Print Page | Close Window

Australian Open Tennis 2017

Printed From: Thoroughbred Village
Category: All Sports - Public Forums
Forum Name: Joffs All Sports Bar
Forum Description: Visit the famous All Sports Forum to chat with friends about any sporting topic
URL: http://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=59253
Printed Date: 23 Oct 2018 at 12:02pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Australian Open Tennis 2017
Posted By: ExceedAndExcel
Subject: Australian Open Tennis 2017
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 1:30pm
Kicks off in two weeks time so thought I'd start this thread as a catch all for the entire summer of tennis. Hopman Cup and Brisbane International (fantastic field this year) started yesterday and already good betting opportunities. Should be the usual bonanza on Betfair. They've been sending out a few promos where they'll boost your winnings by 20% up to a certain amount. Had one for the Big Bash and also a general one for all markets a few weeks ago. Hoping they have one for the Aus open as well which would be icing on the cake.

Betting wise so far was on Kyrgios last night against Lopez who he accounted for comfortably. And just jumped on Ferrer half way through the 1st set against Tomic.

Replies:
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 3:23pm
Will be playing Troicki against Nishioka in Brisbane on a couple of hours time. He usually goes well on the early tournaments and Nishioka is a Challenger level player. Will back to win 1 unit. If the 1st set it tight will most likely trade out after it's finished. If Troicki is dominating I will probably play it out the whole match.

Probably back Federer in Perth tonight to win 1 unit as well. He has had 6 months off but hasn't rushed things and I would suggest he wouldn't be playing if he wasn't ready to go. He crushed Evans in the 3rd round of Wimbledon last year and it will likely be a similar story here.

Posted By: jujuno
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 7:06pm
I get very confused with all the Russian and Polish women...

all but Glad Wenitsova...Wink 

-------------
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Will be playing Troicki against Nishioka in Brisbane on a couple of hours time. He usually goes well on the early tournaments and Nishioka is a Challenger level player. Will back to win 1 unit. If the 1st set it tight will most likely trade out after it's finished. If Troicki is dominating I will probably play it out the whole match.

Probably back Federer in Perth tonight to win 1 unit as well. He has had 6 months off but hasn't rushed things and I would suggest he wouldn't be playing if he wasn't ready to go. He crushed Evans in the 3rd round of Wimbledon last year and it will likely be a similar story here.

1st set of the Troicki game was tight enough but he always had the upper hand and looked to take control at the end. Will stay in here unless there is a long weather delay or something like that.

Federer ended up being too short for someone returning from injury so only ended up backing him to win 2/3 units. Currently on serve in the 1st set.

Posted By: Whale
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 7:50pm
You love this time of the yearI think, and do very well.

Posted By: oneonesit
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 7:56pm
Hope you win on the punt E & E. The actual tennis in these nothing tournaments just bores the sox off me. Might be me just getting older....just find  tennis has lost all its mojo. Occasionally will watch a few games in the women...until I realise I am just an old perv & go back to Storage Wars or Supervet !

-------------
Give peace a chance

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Hope you win on the punt E & E. The actual tennis in these nothing tournaments just bores the sox off me. Might be me just getting older....just find  tennis has lost all its mojo. Occasionally will watch a few games in the women...until I realise I am just an old perv & go back to Storage Wars or Supervet !

I don't disagree with you entirely OneOne. Outside the grand slams I wouldn't follow/watch it if I wasn't betting on it. And hey, I probably would have been at the bar instead of court 5 at Flushing Meadows in August if I hadn't had a big bet on Gasquet (lost CryLOL

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

You love this time of the yearI think, and do very well.

Thanks Whale, hoping the coming weeks are profitable again too! Thumbs Up

I actually started betting basically the whole season last year but don't bother posting outside the slams as no one is really interested. But like racing, how can you beat a sport where there is action aplenty every day of the year? Well nearly every day, they do have a 6 week break from late November to now.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 12:18pm

1st set of the Troicki game was tight enough but he always had the upper hand and looked to take control at the end. Will stay in here unless there is a long weather delay or something like that.

Federer ended up being too short for someone returning from injury so only ended up backing him to win 2/3 units. Currently on serve in the 1st set.

Troicki game was delayed until this afternoon due to storms in Brisbane basically as soon as I posted this. The match wasn't a blowout by any means (although the was clearly on top) so ended up trading out to lock in a 0.7 unit profit.

Federer cruised as expected.

Nothing for me this afternoon but a couple tonight.
Nadal against Dolgopolov in Brisbane to win 1.5 units. Should easily get the job done here. Looks in great form after beating three top line players last week. On the off chance he was to lose a set I will trade out for a loss. Otherwise play it out.

Kyrgios against Pavlasek in Perth to win 0.5 units. Very short but will be a demolition job almost certainly.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 7:57pm
Kyrgios with a leg problem. Dominating on serve but visibly having problems. Will trade out after the 1st set regardless here I think. May have to take a loss regardless of who wins it.

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 8:12pm

Kyrgios with a leg problem. Dominating on serve but visibly having problems. Will trade out after the 1st set regardless here I think. May have to take a loss regardless of who wins it.

Won the 1st 7-5. Looking a bit better the last 10 min or so so will stay in for a while and see what happens.

Posted By: Tlazolteotl
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 7:18am
Good to see Nadal in form.

'I am never going to be the fittest guy on tour. I'm 6'5", 195 centimeters, so it's not easy for me to be like Ferrer or Murray or these players that are very low center of gravity.Stern Smile

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 12:13pm
Kyrgios won a tough match in straight sets. Nadal cruised.

This afternoon:
Nishikori to win 0.5units
Ferrer to win 1 unit

Will tally the results tonight but up around 5.5 units currently.

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 2:44pm

This afternoon:
Ferrer to win 1 unit

Nishikor up 4-0 in the 1st and loses 6 straight games and the set. Traded out for 1.6unit loss. He is diabolical on serve currently. Probably goes on to win now I'm out.

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 6:35pm

This afternoon:
Ferrer to win 1 unit

Nishikor up 4-0 in the 1st and loses 6 straight games and the set. Traded out for 1.6unit loss. He is diabolical on serve currently. Probably goes on to win now I'm out.

Late to update as have been indisposed.
Ferrer won 1st set and has fallen to pieces almost. Lost 2nd and traded out for 1.5unit loss.

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 10:19pm
Doha tournament on as well (also Chennai). Starting shortly - Goffin to win 1 unit.

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 11:14pm

Doha tournament on as well (also Chennai). Starting shortly - Goffin to win 1 unit.

One of those days. Out for a 1.6 unit loss.

Overall result currently +0.7

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 2:23pm
Let's try again today:

In Brisbane:
Raonic (starts soon) to win 1 unit.
Nadal (tonight) to win 1 unit

In Perth:
Kyrgios but a watch on the first few games prior to betting. He struggled with a leg injury he other night so would want to confirm he is ok as Sock is very good too.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 10:52am

Let's try again today:

In Brisbane:
Raonic (starts soon) to win 1 unit.
Nadal (tonight) to win 1 unit

In Perth:
Kyrgios but a watch on the first few games prior to betting. He struggled with a leg injury he other night so would want to confirm he is ok as Sock is very good too.

Both cruised. Kyrgios was broken early so wasn't a bet.
Overall +2.7 units.

This morning Starting in 10 min: Warwrinka to win 1 unit.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 11:11am
interesting thread this. I hope your units are big enough to make it worthwhile

-------------
I realise many of your kin went down with the " Bunker Man " but show some gratitude that the West closed down the furnaces , instead of using them to rid the world of the likes of

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 11:28am

interesting thread this. I hope your units are big enough to make it worthwhile

I wasn't going to mention how much specifically I bet on these because I assume that most people care more about whether the strategy wins or loses than how much. But in any event I'm currently betting these to $100 units. Also, when I say "to win 1 unit" I am saying to win 1 unit AFTER commission. So the amount bet will be different depending on both your unit size as well as your Betfair discount rate.

