Forum Description: General discussion about thoroughbred horse racing
URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=55085
Printed Date: 24 Apr 2024 at 8:41am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ben & JD Hayes [was + Dabernig]
Posted By: whitt0
Subject: Ben & JD Hayes [was + Dabernig]
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 5:38pm
What is happening here.....Surprised how poor considering the quality they get.

Worst results in 5 years. ROI -43%

Their facebook updates are all about syndicating than giving updates.  

Too distracted with Criterion?

Yearly Breakdown
Last 5 years
Starts1st2nd3rdWinPlaceAvg Win OddsROI
2011231728627023512%34%$6.47-20%
2012139714315915110%32%$6.32-35%
2013109411113111410%33%$6.85-30%
2014118115014313713%36%$6.09-23%
201576082968411%34%$5.25-43%

Replies:
Posted By: Gay3
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 5:43pm
Michael W said this wk what a promising bunch they have coming thru'.....remains to be seen.

-------------
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!

Posted By: djebel
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 5:45pm
How much prize money have they won during those 5 seasons ?

I have always been amazed that Sheikh Hamdan Al Maktoum has never had any other trainer in Australia.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 5:45pm
Average training fees between $5-6k per month at Euroa.

Posted By: Bi Carb
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 8:02pm
Should have kept the mysterious package.

Posted By: Shawy38
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 8:22pm
And to think some where saying in January they were a chance to knock Weir off his perch.

Posted By: Daytripper
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 10:36am
I think we are seeing the impact of the bushfires that ripped through his property 6 months ago. 

After effects of that were always going to be felt 3-6 months down the track.

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 11:13am
Smoke inhalation/lung damage Daytripper?

-------------

Posted By: JadeLace
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Smoke inhalation/lung damage Daytripper?

Not to mention the stress to any of those horses.. as its there instinct to flee, imagine that all impacts
one way or another:

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 12:11pm
Great behind the video camera. They do impressive 20-30 seconds updates oncer per week...........

Posted By: Aurelius
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

About $200 per day.

That can't be correct (can it).

Or have I got the figures wrong.

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 1:47pm

How much does it cost to have a horse in training at Lindsay Park?
The average ongoing cost is around $4,000/month (for the whole horse) which covers training, spelling, veterinary fees, transport, farrier etc. The monthly cost can fluctuate greatly depending on whether or not the horse is racing, in training, spelling, nominating for feature races etc. Over a 12 month period a budget of around $4,000/month is a guide.

http://www.lindsaypark.com.au/ownersfaq

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 1:51pm
Owners are welcome to speak with David Hayes directly 0437 888 808

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 1:57pm
Imagine it would only get up to $5k+ when racing.  Same as a number of Sydney stables.

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Aurelius Aurelius wrote:

About $200 per day.  That can't be correct (can it).  Or have I got the figures wrong.

Actually much closer to 6k when vet, self-administered medications, transport, noms etc are added to the daily rate.  Which as someone else said is about the going rate in Sydney or with the upper level trainers around Melbourne.

Posted By: Gee Gee
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 4:21pm
I like the drones he uses filming from above while his horses are galopping

Date Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 4:23pm
They have taken the marketing of their training to new levels that is for sure.

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 9:39am

Calculated risk gets trainer David Hayes past investment post

• KIRSTY SIMPSON
  • http://www.theaustralian.com.au/" rel="nofollow - THE AUSTRALIAN
  • OCTOBER 10, 2015 12:00AM
  • http://www.theaustralian.com.au/help/print/" rel="nofollow - Print
  • http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/wealth/calculated-risk-gets-trainer-david-hayes-past-investment-post/story-e6frgac6-1227563761492#" rel="nofollow - Save for later
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/wealth/calculated-risk-gets-trainer-david-hayes-past-investment-post/story-e6frgac6-1227563761492#social-comments" rel="nofollow - 0
Melbourne Cup-winning trainer David Hayes. Picture: Wayne Ludbey.

Melbourne Cup-winning trainer David Hayes. ‘If you are buying property and can afford to hold on to it, it’s not a gamble’. Picture: Wayne Ludbey. Source: News Corp Australia

One of Australia’s most celebrated racehorse trainers, David Hayes has favourites running in the Cox Plate and Caulfield Cup this year. As an investor, he appreciates the merit of a calculated gamble; he’s prepared to endure the stresses of debt financing and he constantly invests time and money in his core business.

What was your first job?

Working for my father in the stables on the school holidays, I was about 12. I love it, and anyway Dad didn’t really about believe in holidays.

What did you learn about money growing up?

Not to spend more than you’ve got. I have (done that) generally.

You have trained horses for some ultra-wealthy people, and moved to Hong Kong for a decade not long after winning the Melbourne Cup in 1999. What did you learn about money from these people?

All of them at one stage have taken a big gamble in their lives to make their money — whether it was calculated or not. And if they are ultra-wealthy, they have either had a tonne of luck and an ounce of judgment or an ounce of luck and a tonne of judgment.

But the person I learned most from was my father. I’ve made most money doing what I do.

How do you invest outside your business?

These days I much prefer to ­invest in my core business rather than anywhere else.

I have invested in a lot of different things outside my core business, often with friends. But it’s only property that really paid off, and by training horses, and buying and selling horses.

But it’s taken me a while to learn this.

If you are buying property and can afford to hold on to it, it’s not a gamble. The properties I buy, I can afford. We have our freehold ­family home and a couple of other investment properties that give me a nice rental earning.

Did the fires that burnt around and on the fringes of Lindsay Park in Euroa last year make you worry about your ­investment?

Not really, you worry at the time, but we have the right amount of insurance, we were prepared.

It cost you $20 million to build Lindsay Park in Euroa, but you did it without yet having sold your Barossa Park property. You have said the banks were breathing down your neck? How hard was it?

I decided to sell the family property (in South Australia) to start up a mirror copy — a new Victorian version. But then the world crumbled a bit — I put the property on the market during the GFC, so instead of taking one year to sell it took four. 
So I was bridging, but I didn’t want to be a forced seller. Thankfully Mr Pan (Pan Sutong, chairman of Goldin Group) came and bought Lindsay Park and we were able to wipe the slate clean.

But it was always worth more than the banks said — I changed banks through it all, because I wasn’t happy with the deal I was getting, (my previous bank) didn’t want to wait. But NAB was fantastic and I’m still with them now.

It wasn’t the first time you have had significant debts. Many people wouldn’t be able to cope with the pressure. Tell me about your approach to debt and when you take it on and when you don’t?

(My first big debt was) when I was 26. It was a family debt — I had an agreement to buy my ­family out of the business — (I needed) $8m-9m. I really wanted to do it, but with interest rates and tax it was going to take a long time (to pay back the loan), so I moved to Hong Kong to earn it. I had had a record year here (Hayes had just won the Melbourne Cup with Jeune in 1994), but I decided to go to Hong Kong, even though many people here couldn’t understand it. But I had an opportunity, and by going, I was investing in my core business.

Do you have the same appetite for risk in other investments?

No, not at all. I had an appetite for it and invested with friends. While they are still are friends — I am not very good at investing outside my business.

What have been your best and worst investments?

Best investment — my home in Toorak, while going to Hong Kong was a great investment in myself.

My worst was Western Desert mining shares, which went broke (it collapsed in 2014 as the iron ore price plummeted). And I invested as a seed investor in a fuel cell ­battery — like all venture capital projects it sounded good at the time but the pitch was better than the result. It never got off the ground.

Would you do it any differently if you had the chance?

I would just stick to what I know, and stick to nice conservative property plays.

What are your expectations for the Spring Racing Carnival?

Fingers crossed I’ve got good chances with Criterion in the Cox Plate and Rising Romance in the Caulfield Cup.

-------------

Posted By: Fiddlesticks
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 9:43am
where's subby, Hayes is his fav trainer isn't he..??

-------------
Panspermia.

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 9:47am
Good on him. Wish them all the best.

They have been spending $500k+ on overseas horses over the last few years.  Cannot imagine how much they have dusted of their clients capital. BUT - he has a very good business model. These people just want the opportunity to race in the Cups & there are plenty willing to step up.  Also has the set up to make it work.

Posted By: Michelleyu
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 2:47pm
Geez there a few in here who need to eat some humble pie... all the knockers a few months back saying he was a gone burger...flyyyyyying...he is.FFFFFlying.Good on him very good trainer and good for the industry.

Posted By: subastral
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

He is going super now. Doesn't change the fact I was right that the stable stunk for 3 or 4 years.
Happy as to back his horses now. He's a good guy and he deserves success, as hes clean.

Posted By: Letskeepithonest
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 6:23pm
He had to learn from the new property, but some were quick to write him off as a mug... class is permanent and he is class.

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 6:33pm
And Dabernig's influence can't be understated.

Posted By: Rosscoe
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 6:39pm
Unbelievable turn around of late - appears to have a midas touch & could really see this momentum continuing over the Spring Carnival.

-------------
Current Stable - Soul Star & Adivinar + Lady Vega

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 6:43pm
Could win the CC saturday

Posted By: Nocturnal
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 7:24pm

seems to be a big measure in their success, coincidence perhaps but have gone from busted to travelling since the partnership .Something that DH is struggling with I hear

-------------
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Nocturnal Nocturnal wrote:

seems to be a big measure in their success, coincidence perhaps but have gone from busted to travelling since the partnership .Something that DH is struggling with I hear

So you can't pot him for not training winners so now you try to say there is tension in the partnership... get real, the guy has been with him for years.

Posted By: Nocturnal
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 6:12am
I am not saying there is tension at all , what I have heard is that DH is very defensive regards anyone suggesting that Tom is the reason the stable has turned around its fortunes .He has been around for years as he married into the family however has only been co training with David for a couple of years .

-------------
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 6:33am
Tom is excellent. Very steady hand

Posted By: Lordy
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 8:34am
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

He is going super now. Doesn't change the fact I was right that the stable stunk for 3 or 4 years.
Happy as to back his horses now. He's a good guy and he deserves success, as hes clean.
Could be a big reason he's enjoying more success now.  

Posted By: subastral
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 11:41am
Thought has crossed my mind many times Lordy.

Posted By: Fine
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 1:54pm
All power to them if that's the case.

Posted By: saintly96
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 2:42pm
The fact that many of those with plenty of winners in recent years are now under investigation; and those proven trainers who had a form slump are now back in business, is not lost on many.

Posted By: tillyras
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 7:42am
As of August 2, will be having Ben Hayes appear in the form guide as trainer, joining his dad David and Uncle Tom. Ben is in charge of the stables Adelaide operation

Posted By: Xavier
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 1:00pm
Tom is Bens cousin not uncle

Posted By: Sir Gov
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 5:17pm
Just in a rut, is it cyclical or is something not working? Prob feeling the pressure of having to run horses out of their grade?

6 winners from their last 100 runners (1 from 17 on Saturday).

They have the best facilities & top quality bred thoroughbreds.  Similar drop off in March/April (carnival time)

Posted By: max manewer
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 5:21pm
Strike rates mean nothing without the odds.

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Strike rates mean nothing without the odds.

-60% ROI

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 7:42pm
last 100 runners ? What was the average odds ?

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 7:54pm
Clearly under the odds

Date Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 8:00pm
I'd say you are right, unless there are a lot of roughies. June through August looked pretty poor, over a sample of about 400 runners, but not as bad as -60%. More like -25%.

Posted By: Muss
Date Posted: 13 May 2018 at 10:20pm
Taking one only to Albury tomorrow & the only other thing in the float is Cory Parish for one ride. I'm smelling a kill.

-------------
Keyboard Warrior

Posted By: MJB
Date Posted: 13 May 2018 at 10:36pm
Interesting.

I can't say it's form fills me with any confidence. No gear changes either. Wide gate to contend with.

Only positive l can think of is it's probably a weaker race than what it's been contesting.

Might be looking for a wet track which it won't be getting tomorrow.

$6.50 fixed doesn't look overly appealing. But l'll be watching on with interest.

