Print Page | Close Window

Boxing / UFC

Printed From: Thoroughbred Village
Category: All Sports - Public Forums
Forum Name: Joffs All Sports Bar
Forum Description: Visit the famous All Sports Forum to chat with friends about any sporting topic
URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=56100
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 11:16am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Boxing / UFC
Posted By: Ecair Issoire
Subject: Boxing / UFC
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 1:17pm
Rousey V Holm Sunday Arvo.

$1:09 v around $8.

rousey by submission in rd 1 $1:83

any hope for holm?
any value to be found in any market?
any other good bets on the card?

(a few weeks ago a bloke was telling how hot he found rousey, personally
a woman being able to beat the living sh*t out of me is a bit of a turn off..
so doesn't push my buttons at all.)

Replies:
Posted By: AndiCap
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 1:40pm
You prefer to be the one doing the belting? Shocked    Tongue

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 1:41pm
But, in answer to your query re value-
The 1.83 first round looks okay for mine-

Posted By: max manewer
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 1:45pm
You'd like to wrestle Arousey ?

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 2:00pm
andi,

just doesn't push my buttons, that's all.
being a happily married mam, only mrs e i gets to push my buttons anyway, so all good.

Posted By: Tlazolteotl
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 10:58am
I lost interest in it after they banned kneess to the head on the ground and headbutting. It's a girls' sport now.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 11:15am
blood sport. I'd expect an upswing in schoolgirls brawls as a result of this. What gets me about the frequent youtube school-girl scraps, is the people around them are all egging them on, not trying to break it up.

Posted By: tillyras
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 11:23am
I've seen worse fights between 15yo girls at the local shopping centre. Who doesn't love a good hair pull Stern Smile

Besides, this fight is 'fake' anyway.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

blood sport. I'd expect an upswing in schoolgirls brawls as a result of this. What gets me about the frequent youtube school-girl scraps, is the people around them are all egging them on, not trying to break it up.

Do you like boxing?

Posted By: LR80
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 12:10pm
Ronda by 1st round submission looks a good bet.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Do you like boxing?
Boxing is a lot more acceptable than this cage-fighting stuff.

Posted By: subastral
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 2:01pm
Turned it over for first time ever today. First fight was innocent enough. Was actually quite homoerotic, just 2 dudes with repressed sexuality holding back their desire to kiss.....
Last one I watched was the Aussie kid elbowing a guy in the face repeatedly, blood smeared over both bodies, commentators talking about what a great style the Aussie had. I turned it off. Barbaric, disgraceful, prehistoric and I cant see how social acceptance of this and a spike in domestic and social violence cannot have a link.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

Turned it over for first time ever today. First fight was innocent enough. Was actually quite homoerotic, just 2 dudes with repressed sexuality holding back their desire to kiss.....
Last one I watched was the Aussie kid elbowing a guy in the face repeatedly, blood smeared over both bodies, commentators talking about what a great style the Aussie had. I turned it off. Barbaric, disgraceful, prehistoric and I cant see how social acceptance of this and a spike in domestic and social violence cannot have a link.

It alarms me that this seems to be seen as OK. Reminds me of ancient Rome and the barbarity of the colusseum, or is heading in that direction. Very poor example for young people. When I was a kid, we knew the wrestling was theatre, UFC is just vicious.

Posted By: tilt10
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 2:26pm

It alarms me that this seems to be seen as OK. Reminds me of ancient Rome and the barbarity of the colusseum, or is heading in that direction. Very poor example for young people. When I was a kid, we knew the wrestling was theatre, UFC is just vicious.

Got to agree. When they started this type of fighting i thought it wouldn't last. How wrong i was.

Barbaric blood sport.

-------------
So Col Tidy.     What is the best horse you have ever seen race in Australia?      "Vain". What a good judge.
So Ken Callander. Best sprinter you have ever seen in Australia?  "Vain by a long

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 2:34pm
It's symptomatic of a society that has shifted visibly toward an over-competitive, under-cooperative, give the other fella hell mindset. No wonder  cops get curry from 14 and 15 year olds today, they'd only get from 17 or 18 year old miscreants just a few years ago.

