1982
Foolish Pleasure
Where You Lead
14-b
14-f
Dubai Lass
Chestnut 1988
Bletchingly
Brown 1970
Biscay
Coogee
2-o
7-a
Frivolous Lass
Bay 1978
In the Purple
Frivole
11-d
10-d
Strikeline
Chestnut 2000
Desert Sun
Bay 1988
Green Desert
Bay 1983
Danzig
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Pas de Nom
2-d
7-a
Foreign Courier
Bay 1979
Sir Ivor
Courtly Dee
8-g
A4
Solar
Chestnut 1973
Hotfoot
Brown 1966
Firestreak
Pitter Patter
2-e
1-w
L'Anguissola
Bay 1967
Soderini
Posh
5-e
10-b
Strike High
Bay 1989
Pre Emptive Strike
Chestnut 1982
Blushing Groom
Chestnut 1974
Red God
Runaway Bride
8-c
22-d
Queen Maud
Chestnut 1968
Nearctic
Vent Neurf
14-c
1-p
Flight Hostess
Bay 1977
Zamazaan
Chestnut 1965
Exbury
Toyama
2-f
7>
Robin's Flight
Brown 1968
Round Robin
Tiflis
2-e
16-a
 Ancestor duplications:Nearctic5m x 5f Northern Dancer4m,5m x 5m Danzig3m x 4m

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Replies:
Posted By: Sunline
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 3:33pm
I couldn't touch one from that stable at all, let alone odds on, but he looked a moral there and delivered.

He's every bit Group class.

-------------
Sunline...simply supreme

Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 3:45pm
I thought he'd get mowed down.  Smile

Posted By: Xavier
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 3:51pm
I’m guessing they’ll be doing the usual swabs on that one?

-------------
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes

Posted By: TJMitchell
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 4:01pm
Will most likely be staying in Aus too

Posted By: Tontonan
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 4:05pm
Curious term 'nature strip'.  It is one of the few things that Sydney and Melbourne have in common - and most other places don't.  

In Melbourne and Sydney the grassed area between the footpath and the kerb is a 'nature strip'.

In Perth and Adelaide (?) they call it the 'verge' or the 'verge lawn'.  

In Tassie the verge is the unmade edge of a road.  

I am told that in Brisbane they call the grassed area between the front of property and the roadway the 'footpath' where as everywhere else the footpath is usually a made concrete or sealed path that separates the front of a property from the nature strip or the verge. 

In Adelaide they put stobie poles on their verges.  They are peculiar people.

Posted By: 3blindmice
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 4:16pm
Many years since the family moved south but the vernacular used to be nature strip in Brisbane also.

First time I've seen him today and he's a very athletic horse, looks all over Group quality even though he's met nothing to date. Interesting to see how he goes in the next two which will see him in open class up the Flem straight then in Sydney where he'll meet even stronger opposition.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 5:08pm
Going by Racing.com he ran a track record today. They say TR 55.64. He ran 55.48.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 5:36pm
Live they said he was about half a second outside the class record.
Punters.com say the record is 55.07.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by TJMitchell TJMitchell wrote:

Going by Racing.com he ran a track record today. They say TR 55.64. He ran 55.48.

I always thought Cocinero held the track record at 55.64 but happy to be corrected.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 5:42pm
Whatever time he actually ran, he could have run it half a second quicker.

-------------
Sunline...simply supreme

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 5:47pm
Racing.com, ever on the ball. Slowest 1000m course record in history. Pretty sure I emailed RV about this before R.com was established.

Hillside
Distance
Horse Time Weight
Date
900mIl Cavallo
59kg
27/03/2013
1000m
Definitely Ready
56kg
16/09/2009

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 5:50pm
To hopefully put some perspective into it, possible prior record holder Cocinero won 9 races including two at stakes level, and was five times stakes placed.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 5:52pm
Certainly looked to have at least a couple of lengths up his sleeve Sunline.

Poet's Voice held it prior to Definitely Ready according to Racerate.

R&S horse records:

SANDOWN-HILLSIDE16 Sep 2009 
 Over Hcp (82) 1000m $30,000SOT=Good 
SecT=32.42 / RaceT=0:55.07 

FP Tb BM Horsewt Jockey (bp)TrainerSP 
1st 1.8L https://www.racingandsports.com.au/horse/definitely-ready-534674" rel="nofollow - DEFINITELY READY 56.0  https://www.racingandsports.com.au/jockey/michael-rodd-2351" rel="nofollow - MICHAEL RODD  (4)MARK KAVANAGH4-7 

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

I always thought Cocinero held the track record at 55.64 but happy to be corrected.

We've gone the same number there SC LOL

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 5:57pm
Just had another look at racerate and Cocinero has the Lakeside 1000m record SC.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 6:00pm
Thanks Blinder.  Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 6:06pm
Whatever the number may be, he's run time on his ear

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

To hopefully put some perspective into it, possible prior record holder Cocinero won 9 races including two at stakes level, and was five times stakes placed.

So the $64 dollar question might be "will Nature Strip ultimately outstrip Cocinero's record on the racetrack"?

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 6:12pm
Definitely Ready set the Sandown Hillside 1000m course record on 16 September 2009 in the first race on the card running 55.07 (laST 600 in 32.42) on a Good 3 with rail out 10m in the Over Super Vobis 0-82.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 6:17pm
Usually the 1000m course records are set with a prevailing northerly at their back but Nature Strip has run his 55.42 without wind assistance.  The breeze was E/SE  at 10-15kmh.  He was just simply quick. 

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 6:17pm
$64 (dollar)?  Heard way too often (about a thousand times too often) in the commercial media that one SC. Almost as annoying as chomping on the bit.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 6:19pm
As if I give a toss Blinder.  Big smile

Posted By: Passing Through
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 6:27pm
https://twitter.com/Racing" rel="nofollow -   More

Nature Strip was absolutely extraordinary today! Hear from Ryan Maloney and absorb this amazing data that compares him to Redzel.

http://twitter.com/Racing/status/950990084085489665" rel="nofollow - http://twitter.com/Racing/status/950990084085489665

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 6:49pm
Do you know what the $64,000 question was ?  
Sure, it was a TV game show in the 1950's, but what was the actual $64,000 question ?  

The show was very similar to Who wants to be a Millionaire (without lifelines and multiple choice) and contestants would move through various levels which the cash prize doubling each time until they reached the $64,000 question.  It was kind of rigged because the sponsors made sure contestants that weren't rating well were bumped.  

One such contestant was Dr.Joyce Brothers but every time they tried to bump her with harder questions she rose to the challenge until she reached the $64,000 question.  

There was a question card shuffling routine they went through but it was later revealed that all the cards were identical and the multi part question it contained... for 64 THOUSAND dollars was ....

1. What were the gloves of Roman gladiators in the Colosseum called?
2. Who was the first scientific boxer, heavyweight champion of England in 1791?
3. What was the name of the heavyweight champion of England who taught a famous poet the art of boxing?
4. Who wrote the famous essay ‘The Fight’ after having seen Bill Neat defeat Tom Hickman for the English heavyweight title in 1821, and what was Hickman’s nickname?
5. What was the full name of the Marquis of Queensberry, who set up the Queensberry rules?
6. In 1933, Primo Carnera defended the world heavyweight title abroad. Who was his opponent, and where did they meet?
7. How many times did Jack Dempsey floor Luis Firpo in their famous fight in New York? How long did the fight last, within 30 seconds?

Joyce got all seven questions right to claim the cash.

Posted By: max manewer
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 6:57pm
She sounds like a walking encyclopaedia, to answer all of that !

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 7:01pm
With thanks to Wiki:

Joyce Diane Brothers (October 20, 1927 – May 13, 2013) was an American  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychologist" rel="nofollow - psychologist , television personality and columnist, who wrote a daily newspaper  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advice_column" rel="nofollow - advice column  from 1960 to 2013. In 1955, she became the only woman ever to win the top prize on the American game show  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_$64,000_Question" rel="nofollow - The $64,000 Question , answering questions on the topic of boxing, which was suggested as a stunt by the show's producers. 

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 7:03pm
She is reputed to have had a photographic memory.  She was very famous for a time, a celebrity in her own right.  I remember her from TV in the 1960's when she used to pop up on game shows and tonight shows and sit coms.  

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 7:08pm
A sharp contrast to people on quiz shows today, many of whom wouldn't know if their arze was on fire.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 7:17pm
Her name is very familiar. Was she also syndicated to radio in Australia?  

Just read there were (uncorroborated) suggestions (aren't there always?) that she was given the answers by producers.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

Was she also syndicated to radio in Australia?  

Yes. a long time ago now.

Posted By: Baghdad Bob
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 7:31pm
Barry Jones, the former ALP member of the federal parliament, was somewhat similar to Joyce Brothers. He had a photographic memory and was the champ on Bob Dyer's Pick A Box. For rating purposes, I reckon the questions favoured him as he knew a great deal about history, geography, the arts etc, but if Dyer had asked him a question on sport he would have been clueless. Even if he had asked who took Phar Lap to the USA he would not have known .

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 7:40pm
Barry would often give "nuanced" answers to questions, to the mirth of the audience. " Well, if you mean the original 1697 edition of the book, rather than the later translation of 1702, the answer is........" For example.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 7:42pm
Barry never rose to the ministry, so far as I recall, despite a lengthy stay in parliament.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 7:46pm
Yes dear Barry, now Elder Statesman.  Despite all his "knowledge" and time in the House, was (and probably still is in his dotage) a total ass-hole.

That said after almost 20 years too many in his near proximity, and believe no amount of money would've persuaded me to mow his nature strip.  

But I digress...Embarrassed

Posted By: horlicks
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Barry never rose to the ministry, so far as I recall, despite a lengthy stay in parliament.

Minister of Science 1983 - 90

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by horlicks horlicks wrote:

Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Minister of Science 1983 - 90

I'd have lost a bet on that !

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 9:19pm
My source says :

"three years after her success, when the quiz show scandal broke big in the news, (circa ’58-’59), one of the accused producers, who had nothing to lose at that point, exonerated Dr. Brothers during testimony, stating that she was not assisted in any manner during her run for the 64K, (admitting others were)*

In fact, the producer added that any ‘cheating’ that may occurred involving Brothers, was in fact reversed. It seems Dr. Brothers was a ratings dud and mid-competition (the competition being spread over several weeks,) the producers decided that she needed to go, so they deliberately put together, in hope of tripping her up, a multi-part question dealing with only referees; but Brother’s was ready for them and answered all the questions easily.

Brother’s coach for the competition was Col. Edward Egan a former New York State boxing commissioner, but maybe more importantly was Dr. Brother’s relationship with Nat Fleischer. According to Fleischer, Brothers spent several weeks hunkered down in ‘The Ring Magazine’s’ New York offices studying over all the available resources, focusing on the Ring Record Book(s) as her main source.

In an interview, after the competition ended, Nat Fleischer hinted that Brother’s had some sort of eidetic memory, (not his word) stating that she could read a page of statistics and then repeat the page back almost verbatim; this she did with thousands of pages of information.

Otherwise Wikipedia's entry on the $64000 Question states :

"The relatively new but phenomenally popular  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dotto" rel="nofollow - Dotto , and then  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty_One_%28game_show%29" rel="nofollow - Twenty One , were found to have been rigged and were promptly canceled. A Challenge contestant, Rev. Charles Jackson, told the federal grand jury probing the quiz shows that he received answers during his screening for his appearance. That prompted Challenge's sponsor, the  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorillard_Tobacco_Company" rel="nofollow - Lorillard Tobacco Company  (Kent, Old Gold cigarettes), to drop the show.

