Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: RSPCA
Posted By: djebel
Subject: RSPCA
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 8:37pm

RSPCA is teaching deaf dog Hurley sign language

Hurley with RSPCA handler Shannon Calabria / Picture: Bob Barker

THIS puppy is one who has seen the signs — literally.

Born deaf, pure white great dane/staffordshire bull-terrier Hurley has been learning sign language under the care of the RSPCA.

Since arriving at the Yagoona shelter, Hurley has learnt a number of key behaviours using sign language and is now looking for a family who can help him continue learning new skills.

Staff at the shelter said Hurley is an affectionate pooch, who can sit and follow basic commands through sign language.

White Great Danes are typically deaf because of a lack of pigment in their middle ears.

But while he’s proven a good learner, Hurley’s sign language still needs some work.

The RSPCA’s behaviour team is keen to support a family interested in learning sign language to keep Hurley company at home, well exercised and behaving positively for life.

He would prefer to be the only pet, with older children and adults being ideal companions for him.

Hurley is fun-loving, friendly and affectionate, and he is ready to find his home — preferably with 2m fencing so he can play safely outside.

Contact  http://www.rspcansw.org.au/" rel="nofollow - rspcansw.org.au  or call 9770 7555

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Replies:
Posted By: James
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2016 at 5:52pm

RSPCA inspectors overworked, reputation threatened by 'emotional' activism: review

Posted about an hour ago

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-06/horses/7909170" rel="nofollow">Horses stand in a paddock at a property in Bulla north of Melbourne http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-06/horses/7909170" rel="nofollow - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-04/bruce-akers-bailed-after-22-horses-found-dead-at-bulla-property/7295704" rel="nofollow - http://www.google.com/maps/place/Melbourne%203000/@-37.8099,144.9622,5z" rel="nofollow - #sheet-default-icon-chevron-circle-down" rel="nofollow -

A conflict of interest between activism and animal cruelty prosecutions has compromised the reputation of Victoria's RSPCA, an independent report has found.

Key points:

• RSPCA seeing an increase in animal welfare complaints in Victoria
  • Inspectors overworked, underpaid and inexperienced, review finds
  • Review calls for registration program for horses, on-the-spot fines to reduce cruelty

The review into RSPCA inspectors — by former Victoria Police chief Neil Comrie — was launched after  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-04/bruce-akers-bailed-after-22-horses-found-dead-at-bulla-property/7295704" rel="nofollow - 23 horses were found dead at a property in Bulla, in Melbourne's outer north, earlier this year .

It found there had been an increase in horse welfare complaints in Victoria and inspectors were overworked, underpaid and inexperienced.

RSPCA Victoria chief executive Dr Liz Walker said all 22 recommendations had been accepted because the organisation had not been performing as well as it should.

She said a new case management system would be implemented.

"We need to make sure that our investigation approach is as contemporary as it can be and … that when we actually get reports that we triage them appropriately," she said.

"And have all that intelligence and all that analysts' work done on those cases in advance of our inspectors being sent out."

The review recommended a registration program for horses, similar to that for dogs and cats, as well as on-the-spot fines to reduce cruelty.

Dr Walker said changes to the organisation could be made without extra funding.

"There's a lot of reports that come through to us … around about 50 per cent of them actually don't need to go directly to our inspectors. They need to be referred to other agencies, such as local council," she said.

She said reports of animal cruelty were increasing, but of 12,00 complaints last year about half were over basic issues such as the provision of food, shelter and water to animals.

"Then there's an awful lot of cases that actually need education and resources to help people better care for their animals," she said.

RSPCA apologises for past 'emotional' activism

Dr Walker said the organisation would continue its advocacy against animal cruelty but would no longer engage in public campaigns over existing laws, such as duck hunting and jumps racing.

She the "tone and emotion" of the campaigns had made the work of inspectors more difficult.

"We certainly understand that over the past few years there have been issues which we have campaigned on, and their tone and the way we have done that definitely impacted on trust with our stakeholders and we apologise for that," she said.

"It's very challenging for our inspectors to be out there enforcing the law … it puts them in an untenable position to have to do that whilst the organisation that employs them has in the past openly and very emotionally and stridently advocated against the existing laws.

"So it certainly means we'll be continuing to advocate very strongly for improvements in animal welfare, it's really about the tone and how we do it."

Posted By: Gay3
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 5:38pm
https://www.facebook.com/lisa.glascott/posts/1296523717146525" rel="nofollow - - https://www.facebook.com/melissa.mcveagh/posts/2197628270266776" rel="nofollow -
-
https://www.facebook.com/melissa.mcveagh?hc_ref=ARQuQbVqbjElqpUpvs2q7aglXLY2U6WRhMFnGhxNUr7A9cjYAPqhdR5hqbCUliNWEN8" rel="nofollow - Melissa Blaikie is feeling angry.
https://www.facebook.com/melissa.mcveagh/posts/2197628270266776" rel="nofollow - - - 7 hrs

Big shout out to the RSPCA in Orange....NOT!!!!! after putting in a complaint on Monday re a starving horse not far from home and giving them the exact address, I drive past today...yep, it's dead in the paddock!! I have not received a follow up call or anything since making my initial complaint. DISGUSTING. The RSPCA will NEVER want to ring me or Mum for a donation!! I understand they are probably under the pump with the situation out here. But here is the news, it's your job!! "For all creatures great and small"....what a joke!!

Oh, and when I rang on Monday, the phone rang for 45mins with no answe when I selected the option to report a case, one could say I was determined. However, I rang on another phone and selected the option to make a donation, it was answered after a couple of rings. So clearly happy to take my money should I have wanted to give it to them but not use my money to do their job!! Well done 😡

-------------
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!

Posted By: furious
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 5:56pm
When their vet says a wet nose in a dog means it is sick so they can just confiscate them.  They lost me long ago.  Found out they put down a distressed dog who was due to whelp the following day as she could never have the puppies.  When they were the ones to distress her!  Hope they got the puppies out first but I don't know.  This is NSW though not Vic.

They complain about how a person is living with too much stuff (ie hording) in the country.  Don't they know you don't throw things away in the country.  You reuse and reuse everything out of them until there is nothing left.  

Where is the caring for all the farmers with no money for feed having to shoot their animals.  Our society is so judgemental today.  People need help to help the animals.  Might point out the farmers are pretty well starving also.  All the money is in the land which the bank holds over them.  The polititians aren't helping either.  THey have to look at the major changes we regularly get in Australia.  Drought and flood.  Surely we are intelligent enough to find a solution to the lack of water in the outback at least.  But it would cost money and they can't put road tolls on that.  But it would save money in the long run so where is the long term thinking in any of our pollies today.

Also they ignored being told these animals had names and sold them.  Some were found by a lady who knew the breeder and got in touch with details.  The lady gave the names and the dogs have gone from lost and bewildered to answering and understanding again.  THe breeder is just so happy to know they are safe and happy.  The RSPCA just didn't seem to care about the dogs welfare at all.

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 5:58pm
And I shouldn't feel too happy with dogs at the moment.  Mine just pulled me over on a walk.  They decided to go in different directions at different speeds and I went down hard.  Must have hard bones as seem to have got away with a sore check and knee and nothing broken.  They got a short walk as a penalty.  That's probably against the RSPCA's law but my face hurt and lucky for me they came back when I called as I had let go of the lead.

Posted By: Carioca
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 6:06pm
Get a walking machine furious, that'll teach em.

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 6:13pm
No smells on a walking machine Carioca but they came back when I called them so they were good for doing that.

Posted By: acacia alba
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 8:30pm
2 ladies in hospital the other week when I had my hip replacement.  Both with broken hips from falling over/being pulled over by their dogs.  Watch it, Furious.

-------------
animals before people.

Posted By: Bonjour
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

2 ladies in hospital the other week when I had my hip replacement.  Both with broken hips from falling over/being pulled over by their dogs.  Watch it, Furious.
What did they replace your hip with AA? A Ferrari or a Porsche perhaps, or a Maserati maybe......your not a ford falcon girl are you?

Posted By: Einstein
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

When their vet says a wet nose in a dog means it is sick so they can just confiscate them.  They lost me long ago.  Found out they put down a distressed dog who was due to whelp the following day as she could never have the puppies.  When they were the ones to distress her!  Hope they got the puppies out first but I don't know.  This is NSW though not Vic.

They complain about how a person is living with too much stuff (ie hording) in the country.  Don't they know you don't throw things away in the country.  You reuse and reuse everything out of them until there is nothing left.  

Where is the caring for all the farmers with no money for feed having to shoot their animals.  Our society is so judgemental today.  People need help to help the animals.  Might point out the farmers are pretty well starving also.  All the money is in the land which the bank holds over them.  The polititians aren't helping either.  THey have to look at the major changes we regularly get in Australia.  Drought and flood.  Surely we are intelligent enough to find a solution to the lack of water in the outback at least.  But it would cost money and they can't put road tolls on that.  But it would save money in the long run so where is the long term thinking in any of our pollies today.

Also they ignored being told these animals had names and sold them.  Some were found by a lady who knew the breeder and got in touch with details.  The lady gave the names and the dogs have gone from lost and bewildered to answering and understanding again.  THe breeder is just so happy to know they are safe and happy.  The RSPCA just didn't seem to care about the dogs welfare at all.

They don't care about the farmers in drought. Just yesterday an article went up about the rspca getting stuck into farmers about making sure they did "things the right way" in the drought. No offer to go help the farmers overwhelmed with shooting stock, just a curt reminder they were watching..... Angry

Posted By: intrepidarts
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 11:00pm
Yes No Maybe gotta give the RSPCA as much support as possible - can only do so much with limited resources and fighting for every inch in my experiences with them ... Hard job made harder by mongrels trying to flaunt the system for profit ... Some heartless pricks out there!!

-------------
intrepidarts

Posted By: 3blindmice
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by Einstein Einstein wrote:

They don't care about the farmers in drought. Just yesterday an article went up about the rspca getting stuck into farmers about making sure they did "things the right way" in the drought. No offer to go help the farmers overwhelmed with shooting stock, just a curt reminder they were watching..... Angry

What a perverse and totally inaccurate comment. Here's just one of the reports on that topic:  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-26/plea-for-bullets-to-put-down-skeletal-drought-affected-stock/10035248 " rel="nofollow - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-26/plea-for-bullets-to-put-down-skeletal-drought-affected-stock/10035248 

It's not the RSPCA's job to manage farm stock, they're already too thinly spread as the post above suggests. They make plenty of mistakes, advising farmers of their duties isn't one of them.

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 3:25am
The RSPCA have funds to do more than they do. Do a search and see what funds they have .  Lots.   I dont support them at all.  Because of too many things I have seen .   I am not stingy, and i donate to charity, but not to them. 
Advising farmers of their duties ????   Shocked  C,Mon Blinders !    fiddlesticks,,,,have you got out there and seen what farmers are battling at present !!   I personally know of 3 farmers who went out and shot all their starving animals, and used the last bullet for themselves. 
The RSPCA could loosen their purse strings and help a bit.   So could the Guvnt. 

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 3:28am
Originally posted by Bonjour Bonjour wrote:

What did they replace your hip with AA? A Ferrari or a Porsche perhaps, or a Maserati maybe......your not a ford falcon girl are you?

I am actually a ford falcon  ( old )  girl,,,with a spoiler,,,I believe its a titanium hip , so the Doc tells me.  Anyway, just give me a few more weeks and I will be set for a sprint up the straight at Randwick.  Thumbs Up

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 4:04am

The RSPCA have funds to do more than they do. Do a search and see what funds they have .  Lots.   I dont support them at all.  Because of too many things I have seen .   I am not stingy, and i donate to charity, but not to them. 
Advising farmers of their duties ????   Shocked  C,Mon Blinders !    fiddlesticks,,,,have you got out there and seen what farmers are battling at present !!   I personally know of 3 farmers who went out and shot all their starving animals, and used the last bullet for themselves. 
The RSPCA could loosen their purse strings and help a bit.   So could the Guvnt. 
That's ok, blindmice just hates me for some reason, and looks for any excuse to try and do me over, obviously cannot read between the lines, and has no idea what the rspca is even capable of doing. They would sooner throw charges against the farmers than help them.

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 4:06am
Not only that, the rspca actually have to be DOING something to be spread thin..... they use that excuse every single time they are caught out on not acting on a case.
Read on another forum a lady rang up and reported a case in nsw last week, told them the exact address, and told them it was extremely urgent, like an emergency. Nothing was done, and she went past 4 days later to see the horse dead in the paddock.

Yet, they can roll up to trainers or a racecourse etc on an hours notice.....

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 4:20am
Its just my HO, but they grandstand, and show up for big , out there, cases.   Yes, I know they do some good stuff, but with the funds they have, they should be doing a lot more. 
Hire some more inspectors for starters.    The ground roots people are doing good things, but they are spread too thin on the ground.   The top people need to let the purse strings out, and get more inspectors out to the animals in need. 
And it would help if the justice system/courts made people pay up their fines and expenses,,,,like all the money Kim Hollingsworth owes in fines and court costs, not to mention the care of all those starving horses that the RSPCA have been caring for and feeding.

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 10:46am
yes and charging a breeder for innoculating all her confiscated dogs (when all there shots were up to date - if they had asked also documented).  That is just looking for money or wasting money as the case may be.  And big noting themselves for shutting down puppy farmers.  People who play with their dogs while they look after them.  Oh they also said three were underweight.  Well those dogs got mince and fish products each day except the day they raided when they came early before the cleaning and feeding had begun so they missed their treats and got scared witless.  I've not often seen a fat poddle and one had a damaged front leg which had to be treated carefully and weight kept off! Did you know they have fired alot of staff and lots have left.  Not all are happy with the way the RSPCA is going.

There is work for them in spades and work which needs to be done but its not on their agenda.

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 11:35am

Originally posted by Bonjour Bonjour wrote:

I am actually a ford falcon  ( old )  girl,,,with a spoiler,,,I believe its a titanium hip , so the Doc tells me.  Anyway, just give me a few more weeks and I will be set for a sprint up the straight at Randwick.  Thumbs Up
And mag wheels, and a dice hanging from the back window!...sorry, being light hearted on a very serious thread...I wouldn't bother with the RSPCA, under freedom of info act I would like to see their salaries and the breakdown of monies received and distributed via donations, I don't trust them....and we got ourselves a rescue dog many years back, not from RSPCA, but Gracie Street.......his legacy and memory lives on, so my donations go to independent caring and responsible organisations.

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 12:11pm

Agree, part(s) of the organisation appear to have plenty AA, while local agencies struggle. Don't know what their mgt structure is but it needs a bit of a shakeup.

Animal welfare doesn't stop because of drought, nor do duties of owners, as tough as that may be AA. No-one with an ounce of humanity in their bones doesn't acknowledge the huge emotional and economic stress drought has on many primary producers - and not just animal farmers. The NSW govt and fed govts do plenty and are apparently doing more. Waving the finger at the RSPCA in this case is complete rubbish. Might as well blame the National Party who claim to represent country folk.

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 12:14pm

That's ok, blindmice just hates me for some reason, and looks for any excuse to try and do me over, obviously cannot read between the lines, and has no idea what the rspca is even capable of doing. They would sooner throw charges against the farmers than help them.

Your post was unadulterated rubbish, as is your last sentence here. 

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 12:41pm
Instead of attacking the poster 3bm, could you expand with reasons for your opinion?

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

Animal welfare doesn't stop because of drought, nor do duties of owners, as tough as that may be AA. No-one with an ounce of humanity in their bones doesn't acknowledge the huge emotional and economic stress drought has on many primary producers - and not just animal farmers. The NSW govt and fed govts do plenty and are apparently doing more. Waving the finger at the RSPCA in this case is complete rubbish. Might as well blame the National Party who claim to represent country folk.
3blindmice yes animal welfare doesn't stop.  But farmers are not city dwellers.  Well the farmers I know aren't.  And my family are mostly down the south coast of NSW the wettest place in Australia.  But next the goverment never does anything which could go into votes without letting the electorate know.  So yes they may be doing something but I haven't heard anything about trying to sort out this dry or wet problem with out food producers.  The famers money is in the land and his livestock or crops.  Crops have failed.  They have put away two years of good growth worth of food and used that up.  THey have sold any surplus stock and kept there core the breeders for any future which they can egg off the land.  They have borrowed amounts like $100,000 of the bank to buy food and feed these stock but the fodder available is drying up.  So then they buy grain feed - not as good for staving animals but better than nothing.  Then they get wrapped over the knuckles by people for not feeding their stock right.  And yes AA is right farmers are shooting their stock and killing themselves.  They don't see a way out except to walk away and have to then have no house either.

So why can't the government sort out a pipeline from our desanilation plant to the inland dams and get the water out there.  Stop this endless mindless cycle before we loose any more workers on the land.  You can't replace them with the softer city dwellers.  Cambodia did that when they wiped out millions - sent the rest to work the land.  Some can but most can't live that lifestyle.

And the farmers are starving also and working harder than before hand feeding their stock.  The city has to help.  You and I have to help.  But more from the government who should be working on this issue as something which can and should be overcome after 200 years of similar times in the country.  Get over the us and them.  Sort it out now.  Make our governments work instead of argue and point their fingers at each other.  Peoples lives depend on it.  And when the help comes the animals benefit first.

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 1:09pm
Oz is basically a desert continent bar much of the coastal areas & whilst I see short term gains in piping vast amounts water from A to B, I can't imagine it being viable for long.
Ecosystems & waterway health would fail as will the underground aquifers eventually dry up.
Farmers must become smarter with the help of scientists to counteract long periods of drought & short ones of flooding. 

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Instead of attacking the poster 3bm, could you expand with reasons for your opinion?
I attacked the original comment Gay not the person, AND I gave a link to what is actually happening to show its vacuity. 

This bit of rubbish needs no elaboration surely: They would sooner throw charges against the farmers than help them .  It's a scandalous slur on the organisation and its workers. A basic understanding of the RSPCA's role might tell anyone that. I'll expand when racing's over.

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 2:29pm
I'm not talking about floodwater Gay.  Just a plant which Sydney built before the dam filled up.  We could use that water when times get too tough.  Surely that is thinking smarter also.  Farmers did the work in the good seasons - they put aside vast amounts which just didn't touch the surface this time.  Too many dry areas and just not enough feed to go around.

As I said before appart from getting a film company to set up something like the hobbiton set in New Zealand and getting vast amounts of tourists.  Or setting up wind or solar farms.  They don't have many ways to turn.

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 2:29pm
They pipe water from Perth to Kal, or Kal wouldnt have any.  They turned back the rivers of the Snowy Mts and  got a 2 for 1 deal of electricity and the inland irrigation.  Why cant they collect and pipe water across the great divide instead of letting it all run out to sea ?  Hell not so long ago we had 8 inches in 24 hours,,all gone into Newcastle Harbour in the blink of an eye.  I have been told that water is being diverted from Chichester, which is 100% capacity at present, over to the upper Allyn and onto the feeders of the dam near Singleton. Which makes sense, instead of letting it run out to sea at Newcastle.
It gets up my nose no end to hear Gladys and Co going on about millions for a new stadium at Parramatta.  How many bloody football stadiums does Sydney need Angry How about some of that money being turned to a water project that will benefit those that live outside the city ??
What about using some of the defence force trucks and personel to transport water and fodder ?  All  those vehicles and people sitting around waiting for a war !!  Freight costs alone for fodder are crippling farmers.  Even tho many truckies now are doing it as cheap as they can, they still have to maintain their vehicles and fuel them, so they cant do it free.  Most fodder here in NSW is now coming from W.A. for heavens sake, as there is not much left here in the east.  Why not load up a train, or a dozen trains,  with fodder and send it over ?  Why isnt the so called leaders thinking of useful ways to help, instead of worrying about football stadiums and stupid ugly "art works " to stick in parks in Sydney  ?  Like Furious says, pretty soon we wont have any sort of crops home grown and will be forced to buy it from overseas. You cant keep increasing the population if you cant feed them !!!
Anyway, back to the RSPCA.  The management side need a dam good shake up.  And it must be very disheartening for the ground staff to see the courts let people off with a slap on the wrist for some of the cruelty cases they deal with.

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 2:45pm
Not helpful Cry

Sorry, Page Not Found

The page you are looking for, http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-26/plea-for-bullets-to-put-down-skeletal-drought-affected-stock/10035248%C2%A0 cannot be found. It might have been removed, had its name changed, or be temporarily unavailable.

-------------

Posted By: Carioca
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 3:02pm
Gay if you go to Weatherzone ( like I do lol) down r/h/s news bits hit arrow on right and that story will come up, regarding rspca and warning to farmers.

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 3:56pm
Cheers Carioca Thumbs Up

Plea for bullets to put down drought-affected stock as RSPCA reminds farmers to stick to protocols

Giselle Wakatama and Annabelle Regan, Friday July 27, 2018 - 08:57 EST
ABC image
Farmers are being forced to shoot emaciated sheep as they struggle to source feed. - ABC
The harsh reality of drought continues to be felt across New South Wales, with some farmers claiming a shortage of bullets to euthanase emaciated stock.

It is a scenario repeated across much of the state as farmers try to source feed elsewhere.

In the Hunter, sheep and cattle graziers are offloading stock at a rapid rate, while others are shooting dead those deemed too weak to be transported to market.

Mobile butcher Drew Shearman told the ABC he had been working around the clock trying to help farmers.

He said one recent visit to help a farmer was shocking and dramatic as he drove deeper into the barren landscape.

"As I took the drive out to a farm I have visited many times, before I knew this time was going to be different," Mr Shearman said.

"It is quite dramatic how the landscape has changed in the area in the last 12 months.

"Usually when I call my friend at the farm I ask him 'is there anything I can pick up for him on the way?' Usually it's a length of steel or a special tool, a tube, or liquid steel.

"This time the request was simply bullets "¦ he had five bullets left in total "¦ the rest had been used to euthanase injured or sick sheep."

RSPCA says no place for animal neglect during drought

Animal welfare group RSPCA said farmers needed to adopt strict protocols during drought.

