Forum Description: General discussion about thoroughbred horse racing
URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=59873
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 12:12am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Gailo Chop
Posted By: tillyras
Subject: Gailo Chop
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 4:51pm

Terry Henderson is counting down the days until Group 1 winner https://www.racing.com/horses/gailo-chop-fr" rel="nofollow - Gailo Chop returns to the racetrack, with the gifted import set to join https://www.racing.com/trainers/darren-weir" rel="nofollow - Darren Weir's Warrnambool stable in the coming weeks.

The six-year-old hasn't been sighted since an unplaced run behind Postponed in last year's Sheema Classic (2400m) in Dubai but the OTI Racing chief reported the talented gelding had all but overcome the tendon injury that had sidelined him for more than 12 months.

"He's about four weeks away from going down to Weiry's stable at Warrnambool," Henderson said. "I think the beach will suit the horse.

"He's been through a tendon rehabilitation process with Lee Evison at Longwarry and all the signs are good.

"He's in the final stages of his recovery but, fingers crossed, he'll be back racing in the spring."

Gailo Chop arrived in Melbourne for the 2015 Spring Racing Carnival under the care of French horseman https://www.racing.com/trainers/antoine-de-watrigant-fr" rel="nofollow - Antoine De Watrigant , for whom he'd won six Stakes races in France prior to his triumph in the G1 Mackinnon Stakes (2000m) at Flemington.

WATCH: Gailo Chop's 2015 Mackinnon Stakes win

That 2000m Group 1 - now the Emirates Stakes (2000m) - will again be the likely target for the galloper this year with Henderson keen to explore options that would likely avoid a clash with champion mare Winx.

"It's always a different scene when they come from Europe and you don't really know they are going to adapt to our training styles but I think being down at the beach will suit the horse," he said.

"I would like to think that he'd be up to some weight-for-age 2000m races in the spring and obviously there's the Mackinnon Stakes but it will probably depend on what Winx does.

"In terms of where he kicks off, we'll just have to wait and see what he's like early in the spring."

OTI Racing have made a business out of purchasing and developing and importing European-bred horses for long-term success in Australia and their 2017 crop of horses presents as one of the most exciting yet.

Henderson nominated Manangatang and Araaja as lightly-raced horses he would love to see progress to the three-year-old classics in the UK and France, while the Andre Fabre-trained Le Juge is another he believes can establish himself as a genuine Stakes contender this season.

"We've got a great team in Europe this year," he said.

"There are about three or four of them that do look as though they could be Group quality so it's quite an exciting time for our owners."

Replies:
Posted By: SkyDancer
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 1:36am
I see he is ticking along nicely down at Warrnambool, Will be set for the 2000m race at Flemington (Emirates)They are just hoping that Winx doesn't turn up

Posted By: Shawy38
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 2:09pm
Looking forward to seeing him fire in about 3 runs. Will not see which way they go today, but one to follow later on over further

Posted By: Magnolian Khan
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 6:58pm
Big spruik over here in SA for this horse

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 7:03pm
Money was spot on

Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 7:14pm
What price was bet?  He was a near certainty at the weights if right.

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 7:15pm
Saw $13

Was $10 into 6.5 in the last 10 minutes

Posted By: max manewer
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 7:18pm
Hope you cleaned up mango.

Posted By: 3blindmice
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 7:20pm
Weir put out the slows for it on Trackwork. LOL

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Magnolian Khan Magnolian Khan wrote:

Saw $13  Was $10 into 6.5 in the last 10 minutes

Thanks "Greg".  That's a huge price for a million dollar earner.

Posted By: Gay3
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

Listening to all his interviews, he clearly hasn't a clue & it's not a question of pulling the wool over punters' eyes.
BHB & Voodoo Lad both needed another run in his opinion but the 'boys' at W/bool had huge raps on VL. His BB for the day was Handsome Thief EW so I guess he was right there but I think this is why so many of his horses drift.