The $64,000 Question had the opposite problem: sponsor  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revlon" rel="nofollow - Revlon —possibly under pressure from its chieftain, Charles Revson, who has been credited with expressing the desire for famous faces that prompted Challenge's expansion to include celebrities—often tried to interfere with the production of Question, including and especially trying to bump contestants it simply disliked, no matter whether the audience liked them. Revson's brother, Martin, was assigned to oversee Question–including heavy discussions of feedback the show received. The would-be bumpees included Joyce Brothers herself, who managed to outwit the question writers and Revlon long enough to win the maximum prize.

According to producer Joe Cates in a PBS documentary on the scandals, he used an IBM sorting machine to give the illusion that the questions were randomly selected – in fact, all of the cards were identical. Since all of the buttons were on one line  they were mostly for show."

So it seems Joyce has been unfairly labeled a cheat probably because all quiz shows suffered a massive credibility crisis in the late 1950's when they became subject of New York Grand Jury and a Congressional subcommittee which resulted in a change tot he Communications Act in 1960 to prohibit game shows from being fixed. 

It had only been after a 1954 Supreme Court ruling that game shows were not a form of gambling that the game show boom took place on American TV. Within 5 years they were subject of scandal and disrepute but Joyce seems to have escaped unscathed. 

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 9:36pm
50 years ago it was Coles' $6000 Question. Anyone who fell at the last hurdle would get a HR Holden sedan as the consolation prize. Imagine what one of those would be worth in mint condition, today !

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 9:43pm
It goes without saying that Barry was light years ahead of the current Minister for Science.

Saw him in the Manuka newsagent decades ago getting his regular pickup of about a dozen magazines - he was a huge devourer of both books and mags apparently.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 10:00pm
Gotta say, that quiz with all the boxing questions, seems an absurdity, but amazingly she answers them. Mind boggling.

Posted By: Shawy38
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 3:18pm
Reportedly rejected an offer of $2.5 million

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

He's a gelding.

He's a sprinter

I think they are telling porkies.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 3:41pm

Not sure he'd pass the vet

Posted By: Bi Carb
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

He's a gelding.

He's a sprinter

I think they are telling porkies.

Steady there young fella , this crowd are as honest as the day is long.
And the board released a statement saying so too , so its got to be true.
LOLConfusedClap

Posted By: Carioca
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 5:40pm
Dunno whether to laugh or cry at that bi- carb, but I'm still on the floor over these charges
so much so that for the first time for a very long time I hav'nt watched a Melb. race for 2 days and I don't know whether I want to again.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Dunno whether to laugh or cry at that bi- carb, but I'm still on the floor over these charges
so much so that for the first time for a very long time I hav'nt watched a Melb. race for 2 days and I don't know whether I want to again.

Mate , those of us around the traps have known of these practices for years and years.
A lot of the stables practicing this stuff have eased right back , even Hall Of Famers that cant get out of their own road nowadays have eased off.
It was epidemic before the clear day rules came in.
Gotta hand it to Big Bobby though , a traditionalist through and through.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Bi Carb Bi Carb wrote:

Mate , those of us around the traps have known of these practices for years and years.
A lot of the stables practicing this stuff have eased right back , even Hall Of Famers that cant get out of their own road nowadays have eased off.
It was epidemic before the clear day rules came in.
Gotta hand it to Big Bobby though , a traditionalist through and through.

The point that sticks in my craw is with the cobalt fiasco going on for the last 5 years these blokes have been milkshaking right under their noses up until a month or two ago,
and it being a masking agent what else has been added to the mix, still couldn't care less any more mate, been out of the game too long and might have 3 or 4 bets a year that'll do
me, if RV is fair dinkum 3-5 years minimum and no less seems about right.

