Print Page | Close Window

Murder

Printed From: Thoroughbred Village
Category: Community - Public Forums
Forum Name: Laundry Basket
Forum Description: Dirty laundry and general trash. Please DO NOT read this forum if you are easily offended. Enter at your own risk!
URL: http://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=60853
Printed Date: 16 Dec 2018 at 5:46am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Murder
Posted By: JoanFerguson
Subject: Murder
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 2:29pm
Why is so much MURDER happening these days.

Replies:
Posted By: max manewer
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 2:33pm
Godlessness

Posted By: djebel
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 2:34pm
I blame Game Of Thrones.

-------------

STRIKE WHILST THE IRON IS HOT

reductio ad absurdum

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 2:36pm
I do not understand why MURDERERS are glorified

Julian Knight for example, why does he continue to get air time

Posted By: Passing Through
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 2:40pm
There were 238 reported murder victims in Australia during 2014, compared to 245 in 2013. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Australia#cite_note-:1-7" rel="nofollow - [7]

In Australia during 2014:

• The murder victimisation rate fell to a five-year low of 1.0 victim per 100,000 persons;
  • Nearly two in three victims of murder (61% or 146 victims) were male;
  • The proportion of murder victims was largest for males aged between 35 and 44 years (16% or 38 victims) and males aged between 25 and 34 years (11% or 27 victims);
  • Two in three murders (66% or 158 victims) occurred at a residential location;
  • Of weapons used in murder, a knife was the most common (44% or 69 victims); and
  • Over three-quarters (77%) of all murder investigations (184 victims) were finalised by police within 30 days.

-------------

Posted By: furious
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 2:40pm
Don't quote me but it seems to me that there are no such things as accidents these days.  Everyone want to and do blame someone.  Often a blameless victim of bad luck.  But with this mentality you get people who feel they have been wronged and they want payback.

I know on the road you can't have a wrong call.  We came out onto the motorway near home one day and must of come in to close to the car on the road.  He came around us and pushed us off the road.  We had 8 people in the van and my husband didn't see him.  Honest mistake.  But the person felt he had been wronged and took payback.  It could of killed any of us or all of us.  I'm sure he didn't think of that - it was spur of the moment.

So we have to start teaching out kids how to forgive each other when things go wrong.  We all make mistakes,

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 2:43pm
Statistics rather dubious, in an era where people go missing in droves. They were either suicides, murders, or alien abductions, I'd say a great many are murders. Suicides don't bury themselves, typically.

Posted By: Whale
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by JoanFerguson JoanFerguson wrote:

total nonsense

-------------
Don't waste time on past disagreements, find new ones to fight over

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

Originally posted by JoanFerguson JoanFerguson wrote:

total nonsense

It's not nonsense.
Working in a prison system, you see all sorts of fan mail, love letters etc for CONVICTED MURDERERS

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

Don't quote me but it seems to me that there are no such things as accidents these days.  Everyone want to and do blame someone.  Often a blameless victim of bad luck.  But with this mentality you get people who feel they have been wronged and they want payback.<div id="UMS_TOOLTIP" style=": ; cursor: pointer; : 2147483647; : transparent; top: -100000px; left: -100000px;">

I know on the road you can't have a wrong call.  We came out onto the motorway near home one day and must of come in to close to the car on the road.  He came around us and pushed us off the road.  We had 8 people in the van and my husband didn't see him.  Honest mistake.  But the person felt he had been wronged and took payback.  It could of killed any of us or all of us.  I'm sure he didn't think of that - it was spur of the moment.

So we have to start teaching out kids how to forgive each other when things go wrong.  We all make mistakes,

There are a whole raft of reasons why civility has declined, but decline it has.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 2:49pm

It's not nonsense.
Working in a prison system, you see all sorts of fan mail, love letters etc for CONVICTED MURDERERS[/QUOTE]

total rubbish, a miniscule % are turned on by and glorify them, there are always nutters around, of one type of another  Jean Wink

-------------

Posted By: Magnolian Khan
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 2:51pm
pot
Kettle

Joany

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 2:55pm
Whale seems to know what mail they get in prison, may be "The Freak" !

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 2:57pm

Why do we glorify serial killers and psychopaths/sociopaths?

https://www.quora.com/profile/Ari-Ben-Melech" rel="nofollow - Ari Ben-Melech , I studied criminal psychology (profiling) as a graduate and undergrad.
https://www.quora.com/Why-do-we-glorify-serial-killers-and-psychopaths-sociopaths/answer/Ari-Ben-Melech" rel="nofollow - Answered Jan 29, 2016
https://www.quora.com/Why-do-we-glorify-serial-killers-and-psychopaths-sociopaths#" rel="nofollow -

I don't think most of us do. I studied for and went into a career studying serial killers and their behavior. I never glorified them...far from it. I went to school with the son of a serial killer. I was young but I knew there was something "odd" about his crimes. People were talking more than usual. I researched it (as much as a child can) and became fascinated. It was a crime I didn't understand. I actually still don't though I have researched serial killers, their crimes, psychopathology and behaviors now for years. I can tell you many things about them but not why they do it. They cannot even articulate it well. Dahmer was lonely, as was Dennis Nilsen but they are the exception (perhaps the motivation is actually not exceptional but the ability to convey the reason for their crimes is unusual). Ted Bundy summed up the reason for his killings to a prison guard by saying "I enjoyed it. It was fun".