It has a position paper on drought policy and gives farmers guidelines on how to act.

"At all times, animals must have access to good quality drinking water, be provided with shade, and be able to shelter from extremes of weather," the RSPCA said.

"It is unacceptable for animals to be allowed to starve to death or die of thirst under any circumstance."

It said that if there is any doubt as to the ability to provide animals with their needs "the decision to agist or sell must be made sooner rather than later and well before the animal is too weak to be moved".

"Daily monitoring is required to ensure sick or weak animals are quickly identified, treated or humanely killed."

Shooters, Fishers and Farmers Party signals crisis

The Upper Hunter candidate for the Shooters, Fishers and Farmers Party, John Preston, said without extra drought assistance in areas like the Hunter, the State Government could have an animal welfare crisis on its hands.

He said the drought was a national disaster.

"It is animal cruelty on an industrial scale," Mr Preston said.

"It is a financial catastrophe on an industrial scale as well. Remember, farm security is food security and food security is national security.

"The National Party and the Government are placing this state's food security in jeopardy."

Farmers say drought could bankrupt communities

An executive from the industry lobby group NSW Farmers has warned that rural towns like Walgett could go bankrupt if the State Government did not do more to tackle the drought.

Farmers are hoping the Government will buckle under pressure and announce help with freight subsidies on the back of their annual conference in Sydney this week.

Merriwa-based executive Chris Kemp said the cost of transporting fodder for stock is too high for most farmers.

"If this drought keeps going we're going to need a lot of help from the Government," he said.

On Monday, NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian left the door open for reintroducing freight subsidies for farmers affected by drought.

"I do want the community to know that this is a top of mind issue for me personally and also for our government," she said.

"I've been and witnessed the hardship that many of our communities are facing and I appreciate what they are going through," Ms Berejiklian said.

"I've always said if there is more for us to do we will. We have changed the loan arrangements to make sure farmers can now get interest free loans for seven years."

In this year's state budget, .

The package covered low interest loans, mental health support and kangaroo management.

There was also $250 million to go into the farm innovation fund, and farmers will be able to access one-off loans of up to $50,000, which will be interest free for seven years.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 10:53pm
Obviously 3bm must work for the rspca. Either that has his head in the sand. It has always been shown that they will take those to court who do not have the funds to hire a lawyer, so they give in and plead to whatever deal is on offer even when they've done nothing wrong.
Then you get people who have money, who starve their animals because they are too stingy or cannot be bothered looking after them properly, and the rspca just shove it under the carpet.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 9:58am

They pipe water from Perth to Kal, or Kal wouldnt have any.  They turned back the rivers of the Snowy Mts and  got a 2 for 1 deal of electricity and the inland irrigation.  Why cant they collect and pipe water across the great divide instead of letting it all run out to sea ?  Hell not so long ago we had 8 inches in 24 hours,,all gone into Newcastle Harbour in the blink of an eye.  I have been told that water is being diverted from Chichester, which is 100% capacity at present, over to the upper Allyn and onto the feeders of the dam near Singleton. Which makes sense, instead of letting it run out to sea at Newcastle.
It gets up my nose no end to hear Gladys and Co going on about millions for a new stadium at Parramatta.  How many bloody football stadiums does Sydney need Angry How about some of that money being turned to a water project that will benefit those that live outside the city ??
What about using some of the defence force trucks and personel to transport water and fodder ?  All  those vehicles and people sitting around waiting for a war !!  Freight costs alone for fodder are crippling farmers.  Even tho many truckies now are doing it as cheap as they can, they still have to maintain their vehicles and fuel them, so they cant do it free.  Most fodder here in NSW is now coming from W.A. for heavens sake, as there is not much left here in the east.  Why not load up a train, or a dozen trains,  with fodder and send it over ?  Why isnt the so called leaders thinking of useful ways to help, instead of worrying about football stadiums and stupid ugly "art works " to stick in parks in Sydney  ?  Like Furious says, pretty soon we wont have any sort of crops home grown and will be forced to buy it from overseas. You cant keep increasing the population if you cant feed them !!!
Anyway, back to the RSPCA.  The management side need a dam good shake up.  And it must be very disheartening for the ground staff to see the courts let people off with a slap on the wrist for some of the cruelty cases they deal with.
There's no votes in it for Gladys AA, only from the poor starving souls out far west......the answer to it all was mooted several years ago, went nowhere......pipe the water down from the Ord River. Millions of gallons every day goes back out to sea, millions and millions......aqua farms, irrigation, hell there are so many options, get the water to those that need it, we could feed the bloody world, this is Gods garden, many if not thousands of farmers would need to diversify, re-train, but by gee, I bet they would. All it takes is a Government with visions, with balls if you like, make a decision on behalf of the coming generations.....and water the garden......it cane done, and without the the input [financially] of 3rd parties like the Chinese Gov or worse, multi nationals.......water is the most valuable resource there is, treasure it, use it wisely.

Posted By: Baguette
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 11:19am

Obviously 3bm must work for the rspca. Either that has his head in the sand. It has always been shown that they will take those to court who do not have the funds to hire a lawyer, so they give in and plead to whatever deal is on offer even when they've done nothing wrong. <div abp="2876">Then you get people who have money, who starve their animals because they are too stingy or cannot be bothered looking after them properly, and the rspca just shove it under the carpet.
When we had dealings with the RSPCA they basically admitted that to us. They only really get involved in cases were there is a good chance of conviction . Our involvement was when there was an abandon mare on public land near us. Poor thing was skin and bone , nothing in the paddock where she was . All the horse people in our street where taking it in turns to throw her some feed whilst ringing the RSPCA every day. We got Animal Welfare out but they don't have the authority to seize animals apparently. In the end a friend of ours indulged in a bit of horse theft! Took her home and got her the urgent vetinary treatment she needed. Completely illegal of course. RSPCA lost me forever after that incident.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 12:30pm

Obviously 3bm must work for the rspca. Either that has his head in the sand. It has always been shown that they will take those to court who do not have the funds to hire a lawyer, so they give in and plead to whatever deal is on offer even when they've done nothing wrong.
Then you get people who have money, who starve their animals because they are too stingy or cannot be bothered looking after them properly, and the rspca just shove it under the carpet.
Dead wrong, yet again, on pretty much everything you've written. The facts are that prosecutions of anyone are a tiny % of complaints - for obvious reasons: they cost money; they are resource consuming - taking employees away from the day to day tasks of fixing up problems caused by fwits unwilling to care for animals they are responsible for and some who simply can't cope for financial or other personal circumstances; they are distressing for "all" involved; and they are for the most part, pointless. Unlike you (that's a huge lol) I don't know what their procedures or policies on prosecution  but the statistics and anecdotal evidence (media reports) suggest that prosecution is a last resort and removal and/or humane disposal of animals is their usual recourse. 

Here's a detailed table of RSPCA stats for 2015-16. In particular you might care to look at table 5 which shows 0.4% of all complaints being prosecuted.    http://www.rspca.org.au/sites/default/files/RSPCA%20Australia%20Annual%20Statistics%202015-2016%20.pdf" rel="nofollow - https://www.rspca.org.au/sites/default/files/RSPCA%20Australia%20Annual%20Statistics%202015-2016%20.pdf

I've suggested that your previous statement which I took exception to "They would sooner throw charges against the farmers than help them" was unadulterated rubbish and I don't resile from that one little bit. However, feel free to justify it at any time. 

From my pint of view I'd suggest that: (a) the stats say you don't have a clue; (b) you are unlikely to know what attitudes and opinions even a tiny proportion of RSPCA staff or management have on farming and animal welfare; (c) you clearly know nothing about the RSPCA's work with farmers, although you MIGHT have heard of "RSPCA Approved" - look it up sometime. 

Here's a list of RSPCA Board members. You might note that the SVP is a primary producer who I'd guess understands what drought does (don't we all?) and would be particularly sympathetic to the plight of farmers and their animals. My guess is that the vast majority of "The RSPCA" also have the same understanding and empathy,

RSPCA NSW is governed by a Board of elected members who volunteer their time to preside over the organisation. The Board meets regularly to review organisational progress and assist in supporting strategic development.

Dr P Wright BVSc, Grad Dip Ag Ec

President

Dr P Wright is a veterinarian who runs his own practice at Goulburn, NSW, and treats domestic pets, livestock, wildlife and other exotic species. He has a long involvement with animal care groups, including WIRES, and in assisting the region’s local RSPCA inspector.

Mr G Hall

Senior Vice President

Mr Hall is a Life Member of RSPCA NSW and has been an RSPCA Board Member since 1983. He is the primary producer and owner of a family property near Young. He breeds Shorthorn cattle.

Mr B Pickup B.Ec ACA

Treasurer

Mr B Pickup is a partner with Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu. His work involves accounting for businesses, as well as various not-for-profit organisations. As a registered company auditor with over 25 years’ experience, his work often requires him to provide expert evidence in litigation matters, which involve accounting and business issues. He is interested in all aspects of the RSPCA, and particularly with assisting in financial matters.

Ms W Barrett Exec MBA, B Bus Dip Corporate Director, Grad Dip IR

Board Member

Ms W Barrett is Chair of RSPCA NSW’s Animal Welfare Policy Committee and was a long standing Member of the Animal Care and Ethics Committee at the University of Western Sydney. She previously held the role of President of RSPCA Auxiliary and has a special interest in progressing animal welfare, animal care and ethics. She is also a Senior Executive Governance Manager at Transport for NSW.

Ms S Cruickshank

Director

Ms S Cruickshank is a Senior Executive of the NSW Department of Premier and Cabinet and has amassed two decades of experience in policy development, advocacy and strategic communications. Prior to this, she spent 10 years in a national public affairs company, the last five years of which she was Managing Director. Throughout her life, she has been the proud owner of several shelter cats and dogs and is passionate about protecting the interests of vulnerable animals in our society.

Dr I Roth

Director

Dr I Roth worked as a veterinarian with the NSW Department of Primary Industries (NSW DPI) for 40 years in biosecurity and animal welfare. He managed the NSW DPI’s Animal Welfare Unit and worked closely with RSPCA NSW. Until his retirement in December 2015, he was the Chief Veterinary Officer for NSW. His career successes were recognised with a Public Service Medal for outstanding public service to veterinary science, particularly pertaining to animal welfare and biosecurity in NSW.

Mr A Givney

Director

Mr Givney was elected to the Board in 2010. He has worked as a Barrister-at-Law since 1987, following his retirement as a partner in a solicitors’ practice.

Mr D Robinson

Director

Mr D Robinson joined the Board in November 2014. Born in Young in NSW, he had a varied career before joining the NSW Police in 1971. He served in small rural communities across the state for 23 years but resigned to take up the position of Chief Inspector for RSPCA NSW. He served for eight years, before becoming RSPCA NSW Manager of Branches and Properties. He is keenly interested in all facets of the RSPCA, but particularly in the branches and their operations. As an RSPCA Australia Farm Assessor, he carried out inspections of piggeries accredited under the Approved Farming Scheme. In 2012, Mr Robinson retired to a 60-acre farm in Grenfell in the Mid-West NSW, where he now runs a few cattle and an alpaca.

Mr S Coleman GDip of Inv Mgt, MBA

Chief Executive Officer

Mr S Coleman is the Chief Executive Officer of RSPCA NSW and the Society Secretary. He joined RSPCA NSW as an Inspector in 1991 and contributes to animal welfare in many ways. This includes sitting on numerous government and industry committees and advisory councils, such as the Animal Welfare Advisory Council, including the Animal Welfare Advisory Council that reports directly to the Minister for Primary Industries.

Mr A Clachers LLB (Hons)

Company Secretary

Mr A Clachers is the Chief Operating Officer and the Company Secretary of RSPCA NSW. He joined RSPCA NSW as General Counsel in 2013 and has extensive experience in animal welfare law and policy. He also has significant experience in not-for-profit governance and management.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Specifics: I've done a little further reading which is illuminating, and I'd guess very few villagers or members of the public know or understand this. Many RSPCA "branches" are run by volunteers and as such they are limited by resources and law as to their ability to act on complaints. For example Orange, where the distressing case above occurred, is a volunteer branch, about which the RSPCA says: 

Our Volunteer Branches cannot investigate animal cruelty matters. To report cruelty, please phone our contact centre on  tel:13002783589" rel="nofollow - 1300 278 3589 .

As this is now a long post already I'll move to part two - a personal anecdote which proves nothing but does give the lie to your sweeping statements; a very big criticism of the RSPCA, albeit from a position of relative ignorance; and a suggestion for bleeding hearts.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 1:33pm
The anecdote: 
Some years back, towards the end of the big drought, my daily commute was past some semi-rural small holdings where the farmer ran some cattle. Maybe 50 or so. Over weeks I watched one herd lose condition until the point that some had become emaciated so I contacted the RSPCA to see what they could do. The RSPCA woman said they knew the property owner and that he was not a neglectful bloke but they'd investigate. I told them I wasn't calling to report him but to see if anything could be done, suggesting that I and other workmates would  happily contribute to some feed if it helped short term. Within a couple of days those starving cattle had been removed - hopefully to better "pasture" though I don't know. At other times in the same area local council had put temporary lines and speed advisories beside the road and allowed his cattle to graze along the verge. No-one complained afaik, nor should they have. Needless to say there was no persecution or prosecution of the farmer even though he'd allowed his cattle to get to state they shouldn't have. He was probably holding out for rain or some other miracle. 

The criticism:
In the last couple of years I've read many criticisms of the RSPCA (mostly warranted on face value, but we never get the full picture) so I did a bit of reading about their operations and FINANCES (before these latest posts). Two things which need to be said up front: (1) details are rarely found in annual reports and numbers are often aggregated so the picture is rarely clear to uneducated observers like myself; (2) I don't know the background behind their accumulations or the reasons why they are maintained. BUT, large accumulations they do have. In NSW they amount to nearly $80M on an ongoing basis. I didn't look at Vic this time but previously I found they also had large reserves - much more than I expected and would have thought necessary.  Given a lot of their outposts are run by volunteers the question we all have is obvious.

Suggestion for bleeding hearts:
Forums/social media are great for venting and sometimes even manage to get something done. However if you have concerns about big organisations and their operations - which you help fund via taxes - then give them some written feedback. Explain your concerns and criticisms clearly, but don't hold back the emotion. If enough do then eventually management and boards will take notice. Facebook often gets a response. The RSPCA doesn't provide an email address but they do have an online feedback mechanism in their contacts. I sent the NSW RSPCA a brief comment and query about their reserves today, it will be interesting to see what if any reply I get.

If you want to get a proper picture of what the RSPCA does, spend a couple of hours reading the content of their websites. Chasing sad cases of neglect is just a small part of their operations. The great pity is that they have to exist at all.

Do I support them? Of course, we'd be buggered without them. Do I support them financially? Not since reading the Vic financials a couple of years ago.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 1:54pm
3blindmice I'm talking through what they did to someone I know.  I know how she treated her animals and they were her life and also her sanity.  Yet they didn't even ask her questions they took.  They said they would take any that were ill and said a wet nose meant they were ill!    The dogs didn't get feed the day they arrived before the owner had got to clean and feed.  They took all day to get them to Sydney. They put down a bitch who was due to have puppies the next day as she was booked into the vets.  Did they get the puppies first.  They then innoculated them all (all of that was up to date and documented) and are charging her for that etc.  They bullied her and she is only just now coming out of a cycle of self doubt and ill health from all the pain she went through.  So yes the RSPCA can do good but they are by no means perfect and need to ask questions and look before they leap sometimes also.  Here local branch knew she was producing happy healthy puppies.  They didn't step in but Sydney wanted to be seen to be shutting down so called puppy farms.  THey took old desexed dogs from her who she had raised from puppyhood and because she loved her dogs couldn't just sell on when she retired them.  I was there barely three weeks before.  I saw the love, how each dog responded to their name and loved her in return.  

I know the state of my backyard after the night and morning before clean up.  I saw her cleaning and talking about each dog and never stopping because she didn't have time.  They have made her out to be a mad hoarder - yet she is a country girl who can't live without animals making a way to live after she lost her family to ill health.  She had to survive alot and her dogs got her through.  They were a team and her special friends.  THey never went without as they got better food than my single boy gets.  Oh she didn't have all the things like underfloor heating - something most of the puppies wouldn't have in future also.  

So 3blindmice I am angry at the RSPCA.  There are animals out there that do need their help.  There are dogs who are starved and beaten.  There are dogs who are taught to fight and kill.  Not these.  Most were a tad overweight if anything.  They had two vets who looked after them and I'm just glad that Censored is finally coming to think again and know they weren't right. 

They haven't believed that each dog had a name but they did.  They knew their names and while playing while Censored cleaned and feed and washed bowls there would be a big sweep of dogs back to her and she name each and pat and laugh and send them off to play again.  I know what I saw was love and devotion.  Far and beyond anything I could manage.  

Yet this is one of the people they are taking to caught.  Yes they want money for those innoculations etc which the dogs didn't even need!

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 3:43pm
No doubt their vets make mistakes, as do their field officers Furious. They had to pay a cattle owner $1.4M a while back for what was found to be precipitate action in having the undernourished animals slaughtered. On the other hand those who reported the problem probably whinged that they didn't act quickly enough. 

There are too many cases like the one you've referred to. People rescuing cats and dogs from the street until they suddenly have 20, then 30 etc. Neighbors report them because they see the state of the animals and/or the yard/house. They sometimes see that the person can't manage. We occasionally see the results on TV. The animals MAY get fed and watered but they don't get washed, they don't get routine vet care and sometimes live in filth (not suggesting that any of these apply to your friend). Such things can't be let go. As I don't know the details of this or any other case I can't comment on how and why the RSPCA stepped in or why they take a course of action but I would ask why they didn't plead her case before the RSPCA took court action - which is a rarity as the numbers clearly show.

Two things I'd like to know about the RSPCA. (1) Does it log all reports and require documentation of actions, does it audit same; and (2) what are the large $$$$ reserves doing apart from earning income which is then used for daily operations. As far as (1) goes that would be a minimal requirement if I was handing over significant taxpayer funds. 

As a follow up to Baguette's comment above I'd simply say that verbal communications and feedback rarely work unless you're talking to someone unconnected with the problem/office. If you provide written feedback there is a record which can later be used if required. That's one of the reasons I don't like online forms. They restrict what you can say AND unless you copy what you've written in their little website window you don't have your own record if follow-up is required.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 3:45pm
....why friends didn't plead her case before the RSPCA took court action - which is a rarity as the numbers clearly show.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 4:13pm
THey came and took in one day 3b.  No checking on her or saying this has to fixed or changed.  She had no one to help her or support her. Never even let her do anything.  But she help catch her friends to try and stop them being scared stiff - because that was what was happening.  Those dogs were petrified by the people rescuing them.  

I was there three weeks before.  All they saw was old and not spick and span.  But a few hours later it would of been cleaned out and all dogs feed.  

And I hate online forms.  THey confuse me and defeat me.  I hate that jobs are now all online.  I work on a computor so know the great tool and help they provide but they cut you off from people.

A one lady on the pension is having to prove all she provided for her dogs in court.  She is the one made feel guilty for caring and loving and working so hard that a lesser person would of just given in.  She had two vets who looked after her dogs.  They were not filthy or ill.  They had routine checks.  They may of had dirt in the ears (some) but so do any dog which rolls in the dirt at the first chance they can!  You think what you want.  I know she didn't have a perfect set up by city standards.  But cleaning was not an issue.  In fact I've seen the video put to TV by RSPCA of her dogs arriving after a day in small cages with no food.  No mattered fur or dull eyes and some positively overweight.  Where was the abuse.  They didn't stop when they saw healthy dogs.  Didn't think - Have we heard right here.  These dogs aren't abused.  No they just took and then went back almost 10 months later and bullied her some more.  You haven't been breeding and she replied no you told me not too shaking in her boots because of the way it was said.  She just is coming right know because she realised that what they said and what happened are two different things.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 4:20pm
Oh and I've seen dogs with mattered fur and dull eyes and no hope.  So surely they could of seen the difference immediately.  They were the experts who said a wet nose meant the dog was sick.  3b there was injustice that day and it unfortunately reflects badly on all the good people in the RSPCA trying to help the animals needing help.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 4:25pm
And she didn't rescue expect when people asked her to help reform a dog with bad manners.  She is good at getting to the reason and fixing it.  She had families of dogs which she could tell you the history of the dog, mother, father, grandmother etc etc.  Why this one couldn't breed which she was rehoming - already sold but they took that also even when she explained someone was picking it up.  I wasn't sick or ill and they said to begin with can we take any that are sick - she said yes as she knew none were.   If the local branch lady hadn't said grab some before that take the lot she wouldn't have any.  THey still are looked after as well as she can and better than most city dogs I know.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 4:26pm
Oh I wrote to the RSPCA.  Didn't get a reply.  DIdn't get even a call or email to say they read the email.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

Oh I wrote to the RSPCA.  Didn't get a reply.  DIdn't get even a call or email to say they read the email.
One upon a time RSPCA were super, brilliant, new breed now, my Mum was on the lady's auxiliary and ran their op shop, when it was a ONE only......now I wouldn't bother, they make me sick, so I'm in your camp Furious, don't think you're Robinson Crusoe.

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 5:15pm
Sounds like a sad story Furious and I've no doubt in almost every case involving individuals there is a HUGE power disparity. At least with a partner or family you have backup and witnesses. I've read similar stories about "bullying" from their officers. Although only one side of the story, even if half true they depict a lack of maturity, common sense and fairness. Not to mention dogmatic pig-headedness - which appears to have been what cost them the $1.4M mentioned above. But we don't hear of the 90% which are handled properly of course. Policing of animals is a thankless task which would be horrific for most animal lovers. These may be isolated cases but they appear to pop up regularly which suggests they might be employing too many with the wrong attitudes or not providing the correct training.

Letters to papers often work better. They get read by the public who then start to question the organisation and its culture. Then again the RSPCA might consider some collateral damage is worth it for a high clear up rate and improved animal welfare?

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 9:57pm

Sounds like a sad story Furious and I've no doubt in almost every case involving individuals there is a HUGE power disparity. At least with a partner or family you have backup and witnesses. I've read similar stories about "bullying" from their officers. Although only one side of the story, even if half true they depict a lack of maturity, common sense and fairness. Not to mention dogmatic pig-headedness - which appears to have been what cost them the $1.4M mentioned above. But we don't hear of the 90% which are handled properly of course. Policing of animals is a thankless task which would be horrific for most animal lovers. These may be isolated cases but they appear to pop up regularly which suggests they might be employing too many with the wrong attitudes or not providing the correct training.

Letters to papers often work better. They get read by the public who then start to question the organisation and its culture. Then again the RSPCA might consider some collateral damage is worth it for a high clear up rate and improved animal welfare?

Oh they do plenty if you call putting down 100's upon thousands of animals in their care, running adverts in the papers against rodeos, horse racing, grey hounds and whatever else, ads that would cost upwards of 90k each time.

Yet you can call, and IF you are lucky for them to even come and check the animals you are calling about, they can be starving and on deaths door, and they are happy to leave them there in care of the owner because they have a bit of muddy water in troughs that haven't been cleaned in years and there is a bit of grass in the paddock!

Yet they will then go out to another case, that the owner has spent 1000's on in vets and feed etc, and they'll give no warning and seize the animal, and take the owner to court.

Each state on the east coast, rspca has at least $10million+ in surplus sitting in their accounts.  Then they cry poor, AFTER getting $4million a year from the government plus millions in donations, and say they don't have enough inspectors.

Yes, you will get some in the offices that breed livestock or are vets, but they aren't out on the ground doing the work!
The inspectors on the ground usually have NFI about livestock or horses. You only have to watch reruns of their tv show to see that!

As for your prosecution stats, that is an incredibly low %. Which in itself is disgusting, that means they are letting people who should be charged, get away with it! I know about 5 people in vic involved in horses alone that have been starving and neglecting for years, and the rspca just tell them to move the animals out of public sight! Angry

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 12:20am
Another news flash for you. Animals often have to be put down because of their condition, because no-one wants them, and the RSPCA has finite working resources as far as we know. Sad but true. Exactly the same position that farmers sometimes find themselves in. Hobson's choice. But of course the RSPCA isn't the cause of the problems in the first place, they simply exist to clean up the mess. 

If you need assistance understanding prosecution rates - the ones you had no idea about when you originally posted - you might like to google and read widely about the reasons. It's all pretty obvious but you still appear not to get it. 

Done that reading on how the RSPCA works with farmers yet? Any idea on what the ratio of prosecutions to complaints involving farmers is? You must have that data given your statement above but I'm betting not.

As an expert on their operations though (par 2,3 above) please throw us a bone and give us some factual information on a few particular cases. The waffle I find is unconvincing. Some locational info will help. You can PM me the names of the 5 who starve their horses but are told to "hide them" if you like. I'll pass the info on to appropriate authorities. Do you have tapes of the conversations by chance? 

Perhaps you're just unlucky and your local field agents are all bad eggs - or maybe they're good eggs trying to help struggling people who have "spent 1000s on vets and feed etc"?

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 2:28am

Another news flash for you. Animals often have to be put down because of their condition, because no-one wants them, and the RSPCA has finite working resources as far as we know. Sad but true. Exactly the same position that farmers sometimes find themselves in. Hobson's choice. But of course the RSPCA isn't the cause of the problems in the first place, they simply exist to clean up the mess. 

If you need assistance understanding prosecution rates - the ones you had no idea about when you originally posted - you might like to google and read widely about the reasons. It's all pretty obvious but you still appear not to get it. 

Done that reading on how the RSPCA works with farmers yet? Any idea on what the ratio of prosecutions to complaints involving farmers is? You must have that data given your statement above but I'm betting not.

As an expert on their operations though (par 2,3 above) please throw us a bone and give us some factual information on a few particular cases. The waffle I find is unconvincing. Some locational info will help. You can PM me the names of the 5 who starve their horses but are told to "hide them" if you like. I'll pass the info on to appropriate authorities. Do you have tapes of the conversations by chance? 

Perhaps you're just unlucky and your local field agents are all bad eggs - or maybe they're good eggs trying to help struggling people who have "spent 1000s on vets and feed etc"?
LOL

Posted By: early4lunch
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 10:29pm
arrogant wannabees

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 11:21pm
You know all of them? What did they all wannabe?

Posted By: early4lunch
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 8:42pm
dictators

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 12:55pm
Just found out that Greyhounds apparently aren't allowed to have bones with any blood or meat attached as it will make them vicious.  Who is in charge with these weird ideas.  Dogs love a bone and need bones for healthy teeth.  If trained right it doesn't mean you can't take a bone off a dog - I wouldn't do that with most dogs but can with the two here it need be.  Australia has become so scary to live in.

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 3:14pm
I know nothing about greyhounds but it sounded like anecdotal bs to me Furious so I did a quick perusal. It may have some basis but there's nothing which suggests the above on the RSPCA website and nothing my brief look found to suggest it has any substance apart from the well-known behavioral issue below.

This is the one piece of (logical) info which might explain what you heard. 

Racing Greyhounds 
The diet of racing Greyhounds usually includes raw meat and softened kibble. In some racing kennel environments it is not appropriate to provide dogs with bones to chew as this can lead to aggression and fights.
http://www.greenhounds.com.au/Uploads/File/DENTAL%20CARE%20FOR%20YOUR%20PET%20GREYHOUND%20final.pdf" rel="nofollow - http://www.greenhounds.com.au/Uploads/File/DENTAL%20CARE%20FOR%20YOUR%20PET%20GREYHOUND%20final.pdf

Found a related reference which applies generally to dogs given bones when more than one dog is around (many people will be familiar with this already) - give a dog a bone separately and allow it a private space to do its thing.

Other references (bone in diet):
http://www.gbota.com.au/Uploads/Trainers%20Seminar/Dr%20John%20Kohnke%20-%20Feeding%20the%20Racing%20Greyhound.pdf" rel="nofollow - http://www.gbota.com.au/Uploads/Trainers%20Seminar/Dr%20John%20Kohnke%20-%20Feeding%20the%20Racing%20Greyhound.pdf

From my brief reading I'd suggest the comment is generalised tosh. Anyone with a dog needs to know its proper diet and understand dog behaviour, esp where kids are involved/exposed. Anyone racing dogs needs to understand diet, training, injury and kennel behaviour. It ain't rocket surgery.

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 4:29pm
I have two dogs here they get their bones and I can take them back if needed.  Yes they eat one in the back and one on the bed.  Both try for the bed area so it can be a rush then the other just goes around the house to separate.  Bones are necessary to a dog not just a want.  And no its what has been told to someone I know who has greyhounds.  My dog has greyhound or a courser breed as a father and it doesn't get upset by food.  Loves the stuff but will let us take it back.  Something you train for from the start if you have children around who may pick something up.  THis is coming from people who are telling them what to do.

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 8:52pm
Just when you think this organisation can't sink to any lower depths Angry
MEDIA RELEASE:

100 bull terrier dogs seized from Queensland puppy farm horror

Janelsa Ouma, The Courier-Mail

• WARNING: DISTURBING

MORE than one hundred English Bull Terriers have been rescued from a puppy farm north west of Gladstone in a raid by the RSPCA today after a complaint was made.

Inspectors found the property in a “deplorable” state with 110 puppies and breeding dogs living in their own prison of squalor and waste, said RSPCA Queensland Chief Inspector Daniel Young.

“The conditions were appalling,” he said.

“Many were in small cages with no enrichment and were surrounded by their own urine.”

The pups were purebred and could be sold for a decent amount

“It was a money-making puppy farm,” Mr Young said.

The dogs are now in the care of the RSPCA across Bundaberg, Rockhampton and Wacol.

All dogs & puppies pictured look in perfect condition to me Confused

Jean Purcell a member here & owner of show dogs herself, shared this on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/jean.purcell.5/posts/1903803349656470" rel="nofollow - -

https://www.facebook.com/katherine.wishart?__tn__=%2CdCH-R-R&eid=ARAimfiry6GoOI8HS_TfkHf-BmqOvjTaquLJHCVypoWBnRjjjwOkXipLZrNIRtVrWdGULeDxHjbQjxyf&hc_ref=ARQHNpo_55d_CArC52KyuUPT7nT63qPMfDYNRKEA5VEv19dCk1IHAU52Py7QYASFTck&fref=nf" rel="nofollow - Katherine Wishart
    https://www.facebook.com/katherine.wishart/posts/2381305318567626" rel="nofollow - - - 5 hrs

Copied post. Very interesting and not at all surprising sadly.
    Okay so here's the real story on the 110 Bull Terriers recently featured in the news, a more disgusting tale of woe than you could ever have imagined.
    The property owner did not have 110 breeding dogs. Some of them were rescue dogs awaiting new homes and some were other people's dogs who had been left with the property owner to keep them safe from the fires in the area.
    The fire situation worsened and early in the morning she crated all the dogs ready to evacuate them. When it became obvious that she wasn't going to be able to get them all out in time, in desperation she called the rspca to see if they would/could assist with evacuating the dogs.
    The rspca said they wouldn't help unless she surrendered them to the rspca and so she was placed in a drastic situation and agreed to surrender them.
    The rspca arrived on the property and they then locked the owner in the house for 14 hours, refusing to let her tend to the dogs or give them water. This included a 2 week old puppy which was being bottle fed, they refused to let her feed it. God knows what has happened to that little one now as the rspca were too busy letting the whole situation deteriorate so they could get the pictures they needed of dogs panting in crates with no water etc etc.
    The dogs included imports and some of the top Bull Terrier bloodlines in the world. These lines have all now been lost to Australia. All dogs over 12 months old were given to Bull Terrier Rescue under rspca terms ie they MUST be desexed before being rehomed. The 40 young dogs and puppies have been kept by the rspca and they will be sold for top dollar. A nice little nest egg for the rspca, $80,000+ for very little work.
    The dogs were all in excellent condition and they were clean, fat, healthy and in fact could have left the property and gone straight to a show they were so clean. They all had wagging tails and did not show a single sign that any had been abused or neglected in any way. The video of the dogs in the dirty crates was taken after the 14 hours of rspca neglect had made the situation look as bad as it possibly could look. You'll notice the video only featured one room and the shed and did not show any other areas of the property ie her runs, her facilities etc.
    I can't even imagine the pain the owner has been put through watching the rspca do this to her beloved dogs by keeping her away from them on a very hot day with an imminent fire threat looming. Then to wake up the next morning and not have a single dog on the property would be soul destroying. Wondering if the bottle fed baby had survived. My heart really goes out to the owner of the dogs, l hope she gets help and does not have a complete breakdown over what they did to her beloved dogs.
    The rspca have now truly shown what an absolutely despicable bunch of psychopaths they are. Liars, bullies and completely heartless, they should not be given a mouse to care for let alone valuable breeding dogs like these.
    So now you have all the facts, yes there are always two sides to any story, and this just shows you can never believe any story the rspca tells 💔💔💔

-------------

Posted By: JudgeHolden
    Date Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 9:03pm
    Wait...what??? They locked this woman in her house for 14 hours? In a fire threatened property. I call complete bullsh1t on that...

