Forum Description: Thoughts about anything and everything
URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=44239
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 5:32pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: How I lost faith in religion
Posted By: RED HUNTER
Subject: How I lost faith in religion
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 11:48am
I was born an Anglican and as you all know it is a rather lazy religion.

As a child I always respected the CATHOLICS. They seemed so holy and if I married a Catholic I would have happily converted.

I can't believe the blind faith still shown today.

Catholics can't use condoms,have sexual feelings for extended others yet those that preach are so unreliably trusted now.

Do the priests use condoms when they prey on the little?

The Catholics today and other religions have become a base for easy income and sexual deviants.

MONEY AND SEX AND POWER

I keep wondering if GOD truly existed would he allow leaders within a CHURCH abuse children.

.................and that it why I've lost my faith.

I will plod along as best as I can and avoid the potential paedophiles.

I don't hold religious leaders in high regard. 

As dirty a name as telling somebody you did make a living out of gambling.

Last night on ABC they stated the Royal Commission will have cases for Catholic Leader indiscretions six times more than all the the other religions put together.

Replies:
Posted By: jayzaa
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 12:08pm
I lost it when the priest backhanded me for throwing the basketball the wrong way.  Called me stupid, which is probably true, but I had never played the game before.  

-------------
www.keffelstein.com

gotta live the dream

Posted By: BROOKE
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 12:18pm
Red Hunter, its okay to lose faith in a Pope, or a Priest. They are merely men, dressed up in a uniform.
But dont lose faith in Jesus. Son of God.
And dont lose faith in God. He is almighty.
Keep your faith in God and the power of prayer.

Posted By: djebel
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by BROOKE BROOKE wrote:

I am agnostic.

The fact or idea that she sits back and does nothing while evil prospers, if she does exist she can stick it where the sun does not shine in mere mortals.

Tell her to get of her ass and clean the place up.

She needs to prove herself.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: BROOKE
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 7:35pm
Part of our greatest test, is to forgive evil and let love conquer.

"our enemies are throwing sticks, we shall throw back bread"

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 7:46pm

And the right wing religious fanatics are the first to condemn asylum seekers.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: PeterG
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by jayzaa jayzaa wrote:

I lost it when the priest backhanded me for throwing the basketball the wrong way.  Called me stupid, which is probably true, but I had never played the game before.  
People like him jayzaa you couldn't even call merely men.

Posted By: Browndog
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 8:04pm

Posted By: oneonesit
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 8:44pm

So you practice this yourself Brooke........just interested ?

-------------
Refer ALP Election Promises

Posted By: acacia alba
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 9:09pm
love conquers all.Hug
just ask the hippies of my generation .Thumbs Up
love man !Big smile
didnt you practice free love then, oneonesit ????LOL
who needs priests if we do the right thing by all our fellow men and women ?

-------------
animals before people.

Posted By: mowie
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 10:18pm
god has been showed up not to be real, they can trace our dna millions of years ago, more people belive in karma an weight loss products then god, so come to the dark side red its a great place,like eatting meat on good friday,swearing nonstop,

or you could join AA an oneonesit god a tree Ying Yang

-------------
chris Armstrong waller, *drugs are bad mkay

Posted By: ElmuhWabbit
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 10:36pm
I have never lost faith in religion, I never had any. There is not one creditable piece of scientific evidence to support the theory of a God like being. That is correct, it is nought but a theory.

I on the other hand am real, who do you think provides all those choccy eggs once a year?Big smile

One day not so long ago I was building a new Warren for my thousands of kiddies when a bible basher fronted up, as they do. He starts right out with "Jesus was a carpenter", to which I swiftly replied "well he must have been a bloody union rep because he has not shown up on the job for over 2,000 years". Mr Basher left without another word.

-------------
Due to increased costs in egg making easter is cancelled.

Posted By: Repent
Date Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 11:15pm
credible*

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 12:25am

Religion has done love a great service by making it a sin.

— Anatole France

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 1:35am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

love conquers all.Hug
just ask the hippies of my generation .Thumbs Up
love man !Big smile
didnt you practice free love then, oneonesit ????LOL
who needs priests if we do the right thing by all our fellow men and women ?
All for free love Acacia..........sure beats the hell out of paying for it ! I remember the old rock concert love ins..........Narrara was a beauty.....3 days i think......esp the mud wholes after the torrential rain........Billy Thorpe was there + many  , many more great old Aussie bands.........getting the grog into the joint in my Kombi was a task......security got the lot......then the sharks were circling selling the stuff in there for a fortune............nothing really changes !

