Forum Description: Thoughts about anything and everything
URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=41422
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 5:58am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Clive Palmer
Posted By: jujuno
Subject: Clive Palmer
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 2:21am
 Am being brainwashed up here at Palmer's Coolum Resort...formerly the Hyatt Regency Coolum...

the foyer is plastered with photos, caricatures, dedications to the owner...not exactly a photographer's dream model...

as well, when you turn on the TV there are three channels carrying his moniker...and when you go on them you are overwhelmed by endless interviews with the portly Palmer...as well as general propaganda from him...

think Wayne Swan better watch out...the Titanic is well and truly afloat...

-------------
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...

Replies:
Posted By: VOYAGER
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 6:55pm
At least you could enjoy the golf courses or water activities Jujuno!

I woke up in Goulburn this morning and we had two inches of snow. Snow in October! That global warming is reaching full effect now Confused

-------------
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 12:45am
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

I woke up in Goulburn this morning and we had two inches of snow. Snow in October! That global warming is reaching full effect now Confused

"that global warming" is dropping snow in Qld as well...frigging freezing winds today after a huge storm yesterday...I'm sitting in my room with a hot water bottle behind my back for warmth...

the other weird thing here is a channel on the resort TV which shows Titanic 24 hours a day...boy is this guy obsessed...it's called the Titanic channel...and all around are banners and posters with "The Blue Line" on them...

undefined

-------------

Posted By: Pazman
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 1:09am
Coolum is a health resort for fat people who need to lose weight.

Take a bike ride down to their private beach Jujuno if your fitness is up to it.

Posted By: Browndog
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 8:10am

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Browndog Browndog wrote:

undefined

yes...I would believe that pairing...good bedfellows...

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 9:29am
Originally posted by Pazman Pazman wrote:

Coolum is a health resort for fat people who need to lose weight.

Take a bike ride down to their private beach Jujuno if your fitness is up to it.

Health resort????.. not going by the food we've been eating....been coming here since the first week it opened, back in 88...always leave two kilos heavier despite the golf and bike-riding.....which did wonders for my bung knee yesterday...yes we rode over to the private beach....

actually I've never seen so many fit people in my life...certainly not at any racecourse...

-------------

Posted By: waggamick
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 9:32am
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

No doubt the bunkers are shaped as Clive's double chins hanging from the Clive's head shaped greens and every hole would be a dog leg.
Go to the beach and sit under the Palmer Trees....

The nouveau riche...no class.

-------------
The Dude Abides

Posted By: The Muffin Man
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Browndog Browndog wrote:

LOL

-------------
"Well, I will never post again, if the Oz dollar doesnt go below 80 cents within the year 2012." - Occy22

Posted By: ExceedAndExcel
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 3:58pm
If ever George Lucas decided to shoot a remake of the original Star Wars trilogy you;d have to think Clive Palmer would be on the short list for the role of Jabba The Hut.

Posted By: max manewer
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 4:07pm
Bloke is a real eccentric, but has shown foresight and long term thinking like few others.

Posted By: oneonesit
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Bloke is a real eccentric, but has shown foresight and long term thinking like few others.
Spot on Max...making a few eat their hats you could say !

-------------
Refer ALP Election Promises

Posted By: Gay3
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 6:07pm
How on Earth does this guy have his own political party when  a company of his (ore than one?) went A over, owing workers a fortune Confused
He/they are spending a fortune on nightly prime time adds!

-------------
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!

Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 6:20pm
Exactly Gay.

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 7:50pm
I posted expecting you guys to have the answer, even a 'smart' one would suffice, the last thing I expect is an agreeing query LOL
I'm sure PT & a couple of others will give us the ins & outs in due course Smile

-------------

Posted By: acacia alba
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 10:12pm
Cant wait to hear .   He let his workers down and owes them millions.  Did the shifty shuffle with some of his family off shore.  Adds costing a fortune.  What silly bugga would vote that crooked bastad in ??  

-------------
animals before people.

Posted By: Dr E
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 12:10am
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

I posted expecting you guys to have the answer, even a 'smart' one would suffice, the last thing I expect is an agreeing query LOL
I'm sure PT & a couple of others will give us the ins & outs in due course Smile

In a nutshell Gay, although he is being sued by the liquidator of Queensland Nickel, he has no "proven" personal liability for the losses of the business or to its creditors.