-------------
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!

Posted By: Carioca
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 8:42pm
Absolutely bolting coming to the corner, long time since I saw a horse travelling so easy , might have a profitable spring if can stay sound.

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Listening to all his interviews, he clearly hasn't a clue & it's not a question of pulling the wool over punters' eyes.
BHB & Voodoo Lad both needed another run in his opinion but the 'boys' at W/bool had huge raps on VL. His BB for the day was Handsome Thief EW so I guess he was right there but I think this is why so many of his horses drift.
He's pretty up front but there wouldn't be a trainer around who doesn't hold back a little for the connections Gay. Maybe Mick Price the exception. A touch of the DHayes/Dab though. DHayes is a good judge in his previews, TDab not so much. Waller gives sfa imo.

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 9:02pm
Hayes is like Gai imo, they'll all win LOL but unlike you, I've had more luck following Tom.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 9:51pm
He went well again today, unsure what he is being set for, but he is going super!

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 5:04pm
Another tough run

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by Magnolian Khan Magnolian Khan wrote:

Another tough effort

Posted By: VOYAGER
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 5:23pm
Can not wait to see him back at Flemington over 2000m. I hope so anyway, seems everyone is aiming at the Caulfield Cup, but love him in the Emirates/Mackinnon.

-------------
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

Can not wait to see him back at Flemington over 2000m. I hope so anyway, seems everyone is aiming at the Caulfield Cup, but love him in the Emirates/Mackinnon.

Think that’s the aim

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 4:54pm
Machine, love this horse
Off to the Cox Plate to run 2nd

Posted By: scamanda
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 5:01pm
OTI having a good day.

-------------
I started with nothing and still have most of it left

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 11:32am
He is in career best form, comfortably finishes 2nd today

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 2:04pm
Should be to good for them ?

Posted By: djebel
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 2:06pm
How can anything beat a newly minted gelded Harlem ?

Gelding him should be the answer to all the problems he did not have.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: Sunline
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 2:14pm
Should be winning here. Controls the race.

-------------
Sunline...simply supreme

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 2:19pm
He is a good horse

Posted By: Bonfield
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 2:33pm
Was obviously very forward in condition today. Looks on track for the Australian Cup. I'd like to see him have another run but owners suggested he wouldn't.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 2:50pm
Being targeted towards Sydney, especially if it rains.
Will be avoiding Winx

Posted By: Prince of Penzance
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 5:29pm
Aus Cup is his

Posted By: Jamal
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 5:34pm
A C-Grader in Europe and has done well in Australia. Thats how strong the European strength is.

-------------
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

A C-Grader in Europe and has done well in Australia. Thats how strong the European strength is.

C grade? Don’t think so.

Posted By: JudgeHolden
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 5:38pm
Flying. How do they beat him in the Oz Cup?

Posted By: horlicks
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 5:40pm
Group 2 winner in Europe so hardly a C grader

Posted By: Nick
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 5:41pm
Humidor not running?

Posted By: Nick
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 5:42pm
Not nominated

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Prince of Penzance Prince of Penzance wrote:

U
C grade? Don’t think so.

It was a typo...I meant to say *B-Grader*

-------------
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers

Posted By: Shrunk in the Wash
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 5:45pm

C grader
lightly raced over there, going through his grades. Last start in the U.K. He pushed the superstar Sowlow.
If he was still over there he'd be top class by now

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

C grader
lightly raced over there, going through his grades. Last start in the U.K. He pushed the superstar Sowlow.
If he was still over there he'd be top class by now

Hard to say how he would measure up in Europe. You'd think 2000m would be the ideal trip. The Dubai Duty Free at 1900/1800 would of been a good one.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Nick Nick wrote:

Humidor not running?

Didn’t pay second acceptances, opted to target Sydney

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

Flying. How do they beat him in the Oz Cup?