I think we are fascinated by things we don't understand and many Americans are interested in darker more morbid elements of life and thus, our interest in serial killers.

A person glorifying them however, would be a cause for alarm. These are not heroes and not people to be respected. Adam Lanza was clearly glorifying mass murderers before he embarked on his own murder spree. Glorifying murderers of any kind is a sign of trouble but wanting to understand such an unusual and "evil" pattern of behavior is human nature to a degree. We simply seek to understand something.

When I first got my hands on the file of John Gacy (the one from the original lawyer who he confessed to), I thought there might be some glimmer of a reason. Something. Anything. In a way, I suppose, there was. Everything said, written and transcribed was cold and utterly devoid of feeling. The diagram he drew of the crawl space was extremely precise but could have just as easily have been a car park or drawing of a office building. Nothing suggested that these were bodies that had once been living and breathing, and were placed there by him. He could not even fake remorse. Ted Bundy was able to fake it, towards the end. Danny a Rolling was able to fake it. Not Gacy.

I was once at a conference at a hotel and some people in the jacuzzi were talking to me. They asked the normal questions people do and when they got to my background, they perked up. They were very interested in serial killers. These were mostly middle aged and older men and women. They did not glorify serial killers. They wanted to understand. Their questions were not "Ewwww, what do the bodies look like" as a 12 year old might ask but more analytical. "Do most suffer physical abuse and could that cause physical/neurological damage." "Do all serial killers meet the threshold for sociopathy or are other diagnoses (or lack of any diagnoses) just as common?" "Why do more men kill violently and women passively?". The questions went on and on but clearly none of them glorified the killers.

TV and media feature them because we are fascinated by behavior so different from our own, that we tune in. At least many people do (I personally don't care for such shows very much)

So personally, I would not use the word "glorify". I don't think most people do. 

Quora 

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Whale seems to know what mail they get in prison, may be "The Freak" !

no max, read the posts, I was responding to this

It's not nonsense.
Working in a prison system, you see all sorts of fan mail, love letters etc for CONVICTED MURDERERS

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 3:05pm
Well, if fergo says that murderers in jail get lots of mail from "fans", who are we to contradict, unless we work there ?

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 3:07pm

Statistics rather dubious, in an era where people go missing in droves. They were either suicides, murders, or alien abductions, I'd say a great many are murders. Suicides don't bury themselves, typically.

Of course some are just people wanting a "fresh start", but that sounds very difficult today with ID requirements needed everywhere.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 3:10pm

Of course some are just people wanting a "fresh start", but that sounds very difficult today with ID requirements needed everywhere.

They are ABS statistics for confirmed murders only Suicides manslaughters and missing persons etc. are in different categories

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 3:10pm

Well, if fergo says that murderers in jail get lots of mail from "fans", who are we to contradict, unless we work there ?

Sounds like Fergo forgot her meds this morning

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 3:13pm

geez you are an annoying, argumentative bore, who was contradicting it Confused

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

geez you are an annoying, argumentative bore, who was contradicting it Confused

You did !

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 3:22pm
no i contradicted her conclusion that fan mail means as a society we idolise murderers, did not contradict the fact of the mail.

come on you wise man, "academic", even you can see the difference LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 3:33pm
Not so, this what was said.....

Fergo: It's not nonsense.

Whale:
total rubbish, a miniscule % are turned on by and glorify them, there are always nutters around, of one type of another Jean

So you read the letters, Mr Whale ?

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 3:36pm
What percentage of the population do you reckon would send fan-mail to serial killers max?

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 3:40pm

Not so, this what was said.....

Fergo: It's not nonsense.

Whale:
total rubbish, a miniscule % are turned on by and glorify them, there are always nutters around, of one type of another Jean

So you read the letters, Mr Whale ?

keep it up dumb a ss ,your ridiculous comments reflect accurately upon you Thumbs Up  Arguing for the sake of it

24 million people in Australia, I wonder how many million love letters they get LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 3:43pm
Fergo did not say people in general idolised murderers, or it was not a small %, so read it again.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 3:46pm
''I do not understand why MURDERERS are glorified''

Pretty broad I reckon

-------------

Posted By: oneonesit
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 3:46pm
What's were the names of Ivan Milats victims !

-------------
Give peace a chance

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

What percentage of the population do you reckon would send fan-mail to serial killers max?

Very few, but the phenomenon is not "total nonsense".

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 3:54pm
I've always wanted to meet a serial killer.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 4:01pm
Anyone who thinks people watch shows like "Underbelly" out of academic interest, need a better explanation. There is a vicarious element in identifying with ruthless gangsters "living large", untroubled by moral qualms, and (seemingly) fear of apprehension. More than a few watching, are wannabes.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 4:05pm

Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Very few, but the phenomenon is not "total nonsense".

Nobody said it was nonsense,just not common and not normal  I think Whale was referring to something else. Ivan Milat gets fanmail from women around the world apparently, as do people like Charles Manson.  

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net