Just noticed that R Bensley the crook is riding the favourite. A first starter from the Widdup yard. Is Bensley going to try tomorrow? Because he wasn't interested in competing today - watch the last race from Parkes.

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 4:25pm
Ran a good race Muss. Looked all over the winner with 200 to go. Just peaked late.

I think they've found the key to the horse - ridden off the speed.

Posted By: Muss
Date Posted: 15 May 2018 at 10:41am
Yeah mate. Just peaked. Went each way so got some fish & chip money Thumbs Up

-------------
Keyboard Warrior

Date Posted: 15 May 2018 at 10:17pm
Hope they find another race up there. I'll be keen to back it next time.

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 4:44pm
Crikey!!!! How torrid a Spring Carnival is this stable experiencing Ouch
I've little doubt this'll give them the much needed kick along Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 5:07pm
0 from 30+ runners this week at Flemington......#darts

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 5:14pm
And at @$150/day plus GST and 15% of prizemoney. 

Posted By: SkyDancer
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 5:22pm
Checking the form for Saturday now, when it rains it pours

Posted By: rusty nails
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Sir Gov Sir Gov wrote:

0 from 30+ runners this week at Flemington......#darts

Unfortunately, it seems that they are throwing magnetic darts at a cork dartboard.

Posted By: VOYAGER
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 11:01pm
To be honest they have not had a whole lot of ammunition.

Jaameh is a handy horse but he is not a group 1 stayer at this moment, maybe 12 months away.

They had no high class 3yo's. Good N Fast was about the best and they have seen he is only group 1 competitive at this point.

Fundamentalist has been unlucky. She has now had 3 starts at group 1 level for three great runs, but still no win.

GaiBott have obviously targeted the Melbourne carnival with their 2yo's to get the prizemoney up for the autumn, so even Hayes's 2yo's are not winning.

Both this stable and the Mick Price stable have had a poor finish to a spring which promised a lot.

-------------
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise

Posted By: Platinum
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 12:07am
Price and Hayes have smashed the last couple though. Can’t do that every time

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 5:51am
They have one of the best training facilities.

They get some of the best bred horses in the country.

Seriously overrrated!! 6 blacktype winners from 160 runners = 4%

***Update - 0 from 38 for Flemington carnival***

Posted By: Carioca
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 8:53am
Originally posted by Sir Gov Sir Gov wrote:

They have one of the best training facilities.

They get some of the best bred horses in the country.

Seriously overrrated!! 6 blacktype winners from 160 runners = 4%

***Update - 0 from 38 for Flemington carnival***

Yep, I'll go along with that , watched his babies walking around in the yard yesterday , most had blinkers even though their having their first start, the fastnet rock colt beaten a head by a filly wearing no head gear going as straight as an arrow and walking around like she was born there , why are these top trainers with all their staff and beautiful training facilities have to race their unrated babies in blinkers , it's BS imo.

Posted By: skippy123
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 3:26pm
Maybe their luck just changed this year somehow

Posted By: Prince of Penzance
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 10:16am
Not a good start to the day.
No.7 in the first withdrawn at the barriers by request of the vet and farrier.

Posted By: breeding_above_all
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Prince of Penzance Prince of Penzance wrote:

Not a good start to the day.
No.7 in the first withdrawn at the barriers by request of the vet and farrier.

And sebrecate the favourite in race 1 at Rosehill lost

Posted By: Batman
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 10:53am
Cannot understand the attraction in sending horses to sausage factories. Maybe owners are too carried away by the media machines, or too lazy to find good smaller trainers. The big 6 are just relying on numbers and long lunches to part the owner from their money. Give me a hands on operator any day.

-------------
“Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.”

Posted By: Enabled
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 11:54am
Pelican that won in the first SA looks top class.

Date Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Enabled Enabled wrote:

So not a ‘nobody horse’ then?

Date Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 12:03pm
I was just about to post the same Sky .

-------------
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise

Posted By: Enabled
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by SkyDancer SkyDancer wrote:

Originally posted by Enabled Enabled wrote:

So not a ‘nobody horse’ then?

