Print Page | Close Window

photo assessments

Printed From: Thoroughbred Village
Category: Horse Breeding - Public Forums
Forum Name: Conformation
Forum Description: Discuss horse conformation, anatomy, athleticism, size and type
URL: https://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au/forum_posts.asp?TID=23973
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 8:31am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: photo assessments
Posted By: alexxx
Subject: photo assessments
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2010 at 7:47am
anyone still doing this? on 2yo colts

Replies:
Posted By: Gay3
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2010 at 10:07pm

Yes, 'horsegears' is, go to the Stallions forum then 'Hey Orpen' thread. He's posted there.

-------------
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!

Posted By: Xolento
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2010 at 11:27pm
and it is all bull dust 

Posted By: Cookie
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2010 at 11:29pm
You need to see horses in the flesh, photos are misleading.

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 3:10am

Originally posted by Xolento Xolento wrote:

and it is all bull dust 

Perhaps it is, to the 'experts', however some of us may feel we're still learning & part of that process is working out the bull dust from fact Smile

-------------

Posted By: rubiton
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 3:44am
A good photo of a horse will tell you heaps but a crap one (or even with very slight errors of placement) can be misleading.

Posted By: horsegears
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 4:23am

Yes, rubiton is correct, you need a correctly aligned photo verically, horizontally, and distance wise, and also know how to spot and make allowances for each if need be.

Also you may require

To know what traits to look for that apply specifically to Thoroughbreds, in regard to what your assessing, whether that be distance gearing, balance, top line etc.

You may need to able to account for the variations in joint angles, bones lengths, vertical and horizontal lines, that typically vary by less than 5%

And you need to assess that all as one, as its really all comparative, and individual to each horse.

All that considered, i can understand the debate conformation can lead to.

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 4:59am
Look, when its all said and done I believe I can provide some very good information regarding conformation. I believe if you look through my comments, you will find there fairly reliable. If I err and someone points that out, well thats still good. As it is, the existing information regarding racehorse conformation is very text bookish, and often based only on traits that apply to general horses, or what people have read previously in books. As I base all that I state and do on my own research, I believe I can offer some insights that go beyond that.

For example, here is an insight that goes against textbook theory.

Humerus bone length and angle (arm): The humerus extends from the elbow joint, upwards towards the shoulder joint. A longer arm and/or a more upright arm, should result in a longer stride, and greater endurance. But regardless of this, we found the length to be very similar with both stayers and sprinters. Further the angle was surprisingly slightly more upright for the sprinter. Again this indicates stride length and endurence. As this goes against text book theory, how can this work in the sprinters favour?  The sprinters shoulder joint is typically open, leading to a slightly shorter shoulder blade. The upright humerus and shorter shoulder blade decreases the top line horizontal measurement from chest to wither. This enables the sprinter to obtain greater length, through the hind, while also maintaining a reasonable height/length ratio. This means whatever a sprinter may lose in speed/strength through its fore, due to its upright arm, will be re-attained in spades, from its stronger hindquarters.

Posted By: nod
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Xolento Xolento wrote:

and it is all bull dust 

That's not nice X, have a look at the cover shots on Womans Day etc, these are all fair dinkum and it's only in our tiny minds that we think those 45yo 's are 20 again.
They wouldn't alter photos of horses would they?Wink

-------------
N Z -Land of the wrong white crowd.

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 9:14pm
set this guy up years ago , who "alledgedly" could pick a champ from photos....sent him the sires (stallions) photos telling him they were yearlings I had just purchased....the resulting assesments were hysterical....god I wish I still had them to post for you all for a good laugh  LOL  Bah humbug 

Posted By: antlowes
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 7:43pm
So you told him pics of 7yo's+ stallions were actually 2yo yearlings and you were surprised when his assessments were off the mark?

Go figure...

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 9:18pm
they were former G1 winners and he bagged the crap out of them 

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 9:19pm
you may as well get Brooke to asses horses for you with her crystal ball

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by antlowes antlowes wrote:

So you told him pics of 7yo's+ stallions were actually 2yo yearlings and you were surprised when his assessments were off the mark?

