Forum Description: General discussion about thoroughbred horse racing
URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=30029
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 2:25am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Expensive Flops
Posted By: Morgan Dollar
Subject: Expensive Flops
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 2:08pm

Just doing for for tomorrows races (yeah busy day at work) and i came accross a horse called GRAVITAS in the 4th at Seymour, had a look through this 5yo Geldings form and he is a maiden after 16 unflattering starts and has even managed a FF in a trial... Has been tried over the hurdles and has a poor rating of 46... then i noticed he was purchased for a cool $1.5 mill back in 2007 at an Inglis sale...

It just got me thinking of very expensive 'flops' in this unpredictable game that is horse racing!

Another that comes to mind is the regally bred DEJAVU ROCK who was bought for a lazy $3.3 million and has managed just the one win on a Sunday at Orange and at her most recent start ran a 62.6L last at Bairnsdale...

SHOOT THROUGH who is the younger brother of Alinghi, amassed $2.2 million in the ring and only just broke his maiden duck at a midweek Doomben meet to take his 11 start earnings to $15,375, so just shy of his price tag!

One more i can think of whos running at Gawler today is BAKARJE DIVA an half sister to Makybe and a full sister to Musket, bought for $1.8 million and is still a maiden (but shows promise) after 5 runs..

The ones mentioned above are all current runners and may come good but are still a fair way of justifying their prices!! They may come good however... (just to cover myself if they turn into stars Smile)

What other expensive under achieving horses can you think of past and present..? and have you ever had the pleasure and spare change to have a share in any...? 

-------------
Go The Dollar..!

Replies:
Posted By: TOLEDO
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 2:10pm
Mount Olympus, now with darren smith at Newcastle

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by TOLEDO TOLEDO wrote:

Mount Olympus, now with darren smith at Newcastle

Good one, in my blackbook as well for some reason Confused

-------------
Go The Dollar..!

Posted By: Wortel
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 2:17pm
Perfect Persausion.

Barwaardi

Lighthorseman

Posted By: TOLEDO
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 2:23pm
Wasn't Metallurgical expensive as well?

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 2:27pm
yeah over a million, then had to be gelded.. was gonna put him in but he did put me a few hundred in front melb cup day so thought id go easy on him Thumbs Up

-------------
Go The Dollar..!

Posted By: Raoul Duke
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 2:32pm
Good thread.

Lonhroson (5yo g, Lonhro x Palme D'or) sold for a million bucks and hasn't placed in any of his 8 starts. Won $1,780.

-------------
"He is a savage horse. Absolutely savage."

Posted By: antlowes
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 2:35pm
have a look at a horse named the green monkey from the us - biggest flop ever

Posted By: Afros
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 2:35pm
Sun Ruler, cost $2mil and has won $18,000 back...

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by antlowes antlowes wrote:

have a look at a horse named the green monkey from the us - biggest flop ever

$16 Million!!! Dead thats  crazy, but then again thats only the price of one of Cristiano Ronaldos legs Confused

Thanks Raoul as well Thumbs Up

-------------
Go The Dollar..!

Posted By: Glenmore
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 2:46pm
Recall that the Green Monkey was the centre of a bidding dual between Godolphin and Coolmore with both sides too proud (and stupid) to pull out and let the other 'win'--by the time common sense arrived on the scene a lot of damage had been done.  He had supposedly breezed up in some sensational time prior to the sale--bet the vendors are still having a good laugh.

Posted By: antlowes
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 2:51pm

Was retired after 3 winless starts - stood somewhere for $5k - only needs to serve 3200 mares to get the $16m back - bet he's keen to give it a crack though :) 

Posted By: andynr123
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 2:52pm
The story of Snaafi Dancer is just as funny. Bought by Sheikh Mohammed when he was just starting out, he wanted a foundation sire for his American stud so he bought Snaafi Dancer (a son of Northern Dancer) for $10m.

Apparently, he was such a bad racehorse that they retired him to stud without ever racing. Then he had fertility problems, siring four foals in two years! Sheikh Mohammed still did alright though...

Of all the $1m+ yearlings sold in Australia, the only one to recoup their purchase price on the racetrack is Samantha Miss. 