Once the Aus open starts it will be hard to continue straight out selections like these because with so many games the plays will change constantly depending on start/finish times etc. Also the strategy will change somewhat. I will probably just recommend games here and there which will be good to apply my more active trading strategy.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 11:32am
E + E, none of my business really but I guessed $100

-------------
I realise many of your kin went down with the " Bunker Man " but show some gratitude that the West closed down the furnaces , instead of using them to rid the world of the likes of

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 11:35am
Warwrinka struggling here. Very likely to trade out for a small loss. Most likely if it gets to 6-6 OR immediately he is broken. If he starts going better that could change.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 11:41am

E + E, none of my business really but I guessed $100

All good mate. I'm happy to let people know if they're interested so no issue.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 1:00pm

Warwrinka struggling here. Very likely to trade out for a small loss. Most likely if it gets to 6-6 OR immediately he is broken. If he starts going better that could change.

Game still going at 1 set all.

This was a 1.6 unit loss. Traded out when he was broken to go down 5-4 in the 1st. In hindsight this was a bad trade and a little annoyed with myself for making it. Will explain why another time as I'm out of action for likely the rest of the day.

Posted By: subastral
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 1:41pm
Tennis is dead to me, now that I cant bet against Ana Ivanovic in the early rounds of a slam, where she invariably loses to a $5 pop.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 2:12pm
cannot understand Laver rating Kyrgios so highly...hope that stroke didn't damage his reasoning powers...

Unhappy

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 3:59pm
Ranked 13 in the world and doesn't really give a sh.t about the sport. That's a fair amount of natural ability that he possesses.

Posted By: Passing Through
Date Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 4:02pm
Might be  motivational by Rocket Rodney

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 4:35pm
Kyrgios hasn't got the temperament to win a grand slam- he's a flake.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 7:07pm
but his temperament may improve, I wouldn't write him off though I would love to

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Might be  motivational by Rocket Rodney

we could only wish...to speak of them in the same breath is almost sacrilegious...

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 9:12am

Game still going at 1 set all.

This was a 1.6 unit loss. Traded out when he was broken to go down 5-4 in the 1st. In hindsight this was a bad trade and a little annoyed with myself for making it. Will explain why another time as I'm out of action for likely the rest of the day.

Result for the week on these selections was +1.1 units.
Did have a few other bets over the weekend but won't count in the talley. Traded the Warwrinka/Nishikori match back and forth in the 1st set for a good profit. Did he same with the Brisbane final last night but only until Dinitrov broke in the 5th game. Another good profit.

Will take Haase to win 1 unit in Auckland this morning. 2nd up should start around noon AEDT.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

You told us that Djokovic was "dominating" Federer overall when the H2H was all square so pretty sure you don't have much of an idea about tennis. Has already won 3 tournaments last year beating impressive fields in each. No reason why he couldn't win a grand slam.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 12:46pm
Tough match but Haase wins in straight sets in the end. +2.1 units

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 1:14pm
Not really a tip as it's just for a bit of action over the next hour or so but have backed Schwartzman in Auckland to win 1 unit. Will include in the tally anyway.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 2:07pm

Not really a tip as it's just for a bit of action over the next hour or so but have backed Schwartzman in Auckland to win 1 unit. Will include in the tally anyway.

Good start. Lost his way and the set though. Out for -0.8.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 9:05am
Don't mind Ryan Harrison this morning in Auckland. To win 1.5units.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 9:35am

You told us that Djokovic was "dominating" Federer overall when the H2H was all square so pretty sure you don't have much of an idea about tennis. Has already won 3 tournaments last year beating impressive fields in each. No reason why he couldn't win a grand slam.