Posted By: Shrunk in the Wash
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 4:05pm
Surely Smerdon gets life

Posted By: Gay3
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 4:43pm
Guys/gals there's another established thread for most of this regurgitation, please use it Stern Smile

-------------
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Guys/gals there's another established thread for most of this regurgitation, please use it Stern Smile

You are off topic Gay.

🤔

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 4:46pm
Am totally with Gay on this one.  Star

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 5:16pm
Yep, I think I deserve a yellow card, don't forget Gay3 2 yellows on the same day = red card, so gone fishing 2 weeks, 5 yellows different days = red card, fishing rules applies.
and for me , well I'm fair dinkum guilty, have done it on a number of threads, so looks like I'm an habitual barstad too.

Posted By: MJB
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 1:15am
With Smerdon stepping down, someone is going to pick up a very, very promising horse. I would say Henry Dwyer would be the most suited from the incoming trainers.

Whoever it is, l hope they target the Oakleigh Plate. Perfect race for this horse.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 11:50am
Would need to improve his rating by 10-20 points to get into that race.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 12:07pm
He'd have the Australia Stakes, Manfred, Rubiton before the Plate to try and get his rating up

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 1:22pm
Will be trained by R Hickmott for the next three weeks before joining John Sadler

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 1:31pm
The bloke who rode him on debut is improving almost as rapidly as Nature Strip.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 1:39pm

The bloke who rode him on debut is improving almost as rapidly as Nature Strip.

I can't agree. He's got a long way to go. Watch his ride on Pinkish at Stony Creek. He cost the horse the win. The last couple of hundred metres was just laughable. Should have won in a canter. Surely the old man can teach him to use the whip in the left hand?

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 1:56pm
Mate we see the finished articles butchering them all the time.

When Poy rode Nature Strip on debut he was no more than a passenger.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 2:00pm

I think that was his first ride wasn’t it? Nice horse to ride any day let alone at your first meeting

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 2:23pm

I realise that but this wasn't a typical butcher. The horse had hit the front and was about to pull away and then it all went pear shaped because he didn't know how to use the whip in the left hand. All that is required is basic horsemanship. Jockeys should not be able to ride until they learn this. Makes you wonder what Hyland and Pumpa are doing. Horses laying in and racing ungenerously are a common occurrence and jockeys need to learn early on how to best overcome this.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 2:56pm
If they drop their irons a hole or two they may then learn to ride hands and heels, until then riding with their knees up under their chin and not enough toe in the irons they will forever be making mistakes.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by MJB MJB wrote:

I realise that but this wasn't a typical butcher. The horse had hit the front and was about to pull away and then it all went pear shaped because he didn't know how to use the whip in the left hand. All that is required is basic horsemanship. Jockeys should not be able to ride until they learn this. Makes you wonder what Hyland and Pumpa are doing. Horses laying in and racing ungenerously are a common occurrence and jockeys need to learn early on how to best overcome this.

Hyland hasn’t been at the apprentice school for 12 months.
Darren Gauci has the gig

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 3:12pm

Ill have to watch it.

All I can obviously say is he has looked good in the rides I have seen.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: horseshoe
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 2:55pm
Handy pick-up for John Sadler (when he returns from suspension)

-------------
Those who know don't tell, Those who tell don't know

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 7:18pm

If they drop their irons a hole or two they may then learn to ride hands and heels, until then riding with their knees up under their chin and not enough toe in the irons they will forever be making mistakes.

Try about 5 holes.
Its comical how short they ride now.

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 7:31pm

Ill have to watch it.

All I can obviously say is he has looked good in the rides I have seen.

Just watched that race and I agree he butchered that, he should have won clearly and certainly lost his way. However that would have been about his 70th ride.

