Print Page | Close Window

Soccer - what a bore !

Printed From: Thoroughbred Village
Category: All Sports - Public Forums
Forum Name: Joffs All Sports Bar
Forum Description: Visit the famous All Sports Forum to chat with friends about any sporting topic
URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=43219
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:55pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Soccer - what a bore !
Posted By: oneonesit
Subject: Soccer - what a bore !
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 12:30am

I love watching (& having a punt) on most sports - luv my AFL / NRL / NFL / NBA / NBL & golf to name but a few . Just cannot appreciate a game of soccer - find it as boring as bat poo compared to others . Never played it as a kid - & whilst i appreciate the skill in the game i get frustrated watching it. Pass, pass, beautiful long kick, pass, header to another player, pass , pass all the way down the field after skirting the side-line a few times then.....BOOT...........shot on goal that misses 99 times out of a hundred...........then boot by the goalie up the other end to start all over again ! Too often i have seen the team with superior field position either lose or draw a game - something that rarely occurs in high scoring games such as AFL & to a lesser extent NRL / Rugby. Now i know this post will upset a few, & the game is the biggest in the world, however i put that down to indoctrination at an early age. Anyhow i think the game would be much more entertaining to watch / fairer to the best team if the game was higher scoring.......so that the team who has more shots on goal has a greater chance of winning.........& that could easily be achieved by increasing the goal size by about a half ! Not a new idea.....& buckleys of happening........but do any others think along similiar lines ? 

-------------
Refer ALP Election Promises

Replies:
Posted By: max manewer
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 12:39am
There is only one reason to watch........the penalties........player writhes in terminal agony, only to scamper away like a gazelle as soon as the penalty and/or red card comes out. Warner Bros would be impressed. I don't think there is any objective standard to apply to sports as to how watchable they are, the yanks love basketball, but it is a punishment to have to watch rather than a sport, imo. Just me maybe !

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 12:49am
Yeah Max..........i also struggled with baseball..........then started to follow..........& now prefer it to cricket. Went to see a Yankees vs Mets game recently in New York & a great afternoon.Pressure on those pitchers is unbelievable & amazing behind the scene analysis on a ball by ball basis. So definately an aquired taste - yanks absolutetly luv it. I also find tennis tedious to watch these days..........don't mind the finals in big tournaments but thats about it. We are very fortunate to have AFL / NRL in this country........fantastic spectatator sports....second to none IMO.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 12:52am
I don't mind baseball, basketball is another story............

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 1:05am
Sorry Max.......misread.........thought u said baseball. I like having a bet on basketball (NBA / College & NBL).......like the overs/unders. Again i do appreciate the skill - just a game that discriminates against the physiques of 99% of the population. If you are less than 6 ft 10 inches & white you are unlkely to get a contract in the NBA - even Andrew Gaze only achieved bench status for a season or 2 over there ! Even so, can't help but be impressed by the likes of Le Bron James - absolute magnificent huge / agile athlete !

-------------

Posted By: mowie
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 8:44am
if i wamted to see soemone not score for 90mins i'd go out clubing with my best mate...

-------------
chris Armstrong waller, *drugs are bad mkay

Posted By: Gettingbigger
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 9:04am
Originally posted by mowie mowie wrote:

if i wamted to see soemone not score for 90mins i'd go out clubing with my best mate...

LOL  that's funny

-------------
Say nothing once why say it again

Posted By: waggamick
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 9:31am
The attraction of soccer to its many followers is the difficulty of scoring.
8 or 9 opposition players in a 50 m x 60 m half defending a goal 2.5 m x 7.3 m (18 square metres) against 6 or 7 propelling a spherical object that can only be propelled by foot or head past a 2+m high moving guard and an offside rule makes scoring extremely difficult.
Hence the low scores and extreme displays of relief by players and spectators when one side can actually get the ball into the net.
The exciting part of soccer is the build up to a shot.
A goal is the ultimate thrill.
But the many close shots and great saves make it an exciting game.

To ask for more goals implies that you want the defensive side of the game weakened which could only be done so through a netball style of designated defender.

I've been to low scoring NRL and AFL matches that have been much more absorbing than higher scoring games.

As far as basketball is concerned it was the NBL's outlawing of Zone Defences that made it a scoring free for all and ultimately a run and gun boring game.
Watch college ball where zone defences are played and you'll see a much more interesting game where scoring becomes tougher against a range of defensive zone set ups.

Baseball is a really interesting game as evfery pitch can win or lose the game with the manager having the option of changing the line up as the state of the game changes. Once you become aware of the nuances of the game the chess like matching of skill against skill and trying to exploit a perceived weakness makes the game fascinating.

-------------
The Dude Abides

Posted By: Quaddie King
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 10:13am
Soccer is a total bore 

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 12:35pm
Some people don't like anchovies on their pizza, others don't like soccer on the sporting menu. Whatever floats your boat.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 12:41pm
Fair analysis Wagga...........however don't u think the "arse factor" decides results in low scoring games.........i mean a deflection can give a team a 1 nil win in a soccer match..........in AFL the same thing is much less likely to decide a game

-------------

Posted By: jujuno
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

There is only one reason to watch........the penalties........player writhes in terminal agony, only to scamper away like a gazelle as soon as the penalty and/or red card comes out. Warner Bros would be impressed. I don't think there is any objective standard to apply to sports as to how watchable they are, the yanks love basketball, but it is a punishment to have to watch rather than a sport, imo. Just me maybe !

only time I ever watch basketball is at the Olympics....

what skills? being tall enough to lean over and put the ball in the net...

now wheelchair basketball is another story....great skill and entertainment...was a big fan of Sandy Blythe...

love baseball and soccer...have so many movies about baseball...Field of Dreams, Bull Durham, For the Love of the Game, A League of Their Own etc...

undefined

-------------
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 5:18pm
You don't need to go far to get an appreciation of the incredible skills in basketball...head down to your local courts when Div. 1 or Div. 2 games are being played..you might change your tune.

-------------
The Dude Abides

Posted By: WarriSymbol
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Fair analysis Wagga...........however don't u think the "arse factor" decides results in low scoring games.........i mean a deflection can give a team a 1 nil win in a soccer match..........in AFL the same thing is much less likely to decide a game
In a one off game, yes, the "arse factor" can decide a result.
Over a whole season though, as in all football codes, the cream rises to the top.

Posted By: StateTheObvious
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 8:39pm
I played baseball, basketball and cricket for many years among other sporting forays. The most boring and thankless game by far was basketball. Too many ankle injuries and inconsistent/ambiguous umpiring. The skill level is grossly over rated. Local games are no more interesting than what you see on TV. In most cases the scoring will be a lot lower than the pros with a skill level that is often mundane. I'd rather watch high grade local aussie rules football any day. At least I can stand in the rain with a bbq banger in bread in one hand a can of amber nectar in the other. The crowd banter cannot be matched down at the local basketball courts. 

Baseball on the other hand was always fun whether watching or playing. The local club had a great atmosphere for families. Cricket was by far my favourite game. The minute adjustments of line and length along with field placements can make a vast difference to the end result. The small nuances of both sports are fascinating and ever evolving. The club scene with cricket was never as family friendly as baseball though. 

Soccer is little more than an imminent tragedy waiting to unfold. As others have stated, the side that dominates doesn't always win. It's a flukers sport and results often come down to questionable decisions from the refs. Don't get me started on penalty shoot outs. What an absurd way to end any game. It's also the game filled with players with the least sportsmanlike qualities. 

At the end of the day though it's always a case of each to their own. 

Posted By: Fiddlesticks
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 9:21pm
Group & WFA racing, NH racing and Test Cricket ( ashes ) are about the only sports I really hate to miss these days, all other sports I can live without but watch out of the corner of my eye subliminally due to them constantly being on screens at work.

-------------
Panspermia.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 9:33pm
My local soccer team drew 2-2 with Chelsea yesterday. I still can't get excited. They should have been beaten 8-0 if wages mean anything. 

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by StateTheObvious StateTheObvious wrote:

Soccer is little more than an imminent tragedy waiting to unfold. As others have stated, the side that dominates doesn't always win.

It's a flukers sport and results often come down to questionable decisions from the refs. 
"He was plumb in front crooked fingered ump! I want a review."
Oh it's India we're playing - can't do it. Next week it's the Windies, we can review the same type of decision then.  Makes sense. 

Don't get me started on penalty shoot outs. What an absurd way to end any game.
Yeah, a draw at the end of five days play makes far more sense.

It's also the game filled with players with the least sportsmanlike qualities.
Ball tampering, bat throwing, deliberate no balls, bookie bribes....

Playing in pyjamas, hot spot, snicko, strobing stumps, mic'd up players, 20 overs, 50 overs, five days with no result and a total of five, that's right, five competitive nations in test cricket.
I just don't get cricket.
Never played it as a kid.

When I was in my early teens the old man was taking my brother down the coast on a hot summer's day.
We were stopped at the traffic lights where next to us there was a local cricket match in play.
My brother said,"How's these blokes standing around in the field sweating their arses off while we're on the way to the beach for a surf where we can see hot chicks in bikinis."

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 10:18pm
At the end of the day though it's always a case of each to their own

I didn't say I like pyjama or 20/20 cricket. They are pathetic "advances" to satisfy the needs of those with fleeting attentions. What's wrong with a draw? Time is a constraint all games are controlled by. The obsession some have with an outright result is boring. A draw is a fitting result for many contests. A scoreless draw is par for the course in soccer. Some insist that standing around for two hours watching nobody score at all is very exciting. I'm not one of them. For me the tension that builds on the field when scoring is tight in cricket is far more compelling by comparison. I loved fielding though. Many are too self obsessed to get into it. They want to be the bowler or they get petulant. Go play soccer instead and dribble to yourself all day! 

I spoke about cricket from a playing perspective. As non players I don't expect  anyone to get anything about the sport that I love to participate in. I don't care how many countries play any particular game. Global participation isn't a pre requisite for personal enjoyment. 

If you want to highlight the extremities of any sport and its combatants it's very easily done. Many play and watch sport at a local level so the whole bribery/gambling issue is a non event. The best sport is not the one where the players are the highest paid. Mind you even low paid, low league, local soccer players have been caught in betting scandals. Never mind the leaders of the game who are constantly in trouble for racial abuse. The fans are even worse. 

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 11:30pm
At the end of the day though it's always a case of each to their own. Thumbs Up  It would be a pretty boring world if everyone liked the same stuff.

Posted By: Znatchy
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 10:53am
I can't believe there is a thread entitled 'soccer - what a bore' and we've just been through two weeks of Aus Open tennis; undoubtedly the most boring event in sport.

Posted By: Grinnersawinner
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 11:04am

I played baseball, basketball and cricket for many years among other sporting forays. The most boring and thankless game by far was basketball. Too many ankle injuries and inconsistent/ambiguous umpiring. The skill level is grossly over rated. Local games are no more interesting than what you see on TV. In most cases the scoring will be a lot lower than the pros with a skill level that is often mundane. I'd rather watch high grade local aussie rules football any day. At least I can stand in the rain with a bbq banger in bread in one hand a can of amber nectar in the other. The crowd banter cannot be matched down at the local basketball courts. 

Baseball on the other hand was always fun whether watching or playing. The local club had a great atmosphere for families. Cricket was by far my favourite game. The minute adjustments of line and length along with field placements can make a vast difference to the end result. The small nuances of both sports are fascinating and ever evolving. The club scene with cricket was never as family friendly as baseball though. 

Soccer is little more than an imminent tragedy waiting to unfold. As others have stated, the side that dominates doesn't always win. It's a flukers sport and results often come down to questionable decisions from the refs. Don't get me started on penalty shoot outs. What an absurd way to end any game. It's also the game filled with players with the least sportsmanlike qualities. 

Come to Wagga and watch me STO.

-------------
Still Grinning

Posted By: saintly96
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 11:11am
I love most sports and don't find anything boring about a decent contest.

Football (soccer to some) = fantastic, I love it (still play it)
AFL = love it, (watch the son play, I haven't played for 4 years)
Tennis = Love it (still play)
Baseball = Used to play, don't watch it often, but it is a great game.
Basketball = My kids are very good at, watch them 4 nights a week, love it.
Horse racing = Love it
Motor Sports = Love it, watch as much as I can (V8 supercars, F1, Moto GP).
Golf = I Play quite poorly, but love watching the pro's make it look so easy.
Rugby = Never played, watch it a little, still find it a great sport.

Really, I will watch (and participate in almost any sport), just love watching a contest. I will sit and watch the world hotdog eating contest if it is on the TV.

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by saintly96 saintly96 wrote:

Horse racing = Love it

Really, I will watch (and participate in almost any sport), just love watching a contest. I will sit and watch the world hotdog eating contest if it is on the TV.

With you on all those Saintly barring Women's Tennis...grunting and relative slowness, Motor Sports...love watching motor bikes especially Northern Road Racing from Ireland, can't come at F1 or V8's, one guy gets in front and more often than not it becomes a procession and Rugby...like watching Rugby League but can't come at Rugby Union with all it's stoppages and penalty kicks at goal.

-------------
The Dude Abides

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Znatchy Znatchy wrote:

I can't believe there is a thread entitled 'soccer - what a bore' and we've just been through two weeks of Aus Open tennis; undoubtedly the most boring event in sport.
No arguement from me Znatchy - Soccer would be the 2nd most boring then !

-------------

Posted By: mowie
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 4:52pm
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=womens+hot+soccer&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=97Lqm31zPCVdfM&tbnid=tlN3NrO0PU5OnM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thesportsbrewery.com%2Fxyz%2Fother-sports%2Fsoccer-other-sports%2Fi-have-found-a-reason-to-watch-the-u-s-womens-world-cup-i-give-you-alex-morgan&ei=b2MHUdSZA-KJmQXkjIGgCw&bvm=bv.41524429,d.dGY&psig=AFQjCNH8vrC8ltIqEn8giyUim-o8ThcXOg&ust=1359525103444446" rel="nofollow">
womens soccer has it's upside nom nom

-------------
chris Armstrong waller, *drugs are bad mkay

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 12:17am
Agreed. Tennis is 500 times more fun to play than it is to watch. I would rather watch u/11 soccer than Djokovic Vs Murray. As for sheilas grunting at each other for two hours .... shoot me first. 

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 12:27am

Agreed. Tennis is 500 times more fun to play than it is to watch. I would rather watch u/11 soccer than Djokovic Vs Murray. As for sheilas grunting at each other for two hours .... shoot me first. 
Not even sure about the playing bit STO............seem to spend all my time picking balls up off the ground.............give me a squash court any day !

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 8:44am
0-0 too many games for it not to be boring

Posted By: jujuno
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 9:43am
Originally posted by saintly96 saintly96 wrote:

Horse racing = Love it

yep...my kids think I'm nuts because I will watch it all...including skiing, snowboarding and poker...it's a sport, isn't it?....only one I can't come at is darts....would rather watch grass grow....

-------------
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Quaddie King Quaddie King wrote:

0-0 too many games for it not to be boring
In the A League this season a team has scored in 95.6% of games.

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 9:15pm
The A league wow thats a clas act

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Quaddie King Quaddie King wrote:

The A league wow thats a clas act
Don't know what your opinion of the standard of the A League has to do with your "too many 0-0 draws" argument but OK then, when you combine all matches played in the current season of the A League, English Premier League, Spanish La Liga, Italiian Serie A and German Bundesliga, goals have been scored in 92% of matches.
It turns out the most watched league in the world, the EPL, had the highest percentage of nil all draws.

Posted By: Brudder_A
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 2:37am
Could find an appropriate thread so I'll resurrect this one....

Congrats to OZ National Team for there thrashing win over Jordan.

What was the SP for that 4-0 win?

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 10:27am
Western Sydney Wanderers would have beaten Jordan last night.
Lost 5 from 5 before last night in their World Cup campaign.
Australia's misdirected passes, inept crosses and and a centrefield defence as open as The Heads does not augur well for anything but a First Round demolition should we reach Rio.

-------------
The Dude Abides

Posted By: Mayor
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 10:32am
Their defence was good against Japan, although I think Japan's attack was a little off the mark. 

-------------
Mayor

Posted By: Ecair Issoire
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 10:42am
afl is the best football code by a mile imo...not as skillful as soccer
+ not as much biffo as rugby but somewhere in the middle.
In terms of excitement across the full game, afl wins hands down imo: but it is of course
a matter of opinion.

Nowadays I prefer racquet sports to play...tennis, squash (easier for beginners + less work in  fetching the ball) + table tennis are all good, badmington doesn't really float my boat - too wristy + i can't get the hang of it.

Can't be bothered (as yet) getting fit enough to play footy again + cricket is a bit too time demanding, tues thurs training + sat game...i might play 1 dayers next season if i find a local club that looks ok.

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Mayor Mayor wrote:

Their defence was good against Japan, although I think Japan's attack was a little off the mark. 

Japan did us a favour by beating Iraq.

So now the worst we can finish is in 3rd place which would mean two more playoff series.

I think the team should take care of Iraq at home probably leaving Oman in 3rd place.

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 10:48am
Originally posted by waggamick waggamick wrote:

Western Sydney Wanderers would have beaten Jordan last night.

Is that like Pan-Hellenic or somethin' ?

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 7:44am
Piss poor effort against Thailand...

Now a two leg elimination against Syria and then anudder one against either USA/Honduras/Panama

Posted By: Shrunk in the Wash
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 9:48am
The sleeping giant has stayed asleep again

Posted By: Tlazolteotl
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 11:02am
Just imagine if rugby league was like soccer re transfers. Instead of Bellamy getting no-name players and making them better players- every season- he would just load up with whoever caught his eye during the semifinals- price no object- and then he'd top up again after the SOO- again, price no object.

Are soccer coaches at those big clubs any good at developing players?

Posted By: Dr E
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 9:02pm
LOL"Bellamy getting no-name players and making them better" ... you're funny!Big smile

-------------
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Brudder_A Brudder_A wrote:

Now a two leg elimination against Syria and then anudder one against either USA/Honduras/Panama

Syria ? They can find time to play soccer ? Amazing.

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 12:00am

Originally posted by Brudder_A Brudder_A wrote:

Syria ? They can find time to play soccer ? Amazing.

I guess there was a standing room crowd in the center square in Damascus cheering them on with there draw against Iran.

Their home match against OZ will be held in Malaysia - So at least our boyz wont be greeted any rock chuckers!

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 10:01pm
Hard to get worked up about Australia in WC, whether they are there or not, knowing they aren't going to get out of the group stage. It's like owning the worst horse in the Melbourne Cup

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 10:04pm
You mean like Prince of Penzance ?

Posted By: maccamax
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Hard to get worked up about Australia in WC, whether they are there or not, knowing they aren't going to get out of the group stage. It's like owning the worst horse in the Melbourne Cup<div id="UMS_TOOLTIP" style=": ; cursor: pointer; : 2147483647; : transparent; top: -100000px; left: -100000px;">

Fair enough example , except the horse would have beaten something worthwhile to be there .

Posted By: RED HUNTER
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 11:09pm
Wow..blaming the COACH for not being able to defeat THAILAND

Drew? with them in THAILAND and can only win 2 -1 here.

World Cup here we come, if we defeat SYRIA and some team from Central America.

Odds of winning the WC...3 trillion to one...being generous unless we can afford to make oppositions rich like some oiled up countries do.

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 2:41am
3 trillion to one? Confused

-------------
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!

Posted By: RED HUNTER
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 6:53pm
Tx for re-living the moment Dr

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 7:11pm
Probably 500/1, nothing to slash the wrists over.

Posted By: Passing Through
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 7:57am
Dates and the opposition forAustralia's next round of the World Cup. 

We are playing Syria twice in October.

Wont that be a bit awkward with us dropping bombs on them and everything?

Imagine the sledging in those matches Shocked 

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 11:40am
Syria moving their home leg to either Amman, Jordan or Abu Dhabi, UAE rather than in Malaysia.

Australia has always had problems playing in the Middle East.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 4:44pm
World Cup is bigger than any war! (just not in Australia)

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 7:09am
A disappointing Second Half when in reality this tie could of been wrapped up for the second leg.

But I think the team will make it into the next playoff game - USA, Panama or Honduras. More likely Panama but tomorrow's USA-Panama game will shed more light.

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:27pm
Panama must be a very bad team. They are 100/1 to win v USA and USA ain't all that.

So that puts them right in our class.Tongue

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 12:30pm

Panama must be a very bad team. They are 100/1 to win v USA and USA ain't all that.

So that puts them right in our class.Tongue

Crikey- Panama blew out to 125/1 in the time it took me to write that. They will probably be 200/1 by the time I post this.

Posted By: horlicks
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 1:14pm
Odds blew out as US were scoring. Now with 10 min to go US up 4-0

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by horlicks horlicks wrote:

With all likelihood USA will finish in third place and qualify for the WC.
Their last game is away against Trinidad & Tobago.

This leaves Panama and Honduras to battle out the playoff place.

Panama played fairly dirty the whole match against US - I envision that if OZ has to play against these teams to qualify it will not be pretty.

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by horlicks horlicks wrote:

A ha. Got it.Big smile

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 3:51am
Honduras tied 1-1 with Costa Rica and are on level points with Panama but with a poorer goal differential.

Last round matches on Tuesday night.
Honduras vs Mexico
Panama vs Costa Rica

USA visits Trinidad and Tobago and would have to lose with either Honduras or Panama winning their matches to fall in to the Intercontinental qualifier. Hardly that will happen.

Big match in Sydney with OZ overwhelming favourite....

Australia 1/3on  Draw 15/4 Syria 9/1

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 10:24am
They aren't mixing politics with sport are they?

Visa ban on North Korean football team forces major tournament offshore

Australia will no longer host an international football tournament after Foreign Minister Julie Bishop denied visas to the North Korean team over their country’s “illegal nuclear and missile development programs”.

Fans will also be denied the chance to watch Australia’s best young football stars following the decision, which will force the tournament to be moved overseas, The New Daily can reveal.

Shepparton, in central Victoria, was set to host a qualifying event in November – involving Australia, North Korea, Hong Kong and the Northern Mariana Islands – with the winner advancing to the upcoming Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Under-19 Championship.

But following Ms Bishop’s decision, the tournament will no longer be held in Australia.

“The government has decided to not allow the North Korean U19 soccer team to enter Australia for the Asian Football Confederation U19 Championship qualifiers,” Foreign Minister Julie Bishop told The New Daily.

http://1v1d1e1lmiki1lgcvx32p49h8fe.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Julie-Bishop-NK.jpg" rel="nofollow">Julie Bishop North Korea Julie Bishop is playing hardball with North Korea. Photo: ABC

Ms Bishop added that the government had to be consistent with its approach on North Korea.

“Hosting the team would be contrary to the government’s strong opposition to North Korea’s illegal nuclear and missile development programs,” she said.

“It would also be inconsistent with our efforts to increase diplomatic and economic pressure on Pyongyang to comply with UN Security Council resolutions.”

The news is a blow for Football Federation Australia, which announced in August that the event was a “fantastic way to showcase our best young footballers to a local audience and demonstrate our commitment to supporting the AFC by hosting youth competitions”.

At the time, Young Socceroos coach Ufuk Talay said Australia’s home ground advantage gave our next generation of football stars “a great opportunity” to qualify for the tournament.

That advantage is now gone with a state government spokesperson confirming to The New Daily that the event would be “shifted to a neutral venue”.

“We’ll continue working to bring the best of the best to Shepparton and regional Victoria,” they added.

An economic blow to Central Victoria

When contacted, Greater Shepparton City Council Mayor Dinny Adem was unaware that the tournament was being moved and said it was “disappointing” to hear.

“If this is the case – this is a bit of a hit to us,” he told The New Daily.

“We’ve just opened our new $21 million sporting precinct and this was one of the first major events we were hosting.

“I can’t say I’m overly surprised with respect to the North Korean thing … but this would have been a nice one [event] to start off with.

“It’s disappointing – but to a degree, understandable.”

Councillor Adem said the news was particularly hard to take for football fans and local businesses.

In August, he said the event would generate more than $1 million in economic stimulation, attract intrastate, interstate and international visitors, and see around 3000 spectators attend matches at the newly redeveloped John McEwen Reserve.

“There’s quite a large football following here and for them, this would be disappointing,” he added.

“We’ll put our focus into other games now, like pre-season A-League games, proper games, qualifiers for senior tournaments around the Asia-Pacific region.”

The FFA and the AFC were contacted for comment.

– with reporting from Luke Henriques-Gomes

-------------

Posted By: ThreeBears
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 11:28am
involving Australia, North Korea, Hong Kong and the Northern Mariana Islands
Not much hyperbole there describing these four minnows as major competition.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 11:57pm
Well if it wasn't For Tim Cahill this Australian Team would be staying home with tail and ego severly dented.

Timmy ain't no Winx but his two headers tonight were as good as he has ever hit into the back of the net.

Lets see who we face next month!

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 1:58pm
Well shock of all shocks.

US eliminated by T&T and Honduras finished in the playoff spot and will face OZ!

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 9:55am
First half over - with the boyz having a couple of outstanding chances to up.

The ground is a Heavy 2 - without any visible fluids.

Clumps of turf being ripped out and the ball stopping.

Not beyond us to get an away goal!

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 10:04am
Only watchable for the laughs, you have people writhing around on the ground as if shot, to milk penalties, and tellingly the teammates have not the slightest concern for the "agony" of their player, walking straight past the crumpled body !

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 12:02pm
0-0 in the first leg!

Really again we had the better chances in the 2nd half.

Will be disappointed if we don't take of this bunch at home.

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 7:27pm
Watching it today reminded me of my under 10s soccer days. About the same skill level. But we used to have much better prepared fields.

Posted By: JudgeHolden
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 7:33pm

Only watchable for the laughs, you have people writhing around on the ground as if shot, to milk penalties, and tellingly the teammates have not the slightest concern for the "agony" of their player, walking straight past the crumpled body !

It's unbelievable. The rusted on have no idea how this is interpreted by non soccer heads. And they don't care. "Simulation" is an accepted part of the game. Hard to choose a "best" in this lot, but the third in takes some catching.

Date Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 7:37pm

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 11:48am
They missed this one

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 1:09pm
A good soccer team needs a rapier thrust from their forwards but the Socceroos have damp sponges.

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 5:38pm
How do people watch such rubbish,?     Wore than the NRL , who at least import a Woofie rapper to tickle your Iggles.

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 6:15pm
Plenty of cash available for Australian soccer, the team travelled to and from Honduras on a chartered jet, for $1 million. Probably help them in the return match, though.

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 8:32pm

Plenty of cash available for Australian soccer, the team travelled to and from Honduras on a chartered jet, for $1 million. Probably help them in the return match, though.

Cluttering up the World Cup field no matter who qualifies from this neck of the woods.
a Million to 1 , would be miles unders.

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 1:59pm
As far as cluttering the field of 32 for the WCup, today the world witness a former champion in Italy fail to qualify.

Argentina was close, but Messi pulled the wabbit out of the hat with a hattrick but the Azzurried Ferraris spluttered in 120+ minutes not scoring a goal against Sweden shows that sometimes those who make it into the field for the WCup have a worthy quality - tenuous defense and sometimes luck.

As for the Green&Gold a bit disappointed at this forum that there isn't bit more parochialism and good old fashioned applaud for our own.

Half the field in the recently run Melbourne Cup were making up the numbers.  Thats life! But don't tell that to the owners.

OZ making it to the final dance may be making us the numbers - but don't ruin it for the fanz!

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:03pm
dearie me, a spy drone flying over the stadium where the Hondurans were practising....if that is as reported, I hope they flog the Aussie cheats !

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 12:35am
I was a bit thoughtless Brudder .      The game is an OK spectacle but the behavioural chit turns people off.       Every bump and someone is writhing in agony trying to milk a penalty .        The girls are a far better entertainment.
Penalties from next to nothing.   Boring Boring .
Soccer has the future but a few things, like the above, have to be straightened out.
The same things stopped to the game 50 years ago when it also had momentum here,   but it became intolerable with nationality issues.

Posted By: Mayor
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 6:47am
Agree with the boredom comments, soccer is excruciatingly boring to watch, but that's only on-field. You can have the best time standing in the crowd. I attended an Arsenal-Tottenham game at Highbury many years ago. Still recovering from the hysteria after the gunners scored the only goal of the match, in the second half. Wow!

-------------
Mayor

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 5:36pm
Australia seem pretty short to qualify, given that if Honduras score a goal Australia need 3 to win from the game

Click for a larger view

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Australia seem pretty short to qualify, given that if Honduras score a goal Australia need 3 to win from the game

Click for a larger view

According to this any winning score by Australia will do, so if Honduras score 1 Australia need to score 2. If it's a score draw Honduras wins.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-15/confused-by-away-goals-what-you-need-to-know-socceroos-honduras/9148650

Posted By: horlicks
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 5:46pm
The old fallacy that away goals count double. They do not.

Away goals are only relevant when the result is a draw.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 5:53pm
Sorry you are right, if Honduras score, Australia has to score twice or if the score twice we have to score 3 and so on Any score draw and Honduras win

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 6:22pm
I am getting confused here ! If the Hondurans hold Australia to any draw, Honduras goes through, and Australia is out ?

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 6:28pm
No, if it is 0-0 it goes to penalty shootout

If Honduras score Australia has to score one more

Australia was held to 0-0 on the weekend away/

Away goals have extra value on countback

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 6:30pm

I am getting confused here ! If the Hondurans hold Australia to any draw, Honduras goes through, and Australia is out ?

Scoreless draw goes to extra time, then penalty shootout. Winner in extra or penalty shootout wins. Only draw Honduras wins with is score draw.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 6:35pm

Scoreless draw goes to extra time, then penalty shootout. Winner in extra or penalty shootout wins. Only draw Honduras wins with is score draw*.

*In regulation time or extra time- score draw = Australia loses.

Penalty shootout only if scoreless after extra time.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 6:37pm
It is a bit complicated, hey !

Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 7:08pm
Ozzies need to win.  Simple as.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 9:36pm
Glad I kept out of it.

Posted By: cabosanlucas
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 9:47pm
3 zip, Does ange stay on?

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 9:57pm
Why wouldn't he stay on? He said his contract ends when Australia's World Cup campaign ends....pretty clear 

-------------

Posted By: Shrunk in the Wash
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 9:59pm
Good on ya Ange. Stuck it right up that moaning Rob Slater

Posted By: saintly96
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 10:07pm
Very good win. A really good campaign from the Socceroos. Only lost 1 game in 14.

Posted By: cabosanlucas
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Good on ya Ange. Stuck it right up that moaning Rob Slater

👍

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 10:18pm
Seriously, they are currently $310 on Betfair, to win in 2018. Iceland is better fancied.

Posted By: ExceedAndExcel
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 10:25pm

Seriously, they are currently $310 on Betfair, to win in 2018. Iceland is better fancied.

What can you lay them at (if anything)? They are no chance. And I don't mean that in a figurative way you might say it about some 50-1 pop at Sandown on Saturday. They are literally zero chance.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 10:31pm
$600 the lowest lay bid at the moment.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net