Refresh my memory. Doesn't sound like me.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 10:49am

Don't mind Ryan Harrison this morning in Auckland. To win 1.5units.

Carve up. 6-1 6-2

Now +2.8 units

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 10:53am

Apologies, the word wasn't "dominated" it was "comprehensively owned". Probably worse.

http://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/australian-open-tennis-2016_topic56473_post1305330.html?KW=Federer#1305330

It must be a little troubling for those who continue to believe that Federer is the GOAT that there have been not one but two players in his own time who comprehensively owned him. Greatest of all time but not greatest of his own time. Perhaps not.LOL

Federer was greatest of Hewitt/Roddick/Safin time. He is clearly not greatest of Nadal/Djokovic time.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 8:03am
Made an ill-fated foray into the women's game yesterday. Quickly reminded me why I had banned it.

Aus open qualifying starts today. Unsure if I'll take anything here yet.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 8:10am
I am always wary of players seeded in Grand Slam tournaments in the tournament  immediaty before it. If you are expecting or hoping to go into a second week in the major tournament, do you really want to be playing on the second half of the week directly beforehand, or going through your recovery and prep. A 70% effort in these tournaments is better than net sessions as long as you dont gas yourself. No surprise to see seeds under-performing in Sydney

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 8:18am

Apologies, the word wasn't "dominated" it was "comprehensively owned". Probably worse.

http://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/australian-open-tennis-2016_topic56473_post1305330.html?KW=Federer#1305330

It must be a little troubling for those who continue to believe that Federer is the GOAT that there have been not one but two players in his own time who comprehensively owned him. Greatest of all time but not greatest of his own time. Perhaps not.LOL

Federer was greatest of Hewitt/Roddick/Safin time. He is clearly not greatest of Nadal/Djokovic time.

100% correct Tiazoleotl.Thumbs Up How many grand slams has GOAT Federer won since Nadal and Djokovic were out of nappies on the tennis court?

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 8:19am

I am always wary of players seeded in Grand Slam tournaments in the tournament  immediaty before it. If you are expecting or hoping to go into a second week in the major tournament, do you really want to be playing on the second half of the week directly beforehand, or going through your recovery and prep. A 70% effort in these tournaments is better than net sessions as long as you dont gas yourself. No surprise to see seeds under-performing in Sydney

Like betting on barrier trials.LOL

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 8:19am
Some pretty diverse and interestimg music at the Oz Open. Just pay $30 after 5 ground pass and you get to see the bands. I will go and see Jimmy Eat World and if anyone is going to see Living End, make sure you catch The Bennies first. Not sure organizers know what they have got themselves into. Every song is basically a love song to smoking weed, with a lot of swearing. They are a superb live band. Will be extremely entertaining to see.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 8:27am

100% correct Tiazoleotl.Thumbs Up How many grand slams has GOAT Federer won since Nadal and Djokovic were out of nappies on the tennis court?

Djokovic first entered the top 10 in early 2007. Federer has won 8 grand slams in that time.
Nadal first entered the top 10 in mid 2005. Federer has won 13 grand slams in that time.

Do you ever get tired of embarrassing yourself?

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 3:59pm
This afternoon/evening:

Troicki to win 1 unit.
Thiem to win 1.5 units.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 9:21pm

This afternoon/evening:

Troicki to win 1 unit.
Thiem to win 1.5 units.

Troicki won.
Thiem lost 1st tie break. Out for -2.8ubits.

One step forward and two back!

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 10:12am
Auckland: Bahgdadis to win 1.5units
Sydney: Thiem to win 1.5 units. Wasn't convincing by any stretch last night but will back up on him here.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 3:34pm

Sydney: Thiem to win 1.5 units. Wasn't convincing by any stretch last night but will back up on him here.

Easy win for Bahgdadis.

Will only back Thiem to win 1 unit on further though. Tough match late last night and may have fatigue issues.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 6:35pm

Easy win for Bahgdadis.

Will only back Thiem to win 1 unit on further though. Tough match late last night and may have fatigue issues.

Cruises 1st set. Down two breaks in the 2nd. Seen enough here. Probably still wins but I'm out for -0.1 units.

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 8:07am
I was warming to a once in a blue moon tennis bet because I think Williams and Kerber are good risks. So I pick out Pliskova. Only problem with her I discover after a few more minutes checking is she is 0-7 against Radwanska who she is drawn to meet in quarter final. Hmm Confused

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 8:32am

I was warming to a once in a blue moon tennis bet because I think Williams and Kerber are good risks. So I pick out Pliskova. Only problem with her I discover after a few more minutes checking is she is 0-7 against Radwanska who she is drawn to meet in quarter final. Hmm Confused

was it E+E who said you have no idea about tennis LOL

-------------

Posted By: Gay3
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 1:01pm
Press conference with Nadal yesterday:

Q: You're injury free?

N: Yes

Q: So you're pain free then?

N: Pain free was years ago LOL LOL

Plenty here can identify with that, I imagine Wink

-------------
Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!

Posted By: Carioca
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 2:02pm
Heard that, doesn't often crack jokes, that was quick and humerous I thought.

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 8:38am
Great day of action yesterday in more ways than one. Betting couldn’t have gone much better, basically rolled from game to game with the only bump in the road being Troicki falling in a heap after being 2 sets up (traded out for a small profit anyway though). Only got to watch the Federer game as I was working during the day but going on his performance and his draw its hard to see how he is going to get much further than early 2nd week. Could see him beating Berdych in the 3rd round but after that it gets incredibly tough for him and not sure his performance last night (or in perth) is good enough.

Plenty of action again today. A couple to watch today:
Dimitrov - first up on Margaret Court tonight. Great effort to win in Brisbane beating some good players including Nishikori in the final. Could be back to his best from a few years ago when he was top 10. Around 50-1 for the tournament and maybe worth a small nibble. If he continues in the same form as Brisbane he will be tough to beat for anyone anyway.
Alexander Zverev – first up on Hisense this morning. Young up and comer who has beaten Federer the last two times they played. Ranked top 25 currently after a breakout year in 2016 and a definite top 10 player of the future (quite possibly by the end of this year). Doubt he can win the tournament this year but a big watch on him.

A couple of the usual suspects in Nadal and Djokovic also on court and should win as expected. People talking up Verdasco as a tough opponent for Djokovic after he had match points against him in Qatar the other week but suspect that was just Djoker brushing off the dust. In any event 5 sets is a different story and I would be surprised to see him seriously troubled. Raonic another of the title contenders should Murray/Djoker slip up also on Margaret Court today.

Womens – who knows. Serena up this morning as well as Konta (Sydney champ) and Radwanska. All probably win but without my money. Made a brief entry to the women’s tournament yesterday for a small profit and probably won’t try my luck again. There’s a reason they have been banned!

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 10:20am
My first bet of the week........always bet against Stosur!!

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 12:07pm
Poor effort from Zverev after a lightning start. Still has a way to go in the grand slams it seems and will need a big turnaround from here. A timely trade out for me after the first set so a decent profit regardless but still expected much more from him.

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

God bless her.

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 4:35pm

God bless her.

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 8:31pm

God bless her.

What price the winner subby?

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 8:34pm
Watson $2.00 Stosur $1.80 pre-game

-------------

Posted By: saintly96
Date Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 9:21pm
Hi, I need a cab at Rod Laver Arena....going to the airport.

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

God bless her.

What price the winner subby?

Only $2

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 6:05am

FLAKE.

Did you hear the 7 commentators? "He's only young. Plenty of other players were like this ... blah blah blah blah."

No they weren't. Get a grip. Nobody else turns it up cold like Kyrgios. Someone should be kicking his arse, not making excuses for him.