First run. Deep deep win to reel in the leader from where it was.

Fastnet Rock out of Sea Change.

Follow.

Date Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 12:56pm
Finally gets a win, Jaameh is a good horse.

Posted By: mowie
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 1:20pm
it's hard being a  clean stable when waller an co hit town great to see they had a winner today Thumbs Up 2019 cup winner

-------------
chris Armstrong waller, *drugs are bad mkay

Date Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by mowie mowie wrote:

it's hard being a  clean stable when waller an co hit town great to see they had a winner today Thumbs Up 2019 cup winner

Waller is as clean as they come

Posted By: mowie
Date Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 1:33pm

hahahaha! LOLLOLLOLLOL  rightttt an I married my wife over miss Sweden as she was a better cook Sleepy

-------------
chris Armstrong waller, *drugs are bad mkay

Date Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 1:35pm

hahahaha! LOLLOLLOLLOL  rightttt an I married my wife over miss Sweden as she was a better cook Sleepy

Posted By: Magnolian Khan
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 4:41pm
Seaburge is up for sale online.
Hasn’t won for a while

https://inglisdigital.com/lot/30000030.48.htm" rel="nofollow - https://inglisdigital.com/lot/30000030.48.htm

Posted By: Bonjour
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 8:23pm

How dare you insult a stable that re-employed a bloke that ripped off the stable's owners, how dare you? You must a respect a man that gives second chances, .........

Posted By: Discohips23
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 4:46am

Posted By: RED HUNTER
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 11:33am
Will Hayes,son of David.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/will-hayes-finally-gets-chance-to-saddle-up-for-western-bulldogs/news-story/aafd445a461cb94aa6fa761db0eb5b16" rel="nofollow - https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/will-hayes-finally-gets-chance-to-saddle-up-for-western-bulldogs/news-story/aafd445a461cb94aa6fa761db0eb5b16

Posted By: RED HUNTER
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 11:36am
That link blocks...just search Will Hayes WESTERN BULLDOGS...interesting story.

Posted By: JAY AYE
Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 1:07pm
Yes while the stable has been out of form for some time they have bounced back in last few days, Furrion won the Cup on Thursday and Flemington Saturday a double, two seconds and two thirds, and one of the seconds was a great run by Sin to Win, I believe the disappointment for the stable must be this current crop of two year olds

Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Magnolian Khan Magnolian Khan wrote:

Seaburge is up for sale online.
Hasn’t won for a while

https://inglisdigital.com/lot/30000030.48.htm" rel="nofollow - https://inglisdigital.com/lot/30000030.48.htm
 And correct me if I am wrong, David Hayes has bought him for $110,000

Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 1:46pm
That’s correct. Seaburge sold , the previous owners have been paid out.
David was already managing owner.

So now he will either keep the lot himself or most likely put another stable client in the horse.

Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 1:47pm
But if I was buying horse $100k. seaburge wouldn’t be in my top 50

Going to take a long while to get a profit

Date Posted: 05 May 2019 at 11:23pm

But if I was buying horse $100k. seaburge wouldn’t be in my top 50

Going to take a long while to get a profit

Would not be surprised to see a from lift for this horse next prep

-------------

Posted By: Red Hare
Date Posted: 06 May 2019 at 10:53am
Saturday metro races are still worth $130k at this time of year. Perhaps not at the same rate as Boom Time, but it won't take that long to get a return. 

Posted By: Xavier
Date Posted: 06 May 2019 at 10:55am
$110k for a horse that hasn’t won in 3 years

-------------
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes

Date Posted: 06 May 2019 at 1:34pm
Still then again Highland Beat has done nothing for ages until Saturday and it ran second, much improved, perhaps they have seen something that has encouraged them to part with $110 K does seem pretty steep however to read the early form and providing they can get him back to that could be a cheap buy

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 3:03pm
https://postimages.org/" rel="nofollow">

-------------

Posted By: crooked_gambler
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 3:08pm
Heard the same rumour about Waller last year

Can’t see it happening

-------------
This space has been intentionally left blank

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 3:10pm
Geez that's funny, a bloke in the pub told me his brother has a mate who's cousin knows someone who carts the manure away at a leading SYD stable and his drum was Waller was going up to Honkers to train. They limit number up there, I think 65 or 70 horses max, now wouldn't that throw up a conundrum?