Go figure...

Very balanced point Antlowes.

Afterall, a mature Thoroughbred, when rated as a Yearling will not even have the noted athletic Thoroughbred proportions, let alone conformation for winning Group 1 races.

In fact the bone structure would not match any straight racebred horse, even the racing quarter horses.

The legs would appear way to short, the girth way to deep, big barrel, thick neck, etc etc, similar to stocky pony club type yearlings.          Further the length of the shoulder balde would be  massive.

Posted By: nod
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 12:42am
Wow -that's a heap of mighty big differences Horsegears.
It's hard to fathom how an expert could fail to notice such............
My eyesight ain't that flash and I'm no expert but I can distinguish a stallion from a yearling at 150 paces..... 

-------------
N Z -Land of the wrong white crowd.

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 12:52am

Yes nod, its a good story, but bulldust

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 5:29am
assesing conformation from photo is bulldust of the highest order 

Posted By: DiamondsAtDusk
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 6:01am
Worried about what they may say about alex's horse X? Tongue

-------------
We Started Nothing.

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 6:47am

If thats the fastnet rock colt your referring too, ive seen him, and although he has some weaknesses, he also has some rarer strengths, and I dont mind him overall.

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 7:11am
means jack to me diamondsatdusk, why would I give a rodents about that ?

Posted By: v and m
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 6:57am
Horsegears, Is it just 2 year olds or can/do you make conformation assessments with weanlings too? if so I would very much like one for this filly if its not too much trouble:

I personally think that info on conformation is a good tool in determining what distances a horse will likely excel at and is more reliable than dosage profiles as a way of determining potential ability

-------------
ZAMINGA

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 9:06am
I also think its a good guide for distance, if you can measure and assess all the small  % variations. I may start a thread distance gearing estimations.

I believe conformation, breeding, muscle quality, cardio system, upbringing, soundness, and more, are all important. But I believe the genuine Champions have high qualities across the board. Thus individually, in my opinion they may be used as a guide, but if you can use them in conjunction with each other, you may have a very powerful tool.

Posted By: Zenden
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 10:54pm
interesting thread.
Noticed that while perusing Easter yearlings that the photo and sirecam video image of the same  horse were significantly different for some studs.
if you examine both photo and sirecam closely it is evident that the photos have been touched up to make the yearling appear to have a deeper girth and look more athletic.
Bottom line is that the photo should only be a starting point to a thorough physical examination in the flesh.

Posted By: reng
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 1:14am
Surely that type of change would be noticed by buyers doing final inspections.  Hardly any buyer at the top end would take a chance without a final physical inspection, so you are just asking for trouble by showing a photo that doesn't reflect reality???

-------------
The problem with Opportunity is that it wears overalls and looks like work.

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 3:43am
Originally posted by reng reng wrote:

Surely that type of change would be noticed by buyers doing final inspections.  Hardly any buyer at the top end would take a chance without a final physical inspection, so you are just asking for trouble by showing a photo that doesn't reflect reality???

100% agree Reng.

and the photographers ability to take the pic makes a HUGE difference

Posted By: Zenden
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 4:40am

It is clearly visable that part of the abdomen is shaded out to give the horse a more streamlined deeper girth.

If you e-mail me privately I will give you lot numbers to compare both photo and sirecam.
Once you are aware of the alteration it is quite easy to pick. It is not a massive alteration but one that definately enhances the girth.

I daresay once at the sales Noone remembers the exact look of the horse except it just does not make the grade as the photo sugested.
Last year I was disappointed wih certain drafts that looked exceptional on photos, this year when comparing sirecam against photos of the same yearlings now know why.
They do it all the time for fashion shoots to enhance the models looks.
I also agree reng that you are not going to fool the buyer on final inspections but neverless it does appear that these photos have been touched up.
Interested on your opinions once you have compared the two.

Posted By: BSB Raiderman
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 10:13pm
19 month old filly

Posted By: magic_idol
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 4:32am
Can you do 1 for mine ?????

