Topic: Noel Callow
Posted By: Blaster
Subject: Noel Callow
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 9:16am
Back Riding in Victoria this weekend Clap  Clap  Clap

Replies:
Posted By: Morgan Dollar
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 11:34am
Great to hear, any idea on how long he's saying Blaster..?

-------------
Go The Dollar..!

Posted By: Timbertim
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 2:06pm
N Callow, one of the best jockeys "ever".
Knew his old man Kevin, who was no slouch himself one of SA's best riders in the 80,s.
Noel has the wood on his old man though, could win on a wheel barrow.Clap

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 2:13pm
I Don't know how long MD only hope it's a long time "King Callow" has won me heaps (Onya Smasher) LOL

Posted By: Martin17
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 8:57pm

Nuts Callow, 1 of the best in the business... Especially in a tight finish. Still remember the day he rode 4 winners on Werribee Cup day, was one of my rare trips to Victoria for a Cup meet. Cant remember the name of the last winner that day but it was around even money (one of the Freedy/Slade horses) & he just about carrried it over the line...

-------------
Of the T Variety

Posted By: Xolento
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 11:42am

'King' Callow preparing for Victorian return
Brad Waters
Monday, 21 February 2011

Melbourne’s already burgeoning riding ranks have been boosted further by the return to Australia of experienced international rider Noel Callow.

Callow has ridden with great success throughout Asia over the past few years with his success in Singapore, where he won the 2007 jockeys’ premiership, prompting the tough local punters to dub the Victorian “King Callow”.

Callow said he last rode in Malaysia “about three weeks ago” before he and his family decided to return to Australia, this time for good.

“The family probably got a bit sick of living in Asia,” Callow said. “I might go back there for their main carnival in June but for us there is no more Malaysia.”

The Group I-winning jockey said his fitness is “really good” leading into his comeback to the Victorian racing scene, which he said was likely to happen at the Pakenham Cup meeting on March 6.

Callow rode in eight unofficial trials for trainers such as Lee Freedman at Balnarring on Friday before riding in seven heats at Monday’s Cranbourne trials.

The 35-year-old will resume his Victorian career riding at 56kg and is keen to resume his place as one of the state’s top jockeys.

“I’m not based anywhere as such,” Callow said. “I’m just ready to do my best and if I can earn a good wage, then I will be happy.

“Things have changed a bit since I was last here but I’ll just get back amongst it.”

Trainers wishing to book Callow once he resumes riding can contact his manager Phillip Roost on 0439 900 726.

-------------
http://aust-breds.com.au/

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 11:43am
his family decided to return to Australia, this time for good

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 12:39pm
very very interesting that he has picked up one and only ride in Sydney today... on board Centennial Park in the Chipping Norton...

-------------
Go The Dollar..!

Posted By: crystal ball
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 6:38pm
yeah family, families go alright, should try it sometime.

Posted By: magic_idol
Date Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 7:46pm
The man is a very very good jock ,
If he dosn't want to talk tvn thats his choice tvn dosn't pay the bills
People allways whinge but very realy do they walk in other people's shoesConfused
Or listen for that matter!!!!LOL

-------------
Happy Fit Horses Win Races :-)

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 12:32pm

Noel Callow flew out for India on Thursday night after being suspended for careless riding at Ballarat the same day.So much for his family deciding to return to Australia for good Xolento  Big smile

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 1:07pm
guess the Mrs got overruled Wink

-------------

Posted By: The Insider
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 9:37pm
singapore, Malaysia, India ????.....It is looking like he is heeding down instead of up. Where will he pop up next.....Apparently Vietnam is racing now, so he can go there next

Date Posted: 05 May 2011 at 2:28pm
and we have 3 day carnivals where the emphasis is to get pissed and locked up.

Date Posted: 05 May 2011 at 5:11pm
He hasnt hit rock bottom yet, he hasnt ridden in adelaide.

Posted By: mouse
Date Posted: 05 May 2011 at 10:32pm
his dad did,and did well!

Date Posted: 07 May 2011 at 1:00pm
thats when adelaide racing had some dignity. its well and truly up sh*t creek these days.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 12:53pm
Noel's back in town (Melbourne)

-------------
He's Not Heavy,It's My Brother

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 6:46pm
Riding @ Bairnsdale Sunday Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 10:19am
Get him on Smart Missile!!

-------------
Go The Dollar..!

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 10:20am
Too Heavy

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 3:20pm
Has been on fire lately in the provincials..

treble already at B/Dale already today from 4 races...

why is he only riding at provincial meetings...?

his choice or cant get a ride in town?

surely not the latter

-------------
Go The Dollar..!

Posted By: Tassie Tiger
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 10:52pm
Strong win in the last at Pakenham yesterday for Mick Price, hopefully that will open the door for him in Melbourne.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 1:32pm
Back in Victoria for good this time

-------------

Posted By: mouse
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 8:45pm
higher weight scale will help

Posted By: subastral
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 2:24pm
Nasty barrier mishap in the first at Werribee. Looked like he has broken a leg/ankle. Was in severe pain on the ground. Hope he is ok.

Posted By: djebel
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 2:26pm
Would not be surprised if he broke his wrist the way he punched the ground.

I wonder is L'Esprit will stay an entire for much longer, he was wetter than Sydney.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Would not be surprised if he broke his wrist the way he punched the ground.

I wonder is L'Esprit will stay an entire for much longer, he was wetter than Sydney.

Lol, very true.

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 2:30pm
Suspected broken leg

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 1:16pm
Good Luck for the king,No broken bones,Just a lot of bruises...out for about 2 weeeks

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 5:52pm
He is absolutely flying at the moment. Deserves more chances in town, especially at this time of year. He is racking them up during the week. Always gives a good interview also on TVN. Clearly still a lad, but gives some good insights into the horses ability.

Posted By: Gently
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 5:57pm
Seriously good jockey

Posted By: SkyDancer
Date Posted: 24 May 2016 at 11:56pm
Callow finds trouble in Mauritius

Australian jockey https://www.racing.com/jockeys/noel-callow" rel="nofollow - http://www.mauritiusturfclub.com/index.php/en/?option=com_mtc_videos&do=flv&file=2016-98-300.flv" rel="nofollow - The 41-year-old was still riding in Australia in March before embarking on his latest stint in Mauritius.

Callow has ridden extensively overseas, spending time in places like Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia and Macau.

Callow tasted Group 1 success four times in Australia, with In Top Swing (2003 Caulfield Guineas), Al Maher (2005 Australian Guineas), Benicio (2005 Victoria Derby) and Apache Cat (2006 Australian Guineas).

Posted By: Go Flash Go
Date Posted: 24 May 2016 at 11:59pm
LOL what does it mean in  "Mauritius".

Posted By: Sir Gov
Date Posted: 25 May 2016 at 12:00am
Looked harsh based on the straight run

Posted By: 3blindmice
Date Posted: 25 May 2016 at 12:24am
agree

Date Posted: 25 May 2016 at 12:44am
And Greg Ryan walks away scot free from a ride far far worse.

Posted By: Nocturnal
Date Posted: 25 May 2016 at 5:38pm
Maybe our blokes should send a replay to them of the Bolshoi bandit race for assessment

-------------
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....

Posted By: Shawy38
Date Posted: 20 May 2018 at 1:55pm
Jockey Noel Callow has been cautioned by stewards at Flemington for his conduct in a post-race interview after winning the third event on Eclair Calling.

Callow grabbed the microphone from Racing.com's Dean Pettit after the race and instead of talking about his win, gave a plug for a car mechanic business, complete with phone number.

Acting chief steward Robert Cram said he reminded Callow that such demonstrations could clash with the racing club's own sponsorship arrangements and that he must desist from doing so in the future.

Posted By: Gay3
Date Posted: 20 May 2018 at 2:06pm
He had to didn't he? LOL I think they were quite lenient on him, for once.

-------------
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!

Posted By: Sneck
Date Posted: 20 May 2018 at 2:13pm
The post race interviews are a wankfest don't think I've ever heard anything of merit out of a jockey.

Date Posted: 20 May 2018 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Sneck Sneck wrote:

The post race interviews are a wankfest don't think I've ever heard anything of merit out of a jockey.

I'd include the trainers in that, they comment i what we have already seen.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: Xavier
Date Posted: 20 May 2018 at 2:28pm
Can't stand Callow's interviews.
I normally mute them.

-------------
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes

Posted By: VOYAGER
Date Posted: 20 May 2018 at 4:50pm
Yeah I think it is overkill!

You get the jockey saying what he did to Dean on the horse coming back. Then when they get to the scales the jockey is asked the exact same questions.

People say Hong Kong's coverage is the best, and I do not recall any on course interviews being conducted.

Similar to the footy where players are questioned as they walk off at half time. I tell the reporter to stick their microphone, but that is just me.   

-------------
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise

Date Posted: 20 May 2018 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

He had to didn't he? LOL I think they were quite lenient on him, for once.

Agree Gay. Pity Callow's riding doesn't match his mouth. The racing.com presenters are partly to blame for their puerile playing up of clowning around by jockeys (and themselves). Mouawad medal I think they call it. Nothing wrong with the concept but egging on Callow et al has become a game in itself.

Posted By: Synthetic
Date Posted: 20 May 2018 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Originally posted by Sneck Sneck wrote:

I'd include the trainers in that, they comment i what we have already seen.

What about when a trainer explains where the horse is headed next and gives an assessment of the run in the context of those plans? No appeal?

Date Posted: 20 May 2018 at 8:42pm
[QUOTE=VOYAGER] Yeah I think it is overkill!

You get the jockey saying what he did to Dean on the horse coming back. Then when they get to the scales the jockey is asked the exact same questions.

- they only do one or the other not both...it's either an interview from the pony OR an interview at the Scales

Posted By: Brudder_A
Date Posted: 21 May 2018 at 4:50am
How about leaving the winning jockey alone after the race???

Not everyone wants to verbally explain what they just physically especially of the questioning is futile.

I could imagine having interviews with punters after their odds/on lock failed to materialize.

Posted By: maccamax
Date Posted: 21 May 2018 at 7:04am
   If they want an interested audience they should interview the winning rider ,   before the race.

Date Posted: 21 May 2018 at 9:16am
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

If they want an interested audience they should interview the winning rider ,   before the race.

it's just not achievable.
There are time constraints on jockeys' preparations prior to a race including meeting the trainer and connections prior to mounting up.
You would also have to accurately predict who is going to win the race.
Whilst there are more interviews behind the barriers during the carnivals, it frustrates jockeys, Stewards and barrier attendants when it interferes with loading.

Date Posted: 21 May 2018 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Brudder_A Brudder_A wrote:

How about leaving the winning jockey alone after the race???

Not everyone wants to verbally explain what they just physically especially of the questioning is futile.

I could imagine having interviews with punters after their odds/on lock failed to materialize.

The vast majority of feedback is the opposite. The racing public enjoy hearing from the jockey, particularly after a significant win.

Date Posted: 21 May 2018 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Synthetic Synthetic wrote:

There are time constraints on jockeys' preparations prior to a race including meeting the trainer and connections prior to mounting up.
Whilst there are more interviews behind the barriers during the carnivals, it frustrates jockeys, Stewards and barrier attendants when it interferes with loading.

I hear the sound of rushing wind.

But back to reality...
No behind the barrier interview that I've seen has ever interfered with loading, nor has any jockey appeared to be concerned, let alone frustrated.

Nothing wrong with post race interviews. They aren't provided as pointers, they exist to capture jockey excitement (esp on big days), and in Vic for Dean Pettit to blow wind up their proverbials. Beaten jockey comments are often quite useful.

Posted By: mc41
Date Posted: 21 May 2018 at 5:33pm
Owner is in HK. Would be nice to hear in the excitement what the jock has to say

Not plugging his mates business

Date Posted: 21 May 2018 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

I hear the sound of rushing wind.

But back to reality...
No behind the barrier interview that I've seen has ever interfered with loading, nor has any jockey appeared to be concerned, let alone frustrated.

Nothing wrong with post race interviews. They aren't provided as pointers, they exist to capture jockey excitement (esp on big days), and in Vic for Dean Pettit to blow wind up their proverbials. Beaten jockey comments are often quite useful.