-------------
http://http://www.scmp.com/author/andrew-hawkins" rel="nofollow - The Griffin

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by andynr123 andynr123 wrote:

The story of Snaafi Dancer is just as funny. Bought by Sheikh Mohammed when he was just starting out, he wanted a foundation sire for his American stud so he bought Snaafi Dancer (a son of Northern Dancer) for $10m.

Apparently, he was such a bad racehorse that they retired him to stud without ever racing. Then he had fertility problems, siring four foals in two years! Sheikh Mohammed still did alright though...

Of all the $1m+ yearlings sold in Australia, the only one to recoup their purchase price on the racetrack is Samantha Miss. 

Is that actuall fact..?

-------------
Go The Dollar..!

Posted By: Znatchy
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 3:22pm
Without any facts or stats, it seems that anything Simon O'Donnell or Shane Crawford buy turn out to be slow horses.  Save Bauer's lip second in the MC I suppose.

Posted By: BLU44
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 3:43pm
I have a vague recollection of a horse named Paint the Stars, purchased as a yearling for over $800k. It was owned by Robert Holmes a'Court,and I was surprised to find on checking that its failure at the track was in the early '80s (confirms my advanced age!), which I reckon makes it the Prince of Flops, given subsequent inflation.
PtS was apparently a bit more successful in the breeding barn

Posted By: fritta101
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 3:52pm
Wasn't Equivocal, one of hayes sprinters from a cpl of years ago an expensive young horse that failed to flatter also???

Posted By: Campaspe
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 4:23pm
Colombia.

Posted By: Marky
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 4:24pm
Rockstardom. Absolute lemon.

Posted By: Znatchy
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 4:27pm
Musket.  Sold for $2.5 mill and I don't think he won a Group Race.  Might have snuck one in but generally raced below expectations.  Not sure what his stallion fee is.

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Morgan Dollar Morgan Dollar wrote:

Is that actuall fact..?

For sure it is.

Horses like Manhattan Rain and Haradasun never went through the sales.

Posted By: James0330
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 4:34pm
Musket won a G2 in Sydney but was never good enough to take the next step so i'd say he was a flop.

Posted By: Gee Gee
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 4:38pm
Was seventh reason the 2 mil hors at Gais?

The stable also had RacingToWin's brother. forgot the name

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 4:40pm
Yeah but something like Seventh Reason will get that back if he performs at stud.

Great pedigree and should have every chance.

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 4:53pm
yes thats true, also singo has plenty of mares for him.

Posted By: DiamondsAtDusk
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 5:19pm
What about horses like Largo Lad & Von Costa De Hero? perhaps not huge purchase prices but certainly sold for a pretty penny only to do nothing there on in, what was the eurell horse that was transfered to Hayes?

-------------
We Started Nothing.

Posted By: Afros
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 5:21pm
I was going to mention Von Costa De Hero, but he won $1.15 mil and cost $2 mil, so he wasn't a disaster as others mentioned have been, and he'll be well out in front after a few stud seasons...

Posted By: Run For Fun
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Wortel Wortel wrote:

Yeah but something like Seventh Reason will get that back if he performs at stud.  Great pedigree and should have every chance.

Sham sale to some extent.

Trialled at Albury of all places the other day: 2nd of 4. Has either been sold (still listed under initial ownership) or down there with Cavanagh for re-education. 

Would have to improve out of sight to attract decent mares other than Singo's.

-------------
It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers

Posted By: DiamondsAtDusk
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by DiamondsAtDusk DiamondsAtDusk wrote:

what was the eurell horse that was transfered to Hayes?

Shrewd Rhythm i think it was!

-------------
We Started Nothing.

Posted By: VSP.
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by DiamondsAtDusk DiamondsAtDusk wrote:

......what was the eurell horse that was transfered to Hayes?
Shrewd Rhythm

Posted By: troppo75
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 5:52pm

In February, 2004, Lago Delight was sold for a seven figure sum to a syndicate headed by David Hayes and joined the stable of Lindsay Park

The entire had only one run for the Hayes’ syndicate, finishing ninth in the 2004 Group 1 Australia Stakes (1200m, Moonee Valley) before injuries ended his career. Marconi bought the horse back off the syndicate and sent him to stand at Bombora Downs, on the Mornington Peninsula.

-------------
Now having passed 1000 posts I feel you are all so much the wiser for my having said... stuff!

Posted By: Flight
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 6:16pm
Noticed 8yr old gelding Goldtown (Sunday Silence - Bright Finish) will be at Ascot on Saturday.

$1.5m yearling and has current earnings of $280k.  Hasn't won since July 09. 

Posted By: John H
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 6:29pm
One old-time expensive flop came to mind recently.

In the fifties there was a colt by the Epsom Derby winner Pinza from an imported mare named Method which topped the Easter Yearling Sale setting a new record I think. He was bought by Frank Packer.

Anyway, named Matinee Idol he was of little account but did stand at stud north of Tamworth & sired a few handy horses for Packer in the late 60s or so, but nothing approaching stakes class.

One of his minor winners (in WA) was the mare Pak Bun Bay, the third dam of So You Think.

Posted By: questions
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Glenmore Glenmore wrote:

Recall that the Green Monkey was the centre of a bidding dual between Godolphin and Coolmore with both sides too proud (and stupid) to pull out and let the other 'win'--by the time common sense arrived on the scene a lot of damage had been done.  He had supposedly breezed up in some sensational time prior to the sale--bet the vendors are still having a good laugh.

this was crazy, it was a ready to run sale and they had clocked the horse running less than 10 seconds for 200m.

he went back to stand at stud at the farm that sold him in the first place. so they sold him for $16million and got him back for nothing

i remember reading once about mr prospectors brother being sold for a mint and not winning a maiden

-------------
"it's not gambling if you're absolutely sure you're gonna win" Barney Stinson

Posted By: heavygoing
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

I was going to mention Von Costa De Hero, but he won $1.15 mil and cost $2 mil, so he wasn't a disaster as others mentioned have been, and he'll be well out in front after a few stud seasons...

But for a half head, he would have just about won his purchase price back in a single race. And not too long after he was bought.

Posted By: heavygoing
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 8:21pm
Actually that turned out to be a very expensive half stride for the owners... 2 mio yearling Golden Slipper winner vs.....Group winning, G1 placing horse.....

Posted By: kingston
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by Morgan Dollar Morgan Dollar wrote:

Another that comes to mind is the regally bred DEJAVU ROCK who was bought for a lazy $3.3 million and has managed just the one win on a Sunday at Orange and at her most recent start ran a 62.6L last at Bairnsdale...

You're thinking of Nodoubt Deja by Redoute's Choice ex Deja Slew.

Races or raced in South Africa.

Dejavu Rock didn't go through a sale as a yearling.

Sold at a tried horse sale for $20,000 mid year.

6 starts, 2 wins and3 placings, albeit in the country.

Posted By: acacia alba
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by BLU44 BLU44 wrote:

I have a vague recollection of a horse named Paint the Stars, purchased as a yearling for over $800k. It was owned by Robert Holmes a'Court,and I was surprised to find on checking that its failure at the track was in the early '80s (confirms my advanced age!), which I reckon makes it the Prince of Flops, given subsequent inflation.
PtS was apparently a bit more successful in the breeding barn

thats the one i was thinking of too,,,,we must be the same vintage !
dont think he did very well in the breeding barn either !!!

-------------
animals before people.

Posted By: Shakamaker
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 8:27pm
Early 80's Paint The Stars (Luskin Star x Visit) went for a then record $750,000 from memory, and it was probably Lloyd Willams that bought him.
Biggest flop of the era, can't recall his career record though.

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by Flight Flight wrote:

Noticed 8yr old gelding Goldtown (Sunday Silence - Bright Finish) will be at Ascot on Saturday.

ran in a kalgoorlie cup and couldnt win it either.

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Shakamaker Shakamaker wrote:

Early 80's Paint The Stars (Luskin Star x Visit) went for a then record $750,000 from memory, and it was probably Lloyd Willams that bought him.

it was robert holmes a court bought him,,,,,big flop,,,on the track and off it .

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 8:33pm
ahhhh that's it, old Bob, thanks acacia

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

it was robert holmes a court bought him,,,,,big flop,,,on the track and off it .

Someone mentioned it before you on the front page Shaka - read it all first LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 8:36pm
I need a drink mate, I read from troppo's post at top of page 2 thinking it was the original post LOL

Posted By: kingoath
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 8:38pm
Libertarian is another that comes to mind. Sold for $2m, struggled at the Sydney midweeks and lightening my wallet along the way Angry Now struggling up in Queensland.

-------------
Kingoath's Stable - Zadon, Spalato, Able Friend, Signoff

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 8:39pm
$1500 for Takeover Target should top the list.
Massive flop imo LOL

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 8:42pm
I think we need a like button ala Facebook on here. First post I'd like is the one above - too true, he's top of the list by panels! Hahahaha....

-------------

Posted By: Grinnersawinner
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 8:46pm
Zyzxx - Have a feeling he was the top priced lot at a yearling sale. Has only won the 4 races for $151330 in prizemoney.

-------------
Still Grinning

Posted By: scoot
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 8:50pm
murpheys blu boy. 50% sold to some poor buggers for $1mill or something, got injured and never raced again.

Posted By: jayzaa
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 8:53pm
I thought it was Holmes acourt ??

-------------
www.keffelstein.com

gotta live the dream

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 9:00pm
dont lets forget the high priced stallions that have gone to the barn and are shooting blanks !!
be a bit sad for the studs that paid a motza for these stallions,,,,only to get zero fertility.

-------------
animals before people.

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 9:10pm
Coubertin could be one of those Dead

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 9:19pm

dont lets forget the high priced stallions that have gone to the barn and are shooting blanks !!
be a bit sad for the studs that paid a motza for these stallions,,,,only to get zero fertility.

Isn't there insurance for this?

Posted By: Nocturnal
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Grinnersawinner Grinnersawinner wrote:

Zyzxx - Have a feeling he was the top priced lot at a yearling sale. Has only won the 4 races for $151330 in prizemoney.

Then we paid 50k for him at tried sale had 6 starts for nothing and fractured a sesamoid . Hard to improve one off moloney

-------------
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....

Posted By: Tashi2
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 9:55pm
Wasnt Mike Willesee (the tv presenter) involved in the Paint the Stars debacle?

-------------
"A horse gallops with his lungs,
Perseveres with his heart,
And wins with his character."

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 10:55pm
Here's the list of horses that have been sold for over $2m between 2006 and 2010:

Nodoubt Deja - no info
Sakib - 2 starts for 1 win at Scone and a third at Wyong
Saperavi - 4 starts for a win at Ashburton and a third in a Listed race at Ashburton (NZ)
Allied Force - 15 starts for 3 wins at Bendigo and Moonee Valley (x2), 4 minor placings
Perfect Persuasion - 10 starts for a win at Kyneton and a third in the Talindert Stakes
Bint El Noor - unraced
Master of Design - 9 starts for 4 wins at Seymour, Ballarat, Moonee Valley and Belmont, 3 minor placings, now racing in Perth
Mount Olympus - 5 starts for 1 win at Newcastle, 1 second, now gelded
Time Thief - 7 starts for 2 wins, one at MV, one in the Zeditave Stakes at Caulfield, 4 minor placings including 2nd in the Caulfield Guineas, 2nd in the Guineas Prelude, 2nd in the Danehill Stakes, 3rd in the Australia Stakes, sent to Dubai for Godolphin but did not race, now retired to stud
Libertarian - 21 starts for 3 wins at Kembla Grange, Warwick Farm and Ipswich, 6 minor placings, now gelded and racing out of the Gold Coast
El Cairo - 20 starts for 1 win at Hawkesbury, 4 minor placings, now gelded
Seventh Reason - 13 starts for 2 wins at Kembla and Canterbury, 3 minor placings, trialled at Albury two weeks ago so may be based down there now?
Sun Ruler - 12 starts for 2 wins at Avondale and Te Rapa, 4 minor placings
Movin' Out - 8 starts for 1 win at Newcastle, 2 minor placings
Estee - 23 starts for 3 wins at Sandown, Caulfield and in the Adelaide Guineas at Morphettville, 5 placings including the Australasian Oaks and the Wakeful Stakes
L'heritier - 6 starts for 1 placing, now racing in Macau
Killy - unraced
Metallurgical - 11 starts for 1 win at Eagle Farm, 4 placings, now gelded
Shoot Through - 12 starts for 1 win at Doomben, 1 placing, now gelded
Leicester Square - 9 starts for 3 wins at Scone and Muswellbrook (x2), 1 placing, now gelded
Royal Battalion - unraced

Very, very interesting indeed...

-------------

Posted By: Marky
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 11:05pm
Thanks Tony, stupid topic IMO. You can't expect to get a horse that can run with every purchase. Racing would not exist. If you can spend $2m then you are not hard up.

Posted By: jayzaa
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 11:06pm
Gee Andy, the mind boggles, goes to show so many of these horses are grossly overpriced

-------------
www.keffelstein.com

gotta live the dream

Posted By: M.D.3
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 11:18pm
Just goes to show you can't buy - Heart and Talent.

Posted By: horlicks
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 11:34pm
Nodoubt Deja.

5 starts 1 win 1 second 1 third.
Last start Aug 2009

Posted By: well_rated
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 11:44pm
Octy's brother sold for a record at the time, Lee Freedman had it, couldn't beat the pony home in jump outs, went to stud without a start, i think stands for very little now.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 7:18am

Here's the list of horses that have been sold for over $2m between 2006 and 2010:

Nodoubt Deja - no info
Sakib - 2 starts for 1 win at Scone and a third at Wyong
Saperavi - 4 starts for a win at Ashburton and a third in a Listed race at Ashburton (NZ)
Allied Force - 15 starts for 3 wins at Bendigo and Moonee Valley (x2), 4 minor placings
Perfect Persuasion - 10 starts for a win at Kyneton and a third in the Talindert Stakes
Bint El Noor - unraced
Master of Design - 9 starts for 4 wins at Seymour, Ballarat, Moonee Valley and Belmont, 3 minor placings, now racing in Perth
Mount Olympus - 5 starts for 1 win at Newcastle, 1 second, now gelded
Time Thief - 7 starts for 2 wins, one at MV, one in the Zeditave Stakes at Caulfield, 4 minor placings including 2nd in the Caulfield Guineas, 2nd in the Guineas Prelude, 2nd in the Danehill Stakes, 3rd in the Australia Stakes, sent to Dubai for Godolphin but did not race, now retired to stud
Libertarian - 21 starts for 3 wins at Kembla Grange, Warwick Farm and Ipswich, 6 minor placings, now gelded and racing out of the Gold Coast
El Cairo - 20 starts for 1 win at Hawkesbury, 4 minor placings, now gelded
Seventh Reason - 13 starts for 2 wins at Kembla and Canterbury, 3 minor placings, trialled at Albury two weeks ago so may be based down there now?
Sun Ruler - 12 starts for 2 wins at Avondale and Te Rapa, 4 minor placings
Movin' Out - 8 starts for 1 win at Newcastle, 2 minor placings
Estee - 23 starts for 3 wins at Sandown, Caulfield and in the Adelaide Guineas at Morphettville, 5 placings including the Australasian Oaks and the Wakeful Stakes
L'heritier - 6 starts for 1 placing, now racing in Macau
Killy - unraced
Metallurgical - 11 starts for 1 win at Eagle Farm, 4 placings, now gelded
Shoot Through - 12 starts for 1 win at Doomben, 1 placing, now gelded
Leicester Square - 9 starts for 3 wins at Scone and Muswellbrook (x2), 1 placing, now gelded
Royal Battalion - unraced

Very, very interesting indeed...

Nice work on the stats - thanks

very interesting read thats for sure..

-------------
Go The Dollar..!

Posted By: fritta101
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 8:14am
Allied Force wa the one of hayes that I was thinking of, not Equivocal, Thanks Andy

Posted By: mowie
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 8:25am
would of thought The Comedian is a epic failure atm.... won just over 60k an went for a mint,
an is a Gelding ouch!!

-------------
chris Armstrong waller, *drugs are bad mkay

Posted By: Nocturnal
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 8:31am
Watsons Bay A 1.2 mill (fr memory)Royal academy Gelding won $128k most of his 14 wins have been in kalgoorlie

-------------
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 8:32am
interesting list Andy.

They are all failures, I guess only Time Thief got decent black type and can recoup his initial cost.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 8:40am
What do you guys think of Rockstardom? colt by Gallilleo / Makybe Diva with Danny O'Brien.

He might get a 2000m race against his 3yo peers, but once he is 4 he has to race to at least a mile and a half to get going, but thats where the big money is nowadays.

Posted By: Coat Puller
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 9:17am
What was the one Bart had in the mid to late eighties.

Fortunato or something similar. Think it cost 1.5 mill. A record at the time and not that long after Paint The Stars.

Posted By: lotto7
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 9:21am
In my opinion one of the biggest flops would have to be Pillar Of Hercules (Dean Watt Dynamic Syndications) as a tried horse for $1.6m or $1.7m, doing buggar on the track after his purchase and then being sold at auction for less than $50k. (Hope he does well at stud for his new owners). You hear about the success of the big syndicators but they make some huge mistakes as well. What really irked me was Dynamic flogging off a relation to Pillar Of Hercules and boasting about his $1.6m price tag although they had already sold him for less than $50k! And this is allowed by the authorities. Lost any and all creditability after this stunt and makes it hard for the good syndicators.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 12:15pm
If mug punting is backing a favourite is buying a sales topper mug ownership? Tongue

Surely everybody knows by now that you're more likely to get the next big thing for under $100k than over $1mill?

Posted By: Campaspe
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 12:25pm
What about Changingoftheguard?  Purchased by Hayes from Aiden O'Brien, scratched from the Melbourne Cup on race morning (I think?), one run in the Autumn runs second-last, then they decide to geld him and he dies during the op.  Ouch.

Posted By: Sunline
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 12:30pm
The op probably saved them a fortune. I'm assuming he was insured for the sum paid.

-------------
Sunline...simply supreme

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 12:36pm
Andy, can you find out the purchase prices for all Group 1' winners this year, or at least the Spring carnival?

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 12:40pm
Would like to see the stats.

I think the topliners are the ones in the 100K to 250K bracket

Posted By: Parky
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 1:27pm
very interesting stuff

Posted By: pnclick
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 1:29pm
Andy's list pretty much goes to show the chance of winning back anywhere near your purchase price on these expensive yearlings.

I don't think horses such as GOLDTOWN, VON COSTA DE HERO and WATSON'S BAY should be referred to as flops, more so very stupid prices paid for them by people with obviously too much money.

Goldtown was showing promise early on in Sydney, as did Watson's Bay in Melbourne. And I think alot of owners woud love to have horses win as much.

Waterhouse had one called GERONIMO (1 Million purhcase), which was subsequently purchased (for about 10k) by one of Eric Musgroves clients after a few starts in sydney. Was chatting to the 'new' owner who told me she'd got a real bargain. Not really, it was so slow, Musgrove wouldn't even let it race in his name and never won a cent in prizemoney for the new owner.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 4:38pm
Probably too early yet, but Mutamayez?

Looks like he walked out of Gais stable and joined Coyle

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 5:03pm

Andy, can you find out the purchase prices for all Group 1' winners this year, or at least the Spring carnival?

Yeah I will, I'll do spring carnival first and work back.

Black Caviar - $210k
Wall Street - $100k
Brazilian Pulse - $26k
Americain - $225k (not as a yearling obviously)
Sacred Choice - $40k
Lion Tamer - not sold
Star Witness - $150k
So You Think - $110k
Descarado - withdrawn from yearling sale, sold to Gai through private sale
Yosei - passed in at $14.5k, reserve $15k
Anacheeva - $110k
More Joyous - not sold
Zipping - $190k
Herculian Prince - not sold
Captain Sonador - $30k
Secret Admirer - passed in at $38k, reserve $40k
Erewhon - not sold
Hay List - not sold?
Response - $50k

Any I've forgotten?

-------------

Posted By: watarush
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 5:13pm
dont really get too much in to the purchasing side of horses etc but one that comes to mind would be pillar of hercules. massive court room battles and bidding and so much hype. what did he end up going for? 1.8 mil was it? whats he won in stakes. absolute dud

Posted By: Fairest One
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 5:16pm

Cheers Andy interesting.

-------------
Cmon Apparitions!!!

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by watarush watarush wrote:

dont really get too much in to the purchasing side of horses etc but one that comes to mind would be pillar of hercules. massive court room battles and bidding and so much hype. what did he end up going for? 1.8 mil was it? whats he won in stakes. absolute dud

Mentioned by lotto7 about 10 posts up.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 5:28pm
Thanks Andy

Posted By: Skipper
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 8:05am
Not sure if he actually went through a sale or not but I remember a very close relation (if not a full brother) to Kingston Town racing in the early-mid 80's..No doubt would have commanded a huge premium but was an abysmal flop and an absolute nutter into the bargain..I remember being at Canterbury one day where he started fav (again), was leading to the furlong, then proceeded to jump the rail, eventually crashing through it..Not sure if he ever raced again after that display

John H may be able to help with the name...Think it was 'Private' something or other.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 8:38am
Well there was Private Thoughts, a full brother to Kingston Town, couldn't call him a flop though, he won two black type races (although compared to the price, he may have been a flop).

-------------

Posted By: Rockinconi
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 8:45am
Horse called Prague sold for $1.2 million about 6 years ago and had a couple of runs for Hayes before being re- sold through a mixed sale for about $6000.

Has had 34 starts for 2 minor placings and $7945 in prizemoney. 

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 8:09pm
Grand Jardin may have turned the corner this prep with his new trainer over in Perth. His run just now was a cracker.

-------------

Posted By: djebel
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 8:09pm
Are the 2 Sydney 2yo winners today considered cheapies ?

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: Apprentice Punter
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 8:45pm
The Herald Sun did a table the other week about AFL draft position and average games played.  I'd be interested to see the average prizemoney stats for horses purchased for under $10k, $10-$30K, $30k-$50k and so on. 

-------------
I'm a hack punter with a blog. Feel free to read it and rip on me/ give me advice/feedback/and or abuse

Posted By: The Insider
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2010 at 8:44am

Yeah I will, I'll do spring carnival first and work back.

Black Caviar - $210k
Wall Street - $100k
Brazilian Pulse - $26k
Americain - $225k (not as a yearling obviously)
Sacred Choice - $40k
Lion Tamer - not sold
Star Witness - $150k
So You Think - $110k
Descarado - withdrawn from yearling sale, sold to Gai through private sale
Yosei - passed in at $14.5k, reserve $15k
Anacheeva - $110k
More Joyous - not sold
Zipping - $190k
Herculian Prince - not sold
Captain Sonador - $30k
Secret Admirer - passed in at $38k, reserve $40k
Erewhon - not sold
Hay List - not sold?
Response - $50k

Any I've forgotten?
Bet the boys from Coolmore, Arrowfield, Vinery & co do not stick this list up in their barn at the sales. The high prices are and have always been total rorts and stitch ups of wealthy owners. Take a wealthy new owner, a high profile trainer and high profile stud and you get a great sale. It would be interesting to see how many of the sale toppers were purchased by rich newbies Wink

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 12:16pm
Race 6 at Broadmeadow on Saturday.

Expensive field fighting out for $9100 in prizemoney

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 12:30pm
Oh wow, hell yeah.

6-03.55 EYRES SAFETY OPTICS CLASS 2 HANDICAP (1400 METRES)

Of $14000. 1st $9100, 2nd $2800, 3rd $1400, 4th $700.

Starter Subsidy: $200 for non-prize earning runners.

CLASS 2.

BOBS Bonus available: $5,000

Field Limit: 17 + 4 EM

NoHorseTrainerJockey Barrier WeightPenaltyHandicapper
Rating
1SHERZANDOJason CoyleMitchell Bell 10 59
2CHORALPeter SnowdenDarryl McLellan 1 57
3MOUNT OLYMPUSDarren SmithChris O'Brien 7 56
4HEEBY HITCH HIKERBrett PartelleJeff Penza 3 55
5SHE'S A ROCK STARDarren SmithDale Spriggs 2 55
6EL CAIROPaul PerryScott Thurlow 5 53.5
7MY MAN OF WARKris LeesChristian Reith 8 53.5
8SURPASSINGTracey BartleyGrant Buckley 9 53
9HOLY THREADDamon PembertonRobert Thompson 4 53
10SPLENDID HONOURSPaul PerryLeanne G Henry 11 53
11VEGAS LIGHTSDianne LumsdenAlex Stokes (a3) 6 53

Mount Olympus - $3m
El Cairo - $2m (although sold earlier this year for $28000)

And Choral probably would have gone for a high price too.

-------------

Posted By: pnclick
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 3:02pm

Goldtown went around in the OTT show jumping event at Equitana on the weekend. May have finally found his calling.

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 12:40pm
I saw in a previous link Gay posted that he had gone jumping.   He competed at the jockey,s challenge jumping , and did OK.  I forget who rode him then, but he was in the hands of a decent jumps person, so hope he has found his niche. How did he go at Equitana ??

-------------
animals before people.

Posted By: Apache101
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 12:56pm
Would love to see an update on horses even fetching over $500K at sales. Especially as we are only six or so weeks from MM. The prices were ridiculous the last couple of years and you have to shake your head wondering how these owners ever hope to recoup the investment.

Posted By: Beliskner
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 2:11pm
There would be plenty, just look through colts, especially in years when there were hyped up 1st and 2nd year stallions who ended up being flops.

Still there would be plenty of Fastnet and Redoutes flops, plenty.

Posted By: Dizzy
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 2:21pm
I have the data for this years MM if anyones wants to see it?

Posted By: Manny G
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 8:28am
Conformist

-------------
Keep serving up the overs please

Posted By: Hazyview
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 10:55am
You have to remember that the sample size of horses who make 500k+ is way way smaller than the sample size of horses which make 100-200k.

Overall they do well in terms of stakes percentages.

An interesting one would be to look at the 500k+ horses who don't necessarily have the hollywood pedigrees - these are generally the superb physicals and I suggest they would have a very good record.

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 11:13am
Originally posted by pnclick pnclick wrote:

Goldtown went around in the OTT show jumping event at Equitana on the weekend. May have finally found his calling.

He is with Rachelle Lovett  ( who knows her stuff ), who says he has found his calling. 
There is a nice vid clip on the Equitana FB about the OTTTBs jumping at equitana. 

-------------
animals before people.

Posted By: Red Hare
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 12:24pm
One G1 winner from 38 'Million Dollar Babies' sold at Inglis Easter between 2012-2016.

** Data from ASB. 

Year Sex Name Prize Money BTWs G1Ws Sire Dam Price
2012 Filly Belle Couture $21,775 0 0 Redoute's Choice Helsinge $2,600,000
2012 Colt Rodway $80,985 0 0 Street Cry (IRE) Tugela (USA) $1,200,000
2012 Colt Monkstone $155,725 0 0 Fastnet Rock Catreign (NZ) $1,000,000
2013 Colt Jimmy $0 0 0 Redoute's Choice Helsinge $5,000,000
2013 Colt Emaratee $7,150 0 0 Fastnet Rock River Dove $4,000,000
2013 Colt Wilderness $28,190 0 0 Fastnet Rock Gold Anthem $2,400,000
2013 Filly Mumbai Rock $29,735 0 0 Fastnet Rock Mani Bhavan (USA) $1,550,000
2013 Colt Zululand $870,631 1 0 Fastnet Rock Dream Play (USA) $1,500,000
2013 Colt Beluga Caviar $76,350 0 0 Redoute's Choice Scandinavia $1,200,000
2013 Filly Satya $43,185 0 0 Redoute's Choice Star Satire (NZ) $1,000,000
2013 Colt Wandjina $652,288 2 1 Snitzel La Bamba $1,000,000
2013 Filly Unassailed $35,180 0 0 Fastnet Rock Park Esteem (IRE) $1,000,000
2014 Colt Lighthouse Keeper $34,430 0 0 Fastnet Rock Perfect Persuasion $1,600,000
2014 Colt Taaj $20,490 0 0 Street Cry (IRE) Star on High (USA) $1,500,000
2014 Colt Sooboog $271,375 1 0 Snitzel Monte Rosa $1,500,000
2014 Colt Grand Cross $38,005 0 0 Fastnet Rock Defiant Dame $1,300,000
2014 Filly Maraam $101,320 0 0 Street Cry (IRE) Munhro $1,050,000
2014 Colt People's Knight $0 0 0 Exceed and Excel Allegra $1,000,000
2014 Filly Lake Geneva $635,500 1 0 Fastnet Rock Hips Don't Lie (NZ) $1,000,000
2015 Colt Shaheen $0 0 0 Snitzel Admirelle $2,200,000
2015 Colt America $635 0 0 Snitzel Alinghi $1,800,000
2015 Filly Peaceful Sea $955 0 0 Fastnet Rock Candlelight (USA) $1,750,000
2015 Colt War Hero $35,865 0 0 Sepoy Ancient Song $1,600,000
2015 Filly Aneeda $0 0 0 Fastnet Rock Perfect Persuasion $1,600,000
2015 Colt Shackleton $0 0 0 Fastnet Rock Wiener $1,350,000