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 11:24am

Hayes linked to Hong Kong move

Andrew Eddy 9.15

David Hayes will rejoin the Hong Kong training ranks from next season, according to a series of media reports.

It is expected that confirmation of his return to Hong Kong next season will be made official later on Tuesday.

The principal of the prized Euroa training facility Lindsay Park, Hayes trained in Hong Kong from 1996 to 2005 where he was twice champion trainer.

It is expected the Lindsay Park operation will continue as normal under the guidance of Hayes’ son Ben and his nephew Tom Dabernig, who currently train in partnership with him.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 1:18pm
Looks like it’s happening.... crazy decision.

Australian Hall Of Fame trainer David Hayes has confirmed he will again be taking up a licence to train in Hong Kong from next season.

Hayes announced on Tuesday that he is to be granted a licence from next September by the Hong Kong Jockey Club but that it would be 'business as usual' with his Lindsay Park operation at Euroa with his co-trainers, his son Ben and nephew Tom Dabernig, to share the training responsibilities.

"Using my late father's motto, 'the future belongs to those who plan for it'," Hayes said.

"I'm really excited to announce that I'm taking up a trainers' licence in 12 months' time in the booming racing economy of Hong Kong."

Hayes, 56, won 17 Group 1s, two premierships and 458 races overall in his initial nine-year stint in Hong Kong from 1996 to his return to Australia in 2005.

He said he had taken some time to weigh up the opportunity but had full faith in his team at Lindsay Park to continue the great success built up over the past few seasons at Euroa.

"I haven't taken this decision lightly, and over the last 15 years we've been developing Lindsay Park Euroa into a world-class training centre," he said.

"Lindsay Park is my lifetime's work and I can assure all my clients that it will be business as usual.

"I have full confidence in my team. Tom Dabernig, who has been working at Lindsay Park all his working life and Ben Hayes, who has worked the last 10 years under me, will continue to run the training operation

"I'm really excited about watching the boys flourish. I'm sure they will do well and I'm only going to be a phone call away."

Hayes became the youngest-ever inductee into Australian racing's Hall Of Fame in 2008 and overall has trained more than 4000 winners with some 93 at Group 1 level.

-------------

Posted By: Red Hare
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by crooked_gambler crooked_gambler wrote:

Looks like it’s happening.... crazy decision.
What's so crazy about it? He's still the Principal at Lindsay Park.

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 4:21pm
Agree.

His succession plan's been initiated, he can now enjoy life rather more in Honkers than operate as the guy predominantly responsible for 200-odd at any one time in Vic.

And he may even have time to search for the $millions-odd that Michael Bastion ripped off him off 20 years ago in the Colony.  

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 5:06pm
Crazy to be moving to HK given the current political climate

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 5:16pm
If one understands the Asian psyche it's highly likely that betting turnover and racing per se will increase in the face of, and well beyond, the current unrest.

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 5:30pm
Still Hayes, Hayes, Dabernig? or Hayes & Dabernig?

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 5:42pm
Disco hips if you read the above articles it clearly says David is leaving the partnership

Tom and Ben will be training. He will just own the business

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 5:43pm
I very much doubt HK allow their trainers to operate in 2 countries.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by crooked_gambler crooked_gambler wrote:

Disco hips if you read the above articles it clearly says David is leaving the partnership

Tom and Ben will be training. He will just own the business

So so sorry. I beg your apologies.

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 7:24pm
All is forgiven

-------------

Posted By: djebel
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 8:04pm
There is a conflict of interest here.

This idea of him buying and selling horses between Lindsay Park and Hong Kong is very interesting.

Was there any controversy 20 years ago ?

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 6:08pm
9 runners so far today for a 2nd at Ballarat.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

9 runners so far today for a 2nd at Ballarat.

Somethings crook in Tallarook!

Posted By: Carioca
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 8:48pm
No work in Bourke either.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net