Have been involved with communications between Jockeys' Assoc, Stewards & Barrier Atnds that state otherwise 3BM.
There are also some race starts where it is not possible to get the pony to.
Do however attempt to get jockeys to give a rundown of their rides prior to races on the Carnival days.

Date Posted: 21 May 2018 at 8:26pm
I'll take your word for it. It's a relatively new practice so some jockeys may still be having trouble adjusting. Next time you see an example - esp of interference with loading - let us know because they'd be as rare as hens teeth from my viewing experience.

Date Posted: 21 May 2018 at 9:05pm

I'll take your word for it. It's a relatively new practice so some jockeys may still be having trouble adjusting. Next time you see an example - esp of interference with loading - let us know because they'd be as rare as hens teeth from my viewing experience.

Prior to every race we get confirmation of how long we can have, which depends on loading order...it's when we go over that mark and there's a disruption to loading that it is communicated back at the end of the Raceday. This happened on about 3-4 occasions during the Spring & Autumn of this season. From our end it usually happens when a pre-race trainer interview has run over,
Glad to hear it hasn't been noticeable.
Agree re. Post race beaten jockey interviews...really informative. Agreement in place that it's only Group 1 events and major Carnival races

Date Posted: 21 May 2018 at 10:01pm

Prior to every race we get confirmation of how long we can have, which depends on loading order...it's when we go over that mark and there's a disruption to loading that it is communicated back at the end of the Raceday. This happened on about 3-4 occasions during the Spring & Autumn of this season. From our end it usually happens when a pre-race trainer interview has run over,
Agree re. Post race beaten jockey interviews...really informative. Agreement in place that it's only Group 1 events and major Carnival races

Not sure why a pre-race trainer (or jockey) interview would have any effect on horses getting to barriers and being loaded on time but if it does that suggests racing.com incompetence. Most of them happen after horses leave the mounting yard.

The latter suggests the tail is wagging the dog and is just another area where NSW has left Vic behind.

Date Posted: 21 May 2018 at 10:21pm

Not sure why a pre-race trainer (or jockey) interview would have any effect on horses getting to barriers and being loaded on time but if it does that suggests racing.com incompetence. Most of them happen after horses leave the mounting yard.

The latter suggests the tail is wagging the dog and is just another area where NSW has left Vic behind.

I tried to answer your queries with clear answers, but your comments are ridiculous and offensive so that's enough.
If you genuinely want to understand...time it backwards from the last horse entering the gates and you might see the time constraints on interviews and the mounting yard coverage. Interesting that NSW coverage is currently under review to more closely emulate what is done down in Melbourne. 

Date Posted: 21 May 2018 at 10:40pm
Which comments are ridiculous? Trainers aren't generally interviewed until AFTER horses have been mounted and are heading to the barriers, jockeys are sometimes interviewed behind the gates before they are called up. It's up to the starter and lead attendants to call them in on time. Not easy when one or two play up because you don't want them standing in barriers waiting for the starting time to tick over but it's not rocket surgery.

Getting a brief comment from jockeys about how their mounts went is no intrusion and should be in place for all Sydney and Melb Sat races. Occasionally a jockey declines but in Sydney at least it's pretty standard practice.

Posted By: Batman
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 4:41pm
Ah, so typical. After burning bridges in Victoria, Noel Callow has turned up in Qld to try to resurrect his flagging career. Good luck mate and try to keep away from the bad influences. I give him 4 months before heading back to Vic.

-------------
Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.

Posted By: TJMitchell
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 5:01pm
Riding one of mine on Saturday LOL

-------------
Time is a flat circle

Posted By: Pardon_My_Dust
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 7:27pm
Well you're in luck beccause he's a great jock! Very underrated but I didn't realise why he never got any decent rides but it made sense that he must have an attitude problem. Shame because he really can ride.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 7:49pm
He lost me when interwiewed a few years ago, stating he doesn't like horses but it's all he was brought up to do Ermm

-------------

Posted By: Second Chance
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 7:55pm
Anyone else got their hobnail boots on?

Posted By: ExceedAndExcel
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 11:54pm
Never liked the guy after reading a stewards report from Mooney Valley about 15 years ago where he had kicked a horse. 