Posted By: James Bond Esq
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 2:37pm
A blood bath.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 2:56pm
Some softies on this forum.

Cmon Ronda!

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 3:01pm
You are a renowned Philistine/redneck, LR80. Help me Ronda, help me get her out of my heart !

Posted By: Passing Through
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 3:10pm
I am not so sure there is general acceptance of this or any fighting sports. There will always be a section of the community who supports it and as long as it is commercially viable it will always exist.

Posted By: deejays destiny
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 3:29pm
Glorifying violence is not a great move IMO

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 4:58pm
I can understand it if you dislike all combats sports include boxing, but if you say you don't mind boxing, that tells me me you don't mind brain damage but consider the sight of blood to be barbaric. Boxing and UFC are equally barbaric but they bleed more in UFC because they don't use big gloves.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 5:03pm

Don't think any of it is a good idea, but kicking and kneeing seems more likely to cause injury than padded gloves used in boxing. But maybe not.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 5:06pm
I'm pretty sure the Pacquaio v Mayweather fight had mainstream coverage, set world record in PPV sales, live gate revenue.

Boxing/UFC are gladiator sports and I marvel at their athleticism rather than derive pleasure out of the violent aspect to the sport. I'd encourage some of the PC brigade to get off their phones, tablets and computers, stop whinging and spar a few rounds in headgear, shadow box or hit the bag. Maybe you'll enjoy the fitness aspect of it. If not, you can always get back to plotting which sport to ban next. 

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 5:15pm
i enoy watching a good fight too.
be it boxing/mixed martial arts, any code really.
people are intersted in who's the fastest, who can jump higher,
further, who can shoot a gun the most accurately ( on that should all
shooting, archery, fencing sports be banned too as they are based around weapons?)

people are also interested in who is the best fighter.
sometimes 1 has to defend themselves and fights happen -
these athletes are role models i nthe sense that they are fit as f*ck
+ to my knowledge advocate using their skills in self defence or in a ring/fair contest.
do archery / shooting events glorify guns + killing ?

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 5:16pm

Belting people and getting belted isn't that ideal as a way to fitness.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 5:17pm
good way to prepare yourself if you ever have to defend yourself 1 day.
+ not like they actually beat the cr*p out of eachother in training.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 5:18pm
I would rather have these fighting types in controlled environments than running loose on the streets
beating up on random innocents-

The FACT is many just want to fight and will go out of their way to provoke one-

Posted By: swanks
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 5:18pm
I really can't see the dislike to this sport on here. Some of my closest mates are mma fighters, albeit not professional, but they would be the nicest blokes you'd meet. They dont fight when not in the ring, they're taught discipline by they're trainers.

Its nothing like the romans, because no one is forced to fight to death. There hasn't been a death in ufc. And the reason why they use those small gloves is because the big boxing gloves put the guy on the edge of concussion every time they're punched on the button. That's why alot of the older boxers have some form of brain damage. Its proven that a quick knock out is better than being on the edge for most of the fight.

Btw, everyones favourite actor/martial artist bruce lee was also in a ufc style fight club. Would of loved to see him in the ufc at his prime though👍

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 5:30pm
not like they go wandering the streets and beating up old ladies
+ televise it.

2 athletes testing themselves + their training/styles v eachother.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 5:33pm
God's gift to womankind and greatest athlete of all time ko'd in round 2.LOL

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 5:36pm
Trouble is, EI, that a certain percentage of the population (half-wits) will be inspired to act out such antics in inter-personal disagreements. Anything that seems to normalize it, edges them closer to it.

Posted By: scamanda
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Ecair Issoire Ecair Issoire wrote:

i enoy watching a good fight too.
be it boxing/mixed martial arts, any code really.
people are intersted in who's the fastest, who can jump higher,
further, who can shoot a gun the most accurately ( on that should all
shooting, archery, fencing sports be banned too as they are based around weapons?)

people are also interested in who is the best fighter.
sometimes 1 has to defend themselves and fights happen -
these athletes are role models i nthe sense that they are fit as f*ck
+ to my knowledge advocate using their skills in self defence or in a ring/fair contest.
do archery / shooting events glorify guns + killing ?

