Join up at Bet Easy - Click here - Bet Easy is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Conformation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Predicting Horse's height

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinkers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Predicting Horse's height
    Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 10:37pm
I am in the process of purchasing a performance horse 2 1/2 year old gelding for my daughter. It looks a bit small on the video but the breaker is 6'4" tall. I don't want a small horse (5-1 to 5-3 hands tall). As such I was wondering if there is any way of predicting the horse's eventual height. Apparently they stop growing at 5 years.
The stallion is 16-3 hands don't know the mother's yet. I read on the internet that if you measure on the front leg from the coronet to the knee whatever the measurement is in inches, it will be the equivalent in hands, i.e. 15 1/2 inches = 15-3 hands when fully grown. The age of the horse at thetime doesnt matter.
Is this an old wives tale or has some truth about it? Is there any other suggestions? 
Thanks
Blinkers
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

reng View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 9:25am
Get a lead rope and measure from the fetlock to the elbow - then double it.  It's a fairly loose estimate, but will give you some indication.

In people, there is a formula, but not sure about horses.  The people one is something like 'take the mid-point of both parents, then the predicted height of the offspring is +/- 7cm for girls and +/- 10cm for boys' 
The problem with Opportunity is that it wears overalls and looks like work.
giddyup View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giddyup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 11:15am
At 2 1/2 you'd only be guessing IMO - by now, some of, eventual height will be 'nutritionally' based - has he been hard fed all his life, was his mother well supported during pregnancy, what was they pasture like?  You don't say how high the horse is now or what breed and this will have a bearing. Cheers.
straight View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote straight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by reng reng wrote:

Get a lead rope and measure from the fetlock to the elbow - then double it.  It's a fairly loose estimate, but will give you some indication.

In people, there is a formula, but not sure about horses.  The people one is something like 'take the mid-point of both parents, then the predicted height of the offspring is +/- 7cm for girls and +/- 10cm for boys' 
This is close measure the child the day it turns two and double it
It works
u dont have to b dead to b stiff
M.horse View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 2:16pm
We bought a 2YO Bel Esprit colt last October.
He was 470 kgs.
He is now 560 kgs...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic