Please visit VillageBet for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Pity the small breeder.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pity the small breeder.
    Posted: 26 Aug 2007 at 11:21pm
The movement ban has more ramifications than many would realise - how many mares close to foaling are still at home with their owners & due to go elsewhere to foal in the next week or three?
Most mare owners do not foal their mares at home but send them to a professional outfit with foaling staff etc - many mares will now be caught at home to foal either unattended or in unsuitable circumstance with owners who are ill equipped to deal with the situation. The foal mortality rate may be higher than the EI deaths - it will be a scary time for all of us waiting to see when horses can safely move again, which seems unlikely to be inside 30 days minimum.
I know the losses will be immense for outfits like Darley, Coolmore and so on - we ourselves will be very badly financially harmed. BUT what about the little guy who has one or two mare's only and is now stuck with them at home and close to foaling? Very scary!
I'm sure Runfer was one such who recently mentioned on here that his mares would go elsewhere to foal - are they still at home Runfer & when are they due?
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2007 at 11:24pm
So VSP how am i supposed to get a mare from broadwater farm to your place?
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2007 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by brismugpunter brismugpunter wrote:

So VSP how am i supposed to get a mare from broadwater farm to your place?

illegallySmile
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2007 at 11:36pm
oh well thats fine then!

you pay the 44k and do the 12 months and we have a deal!
Smile
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2007 at 12:00am

sounds great, can't wait! might be the only way we can get a bookingConfused

problem is - while Vic remains free i dont think anyone wants any interstaters at all crossing the border. Thanks and all that, but you can keep the plague in NSW for now.
Seriously, no movement will be a problem for us all BMG, my own mares are at Little Plains- no stallions there eitherCry
Bagman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bagman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2007 at 1:09am

How about a one time lift of ALL mares from a to b for coverings?

Takes a lot of land and trucks at one time but if the trucks are inactive for a time and cleaned top to bottom and havent been in contact with NSW horses ie flu free ,after say 7 days why not use them for a one off lift of say 50 mares. The girls go from paddock to stud farm and back.

Bearing in mind Im talking last roll of the dice scenario and space will be at a premium but at least it would be something.
I don't have one
rosehill View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosehill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2007 at 1:33am
Not just a NSW problem with  5 cases in QLD and  2  suspected in VIC . Reports are breaking by the hour.
goanna View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2007 at 3:11am
VSP

Your suggestion reminds me of a quote:

" I can pay for education, but stupidity comes free"

Look at what you are posting and reflect on what other people are also experiencing.

Now,are we still in a drought or not?
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2007 at 3:19am
Originally posted by goanna goanna wrote:

VSP

Your suggestion reminds me of a quote:

Look at what you are posting and reflect on what other people are also experiencing.

Now,are we still in a drought or not?

Not sure I understand you Goanna - what did I suggest that you are referring to?
Run For Fun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2007 at 4:38am
Originally posted by VSP. VSP. wrote:

VSP Your suggestion reminds me of a quote:  

Look at what you are posting and reflect on what other people are also experiencing. Now,are we still in a drought or not?

Not sure I understand you Goanna - what did I suggest that you are referring to?

Take no notice VSP.  Goanna's posts in the Breeding Forum rarely contain any positive content, but instead largely concentrate on attempted put-downs.  If in any doubt, just use the search function.  Or await a reaction to this post.
It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
whitters View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2007 at 4:52am
You are right though Cathy. Even if the situation improves and mares can be transported within their state. Many will now either foal down unexpectedly at home which as you point out brings it's own risks.

Or would travel much closer to foaling .Again a lot riskier. Or mare could well travel with a very young newborn, due to a re negotiated cover. Again definately not without risk.

whitters View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2007 at 5:41am
On Runfer though Cathy. I reckon he is big enough and wise enough to handle it. Don't know about lucky enough thoughBig%20smile. But guess thats cos he has been saving it all up. Plus he barracks for the maggies so is used to hardship, knocks and famine. Would have to have a very tough skin and be silly enough to take on anything!
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2007 at 5:49am
Originally posted by whitters whitters wrote:

On Runfer though Cathy. I reckon he is big enough and wise enough to handle it. Don't know about lucky enough thoughBig%20smile. But guess thats cos he has been saving it all up. Plus he barracks for the maggies so is used to hardship, knocks and famine. Would have to have a very tough skin and be silly enough to take on anything!

wise enough & barracks for the maggies
Aren't those two things mutually exclusive though?
I would have thougt the second one raises serious questions all roundWink
whitters View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2007 at 5:55am
Sorry and guess you are correct. Meant wise as in years and therefore experience. But yes when it comes to footy there really is no accounting for taste. He can more than likely blame his parents anyway.Big%20smile
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2007 at 5:57am
Yes, probably his parents fault!
I'm sure my parents have a LOT to answer for.
goanna View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2007 at 5:59am
Run For Fun

Your comments do little to alleviate this situation. What perhaps you and your close knit group should be promulgating, is that we are all in this together, so any deviation, no matter how tongue-in-cheek, does not go down with me and other like minded breeders. I sit on my verandah and watch horse trucks/floats go by, shade cloth over there side openings and think, these are the people who could be spreading this virus. Now, if you want to dispute this, fair enough, but I will bet there are many people who are seeing the same.

Now, the question is, which stud(s) are accepting these horses.

As far as my contributions to this forum, they have been few and considered.  What attracted me to this forum was the bold statement that it had "experts" making comment. You unfortunately do not fit into this category.
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2007 at 6:12am

.....we are all in this together, so any deviation, no matter how tongue-in-cheek, does not go down with me and other like minded breeders. I sit on my verandah and watch horse trucks/floats go by, shade cloth over there side openings and think, these are the people who could be spreading this virus....
Now, the question is, which stud(s) are accepting these horses.

GOANNA,
your response to RFF above confirms what I suspected about your first post - you have obviously engaged mouth before brain when you have taken exception somehow to my exchange with BMP. My answer to his question about sending his mare was simple - you CAN NOT legally do it!!!
I further stated that interstate movement should remain halted, and that we will all have to wear that for the benefit of everyone else regardless of personal impact. I would be fairly confident in saying I have far more to lose than you here & I will be strictly enforcing the rules for my own horses / clients horses / & any other horse I see out on the road.
Quite simply I doubt that any stud is accepting horses & if they are they should pay the maximum penalty.
As this seems to be a similar position to that which you have taken above I have to ask again - What the f... was your point?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic