Forum Description: Stallion appraisals and trends
URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=59685
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 7:59pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Freshmen 2017
Posted By: robbo
Subject: Freshmen 2017
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 10:07am
About that time when the new boys get announced. We have already had Capitalist, Maurice (apparently already full?), Winning Rupert and Xtravagant announced, as well as Shalaa coming to Arrowfield.

Any more waiting in the wings?

Replies:
Posted By: djebel
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 10:22am
Some American horse who's name escapes me ?

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: acacia alba
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 10:39am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Won a few decent races, didnt it ???  Wink

-------------
animals before people.

Posted By: slowdown
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 10:45am
Alpine eagle to armidale

-------------
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.

Posted By: djebel
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 10:46am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Won a few decent races, didnt it ???  Wink

American Pharaoh.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: Red Hare
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 12:02am
As above:

Capitalist
Maurice
Winning Rupert
Xtravagant
Shalaa
Alpine Eagle
American Pharoah

Also:

Air Force Blue
Flying Artie
Tarzino
Holler
Sir Prancealot

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 12:08am
Rebel Dane, Stratum Star, Supido, Speith, Palentino, Extreme Choice, Amralah, The United States, any halfway decent son of Savabeel.

Many of those will be hunting for a barn.

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 3:36pm
We can add Awesome Rock to the list.

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Red Hare Red Hare wrote:

We can add Awesome Rock to the list.

Any idea where he is going? Not Newgate.

Also can add Sooboog to the list. http://www.breednet.com.au/news/132095/Group-One-Bound-Son-of-Snitzel-Heading-for-Kitchwin-Hills" rel="nofollow - http://www.breednet.com.au/news/132095/Group-One-Bound-Son-of-Snitzel-Heading-for-Kitchwin-Hills

Posted By: Einstein
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 6:58pm
Rich Enuff? Or was that last season, I cant keep up. Also there is another WT son to newgate of james harrons? Name escapes me.

Posted By: Oviate
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 8:49pm
Isn't Rich Enuff rotating between two stud farms in two states, or something like that?

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 11:36pm
It's amazing how swiftly the market is able to turn over that middle band of sires, bringing in fresh opportunities. It shouldn't go unnoticed that, despite all these new names, the total number of stallions standing in Aus has reduced each year for the last 10 (I think... haven't got the exact figure with me).

There are some massive names to come off the roster in the next few seasons.

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 11:39pm
That said, the Deep Field/Rubick/Dissident etc FS numbers were just silly. They'd want to be right about that crop.

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 9:39am
Preferment?

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Red Hare Red Hare wrote:

Preferment?

I would be very interested in Preferment.

Flying Artie and Extreme Choice both retired overnight to Newgate. Anyone want to have a stab at a fee? Based on Capitalist at $55,000 then you'd have to think $20-$30K for both of them. Not that I would pay that.

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 2:07pm
John Zielke says his old mate Worthy Cause has found a barn at Clear Mountain, wherever that is.

Son of Choisir, from the family of Shogun Lodge & Referral.

Posted By: acacia alba
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 2:27pm
Clear Mountain is Queensland.
Sooborg to Kitchwin I see .

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 11:57am
I just can't imagine Extreme Choice as a future topline stallion. Stranger things have happened, however.

It's not that he's smallish, I just don't think he's got much of an engine under the hood. To my eye, he struggled to run a metre past 1000 at open age level.

The buyers have piled into the Redoute's/Hussonet cross in recent years, but where to from there? Hussonet was bred to just about every Danehill-line mare on the planet. Is there something in that sample to give potential customers hope, or will it be 4x4 Danehill?

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 12:24pm
Capitalist
Maurice
Winning Rupert
Xtravagant
Shalaa
Alpine Eagle
American Pharoah
Air Force Blue
Flying Artie
Tarzino
Holler
Sir Prancealot
Palentino
Awesome Rock
Extreme Choice
Sooboog
Worthy Cause
Frosted - Darley Vic
Territories - Darley NSW

There's a bit to like about Territories, in a same-but different kind of way.

Posted By: furious
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 2:19pm
Maurice over Miss Finland comes up with a interesting pedigree.  No doubt it will be tried.

Posted By: Sharkie
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 4:47pm
Rich Enuff stood his first year at Glenlogan Stud in Queensland and this season goes south under the agreement they have.

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 1:08am
Rebel Dane to Swettenham.

He ran some very honourable 4ths for each way punters over the journey... I shouldn't poke fun. I often turn my nose up at colts that squibb the tough contest in favour of a set weights 3yo G2 and an early retirement. Here's one that charged on for another couple seasons, always st the top level. If you want to be the best, you've got to beat the best. Rebel Dane only beat the best a few times, but at least he showed up.

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 1:04am
Rommel will stand in WA. Son of Comands out of a US mare who, if nothing else, offers linebreeders a variety of threads into Bold Ruler and daughters of Almahmoud.

I thought he was a nice Autumn 3yo. Could really turn on the afterburners.

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 1:20am
Breednet is reporting that Bobby's Kitten, a grandson of El Prado, will shuttle to some joint in NSW.

Some nice variety in that line now. Medaglia d'Oro (and sons), Artie Schiller (and sons) and now a son of Kitten's Joy.

Posted By: Kimberley Mine
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 2:00pm
Send Bobby's Kitten all the Lonhro and Reset mares you can.  If they have a cross of Flying Spur (or Flying Spur over Sir T), all the better.  He's got a line to Fanfreluche via her son L'Enjoleur which is dynamite with the Zabeel line.  Kitten's Joy himself seems to appreciate a return of Sir Gaylord.

Mares with Red Ransom would be a good fit--Kitten's Joy has been very successful with mares carrying Roberto.

The other line in Aus/NZ that's worth trying with him are Good Journey, Spinning World, and Peintre Celebre.  These horses are all sons of Nureyev bred on a particular pattern: Nureyev, Sir Gaylord, and the mare Little Hut.  This pattern duplicates everything Kitten's Joy likes, brings out good elements of Bobby's Kitten's female line (Northfields, Somethingroyal via Sir Gaylord), and has a racing aptitude similar to Bobby's Kitten.  Any mares with Theatrical breeding should also be considered, as Theatrical is a half-brother to Bobby's Kitten's 3rd dam and Kittens Joy has 3 stakes winners out of three foals to race out of Theatrical mares.

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 11:50am
Awesome Rock to stand in WA.

Posted By: hopeforall
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 5:46pm
Here are some announced as being in the 2-017 breeding season;

http://www.stallions.com.au/horses/summary.php?arion_id=IjEwNDUyNjgyMyI=" rel="nofollow - Air Force Blue
http://www.stallions.com.au/horses/summary.php?arion_id=IjEwNDAzNjkxOSI=" rel="nofollow - Alpine Eagle
http://www.stallions.com.au/horses/summary.php?arion_id=IjEwNDQ0OTAwMCI=" rel="nofollow - American Pharoah
http://www.stallions.com.au/horses/summary.php?arion_id=IjEwNDMwNTUxOSI=" rel="nofollow - Extreme Choice
http://www.stallions.com.au/horses/summary.php?arion_id=IjEwNDI5NTQ5NCI=" rel="nofollow - Flying Artie
Frosted
http://www.stallions.com.au/horses/summary.php?arion_id=IjEwNDE5Mzk1OSI=" rel="nofollow - Holler
Kiss & Make-up
Mikki Isle
http://www.stallions.com.au/horses/summary.php?arion_id=IjEwMzg0MDMyNSI=" rel="nofollow - Rebel Dane
http://www.stallions.com.au/horses/summary.php?arion_id=IjEwNDQwOTUwNSI=" rel="nofollow - Shalaa
Territories
http://www.stallions.com.au/horses/summary.php?arion_id=IjEwNDU1NTUyNSI=" rel="nofollow - The Last Lion
http://www.stallions.com.au/horses/summary.php?arion_id=IjEwNDMwMDA4MiI=" rel="nofollow - Winning Rupert
Xstavagant

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 6:29pm
Stallions.com.au has a 2017 freshmen page...not many fees posted as yet

Posted By: Aurelius
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 9:59pm
The only one I like is Frosted (by Tapit).

Not SH progeny for Tapit is too much of a risk though.

The rest, Pass.

Posted By: Sir Gov
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Aurelius Aurelius wrote:

The only one I like is Frosted (by Tapit).

Not SH progeny for Tapit is too much of a risk though.

The rest, Pass.

Cmon Aure - you can give us more than just Frosted.....

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 10:09pm
Yeah just noticed 'Mikki Isle' like him also a lot.

Same problem not enough proof his sire could sire NH Winners.

The current list of Freshman I would pass apart from them
two.

Not saying there's not any good ones amongst them but I cannot pick them.

Enlighten us Gov, what do you like from this list I'm stumped!

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 10:42pm
I wont be popular but here goes:

Winning Rupert - the times he ran have no peer in the freshman list
Air Force Blue - Big fan of War Front.  Could have a big impact in AUS
Extreme Choice - bit on the fence, but could end up just like his Dad

Also like Maurice but pretty sure he was a handful

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 11:01pm
Mmmmmm........Written Tycoon was on the ropes as a stallion but has turned it all around for sure!!!

Like War Front also and 'Could' is apt assessment.

To many 'Maybe's in the list so far;

Where are the son's of Fastnet Rock, Lope De Vega, Zabeel, Exceed and Excel the champions where, where, where!

A bunch of absolute Duds.

Posted By: bradjm
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 8:53am
The only one I like of the bunch is Shalaa

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 9:43pm
Palentino is standing at Sun Stud.

No idea what his conformation is like doesn't look overly
flash in the photo I saw of him running.

That aside I like him.

Gov, he would go alright with you mare that has Galileo in her pedigree.

Double up on Galileo!

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 10:21pm

Palentino is standing at Sun Stud.

No idea what his conformation is like doesn't look overly
flash in the photo I saw of him running.

That aside I like him.

Gov, he would go alright with you mare that has Galileo in her pedigree.

Double up on Galileo!

He is a good looking lad Palentino!

Pretty sure I will be going either War Front or Fastnet Rock for her. 

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 10:26pm
Has Fastnet Rock come back to the market or are you making too much cash!!

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 10:32pm
Teofilo was 22k from memory reckon Palentino will probably be the same if they don't over price him.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 10:35pm

I should have clarified 'a son of' Fastnet or War Front.

Are you using any this year? 

I have to say that the best yearlings of the 1st season sires goes to Sizzling IMO. They were on average very good quality - well balanced & strong.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 10:48pm
Funny that Sizzling by far my fav of that crop.

Only downside I thought wasn't 16h like the others howeverfrom what your saying that's not a downside especially with a bigger mare.

Nah give it a miss this year, if I was to go to a stallion it would be Deep Field at the right price.

Not overly excited by Encosta De Lago but he showed he was pretty good early in his career and tappered off a tad and maybe his sons will do the same.

Posted By: rem286
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2017 at 11:18pm
Stratum Star goes to Widden

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 10:11am
Gilgai Farm are bringing G2 winner Cable Bay (Invincible Spirit) over. He'll stand at Woodside for $19,800.

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Sir Gov Sir Gov wrote:

I should have clarified 'a son of' Fastnet or War Front.

Are you using any this year? 

I have to say that the best yearlings of the 1st season sires goes to Sizzling IMO. They were on average very good quality - well balanced & strong.

I agree 100%. I was no wrap on Sizzling based on his racetrack performance but have loved his yearlings. Honourable mention to Dundeel who has also thrown some crackers.

Posted By: Glencoe
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 11:00pm
REd Hare are you correct on that price?
Stands for 5000 pounds in Eng.   I.e. $8000 aus

Won a weak 2yo mdn at Leicester.  Couldn't win at 3 and got away with a couple of group races over 1400 ms at 4 at rather longish odds.

Surely the price is meant to be $8800 or do some people not realise the internet is universal

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 11:04pm
Aurelius / Sir Gov  I was taken with the Epaulettes ( so are the poms ). One thing I picked up o/s is that the Zebedees are speedy but TOUGH. They take work

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 10:44am
Astern confirmed for Darley, meaning that the trifecta from the Coolmore are all retired four months later. I will be interested to see whether Russian Revolution makes it to next season - maybe he is the one for The Everest. Probably needs to add to the CV with only a handicap G1 under his belt and then underwhelming at WFA. Maybe Brisbane can fix that, though.

Stratum Star also confirmed for Widden at the seemingly attractive $11,000. Odyssey Moon at Olly Tait's Twin Hills at $8,800.

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Glencoe Glencoe wrote:

REd Hare are you correct on that price? Stands for 5000 pounds in Eng.   I.e. $8000 aus
Won a weak 2yo mdn at Leicester.  Couldn't win at 3 and got away with a couple of group races over 1400 ms at 4 at rather longish odds.
Surely the price is meant to be $8800 or do some people not realise the internet is universal

http://www.woodsideparkstud.com.au/news/230-gilgai-and-woodside-team-up-to-shuttle-cable-bay-in-2017.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.woodsideparkstud.com.au/news/230-gilgai-and-woodside-team-up-to-shuttle-cable-bay-in-2017.html

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 12:44pm
That Gilgai/Woodside press release mentions everything you would want to read as a new breeder, or one that sees themselves as a hobbyist looking to go up a level. The facts, as presented, are as striking as they are indisputable (although you could argue that a farm's benchmark is foals, not runners). The price is a tad offensive, but it is presented in a way that assures the customer that they will be breeding with purpose. 

Gilgai is the brand, not whatsitsname. Any sense of prestige belongs with the farm, not the stallion.

I would be most interested to hear any feedback from breeders on there as to what they think of their approach. Just how much mayonnaise is there on this template? 

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 2:22am
When I first read the publicity sheet I thought what a horse.

Then I went to Racing Post & looked at all his races in detail. Then I understood how cleverly written the publicity piece is. And further when looking in detail at his pedigree it is obvious why his English fee is ONLY 5000 Pounds

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 2:38am
Originally posted by Glencoe Glencoe wrote:

When I first read the publicity sheet I thought what a horse.

Then I went to Racing Post & looked at all his races in detail. Then I understood how cleverly written the publicity piece is. And further when looking in detail at his pedigree it is obvious why his English fee is ONLY 5000 Pounds
So we can give them a tick for marketing AND for not letting the UK market's price stand in the way of their template (whatever it may be).

I dare say the selection process factored in the mare population within a certain radius, in addition to whatever success factors they've identified within the hypothetical matings.... then again, it might just be the marketing. The bloke does make a good business out of "high end" party hire. He could have his own show on 9Life LOL

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 8:14am
dont rate that horse at all. Reckon they will be lucky to get 70 mares

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Sir Gov Sir Gov wrote:

dont rate that horse at all. Reckon they will be lucky to get 70 mares
Given the tone of the press release, a high number of coverings isn't part of the template.

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 11:48am
Spendthrift adding Swear & Hit It A Bomb to their roster for 2017.

I want to get behind these guys, but they need to play a few more trumps like Into Mischief and Malibu Moon... even Danza would be competitive in Vic.

Given the exodus amongst his age group, I can't help but feel as though they've missed an opportunity to advertise Swear to their Victorian customers. 

Posted By: Spearmint
Date Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 5:01pm
Swear !! You bloody bewdy

This horse should be a good value stallion prospect.

When did they announce he was standing?

-------------
"Nothing in the world is so powerful as an idea whose time has come"

Posted By: GETNHI
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 11:08am
I have my  mare Realisticness booked into Swear, they notified us in March, so we jumped on it!

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 11:27am
He looks like good value for a punt at 5k.

Only knock he only won a G3 however so did Commands.

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 1:34pm
Best win by I am Invincible was a G3 also.  Fell in love with Swear as a yearling and feel he could of delivered more if raced on.  That's the only thing annoying me.  Colt's don't have to finish racing as three year olds.  It doesn't seem to have done the last few generations retirements any good.  Both Written Tycoon and I am Invincible raced on and they are among or the best of their years retirements.  Where are the three year olds going of four who might mature enough to at least give Winx a run for her money.  All going to stud it seems.

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 1:41pm
That said if you have an O'Reilly, Savabeel, High Chaparral mare I think he fits you very well.  As said above lots of nice catches in his pedigree.

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 2:17pm

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 2:20pm
None of the above bloodlines unfortunately, but we will see how we go. I wish i had her half sister who just sold for $700k at the chairmans.

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 5:58pm
Nothing wrong with Hussonet/Redoute's or a Danehill m x f.  Also your mare is from the line of a sister of the all time great sprinters in Schillaci.  So just be greatful you have a mare from such a good line.  Send her to the best you can afford and do what every breeder can to bring up a healthy well educated youngster.

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 6:08pm
Swettenham also adding Mshawish to the 2017 roster.

Will be interesting to see who gets the lemon & sars... I'd reckon Equiano has run his race.

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 6:20pm
Reckon that Master of Design might move on as well...

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 6:46pm
Did they buy him outright? He wouldn't cost them too much to maintain if he can pull 60-70 covers.

Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 6:53pm

MOD is owned by an Oz syndicate, whilst Mshawish is owned by Al Shaqab Racing (as is Toronado) and stands by arrangement at Taylor Farms in the USA. 

Date Posted: 07 May 2017 at 2:05pm
The United States will stand at Moutonshoek Stud in Sth Africa.

Racing Post article quotes, The United States is a brother to Group 3 winner and 1,000 Guineas hopeful Hydrangea and a half-brother to high-class two-year-old and sprinter Fire Lily. His dam, the Pivotal mare Beauty Is Truth, is a Group 2-winning sprinter and she hails from the family of Breeders' Cup Mile hero Last Tycoon and Classic winners Tie Black and Valentine Waltz.

Posted By: Afros
Date Posted: 07 May 2017 at 2:37pm
That's interesting, surely he could have found a home in Aus?

Posted By: ianb
Date Posted: 07 May 2017 at 7:09pm
Not a freshman but where did Wanted end up?

Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 07 May 2017 at 7:23pm
Maybe into an Asian fire-meat recipe?

Asian Fire Meat

Posted By: v and m
Date Posted: 07 May 2017 at 7:54pm
sun stud at kerrie, lots of runners always racing in vic but low stakes winners result so far

-------------
ZAMINGA

Posted By: linghi11
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 3:49pm
Anyone end up breeding to Palentino last year? Are all of his over at the knee?

-------------
to the victor

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net