In the meantime, he won a big court case against a former Chinese partner and banked $200 million. He has even been talking about resurrecting QN ... he is mad enough to think that if he did that, he would get enough votes to grab a Senate seat.

He may just be on an ego trip too, trying to spend as much as he can, before the court judgment comes down against him ... if indeed it ever does.

There are people who are so naive and uninformed, that they would know nothing about him other than what they see in the ads, and he WILL get votes - that is the sad state of the country. Ouch

-------------
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 7:57am
Much appreciate the concise & easily understood explanation, many thanks Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Passing Through
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 8:13am
Could just mean that Clive, despite relentlessly being attacked by the govt and the media, was right all along, and he is seen as a huge danger to the LNP that had to be removed. Bit like Abbott getting Pauline Hanson locked up when she was consuming them. 

Clive is back baby. 

-------------

Posted By: Whale
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 9:48am
He is the fantasist who said he ran 11 seconds for 100 yards when he was 15 LOL

Came up with an original slogan too, "Drain The Swamp "

Not to mention his business practices Ouch

I usually agree with you PT but for the life of me I cannot understand your admiration for this guy.

-------------
Victor Orban 1.74 m, Michael Bloomberg 1.73 m, Emmanual Macron 1.77 m, George Soros 1.8 m

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 10:09am
No admiration Whale, but the truth matters.

You must remember his appearance on ABC 7:30 with Leigh Sales a few years ago where she dismantled him over an ongoing case he had with a Chinese mining company he claimed was ripping him off. The media and LNP politicians piled on and he was made to look ridiculous and dishonest. That is the case Doc referenced. It went on for a number of years until earlier this year when the Chinese company settled with him paying him $250 million cash. Haven't seen any media or politicians reporting this or apologising to him.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 10:23am
Actually he may have been 11 when he ran that 100 yards, can't remember whay he said.

I just get the impression he is an opportunistic, egotistical fantasist, no different from many politicians I guess.

Seems to make a lot of outrageous spending claims but nothing about how he will pay for them.

I am surprised Isaac has not posted about the winning court case in his Walkley award winning thread LOL

-------------
Victor Orban 1.74 m, Michael Bloomberg 1.73 m, Emmanual Macron 1.77 m, George Soros 1.8 m

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 11:14am
Dont forget his Titanic. 

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 11:22am
Palmer is no dummy politically. He had been a very prominent Liberal National figure in Qld and SA dating back to the 70's, has been a huge fundraiser for them, been campaign director for elections and was made a life member of the Qld party. 

Since being an independent he has hated the LNP(mostly Newman) and Labor equally, reflected in his voting record which was pretty close to 50/50, abstaining on votes that personally impacted his businesses. 

He may act the fool(was Trump before Trump) but he is a very serious guy and they should not take him for a fool.

-------------

Posted By: maccamax
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Palmer is no dummy politically. He had been a very prominent Liberal National figure in Qld and SA dating back to the 70's, has been a huge fundraiser for them, been campaign director for elections and was made a life member of the Qld party. 

Since being an independent he has hated the LNP(mostly Newman) and Labor equally, reflected in his voting record which was pretty close to 50/50, abstaining on votes that personally impacted his businesses. 

He may act the fool(was Trump before Trump) but he is a very serious guy and they should not take him for a fool.

Your probably right PT re his History .     But first and Foremost, You must admit Clive is Raving Mad.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 12:50pm
No doubt an eccentric character maxie. 

btw, it has been reported that construction on his Titanic has resumed. Not sure about his dinosaurs though.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 1:29pm

Maverick politician Clive Palmer confirms his favourite dinosaur at his resort has been destroyed by fire … but is too devastated to comment any further

• Clive Palmer's beloved dinosaur, T-Rex Jeff, has been destroyed in a fire
  • The Palmer United leader owns a Coolum resort which is also the world's largest dinosaur park
  • Jeff was an eight metre tall mechanical dinosaur with moving limbs and simulated breathing and growling
  • His "death" was a result of an electric fault which caused a spark
  • Reportedly named after former Queensland deputy premier Jeff Seen

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 1:33pm
Thoughts and prayers Cry

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 6:46pm
Wonder if he's sold off his extensive car collection ?

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 8:20pm
Insured?

-------------
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!

Posted By: maccamax
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

Insured?
      Insane        = where is Whale when I need him.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

hmmm ... sounds like you might be in the "undecided" column CNNPT.