Posted By: Whale
    Date Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 9:15pm
    Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

Wait...what??? They locked this woman in her house for 14 hours? In a fire threatened property. I call complete bullsh1t on that...

Now that you mention it I agree. I doubt  the RSPCA has the authority , as a matter of fact i cannot think of any organisation that could do that, even the police would not be allowed to lock someone in their house.  Maybe a spy agency on the sly

-------------
    Victor Orban 1.74 m, Michael Bloomberg 1.73 m, Emmanual Macron 1.77 m, George Soros 1.8 m

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 9:30pm
    They wouldn’t have the right and they wouldn’t have the means. How exactly do you lock someone in their own home? For 14 hour? And what sort of moron sits there and doesn’t call the police if they tried. The whole things absurd.

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 9:43pm
    I've posted to Katherine Wishart (Cranbourne) who copy/pasted herself: Can this be verified? How exactly do you lock someone in their own home? For 14 hour? And what sort of moron sits there and doesn’t call the police if they tried. The whole thing's absurd.
    And what about the owners of dogs she was looking after?

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 10:26pm
    Forget about being locked in the house for a second, IF they did in fact make her surrender them to help evacuate, that's grounds for appeal. There is no way that would be a legal surrender, especially when she wasn't even owner of some of them???? IF this is in fact true, I really hope this woman goes after the rspca, as well as the other owners.

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 10:36pm
    https://www.rspcaqld.org.au/blog/fact-check/bull-terrier-raid-get-the-facts?fbclid=IwAR2CKI5eegIKPO4-_rNo9VV72X0YZQB6PwmOTHhNKV-55p43s49omek9gpI" rel="nofollow - https://www.rspcaqld.org.au/blog/fact-check/bull-terrier-raid-get-the-facts?fbclid=IwAR2CKI5eegIKPO4-_rNo9VV72X0YZQB6PwmOTHhNKV-55p43s49omek9gpI

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 10:45pm
    Good article, what a ridiculous claim that the owner was locked in her house.

I think the RSPCA did a good job, it is incomprehensible how these and other animals are treated, pure callous greed

-------------
    Victor Orban 1.74 m, Michael Bloomberg 1.73 m, Emmanual Macron 1.77 m, George Soros 1.8 m

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 10:52pm
    Dog breeders are strange people.   I know more than a few who breed various types .  Also friends with 5 or 6 who show dogs regularly.   And also with some who judge at dog shows.
    Trust me.  Dog people are even stranger than horse people, by a long way. 
    Those dogs looked in good nik but the conditions looked horrible.    Why on earth would anyone in their right mind have 110 dogs !!!Wacko

-------------
    animals before people.

Posted By: anabel
    Date Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 10:59pm
    It seems the RSPCA are selling the dogs for an “adoption” fee of $1500! No wonder they are copping heat over this. What a rort, regardless of the situation they “rescued” them from. Once again, it seems they only act when it’s in their best interests.

Posted By: Shrunk in the Wash
    Date Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 8:31am
    It does appear to be legit this time

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 8:35am
    No the same thing or similar thing happened to the person I was talking about.  They just do everything they can do to shut down people who are doing nothing wrong.  This is there livelyhood and probably they are doing it because they love dogs.  

The dogs belonging to other people is similar.  The rescue dogs is similar.  The self interest by the RSPCA and the crowing - is similar.  They don't care about the dogs anymore they care about the money and notoriety.

So people who don't have to funds to go up against them.  All the money has to go back into the dogs sit in court and get charged for living a life they loved.  They tell whoopers in court and no one can say a word or they are sued.  The one I know about has a neighbour who knew how well her dogs were treated and how she helped anyone who needed help with a problem dog and could get to the issue.  She saw alot of what happened but her testimonial couldn't be read.  No she would of been sued.  My testimonial of what I saw only two weeks before the raid had to be very careful also.  It pretty much said the opposite of everything the RSPCA was saying about her in court.

So yes I believe they can be that petty.

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 8:38am
    If you read it AA she didn't usually have 110 dogs.  Some were they escaping fires closer to their homes.  Then this house also came under threat.  But surely the owners of those dogs can walk in and get them back.  I do know someone who had dogs with my friend who walked in and demanded her dogs and got them back.  So they do back down sometimes.

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 8:50am
    I do agree that dog breeders are well different is a kind word.  They live for their dogs though.  Well the one I know did.  The cruel thing is she can no longer breed and she had lines of dashhounds which were unique also.  I don't find them my favourite breed and she loves them.  But with everything desexed those lines have also been lost.

It would be like an old stud like Widden being raided and all the mares desexed.  Some old AUstralian lines only found in their paddocks would be lost.  So what some would say.  I say you loose out on unique properties that those lines carried.  In a world which is getting smaller by the minuet any difference can become very important in keeping certain breeds healthy.

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 9:09am
    Thanks Einstein Smile there's a world of difference between the 2 'stories Shocked

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 9:36am
    And once again pictures tell a story which can also be set up folks.  With my friend they took pictures of the dogs in the RSPCA cage!  Not their runs so that tells a story also.

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 12:36pm
    Yes thanks Einstein.

"Many more people then blindly, or maliciously, re-publish this information. They either don’t question what is written, regardless of how nonsensical it might seem, or they stand to benefit from grandstanding and having their moment in the spotlight."

Standard approach used by aholes to spread disinformaton. Read this, you couldn't invent it, but he did and plenty swallowed it no matter how obviously ridiculous he made it.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/nothing-on-this-page-is-real-how-lies-become-truth-in-online-america/2018/11/17/edd44cc8-e85a-11e8-bbdb-72fdbf9d4fed_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.df8c4eba093c" rel="nofollow - https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/nothing-on-this-page-is-real-how-lies-become-truth-in-online-america/2018/11/17/edd44cc8-e85a-11e8-bbdb-72fdbf9d4fed_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.df8c4eba093c

Posted By: linghi11
    Date Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 1:12pm

https://www.rspcaqld.org.au/blog/fact-check/bull-terrier-raid-get-the-facts?fbclid=IwAR2CKI5eegIKPO4-_rNo9VV72X0YZQB6PwmOTHhNKV-55p43s49omek9gpI" rel="nofollow - https://www.rspcaqld.org.au/blog/fact-check/bull-terrier-raid-get-the-facts?fbclid=IwAR2CKI5eegIKPO4-_rNo9VV72X0YZQB6PwmOTHhNKV-55p43s49omek9gpI

“Perhaps the most dangerous of these is that it gives a voice to people who do not know the facts, or the facts do not suit their personal agenda. So they make up their own version without thinking of the harm they are causing to good people and the helpless animals who rely on them for their care and wellbeing.”

I wish they and their cohorts would follow their own advice on that one and stop misleading the general public about horse racing.

-------------
    to the victor

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 1:40pm
    What specifically did you have in mind?

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 2:05pm

Yes thanks Einstein.

"Many more people then blindly, or maliciously, re-publish this information. They either don’t question what is written, regardless of how nonsensical it might seem, or they stand to benefit from grandstanding and having their moment in the spotlight."

Standard approach used by aholes to spread disinformaton. Read this, you couldn't invent it, but he did and plenty swallowed it no matter how obviously ridiculous he made it.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/nothing-on-this-page-is-real-how-lies-become-truth-in-online-america/2018/11/17/edd44cc8-e85a-11e8-bbdb-72fdbf9d4fed_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.df8c4eba093c" rel="nofollow - https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/nothing-on-this-page-is-real-how-lies-become-truth-in-online-america/2018/11/17/edd44cc8-e85a-11e8-bbdb-72fdbf9d4fed_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.df8c4eba093c

Idiocracy  good term and we have our own idiocrat on this very site,  hint 9,11,13 Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 3:16pm

Quoting old and since disproved research on wastage, scaring people with tongue ties and pretty much everything their doctor had to say on the 4 corners piece.

In this case their story sounds a bit more plausible than the dog owner’s but when they’ve been found untruthful in their dealings with racing it’s not a stretch to imagine them lying here too.

-------------
    to the victor

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 3:49pm
    Sorry if I offend.  I don't have an agenda.  I love animals but I've seen a different side also.  I was pro RSPCA.  They not only let me down they let the animals down.  Also many good people left because of the change of policy.  

They are too powerful with no one able to say think about the harm you are doing to people also.

Animals are important and you help the people to help both.  My friend was capable of looking after her dogs.  No issue in care or attention.  They used power and lies and she is only now overcoming the depression they sent her into.  She didn't have the money to plead innocent.  So because of that she is guilty when she wasn't!  She couldn't defend herself or even tell what happened during the raid.

How is that fair folks.

Posted By: Shrunk in the Wash
    Date Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 4:16pm
    It’s not fair at all

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 8:50pm
    Originally posted by linghi11 linghi11 wrote:

Quoting old and since disproved research on wastage, scaring people with tongue ties and pretty much everything their doctor had to say on the 4 corners piece.

In this case their story sounds a bit more plausible than the dog owner’s but when they’ve been found untruthful in their dealings with racing it’s not a stretch to imagine them lying here too.

Some links please.

The industry "research" on wastage - discussed on here previously - is a crock of shyte and will be until proper lifetime tracking and auditing is introduced. They have no interest in knowing the facts until the numbers improve. Understandable but dishonest nevertheless.

Tongue ties have been banned in some sports and in other racing jurisdictions I believe. There is also a study (which I can't be bothered finding) which examines the negative effects on racehorses. People on here have reported the results of inexperienced/uncaring people fitting them iirc. The issue is far from simple. 

Can't recall what their rep said on the 4C report but I do recall there being nothing particularly controversial said by anyone. The whole report was a naive but unintended whitewash. Racing got off very light.

The RSPCA and its staff have flaws, but the reality is that they haven't gone hard on racing at all.

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 11:01pm

Thanks Einstein Smile there's a world of difference between the 2 'stories Shocked

Maybe that's because one of them is a complete fantasy. The bullsh!t fairly drips from it. You need to stop with the facebook feeds. It's embarrassing.

Posted By: Baguette
    Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 7:18am
    Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

Maybe that's because one of them is a complete fantasy. The bullsh!t fairly drips from it. You need to stop with the facebook feeds. It's embarrassing.
    We have to keep our eye on the RSPCA though Judge . They have pretty wide ranging powers as far as things like accessing private property goes. Where the police would need a warrant the RSPCA inspectors don’t . This of course is necessary to protect animals but if you get a power crazy inspector with a grudge it’s simply not right. Furious is correct that most people find it easier to just cop the fine and move on. I think we have to hold these Inspectors to account. But having said that in this particular case I agree the dog owners story is a bit implausible.