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 6:27am

Australian Open: Nick Kyrgios says it is time for him to get a coach after loss to Andreas Seppi

Updated 29 minutes ag

Nick Kyrgios' "disappointing" Australian Open loss to Andreas Seppi could be the final straw that leads the Aussie firebrand to hire a coach.

In a frank press conference on Wednesday night, Kyrgios said he battled injury and struggled with the mental side of his game in  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-18/australian-open-nick-kyrgios-andreas-seppi-second-round/8192280?section=sport" rel="nofollow - the five-set loss to Seppi .

The knee injury, according to the 14th seed, is at least partly due to a half-hearted preparation that included too much basketball.

While taking responsibility for his "poor management" in the off-season and admitting he hoped not to make the same mistakes again, the 21-year-old said a coach would help him focus.

"That's one area where I need to start taking a bit more seriously," he told reporters on Wednesday night.

"I don't think there's anyone in the top 100 without a coach apart from me, so that needs to change."

He would not bite when asked who he would like to have in his box, but admitted he was still seeing a psychologist as part of  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-18/nick-kyrgios-seeks-professional-help-reducing-atp-ban/7941622?section=sport" rel="nofollow - his ATP sanctions for tanking at last year's Shanghai Masters .

Kyrgios getting in his own way

The critical media conference was reminiscent of one he gave after  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-05/nick-kyrgios-too-soft-wimbledon-loss-to-andy-murray/7569436?section=sport" rel="nofollow - a fourth-round loss to Andy Murray at Wimbledon last year .

On that day he reiterated he did not "love" tennis but did not know what to do without it.

It is clear he is still struggling with focus and consistency, admitting he gets in his own way.

"That's how it's been my whole career really," he said.

"I put my head down and want it, but things happen.

"It's just me not being able to be consistent, not really wanting it."

Despite winning three ATP titles in 2016, Kyrgios' behaviour has cost him fans and tens of thousands of dollars.

He faced jeers from the Australian crowd after the match, which he said was tough to hear, but was contemplative about the loss.

"I'm disappointed but I'm OK. I'm alright," he said.

"The world keeps spinning. I lost one match."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-19/nick-kyrgios-admits-its-time-for-a-coach-after-open-loss/8192646?section=sport" rel="nofollow - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-19/nick-kyrgios-admits-its-time-for-a-coach-after-open-loss/8192646?section=sport

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 6:41am
I know how to get Kyrgios to focus on tennis. Give all the money you have in the bank now to charity, then spend one year doing the job you would have if you didn't have tennis.

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 6:45am

I know how to get Kyrgios to focus on tennis. Give all the money you have in the bank now to charity, then spend one year doing the job you would have if you didn't have tennis.

And that job isn't playing in the NBA eitherLOL. It's more likely to be driving a taxi.

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 7:32am
E + E I am sorry if you backed him but how good was that ? It made my week seeing the spoilt, entitled bogan lose it from 2 sets up Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 8:49am

E + E I am sorry if you backed him but how good was that ? It made my week seeing the spoilt, entitled bogan lose it from 2 sets up Clap

No need to be sorry Whale. Yes I was on him. Had seen enough after his embarrassing display in the 4th set and traded out for a loss. After I was out I was cheering for him to lose too!

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 8:56am
Pretty well documented the Kyrgios match last night. Absolutely cruising before the wheels fell off. Looked to not even be trying in the 4th set which is disappointing. The rest of the big names continue to fire though and that’s been good for punting. Pretty much been a flawless 3 days with Kyrgios the only hiccup. Up significantly so far and hope to build further as we go. Probably back Konta in the women’s (against my better judgement) first up before moving on to whatever options come up as we go through the day.

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 6:00pm
Anyone back Djokovic @1.01 today? How's the heart? Down a break in the 5th.

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 6:07pm
who would back a tennis player at $1.01 , $10,000 to win $100 Confused

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 8:09pm

Plenty still do. There is tremendous money bet on tennis matches and it's not significantly stifled by extremely short priced favorites.