... it's ok, I understand ... "Where's Billy" IS that unpalatable ...Dead

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 9:23pm

Clive Palmer's United Australia Party is sending voters unsolicited text messages

https://www.abc.net.au/science/" rel="nofollow - ABC Science
By technology reporter https://www.abc.net.au/news/ariel-bogle/9224490" rel="nofollow - Ariel Bogle and political reporter https://www.abc.net.au/news/matthew-doran/5511636" rel="nofollow - Matthew Doran
Updated

An unknown number of Australians received unsolicited text messages from Clive Palmer's United Australia Party on Friday, leaving many questioning how he got their number.

Key points:

• The unsolicited text messages were geographically targeted across Australia
  • The messages are permitted under the Electoral Act, the Australian Electoral Commission says
  • It's prompted calls to remove exemptions to the Privacy Act enjoyed by political parties

Mr Palmer is trying to make a political comeback after his short-lived tenure in Federal Parliament between 2013 and 2016.

His party did not immediately respond to questions about how the SMS contact list was obtained, but a number of those who opened them said they had "no idea" how it had happened.

Tanyia Harrison, who received the message in Melbourne, said it was "completely inappropriate".

Kelly Wong in Adelaide called it a "sneaky and inappropriate use of data", adding she was also unhappy about the lack of transparency around how her number was gathered in the first place.

"I hope this isn't the kind of thing we're going to see more of in the upcoming election campaign," Ms Harrison said.

The texts, which offer no clear way to unsubscribe, were geographically targeted across Australia.

In Victoria, one person was told "Fast trains for Melbourne. 1 hour to CBD from up to 300kms away. Vote 1 United Australia Party, Clive Palmer."

In South Australia, the message read: "Blackouts wreck our lives. We need affordable, reliable power" along with a link to his website.

Despite the online backlash, an Australian Electoral Commission spokesperson said such messages were permitted under the Electoral Act.

Political parties exempt from privacy laws

The incident spotlights the lack of regulation governing how political parties, as well as their contractors, can use the personal information of Australians without clear consent.

Their activities are broadly exempt from the Privacy Act, which Australian Privacy Foundation chair David Vaile said led to an "asymmetric" relationship between parties and the Australian public.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-11/an-unsolicited-text-from-clive-palmer-1/10709190" rel="nofollow"> An unsolicited text message from Clive Palmers Australia United Party says that "blackouts wreck our lives". https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-11/an-unsolicited-text-from-clive-palmer-1/10709190" rel="nofollow - Photo: The texts, which offer no clear way to unsubscribe, were geographically targeted across Australia - (ABC News)

"The parties can buy any commercial database ... they can use anything else they can get their hands on," he said.

The Australian Law Reform Commission recommended the exemption be repealed in 2008. Yet data collection, voter profiling and targeted messages are now synonymous with the modern political campaign.

At least one text recipient was on the Do Not Call register, but an Australian Communications and Media Authority spokesperson said non-commercial SMS, such as those about political matters, were generally allowed under the Do Not Call Register Act and the Spam Act.

Dr Vaile said the exemption from the Privacy Act enjoyed by political parties was never justified and should be removed.

He said the refusal to change the exemption set "a really bad example" for the country when it came to privacy.

Unsolicited text messages also caused a stir on the day of the 2016 federal election, when SMS messages, purportedly sent by Medicare, https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-02/mediscare-text-message-investigation-dropped-by-afp/7683390" rel="nofollow - claimed Malcolm Turnbull planned to privatise the system .

Palmer's comeback attempt not without controversy

Mr Palmer relaunched his Palmer United Party (PUP) as the United Australia Party (UAP), copying the name of a party that existed before 1945 and installed Joseph Lyons and Robert Menzies as prime ministers.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-11/fairfax-mp-clive-palmer-flicks-through-money-in-parliament/10709832" rel="nofollow"> Fairfax MP Clive Palmer flicks through money in Parliament https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-11/fairfax-mp-clive-palmer-flicks-through-money-in-parliament/10709832" rel="nofollow - Photo: Clive Palmer is hoping to return to Federal Parliament, after a short stint from 2013 to 2016. - (ABC: Nick Haggarty)

The businessman managed to recruit one parliamentary member to his party, https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-18/brian-burston-will-run-for-clive-palmers-party-next-election/9879984" rel="nofollow - welcoming former One Nation senator Brian Burston to the fold after his spectacular falling out with Pauline Hanson.