He may have made similar stuff ups since but as a generalisation I like what I see.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 7:46pm
https://www.racenet.com.au/news/new-direction-for-boom-sprinter-nature-strip-20180116

New direction for boom sprinter Nature Strip

New direction for boom sprinter Nature StripBoom sprinter Nature Strip will now target Group I glory. Photo: Darryl Sherer

Article Author

Tom Baddock

The former  https://www.racenet.com.au/trainer/robert-smerdon" rel="nofollow - Robert Smerdon -trained Nature Strip is now being targeted for Group I glory in the autumn.

The boom three-year-old will next step out at Flemington on Saturday in the $250,000 Inglis Dash (1100m) in his first run down the straight en route to the Group I Oakleigh Plate.

“It is a lot of cabbage isn’t it,” part-owner Rod Lyons told radioTAB.

“It is a great promotion by Inglis for sure.

“He’s never been down the straight but I do know that Robert Smerdon and Ryan Maloney both feel that the straight will suit him.

“He’s a big strider and he just struggled a bit and lost a bit of momentum all his starts coming around the turn.

“He’s such a big strider and goes so quickly that they think the straight will really suit him.

“He’s still very inexperienced and he has shifted in a bit when they have gone for him but hopefully he is six in front at that stage and it won’t matter."

After his enormously impressive win at Sandown Hillside mid-weeks the son of Nicconi is expected to start a long odds-on favourite.

“I’m sure he’ll be pretty short,” Lyons said.

“I think if he turns up in the form he was in at Sandown I don’t think there will be any betting really.”

A trip to Sydney to chase further Inglis bonus riches, and a possible a clash with Golden Slipper heroine  https://www.racenet.com.au/horse/she-will-reign" rel="nofollow - She Will Reign , has been put on hold after a change of heart by the ownership group.

“There’s a push now that maybe he stays in Melbourne for the Rubiton and then runs in the Oakleigh Plate,” Lyons said.

“He gets 53kg in the Rubiton and he’d have to win the Rubiton to get in the Oakleigh Plate and if he did win the Handicaper is saying he would only get 50-51kg in the Oakleigh Plate.”

“There’s a big push from the majority of the owners to go that way.”

The advantage of running with a featherweight in a major Group I sprint was enough to sway the owners of Nature Strip to roll the dice against the more seasoned sprinters.

“The original thought was stay in three-year-old company while you can – there’s plenty of races later on, plenty of handicaps but there was a push from the guys to say that he is only three once and we’re never going to get into those handicaps with that kind of weight again,” Lyons said.

“If he is half as good as we think he is he isn’t going to get the chance.

“He’s inexperienced and to take on those old, seasoned tough sprinters in those races would be hard but of course he has the big weight advantage and he’s got the potential, why not have a throw at the stumps?”

Regular rider Ryan Maloney wouldn’t be able to make the 51kg to ride in the Oakleigh Plate with  https://www.racenet.com.au/jockey/craig-williams" rel="nofollow - Craig Williams  cited as the likely replacement.

“We are trying to get the best jockey at that weight – Craig Williams has ridden for us before and I don’t know many of that calibre who can ride at that weight – there’s not many,” Lyons said.

The Group II Rubiton Stakes (1100m) is to be run on February 10 with the Group I Oakleigh Plate scheduled for February 24.

Posted By: horseshoe
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 3:15pm
$1.55 for Inglis Dash,
He will be having his first start for caretaker trainer Robert Hickmott

-------------
Those who know don't tell, Those who tell don't know

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 7:15pm
Doea Hickmott know how to train a sprinter ?

🤔

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: marble
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 9:08pm
hickmott might be able to train a sprinter but not lloyd

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 1:52pm
Not sure they'd need to do much with him anyway

Posted By: Magnolian Khan
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 4:38pm
I’m in shock
Hickmott can speak!!!

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 4:43pm
Not a straight horse. No chance against seasoned group 1 horses up the straight

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 4:48pm
Got the job done but I agree. Ran in/out under pressure at level weights.

Posted By: SHOVHOG
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 6:59pm
Nice win. Did it on raw talent without being really pushed. First 3 across the finish line should all win plenty of races.

-------------
" In gambling the many must lose in order for the few to win"

Posted By: maccamax
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 7:45pm
The win was smart and in good sprint time for the day .
He will win plenty.     Too good for them with the experience.

( Last Week ) broke into the Open ranks over 2500 in smart run.
He will go on to win better Staying races.

Posted By: JudgeHolden
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 7:38pm
I usually despise these restricted sales races but I think the first three in that race might be pretty smart. Bravo Tango home in 32.75.

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 9:02pm
I thought the 4th horse was very good, might not be in the same class as the trifecta but he’ll be one to follow in a mid week race next time out

Posted By: Phantom
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 8:21am
Going to stick to tackling his own age now. Heading to Sydney to take on She Will Reign in the Inglis race up there.

-------------
The More You Put On, The More You Get Back

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 8:39am
She Will reign will eat him alive

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 11:46am
Probably. He's good but she's (likely) exceptional.  No denying the numbers but Sandown is a track which exaggerates performances imo

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 12:03pm
The velodrome like banked home turn is what makes short course times what they are and can be quite flattering, Rollick I remember ran something like 55 1/2 for 1000, over 40 years ago ( well I'm pretty certain)

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 12:21pm
Not just times Carioca. Margins and finishing efforts are regularly exaggerated for some reason at Sandown in my opinion - which admittedly is based on nothing more than observation over the years

Don't get me wrong - I think Nature Strip's a fine horse with great ability but talking open G1s based on his Sandown run is a wee bit premature. 3yos do get in light in the key handicaps though.

Posted By: linghi11
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 12:25pm
How will it perform without Smerdon’s “polish”? Or is the substitute just as keen on Aquanita ways? Surely everyone’s expecting a drop in form for the former Smerdon horses

-------------
to the victor

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 12:26pm
Agree with all the above: his Sandown measures come with an asterisk, although they do sometimes stand up out of those numbers at Sandown, but often they don't, and She Will Reign will be a new pain level for him. I couldn't see him beating her assuming the race is set weights.

-------------
Sunline...simply supreme

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 12:45pm
As She Will Reign gets older she will be looking for longer.

If this is not a high pressure race than Nature Strip might be better suited.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 1:14pm
Inglis Sprint (restricted) is 1100m, set wts, 56/54kg. Only worth $250K this year, up to $1M in 2019!

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 1:46pm
She should start fave an win. If they put him up fave I will be backing her.

-------------
Sunline...simply supreme

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 2:08pm
I’m hoping everyone backs Nature Strip, so I can get a better price on She Will Reign

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 3:15pm
More likely to be the reverse with NS getting out to a silly price MK. 

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 2:14pm
The Holy Seal win today puts another feather in Natures Strip's hat.

Very smart is our N.S.    

Posted By: Xavier
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 2:19pm
Hong Kong offer of $3 million apparently

-------------
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 2:23pm
Take it.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 3:05pm

Take it.

NEVER.

He's something Very Special.

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 5:05pm
Don't think he'd pass the vet. 3/5 roarer apparently

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 6:27pm

Don't think he'd pass the vet. 3/5 roarer apparently

Rumoured to be erratic in running and in need of experience.
Anything official about Physical problems ...     Roarers are sometimes from excitement ( So the good book says )
   This is a real racehorse .. Shame if all isn't well.

Posted By: VOYAGER
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 7:20pm
Stand to be corrected, but I can absolutely guarantee you, that Pierata is a much more high grade ownership option than this guy.

If I owned him I would be taking the $3 million as well!

-------------
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise

Posted By: SHOVHOG
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 9:03pm
The Pierata offer was only a million before his first up run. Once I heard that I punted up and didn't look back haha.

-------------
" In gambling the many must lose in order for the few to win"

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net