Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Plein Ciel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Black Prince 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 6:50pm
And the run of Yogi , wow
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 6:55pm
Defier's (Deane Lester) one-to-follow from Caulfield
Germanmachine View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germanmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 11:37am
Rumour is that he will now by-pass Caulfield Listed race on 1st Sept. and a bit of travel are on the cards.

A freshen up to target the 1500m Group 3 Cameron Hcp at Newcastle on 14th Sept.(May still be a little short ????)

The intention being that if he wins that race he would be exempt from the ballot for the Gp 1 Epsom 1600m, where he would receive around 50 - 51kg. Interesting plan if they keep to it.
Black Prince 2 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Prince 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Germanmachine Germanmachine wrote:

Rumour is that he will now by-pass Caulfield Listed race on 1st Sept. and a bit of travel are on the cards.

A freshen up to target the 1500m Group 3 Cameron Hcp at Newcastle on 14th Sept.(May still be a little short ????)

The intention being that if he wins that race he would be exempt from the ballot for the Gp 1 Epsom 1600m, where he would receive around 50 - 51kg. Interesting plan if they keep to it.

I read yesterday that this is exactly their plan. Is their thinking that that the milers in Sydney aren’t quite up to grade ? I suppose he’s won quite impressively in all his winning starts so I presume he’s earnt a crack at the group class ? Either way I’ll be having a little play each way. Currently $26 early markets in Epsom all in . I will wait to see how he goes at Newcastle , although I do have a $25 bonus bet from Sportsbet to use . Might put that on him in the cox plate at $201 but that’s restricted to a $10 bet the rats lol
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germanmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 10:45am
I understand that the decision was not made by Weiry but by a major owner. 
Personally, I think it's a big call. 
He could've raced last Saturday in the listed Heatherly over 1700m, which was incidentally won by Call Me Handsome who came 5th to Plein Ciel at their last starts. 
Prizemoney sacrificed there me thinks.
The Epsom is aiming very very high, I reckon. It's one of the hardest mile races in Australia to win but the only way he can make it into the field is to win a ballot exempt race, which brings the Group 3 Cameron into the equation at Newcastle where the major owners are from.
To come back to 1500m (Cameron) is not an easy task, hence him missing the Heatherly to be freshened up for it.
Still, he needs to go up 2-grade levels for the Cameron, go the reverse way of going, endure a very long float trip and come back in distance to win. Not to mention draw a good marble and have a good decent run and hope it's a dry track.
The Epsom - no horse has ever won the Cameron and gone on to win the Epsom.
Hope he does well though. What a task.

Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 11:13am
Off to Newcastle on friday
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 9:55am
Lovett said the jury was still out about another of the team's imports Plein Ciel after he ran second last in the Newcastle Cup last Friday.

"It's back to the drawing board with him now," Lovett lamented. "He went to pieces in the parade. They had trouble saddling him and they couldn't get him onto the track so I knew we were in a bit of trouble but I didn't think he'd run that bad.

"He appears to come in it OK and he was heavily supported but it wasn't to be."
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 10:22am
I think this horse behaved in the same way at Warrnambool one day and may have raced ordinary , wondering which leg this horse done tendon damage to previous, leading on opposite leg to Melb. may contribute to poor run , never looked likely to me in the run.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Prince 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 11:47am
Actually ran 4th last but never the less was a poor run , however first poor run Ever for him . I got great odds early , however when I saw the horse playing up more than usual , bolting on the way to the barrier and then covered in sweat from tip to tail I knew I'd done my dough before the race was even run . May he didn't like the trip away , maybe he didn't travel Sydney way of going , maybe he resented the jock , maybe he didn't enjoy being 3 wide the trip and widest in the home straight . Or maybe he just had a bad day .
Or the knockers might say maybe he's no good even after winning 6 and placing 4 from 11
He'll be better odds next start so I'll be on .
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Germanmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 4:22pm
I was at Newcastle races that day. 

I can say that the horse's chances were gone b4 the mounting yard. He was very upset. He didn't parade because of that. He was absolutely saturated from top to bottom by the time he got to the gates. Reaction to bee sting/spider bite ? I even thought that the vet would have a good look him. Jockey said he had nothing at the 800m mark. 

Not offering any excuses but I must say that the setting sun was very annoying down the straight. Have you ever driven a car directly into the setting sun where you just can't see a thing. It was that bad. 

I heard that he didn't make the trip home with the rest of the Weir runners. Interesting! Hope he's ok.