His return to the political sphere has come with controversy, as those hurt by the closure of his Townsville nickel refinery in 2016 https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-17/clive-palmer-splashing-cash-as-he-attempts-political-comeback/10243712" rel="nofollow - criticised him for splashing cash on billboards and advertising campaigns when they remain out of pocket.

Mr Palmer has labelled attempts by liquidators to pursue him and others for millions of dollars after the refinery collapse as a "witch-hunt", arguing he owes nothing.

His political advertising has also raised the ire of US rock band Twisted Sister, https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-02/clive-palmer-twisted-sister-song-use-legal-action-threat/10680234" rel="nofollow - who claimed he ripped off their song for television commercials — another claim Mr Palmer denies.

The UAP did not respond to further request for comment by deadline.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-11/clive-palmer-sign-in-mt-lawley/10709206" rel="nofollow"> A grey suburban building with a bright yellow sign saying Make Australia Great, with a photo of Clive Palmer and flag. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-11/clive-palmer-sign-in-mt-lawley/10709206" rel="nofollow - Photo: Clive Palmer has been splashing cash on billboards and advertising campaigns - (ABC News: Jessica Strutt)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-11/clive-palmer-sign-in-mt-lawley/10709206" rel="nofollow - - https://abc.net.au/news/2019-01-11/clive-palmer-united-australia-party-unsolicited-text-messages/10709106?fbclid=IwAR0wglj0zCOsgw1cGjNPYjCyuGwbGCHVzrF5eiRczuo7XarRX7zmJsEY_jA" rel="nofollow - https://abc.net.au/news/2019-01-11/clive-palmer-united-australia-party-unsolicited-text-messages/10709106?fbclid=IwAR0wglj0zCOsgw1cGjNPYjCyuGwbGCHVzrF5eiRczuo7XarRX7zmJsEY_jA

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 7:54am
Clive doing a Trump/Russia/Cambridge Analytica targeting operation? Wink

I am disappointed I didn't get one. Many people I talk to on twitter did. Some were bemused, a couple of lawyers were upset they got them, but said he did nothing wrong.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 11:13pm
he pops up on youtube before you can watch whatever you want. So tired of being bombarded. I even got an sms on my phone, from him. 

If I mention his name, my daughter immediately says: "That's the nutcase who destroyed Coolum."

I think that sums him up...

-------------

Posted By: djebel
Date Posted: 21 May 2019 at 6:00pm

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 21 May 2019 at 6:10pm
Do you think Clive might be on a wink, wink, nudge, nudge down the track ? Heard a few suggesting that.

-------------

Posted By: horlicks
Date Posted: 21 May 2019 at 7:42pm
He has a mining tenement adjacent to the proposed Adani mine.

I think he has indicated he will be trying to get a licence to mine there.

Date Posted: 21 May 2019 at 7:47pm
I posted the story in another thread last week. Here it is again.

Clive Palmer seeks approval for 'monster mine' next door to Adani

By national environment, technology and science reporter  https://www.abc.net.au/news/michael-slezak/9641812" rel="nofollow - Michael Slezak

Updated 26 Apr 2018, 3:16pm

Clive Palmer has sought federal environmental approval for a huge greenfield coal mine in central Queensland, which documents suggest could produce 33 per cent more coal than Adani's controversial and delayed Carmichael mine

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-26/clive-palmer-seeks-approval-for-monster-mine-near-adani/9698680?fbclid=IwAR0Vo3aWVkDULwC2jpNhha3-0YZIF16BKGCVkZtr9dMe28IU8Ya4-fGpNxk" rel="nofollow - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-26/clive-palmer-seeks-approval-for-monster-mine-near-adani/9698680?fbclid=IwAR0Vo3aWVkDULwC2jpNhha3-0YZIF16BKGCVkZtr9dMe28IU8Ya4-fGpNxk

-------------

Date Posted: 21 May 2019 at 7:52pm
I think that would be more than reasonable all things considered.

-------------

Posted By: rusty nails
Date Posted: 21 May 2019 at 8:11pm
Of course deferment of royalties should be for a minimum of 20 years.......

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 11:53am
Paid his wife $135 million through a shelf company while ripping of workers, nice Ouch

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net