Posted By: adolphus twirk
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 12:30pm
Bloody good rider. He has ridden for me.  I put him on because he can ride not because he is politically correct. Hope he wins the Stradbroke.

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 2:39pm

Veteran jockey Noel Callow is hopeful daughter Stacey will make her riding debut around Christmas time.

Callow, who is completing her apprenticeship in South Australia, has already contested around 90 jumpouts as she builds up to her first race ride.

The young rider missed out on entry into Victoria's apprentice program, so decided to move interstate to follow her career.

It's the same path trod by Jett Stanley, son of Brent, who moved to Western Australia to start his apprenticeship.

Callow senior, who recently moved to Queensland to ride, said the decision to not allow Stacey into Victoria's apprentice program and the handling of an incident at Kilmore were the two main reasons behind his shift north.

"That made me upset and displeasured because I thought, not that racing owes me anything, but being a jockey for 27 years in Victoria, I thought it was like a footballer, father-son, father-daughter," Callow said of Stacey missing the program.

However, Callow revealed his daughter is thriving across the border in SA.

"Yeah, good," Callow said when asked as to how Stacey is going with her riding.

"(There's) no mad rush but I'm pretty sure she'll be riding around Christmas time in Adelaide. She's apprenticed to Jon O'Connor over there.

"She's done about 90 jumpouts there. She gets signed up 1st of August, I think, then she rides in trials, she's going alright."

Callow also vented his frustration at the handling of an incident at Kilmore, where he was alcohol and drug tested after stewards became aware of a tweet from an unnamed source alleging that Callow was indulging in drugs and alcohol prior to the meeting, allegations which he says were 'a lie'.

He was due to ride favourite Diamonds'n'stones from Team Hawkes when he was asked to provide the samples.

Callow says that was the straw that broke the camel's back for him with Victorian racing.

"The tweet annoyed me and then it's the way they handled it," Callow said.

"I'm going out to ride $1.70 favourite for Hawkes and they drug-tested me, alcohol-tested me, I went out there frazzled and still won on it. They should have done it after the event."

Callow these days is enjoying life on the Gold Coast and has ridden 17 winners there this season.

"I just enjoy going to work," he said.

"At home it was just a grind a bit I just find it a lot more relaxed here."

The internationally successful jockey has four rides coming up on Wednesday at Eagle Farm, including Embers (Race 8), a filly who he has partnered at her past two starts.

"Embers is going well. I didn't give it a good ride at the Gold Coast and then had every chance with 59 kilos the other day, it ran third I think, it's a little bit down in the weights, it's got a chance," Callow said.

-------------
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2021 at 6:56pm
Jeez just many classes above the jocks at Rocky today. Two rides for three winners and the one that lost he rode a treat.

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 5:12pm
Love or hate him, this really is a ripper read whether a racing enthusiast or not Clap
Sorry, copy/paste:

https://www.punters.com.au/news/a-jockey-of-the-week-with-noel-callow_199759/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Punters+Newsletter+July+16&utm_content=punters.com.au%2Fnews%2Fa-jockey-of-the-week-with-noel-callow_199759%2F&utm_source=comms.punters.com.au

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 5:27pm
Thanks Gay,  A good read, as you'd expect. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 5:46pm
Very surprised Al Maher is the best horse he has ridden in Australia. 

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 5:12pm
King Callow giving them another bath at the Gold Coast today. Beer

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 5:16pm
Quote I didn't have another ride for him until Benicio in the Derby, three or four races later, and he was still seething. He didn't really talk to me and then the bell rang for the Derby and he said to me, 'put this in the first three and don't hit it with the stick too much'. I settled him about third-last and was into him with the whip from about the 600m to the post.

LOL

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 3:12pm
Noel's daughter Stacey has just ridden her first winner, on her first day of riding at Ceduna (SA)

-------------

Posted By: Passing Through
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 3:17pm
I hope she is better behaved with a microphone than dad.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 4:11pm
You'd certainly never know what he'd say next with a microphone in his hand.