Firearms are used in sports shooting. 
Firearms only become weapons in the wrong hands.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by LR80 LR80 wrote:

OOPS !
What an unedifying scene it was, Rousey bloodied, dazed, and beaten.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:23pm

Originally posted by LR80 LR80 wrote:

OOPS !
What an unedifying scene it was, Rousey bloodied, dazed, and beaten.

Lucky I didn't pay a cent to watch it, thanks to live streaming. It was $60 on Main event which was daylight robbery.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:25pm
Knocked out by a kick to the head.  Thumbs Down A fine sport for any parent to encourage their daughters to enter. Thumbs Down

Posted By: Whale
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by tillyras tillyras wrote:

I've seen worse fights between 15yo girls at the local shopping centre. Who doesn't love a good hair pull Stern Smile

Besides, this fight is 'fake' anyway.

I see so the result was predetermined Confused

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:37pm

Knocked out by a kick to the head.  Thumbs Down A fine sport for any parent to encourage their daughters to enter. Thumbs Down

she'd be pretty good at defending herself if some psycho ever attacked her i reckon.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:42pm

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:44pm

she'd be pretty good at defending herself if some psycho ever attacked her i reckon.

maybe a psycho attacked her today. Seriously, society is on the slide if people see something to admire in this.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:47pm
pretty common for parents to send their kids to martial art lessons..
natural extension is combat sports, testing the skills you worked hard to develop.
in a controlled environment against someone else in the same situation.
if watching it isn't you cup of tea, fair enough..i don't watch synchrosied swimming
 - but i 've got no issue with other people practising it.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:48pm
Tellya something, totally un-PC I know, but some aboriginal women can fight like threshing machines, they'd knock those biatches into next week !

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:54pm
swanks made a good point ealrier too..

boxing may not look as gruesome as the ufc fights where blood is splattered
around - but repeated punching to the head in boxing is more likely to have long term
effects than the blood nose/concussion or whatever short term injuries that are more likely
without the big gloves...yes there are risks in both, but there are risks in any sport.
you could fall off your chair playing chess + knock your head on the table.Smile

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 7:00pm
Sink the boot in  ? Hit them when they're down ? These expressions have entered the language as symbolic of unfair play, and excessive force, but they are the stock-in-trade of this "sport", which will inevitably re-inforce it as normal, acceptable behaviour in the wider world of impressionable youth.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 7:04pm
Disgusting

Posted By: oneonesit
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 7:11pm
She was gonzo even before the kick. In the previous fight she won on her feet & I think she thought she was invincible....her strength is on the ground with her judo background. ! I think the Aussie girl will bowl her again in a rematch if she does not get her to the ground !

-------------
Refer ALP Election Promises

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 7:13pm

Disgusting
You've already said that....sod off out of the thread !

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 7:16pm
Very strange tactics to use against the best boxer in UFC.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 7:17pm

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 7:18pm
The thing with UFC is its horses for courses....usually find they have a core skill type....boxing, wrestling, judo, martial arts ect.....& depending on the match up different skill sets dominate .

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 7:20pm
i'm pretty sure holm is a yank 1:1.

--
+ yes that was the selling point early on, howw would a judo expert go v a boxer
or a wrestler v a karate expert etc..+ that's still a big part of the interest..
seeing how different styles match up.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 7:24pm
There you go Eccair....I though she was a local girl.....wish she was. She had muscles on her muscles

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 7:32pm
How about a chimp Vs a world champ cage fighter of the same weight? Wow, that didn't last long,........call the undertaker.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 7:44pm
Just watched it again....she knew she was in trouble half way through the first round....almost out on her feet walking to the stool . Also seemed out of breath early on

-------------

Posted By: JudgeHolden
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 8:04pm

Very strange tactics to use against the best boxer in UFC.

Now there's an oxymoron.

Posted By: slowdown
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 8:07pm
Holly Holm (born October 17, 1981) is an American https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_martial_arts" rel="nofollow - mixed martial artist who competes in the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Fighting_Championship" rel="nofollow - Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) bantamweight division. Holm is also a former professional https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing" rel="nofollow - boxer and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kickboxing" rel="nofollow - kickboxer . During her boxing career, she defended her titles 18 times in three weight classes. She is the current https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bantamweight_%28MMA%29" rel="nofollow - UFC Women's Bantamweight Champion after defeating defending champion https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronda_Rousey" rel="nofollow - Ronda Rousey with a knock out 59 seconds into the 2nd round.

-------------
Rebel - racing. Lionel - in work. Glory - spelling. Ray - spelling. A Wee Nip - in work.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 8:23pm
this seems more brutal, fighrt would have been stooped much earlier in UFC

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/11/14/9531617/last-woman-to-beat-holly-holm-picks-ronda-rousey-to-win-at-ufc-193" rel="nofollow - http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/11/14/9531617/last-woman-to-beat-holly-holm-picks-ronda-rousey-to-win-at-ufc-193

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 8:32pm

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Disgusting

Very interesting you like to promote yourself as some domestic violence expert and here you are loving UFC in all its bloody violence........ yep, its all 100 percent alcohol to blame.........nothing at all to do with power, control, desensitization to extremely violent behaviour.....

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 8:46pm
Michelle Payne was there watching, probably a "celebrity" invitee.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 9:08pm
a connection between domestic violence and combat sports?
could see it either way i suppose. normalizes it?
or gives people with an interest an outlet to do what they want to
v someone else who wants to do the same thing..in a controlled environment.
but personally i'm leaning to the latter..
i think people who have violent tendencies don't need inspiration form seeing it on tv.
it's part of their personality already, like alcohol doesn't make people violent,
just makes them less concerned about the consequences, when they are under the influence.

as a kid - friends + i would practise wrestling moves on eachother bodyslams..
sleeper holds - when hulk hogan + andre the giant + co were all the vogue.
i'm pretty sure at that point i hadn't clicked it was fake...was a kid, but still not silly
enough to actually hurt eachother. + it didn't make me want to bodyslam kids in the st.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 9:09pm
i like that boxing emoticon max..Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 9:18pm
If you call ISIS a sport then this is sport

-------------
So Col Tidy.     What is the best horse you have ever seen race in Australia?      "Vain". What a good judge.
So Ken Callander. Best sprinter you have ever seen in Australia?  "Vain by a long

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 9:20pm
thats a sensible statement Ermm

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 9:23pm

Disgusting

Very interesting you like to promote yourself as some domestic violence expert and here you are loving UFC in all its bloody violence........ yep, its all 100 percent alcohol to blame.........nothing at all to do with power, control, desensitization to extremely violent behaviour.....
What is it with you....weirdo....if you want to bang on about DV go to the thread headed DV.....if you want to talk about UFC & how it is one of the worlds fastest growing sports please comment here. We already know you think it's disgusting....pls move on now !

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 9:25pm
If you don't want to discuss the link, just say so. Will make it much easier to understand your moral compass for future reference.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 9:29pm

a connection between domestic violence and combat sports?
could see it either way i suppose. normalizes it?
or gives people with an interest an outlet to do what they want to
v someone else who wants to do the same thing..in a controlled environment.
but personally i'm leaning to the latter..
i think people who have violent tendencies don't need inspiration form seeing it on tv.
it's part of their personality already, like alcohol doesn't make people violent,
just makes them less concerned about the consequences, when they are under the influence.

as a kid - friends + i would practise wrestling moves on eachother bodyslams..
sleeper holds - when hulk hogan + andre the giant + co were all the vogue.
i'm pretty sure at that point i hadn't clicked it was fake...was a kid, but still not silly
enough to actually hurt eachother. + it didn't make me want to bodyslam kids in the st.

You are an intelligent person EI, you are not the norm.
I do like your  point about peoples predisposition to violence and alcohol reference. It's all I have ever been saying with Oneone, but I get shouted down. Hopefully, with someone he respects, like yourself, he will understand my point more.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 9:30pm
It will be interesting to see how Rousey reacts to this loss Will probably just make her next match an even bigger pay day !

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 9:35pm
Rousey just ran third at Strathbyn Greys race 11....bad day all round for her !

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 9:51pm

Rousey just ran third at Strathbyn Greys race 11....bad day all round for her !

How did they get her in the box?

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 10:16am
Holly Holm is a mean son of a gun. When Rousey was unconscious she was celebrating, hugging, jumping up and down, showed no concern for Rousey's well being.

Most others and boxers normally do not act in this selfish and self obsessed mannner, not nice

Posted By: Passing Through
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 10:29am
Probably caught up in the moment Whale. The clip I saw which went on further, when she realised Rhonda was not well she came around to the other side of her away from those attending and crouched down for about 30 sec watching her lying there

Posted By: Nocturnal
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 10:42am

Michelle Payne was there watching, probably a "celebrity" invitee.

She was with Rousey camp .. She can get the shortys beaten   

-------------
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....

Posted By: Gay3
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 10:51am
Yes, she & Nikita were all over FB for a few days with pics of them all together Smile

-------------
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!

Posted By: acacia alba
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 11:44am
Not quite sure what would inspire an attractive, healthy young woman to channel her energies into knocking the s##t out of other young women, or have the s##t knocked out of her ?
Mind you, I didnt mind a bit of a biffo when i was her age.  Even got thrown in the cells once , for decking another sheila twice my size .Embarrassed
I guess I was just too stupid to realise I could make money doing it Sick

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 11:50am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Not quite sure what would inspire an attractive, healthy young woman to channel her energies into knocking the s##t out of other young women, or have the s##t knocked out of her ?
Mind you, I didnt mind a bit of a biffo when i was her age.  Even got thrown in the cells once , for decking another sheila twice my size .Embarrassed

It's a helluva lot safer than riding a horse.

Posted By: acacia alba
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 11:55am

Ya reckon ?  Wink

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 1:37pm

You might be onto something tlaz. Haven't recalled any deaths in the ufc, but there's been alot in racing. Although going home with a every day surely would take it out of ya. My mates almost consistently got a black eye. And thats just from training.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 1:46pm
We live in an odd society, where "one punch can kill", but also can get you a very nice, entirely legal earn.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 1:52pm

We live in an odd society, where "one punch can kill", but also can get you a very nice, entirely legal earn.

Taken that 1 punch can kill out of context max. We're talking about trained profesionals who dont have gutters in the ring to smack their head on. They're not paired up against someone half they're size. They have different weight classes to stop that. They're not drunk so the bloods been thinned out so more damage can be done

Danny green done that add and didn't stop boxing. Because its to the drunks out on the streets looking for the fights.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by swanks swanks wrote:

Taken that 1 punch can kill out of context max. We're talking about trained profesionals who dont have gutters in the ring to smack their head on. They're not paired up against someone half they're size. They have different weight classes to stop that. They're not drunk so the bloods been thinned out so more damage can be done

Danny green done that add and didn't stop boxing. Because its to the drunks out on the streets looking for the fights.
I anticipated a reply like that. The problem is some people, not over-endowed with brains, are more suggestible, and will ape what they see. It appears to them, to validate it as acceptable. I see a major conflict between campaigns to lessen the consequences of street violence, and UFC style organized mayhem.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 2:13pm

Originally posted by swanks swanks wrote:

I anticipated a reply like that. The problem is some people, not over-endowed with brains, are more suggestible, and will ape what they see. It appears to them, to validate it as acceptable. I see a major conflict between campaigns to lessen the consequences of street violence, and UFC style organized mayhem.

Most of that street violence can come back onto the type of house the person was raised in, school they went to. The discipline they recieved when growing up. And yes i do see it the apes following the flock. Recently someone we know got bashed by a group of teenagers with golf clubs out the front of 1 of the teens house. And all he wanted to do was confront the parents abbout the rude txts that the kid was sending to his daughter. The kid sending the txt met him at the door while his mates jumped from behind the bush and done the number. The parents inside watching and not doin crap. Needless to say those teenagers tasted they're first blood and will prob want to do it again because they never got disciplined. Got away scot free. The cops haven't done nothing because they're underage.

But thats because the parents didn't discipline the kids. Thr best thing parents can do is put their kids into martial arts from a young age for self defence, and for the discipline you learn.

Dont know if thats for you max. Sorta went off on a bit of a rant

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 2:26pm
The older you get, the more you realise there is no such thing as social progress, it can unravel pretty quickly. There are far more "feral" types around today than at any time in my lifetime.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 2:27pm
In boxing, you get punched and knocked down, then you cant keep hitting the opponent. In UFC, you keep going, and you keep hitting them when they are on the ground. That is the difference between the 2 and a disgraceful one.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 2:31pm

In boxing, you get punched and knocked down, then you cant keep hitting the opponent. In UFC, you keep going, and you keep hitting them when they are on the ground. That is the difference between the 2 and a disgraceful one.
Where are all those "one punch can kill" people, fronting that campaign ? The silence is deafening.

Posted By: jujuno
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 2:47pm

without doubt...it is a disgraceful "sport"....in reality it is street assault, ad nauseam...I just shake my head in disbelief hat this is allowed on TV where kids can see people kicking others in the head, after they are on the ground...

no wonder we have a violent society..

AngryAngryAngryAngryAngry

-------------
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 3:04pm
you aren't allowed to kick someone in the head when they are grounded..

the following from here
http://www.ufc.com/discover/sport/rules-and-regulations

1. The following acts constitute fouls in a contest or exhibition of mixed martial arts and may result in penalties, at the discretion of thereferee, if committed:
    1. Butting with the head
    2. Eye gouging of any kind
    3. Biting
    4. Spitting at an opponent
    5. Hair pulling
    6. Fish hooking
    7. Groin attacks of any kind
    8. Putting a finger into any orifice or any cut or laceration of an opponent
    9. Small joint manipulation
    10. Striking downward using the point of the elbow
    11. Striking to the spine or the back of the head
    12. Kicking to the kidney with a heel
    13. Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea
    14. Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh
    15. Grabbing the clavicle
    16. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent
    17. Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent
    18. Stomping a grounded opponent
    19. Holding the fence
    20. Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent
    21. Using abusive language in fenced ring/fighting area
    22. Engaging in any unsportsmanlike conduct that causes injury to an opponent
    23. Attacking an opponent on or during the break
    24. Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee
    25. Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of the round
    26. Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury
    27. Throwing opponent out of ring/fighting area
    28. Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee
    29. Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck
    30. Interference by the corner
    31. Applying any foreign substance to the hair or body to gain an advantage

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 3:10pm

Why kick when you can elbow them eh....

Posted By: jujuno
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 3:10pm
  1. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent

they showed that footage over and over on the news last night...

there aren't any rules...it's just street violence...

-------------
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 3:18pm
the person on the ground is allowed to protect themselves too..
+ if they are unable the ref stops the fight.

which footage jujuno, i haven't seen any of the fight..?
maybe the person on the ground was trying to get up..
i think if you have a foot planted on the ground that's considered not grounded..
if that makes sense.

Posted By: ExceedAndExcel
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 3:30pm
There used to be virtually no rules at all. No biting or eye gouging was pretty much it. Groin strikes were allowed.

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 6:01pm

the person on the ground is allowed to protect themselves too..
+ if they are unable the ref stops the fight.

which footage jujuno, i haven't seen any of the fight..?
maybe the person on the ground was trying to get up..
i think if you have a foot planted on the ground that's considered not grounded..
if that makes sense.

Used to be if you had 2 feet planted on the ground. But im pretty sure it was tito ortez that was crouching and copped a mean knee to the face. So might have change not completely sure.

Bloody hell when it first started there was no rules and I'm pretty sure no rounds. There's a film clip out where 1 bloke comes out with 1 boxing glove on and his other hand bare fist

The whole hit them on the ground probably isnt as bad as wearing boxing gloves and punching someone till they're brain damaged. A clean knockout is healthier than those boxing gloves hitting ya to the point of knockout. Brutal sport yes, but controlled sport completely.