-------------
Happy Fit Horses Win Races :-)

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 5:03am
Hahaha i got a couple he's not looking his best as it's his second day @ being broken inShocked

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 5:04am

-------------

Posted By: marlin1
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 6:37am
heres mine,not the best of pics but shes pretty big,ill get a better one soon
C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Pictures\the champ

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 6:53am
Originally posted by marlin1 marlin1 wrote:

heres mine,not the best of pics but shes pretty big,ill get a better one soon
C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Pictures\the champ
You have to download it to photo bucket as  this server can't download them from your computerWink

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 7:42am
i try again
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn210/hornet435/thechamp001.jpg?t=1275820792 - http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn210/hornet435/thechamp001.jpg?t=1275820792

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 7:55am
could some one help me out with this mare i brought the other week,i think she had a nice shoulder and nice lenght of rein with big hind1/4s,very nice mover,if you guys could run your eye over her and tell me if you can see any faults or where she needs improvements i mite learn some thing
cheers and thanks for any info
david
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn210/hornet435/mare.jpg?t=1275821476 - http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn210/hornet435/mare.jpg?t=1275821476

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 10:50am
Marlin1, in my opinion.

Nice length limbs, closed shoulder joint with a very long blade. Back is a good even length, which is well supported by the even girth depth. Croup is leaner.

Good height x length ratio, fore is certainly the strength, consistent endurance and long striding traits throughout, nice type.

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 5:47pm
thanks for that horsegears, what iv been reading on here i thought she was a pretty good type when i saw her, but wasnt sure, what people look for in a mare, shes very well built very strong looking horse,i think she mite need a taller leaner stallion with abit of leg under him,her legs are pretty short i thought,but she has a giant over stride,that turned  me on,jus hopes she goes into foal early,thanks for the info appreciated
david
ps when do i change the paper work over to my name,on the stud book it says when i do a foal return,is this right

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 11:06pm
If she is a proven performer you may not wish to risk losing her traits, which may happen if you have her served by a stallion that is not a similar type..

Posted By: WarriSymbol
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 1:28pm
Just wondering if anyone would like to give an assessment of this rising 2yo colt by Testa Rossa.
Many thanks in advance.

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 12:40am
Anyone willing to have a crack?
Anyone............Bueller?.............Bueller?..............Bueller?

Posted By: jayzaa
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 12:48am
Got a powerful backside, deep girth, good shoulder,  personally I would like a bit more neck.
 Legs are hard from this angle, but seems to have a strong forearm. 
  Hope this gets the ball rolling for you

-------------
www.keffelstein.com

gotta live the dream

Posted By: orpen
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 12:22pm
The Inglis BC3 sale catalogue has really good photos of the babies. Well worth a look.

The three that took my eye are Lots 14, 17 & 19.

As a group the whole draft will be interesting to follow.

Posted By: Campaspe
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 8:50pm
Have you had a look at the breeze up and parade videos yet, Orpen?  They're up on the Inglis website.

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by orpen orpen wrote:

The Inglis BC3 sale catalogue has really good photos of the babies. Well worth a look.

The three that took my eye are Lots 14, 17 & 19.

As a group the whole draft will be interesting to follow.

Just for the record, my favs are 6, 10, 20, 28, 30 & 34 Smile

-------------

Posted By: jayzaa
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 9:16pm
marlin, yes, when you do your mare return, she will transfer to your name as foal breeder

-------------
www.keffelstein.com

gotta live the dream

Posted By: Run For Fun
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 9:36pm
Warri Symbol's photo possibly explains just why you cant judge by photos.

Appears to have a number of strong features, but surely couldn't be that short in the neck, and who's to guess on alignment?  Does the near hind give the impression of filling at very least, or does the white coloring mix the message?

May well be a terrific youngster, but like them all needs examining in the flesh.

-------------
It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers

Posted By: VEEEIGHT
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 9:57pm
Yes near hind does appear thick in the pastern and I think to be acurate re biomechanic analysis horse would need to be measured in the flesh photos are just to variable.

-------------
Easily smashed

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 10:32pm
Where's Warri?