They wont

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 5:59pm

[QUOTE=Jamal] A C-Grader in Europe and has done well in Australia. Thats how strong the European strength is.

The cultural cringe is well and truly alive in the west. GC ran a placing behind the then horse of the moment Solow, came over here and was thrashed by Winx before wining the Mackinnon. He wasn't a G1 horse in Europe but he certainly wasn't C grade. Has acclimatised and got the Weir bone and muscle training now but the closest he's got to Winx is 6.25l. Shows just how good that girl is.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 6:00pm

Originally posted by Nick Nick wrote:

Humidor not running?

Didn’t pay second acceptances, opted to target Sydney

2 weeks behind the others and wouldn't be ready.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 6:02pm

[QUOTE=Jamal] A C-Grader in Europe and has done well in Australia. Thats how strong the European strength is.

The cultural cringe is well and truly alive in the west. GC ran a placing behind the then horse of the moment Solow, came over here and was thrashed by Winx before wining the Mackinnon. He wasn't a G1 horse in Europe but he certainly wasn't C grade. Has acclimatised and got the Weir bone and muscle training now but the closest he's got to Winx is 6.25l. Shows just how good that girl is.

Sorry Jamal, should have read on. Apologies.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 6:04pm

[QUOTE=Prince of Penzance] [QUOTE=Jamal] A C-Grader in Europe and has done well in Australia. Thats how strong the European strength is.

The cultural cringe is well and truly alive in the west. GC ran a placing behind the then horse of the moment Solow, came over here and was thrashed by Winx before wining the Mackinnon. He wasn't a G1 horse in Europe but he certainly wasn't C grade. Has acclimatised and got the Weir bone and muscle training now but the closest he's got to Winx is 6.25l. Shows just how good that girl is.[/QUOTEo]

I actually made a typo error (see rarlier on in the post) and i meant to say "B-Grader"

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 6:11pm
Though the fact that the G1 WFA race on the same day was quinellaed by a couple of Japanese horses can’t be ignored. Imports also dominated the first. Winx can’t cover the fact we are really struggling to produce quality older horses. They’re even winning the Lightning now.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 6:22pm

Though the fact that the G1 WFA race on the same day was quinellaed by a couple of Japanese horses can’t be ignored. Imports also dominated the first. Winx can’t cover the fact we are really struggling to produce quality older horses. They’re even winning the Lightning now.

Agree with you. In terms if quality in numbers, there is a lack of quality of horses gor 2000m plus races.

I still love Winx though. But she is the only standout

-------------

Posted By: Tontonan
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 9:13pm
He was very good.  When he pressed forward early and ran that 11.11 to take the lead I thought the race was over as Hartnell had settled behind them and I fully expected he would go straight past in the stretch but Galio Chop just kept giving, and seemed to be relishing it as well.  He left Hartnell for dead ln the run to the line.  Another top effort from Single Gaze too.

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 9:20pm

And ANZ horses are winning OS, esp in HK. A credit to our trainers, sunlight, feed etc. no? 

OTI, $$$LW, Aust Bloodstock etc identified the holes in our breeding and racing long ago and thankfully they've plugged gaps not being serviced by our breeders and/or caused by early retirements of our male entires. I have no trouble with this at all, esp if it means better competition and new blood for future generations. 

Irrespective, we have some of the greatest racing in the world and ignoring that would looks like cultural cringe to me.

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 12:26am
Our horses beyond a mile are laughably uncompetitive. Plugging gaps? Glossing over it won't help. Better Loosen Up won a Japan Cup. Naturalism went within a whisker of winning another. A generation ago. Imagine that happening now...you can't. They've gone straight past us. 

Our ridiculous 2yo obsession has lead us down this rabbit hole. We can't produce good older horses, we need to import them. It can't be more obvious.

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 1:06am
Yes we've done the staying ranks issue to death. Can't be bothered looking in depth but it seems obvious that at least three other things are at play beyond our need for speed and quick returns - retirements from injury, stud and new drug regimes. There's far more money in syndicating a good young horse as a sire these days than there is in racing on, and its far harder to keep older geldings going without the help of the steroids available in other eras. 

You've picked the eyes out of history - recent Au racing has had one of our greatest every stayers in Makybe Diva, and one of its best middle distance horses in the fabulous So You Think. We've also had two horses in the last decade which are Hall of Famers and will possibly get to Legend status. 

Yes it would be great to have an ongoing contingent of very strong ANZ grown 2000+m horses, but we're still doing okay. 

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 8:42am
MKD was English bred. SYT a Kiwi. It used to be stayers but increasingly they’re winning Tooraks, Doncasters and Orrs. I’m was very impressed with Written By yesterday but in 12 months he’ll be off to stud with a full book of mares so that his progeny can go off to Magic Millions sales to compete with the Sepoys and Flying Arties.

I’m not parochial enough that I really care where the good horses come from but there’s no point denying it. It’s bad and it seems to be getting worse.

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 9:36am
MKD was specifically bred OS for our racing and SYT from a Euro shuttle stallion.Many of our top horses have an NZ link, including our greatest. Just a guess but it's probably not entirely coincidental that their industry downturn and our dearth of depth in distance races have coincided. I'd hazard a guess that if imports had been racing in Australia decades go we would have seen a not too dissimilar pattern.

Posted By: Tlazolteotl
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 10:22am
I'm not surprised that Australia is concentrated on fast maturing speed horses- it makes economic sense. The thing that surprises me is why Europe and Japan are not. Why is that?

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 10:29am
Because they don’t dangle huge prize money 2yo races in front of them.

Posted By: Tlazolteotl
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 10:31am

Because they don’t dangle huge prize money 2yo races in front of them.

But the big syndication prices are also being paid for winners of a 3yo race- the Coolmore- who did not win the Golden Slipper.

Posted By: iamt
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 10:40am

MKD was specifically bred OS for our racing and SYT from a Euro shuttle stallion.Many of our top horses have an NZ link, including our greatest. Just a guess but it's probably not entirely coincidental that their industry downturn and our dearth of depth in distance races have coincided. I'd hazard a guess that if imports had been racing in Australia decades go we would have seen a not too dissimilar pattern.

Makybe Diva was in no way specifically bred for Australia. Tugela was purchased in foal carrying Makybe Diva who was later offered for sale as a yearling in thr UK but was passed in.

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 10:40am
Another factor - trainer depth and ability. Back in the day we had the incomparable Bart and TJ but also the Hanlons, the Murphys, the Walters, the CSHayes', and the FBI. Might be waxing lyrical - historians like Tontonan can put me right - but I can't think of a trainer in the last decade who would be fit to tie their bootlaces as far as the preparation of "stayers" goes, even allowing for the (legitimate) steroid use of yesteryear.

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 10:43am
Originally posted by iamt iamt wrote:

Makybe Diva was in no way specifically bred for Australia. Tugela was purchased in foal carrying Makybe Diva who was later offered for sale as a yearling in thr UK but was passed in.

I'm sure I've read it before or heard it in an interview with Santic. Will see if I can find a reference

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 10:59am
Folkswood running 3rd in the 2017 Cox Plate says it all really in regards toa lack of quality local horses at 2000m onwardsin Australia

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 11:01am
Or perhaps he said he went looking OS specifically for a horse bred to win the Cup? Certainly appears I was wrong about the breeding, thanks iamt. Have had that piece of misinformation/misinterpretation stuck in my mind for years.LOL

Speaking of Santic, just saw a reference to his marital problems - one wife used his $1000 Grange in the bolognaise apparently. Yikes.

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 11:15am

Folkswood running 3rd in the 2017 Cox Plate says it all really in regards toa lack of quality local horses at 2000m onwardsin Australia
Finished 4+l astern of Winx and Humidor. 

I suspect most agree that our locally bred distance ranks are thin - for many reasons - but you're cherry picking Jamal. Look at some of the CP placegetters over the years. Many worse than Folkswood who had a G1 placing in Meydan on his CV and who had two starts since for a decent 5th in the Mackinnon and an OS G3 win.

https://www.racerate.com/Cox_Plate_Winners.htm" rel="nofollow - https://www.racerate.com/Cox_Plate_Winners.htm

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 11:16am
Getting right off thread topic, sorry. 

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 4:41pm
Lloyd’s horses pestered him out of it

Posted By: stayer
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 4:46pm
Was a great run really in those circumstances

Posted By: Sunline
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 4:49pm
It also highlights again how tough it is when you're a speed horse at Flemington compared to Caulfield.

-------------
Sunline...simply supreme

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 4:53pm
Certainly. Wonder what’s next for him? Sydney?

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 2:08pm
That was easy....

Posted By: Xavier
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 4:37pm
Ran like a camel.
Sacked

-------------
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes

Posted By: jacko1
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 4:47pm
Did what I expected, Lasqueti probably took away his chances when she made it a tough staying test.

Posted By: maccamax
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by jacko1 jacko1 wrote:

Did what I expected, Lasqueti probably took away his chances when she made it a tough staying test.

25 , 2400m range races, won by those contestants . Gailo Chop Nil.

He needs to mix it with Winx at 2000m sometime soon. He paid the price for leaving the comfort zone.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

He needs to mix it with Winx at 2000m sometime soon. He paid the price for leaving the comfort zone.

He has met Winx at 2000 before. Cox Plate

-------------

Posted By: jacko1
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 6:30pm
He's going to the Queen Elizabeth

Posted By: maccamax
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by Xavier Xavier wrote:

Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

He has met Winx at 2000 before. Cox Plate

I am aware and he set a pace that resulted in a new Course record. He has performed much improved this prep but has shown that 2000 is his limit.
( His 2nd to Harlem recently told me that a tough 2000 is his limit )
I did mention earlier he was under's .

Posted By: Smoke and Mirrors
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 5:09pm
Gee he fought on well

-------------
"Go Hard or Go Home”

Posted By: brave_ponies
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 8:59pm
Isn't he just a wonderful horse?! Especially coming back from tendon injury. Gives his all.

(I do hope that goose on Get On finally ditches the stupid jokes on his name.)

Date Posted: 11 May 2018 at 1:04pm
Tendon injury. Campaign (and possibly career) over

Date Posted: 11 May 2018 at 1:05pm
Gailo Chop's racetrack future is again in doubt after the dominant favourite for next week's Doomben Cup again damaged his tendon.

Part-owner Terry Henderson of OTI Racing confirmed the news on Friday, saying the injury was to the same tendon that forced the import out of racing for 18 months in 2016 and 2017.

"Well get it assessed first properly but he's out of the Doomben Cup," Henderson said.

"It was the same leg as last time but we just don't know the severity of it just yet.

"The early prognosis is that it's a lesion in the scar tissue of the old healing. So it's same place and same area but it's too early to be too definitive on any way forward."

A rising eight-year-old, Gailo Chop is a three-time Group 1 winner and his second placing to Winx in last month's Queen Elizabeth Stakes in Sydney had him the hot favourite at about $2.30 for the $650,000 Doomben Cup (2000m) on Saturday week.

Posted By: Hartnell is dominant
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 10:15pm
back in work and off to Maher/Eustace this week.

Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 3:42pm

Trainer     Mr Matthew Williams (Warrnambool)

-------------

Posted By: crooked_gambler
Date Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 3:14pm
Warrnambool trainer Matthew Williams ventured to Ballarat on Tuesday morning to find the best surface available for the first serious gallop for comeback Group 1 winner Gailo Chop.

While most other tracks around the state are rain affected, the rising nine-year-old took to the synthetic surface at Ballarat where he proved to Williams and his patient connections that the past 15 months of rehabilitation from a tendon injury have been worth it.

"It was his first gallop with a rider on today as all his other gallops have been on the treadmill," the trainer explained.

"So that was his first serious hit-out since his injury and he's pulled up terrific after it.

"He's walked back nice and sound. He pulled up terrific in the wind - he wouldn't have blown a candle out when he came back.

"He was very forward as far as what we can do at home before bringing him here today, he worked off over the 1000 metres and had a nice working gallop over the last 600.

"He'll get another couple of pieces of work like that with the rider on him and be ready to trial.

he multiple Group 1 winner of more than $4 million in prizemoney has not raced since the Queen Elizabeth Stakes in Sydney in April last year, but the import has responded to a long, slow build-up.

"We've had him since January doing a rehab program and he was doing some rehab before he came to us, so it's been a long process but it's gone very well so far," Williams said.

"He certainly doesn't feel like an eight-year-old horse to ride. He's very good in his action still and very sparky on the trot and got a good feel about him so I think we'll still a good chance to hopefully get to that day at Moonee Valley (Cox Plate)."

Williams said Gailo Chop was now ready to step up his preparation to ready for his comeback race in the G1 Makybe Diva Stakes at Flemington in September.

"He's a little bit showy condition-wise but by the time we trial at Cranbourne on the 5th of August and then again in the middle of August and then again in early September - his last two trials will be over the 1500 metres they have at Cranbourne - and I'm pretty sure we'll have him pretty forward first-up for the Makybe Diva," he said.

-------------
This space has been intentionally left blank

Posted By: Isaac soloman
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 1:47pm
Another aged gelding coming back from ANOTHER tendon injury.
Wonder what it takes to retire the poor bloke.
What does it take, a full blown break down?

What do you reckon DISCO?

Gailo step closer to miracle return

HAVING already evaded an injury-enforced retirement once in his career, nine-year-year warrior Gailo Chop has taken a significant step towards another miraculous return to racing.

The multiple Group 1-winning galloper pleased trainer Matthew Williams in his first official hitout in more than 15 months at the Cranbourne trials on Monday in his comeback from a second tendon injury.

Williams said Gailo Chop pulled up "terrific" after he finished third in his 1190m heat by less than a length.

"But you could be one gallop away (from re-injuring the tendon). You just don't know (but) so far, so good."

https://www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au/news/gailo-step-closer-to-miracle-return/3797815/" rel="nofollow - https://www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au/news/gailo-step-closer-to-miracle-return/3797815/

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 3:17pm
Another Henderson galloper? I think he's the worst of the syndicators in terms of getting every last ounce from them Angry

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 3:39pm
I saw him gallop at Ballarat between races a couple of weeks ago.
He looked in very good condition, actually didn’t realise who he was until someone told me. No visible concerns with his action at all

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 3:52pm
If you know anything about tendons they can go at anytime and the horse already has the injury, healed with SCAR tissue, no matter which way you put it.
And a GOOD horse will ALWAYS perform.
Why not just retire happily and healthily.

The trainer will be on tenterhooks.

Or do you have to dig your hoofs in, like Chatauqua?

no comment disco?

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 4:33pm
I do know about tendons, not sure what you’re implying?

If only everything was as simple as it is in your world.

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 4:39pm
To those who want to denigrate the come back of BLACK HEART BART here is another on the same path.
But Gailo Chop is excused for making a comeback

The implication is quite simple.

Posted By: Sister Dot
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Isaac soloman Isaac soloman wrote:

If you know anything about tendons they can go at anytime and the horse already has the injury, healed with SCAR tissue, no matter which way you put it.

no comment disco?

The industry heads should just ban it, only way to stop callous people risking horrible breakdowns to wring out a few more bucks . We’re dealing with a very giving majestic animal, not a bl**dy machine?

-------------
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 6:28pm
There’s a pretty major difference.
Black heart Bart was listed as retired when in fact it was being pre trained by a disqualified person.

Gailo Chop was never listed as retired, and has been with a trainer who is not disqualified the whole 8 months of this year.

But don’t let the facts ruin a good story

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 6:33pm
Bottom line is that after last racing they were both cripples.

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 7:39pm
Splitting hairs sky.
BHB was listed as retired, Gailo Chop didnt get that far but was reported as retired. 50/50 each way? a 9yo?

imo the real culprits here are the vets.

trouble is connections know how hard it is to get a good horse.

Either way the race club vets will have the final say. And the horse itself.

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

I foresee another Voodoo Lad demise looming as unfortunately, top horses continue trying despite pain or niggles telling them to ease up e.g. Mummify.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 8:53pm
The industry gods should have the gumption to call a STOP to it.
These horses, and all racehorses are the lifeblood of the industry, and it is an industry that in today’s animal rights awareness, needs every positive kudo it can get?
No use just putting Subbie out there as a mascot and then ignoring the standards as far as the rest of them go.........
We can ignore it and forge ahead in our blameless mercenary ways, but the axe is hovering.....

-------------
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 8:58pm
They have strict guidelines, stringent vet checks, trials, scans etc etc.
Both of these horses have ticked every box so far.

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 9:07pm
I wish them all the luck in the world, they’re going to need it

-------------

Posted By: Majestic
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 9:52pm
Voodoo Lad a shame. Mummify qualified for his Caulfield Cup with some great runs. Got to 20 meters from the post and was a good chance to still place when he faltered. We rarely see very old racehorses racing today. I know Steroids are not around but they were the actual cause of breakdowns in decades past .
Pleas name me anything racing today that compares to Samson, Havelock, Future, craftsman,Lord and their ilk. They all raced fortnightly and most had well over 100 starts. Only Havelock died on the track as a 12yo.
As I said, the old trainers had some drugs and old wive’s concoctions, but they did race more often and much longer than today’s pussycats.
As for GC, he will tell the owners and trainer if he wants to go on with it. Nobody can make them competitive at Group level if they are passed it. As well I bet even if he is slower and not competitive, he will never be allowed by authorities to go country like some of the old good horses from long ago. I can list many of those old horses sold to race in country as 8-12 yo’s.

Posted By: acacia alba
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 1:53am
In this day and age, when racing is under the microscope from all the many protestors, and front page news when things go wrong, the industry should be very carefully watching these horses that have had major injuries, and then being brought back.
Yeah, sure, in the good ole days it didnt matter.  Just race them on and hope they hold up.  If they didnt, no one noticed.  Shove them bush and race them on.
But you cant get away with that now.  Too many eyes on the industry,  and it needs to show a clean and caring image.
No sticking the head in the sand and hoping for the best.  Shunting crocks out bush where no one notices if they break down.
If racing wants to keep a clean image , crocks need to be monitored,,,,
Just MHO of course.

-------------
animals before people.

Posted By: Discohips23
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 8:33am
Originally posted by Isaac soloman Isaac soloman wrote:

no comment disco?

I agree with you, what more can I say

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

I foresee another Voodoo Lad demise looming as unfortunately, top horses continue trying despite pain or niggles telling them to ease up e.g. Mummify.

I seem to remember Mummify in fine form leading up to the Cup. Was there an issue I’m not aware of?

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 12:08pm
Won his trial by 12 lengths this morning

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 10:29pm
Stewards interviewed trainer Matthew Williams regarding Gailo Chop's suitability to race after comments made by his attending veterinary surgeon Dr Andrew Cust on RSN Radio this morning. Matthew Williams advised that Gailo Chop (FR), whose last race start was in April 2018, had had a long preparation during which there had been no recurring conditions and the gelding had successfully trialled on three separate occasions. He further advised that the gelding had been under constant veterinary care which included scans of previous injuries. Matthew Williams advised that in his view Gailo Chop (FR) was fit to race.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net