And at the risk of offending some, he won the crowd over at a sporting night we attended some time ago where engaging in a humorous verbal tit-for-tat with another celebrity.  He took hold of the mic, asked the celeb to stand up, placed the mic behind his adversaries rear end, and announced to the audience "now you'll be able to better hear what he's saying". Boom-boom.  Shocked Tongue

Posted By: Passing Through
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 5:27pm
Not to be outdone dad has ridden a double today so far.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 5:37pm
I judge jocks by their rides, not personality. Callow is elite.

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 5:52pm
Great to hear  PMD.  However are you suggesting discussion about his personality, often whimsical as it is, should be off limits on here?

ps can't quite see where anyone's been judgemental in recent posts. Wink

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 6:10pm
No definitely not suggesting anything. From what I've heard he's a bit of a wanka, so be it. Great jock, especially against the second stringers in QLD.

Posted By: Batman
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 6:47am
Now that his old boss Robbie Laing is getting his trainers license back, will King Callow return to Melbourne? Wink

-------------
Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.

Posted By: Bonjour
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 9:09am
Nah, there a few bankrupts training in QLD so why go back to Mexico and ride for another? Life's great here in Cactus country.

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 9:51am
I doubt he'll come back to Victoria after the incident with the stewards last year.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 3:14pm
In the article someone posted he was saying how much he wanted the change of life warmer weather etc. The only thing that may bring him back down is his daughter.

I've said it before and I'll say it over and over again. EXTREMELY underrated jockey. No matter how much of a Wayne Kerr he is.

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 4:22pm
Stacey is living with Noels parents in Adelaide so he might go to SA at some stage. 

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 9:38am
Jeez he'll be an even higher cut above the SA jocks I think they are the worst of the five main states of racing. A lot of cowboys and cowgirls in SA, very rare that you don't have a 100/1 pop take off at the 1000m and pour the pressure on. 

Posted By: theshu25
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 10:26am
                                                           And they think nothing of sitting 4 and 5 wide the whole race.I used to like betting in SA,  never again,they are as bad and rough as Tasmania.

-------------
theshu

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 10:36am
Funny you should say that mate because I've given the state the flick as well, other than backing Phillip Stokes horses with either Kayla Crowther or G Lo on board. I used to make a fine earning out of Jess Eaton but even her riding has gone pear shaped lately.

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2021 at 12:44pm

For many of those in the industry racing is a family affair, and for the Callows, that couldnt be more true.

Champion jockey Noel and apprentice daughter Stacey combined for a rare feat at Strathalbyn yesterday, becoming one of a very select few father and daughter combinations to ride in the same race.

They first clashed in a benchmark 54 handicap over 1600 metres; Stacey aboard the Darren Magro-trained Alphaeus, father Noel riding the Phillip Stokes-trained race favourite Mustari.

Though neither Callow rode the winner, it was Stacey who came away with bragging rights over her old man, finishing in fourth place.

Its great, shes come a long way and shes got a long way to go, but it was a good experience, and well enjoy it, Noel Callow said of riding against his daughter.

I saw her up the front there driving the bus, it was good, a really good experience.

I just pulled up to her and I said, howd you go love? and she was pretty happy with the way she rode it so that was the main thing.

It was a moment Stacey had dreamed of, ever since watching her Group 1 winning Dad ride as a child.

Ive been looking forward to it for a long time, growing up and watching him do it is something that I always wanted to do, so yeah its very exciting, Stacey Callow said.

I didnt really see him because I was up the front, and he was at the back!

And while Noel Callow was solely focussed on steering his mount to victory, he admits he couldnt help but have a thought of Stacey in the back of his mind.

Im paid to do a job so of course Ill do my job; Ill still give 100 per cent , he said.

Its nervous to watch, but Ive been doing it for 30 years so I dont get nervous I'm too old for that, but its nervous to watch her because I can see whats going to happen before it happens.

Noels father, and Staceys grandfather Kevin, whom she lives with in Adelaide, was trackside to witness the historic moment in South Australian racing.

Im very proud of both these guys, they go quite well, he said.

-------------

Posted By: Brudder_A
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2021 at 3:53pm
Stacey Callow on Al Samenu 25/1 R2 Port Lincoln

ThanksForComing to SAGreat.. Mate!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net