Posted By: marble
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 8:13pm
kyrios pulled out of the doubles - sore stomach! has to be the biggest sook in australian sport.

Posted By: marble
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 8:17pm

Plenty still do. There is tremendous money bet on tennis matches and it's not significantly stifled by extremely short priced favorites.

not a bad earner for dodgy players if they just happen to drop a set

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 7:43am

No-name takes Radwanska out but Pliskova is a third the price now.

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 8:33am

ESPN in race row after commentator compares Venus Williams to a GORILLA at Australian Open

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/espn-in-race-row-after-commentator-compares-venus-williams-to-a-gorilla-at-australian-open/ar-AAm0sm2?li=AAgfYrC&ocid=mailsignout" rel="nofollow - http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/espn-in-race-row-after-commentator-compares-venus-williams-to-a-gorilla-at-australian-open/ar-AAm0sm2?li=AAgfYrC&ocid=mailsignout

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/espn-in-race-row-after-commentator-compares-venus-williams-to-a-gorilla-at-australian-open/ar-AAm0sm2?li=AAgfYrC&ocid=mailsignout" rel="nofollow -

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/espn-in-race-row-after-commentator-compares-venus-williams-to-a-gorilla-at-australian-open/ar-AAm0sm2?li=AAgfYrC&ocid=mailsignout" rel="nofollow -

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/espn-in-race-row-after-commentator-compares-venus-williams-to-a-gorilla-at-australian-open/ar-AAm0sm2?li=AAgfYrC&ocid=mailsignout" rel="nofollow - Dr E would applaud the comment no doubt

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 8:37am
The other side , who is right ?

WHILE calling an Australian Open tennis match ESPN’s Doug Adler described Venus Williams’s strength and aggression by saying, “You see Venus move in and put the gorilla effect on. Charging.”

Cue http://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/australian-open/live-australian-open-day-four-in-melbourne/news-story/5696db5e80231cc1474653ad96924828" rel="nofollow - twitter explosion and global meltdown .

“Appalling stuff” said New York Times Tennis Reporter Ben Rothenberg, tweeting that it’s “Horrifying that the Williams sisters remained subjected to it still in 2017.”

I totally understand and can see why people are outraged, but before you call the lynch mob let’s think about Doug Adler’s intentions.

Do you truly believe he compared Williams to an animal to make a comment about colour?

No? Then put the pitchfork down and walk away.

Do you believe Doug Adler was saying that one of the strongest players is really strong, and gave it context by mentioning something else with great strength?

Yeah? Then there’s no real problem here so put the pitchfork down and walk away.

“But the comparison of humans to animals is disparaging and an embarrassment to humanity”

When someone is told they’ve got the “heart of a lion” or they’re as “strong as an ox” it seems to be fine right? With my flabby arms and generous gut I’d be honoured to be compared to something strong and assertive rather continually being told my “hips are too honest” by people on Instagram.

Venus Williams one of the strongest and most talented athletes in the world and all Adler was trying to do was compliment her on it.

"She puts the Gorilla effect on. Charging". Just wtf. This is not cool https://twitter.com/ESPNTennis" rel="nofollow - @ESPNTennis https://twitter.com/espn" rel="nofollow - @espn https://t.co/L46Bwf6sEh" rel="nofollow - pic.twitter.com/L46Bwf6sEh

— Shanna 🍍 (@PinaCocoblog) https://twitter.com/PinaCocoblog/status/821839791490625537" rel="nofollow - January 18, 2017

Assuming what someone is thinking, then throwing a tantrum because they’re thinking it — that’s a sign of someone desperately searching for a way to be outraged. And that’s sad.

But people who want to get offended by something are just that, wanting to be offended and today they’ve found a reason. The most outrageous thing to me here is society’s willingness to be outraged.

