URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=58218
Printed Date: 16 Apr 2024 at 11:59pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Environment
Posted By: Gay3
Subject: Environment
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 6:09pm
Mind blowing discovery, to me anyway Big smile

http://theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/tree-mothers-are-a-lot-like-human-mothers-research-shows/70703" rel="nofollow - http://theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/tree-mothers-are-a-lot-like-human-mothers-research-shows/70703

There's an 18 min video in case anyone's interested.

Saturday, July 30, 2016, 7:03 PM -
"A forest is much more than what you see."

These are the words of forest ecologist Suzanne Simard, whose recent talk at TEDSummit 2016 revealed some astounding discoveries from her 30 years of research in Canadian forests.

"You see, underground there is this other world. A world of infinite biological pathways that connect trees and allow them to communicate, and allow the forest to behave as if it's a single organism," Simard explains.

But their communication and comprehension skills go much deeper than that -- trees can also recognize their offspring, and nurture them both below and above the ground.

"Now, we know we all favor our own children, and I wondered, could Douglas fir recognize its own kin, like mama grizzly and her cub? So we set about an experiment, and we grew mother trees with kin and stranger's seedlings. And it turns out they do recognize their kin. Mother trees colonize their kin with bigger mycorrhizal networks. They send them more carbon below ground. They even reduce their own root competition to make elbow room for their kids. When mother trees are injured or dying, they also send messages of wisdom on to the next generation of seedlings. So we've used isotope tracing to trace carbon moving from an injured mother tree down her trunk into the mycorrhizal network and into her neighboring seedlings, not only carbon but also defense signals. And these two compounds have increased the resistance of those seedlings to future stresses. So trees talk."

-------------
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!

Replies:
Posted By: Fiddlesticks
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 7:18pm
it would help humanity in general if we all understood this and were all taught this stuff at the same time in life, it really does my head in that people can go all through life and never understand the natural world/environment around them...it actually makes me really sad.

-------------
Panspermia.

Posted By: Flight
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 8:02pm
I wouldn't go as far as saying that trees talk however, these trees have spent thousands upon thousands of years evolving in their particular space and have taken on the attributes to suit their particular patch of soil.  Introduced seedlings may well be looking for a very, very slight variation to the nutrients present at their new site.
The established trees will, by definition, be more dominant.

IMO

-------------
“The probability of a certain set of circumstances coming together in a meaningful (or tragic) way is so low that it simply cannot be considered mere coincidence. ”
― V.C. King

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 8:20pm
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/30/world/europe/german-forest-ranger-finds-that-trees-have-social-networks-too.html?_r=0

German Forest Ranger Finds That Trees Have Social Networks, Too

http://www.nytimes.com/column/the-saturday-profile" rel="nofollow - The Saturday Profile

By SALLY McGRANE

PETER WOHLLEBEN" data-mediaviewer-credit="Gordon Welters for The New York Times" itemprop="url" itemid="https://static01.nyt.com/images/2016/01/30/world/TREES/TREES-master768.jpg">
“When I say, ‘Trees suckle their children,’ everyone knows immediately what I mean.” PETER WOHLLEBEN Credit Gordon Welters for The New York Times

HÜMMEL, Germany — IN the deep stillness of a forest in winter, the sound of footsteps on a carpet of leaves died away. http://www.peter-wohlleben.de/" rel="nofollow - Peter Wohlleben had found what he was looking for: a pair of towering beeches. “These trees are friends,” he said, craning his neck to look at the leafless crowns, black against a gray sky. “You see how the thick branches point away from each other? That’s so they don’t block their buddy’s light.”

Before moving on to an elderly beech to show how trees, like people, wrinkle as they age, he added, “Sometimes, pairs like this are so interconnected at the roots that when one tree dies, the other one dies, too.”

Mr. Wohlleben, 51, is a very tall career forest ranger who, with his ramrod posture and muted green uniform, looks a little like one of the sturdy beeches in the woods he cares for. Yet he is lately something of a sensation as a writer in http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/international/countriesandterritories/germany/index.html?inline=nyt-geo" rel="nofollow - Germany , a place where the forest has long played an outsize role in the cultural consciousness, in places like fairy tales, 20th-century philosophy, Nazi ideology and the birth of the modern environmental movement.

After the publication in May of Mr. Wohlleben’s book, a surprise hit titled “The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate — Discoveries From a Secret World,” the German forest is back in the spotlight. Since it first topped best-seller lists last year, Mr. Wohlleben has been spending more time on the media trail and less on the forest variety, making the case for a popular reimagination of trees, which, he says, contemporary society tends to look at as “organic robots” designed to produce oxygen and wood.

PRESENTING scientific research and his own observations in highly anthropomorphic terms, the matter-of-fact Mr. Wohlleben has delighted readers and talk-show audiences alike with the news — long known to biologists — that trees in the forest are social beings. They can count, learn and remember; nurse sick neighbors; warn each other of danger by sending electrical signals across a fungal network known as the “Wood Wide Web”; and, for reasons unknown, keep the ancient stumps of long-felled companions alive for centuries by feeding them a sugar solution through their roots.

“With his book, he changed the way I look at the forest forever,” Markus Lanz, a popular talk show host, said in an email. “Every time I walk through a beautiful woods, I think about it.”

Though duly impressed with Mr. Wohlleben’s ability to capture the public’s attention, some German biologists question his use of words, like “talk” rather than the more standard “communicate,” to describe what goes on between trees in the forest.

But this, says Mr. Wohlleben, who invites readers to imagine what a tree might feel when its bark tears (“Ouch!”), is exactly the point. “I use a very human language,” he explained. “Scientific language removes all the emotion, and people don’t understand it anymore. When I say, ‘Trees suckle their children,’ everyone knows immediately what I mean.”

Still No. 1 on the Spiegel best-seller list for nonfiction, “Hidden Life” has sold 320,000 copies and has been optioned for translation in 19 countries (Canada’s Greystone Books will publish an English version in September). “It’s one of the biggest successes of the year,” said Denis Scheck, a German literary critic who praised the humble narrative style and the book’s ability to awaken in readers an intense, childlike curiosity about the workings of the world.

The popularity of “The Hidden Life of Trees,” Mr. Scheck added, says less about http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/international/countriesandterritories/germany/index.html?inline=nyt-geo" rel="nofollow - Germany than it does about modern life. People who spend most of their time in front of computers want to read about nature. “Germans are reputed to have a special relationship with the forest, but it’s kind of a cliché,” Mr. Scheck said. “Yes, there’s Hansel and Gretel, and, sure, if your marriage fails, you go for a long hike in the woods. But I don’t think Germans love their forest more than Swedes or Norwegians or Finns.”

Photo
Mr. Wohlleben traces his love of the forest to his early childhood, where he raised spiders and turtles. In high school, teachers painted a dire picture of the world’s ecological future, and he decided it was his mission to help. Credit Gordon Welters for The New York Times

MR. WOHLLEBEN traces his own love of the forest to his early childhood. Growing up in the 1960s and ’70s in Bonn, then the West German capital, he raised spiders and turtles, and liked playing outside more than any of his three siblings did. In high school, a generation of young, left-leaning teachers painted a dire picture of the world’s ecological future, and he decided it was his mission to help.

He studied forestry, and began working for the state forestry administration in Rhineland-Palatinate in 1987. Later, as a young forester in charge of a 3,000-odd acre woodlot in the Eifel region, about an hour outside Cologne, he felled old trees and sprayed logs with insecticides. But he did not feel good about it: “I thought, ‘What am I doing? I’m making everything kaput.’ ”

Reading up on the behavior of trees — a topic he learned little about in forestry school — he found that, in nature, trees operate less like individuals and more as communal beings. Working together in networks and sharing resources, they increase their resistance.

By artificially spacing out trees, the plantation forests that make up most of Germany’s woods ensure that trees get more sunlight and grow faster. But, naturalists say, creating too much space between trees can disconnect them from their networks, stymieing some of their inborn resilience mechanisms.

Intrigued, Mr. Wohlleben began investigating alternate approaches to forestry. Visiting a handful of private forests in Switzerland and Germany, he was impressed. “They had really thick, old trees,” he said. “They treated their forest much more lovingly, and the wood they produced was more valuable. In one forest, they said, when they wanted to buy a car, they cut two trees. For us, at the time, two trees would buy you a pizza.”

Back in the Eifel in 2002, Mr. Wohlleben set aside a section of “burial woods,” where people could bury cremated loved ones under 200-year-old trees with a plaque bearing their names, bringing in revenue without harvesting any wood. The project was financially successful. But, Mr. Wohlleben said, his bosses were unhappy with his unorthodox activities. He wanted to go further — for example, replacing heavy logging machinery, which damages forest soil, with horses — but could not get permission.

After a decade of struggling with his higher-ups, he decided to quit. “I consulted with my family first,” said Mr. Wohlleben, who is married and has two children. Though it meant giving up the ironclad security of employment as a German civil servant, “I just thought, ‘I cannot do this the rest of my life.’”

The family planned to emigrate to Sweden. But it turned out that Mr. Wohlleben had won over the forest’s municipal owners.

So, 10 years ago, the municipality took a chance. It ended its contract with the state forestry administration, and hired Mr. Wohlleben directly. He brought in horses, eliminated insecticides and began experimenting with letting the woods grow wilder. Within two years, the forest went from loss to profit, in part by eliminating expensive machinery and chemicals.

Despite his successes, in 2009 Mr. Wohlleben started having panic attacks. “I kept thinking, ‘Ah! You only have 20 years, and you still have to accomplish this, and this, and that.’” He began therapy, to treat burnout and depression. It helped. “I learned to be happy about what I’ve done so far,” he said. “With a forest, you have to think in terms of 200 or 300 years. I learned to accept that I can’t do everything. Nobody can.”

He wanted to write “The Hidden Life of Trees” to show laypeople how great trees are.

Stopping to consider a tree that rose up straight then curved like a question mark, Mr. Wohlleben said, however, that it was the untrained perspective of visitors he took on forest tours years ago to which he owed much insight.

“For a forester, this tree is ugly, because it is crooked, which means you can’t get very much money for the wood,” he said. “It really surprised me, walking through the forest, when people called a tree like this one beautiful. They said, ‘My life hasn’t always run in a straight line, either.’ And I began to see things with new eyes.”

A version of this article appears in print on January 30, 2016, on page A4 of the New York edition with the headline: Where We See Tangled Trees, He Sees Social Networks.

-------------

Posted By: Phazeal
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 8:21pm
There's a good reason there hasn't been enough research done into the intellect of plantlife. We humans have to treat several things as effectively inanimate in order to avoid severe syntax errors in our conditioned reasoning, such as 'what do we eat if everything has feelings', and 'Oh my god I think this sultana just looked at me!'. It would throw us a wobbly if your local bag of carrots was actually discussing the preferred method of their demise as you throw them willy nilly into your burgeoning trolley:
- short and swift via the local steaming pot. Go out in style. The post-mortem pics would be your best angles, etc, bright orange, maybe even a crinkle cut if you've been prepared in a Leagues Club kitchen.
- boiled madly in a pot of water. Grandma's way. Most carrots that find themselves in this position actually dive to the bottom of the pot to at least get a few floating bubble rides up to the surface of the scolding water before they are murdered.
- carefully and thinly sliced to be eaten raw with soft dip or sour cream. Not a preferred method of slaying for a carrot, as they feel both every slice with the blade in preparation as well as every bite right up until the masticated end.
- julienned or carved carrot bouquet making up the centrepiece of an otherwise edible salad in an environment where very few people eat vegetables and garnish (cheap weddings, sandwich trays for old people, etc). If Salim Mehajer could choose to be a vegetable this would be how he would want to go out. In the most stylish way possible, and after you've served your decorative purpose you get to slowly decompose in the landfill of the local tip.
I'm reminded of a scene out of maybe Notting Hill (?) where Hugh Grant is slogging through another blind date set-up with a girl who is - I can't remember the term - but she doesn't eat anything, at all, except plantlife and even then only after it has been jettisoned by its owner. 'fallen fruit'.

Quite a few wines in that, but still...... Disapprove

Posted By: stayer
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 8:22pm
Deary me. Flight may be right, but I've had just about enough of this enviro religion rubbish. Trees with comprehension skills who talk and love their kids, according to an eco-warrior who has studied canadian forests for 30 years...
Is this a joke?
Unfortunately, probably not.
Crazy times.

Posted By: Phazeal
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 8:42pm
I think the point of this story - in terms of trying to walk away with something usable - is that there are more considered alternatives to looking at a forest and bulldozing it to the ground to make 50 tables and 5000 pamphlets, then replacing it with high-input intensive cattle grazing.
A third of my property has 40-60 feet of topsoil and I don't even break the surface unless I'm pulling a Fireweed out by hand. I have a rainforest 10 metres from my kitchen window and I have placed my compost heaps topside of the hill, so that the chooks scratch it all down through that closed ecosystem over the course of maybe 2 years. There is so much going on underneath the surface of any given plot of soil.........if people realised how important it was they'd probably drop one of their carrot slices at the base of a local sapling every time they bought takeaway. It's a mega-highway down there, and doesn't react well to violent upheaval or over-taxing.

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 9:10pm
One thing I do know is that natives throughout the world traditionally gave thanks prior to cutting down anything & killing animals, birds etc., again before eating & afterwards. They took only what they needed & used every part.

-------------

Posted By: stayer
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 9:33pm
That's all good, but let's not get nutty about it.

Posted By: maccamax
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 2:28am
     I must repeat .

Insanity is a growth industry and those stricken with such illness breed like rabbits .

Funded by Government by the way.

Posted By: Dr E
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 2:53am
Avatar - love science fiction!Heart 

-------------
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!

Posted By: JudgeHolden
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Phazeal Phazeal wrote:

I think the point of this story - in terms of trying to walk away with something usable - is that there are more considered alternatives to looking at a forest and bulldozing it to the ground to make 50 tables and 5000 pamphlets, then replacing it with high-input intensive cattle grazing.
A third of my property has 40-60 feet of topsoil and I don't even break the surface unless I'm pulling a Fireweed out by hand. I have a rainforest 10 metres from my kitchen window and I have placed my compost heaps topside of the hill, so that the chooks scratch it all down through that closed ecosystem over the course of maybe 2 years. There is so much going on underneath the surface of any given plot of soil.........if people realised how important it was they'd probably drop one of their carrot slices at the base of a local sapling every time they bought takeaway. It's a mega-highway down there, and doesn't react well to violent upheaval or over-taxing.

The extent to which bacteria and viruses have been controlling ecosystems on this planet for a couple of billion years is remarkable. Viruses might be increasingly important in our fight against infectious diseases, seeing as they're becoming more and more resistant to our antibiotics, and not going quietly into the night like we predicted they would a half a century ago.

There's also now increasing evidence to suggest that micro-bacteria in our guts can influence mood and behaviour. We're just sometimes convenient johnny-come-latelys who they can use and discard as they wish. Whatever happens, it'll be business as usual for them long after we've gone.

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Flight Flight wrote:

I wouldn't go as far as saying that trees talk however, these trees have spent thousands upon thousands of years evolving in their particular space and have taken on the attributes to suit their particular patch of soil.  Introduced seedlings may well be looking for a very, very slight variation to the nutrients present at their new site.
The established trees will, by definition, be more dominant.

IMO

actually trees do communicate with each other, in some cases we have finally found out how they do it, there is a species of acacia in Africa that releases a chemical when it is being eaten by animals to alert it's neighboring trees to rapidly pump a toxin into the leaves so that when the animals move from the first tree to them they, they taste the toxin and stop eating it...or in some cases keep eating it and die, the ones that die are how we found about this..

-------------
Panspermia.

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 10:53am
Originally posted by stayer stayer wrote:

Deary me. Flight may be right, but I've had just about enough of this enviro religion rubbish. Trees with comprehension skills who talk and love their kids, according to an eco-warrior who has studied canadian forests for 30 years...
Is this a joke?
Crazy times.

you're anti environment stance is duly noted..

-------------
Panspermia.

Posted By: Passing Through
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

Originally posted by stayer stayer wrote:

Is this a joke?
Crazy times.

you're anti environment stance is duly noted..

Intelligent Design V Evolution 

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

I must repeat .

Insanity is a growth industry and those stricken with such illness breed like rabbits .

you have no reason to concern yourself with anything in the future macca, so why bother, just get your nose down on some coke and live it up those few creaking years you might have left..

-------------
Panspermia.

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by JudgeHolden JudgeHolden wrote:

Originally posted by Phazeal Phazeal wrote:

The extent to which bacteria and viruses have been controlling ecosystems on this planet for a couple of billion years is remarkable. Viruses might be increasingly important in our fight against infectious diseases, seeing as they're becoming more and more resistant to our antibiotics, and not going quietly into the night like we predicted they would a half a century ago.

There's also now increasing evidence to suggest that micro-bacteria in our guts can influence mood and behaviour. We're just sometimes convenient johnny-come-latelys who they can use and discard as they wish. Whatever happens, it'll be business as usual for them long after we've gone.

again it's all there in the code of nature, everything we ever need to know about survival and propagation is already there pre written for us, unfortunately there are many millions of ignorant pig headed folk who chose not to awaken themselves and listen and look a bit closer to whats actually going on around us, it's all quite subtle and seemingly immeasurable but I can assure it's all there going on whether we like it or not..

-------------
Panspermia.

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 4:38pm
Revenge of the Whales Clap Clap Clap

http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/japanese-whaling-crew-eaten-alive-by-killer-whales-16-dead/

A Japanese whaling crew has fallen victim to a dramatic full on assault by a school of killer whales, killing no less than 16 crew members and injuring 12, has reported the Japanese Government this morning.

The crew of the MV Nisshin Maru (日新丸), Japan’s primary whaling vessel and the world’s only whaler factory ship, was forced to leave the deck temporarily as a gas leak was detected within the ship’s processing factory that resulted in the ship being temporarily disabled all while continuing to carry approximately 1,000 tons of oil.

The resulting panic lead members of the ship to jump off the boat before proper emergency procedures were taken and lifeboats had been set to sea.  The swimming crew members were then ferociously attacked by a school of killer whales, that decimated a large number of the crew within moments. “It was horrific” claims Asuka Kumara, a mechanical engineer who witnessed the gruesome  scene. “The water was red with blood, there were bodies everywhere” he recalls in tears.

Within 30 minutes of the incident, 16 crew members had disappeared into the ocean.

The incident occurred in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary, near the South Eastern Coast of South Africa, a controversial area to be whaling as a recent international court ruling has ordered the country to ends its whale hunt in the Antarctic. The East Asian nation halted its annual Antarctic whaling mission after the U.N.’s International Court of Justice (ICJ) ruled last march the hunt violated an international moratorium on commercial whaling.

“It seems Japan just doesn’t give a damn about international law” explains environmental activist and spokesman for Greenpeace Canada, James Ben Shahali, based in Vancouver. “The waste of life is always a shame, but the whales are not to blame here, they were only doing what they are born to do: kill for food” he adds.

Japan has slaughtered over 6,000 whales since commercial whaling was made illegal by the International Whaling Commission (IWC) moratorium passed in 1986

-------------

Posted By: Whale
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

I must repeat .

you have no reason to concern yourself with anything in the future macca, so why bother, just get your nose down on some coke and live it up those few creaking years you might have left..

just saw this comment, low even by Fiddle's standards, no wonder he isn't missed Confused

-------------
Victor Orban 1.74 m, Michael Bloomberg 1.73 m, Emmanual Macron 1.77 m, George Soros 1.8 m

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 5:57pm
Glad I posted Ermm pretty bloody low act by anyones' standards Angry

-------------

Posted By: acacia alba
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/japanese-whaling-crew-eaten-alive-by-killer-whales-16-dead/

A Japanese whaling crew has fallen victim to a dramatic full on assault by a school of killer whales, killing no less than 16 crew members and injuring 12, has reported the Japanese Government this morning.

The crew of the MV Nisshin Maru (日新丸), Japan’s primary whaling vessel and the world’s only whaler factory ship, was forced to leave the deck temporarily as a gas leak was detected within the ship’s processing factory that resulted in the ship being temporarily disabled all while continuing to carry approximately 1,000 tons of oil.

The resulting panic lead members of the ship to jump off the boat before proper emergency procedures were taken and lifeboats had been set to sea.  The swimming crew members were then ferociously attacked by a school of killer whales, that decimated a large number of the crew within moments. “It was horrific” claims Asuka Kumara, a mechanical engineer who witnessed the gruesome  scene. “The water was red with blood, there were bodies everywhere” he recalls in tears.

Within 30 minutes of the incident, 16 crew members had disappeared into the ocean.

The incident occurred in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary, near the South Eastern Coast of South Africa, a controversial area to be whaling as a recent international court ruling has ordered the country to ends its whale hunt in the Antarctic. The East Asian nation halted its annual Antarctic whaling mission after the U.N.’s International Court of Justice (ICJ) ruled last march the hunt violated an international moratorium on commercial whaling.

“It seems Japan just doesn’t give a damn about international law” explains environmental activist and spokesman for Greenpeace Canada, James Ben Shahali, based in Vancouver. “The waste of life is always a shame, but the whales are not to blame here, they were only doing what they are born to do: kill for food” he adds.

Japan has slaughtered over 6,000 whales since commercial whaling was made illegal by the International Whaling Commission (IWC) moratorium passed in 1986

If true, isnt karma a wonderful thing ??  

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 11:11am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

If true, isnt karma a wonderful thing ??  

If it is true, these next few stories on their site could well be too LOL

http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/donald-trump-is-addicted-to-penis-enlargement-pills-claims-his-ex-wife/" rel="nofollow - DONALD TRUMP IS ADDICTED TO PENIS ENLARGEMENT PILLS, CLAIMS HIS EX-WIFE

http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/new-study-suggests-mary-mother-of-jesus-was-a-hermaphrodite/" rel="nofollow - NEW STUDY SUGGESTS MARY MOTHER OF JESUS WAS A HERMAPHRODITE

http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/india-sacred-cow-savagely-raped-by-27-men-in-mumbai-subway/" rel="nofollow - INDIA: SACRED COW SAVAGELY RAPED BY 27 MEN IN MUMBAI SUBWAY

http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/kenyan-judge-confirms-obama-could-technically-run-for-president-in-2017-elections/" rel="nofollow - KENYAN JUDGE CONFIRMS OBAMA COULD TECHNICALLY RUN FOR PRESIDENT IN 2017 ELECTIONS

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 11:41am
Well , dont you think that story about The Don is true, PT ?  LOL You believe every other horror story about him so why do you doubt that one Confused

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 11:49am
Only the ones that are true, which is most of them.

Not sure I want to see him with a woody to prove or disprove that willy one thoughShocked

-------------

Posted By: horlicks
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 4:05pm
One amusing thing I saw in the story was that although it was posted a couple of days ago the comments were from 2014. They must recycle their "news" every so often.

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 4:15pm
Well spotted horlicks Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 2:42pm

If you want to save the world, veganism isn’t the answer

Veganism has rocketed in the UK over the past couple of years – from an estimated half a million people in 2016 https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/vegans-uk-rise-popularity-plant-based-diets-veganism-figures-survey-compare-the-market-a8286471.html" rel="nofollow - to more than 3.5 million – 5% of our population – today. Influential documentaries such as http://www.cowspiracy.com/" rel="nofollow - Cowspiracy and http://www.whatthehealthfilm.com/" rel="nofollow - What the Health have thrown a spotlight on the intensive meat and dairy industry, exposing the impacts on animal and human health and the wider environment.

But calls for us all to switch entirely to plant-based foods ignore one of the most powerful tools we have to mitigate these ills: grazing and browsing animals.

Rather than being seduced by exhortations to eat more products made from industrially grown soya, maize and grains, we should be encouraging sustainable forms of meat and dairy production based on traditional rotational systems, permanent pasture and conservation grazing. We should, at the very least, question the ethics of driving up demand for crops that require high inputs of fertiliser, fungicides, pesticides and herbicides, while demonising sustainable forms of livestock farming that can restore soils and biodiversity, and sequester carbon.

In 2000, my husband and I turned our 1,400-hectare (3,500-acre) farm in West Sussex over to extensive grazing using free-roaming herds of old English longhorn cattle, Tamworth pigs, Exmoor ponies and red and fallow deer as part of a rewilding project. For 17 years we had struggled to make our conventional arable and dairy business profitable, but on heavy Low Weald clay, we could never compete with farms on lighter soils. The decision turned our fortunes around. Now eco-tourism, rental of post-agricultural buildings, and 75 tonnes a year of organic, pasture-fed meat contribute to a profitable business. And since the animals live outside all year round, with plenty to eat, they do not require supplementary feeding and rarely need to see the vet.

The animals live in natural herds and wander wherever they please. They wallow in streams and water-meadows. They rest where they like (they disdain the open barns left for them as shelter) and eat what they like. The cattle and deer graze on wildflowers and grasses but they also browse among shrubs and trees. The pigs rootle for rhizomes and even dive for swan mussels in ponds. The way they graze, puddle and trample stimulates vegetation in different ways, which in turn creates opportunities for other species, including small mammals and birds.

Crucially, because we don’t dose them with avermectins (the anti-worming agents routinely fed to livestock in intensive systems) or antibiotics, their dung feeds earthworms, bacteria, fungi and invertebrates such as dung beetles, which pull the manure down into the earth. This is a vital process of ecosystem restoration, returning nutrients and structure to the soil. Soil loss is one of the greatest catastrophes facing the world today. A http://www.fao.org/3/a-i5199e.pdf" rel="nofollow - 2015 report from the UN Food and Agriculture Organization states that, globally, 25 to 40bn tonnes of topsoil are lost annually to erosion, thanks mainly to ploughing and intensive cropping. In the UK topsoil depletion is so severe that in 2014 the trade magazine Farmers Weekly announced we may have only https://www.fwi.co.uk/news/environment/only-100-harvests-left-in-uk-farm-soils-scientists-warn" rel="nofollow - 100 harvests left . Letting arable land lie fallow and returning it to grazed pasture for a period – as farmers used to, before artificial fertilisers and mechanisation made continuous cropping possible – is the only way to reverse that process, halt erosion and rebuild soil, https://www.pastureforlife.org/media/2014/03/Sustainability-and-Organic-Livestock-modelling-SOL-m.pdf" rel="nofollow - according to the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation. The grazing livestock not only provide farmers with an income, but the animals’ dung, urine and even the way they graze, accelerates soil restoration. The key is to be organic, and keep livestock numbers low to prevent over-grazing.

Twenty years ago, our soils at the farm – severely degraded after decades of ploughing and chemical inputs – were almost biologically dead. Now we have fruiting fungi and orchids appearing in our former arable fields: an indication that subterranean networks of mycorrhizal fungi are spreading. We have 19 types of earthworm – keystone species responsible for aerating, rotavating, fertilising, hydrating and even detoxifying the soil. We’ve found 23 species of dung beetle in a single cowpat, one of which – the https://knepp.co.uk/insects/" rel="nofollow - violet dor beetle – hasn’t been seen in Sussex for 50 years. Birds that feed on insects attracted by this nutritious dung are rocketing. The rootling of the pigs provides opportunities for native flora and shrubs to germinate, including sallow, and this has given rise to the biggest colony of purple emperors in Britain, one of our rarest butterflies, which lays its eggs on sallow leaves.

Not only does this system of natural grazing aid the environment in terms of soil restoration, biodiversity, pollinating insects, water quality and flood mitigation – but it also it guarantees healthy lives for the animals, and they in turn produce meat that is healthy for us. In direct contrast to grain-fed and grain-finished meat from intensive systems, wholly pasture-fed meat is high in beta carotene, calcium, selenium, magnesium and potassium and vitamins E and B, and conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) – a powerful anti-carcinogen. It is also high in the long-chain omega-3 fatty acid DHA, which is vital for human brain development but extremely difficult for vegans to obtain.

Much has been made of the https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/sep/29/methane-emissions-cattle-11-percent-higher-than-estimated" rel="nofollow - methane emissions of livestock , but these are lower in biodiverse pasture systems that include wild plants such as angelica, common fumitory, shepherd’s purse and bird’s-foot trefoil because they contain fumaric acid – a compound that, when added to the diet of lambs at the Rowett Institute in Aberdeen, https://phys.org/news/2008-03-scientists-cow-flatulence.html" rel="nofollow - reduced emissions of methane by 70% .

In the vegan equation, by contrast, the carbon cost of ploughing is rarely considered. Since the industrial revolution, according to a https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-15794-8" rel="nofollow - 2017 report in the science journal Nature , up to 70% of the carbon in our cultivated soils has been lost to the atmosphere.

So there’s a huge responsibility here: unless you’re sourcing your vegan products specifically from organic, “no-dig” systems, you are actively participating in the destruction of soil biota, promoting a system that deprives other species, including small mammals, birds and reptiles, of the conditions for life, and significantly contributing to climate change.

Our ecology evolved with large herbivores – with free-roaming herds of aurochs (the ancestral cow), tarpan (the original horse), elk, bear, bison, red deer, roe deer, wild boar and millions of beavers. They are species whose interactions with the environment sustain and promote life. Using herbivores as part of the farming cycle can go a long way towards making agriculture sustainable.

There’s no question we should all be eating far less meat, and calls for an end to high-carbon, polluting, unethical, intensive forms of grain-fed meat production are commendable. But if your concerns as a vegan are the environment, animal welfare and your own health, then it’s no longer possible to pretend that these are all met simply by giving up meat and dairy. Counterintuitive as it may seem, adding the occasional organic, pasture-fed steak to your diet could be the right way to square the circle.

Isabella Tree runs Knepp Castle Estate with her husband, the conservationist Charlie Burrell, and is the author of Wilding: The Return of Nature to a British Farm

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 4:23pm

Humanity 'Sleepwalking Towards the Edge of a Cliff': 60% of Earth's Wildlife Wiped Out Since 1970

By Julia Conley

Scientists from around the world issued a stark warning to humanity Tuesday in a semi-annual report on the Earth's declining biodiversity, which shows that about 60 percent of mammals, birds, fish and reptiles have been wiped out by human activity since 1970.

The World Wildlife Fund's Living Planet Index details how human's uncontrolled https://www.ecowatch.com/tag/overconsumption" rel="nofollow - overconsumption of land, food and natural resources has eliminated a majority of the wildlife on the planet—threatening human civilization as well as the world's animals.

"We are sleepwalking towards the edge of a cliff," Mike Barrett, executive director of science and conservation at WWF, https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/30/humanity-wiped-out-animals-since-1970-major-report-finds" rel="nofollow - told the Guardian. "If there was a 60 percent decline in the human population, that would be equivalent to emptying North America, South America, Africa, Europe, China and Oceania. That is the scale of what we have done."

Killer whales were named as one species that is in grave danger of extinction due to exposure to chemicals used by humans, and the Living Index Report highlighted freshwater species and animal populations in Central and South America as being especially affected by human activity in the past five decades.

"Species population declines are especially pronounced in the tropics, with South and Central America suffering the most dramatic decline, an 89 percent loss compared to 1970," reads the report. "Freshwater species numbers have also declined dramatically, with the Freshwater Index showing an 83% decline since 1970."

Destruction of wildlife habitats is the leading human-related cause of extinction, as people around the world are now using about three-quarters of all land on the planet for agriculture, industry and other purposes, according to the report.

Mass killing of animals for food is the second-largest cause of extinction, according to the report, with 300 mammal species being " https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/oct/19/worlds-mammals-being-eaten-into-extinction-report-warns" rel="nofollow - eaten into extinction ."

"It is a classic example of where the disappearance is the result of our own consumption," Barrett told the Guardian.

The report stresses a need to that shift away from the notion that wildlife must be protected simply for the sake of ensuring that future generations can see species like elephants, polar bears and other endangered animals in the wild.

Rather, the survival of the planet's ecosystems is now a matter of life and death for the human population, according to the WWF.

"Nature contributes to human wellbeing culturally and spiritually, as well as through the critical production of food, clean water, and energy, and through regulating the Earth's climate, pollution, pollination and floods," Professor Robert Watson, who contributed to the report, told the Guardian. "The Living Planet report clearly demonstrates that human activities are destroying nature at an unacceptable rate, threatening the wellbeing of current and future generations."

"Nature is not a 'nice to have'—it is our life-support system," added Barrett.

Many scientists believe that studies like that of the WWF demonstrate that a sixth mass extinction is now underway—a theory that would mean the Earth could experience its first mass extinction event caused by a single species inhabiting the planet. The loss of all life on Earth could come about due to a combination of human-caused effects, including a rapidly warming planet as well as the loss of biodiversity.

"The Great Acceleration, and the rapid and immense social, economic and ecological changes it has spurred, show us that we are in a period of great upheaval," reads the study. "Some of these changes have been positive, some negative, and all of them are interconnected. What is increasingly clear is that human development and wellbeing are reliant on healthy natural systems, and we cannot continue to enjoy the former without the latter."

https://www.ecowatch.com/earths-wildlife-wiped-out-since-1970-2616534688.html?fbclid=IwAR1KUr3rm4GGLmPztAlIe7TYCJWbVwHHqw3xonEzblloTx3mSDQGatRW-_o" rel="nofollow - https://www.ecowatch.com/earths-wildlife-wiped-out-since-1970-2616534688.html?fbclid=IwAR1KUr3rm4GGLmPztAlIe7TYCJWbVwHHqw3xoNEzblloTx3mSDQGatRW-_o

-------------

Posted By: oneonesit
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 8:44pm
Some funny comments above on this thread. Esp The Fiddlers - sorry Macca - obviously back in the days when Whale was in your good books !  LOLLOL

-------------
Refer ALP Election Promises

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 7:59pm

Cotton growers and conservationists butt heads online over Menindee fish kills

Lara Webster and Amy McCosker, Wednesday January 30, 2019 - 14:05 EDT

Cotton farmers and conservationists are engaging in heated exchanges on social media as the furore continues over the fish kills in the Darling River.

have died in the third kill in less than two months at the town of Menindee in far-west New South Wales.

Agriculture Minister David Littleproud .

People in Menindee blame the crisis on cotton irrigators' water use and the Murray-Darling Basin Authority's [MDBA] decision to empty the Menindee Lakes in 2014 and 2017.

Experts say irrigators are taking too much water from the system, and the MDBA has mismanaged water flows which has contributed to the fish deaths.

Cotton Australia said all major cotton growing valleys in north-west NSW had no water allocated to them this harvest season.

Cotton grower Andrew Watson, from north-west New South Wales, said farmers were fielding abuse in debates online, which he said were based on incorrect information.

"People actually don't know the facts and you know there are plenty of cotton growers who are willing to engage [and] talk about what we do," he said.

"Water is taken under the rules that have been put in place over many years and that's been the frustrating thing.

"We're only following the rules but people are posting on social media that they want to kill us."

Cotton Australia chief executive Adam Kay said growers felt under attack.

"Some of our growers are withdrawing from social media," he said.

"There's so much emotion there and so much ill-informed opinion.

"The growers are feeling quite distressed at the attacks on them when they know they are baseless."

'People are right to be angry': MP

New South Wales independent MP Jeremy Buckingham has used social media to point the finger at the cotton industry.

He said while it was unfortunate that growers were being targeted online, he understood why people who cared about the Darling River were upset.

He said social media could be controversial.

"People get on there, they get fired up about an issue and they feel like they can lash out but it's important that we build understanding about what's going on."

Mr Buckingham said while people's anger could be misdirected, he still believed the buck stopped with the largest irrigators.

"The biggest water users in the system in northern New South Wales and southern Queensland are the corporate irrigators. We're not talking about 'mum and dad' farms here.

"People are right to be angry, there are a lot of people in southern and western New South Wales who are going to miss out on irrigation because the river has been over allocated in the north."

In , the owners of Cubbie Station near Dirranbandi have defended the property's water usage.

It said that despite having 22,000 hectares of irrigated cropping fields, no summer crops would be planted this year as there was no water available.

According to the statement, the last time the station diverted water was in April 2017, when 14 gigalitres was redirected.

Concerns for farmers' mental health

Mary O'Brien, founder of the mental health awareness program Are You Bogged Mate?, said many farmers, in cotton and other industries, were being targeted online.

She said she had talked with many farmers who were already struggling with the pressures of drought and were now feeling disheartened by online bullying.

"It is just saddening. I am gobsmacked at some of the crazy comments, the ridiculous comments "¦ it's completely out of control," Ms O'Brien said.

"These guys are struggling already emotionally and financially and this is just the last thing we need.

"The farmers in Australia are just getting absolutely slammed from people with a skewed view."

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2019 at 9:18pm
https://www.facebook.com/to.ni19191?__tn__=%2CdlCH-R-R&eid=ARDlCBfVp_xi0kv1TiGkzEGnYOg1az9i1HJoHVggTyzQenpyJiQAPWx-j5pg23-cPeTPjfGtet3N7Ln-&hc_ref=ARS2cfMhwyKgo9zwXaA67SF2EsZuabjpLc-DY08QMOsq2cDCMDVCIwi0j2L0G1vlljs" rel="nofollow - Toni McMahon is in https://www.facebook.com/pages/Innisfail-Queensland/107752492580673?__tn__=%2CdkCH-R-R&eid=ARBvhhr8KOby00247KCk3Y8ELEOjO85lEpPq_Ylfp0NnC8c3ydXCPBP6f58L9agSpqA-MMfILbe1rf3q&hc_ref=ARS2cfMhwyKgo9zwXaA67SF2EsZuabjpLc-DY08QMOsq2cDCMDVCIwi0j2L0G1vlljs&fref=tag" rel="nofollow - Innisfail, Queensland .
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10218844919013205&set=a.3288854459386&type=3" rel="nofollow - - - - - - - - - 2 - - - - - - 6 - - - -   - - - - - - - - - - - - M - - - - - - - - - - - - - - a - - - - - - - - - - - - - r - - - - c - - - - - - - - - - - - h - -   - - - a - - - - t - - - - -   - - 2 - - - 2 - - : - - - - - - - - 3 - - 9 - - - - - - -

Agent Orange town in QLD

Matthew Benns and Frank Walker | May 18, 2008

THE Australian Army tested chemical weapons on a town which now has deaths from cancer 10 times the state average.

Military scientists sprayed the toxic defoliant Agent Orange in the jungle that is part of the water catchment area for Innisfail in Queensland's far north at the start of the Vietnam War.
The Sun-Herald last week found the site where military scientists tested Agent Orange in 1966. It is on a ridge little more 100 metres above the Johnstone River, which supplies the drinking water for Innisfail.

Forty years later the site - which abuts farmer Alan Wakeham's land - is still bare, covered only in tough Guinea grass, but surrounded by thick jungle.

"It's strange how the jungle comes right up to this site and then just stops. It won't grow any further," Mr Wakeham said.
Agent Orange was sprayed extensively in Vietnam to defoliate the jungle and remove cover for North Vietnamese troops. It contains chemicals including the dioxin TCDD, which causes forms of cancer, birth defects and other health problems.
Researcher Jean Williams found details of the secret Innisfail tests in the Australian War Memorial archives.

"These tests carried out between 1964 and 1966 were the first tests of Agent Orange and they were carried out at Gregory Falls near Innisfail," said Ms Williams, who has been awarded the Order of Australia Medal for her work on the effects of chemicals on Vietnam veterans.

"I was told there is a high rate of cancer there but no one can understand why. Perhaps now they will understand."
Ms Williams unearthed three boxes of damning files.
One file showed the chemicals 2,4-D, Diquat, Tordon and dimethyl sulphoxide (DMSO) were sprayed on the rainforest in the Gregory Falls area in June 1966.
The file carried the remarks: "Considered sensitive because report recommends use of 2,4-D with other agents in aerial spraying trials in Innisfail."

Ms Williams said: "It was considered sensitive because they were mixing together all the bad chemicals, which just made them worse. They cause all the cancers."
Ms Williams claims a file which could indicate much wider testing in a project called Operation Desert had gone missing. The contents were marked "too disturbing to ever be released".

"Those chemicals stay in the soil for years and every time there is a storm they are stirred up and go into the water supply," Ms Williams said.
"The poor people of Innisfail have been kept in the dark about this. But these chemicals cause cancer and deformities that are passed on for generations. It is shocking. I am just an 83-year-old war-weary battler. I don't want any more medals, I just want justice for the people of Innisfail."

Queensland Health Department figures show Innisfail, which has a population of almost 12,000, had 76 people die from cancer in 2005. That is four times the national rate of death from cancer and 10 times the Queensland average.
Australian War Memorial director Steve Gower confirmed the file on Operation Desert could not be found.

Australia and Britain opened a joint tropical research unit at Innisfail in 1962. In 1969 the Liberal defence minister Allen Fairhall flatly denied chemical warfare experiments had been associated with the unit at Innisfail.
But last week The Sun-Herald found the site and an old digger, a decorated veteran of three wars, who had worked on the experiment.

Innisfail local Ted Bosworth, 86, fought in the New Guinea campaign in World War II, copped a bullet in the lungs in the Korean War for which he was awarded the Military Medal and was in the Army Reserve during the Vietnam War.
In 1966 he drove scientists to the site where the spraying occurred.

"There was an English scientist and an Australian. I heard they both later died of cancer.
"They sprayed by hand. The forest started dying within days. By three weeks all the foliage was gone. The scientists always denied it was Agent Orange. They were pretty cagey."
Mr Bosworth confirmed photos The Sun-Herald took were of the experiment site. "That is the area they sprayed. That is it. It was on top of the ridge next to grassland in the trees. It hasn't changed much in all these years."

Innisfail RSL president Reg Hamann suffers terrible effects from Agent Orange he was exposed to during the Vietnam War.

"A lot of my unit have died of cancer. I've got cancer of the oesophagus and stomach. I have to sleep on a special bed that raises me 17 degrees or everything in my stomach rises up. I've had a subdural hemorrhage, a heart attack and a quadruple bypass.

"It passes on to the next generation. My son was born with a deformed lung. My daughter has got the same skin problem I have from Agent Orange. Now my grandkids are going to get it."

Mr Hamann is angry at the lies and deceit about the effects of Agent Orange on veterans and their families. Now he's discovered that while he was fighting in Vietnam the Australian government was experimenting with Agent Orange upriver from his home town.

"We were sprayed regularly by Agent Orange as they cleared the river banks. We had no idea how dangerous the stuff was. They'd fly over us and give us a squirt just for fun and wiggle their wings. We took it as a joke. But the stuff turned out to be a curse."

"I saw in Vietnam what Agent Orange did to an area and I am shocked to learn they used it here. It was kept secret. The army didn't tell anyone. It was just some of the old army guys and local farmers who knew they were experimenting up there.

"I believe it must have something to do with the high cancer rates in Innisfail. The amount of young people in this area who die of leukaemia and similar cancers to what I got from Agent Orange is scary. The authorities are scared of digging into it as there would be lots of law suits.

"The sad part is the number of kids who get cancer here. It's been that way at least since I came here in 1970. That means it can't be chemical spraying on the bananas as they only came here 15 years ago.

"They've always used Innisfail as guinea pigs. They did it in World War II and they did it during Vietnam. It's time to set it right."

Val Robertson, 74, said a high number of local people aged in their 40s were dying from cancer, about one a month for the last 12 months.
"That's a lot for a small town like Innisfail. They would have been babies when they were spraying Agent Orange," she said.

Innisfail Mayor Bill Shannon said there was a high cancer rate in the area and there should be a full investigation.
The Queensland Government and the Federal Government said they would look into the issue.

fwalker@fairfaxmedia.com.au
Source: The Sun-Herald

-------------

Posted By: maccamax
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2019 at 10:49pm
Much the same with the " Mustard Gas " from WW2 on the East of Queensland.
I read somewhere recently that they were still dismantling stored Gas , from way back.

Many years ago there were former Servicemen getting compensation from being exposed to it.
W e wouldn't know what was hidden away in the mountains etc , of stock piles material from those times.   We had munition factories everywhere.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 11:00am
The Queensland Government and the Federal Government said they would look into the issue.

Hope they do a quicker and better look than they have done on the contamination from the RAAF base.  ( Cant remember what its called,,,Pfoss or some darn thing ).  People in the red zone near Williamtown, ( and other bases )  have been in limbo for years with endless  "pass the buck" put offs and not one ounce of help.

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 8:32pm

Native birds bring more benefits than damage to crops, orchards and grazing land, research finds

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/goulburnmurray/" rel="nofollow -

- ABC Goulburn Murray

By https://www.abc.net.au/news/abc-local/ben-nielsen/9009840" rel="nofollow - Ben Nielsen

Encouraging bird populations on farmland could increase yield by more than 10 per cent, according to an Albury researcher.

While it has traditionally been thought birds damage and eat crops, a https://researchoutput.csu.edu.au/en/publications/the-benefits-and-costs-of-bird-activity-in-agroecosystems" rel="nofollow - new study by Charles Sturt University's Rebecca Peisley shows the benefits outweigh the costs.

"A lot of farmers are really keen to find ways to reduce bird damage on their crops, but I was really interested in the other side of things — that birds can provide for farmers," Dr Peisley said.

"And I found birds were overwhelmingly positive in the three systems I looked at."

Dr Peisley observed the impact of birds on apple orchards, vineyards and grazing land during 2015 and 2016.

"I could trade off how much damage was caused compared with how much was prevented, to come up with an overall trade-off value.

"We always need to acknowledge that birds are doing damage, but we're now finding birds are providing some significant benefits."

Feathery friends, not foes

Dr Peisley said birds had become accustomed to traditional repellents such as gas guns and balloons, but natural methods were an effective alternative.

Her study showed native and predatory birds such as kookaburras and honeyeaters helped with animal and insect management, removed animal waste, reduced the spread of disease, and discouraged pests such as foxes.

She found in orchards, birds reduced the impact of insects by about 20 per cent while causing only 2 per cent damage.

In vineyards, predatory birds reduced damage by 50 per cent.

But Dr Peisley said it was hard to predict how changes to the environment might influence the ongoing behaviour of birds.

"I did my study during years of good rainfall … of course during other years, birds may do more damage than good, but that's all part of it.

The study filled a gap in Australian research, because similar studies had only been undertaken in America.

"I've really just touched the tip of the iceberg. There has to be birds in every single agricultural system we have in the country," Dr Peisley said.

"Agriculture is our main land use, so birds really have the potential to be significant providers to our entire agricultural industry."

Farmers receptive to research

Dr Peisley said farmers had responded well to her findings, presented at industry workshops held by the NSW Department of Primary Industries.

She said sustainable increases in yield had been the best way to illustrate the benefits to farmers who might be wary of birds.

"Many farmers are interested in finding ways to decrease bird damage on their farm, but they're also really interested in the benefits birds can be providing for them for free," Dr Peisley said.

She said farmers across the region had already started putting her research to the test, by installing perches in vineyards and maintaining native vegetation to help encourage birdlife.

"They don't really have to do anything to get these additional benefits. If we can let nature just do its thing, it's going to work in the farmers' favour."

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 6:18pm

Brutality rules Angry

The bloodshed has begun in Namibia

July 1, 2019 http://www.oceansentry.org/category/news/marine-mammals/" rel="nofollow - Marine Mammals 4,425 Views

Over the next four months, thousands of fur seals living in Cape Cross and Atlas Bay will be brutally killed for their fur, oil, and genitals.

Namibia, where seals are listed among the most important commercial marine species, has set an annual hunt quota of 80,000 Cape fur seal pups and 6,000 bulls.

As of today, some 80,000 Cape fur seal pups will be beaten to death after being violently separated from their mothers and herded for cruel slaughter. Pups, still nursing, will be hit in the skull and throughout the body. Then, whether they are still alive or dead, they will be stabbed in the neck and slashed open with knives in the middle of the screams of their mothers.

An additional 6,000 Cape fur seal bulls are killed for their genitalia (thought to be an aphrodisiac in some cultures.) Most of this is exported ultimately to Asia.

The massacre of Cape fur seals is brutal for a number of reasons, including the method of killing and the effect it has on the entire colony.

Once the men have a group of seals under their control, they let the group try to escape to the sea while clubbing them. They aim for the seals’ heads and try to stun them. In this panicked scene, with pups crying and terrified, trying to escape, clubbers often miss the seal pup’s head or hit the head with inadequate force to stun the pup. The clubbers, therefore, hit the pups repeatedly as they try to stun them. After they stun them, they stab the pups in the heart, still in front of the other pups and near the rest of the colony. Sometimes the pups have not been completely stunned or they regain consciousness as they are being stabbed (source: https://www.harpseals.org/about_the_hunt/cape_fur_seal_alert.php" rel="nofollow - harpseals.org )

The hunting season runs 139 days, from July through November, giving the animals little respite. Sealers target larger pups and allow the smaller, thinner ones—those with poorer chances of survival—to get away. This can weaken the long-term genetic vigor of the populations.

Hunting permits are issued by the Ministry of Fisheries and Marine Resources, which “accuses” the fur seals of depleting fish stocks.

The pups are killed mainly for their fur, but also for their blubber, which, like harp seal blubber, is sold as a ‘health food supplement’. The bones will be used in jewelry and skins to make boots and other luxury items.

Hatem Yavuz, a Turkish-Australian fur dealer, is one of the main license holders.

Archive footage

Hatem Yavuz, known as the butcher of Namibia, is responsible for the death of these hundreds of thousands of sea lions.

Yavuz resides in Australia and its fur processing plant is located in Turkey. Yavuz controls 60 percent of the fur market in the world.

Since Turkey is not part of the European Union (whose members are prohibited from importing and exporting products derived from seals), skins are shipped from Namibia to Turkey where they are processed and sold to countries such as China and Russia.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 1:26pm

Brazil’s President Is Actively Trying To Destroy Amazon Rainforest, Leaked Documents Show

By : https://www.unilad.co.uk/author/lconnolly/" rel="nofollow - Lucy Connolly On : 23 Aug 2019 11:30

The documents show arguments put forward by Jair Bolsonaro that a strong government presence in the Amazon region is important to prevent any conservation projects going forward.

Intending to build bridges, motorways, and a hydroelectric plant in the rainforest, the Brazilian government hopes to ‘fight off international pressure’ to protect the Amazon, according to the leaked information.

As reported by https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/amazon-rainforest-fires-jair-bolsonaro-ngo-san-paolo-a9075071.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1566549840" rel="nofollow - The Independent , the plans were leaked to political website https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/democraciaabierta/leaked-documents-show-brazil-bolsonaro-has-grave-plans-for-amazon-rainforest/" rel="nofollow - openDemocracy and include PowerPoint slides believed to have been presented at a meeting in February between Brazilian government officials and local leaders in Para state, which is home to the Amazonia National Park.

During the meeting, Brazilian ministers put forward projects planned for the region by President Bolsonaro’s government, with one slide mentioning a priority to strategically occupy the rainforest.

Brazil’s President Is Actively Trying To Destroy Amazon Rainforest, Leaked Documents Show

By : https://www.unilad.co.uk/author/lconnolly/" rel="nofollow - Lucy Connolly On : 23 Aug 2019 11:30

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Presidente_Bolsonaro.png" rel="nofollow - Wikimedia/PA

The Brazilian president is actively trying to devastate the Amazon rainforest, leaked documents have revealed.

The documents show arguments put forward by Jair Bolsonaro that a strong government presence in the Amazon region is important to prevent any conservation projects going forward.

Intending to build bridges, motorways, and a hydroelectric plant in the rainforest, the Brazilian government hopes to ‘fight off international pressure’ to protect the Amazon, according to the leaked information.

Peru Passes Momentous Ban On Palm Oil DeforestationPA Images

As reported by https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/amazon-rainforest-fires-jair-bolsonaro-ngo-san-paolo-a9075071.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1566549840" rel="nofollow - The Independent , the plans were leaked to political website https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/democraciaabierta/leaked-documents-show-brazil-bolsonaro-has-grave-plans-for-amazon-rainforest/" rel="nofollow - openDemocracy and include PowerPoint slides believed to have been presented at a meeting in February between Brazilian government officials and local leaders in Para state, which is home to the Amazonia National Park.

During the meeting, Brazilian ministers put forward projects planned for the region by President Bolsonaro’s government, with one slide mentioning a priority to strategically occupy the rainforest.

The slide reads, as per openDemocracy:

Development projects must be implemented on the Amazon basin to integrate it into the rest of the national territory in order to fight off international pressure for the implementation of the so-called ‘Triple A’ project.

To do this, it is necessary to build the Trombetas River hydroelectric plant, the Óbidos bridge over the Amazon River, and the implementation of the BR-163 highway to the border with Suriname.

Amazon Fires NASA 1NASA

The ‘Triple A’ (Andes, Amazon and Atlantic) project is a conservation effort led by the organisation Gaia Amazonas, which aims to conserve 265 million square kilometers of jungle and ‘the lungs of our world’.

But now Bolsonaro, Brazil’s controversial far-right president, appears to be sabotaging this effort as devastating fires rage through the Amazon. Fires which are causing a loss equivalent to three football fields per minute, according to the latest government data.

The rainforest – which covers northwestern Brazil and extends into Colombia, Peru and other South American countries – has been burning for weeks, https://www.unilad.co.uk/news/the-amazon-is-on-fire-and-the-smoke-has-blocked-out-the-sun/" rel="nofollow - plunging Brazil’s Sao Paulo into darkness and devastating the Amazon.

If the fire continues to burn at its current rate, this will be the first month for several years in which Brazil loses an area of forest bigger than Greater London, with many fearing it will never be able to recover.

According to the latest data from http://terrabrasilis.dpi.inpe.br/app/dashboard/alerts/legal/amazon/aggregated/#" rel="nofollow - Brazilian satellites , as per https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/25/amazonian-rainforest-near-unrecoverable-tipping-point" rel="nofollow - The Guardian , 1,345 square kilometres of the region were cleared in July – a third higher than the previous monthly record under its current monitoring system, the Deter B satellite system, which started in 2015.

Bolsonaro yesterday (August 22) claimed his government ‘lacks the resources’ to extinguish the fire, although environmental groups are now placing the blame for the devastation directly on him.

Richard George, head of forests at Greenpeace, told The Independent:

The whole area around the Amazon has been highly volatile with loggers and farmers, and Bolsonaro has absolutely lit a torch under that.

The fire currently sweeping through the rainforest reportedly took hold after farmers announced a coordinated ‘day of fire’ on August 10, due to the president giving the go-ahead for farmers and illegal loggers to enter indigenous communities.

Amazon rainforest firePA

The Amazon rainforest provides 20 per cent of the world’s oxygen, https://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-rainforest-experiencing-record-breaking-deforestation-2019-7?r=US&IR=T" rel="nofollow - Business Insider reports. However, if it continues to burn it would not only stop producing this oxygen and supporting wildlife, but it could also worsen climate change by triggering a ‘ https://www.unilad.co.uk/news/amazon-fires-part-of-doomsday-scenario-that-could-speed-up-climate-change/" rel="nofollow - doomsday dieback scenario ’.

This would ultimately result in dry leaves which, as well as being unable to absorb as much carbon, would be much more flammable and likely to spread fires – potentially causing the release of 140 billion tonnes of carbon stored in the Amazon into the atmosphere. As a result, global temperatures could rise even further.

Since the public were made aware of the devastating fire, millions rallied together to sign a petition urging the Brazilian government to ban the burning of the Amazon – something which could easily play a detrimental role in the https://www.unilad.co.uk/news/uk-government-declares-environment-and-climate-emergency/" rel="nofollow - climate emergency we are currently facing.

You can sign the petition to put an end to the burning of the rainforest https://www.change.org/p/stop-the-burning-of-the-amazon-rainforest" rel="nofollow - here .

If you have a story you want to tell send it to UNILAD via story@unilad.com

https://www.unilad.co.uk/author/lconnolly/" rel="nofollow -

A Broadcast Journalism Masters graduate who went on to achieve an NCTJ level 3 Diploma in Journalism, Lucy has done stints at ITV, BBC Inside Out and Key 103. While working as a journalist for UNILAD, Lucy has reported on breaking news stories while also writing features about mental health, cervical screening awareness, and Little Mix (who she is unapologetically obsessed with).
https://unilad.co.uk/news/brazils-president-is-actively-trying-to-destroy-amazon-rainforest-leaked-documents-show/?fbclid=IwAR0fHWvJksHDJL1Zm6uYAb93KtAHlrlqdw3aIUNw45UnKP-kR5QV8SRGF7E" rel="nofollow - https://unilad.co.uk/news/brazils-president-is-actively-trying-to-destroy-amazon-rainforest-leaked-documents-show/?fbclid=IwAR0fHWvJksHDJL1Zm6uYAb93KtAHlrlqdw3aIUNw45UnKP-kR5QV8SRGF7E

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 1:55pm
https://www.kdrv.com/content/news/Rancher-Says-Wild-Horses-Could-Help-Prevent-Wildfires-482987721.html?fbclid=IwAR2lmv3ZSjFve7enPRwlA_OIpPVNzYVpvUomdWln9mSxCHNYRC-UQkuQkOk" rel="nofollow - https://www.kdrv.com/content/news/Rancher-Says-Wild-Horses-Could-Help-Prevent-Wildfires-482987721.html?fbclid=IwAR2lmv3ZSjFve7enPRwlA_OIpPVNzYVpvUomdWln9mSxCHNYRC-UQkuQkOk

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 10:56pm

86 Tiger Temple Tigers Dead

After news broke on the 14th September 2019 that 86 of the 147 Tiger Temple tigers have died, Cee4life is releasing this statement on behalf of Sybelle Foxcroft who dedicated nine years of her life investigating, gathering the evidence, working with National Geographic in the last year (2015) to prove without doubt, that the Tiger Temple was involved in wildlife trafficking, killing and severe abuse of the tigers.

Sybelle Foxcroft’s Statement

“I went to the Tiger Temple in 2007 to do my university research report.  After two days of being there I witnessed two female tigers taken in the night and two males approximately 2 -3 weeks old brought into the Tiger Temple as replacements.  I was asked to be an undercover investigator for “Care for the Wild International” , I accepted as I was told by them that they were going to rescue the tigers.  My task was to find evidence of drugging and abuse, but I found much more than that.  I had found the evidence of wildlife trafficking and abuse within days.  In 2007 I had already discovered and witnessed multiple tigers trafficked , both young cubs and adults who were mostly females.  In 2007 there were only 18 tigers. I had reported the wildlife trafficking  to the organisation “Care for the Wild International”. I had told them of dates and times of upcoming trafficking and was promised by them that they would be there and catch the Tiger Temple traffickers. But every time I informed them of this, they failed to stop the trucks and cars leaving the Tiger Temple grounds with the dead and some alive tigers inside of them.  I removed myself from being their undercover investigator due to a gut instinct that they were not going to save any tiger.  I continued to gather the evidence for the next nine years.  When I think about that, I know that if action had occurred in 2007 when they only had 18 tigers, it could have all stopped if the people involved had integrity.

I saw tigers that were so ill but they did not receive any veterinary treatment.  I tried to help them myself, it was a nightmare when all I could do for some was sit beside them in their cage and try to comfort them.

After the Care for the Wild International report was released, all it did was make a big media storm, but it didn’t save any of the tigers.  My gut instinct was correct. Over the years, the tigers number began growing rapidly.  The use of the same females being forced to breed over and over was horrifying. I called it “speed breeding”  as when the female mother had her cubs, the cubs would then be taken off the mother, and the cubs were hand raised specifically for tourism purposes – ie: photo opportunities, and then the females would be put into cages with males to mate again and produce more cubs. It was harrowing to see this, know this, but feeling totally helpless.

At approximately the 4th year of my investigations, I began seeing tigers being born with severe inbreeding traits eg: short bowed legs, bent spinal cords, crossed eyed tigers, short neck with over sized heads, tiny ears, very deformed and more. I also began seeing tigers become shockingly ill with various illness’s but they were not provided any veterinary aid.  I had the evidence to prove trafficking and abuse from year 1 of my investigations, but it didn’t matter.  There is Thai law and there is Monk law and there is corruption scattered amongst it all.

The investigation was gruelling, and 2010 I spoke with the President of Cee4life, Michelle Cogley, and told her that no matter how much evidence I had (which by normal legal standards would have closed the place down in 2007) we needed a big media such as National Geographic to take this story on. Then in mid 2014 I told Michelle again that the only way to save the tigers from anymore killing, trafficking and inbreeding was to catch them on film doing it.

In December 2014, three tigers were trafficked, but these tigers were micro-chipped (while others weren’t and they were the ones that were supposed to vanish) and a mistake was made when the three micro-chipped tigers were taken. These micro-chipped tigers could be traced directly to the Tiger Temple.

I was contacted by a high ranking member of the inner circle of the Tiger Temple management, who had taken the CCTV plus recordings of the Abbot of Tiger Temple, the Veterinarian of Tiger Temple, and the staff of Tiger Temple all revealing in their own words, and on film,  that they were trafficking the tigers.  Twice the high ranking member of Tiger Temple (who had nothing to do with trafficking of tigers)  tried to get authorities in Thailand to look at the evidence he had gathered, but he was turned away each time.  So he contacted me and I was given all the film and recording evidence.  This was finally the last piece of evidence that I knew would prove above and beyond any law, that the Tiger Temple was killing and severely abusing the tigers, amongst other things.

I contacted National Geographic as I knew Cee4life was a small organisation and if we alone released the report, it would be easily forgotten and/or ignored, as I had experienced that before with this case.  I knew without doubt that the only way to save the tigers was to get a huge media organisation to help unleash the truth. That media was National Geographic and I worked with Sharon Guynup and Steve Winter throughout 2015.  (See report here –  http://www.cee4life.org/wp-content/uploads/cee4life_tiger-temple-report.pdf" rel="nofollow - http://www.cee4life.org/wp-content/uploads/cee4life_tiger-temple-report.pdf

Over the years,  I had reported multiple times regarding the illness’s of the tigers and the severe inbreeding, but it was ignored.

On 21st Jan 2016, Cee4life and National Geographic released both of our reports together. (See articles here –  https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2016/01/160121-tiger-temple-thailand-trafficking-laos0/" rel="nofollow - https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2016/01/160121-tiger-temple-thailand-trafficking-laos0

Saifa 2b Many PS 4 

I presented Cee4lifes Tiger Temple Report to The Department of National Parks, Thailand in December 2015. National Geographic also met with the Department of National Parks in Thailand in December 2015 and they had vital additional evidence.

Within days of the release of both Cee4life’s and National Geographic’s reports, the Department of National Parks, Thailand had already put in motion the details of the final confiscation of the tigers and the closure of the Tiger Temple.  The first 10 tigers were removed in January 2016, then the Tiger Temple began to put up a fight. I knew they would do that, so I had with held some information from the initial Tiger Temple report.  When the Tiger Temple stopped anymore confiscations in January 2016,  I submitted a second report to the Department of National Parks (that has never been released to the public due to the sensitive nature of it) which outlined the buying, selling and international movements of tiger body parts from the Tiger Temple. By June 2016 all tigers were removed and Tiger Temple was closed.  During the raid on Tiger Temple multiple dead tiger bodies were found, plus approximately one thousand tiger skin amulets, and full adult tiger skins, plus other paraphernalia related to tiger body part sales.

Sickness in the Tigers prior to confiscation 

Just prior to the June 2016 confiscation, a tiger died inside the tiger temple from an unknown illness. But for years prior, there were multiple tigers dying from illness’s that were unknown.  I remember reporting on these illness’s from approximately 2010.

The news regarding the deaths of 86 tigers from Laryngeal Paralysis is devastating, but it comes as no surprise to me.  Laryngeal Paralysis is the first sign of general neurological paralysis.  The neurological paralysis shows itself in a variety of ways.  One particular tiger, Mek Jnr, showed severe symptoms in 2015 when he was walking into walls, his back legs weakening, disorientation at times.  Again I wrote publicly about Mek Jnr and I was just about begging the Tiger Temple to help him, but they ignored it all and said he was fine. He was far from fine and he would end up dying in agony from this.

The illness’s within the Tiger Temple tigers were obtained inside the Tiger Temple and not at the Department of National Parks facility.  The severe inbreeding which caused lowered immune systems and other deformities occurred in the Tiger Temple prior to the confiscation of the Tigers.   The deaths of 86 of the Tiger Temple tigers is not the Department of National Parks, Thailand fault, it is the Tiger Temples evil doings and those that hid it.

To end this, I can say that I am devastated.  I am heartbroken.  I know that if in 2007, that organisation had acted on my findings that Tiger Temple would have ended then.   On hearing about the 86 deaths, it was like being smashed in the chest by a sledgehammer.

But, I also know that if the Tiger Temple had continued, and the tigers were not confiscated, they would have still died of the same illness’s, but the difference would be that the Tiger Temple would have skinned the dead bodies, and used the body parts for sales.

This has always been a tragic case. It has tested me physically and mentally to the very limits of my endurance. While some supporters of  Tiger Temple would like to throw the blame of tiger deaths at me, the truth is none of this would have happened if 1. In 2007 the Tiger Temple was stopped, 2. The staff and foreign volunteers had acted on the abuses and killings that they 100% knew was going on, but chose to hide it all.

The story of the Tiger Temple tigers is not over yet. I remember every one of them with both love and sorrow.

Sybelle Foxcroft

Never Give Up

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 9:19pm

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 12:19pm
This is a surprisingly worthwhile, balanced & revealing watch Big smile Someone mentioned fertiliser in another thread, the threat from these gargantuan amounts (US especially) is incredible Angry

In this ground-breaking film, animal biologist and meat-eater, Liz Bonnin, embarks on one of the toughest investigations of her career. Taking her from cattle farms in the decimated Amazon rainforests, to Dutch research labs growing in-vitro meat, Liz discovers the stark and sometimes stomach-churning reality of the meat industry.

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/1668117059746/meat-a-threat-to-our-planet" rel="nofollow - https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/1668117059746/meat-a-threat-to-our-planet

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 10:04pm
What a sickening example of pulling wool over taxpayers & voters eyes Angry
https://www.facebook.com/WildlifeRescueSunshineCoast/?__cft__%5b0%5d=AZVJUY8V-H23PYpCclua1RyRMAL4MtWl7CAobdYSzWPeG-95UZJLYgo7-HC2qS2TJxCuvJI7Cj0IVfGgFU9mhPOIGFWpJRKHv998DAGgmAQvcv_n_4ZvIp2fm8J9jdGMxWvIPC-yIT3HKxJOQ0eTKxoRpzWFA5dA0sxiXx1qORMXU2Bpw8lCKjJoxoE4JlWSPyHRYbAA-MWUFyqlka4J7wBQobw1wXjH96WasynAe9DGTwT4a77jZnKJ9TeYMb6_aOc&__tn__=-UC%2CP-y-R" rel="nofollow - Wildlife Rescue Sunshine Coast
https://www.facebook.com/WildlifeRescueSunshineCoast/posts/3338849236150103?__cft__%5b0%5d=AZVJUY8V-H23PYpCclua1RyRMAL4MtWl7CAobdYSzWPeG-95UZJLYgo7-HC2qS2TJxCuvJI7Cj0IVfGgFU9mhPOIGFWpJRKHv998DAGgmAQvcv_n_4ZvIp2fm8J9jdGMxWvIPC-yIT3HKxJOQ0eTKxoRpzWFA5dA0sxiXx1qORMXU2Bpw8lCKjJoxoE4JlWSPyHRYbAA-MWUFyqlka4J7wBQobw1wXjH96WasynAe9DGTwT4a77jZnKJ9TeYMb6_aOc&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-y-R" rel="nofollow - - - - 5 - h 
SUNSHINE COAST AIRPORT - Remember this tragic and unnecessary death in 2018?
Well it seems that maybe our hopes for wildlife at and near the airport, and assurances from the powers that be, could be a lot of hot air.
Information recently brought to our attention about the wildlife corridor, or access for wildlife traversing through the new site, might also be nothing more than smoke and mirrors.
Mud pits and heavily waterlogged areas are allegedly preventing kangaroos from exiting through this corridor. We have had numerous reports about the lone kangaroo seemingly trapped behind the airport fencing over the last 2 years, and more worrisome is the rise in reports of not just this male but of others too.
Our sources have also informed us that the new runway, 1331, is cutting right across a wildlife air corridor with excessively high numbers of bird strikes compared to runway 1836.
Allegedly, up to 50 birds per day are being shot in the vicinity of the new runway. These are mostly black and white species like magpies. Up until now these shootings have been carried out by an airport employee but the volume of wildlife is apparently so great that a company in Brisbane has allegedly been contacted to manage the wildlife problem.
We would like to know the daily ammunition sets being used.
At other airports, shooting to kill wildlife is pretty much a last resort. Scaring birds off runways is usually undertaken by mobile runway security using firearms. Destruction of wildlife at a last resort.
Magpies have been turning up with bloodied faces and dripping blood from their beaks where theyve been pepper-shot with lead pellets, not to mention those that have been killed outright.
With the loss of the Ground Parrot Habitat, the hideous deaths of kangaroos in mud pits during construction, and now alleged mass bird killings it begs the question, did the Sunshine Coast community sign up for this land-grab? Not only sacrificing precious habitat and wildlife, but also an asset with the original airport?
Pallisades is the big Superannuation company that now controls that land and our airport, and guess what Coasters, we are not benefitting from any of it! Not financially, and certainly not environmentally.
The land grab will see other retail and commercial precincts move into the airport land held by Pallisades. Perhaps its not all about air travel, tourism, connectivity with other States after all.
The rhetoric bundled up in clouds of smoke and mirrors is starting to look more and more like a very very bad deal for residents and rate payers too.
Mayor Jamieson, weve been told is very keen on Pallisades, is there a beneficial connection there? Wasnt one of his financial supporters also project managing the new airport construction? Please correct me if Im wrong ??
Jobs for the boys, old school tie syndrome and favour-doing have no place in a transparent society.
Are we a transparent community?
Perhaps its time to just follow the money?
Either way, if you have any information about anything raised here, please let us know.