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 2:20am
oneone...I recommend this movie,it's a smash.

24 Hour Party People( http://www.imdb.com/year/2002/?ref_=tt_ov_inf" rel="nofollow - 2002 )

-   http://www.imdb.com/genre/Biography?ref_=tt_ov_inf" rel="nofollow - |  http://www.imdb.com/genre/Comedy?ref_=tt_ov_inf" rel="nofollow - |  http://www.imdb.com/genre/Drama?ref_=tt_ov_inf" rel="nofollow - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0274309/releaseinfo?ref_=tt_ov_inf" rel="nofollow - 20 March 2003 (Australia)

In 1976, Tony Wilson sets up Factory Records and brings Manchester's music to the world.

Posted By: max manewer
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 4:46pm
He who truly seeks, shall find. True religion is not a dabble for dilettantes. It is a secret that simply cannot be revealed by any device, other than that of genuine, unselfish love. As the man said, "he that exaltheth himself shall be abased, but he who abaseth himself, shall be exalted" By intellect, never. As the great German mystic Meister Eckhart taught......" Do not imagine that your reason can grow to knowledge of God " The mere fact of existence is proof of God, as for "scientific proof", science has nothing at all to offer about this matter.........unless you count that poor wretch Hawking, who posits that the all consists of exact equal amounts of "positive" and "negative" energy, which cancel one another out, therefore "existence", er, doesn't exist ! In which case, I don't know why he bothers !

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

I am agnostic.

The fact or idea that she sits back and does nothing while evil prospers, if she does exist she can stick it where the sun does not shine in mere mortals.

Sounds like you want to be God, deeming what needs to be "cleaned up". It could just be this life is your chance to audition for the God role, with unfettered free will. If your will was limited, you'd be whining that God won't let you clean up the injustices of the world !

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 5:56pm

Thanks for the recommendation RH.........will have a look........cheers !

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

I am agnostic.

Sounds like you want to be God, deeming what needs to be "cleaned up". It could just be this life is your chance to audition for the God role, with unfettered free will. If your will was limited, you'd be whining that God won't let you clean up the injustices of the world !

That could well be true.

What is Gods (if she exists) motivation for the suffering of children and animals that have NO choices ?

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 6:34pm

It is impossible to imagine a world in which there is no suffering of creatures, except if there is no life at all. Pain and suffering and fear evolved as an impetus or spur, to move away from threatening situations, in the interests of preserving life. If we never felt pain, physical or psychological, or experienced fear, we would not be alive for long.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 6:53pm
you talk crap

Posted By: HUSSLER
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 6:54pm
After the 50th beating (not around the ring) by the Christian Brothers I lost interest

Posted By: Repent
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 6:57pm
LOL

Posted By: Munga Rangi
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by HUSSLER HUSSLER wrote:

After the 50th beating (not around the ring) by the Christian Brothers I lost interest
I can fully understand why people are turned right off any sort of religious following.Especially in the Catholic Church.My father went to probably one of the most prestigious Catholic boys schools in Sydney. Of Irish Catholic stock, he had little say in it.He told me as an old man, that the Brothers at that school were terribly violent. He told me about a boy sitting next him in class who was caught talking in a lesson. He said the Brother backhanded the boy so hard that he broke the little boys jaw.
Awful stuff.... Then apart from that, there's the child abuse issue, we all know how big that is.
I hope this new Pope can set a better example than the ones previous.

-------------
Caveat emptor

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

you talk crap
Thank you Big smile It isn't what you want to hear, no doubt. But this world where there is only joy, but no despair, where there is only gain, but never loss, is simply a repudiation of common sense, without heat there is no cold, without light there is no darkness, they are simply the two sides of the coin, and there are no coins with one side, you want to rid the world of suffering, you have also to rid of joy and pleasure, there is no way to abolish one without abolishing both.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:05pm
"Kill them all and let God sort them out" ........ sounds like your reckoning on life .......

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:05pm
and you still talk crap

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:06pm
It is a failing of intelligence to associate the divine with the clergy, the priests may claim to represent God, but they cannot produce a letter of introduction. It is far better to cut out the middleman, imo.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:11pm
So you have a direct link ?

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:13pm

It is a failing of intelligence to associate the divine with the clergy, the priests may claim to represent God, but they cannot produce a letter of introduction. It is far better to cut out the middleman, imo.

Agree with you Max. 

-------------
Caveat emptor

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:14pm

"Kill them all and let God sort them out" ........ sounds like your reckoning on life .......
Men act unjustly, and you blame God ? Without free will being withdrawn, and that would make a cypher of us all, the remedy you seek is unobtainable. You want to relinquish freedom of action ?

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:14pm
Do you both talk to God directly ?

Do you hear His voice in your head ??

Does He tell you what to do ???

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:16pm
Do you expect to go to Heaven ....... a place supposedly where there is no sufferring ??

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:18pm
a fine song from a few years ago .....

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:20pm

Do you both talk to God directly ?

Do you hear His voice in your head ??

Does He tell you what to do ???

No, I haven't had a chat recently, but I wish he'd tell me who is going to win The Slipper tomorrow Wink

-------------
Caveat emptor

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:32pm
A lot of people struggle, imo, to separate conceptions of God from the phenomenon of organized religion. The best that probably can be said is that organized religion is an attempt to render in rational terms, that which is clearly not rational, that is, something that can be explained by a relationship between various elements, it is very clear to me that the Riddle of Existence, aka God, is never going to be "explained" by such contrivances. There is a compulsive urge in humans to understand the how and why of it all, but that line of enquiry has yielded absolutely nothing, in regard to the ultimate question.  How could it ? As long as we have a need to have things explained in terms meaningful to us, the conundrum continues to trouble, far better to abolish any ambitions to "understand" God, or what God may be. The dawn will come when you truly admit you know nothing of it, and do not believe you can ever "know", in the way you know how and why, e.g., a loaf of bread rises.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:34pm

The universe is 13.77 billion years old..........the earth a mere 4.54 billion..........homo sapiens (us) have been around for approx 200,000 yrs...........& jesus arrived 2,000yrs ago..........mmmmm......just let me think about that for a while !

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:34pm

It is impossible to imagine a world in which there is no suffering of creatures, except if there is no life at all. Pain and suffering and fear evolved as an impetus or spur, to move away from threatening situations, in the interests of preserving life. If we never felt pain, physical or psychological, or experienced fear, we would not be alive for long.

What is Gods motivation for cancers in Children ?

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: jujuno
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:36pm
 I feel for you Max...or is it George Pell...

??? 

-------------
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:37pm

Do you expect to go to Heaven ....... a place supposedly where there is no sufferring ??
Do animals go to heaven..........if not why not............& at what point in the evolution of man did the big Fella decide "Ok from now on Heaven is an option" ?

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

The universe is 13.77 billion years old..........the earth a mere 4.54 billion..........homo sapiens (us) have been around for approx 200,000 yrs...........& jesus arrived 2,000yrs ago..........mmmmm......just let me think about that for a while !
Time is an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. Einstein said it. The mystics agree, that in the divine realm, a second is as a thousand years. Jesus was a man, there is a great deal of happenstance in his becoming as prominent as he became in history, but he is just one of myriad examplars of what has been called, The Perennial Philosophy.

Posted By: Whale
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:40pm

A lot of people struggle, imo, to separate conceptions of God from the phenomenon of organized religion. The best that probably can be said is that organized religion is e.g., a loaf of bread rises.

I don't , I actively dislike organised religion and its smugness, preaching, hypocrisy,bullying and certainty.

Doesn't stop me from being an agnostic, that is acknowledging the possible existence of "god" or some sort of all encompassing spirit.
For all the logical scientific arguments debunking god it always comes back to the question how did it all start, where did that first amoeba come from.

-------------
Victor Orban 1.74 m, Michael Bloomberg 1.73 m, Emmanual Macron 1.77 m, George Soros 1.8 m

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:43pm
The people who are talking about Jesus, and animals going to heaven are completely on the wrong track.
These things are religion's interpretation and as such are a load of garbage as the mystery of god is unfathomable.
Doesn't mean there isn't or couldn't be a god of some sort.

-------------
Victor Orban 1.74 m, Michael Bloomberg 1.73 m, Emmanual Macron 1.77 m, George Soros 1.8 m

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:45pm

What is Gods motivation for cancers in Children ?

The answer to that problem, is likely that in our egos we value far too much our earthly existences, especially if we insist there is nothing beyond it, and I have witnessed much that tells me that presumption is startlingly wrong. We know we will be brought to nothingness on this Earth, individually and collectively, to cling to it as the be all and end all seems void and futile to me.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:46pm

Dinosaurs lived on the planet 925 times longer than humans have (up until now)

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

I feel for you Max...or is it George Pell...

??? 

Your feelings are reciprocated. LOL

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:54pm
Where did God come from?

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:55pm
An obvious next question, but that is where I give up, my head hurts LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Browndog Browndog wrote:

Where did God come from?
Questions like that are simply an artefact of the way the rational mind has evolved to work, it does not have any application to an undifferentiated unity, and the mystics all agree, in God there is no distinction. It is the workings of the mind that create distinction and discrimination, but in the totality, all is one.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 8:05pm

Why is the human race so arrogant to think they matter more than any other living or non-living thing in the magnificent universe ? If we were invaded by aliens would we still believe we were Gods chosen ones ?

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 8:15pm
There is a great deal of illusion in our perceptions, the young can be excused for failing to recognize that, those of us with more more experience, less so. What seemed earth-shattering as a child can be looked back upon with mirth in adulthood, maybe that is indicative of how we would see our adult behaviours if we could "grow" into a greater maturity than most achieve.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 8:15pm

Where did God come from?
Questions like that are simply an artefact of the way the rational mind has evolved to work, it does not have any application to an undifferentiated unity, and the mystics all agree, in God there is no distinction. It is the workings of the mind that create distinction and discrimination, but in the totality, all is one.

A disciplined Socratic thought process does not preclude curiosity and clear mindedness does not prevent you from being teachable. In fact it makes you more open than the closed minded zealot who has already decided to shut his mind down on the subject

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

An obvious next question, but that is where I give up, my head hurts LOL

ditto...

going to watch the footy...please God, don't let Manly win again...

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 8:24pm
 I might believe in God if Souths ever win the premiership again...

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 8:32pm

I think you are condemned to agnosticism, at least foreverLOL

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 8:39pm

Where did God come from?
That is such an easy and obvious question to answer ................

From the mind of man ............ an evil and mischevious man to boot

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 8:46pm

Where did God come from?

Some desperately want to believe, others equally desperate to disbelieve,  yet other people don't fancy themselves clever enough to know, those people are smarter than they think, imo ! Wink 

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 9:29pm

I think you are condemned to agnosticism, at least foreverLOL

very likely...

God is obviously a Manly supporter....

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 9:33pm
That has never been in doubtCry

Posted By: JoH
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 9:42pm
very likely...
 God is obviously a Manly supporter....

that may be but at the moment she's bl--dy well moonlighting in the Richmond forward line.  Unhappy

(not happy Jan)  

-------------
suck it up ... Life isn't run at w.f.a. :)

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 10:23pm

Where did God come from?

Some desperately want to believe, others equally desperate to disbelieve,  yet other people don't fancy themselves clever enough to know, those people are smarter than they think, imo ! Wink 
Touch self-congratualty Max Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 11:05pm
Don't know about that either, 1-1, I know nuffink............but if you know you know nuffink, you know somefink........or somefink like that.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 11:08pm

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 11:55pm
How comically true

Posted By: Gay3
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 9:32pm
What hope for the rest of us then? Confused

Crocodile 'jumped out of the lake' to kill pastor during mass baptism in Ethiopia

Updated

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-06/nile-crocodile/9840124" rel="nofollow"> A Nile crocodile is waiting with its body submerged under the river water, waiting for its prey. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-06/nile-crocodile/9840124" rel="nofollow - Photo: Nearby fishermen were unable to save the pastor. - (Reuters)

A baptism in Ethiopia has gone horribly wrong, with a crocodile attacking and killing the pastor during a waterside service.

Eighty people were gathered at Lake Abaya while Docho Eshetem, the Protestant clergyman, conducted a mass baptism in the shallow water.

"He baptised the first person and he passed on to another one," a local resident told the BBC.

"All of a sudden, a crocodile jumped out of the lake and grabbed the pastor."

According to The Telegraph, members of the congregation looked on in horror as fishermen attempted to rescue the pastor.

Despite their efforts to block the crocodile with their nets, by the time they reached Mr Eshetem he was already dead.

Lake Abaya is well known for having a large crocodile population.

The Lonely Planet warns the crocodiles can be aggressive towards people and animals because the lake has few fish.

Reports say it was likely a Nile crocodile that killed the pastor, as the species is thought to be responsible for more than 300 attacks on humans every year in Africa.

The reptiles can grow to be up to six metres long and weigh as much as one tonne.

-------------
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!

Posted By: horlicks
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 9:49pm
This has now been reported as probably fake

https://t.co/4Blz5Dmu9K" rel="nofollow - https://t.co/4Blz5Dmu9K

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 10:03pm
If you are true believer why would you be ever be afraid of dying ?

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 10:06pm

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net