I’ve got no doubt Adler wishes he said something else. He’s probably already thought of hundreds of other things he could have said but as American author and keynote speaker Tim Fargo says “some people take offence like it’s a limited time offer” and he’s going to cop some heat for a few days.

But it’s not.

So while you’re busy taking note of colour and working out what to be offended about tomorrow,

just know that Doug Adler was just watching and calling a tennis match between two incredible athletes.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 10:27am
Oh crikey, what a blooper, poor guy Embarrassed that's the trouble with live commentary!!

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 10:33am
Jack Sock to upset Songa and Berdych to beat Fed today.

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 10:34am
Tsonga!

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 11:19am
Originally posted by marble marble wrote:

kyrios pulled out of the doubles - sore stomach! has to be the biggest sook in australian sport.

I hope we never have to depend on him in Davis Cup...

gutless waste of newspaper space, no gonads...Angry

would love all his sponsors to pull the plug...might bring him down to earth...

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

Originally posted by marble marble wrote:

I hope we never have to depend on him in Davis Cup...

gutless waste of newspaper space, no gonads...Angry

would love all his sponsors to pull the plug...might bring him down to earth...

Are you aware how the world works? He is the most watched and talked about player at the Open. TV, papers and sponsors love him.

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 1:30pm
what has that got to do with anything Sub,  Trump is the most watched person in the world, do you love him ?

and I doubt that sponsors love him, there is a mark and he has overstepped it

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 2:11pm
Krygios sells papers and he gets the ratings. People love him, or love to hate him. Either way, both groups tune in to watch him. Sponsors dream.

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 2:17pm

I've been busy all morning so haven't bet anything yet but didn't mind Sock. Has been in great form so far this year. I know he's down a set now but wouldn't surprise to see it still go the distance.

Federer dominates the H2H with Berdych so not sure. Both are on the downward too IMO. I'm inclined to trade this smoke from the outset. Back Federer just as he begins his 1st service game and trade out at the end of the game. Rinse and repeat until it gets to a tiebreak (although I may stop at 4-4).

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 2:18pm
Smoke = match and I need a new auto-correct

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 8:52pm

I've been busy all morning so haven't bet anything yet but didn't mind Sock. Has been in great form so far this year. I know he's down a set now but wouldn't surprise to see it still go the distance.

Federer dominates the H2H with Berdych so not sure. Both are on the downward too IMO. I'm inclined to trade this smoke from the outset. Back Federer just as he begins his 1st service game and trade out at the end of the game. Rinse and repeat until it gets to a tiebreak (although I may stop at 4-4).

Much better Federer tonight. Shame he broke so early though, means the trading fun is over.

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 10:12pm
Yeh he owned him. I should have stopped at Stosur!!

Posted By: oneonesit
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 7:17am
Fantastic news...woke up to Tomic being rissoled as well....great start to the day !

-------------
Give peace a chance

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 12:02pm
Could the old guy win another grand slam? I wrote off his chances many years ago but he's looking sharp, one of his arch nemeses is out and the other one is a long way off his peak.

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 12:04pm
If Sir Andy doesn't start thinking about too much that Djokovic is out he should win easy

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 12:04pm
The crowd would go wild if he could, me included Heart

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 12:42pm

If Sir Andy doesn't start thinking about too much that Djokovic is out he should win easy

Had a look at which side of the draw PT, who might face who, if they keep winning, Roger, Rapha , Andy.

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 12:47pm
While I'm at it, hasn't Andy bulked up,, ahh you can't beat a good bit of steak.

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 12:48pm
I think Stan is on the same side too Carioca? Not easy but he should beat them

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 12:59pm
Didn't forget him PT, liked his little after match assessment last nite,,has a bit of humour, don't think he's there IMO., but I have been known to be wrong before.

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

While I'm at it, hasn't Andy bulked up,, ahh you can't beat a good bit of steak.

yes that struck me too.

Roger will not win , would love to see it but

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net