-------------

Posted By: Baghdad Bob
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 12:18pm

This might put environmentalists to the test.WinkWink

Save planet, shun condoms

CONCERNS about the environmental impact of condoms are leading some Australians to shun them contributing to a concerning spike in sexually transmitted diseases.

Latest figures revealed chlamydia and gonorrhoea cases are climbing higher each year in the past decade dipping only slightly last year despite widespread restrictions.

This has coincided with a growing refusal of young Aussies to wear condoms. For some, its an environmental act.

Polyurethane condoms are not biodegradable or recyclable, while the science is unclear on how long latex condoms take to degrade.

Lambskin condoms do degrade, but do not protect against STIs. Vegans also avoid condoms that are dipped in casein, an animal product.

Sexual health expert John Scott said detrimental messaging on social media, including activists urging people to not use condoms due to their damage to the environment, were contributing to the decline in their use.

I wouldnt discount the impact (of environmental concerns). If youre someone thats environmentally woke, you are going to have these competing things to consider: the environment or sexual health, Prof Scott said.

Its the irony, because having more people on the earth isnt good for the environment.

Getting the right messaging around safe sex out will be hard as there are all these competing truths. I dont think we take the health authorities as seriously as we once did.

Vegan influencer Renee Buckingham, who runs the Sydney and Melbourne Vegan guide, said she did not believe sustainability was driving STIs, but agreed anti-condom views were concerningly rampant in the vegan community.

Some people are willing to put the environments health before their own, she said. Thats not my personal view.

angira.bharadwaj@news.com.au

Date Posted: 05 May 2021 at 10:59pm
https://abcnews.go.com/International/south-africa-end-captive-lion-breeding-bone-trade/story?id=77451913&fbclid=IwAR15ml5Y_fJ7foZhX54FUdf6wMD1ZRe7ALAmZ9HJ7TjJewFloVTvski7RaU

South Africa to end captive lion breeding, bone trade

The industry "poses risks to the sustainability of wild lion conservation."

LONDON -- South Africa announced Sunday it plans to end its multimillion-dollar captive lion industry and said it wont oppose the international ban on the rhinoceros horn and elephant ivory trade.

The announcement was made alongside the release of a nearly 600-page report by a special government-appointed advisory committee tasked with reviewing the countrys policies, legislation and practices related to the management, breeding, hunting, trade and handling of elephants, lions, leopards and rhinos.

"The panel identified that the captive lion industry poses risks to the sustainability of wild lion conservation," South African Minister of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment Barbara Creecy said in a statement Sunday. "The panel recommends that South Africa does not captive-breed lions, keep lions in captivity, or use captive lions or their derivatives commercially. I have requested the department to action this accordingly and ensure that the necessary consultation in implementation is conducted."

The committee also recommended that Creecy consult with other countries in the region to determine under what conditions current stockpiles of rhino horn and elephant ivory can be disposed.

Creecy said her department will move to adopt all recommendations in the report that were supported by the majority of the 25-strong High-Level Panel, which was established in October 2019. The committee came to a consensus on all recommendations except those for captive lion and rhino breeding, for which Creecy said she will take the majority view.

She stressed the recommendations were not against the hunting industry and that implementing them "will result in both protection and enhancement of South Africas international reputation, repositioning the country as an even more competitive destination of choice for ecotourism and responsible hunting."

"Preventing the hunting of captive lions is in the interests of the authentic wild hunting industry and will boost the hunting economy and our international reputation and the jobs that this creates," Creecy said.

South Africa has drawn criticism in recent years for commodifying its captive-bred lions at every stage of life, from birth to death. There are hundreds of facilities across https://abcnews.go.com/International/lions-menu-now-inside-legal-lion-bone-trade/story?id=64827468" rel="nofollow - South Africa that are legally breeding and raising thousands of lions as well as other big cats, sometimes in tiny enclosures and unsatisfactory conditions. Cubs are separated from their mothers just days after birth, so the adult females can be continuously bred.

The animals are then hand-reared so they grow up to be tame and used to humans. Cubs are used in petting attractions while they're very young and small. Adolescent lions are used in other tourist activities, such as walking with lions.

When they get too big to safely interact with tourists, the lions are either recycled back into the breeding industry or sold to other facilities where they will be gunned down in canned trophy hunts or killed for their bones. Lion bones, teeth and claws are typically shipped to East and Southeast Asia, where they are often used in jewelry or falsely advertised as tiger parts for luxury products.

Critics say it's a poorly-regulated and cruel business that exploded into an increasingly lucrative industry amid the rising demand for lion parts and at a time when the African lion, which is classified as "vulnerable" on the International Union for Conservation of Nature's Red List of Threatened Species, is already in steep decline across the continent.

Conservationists say they have seen the detrimental impact that South Africas legal lion bone trade is having on the conservation of the regions wild lion populations, because poachers have caught on to the growing market for lion parts. The South African government had previously raised concerns that bones would be sourced illegally from wild lions to satisfy demand if the trade in captive-bred ones was prohibited.

"Thousands of farmed lions are born into a life of misery in South Africa every year in cruel commercial breeding facilities," Edith Kabesiime, Africa wildlife campaign manager for World Animal Protection, a global animal welfare nonprofit organization, said in a statement Sunday. "This latest move by the government of South Africa is courageous -- taking the first steps in a commitment to long-lasting and meaningful change. This is a win for wildlife."

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 8:04pm

Hopefully other States & Countries will follow suit Clap

People caught releasing balloons in Victoria to be slapped with whopping fines

Victoria has outlawed a common outdoor practice under strict new regulations and those who continue to do it face whopping fines.

Individuals can now be fined a whopping $991 for the act, while companies can be forced to pay up to $4956.

For a series of balloon releases, or if taken to court, penalties can rise to $16,522 for an individual and $82,610 for a company.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 8:18pm
Wish they would ramp up prosecution for unlawfull fireworks as well.

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 6:08pm
This guy sure is a mover & shaker when it comes to animals Clap

https://www.facebook.com/AndyMeddickMP?__cft__%5b0%5d=AZW8iOhQbTCS-Vi8FZCZ0l3Xq_nK8LVVl0PDg3u9aJtW8W1UDYeQQionBXK5I3TDu5U8HPCdNv9dJr3g5p_MWYPFW0KFcgFgV5jH9vrKBxnitVyx1z3jRuykHlOz59ljApzVQqMPScCg3q0PRmyQF1JVcGNcdxyy7EUgxgLj8O1OLVmpwMAs7fkpuHbnsO5ngIc&__tn__=-UC%2CP-R" rel="nofollow - - Andy Meddick MP

https://www.facebook.com/AndyMeddickMP/posts/457638772387614?__cft__%5b0%5d=AZW8iOhQbTCS-Vi8FZCZ0l3Xq_nK8LVVl0PDg3u9aJtW8W1UDYeQQionBXK5I3TDu5U8HPCdNv9dJr3g5p_MWYPFW0KFcgFgV5jH9vrKBxnitVyx1z3jRuykHlOz59ljApzVQqMPScCg3q0PRmyQF1JVcGNcdxyy7EUgxgLj8O1OLVmpwMAs7fkpuHbnsO5ngIc&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R" rel="nofollow -    
BREAKING: Only moments ago, a report was tabled in parliament, which recommended a ban on 1080 poison.
I advocated for and won its acceptance into the final report of the Inquiry into Ecosystem Decline in Victoria.
1080 poison is cruel, indiscriminate and banned almost everywhere else in the world. It kills native species and non-target species - including domestic dogs.
Now, we need to push the government to adopt the recommendation and make it law. Watch this space.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 4:21pm

Orphaned brumby foal adopts Brahman cow as its mother on Mount Garnet cattle station

https://postimages.org/" rel="nofollow">

https://postimages.org/" rel="nofollow">

It's an unlikely pairing born out of necessity, but a Brahman cow has embraced motherhood by adopting an orphaned brumby foal on a far north Queensland cattle station.

Key points:

• A Brahman cow is rearing an orphaned brumby foal on a Queensland cattle station
  • An expert says most cows would reject any attempts even by other calves to suckle
  • The wild foal is set for a new home

Mount Garnet grazier Rob O'Shea recently noticed the wild foal around the cattle herd on his Tablelands property after its mother died.

What happened next left him scratching his head.

"I saw a cow looking after it," Mr O'Shea said.

"The little foal was sucking the cow … I've never seen that in my life before."

The cow had never calved, according to Mr O'Shea, but it was content to take on the role of stepmother.

"That cow is worth her weight in gold," he said. "Looks like she would take anything on to rear it."

The foal has been welcomed into the herd.

"Now she sleeps with all the calves," Mr O'Shea said.

Foals need to consume about 20 per cent of their body weight in milk each day.(Supplied: Rob O'Shea)

"It whinnies to the cow and the cow bellows and answers it.

"She bathes it and she's made a real mother of it."

A social media post about the animals' bond has gone viral, with thousands of likes, shares and hundreds of comments.

Mr O'Shea puts the interest down to the strangeness of the pairing.

"Whoever I showed it to, they've never seen it in their life and probably never see it again," he said.

Unlikely friendships

James Cook University associate professor of animal reproduction John Cavalieri said foals were critically dependent on milk for survival. 

https://www.facebook.com/lorraine.cross.9883/posts/pfbid0dgUE2CgmUFivbkZrdRcJHYJtr4h8D7V7nx15E6NxSBWJQDGefCRJWYCwKE5X8ZbXl" rel="nofollow -
-

- Posted by https://www.facebook.com/lorraine.cross.9883" rel="nofollow - Lorraine Cross on  https://www.facebook.com/100005745732382/posts/2145046209030216/" rel="nofollow - Saturday, November 26, 2022

They need to consume about 20 to 25 per cent of their body weight in milk each day.

"If cows were the only thing that were available, it would potentially gravitate towards a cow," he said.

"What's unusual in this case is that most cows reject any attempts even by other calves to suckle."

Dr Cavalieri said there were differences between cow's milk and horse's milk.

"If you do have an orphaned foal, we usually would recommend another mare's milk being provided," he said.

"You can use goat's milk or cow's milk and supplement it with a little bit of extra lactose, so it's not impossible."

But it seems all good things must come to an end.

Mr O'Shea said while the foal was in a good condition, he had found it a new home.

Copy/paste:  https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2022-11-29/brahman-cow-adopts-brumby-foal-in-unlikely-animal-pairing/101709650

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 9:40pm

Brutality rules Angry

The bloodshed has begun in Namibia

July 1, 2019 http://www.oceansentry.org/category/news/marine-mammals/" rel="nofollow - Marine Mammals 4,425 Views

Over the next four months, thousands of fur seals living in Cape Cross and Atlas Bay will be brutally killed for their fur, oil, and genitals.

Namibia, where seals are listed among the most important commercial marine species, has set an annual hunt quota of 80,000 Cape fur seal pups and 6,000 bulls.

As of today, some 80,000 Cape fur seal pups will be beaten to death after being violently separated from their mothers and herded for cruel slaughter. Pups, still nursing, will be hit in the skull and throughout the body. Then, whether they are still alive or dead, they will be stabbed in the neck and slashed open with knives in the middle of the screams of their mothers.

An additional 6,000 Cape fur seal bulls are killed for their genitalia (thought to be an aphrodisiac in some cultures.) Most of this is exported ultimately to Asia.

The massacre of Cape fur seals is brutal for a number of reasons, including the method of killing and the effect it has on the entire colony.

Once the men have a group of seals under their control, they let the group try to escape to the sea while clubbing them. They aim for the seals’ heads and try to stun them. In this panicked scene, with pups crying and terrified, trying to escape, clubbers often miss the seal pup’s head or hit the head with inadequate force to stun the pup. The clubbers, therefore, hit the pups repeatedly as they try to stun them. After they stun them, they stab the pups in the heart, still in front of the other pups and near the rest of the colony. Sometimes the pups have not been completely stunned or they regain consciousness as they are being stabbed (source: https://www.harpseals.org/about_the_hunt/cape_fur_seal_alert.php" rel="nofollow - harpseals.org )

The hunting season runs 139 days, from July through November, giving the animals little respite. Sealers target larger pups and allow the smaller, thinner ones—those with poorer chances of survival—to get away. This can weaken the long-term genetic vigor of the populations.

Hunting permits are issued by the Ministry of Fisheries and Marine Resources, which “accuses” the fur seals of depleting fish stocks.

The pups are killed mainly for their fur, but also for their blubber, which, like harp seal blubber, is sold as a ‘health food supplement’. The bones will be used in jewelry and skins to make boots and other luxury items.

Hatem Yavuz, a Turkish-Australian fur dealer, is one of the main license holders.

Archive footage

Hatem Yavuz, known as the butcher of Namibia, is responsible for the death of these hundreds of thousands of sea lions.

Yavuz resides in Australia and its fur processing plant is located in Turkey. Yavuz controls 60 percent of the fur market in the world.

Since Turkey is not part of the European Union (whose members are prohibited from importing and exporting products derived from seals), skins are shipped from Namibia to Turkey where they are processed and sold to countries such as China and Russia.

This is why humans will one day be wiped off the planet by some virulent virus, and we deserve it. 

-------------
Panspermia.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 11:01am
We visited the seal colony on the skeleton coast in Namib in Sept 2019, and there were literally millions of them .  The smell was unbelievable.
But the way they cull is inhuman.  
As I say when we get talking about brumbies.  Cull if you must but do it humanely.  Years ago there were ructions over the same type of killing on the ice banks in far north Canada and some other places like Norway. Its barbaric and to think it still happens in this day and age.

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 2:09pm
Brickbats Angry

'Shameful and heartbreaking': largest wolf cull in modern history underway in Sweden

A pair of gray wolves plays at Wolf Park in Indiana.

"It's disastrous for the entire ecosystem," warned one activist. "The existence of wolves contributes to a richer animal and plant life. Human survival depends on healthy ecosystems."

Wildlife defenders in Sweden and beyond decried the start on Monday of what's being called the largest wolf cull in modern times, arguing that killing nearly a fifth of the country's critically endangered lupine population could have grave consequences for biodiversity.

Swedish public broadcaster SVT https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/varmland/storsta-vargjakten-i-modern-tid-75-vargar-far-skjutas" rel="nofollow - reports hunters in the five Swedish counties with the most wolves—Gävleborg, Dalarna, Västmanland, Örebro, and Värmland—will be allowed to kill a total of 75 wolves out of a national population of 460 animals.

"The existence of wolves contributes to a richer animal and plant life. Human survival depends on healthy ecosystems."

Last winter, Sweden https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jan/15/finland-sweden-norway-cull-wolf-population-eu" rel="nofollow - authorized the killing of 27 wolves, while hunters in neighboring Norway had permission to kill 51 wolves—about 60% of the lupine population—and Finland approved the culling of 27 wolves.

While Gunnar Glöersen, the predator manager at the Swedish Hunters' Association, says "hunting is absolutely necessary to slow the proliferation of wolves," Daniel Ekblom of Sweden's Nature Conservation Society called the cull "tragic."

"It could have consequences for a long time to come," Ekblom told SVT.

Other opponents of the cull noted Sweden's relatively low wolf population. Italy, for example, is only about half as large as Sweden but has around 3,000 wolves, which are https://wilderness-society.org/italy-rejects-demand-for-wolf-killing/" rel="nofollow - strictly protected by law.

"Wolves as top predators in the food chain are a prerequisite for biodiversity," Marie Stegard, president of the anti-hunting group Jaktkritikerna, https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jan/02/huge-swedish-wolf-hunt-will-be-disastrous-for-species-warn-experts" rel="nofollow - told The Guardian, warning that killing so much of "the population through hunting has negative consequences for animals and nature."

"It's disastrous for the entire ecosystem," she said. "The existence of wolves contributes to a richer animal and plant life. Human survival depends on healthy ecosystems."

Stegard added:

It is obvious that there is strong political pressure for licensed hunting for wolves, and also lynx and bear.
There is a large majority of Swedes who like wolves, even where they live. In our opinion, the reason for these hunts is simply that there is a demand for shooting wolves among hunters. The hunters' organizations have enormous power in Sweden. It is a fact that the Swedish parliament has a hunters' club open to members of all parties, with a shooting gallery underneath the parliament. This sounds like a joke but it's absolutely true.

The Swedish Parliament is also https://www.riksdagen.se/sv/dokument-lagar/dokument/svar-pa-skriftlig-fraga/varg-i-renbetesomradet-_HA1226" rel="nofollow - lobbying the European Union to remove wolves and bears from its list of species in need of protection.

Hanna Dittrich-Söderman, who leads the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency's wolf program, says the lupine predators hold a special place in national folklore, evoking primal fears and irrational hatred.

"There is no other animal that is so easy to both demonize and glorify as the wolf—an imagined fear or hatred has been attached to it," Dittrich-Söderman https://www.thelocal.se/20221229/wild-boar-thrive-while-sweden-targets-mythical-wolf/" rel="nofollow - told The Local. "We have almost made it a symbol of our fearful nature as a whole, it has almost mythical qualities."

-------------

Posted By: Hello Sunshine
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 9:38pm
And koalas on the endangered list.
How did this happen?
Clearing of land for more housing.
Australia has an awful record as well.

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 9:40pm

Behind Darwin's sweeping Lee Point beach is a patch of diverse bushland where Ian Redmond has his binoculars out, scanning the long native grasses for Gouldian finches.

Key points:

• Birdwatchers are calling on the federal government not to approve Gouldian finch habitat destruction
  • The federal Environment Department says it will provide a recommendation based on a bird habitat survey
  • Birders want more surveys carried out during peak Gouldian finch breeding time

"They've got all these yellows, greens, purples and blues, it's hard to believe you can put all that colour into one bird, and they're quite friendly, they come up quite close," the organiser of the Save Lee Point community group said.

James Lambert is another birdwatcher who frequents Lee Point.

"The first time I came here, I thought it looks a bit scrappy and there weren't many birds, but in fact it's very very rich in birds, practically any day you come you can see long-tailed finch, masked finch, chestnut breasted manikan, we've even had yellow rumped manikans here," he said.

Today there aren't any Gouldians, but flocks of masked and double barred finches busily collect grass seed a few metres from where we stand.

It's the absence of Gouldians at this late time of the year that has Mr Redmond worried.

A sign among trees warning trespassers to stay away because of a planned housing development in the area.
Defence Housing Austalia is planning to build 780 houses at Lee Point in Darwin. (ABC News: Jane Bardon)

The federal government is currently deciding whether to bulldoze 130 hectares of this Defence land for a housing development.

Its Defence Housing Australia company has started clearing the land for 778 houses for Defence personnel and to sell to the public.

Commonwealth 'considering all available information'

Federal Environment Minister Tanya Plibersek halted the work in September after being alerted by the birdwatchers that they had spotted endangered Gouldians at Lee Point, and thousands of visitors had come from all over Australia and the world to see them.

There is now a stand-off between the birders and the government housing company, as they wait to see if the minister will allow the development to continue.

Two men with binoculars looking at a sign featuring a Gouldian finch, on a wire fence.
Ian Redmond and David Percival are calling for finch surveys to be carried out in April. (ABC News: Jane Bardon)

"Our wildlife is going to decrease if we don't look after our large trees and their nesting hollows, and that's why it's really important to look after habitat like this," Mr Redmond said.

"The only park that has more habitats in the Top End would be Kakadu National Park which is about 4,000 times as large as Lee Point.

"Lee Point has most of the bird species of Kakadu so it is a rich biodiverse area that we should look after for future generations."

Asked what she intends to do, the minister referred the question to her environment department.

In a statement the department told the ABC: "In late October 2022 Defence Housing Australia provided the department with a report on the outcomes of a Gouldian finch habitat survey at the Lee Point housing development site undertaken by its consultants.

It said it is "considering all available information, including survey results" before making "recommendations to the minister on whether to vary, suspend or revoke the approval".

Bird watchers such as David Percival claim the bird survey was carried out outside the peak breeding period for the Gouldian finches, adding they want more surveys carried out.

A black cockatoo flying, with blue sky and green trees in the background.
Birdwatchers claim Lee Point is a vital habitat for many Australian bird species.(Supplied: Tobias Aakesson)

"The government needs to wait and stop the development going ahead until they check out the tree hollows next year for potential breeding of Gouldian finches," he said.

"That means looking for the Gouldian finches around their breeding period which is April, May, June," Mr Redmond said.

There are estimated to be just 2,500 Gouldian finches left in the wild in northern Australia.

In its environmental impact statement for the project in 2017, Defence Housing said it was "unlikely" Lee Point was Gouldian finch habitat.

The Northern Territory Environment Protection Authority's recommendation that the development should be approved didn't mention Gouldian finches at all.

Three finches - one colourful, two brown - drinking water on the ground.
There are estimated to be only 2,500 Gouldian finches left in the wild in the NT.(Supplied: Tobias Aakesson)

Fears for habitat of 'iconic bird'

Asked whether the Northern Territory Government is going to review any of its approvals, Chief Minister Natasha Fyles said she was leaving it to the Commonwealth to decide.

"Of course we need to have natural environmental areas so we can enjoy the great lifestyle, but we do need new homes," she said.

There are precedents where the existence of endangered animals stopped has developments going ahead, including in Victoria where orange bellied parrot habitat was identified around a proposed wind farm.

The Lee Point housing development opponents are arguing the federal government's commitment at the international COP15 biodiversity summit to protect 30 % of the Australian landscape for wildlife should include this area.

"Between the two creeks here, Sandy and Buffalo, you've got a quarter of all the birds ever recorded in Australia, you've got 6,000 migratory shorebirds, you've got ten species of finches," Mr Percival said.

"I saw a flock of about 130 Gouldian finches fly across this path that you're on last dry season.

"Tell me how many other places in Australia get that?

"Gouldians are protected, they're an iconic bird, why aren't they using brown field site, one that's already been degraded, for this development?"

Ian Redmond said the finches and their watchers are in the minister's hands.

"It's not possible to preserve all the habitats, we do need land for housing, but we should be aiming preserving the high-quality habitat like this that you just can't replace and you can't generate back in a lifetime," he said.

Posted By: Carioca
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Hello Sunshine Hello Sunshine wrote:

And koalas on the endangered list.
How did this happen?
Clearing of land for more housing.
Australia has an awful record as well.
I'm sure you remember the devastating bushfires down almost 2/3 rds of the East coast of NSW and into Vic. prolonged and rampant , keep up sunny , I know you mean well . Wink

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 9:34am
Oh and those catastrophes as well.
Thank you for pointing that out Censored
I suppose your argument is with the clearing for more housing means less bush to burn....
And bugger the environment.

Posted By: Carioca
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 12:35pm
Now you know what has depleted the koala pop. point out my argument with land clearing , I've forgotten where it is . Confused

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 7:37pm

Horses, camels and deer get a bad rap for razing plants – but our new research shows they’re no worse than native animals

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net