On another note, anyone heard if anderson silva is coming back?? Was my fav then that incident with his leg

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 6:07pm

The other reason on ground fighting is allowed. Its called MIXED MARTIAL ARTS. You cant have something called mma and not allow BJJ and wrestlers use the ground cause you may get punched. Its part and parcel of the sport, and without ground and pound we wouldn't of seen royce gracie in the ring, and he probably wouldn't of went on and made succesful mma gyms that focus on the fighting on the ground.

Love or hate the sport its here to stay i think. And to stop these monkey see monkey do people in society i will be puttibg my kids into martial arts for the self defence and the discipline. Then maybe 1 day if they want, they will make nearly $100,000 a fight

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 6:23pm
A standing 8 count is just as bad as anything in MMA.

For instance this fight went on much longer that would be allowed in UFC   IMO, doesn't get amymore brutal than this boxing match

http://www.whatsmyip.org/" rel="nofollow - http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/11/14/9531617/last-woman-to-beat-holly-holm-picks-rond" rel="nofollow - http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/11/14/9531617/last-woman-to-beat-holly-holm-picks-rond

http://www.whatsmyip.org/" rel="nofollow -

http://www.whatsmyip.org/" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 8:17pm
I would suggest the fist to head contact in a 12 round boxing match would be much greater than a MMA contest . A lot of ground combat is more wrestling / grappling....so agree it is no more "brutal" that boxing as a sport. There will usually be more blood though which can cloud the real physical brain damage being done

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 8:55am
There are certainly risks involved in combat sports. While victor Holly Holm celebrated and gave interviews, Rousey was in hospital with a split lip and concussion. Even the winners, like meticulous Polish striker Joanna Jedrzejczyk​, can look set-upon afterwards. But according to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, the martial arts have a much lower injury rate than all codes of football, horse riding, and basketball. Some of the most dangerous pursuits, by severity and hospital stay, are sports like cycling, skateboarding, roller-skating and quad-biking.

Professional combatants face the additional threat of repeated brain trauma, leading to so-called dementia pugilistica. A John Hopkins study suggested that this risk is lower in MMA because fighters can win with grappling rather than strikes. A more recent study, published in British Journal of Sports Medicine, cautiously confirmed this conclusion, studying over two hundred professional fighters. Nonetheless, the risk is real.

However, this danger does not make MMA intrinsically unethical. It is something to be recognised and possibly minimised. But, as in football, car racing and equestrian events, it remains a risk that trained adults can freely consent to. The selective criticism of combat sports seems misguided.

Damon Young, SMH.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/ufc-193-why-cage-fighting-is-cruel-and-objectionable-but-still-alluring-20151116-gkzzj3.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.smh.com.au/comment/ufc-193-why-cage-fighting-is-cruel-and-objectionable-but-still-alluring-20151116-gkzzj3.html

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 8:57am
that link didn't work for me whale...just saying.

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 9:42am

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/more-sports/ronda-rousey-breaks-silence-reacts-to-holly-holm-knockout-loss-at-ufc-193-ill-be-back/ar-BBn2MF0?li=AAabC8j&ocid=mailsignout" rel="nofollow - http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/more-sports/ronda-rousey-breaks-silence-reacts-to-holly-holm-knockout-loss-at-ufc-193-ill-be-back/ar-BBn2MF0?li=AAabC8j&ocid=mailsignout

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 9:51am
When people say it's here to stay, I disagree. If violence continues domestically and on weekends, the noises will get bigger to ban this sport. Some state governments will most definitely ban the sport in the future imo.

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 9:43pm
Unlikely....NSW TAB were only given the go ahead a few weeks ago to bet on UFC...so much for the DV campaign !

-------------

Posted By: mowie
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 7:00pm

how can they ban ufc?  we see the aussie cricket team sponsored by VB,and drinking kills more people then anything...sport has taken off an I love it always have, atm it's to much about PR but so be it...

not stunned oneonesit doesn't like this he is old school an crys when he runs over a ant LOL

-------------
chris Armstrong waller, *drugs are bad mkay

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net