Not sure where he goes to from here.  Listed Country Cups?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Prince 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 8:26am

I heard that he didn't make the trip home with the rest of the Weir runners. Interesting! Hope he's ok.

<span style="line-height: 16.8px;">Not sure where he goes to from here.  Listed Country Cups?</span>
[/QUOTE]

Interesting . Are they hoping they'll fall away and he'll sneak into the Epsom ??
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germanmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 11:02am
Got word he arrived back to Victoria stable only this week. This seems very strange. 

He's been hanging out on a property around Port Stephens area near Stockton Beach.

To me, it seems things are not quite right with him. He is not nominated anywhere and he's been off the scene for a while now.

Since he is now back this week in the stable (training?) There is a LR worth $200K at Cranbourne on Sunday 21st Oct 1600m he might get set for, but since he has had time off the scene I would presume he may have a fitness run over a shorter distance b4 then. 

Not much around that would suit him following this break, except for a 1400m LR Flemington 6th Oct or 1400m LR Caulfield 13th Oct. 

I would say he might do Flemington (noms out Mon 1st Oct) as a top up, leaving him 2 weeks b4 Cranbourne.

That's if he does come back.

tillyras View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tillyras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 11:51am
I believe he has been staying with Big Duke, who also stayed in NSW after his last run.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 2:20pm
Nominated for Paris Lane 1400 on Sat
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Prince 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Shawy38 Shawy38 wrote:

Nominated for Paris Lane 1400 on Sat

Looks a winnable race on his best for . Aloud a first up didn't fire last prep . Tulip is an interesting runner very classy good win last start . Other than that I think he's one of the better horses . Back to 1400m ? Hmmm interesting
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Germanmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 9:40pm
1400m Tooo short
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Prince 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 11:22pm

1400m Tooo short

Winner over 1300 , winner over 1400m and place 3rd twice over 1400m including leaving on a unsuitable heavy track with a ride that could have been better .

Long long straight at Flemington.

On his best form he's a winning chance
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Prince 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 12:05pm
Is running in the Paris lane stakes over 1400 m, has pulled barrier 2 and has Brendon Avdulla aboard , why ? I'd be keeping Ben Allen on personally, Avdulla rode a dog of a race last time .
Tim Whiffler View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Whiffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:11pm
Aust Bloodstock are mates with Avdulla. Weir doesn’t have a choice. He slaughtered Big Duke in the Metropolitan as well.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 4:35pm
Avdulla booked by the owner
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 4:57pm
Let's be fair dinkum, Avdulla is a class or 3 above Allen as a jockey. 

It is about time Weir segregated his trackwork riders from his jockeys. 

reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 6:11pm
Sydney jockeys in Sydney &  the same for Melbourne. They all manage a few slaughters, some more than others & regularly on more fancied mounts.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 6:20pm
Avdulla is a Victrorian.

reductio ad absurdum
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 6:37pm
He might be a winning hope, but do not sell Eckstein short here.

Crack Me Up ran well down the straight, maybe the weight might get him but Plain Ciel will need to be as good as what some think he is to win here.

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Bonfield View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Black Prince 2 Black Prince 2 wrote:

1400m Tooo short

Winner over 1300 , winner over 1400m and place 3rd twice over 1400m including leaving on a unsuitable heavy track with a ride that could have been better .

Long long straight at Flemington.

On his best form he's a winning chance

I wouldn't say 1400m is too short for him to win, but I think he's better 1600m+, especially after a few runs.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Avdulla is a Victorian.

So is Prebble but as neither have ridden regularly in Vic. for many years, I don't consider they have the insight needed into current riders & track idiosyncrasies.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 7:52pm
I would rather top class jockeys rather than good track workers.

reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Prince 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 8:11am
Originally posted by Tim Whiffler Tim Whiffler wrote:

Aust Bloodstock are mates with Avdulla. Weir doesn’t have a choice. He slaughtered Big Duke in the Metropolitan as well.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Black Prince 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Avdulla is a Victorian.

So is Prebble but as neither have ridden regularly in Vic. for many years, I don't consider they have the insight needed into current riders & track idiosyncrasies.

I agree
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Germanmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 5:31pm
I suggested 1400m was too short because I thought second up over the mile, he didn't really show that turn of foot as he has previously. He was actually hard ridden at the 500m mark and made steady but good ground. So he is more seasoned now and drops 200m from that run. Will he have the speed to match these black type performed horses ? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>