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 8:31pm
    When vets too are speaking out publicly against this organisation it lends credibility to what many of the general public have been saying for a long time Disapprove

https://www.facebook.com/nano.abbas.927?__tn__=%2CdCH-R-R&eid=ARDWXKOiR-pFeci0kqVAR8pq3NG0N6fmMo0xdg1TbxeDN0bEu5hmdqzwbIhvjvGP5M4VssP9V_DkJNXH&hc_ref=ARSXC8QVjYzBc6b1hbQk3jC2QyksvIWJEoicyRF_b2LJcEEqB94bQ-xBGoOwbdz03bo&fref=nf" rel="nofollow - Nafela Rifaii
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1943824422522536&set=a.1376667735904877&type=3" rel="nofollow - - - - -
    - - -
    I’d like to make an awareness post. I often see clueless people on here making comments about how lovely the RSPCA are. If you don’t work in the animal care industry I reckon you have no idea. I rescue cats every single day, and I work in the animal care industry. This is just one of many incidents. Friday I received a phone call about a little kitten which was abandoned at the park. I rushed there to find this little one whom is no older then 2 days old. The vet clinic I work at being 2 hours away, and the park being closest to the RSPCA, my only option was to rush there to buy kitten milk replacement formula. They took one look at the kitten and not knowing that I work in a vet clinic and know my rights said to me right away, “you have to surrender the kitten to be euthanised. It’s far too young to survive on its own, you are inexperienced and the kitten will die anyways so we need to put it to sleep” I then informed them that I am not an idiot, that I work in the animal care industry, that I have experience hand rearing newborn kittens and I’m not here to start a debate, I simply wish to buy formula. The vet then said to me “hang on, I’ll go get formula from the back store and I’ll be back in a moment”. She reappeared 20 minutes later and said to me “I’m sorry but I’ve consulted with my co workers and we have decided not to sell you any milk because you are very irresponsible and the humane thing to do is to euthanise this kitten and we have the rights to seize the kitten off you”... I made it clear to her that I was going to give the kitten a chance instead of murdering it and that even if he has 1% chance of living we should at least try. I took the kitten with me and drove off. Of course they tried to persuade me to hand over the kitten to be euthanised before I left and one of them even followed me outside. I drove to my local vets and purchased milk from there. Day 3 and the little kitty is as healthy as ever and has not died. Like I’ve said this is just one incident.

Matter of the fact is, the RSPCA are euthanising thousands and thousand of animals yearly and they need to be held accountable for this genocide. People need to be educated on this so called organisation that they are so quick and eager to sponsor, when in fact only a fraction of the money raised for animal welfare is actually used on the animals 🙄

Edit: of course after sharing my encounter with all of you, the RSPCA have contacted me and tried to hit me with the “defamation” card hoping to scare me into deleting this post, but that’s exactly what they want and I am not backing down. The world needs to know exactly what they’re responsible for, in hopes that people will not donate and sponsor them anymore.

https://www.facebook.com/megan.appleby.71" rel="nofollow - Megan Appleby I'm a vet in Nth Vic who is disgusted by the RSPCA. They are about money making and picking on easy targets. Blatant cruelty acts we have reported to them have not been dealt with as they are deemed too hard yet they waste their time and donated money on chasing easy targets. They bully people by threatening court actions. Stand firm Nafela. and please people DON'T DONATE ANY MONEY TO THIS USELESS SOCIETY

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 2:48pm
    How bad must they get before positive action is taken Angry

https://postimages.org/" rel="nofollow">

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 3:10pm
    OMG..  Has anyone done anything since this was posted, Gay  ???
    I bet a lot here wish they were close enough to help the dog.
    That is horrific.  The poor poor animal. People who do this should just be taken out and shot.

-------------
    animals before people.

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 3:12pm
    I would assume the person who took the photo did everything they could to help the poor thing. 

Humans are a disgusting species. 

-------------
    reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 3:37pm
    Yes in my friends case her next door neighbour who knew the dogs were well cared for and loved wrote a testimonial for her.  It couldn't be used due to the chances of the RSPCA going for a defamation against her.  So they get away with it.  Don't think I posted before but the one charged and unable to defend herself had to go to get fingerprinted.  Only trouble is through a life of hard work she has no fingerprints!  She feed, watered loved and protected her dogs but as a breeder they could use her for promoting their good work at shutting down a breeder.  This poor dog above needs their help.  Unfortunately looking at it the first thing they would do is put it down.  They put down at least one dog which was due to whelp and too stressed.  Hope they saved the pups.  They put down another young dog my friend was nursing as her vet gave it and chance and knew the care it would get.  No they took it and put it down. 

The above dog deserves to be loved so needs to be rescued but if one of us did it we would be charged.   That said I hope they can get their act together and return to the work they should do and stop trying to earn money.  They are a charity set up to protect the helpless.  Not 

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 4:48pm
    My FB is flooded with similar stories but here's the latest, from last week Angry

https://www.facebook.com/janine.mccarthy.94?__tn__=lC-R&eid=ARAQxQ9C9BJb8FdphsvzO-uAi-IXUsmK4JNuwNP1sz_zyJ45LtAmRg8CB4MKr4jG6aXYGdjsxC_B4KJW&hc_ref=ARTW2Jf-lvzjYkFMPYuVsMai8-E-z-fPg2QT8Uxn4jkyFjrj-aFpI2iwASOV4qrFU0Q&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARBg0I5ulGUYCWut4tmivcq95roP_UNgHfrL28ERzCGG_XVR4hhk2lJpnWsEl6TKy2-D6DXy6PXMjsINic-3b5zhxVaL97y_T3Lg7ADyeJsis6UICa8CRT_22yF6LBBlEO39EUQeCElXzA3vig6UyDenXcfkR4xvWfscGIDa5wGVPoGnUnGwHjipPpqLuprqWTZH82TRe1Tf9BrsuF9nF36thnlUN_so371kTo8tWtIb_lS2IlZ8F2ojKeRT5jwDbWsuNfr6q4vscKLGCjnPLe-grmCiVslpvfFFU54lsz7pBhj7TWp2Fmn_m-O_UlAXN5kgLaAmeiwtmX3h_YHztcUnY33JTNqggqY" rel="nofollow - Janine McCarthy
    https://www.facebook.com/janine.mccarthy.94/posts/1971595139635209?__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARBg0I5ulGUYCWut4tmivcq95roP_UNgHfrL28ERzCGG_XVR4hhk2lJpnWsEl6TKy2-D6DXy6PXMjsINic-3b5zhxVaL97y_T3Lg7ADyeJsis6UICa8CRT_22yF6LBBlEO39EUQeCElXzA3vig6UyDenXcfkR4xvWfscGIDa5wGVPoGnUnGwHjipPpqLuprqWTZH82TRe1Tf9BrsuF9nF36thnlUN_so371kTo8tWtIb_lS2IlZ8F2ojKeRT5jwDbWsuNfr6q4vscKLGCjnPLe-grmCiVslpvfFFU54lsz7pBhj7TWp2Fmn_m-O_UlAXN5kgLaAmeiwtmX3h_YHztcUnY33JTNqggqY&__tn__=-R" rel="nofollow - - ·

This is a long post but well worth the read if you have been following the story of the 80 rescued dogs. 70 were rescued privately and are all doing well, starting to play with toys and each other, being socialised, some already settled into family homes and thriving.

10 were 'rescued' by the RSPCA and put into isolation for five months. FIVE MONTHS. Four were killed two days ago by the RSPCA, and their puppies put up for sale for $1,200.00 each. I'm stunned by the apparent lack of professionalism and compassion shown by people who are supposed to be there for the animals. This post is by one of the groups who rescued some of the 70 dogs.

https://www.facebook.com/WISHANIMALRESCUETEAM/?__tn__=kCH-R&eid=ARB2g8RUYRi7iiIiPlaQ0JzflmGGVeRajN37RxyprdXX341vcctqKHxdSQO0wlxpPhm9GVAlQ3wkpX5O&hc_ref=ARRoMOknOaEC0zPskwHJoWIQ2IJxXLdI2FZk6KdaSsqFzZ0Ts2KcFa27Zq_aDZr6ehY&fref=nf&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARBg0I5ulGUYCWut4tmivcq95roP_UNgHfrL28ERzCGG_XVR4hhk2lJpnWsEl6TKy2-D6DXy6PXMjsINic-3b5zhxVaL97y_T3Lg7ADyeJsis6UICa8CRT_22yF6LBBlEO39EUQeCElXzA3vig6UyDenXcfkR4xvWfscGIDa5wGVPoGnUnGwHjipPpqLuprqWTZH82TRe1Tf9BrsuF9nF36thnlUN_so371kTo8tWtIb_lS2IlZ8F2ojKeRT5jwDbWsuNfr6q4vscKLGCjnPLe-grmCiVslpvfFFU54lsz7pBhj7TWp2Fmn_m-O_UlAXN5kgLaAmeiwtmX3h_YHztcUnY33JTNqggqY" rel="nofollow - WISH Animal Rescue Team Perth WA

https://www.facebook.com/WISHANIMALRESCUETEAM/videos/287436298840310/?__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARBg0I5ulGUYCWut4tmivcq95roP_UNgHfrL28ERzCGG_XVR4hhk2lJpnWsEl6TKy2-D6DXy6PXMjsINic-3b5zhxVaL97y_T3Lg7ADyeJsis6UICa8CRT_22yF6LBBlEO39EUQeCElXzA3vig6UyDenXcfkR4xvWfscGIDa5wGVPoGnUnGwHjipPpqLuprqWTZH82TRe1Tf9BrsuF9nF36thnlUN_so371kTo8tWtIb_lS2IlZ8F2ojKeRT5jwDbWsuNfr6q4vscKLGCjnPLe-grmCiVslpvfFFU54lsz7pBhj7TWp2Fmn_m-O_UlAXN5kgLaAmeiwtmX3h_YHztcUnY33JTNqggqY&__tn__=H-R" rel="nofollow - - - 5 April at 08:31 ·

We are feeling a little exhausted this week (but far, far from over it)after begging for these 10 plus innocent lives for 2 week - to no avail. Here in this video, while tears ran down my face from exhaustion and excitement, as we headed back from SA, loaded up with dogs in our car and the WISH RV full to the rim and dog trailer full of love and with all 42 of us just wanting to get home to WA. We put our favourite Jimmy Barnes on and got behind this truckie, who didn’t even know - that he was bringing us 42 home safely - after an exhausting 5 days on the road to rescue. Whoever you are, we thank you, you didnt even know that you were at the time our gurdian angel and thanks Jimmy you rock...
    But I need to say this.
    Zoo’s here have all changed. Look what Steve Irwin did and his wonderful family continue to do. They made all their animals environmentss, as natural as possible.
    Every time we are sent a video from the public, in regards to this issue (and we have so many now) we are horrified to see the barbaric conditions our domestic dogs are kept in, while humans fight their fights in courts. We know of dogs who spend months to years on end in solitary confinement, when human court cases are impending. We find this whole situation a set up to fail from the start.
    Since October last year when they were seized, they have done nothing to restore the balance in these poor dogs. They did nothing for them to help them over come their fears. We are watching 37 dogs now after only a week, starting to play with toys and each other. We are seeing their playful side and puppyhood. We do not have an issue with the seizing of them for prosecution but OMG even humans in jail get tv, 3 meals a day, and exercise time out in the sunshine.
    If this was their intention to from the start to keep them isolated from their pack members (and they stated over crowding in breeders pens, apparently 2 were kept together-well so they say) the one security they have even known. And being a pack member means, naturally, there is security in numbers. We will always be gutted by the fact they took them from a neglectful situation and placed them in isolation. They cut out their sunshine and friends and and once a few had pups, removed them from their mothers to leave them abandoned and alone.
    They studied them like monkeys in a zoo. With clip boards in hands. And not once have we seen a tear or soft word of compassion for these poor 10 adults and for that we will always be sorry, that they never gave us the chance to show them love and a beautiful world. They died in fear and unloved in a cold callous world and that is a hard pill to swallow.
    Our intentions was never ever to bad mouth the rspca, our only and utmost goal here-was to save them from death and isolation. This could have been handled better by them if the dogs best interest was their priority but their only concern was the prosecution of the breeders. We totally understand this but why did it have to be at the disgusting ending of these 4 dogs and likely all 10?
    They have stated they are in foster care and they can not release pictures which we feel is absolute rubbish. They are the property of the rspca now to do as they wish, hence the euthanasia of 4. If they have the right to euthanise them now, they have the right to take happy foster care pictures of them being rehabilitated in homes. We have 37 in f/c but there are over 80 others safe from the breeders and the rspca, and the other rescues are worried about the rspca and what they might do, if they find out who has them.
    We are the voice for these puppy mill dogs and don’t bow down to being bullied by people in high places. Our love of dogs gives us the strength we need to stand tall and protect these innocent lives, as it seems no one else has, to date.
    We have received a few people saying, that we took their proof for courts and we are in cahoots with the breeders. Sadly they are wrong. The only side we stand on ‘’THE ONLY ONE’’ is saving these dogs lives and getting them into protection, away from EVERYONE who just wants them for a pawn in this human game. They deserved better and 4, expecting all 10 will never know how much we fought to give them a better life but we do and, thats all that matters here and to us. XOXOX
    We shouldn’t have to beg.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 4:53pm
    Apart from posting on Facebook what do these people do to actually fight and discredit the RSPCA ?

If they are fair dinkum and their stories are true they should be doing something serious about the issue rather than whinging on Facebook about it.

-------------
    reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 5:03pm
    https://www.facebook.com/WISHANIMALRESCUETEAM/?__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARAiXyHOkYFSIwuZpvy0h-SKxWUNFsSxyeUed4ZPqdp-h6QEkunu6ewFnnXfoTjYQosHapOoe0u2LPLCBVYw-SLJ-yjNnw94uwnbSuqAz3Po9uJyWc3IEgAjxD6SbEVOeqa2thTQfiFSB1PMSleVwnQIV6H0tD77E1Fp8JEV2s0ysCiCH6IwPWjrbOsSFWhLho3cSz_ngPbe-s4-i1WXG9VstbdtpQ2ZSHXCIZTqRAl01EDpSAnN5gFyAbBoJBGh327z2yDw62DopgOp58dQkL-o0TKSoJ-sXTW0ZPNfaCxptQa1teVmgdSsPDBHDCPSxZmumrv_DYSDQ96EZCAPTenhug&__xts__%5B1%5D=68.ARDsP2tiwliZJYdWisEll6IG4GsS3zK5IpQa1FUYlurNAw_yuKyaycRCunELnwL1H_XGxBaMZereXUCS3koQ1oh2f2zpTcl8wLwBcGKn5qj9y_VQ1FdbXowfm2YEKJCUKQN3ED95zJjsR7FJnjSoZVU2RQ8Bu4Pb0XeMnL0VFmb-OGhpdtMAI2-Vs_Jj_eu6hR5shpwrvTni13PCoF5YAbJopjCU_2dPCR-boCDTfW2AZ4V-sAoXNepm8z-Mhx94Is5eDa8RDg_2nhRL-KYsZMZmcC4AJ3Q8tP_2wz9TcXKX_wMwDlGE1CW4jQAy44_kzDMoe68qH-D31WEGnTxNf4QBtQ&__tn__=kC-R&eid=ARDPWoxbW8xOuagHrzRjWAWVp-qtT3i4o_KdyQB1ujE6mSLtp8NNYLhQrSyfoMU6kD3ShXDKYLhScQwX&hc_ref=ARQeO8wmCIQteo-17PaR0UBpSyt_LjxNHjPJGsXbWvKD5B53N6niFRZDNwtB_cAWbbI&fref=nf" rel="nofollow - WISH Animal Rescue Team Perth WA
    https://www.facebook.com/WISHANIMALRESCUETEAM/photos/a.356018714536846/1367764403362267/?type=3&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARDsP2tiwliZJYdWisEll6IG4GsS3zK5IpQa1FUYlurNAw_yuKyaycRCunELnwL1H_XGxBaMZereXUCS3koQ1oh2f2zpTcl8wLwBcGKn5qj9y_VQ1FdbXowfm2YEKJCUKQN3ED95zJjsR7FJnjSoZVU2RQ8Bu4Pb0XeMnL0VFmb-OGhpdtMAI2-Vs_Jj_eu6hR5shpwrvTni13PCoF5YAbJopjCU_2dPCR-boCDTfW2AZ4V-sAoXNepm8z-Mhx94Is5eDa8RDg_2nhRL-KYsZMZmcC4AJ3Q8tP_2wz9TcXKX_wMwDlGE1CW4jQAy44_kzDMoe68qH-D31WEGnTxNf4QBtQ&__tn__=-R" rel="nofollow - - ·

We have recently received copies of two of the assessments undertaken of the Border Collies that were seized. We would like to bring these results to the public, so they can see exactly what has happened behind closed doors. Unfortunately we are unable to release to full reports we cannot release the names of the companies/assessors at this stage. We will however share what we can with you.

Assessment 1 - Conducted on 8th Feb 2019

Two people present and named in report. Person A has a Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery, and completed a CVE Behaviour Medicine Course. Person B commenced her career working for the RSPCA Londsale Shelter in 2002, where she worked for 8 years and was involved in behavior assessments of adopted dogs. In 2010 she received her Cert IV in Companion Animal Training.

There are individual notes on each dog assessed however the most common line seen is "displayed extremely fearful behaviour.... reportedly showed aggression, did not demonstrate this at our assessment..... dog exhibited the flight response and increased her distance from our presence... Recommendation based on best interest - humane euthanasia as soon as possible"

Conclusion from Assessment 1 is that "All 10 dogs current diagnosis are consistent with original diagnosis made..... Half of the dogs behaviors has improved with psychotropic medication..... The dogs that have improved are still suffering poor mental welfare... Foster care was never an option for these dogs as they have never known the domestic pet home environment... The RSPCA shelter environment is not beneficial to any dog when they are required to stay long term.... the 10 dogs seized are suffering severe anxiety/mental health disorders..... They will not cope in a domestic home environment...... The current quality of life and welfare of all of the dogs is experiment poor and they continue to suffer.... It is in the best interest of all 10 seized dogs to be humanely euthanized as soon as possible."

Assessment 2 - Conducted 16th Jan 2019

Two people present and named in report. Person C is an accredited Dog handler/trainer and has a Cert IV in Canine Management with over 17 years experience in the field. Has extensive experience with Border Collies. Person D is a DR at one of Adelaides Vet Clinics.

Individual notes includes "Normal protective barking when entering pen (pups in pen with mother)....timid and shy, but not aggressive.... was able to handle and inspect.... No reason why this dog could not be adopted"

Further notes from this assessment states "The dogs have been on multiple behaviour drugs, which in my opinion have not assisted the behaviour of these dogs and should be removed.... from the notes read of the front of their kennels there is no appropriate handling of these dogs, and in my opinion they are in a worse situation now than where they were previously housed, having viewed both premises..... should be moved to more appropriate living conditions..... should not be in a facility that is outdated, suitable for only very short term boarding... I felt particularly intimidated by the behviour of the RSPCA in this matter in that we were not allowed to photograph or video any of examinations or documents in order to prepare a proper report, but the RSPCA were videoing our every movement.... These dogs simply require human interaction, not the death penalty.... These dogs are heavily medicated in unsuitable living arrangements"

Conclusion from Assessment 2 is that "The current environment the dogs and pups are in is detrimental to to their well being.... none of the dogs that were inspected showed any sign of aggression, they were timid and shy, but this could be part due to their current environment.... No reason was found to have any of the adult dogs, or pups killed"

Copy/paste:  https://www.change.org/p/rspca-south-australia-release-of-the-border-collies?recruiter=775748476&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial.pacific_post_sap_share_gmail_abi.gmail_abi&utm_term=signature_receipt

https://postimages.org/" rel="nofollow">

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 6:15pm
    Djebel for people with livelihoods or animals themselves it's very difficult.  My friends two vets helped as much as they could but had to be very careful.  They can loose their livelihood.  It's set up to be above any sign of attach.  They take you to court - lie and it's you against something with immensely more money to take you on.

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 6:17pm
    And so nothing really gets done.

At least the feral vegans organise themselves and fight for what they believe in.

-------------
    reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: Good Old Ted
    Date Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 8:52pm
    The RSPCA are little more than a money hungry terrorist organisition. They care SFA for the animals. Don't give them a cent. 

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 9:09pm
    It’s an incredible marketing feat that people think you rescue animals and donate for you to do so, while you’re actually murdering these animals to fulfil some sick and twisted idea you have that animals are better off dead than under human care.

-------------
    to the victor

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 12:37am
    Linghi,,,,Confused  thats a bit of a convoluted theory you have posted there ???Confused I am not sure I get what you are saying ??? 

-------------
    animals before people.

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 12:44am
    Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

And so nothing really gets done.

At least the feral vegans organise themselves and fight for what they believe in.

And what do they achieve ???   FA.

-------------
    animals before people.

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 12:46am
    Originally posted by Good Old Ted Good Old Ted wrote:

The RSPCA are little more than a money hungry terrorist organisition. They care SFA for the animals. Don't give them a cent. 

I could not agree more. 
    There are much better animal organistaions out there that do really care for the animals,,,,

-------------
    animals before people.

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 1:06am

Linghi,,,,Confused  thats a bit of a convoluted theory you have posted there ???Confused I am not sure I get what you are saying ??? 

They have people convinced they’re helping animals, whereas that’s questionable, they’re closer to animal exterminators.

-------------
    to the victor

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 1:33am
    Oh yeah.  Many contribute to their helping animals .   But they dont.   Its all about money.  I know there are so many poor animals that are unwanted .  And the RSPCA have millions of them. 
    They cant save them all.   No one can save all the unwanted animals. 
    But its in the help/rescue area the RSPCA fall down.
    They have the funds,,,,fiddlesticks just get out there and do something for these animals.  

-------------
    animals before people.

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 11:26am
    Our dog just reminded me of something.  How good their memory is.  Electricity reader came while I was at the side with the dogs.  She was wearing a hat.  Now we have had his since he was a puppy - got from a shelter.  But whoever captured him must of worn a hat and not been gentle about it.  This dog is gentle but even if my husband wears a hat he becomes a growling scary dog.  I'd forgotten as we tend not to wear hats and he hasn't done it for a while.  He's now eleven but the memory has not been forgotten.  How much damage is the RSPCA doing to some dogs.  Ours is a gentle giant but what if he was more of an attack dog.  Someone would of been bitten and he would of got the blame.  Not the person who made a memory so scary he has never forgotten.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
    Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net