Been around the place but silent on the responses thus far.  Smile 

-------------

Cheers

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 2:02am
Thanks for the respones everyone. Was holding out to see if anyone else had any thoughts.

A mate of mine has gone 10% into this colt.
He's out of an unraced half sister to Charge Forward by Agnes World.
Went through the ring in Sydney at Easter.
Sold for $180,000.

Posted By: DMG
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 2:09am
Originally posted by magic_idol magic_idol wrote:

wouldnt mind riding her

-------------

Posted By: Nocturnal
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 8:01am
Really DMG ? Obviously starting off a low base LOL

-------------
The only problem with backing winners ? You never have enough on....

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 1:23am
WarriSymbol

My opinion only, Yearling considered.

Shorter limbs, very good closed shoulder joint leading to well sloped shoulder with some extra length, very good distance chest to wither and the strength of the topline. Nice shorter back well supported by a girth of extra depth. Good hind. Slightly longer type overall. Distance gearing shows a bias to sprinting mainly due to shorter limbs, although the good shoulder adds potential for some versatility. Already appears to possess a deep girth and good blade length, so should maintain this general shape. Very nice type IMO.

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 4:14am
Originally posted by Run For Fun Run For Fun wrote:

Warri Symbol's photo possibly explains just why you cant judge by photos.

Appears to have a number of strong features, but surely couldn't be that short in the neck.

This is a good point and it is correct.

No doubt analyzing a horse by a photo is not a definitive. But the above photo may display if common sense is be applied, the photo assessment of this horse may be used as a guide.

Lets see what we can get from using the photo as a guide. The photo shows a horse with a bias towards sprinting traits including a good hind, shorter limbs, deep girth etc.  This consistancy indicates the sprinting traits are indeed likely to be true.

Now the neck looks very short (maybe exagerated to teh eye by the well sloped shoulder). As the shorter neck is also a sprinting trait.  Now whether the neck is as short as the photo indicates is debateble, but regardless its fair enough to assume from the photo that the horse is more likely to have at least a shorter neck in-line with its other traits.

From this photo, from a positive conformation point of veiw, its fair to suggest we have a Yearling with at least a good shoulder, a back thats not to long and at least a decent hind. The
muscle shape on the forearm and shorter limbs also suggest we have a sprinting type. Its pedigree can also be used to further confirm this.

In the same way a person who may be looking for more complex patterns, such as the compounding  levering effect of a number of bones lengths and angles, can also apply common sense to use the results, to effect a good guide. The key here is that by eye, these complex caculations may not be possible, so the value of this guide probably increases. (of course we are not debating levering here, rather just what value a person can get from a photo based on his own opinions)

So because we can only use a photo as a guide to the above, and its not a definitive rating, should it be ignored?

Well the thing is, breeding too, is really only a guide. An example is that most mares have had no foals, or very few to race, so your rating its foal on a low number of stats that a real stats person would rate as totaly inconclusive. But undoubtedly, breeding still retains its value as a guide, and rightly so. So should conformation from a photo being used as a guide, be any different?

Of course, when talking about conformation, it should only be considered as one desired part of a number. Ideally a horses also has going for it additional important factors like breeding, upbringing, energy system, etc.

Posted By: shizzydirka
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by DMG DMG wrote:

Originally posted by magic_idol magic_idol wrote:

wouldnt mind riding her

yeppp

we all know u were a hack

-------------
SET THE SPINNAKER FOR THE LOSE

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by horsegears horsegears wrote:

Lets see what we can get from using the photo as a guide. The photo shows a horse with a bias towards sprinting traits including a good hind, shorter limbs, deep girth etc.  This consistancy indicates the sprinting traits are indeed likely to be true.

Thanks for the detailed response horsegears.
So, from what i've heard here it sounds like the Derby/Cup dreams will have to stay on hold for a little longer. 

Without seeing the photo, one only has to see who the purchaser was (Ellerton Zahra Racing), to realise this colt is a sprinting type.
Can anyone recall even one Ellerton Zahra trained stayer?

Posted By: rowboat
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 1:41pm
http://chrisphoethoroughbreds.webs.com/investorsdream.htm - This horse is said to have the likessake of his great grandsire buckpasser who was said to have faultless conformation, the best in America... he reminds me ofhttp://forum.thoroughbredvillage.com.au.websitelive.net/smileys/smiley10.gif the orginal TBs type, classic TB type

Posted By: BSB Raiderman
Date Posted: 01 Aug 2010 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by BSB Raiderman BSB Raiderman wrote:

19 month old filly

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by WarriSymbol WarriSymbol wrote:

Just wondering if anyone would like to give an assessment of this rising 2yo colt by Testa Rossa.
Many thanks in advance.

This baby steps out for the first time at Caulfield on Saturday.
Goes by the name REDANGELO.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 7:25pm
Always a truly exciting time.

Hope she goes well.

-------------

Cheers

Posted By: Fairest One
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 12:52pm
Well done Warri, only back him today cause i saw this post this week!! He was very green, but has a good will. Should make a good race horse (well he already is ;)). Saturday 2yo win is always a great achievement/thrill. He put in a dodgy stride about 200 metres out I thought but then batteld on gamely.

That wasn't you screaming in the mounting yard?

-------------
Cmon Apparitions!!!

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 1:16pm
Great result Warri & super to be able to compare 'before & after'. Hope he keeps going forward for you Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: bradjm
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 2:01pm
Congrats warri, very nice horse.

Posted By: Bel Esprit
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 11:24pm
Congrats Wirri,nice win!

Posted By: Mile high
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 1:17pm
yeah! lovely win with Redangelo yesterday!!

Posted By: djebel
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 10:44pm
Embedded image permalink

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: whitt0
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 6:35am
bit long in the rear pasterns!

Posted By: Geraldo
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 7:04am
Dipbacked.

-------------
TBV - where it is the Silly Season all year round.

Posted By: VEEEIGHT
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 7:19am
looks back at the knee and hocks camped out. Looks a little roach backed also

-------------
Easily smashed

Posted By: Mr Prospector
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 8:19am
The back at the knee is a killer plus looks badly down on his bumpers . The clincher though is the poor winter coat (a bit of a dog really ) .

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 2:21am
Embedded image permalink

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 8:31am
straight back. 

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 11:56am
Duramente

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 12:35pm
A short description as to whether the above horse was any good & if so, over what distance would be handy Wink. Many of us won't go to the trouble of googling.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

A short description as to whether the above horse was any good & if so, over what distance would be handy Wink. Many of us won't go to the trouble of googling.

He will win the Japanese Derby on Sunday and be in the market for the Arc latter in the year.

He is what a classic horse should look like.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 12:47pm
I hope you haven't wrecked the thread

But I would say a good performer over distances above 1600m

Its just subjective looking at a pic but he's a leggy lighter type what a see as miler and above.

Actually looks very much like my lion heart I sold, who's the second top rated Australian bred horse in the world class Korean racing lol

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by bradjm bradjm wrote:

I hope you haven't wrecked the thread

What do you mean ?

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 12:58pm
This what I consider a miler looks like - 

Embedded image permalink

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 1:28pm
Nice and long - my preferred type of stock. Just not as popular in the yearling sales ring. 

Posted By: JadeLace
Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 4:25pm
Lovely example of a miler.   The top horse looks a lean staying type!

Posted By: runnerdance
Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 4:29pm
Lovely shoulder on that horse... good depth of girth. Wanting some more strength behind IMHO and neck. Nice animal and looks v athletic. 

If the horse got his chance he would find more fault with me then i did with him!! Lol

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 4:32pm
Bay horse at top of thread doesnt look as balanced or as well put together as one below... front, middle and rear not connected (could be 3 different horses). Plain head etc Just a horse IMHO...

... this is where i will come unstuck and you tell me hes a champion lol

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by runnerdance runnerdance wrote:

Bay horse at top of thread doesnt look as balanced or as well put together as one below... front, middle and rear not connected (could be 3 different horses). Plain head etc Just a horse IMHO...

... this is where i will come unstuck and you tell me hes a champion lol

LOL

He does look to be the new champion of Japan Duremante. Beer

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: rem286
Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 6:30pm
I'm with runnerdance on Duremante, even though this is obviously a talented horse, it isn't something I would be jumping at.  I love his front end but not so much the back end.  Maybe this is where I am going wrong and why my strike rate is so poor.  The miler I do like the look of.  Who is the miler by the way?

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by rem286 rem286 wrote:

I'm with runnerdance on Duremante, even though this is obviously a talented horse, it isn't something I would be jumping at.  I love his front end but not so much the back end.  Maybe this is where I am going wrong and why my strike rate is so poor.  The miler I do like the look of.  Who is the miler by the way?

The "miler" is Real Steel by Deep Impact he has had 4 runs, 3 over 1800m and 1 over 2000m.

I suspect he will eventually revert to a mile and be quite good. Actually his is quite good at the moment having run 2nd to Duremante in the Japanese 2000 Guineas over 2000m.

I suspect he will run in the Derby this Sunday, but than so did their champion sprinter of a couple of years ago Lord Kanaloa. 

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 6:42pm

Leaner rear end is a staying trait, the power from a big muscled bum is valuable in sprints but consumes more energy over distance.

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 6:42pm
At the risk of being a liar again, Lord Kanaloa did not run in the Japanese Derby. My mistake.

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 6:43pm

Leaner rear end is a staying trait, the power from a big muscled bum is valuable in sprints but consumes more energy over distance.

Saintly had a pretty good rear end, But I suspect he was not really a stayer he simply out classed them.

I do agree with that comment though as a general rule. Thumbs Up

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: rem286
Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 7:48pm
Most of the horses I pick tend to be the sprinting types.  I would like to be able to pick out a good middle distance horse though.

Date Posted: 27 May 2015 at 12:21am
Still maintain 2nd horse a far better 'animal' IMHO - the top bay might be a champion but he's plain in the looks department. I don't see his appeal at all but I haven't bought a Japanese Derby winner b4 either.

Posted By: Group 1 Selections
Date Posted: 27 May 2015 at 1:16am
First think that stands out for me in the staying type from Japan is the very low knee and short cannon bones. I am very big on the "long levers" on a horse, I don't like the shallow chest cavity and how the horse falls away behind the saddle. not one that would jump out at me in the paddock but wouldn't put a line through before I had seen the pedigree page either.

Cant fault the second horse, maybe a fraction short in the rein but that could be exaggerated by the length and excellent confirmation of the chassis.

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 1:15am

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Posted By: goldey
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 8:12am
Gees, not much pastern angle there .

Posted By: Lordy
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 9:29am
Originally posted by goldey goldey wrote:

A little upright but not too bad. It's the same angle as the shoulder.

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Lordy Lordy wrote:

Originally posted by goldey goldey wrote:

A little upright but not too bad. It's the same angle as the shoulder.

....on 2nd look the shoulder has more slope.

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 10:30am
Shoot the farrier & those overseeing him! OF heels are far too high adding even more pressure to the leg on top of already the upright pasterns Disapprove

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 12:23pm
Despite that I bet its a very good horse

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 2:32pm

Despite that I bet its a very good horse

Very good sprinter miler Mikki Isle. 

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 1:05pm
https://twitter.com/GaiWaterhouse1" rel="nofollow">Gai Waterhouse ‏@GaiWaterhouse1    https://twitter.com/GaiWaterhouse1/status/624383933577170944" rel="nofollow - Multiple Group winning mare Arabian Gold (Dubawi) was "an absolute sweet heart" and https://twitter.com/TommyBerry21" rel="nofollow - 🏼🐎

https://twitter.com/GaiWaterhouse1/status/624383933577170944/photo/1" rel="nofollow">
Embedded image permalink

-------------
reductio ad absurdum

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 1:17pm
She looks quite weak behind in that shot

Posted By: JadeLace
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Lordy Lordy wrote:

She looks quite weak behind in that shot

I agree she's a pretty plain type

Posted By: Beliskner