Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Photo of the day, Or maybe many

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 27>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 12:09am
Hard to tell from those photos,  Sister.    I have seen some huge GCs , but some small runty ones too.  There are some nice ones around but , they always look rough to me.  At least the ones I have seen here in Ozz.  Maybe they are the back end of breeding left overs from UK.
Real gypsy coloured horses are a rough looking lot but if they have 1 or 2 blue eyes they are considered lucky horses.  
animals before people.
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 1:23pm
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Hard to tell from those photos,  Sister.    I have seen some huge GCs , but some small runty ones too.  There are some nice ones around but , they always look rough to me.  At least the ones I have seen here in Ozz.  Maybe they are the back end of breeding left overs from UK.
Real gypsy coloured horses are a rough looking lot but if they have 1 or 2 blue eyes they are considered lucky horses.  

We had a wagon ride business long ago, we found that any horse with heavy feathering is susceptible to thrush, greasy heel, mud fever, even canker in hot, wet weather. Wet and cold ie England, Scotland suits them better. Hard work keeping those legs clean also, but Tom & Major were lovely boys, Clydesdale, Australian Draught. Def a bit of Shire in there, both over 17hh 😊
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 2:07pm
Now you are talking !   Or should I say showing !!!Thumbs Up
animals before people.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 2:56pm
Lining up for the final ascent ofMount Everest.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 2:58pm
That looks like fun Cry
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 3:01pm
10 have died this season.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 3:45pm
And they are having a big melt and all the old bodies, and body waste, is being exposed. 
animals before people.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 4:23pm
That is not a real photo is it ? 
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 4:40pm
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

You would swear it was fake, wouldn't you- incredible. I could not think of anywhere on Earth I would rather NOT be.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

I suppose if I read the article it might tell me, But I will ask anyway. How are they getting back down ?

I am not sure they just come down the other side ? 
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 5:49pm
Whilst the article does say it I still get the impression that photo is fake.

People are at the peak and it is impossible to get to the peak and get down for the next person to get there...
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 5:50pm

Mount Everest Is Now So Busy Climbers Are Dying in Traffic Jams

SIOBHáN O'GRADY, THE WASHINGTON POST
27 MAY 2019

Anjali Kulkarni, an Indian mountain climber, trained for six years to make it to the top of Mount Everest, the highest mountain peak in the world. She finally fulfilled her longtime goal when she reached the summit this week. But it was the descent that killed her.

Her son, Shantanu Kulkarni, told CNN that she died after getting stuck in a "traffic jam" on the mountain.

"She had to wait for a long time to reach the summit and descend," Thupden Sherpa, who organized tours on the mountain, told Agence France-Presse.

"She couldn't move down on her own and died as Sherpa guides brought her down."

Two other Indian hikers, Kalpana Das, 52, and Nihal Bagwan, 27, also died this week. Keshav Paudel, who organized tours on the mountain, told AFP that Bagwan was "stuck in the traffic for more than 12 hours and was exhausted."

On Saturday, a 44-year-old British man, Robin Haynes Fisher, died shortly after reaching the summit, bringing the death toll for this season to at least 10, as a few days of clear weather attracted huge numbers of climbers hoping to scale the 29,029-foot (8,848 meter) peak.

"Our guides tried to help but he died soon after," the company Fisher traveled with told the BBC.

A number of other people have died elsewhere in Nepal's Himalayan mountains this season. Nepal has issued around 380 permits for those hoping to climb the mountain, AFP reported.

They cost about US$11,000 each, and hikers are accompanied by local, and sometimes international, guides.

A chilling photograph from Everest (above) shows a long line of mountaineers queuing to ascend a steep ridge to the summit. The photo was shot by Nirmal Purja, an avid mountaineer, who wrote in an Instagram caption that he estimated there were 320 people waiting in line.

Traffic jams create dangerous situations for climbers, who are often already exhausted and carrying heavy loads while battling altitude sickness, which can make people dizzy and nauseated.

Gordon Janow, director of programs at Alpine Ascents International, has been organizing treks to Everest for about 30 years. He said overcrowding often occurs, but "every year seems to be worse and worse."

When a line starts to back up, "you're changing your natural pace so you're spending more time in this high altitude zone than might be necessary if you were climbing 10 to 15 years ago," he said.

Alpine Ascents currently has a group of a dozen climbers on the mountain, he said, and one of the most important skills for the guides who accompany them "is knowing when to turn people around."

"The idea isn't to push yourself to the ultimate maximum to reach the summit," he said. "Then there's no steam or energy left in your body to get down."

Everest attracts climbers from around the globe, and the victims come from diverse backgrounds:

• Séamus Lawless, an assistant professor of computer science at Trinity College in Ireland, went missing May 16 when he slipped and fell shortly near the summit, on a different side of the mountain from where the main traffic jam is taking place.
  • The Independent reported that a second Irish climber, Kevin Hynes, died Friday. He had climbed parts of Everest before, and the British group he traveled with, 360 Expeditions, said in a statement that he was "one of the strongest and most experienced climbers on our team."
  • Earlier this week an American, Donald Lynn Cash, 55, of Utah, died after falling sick, possibly from the high altitude. It was unclear what role, if any, the traffic jams had in his death.
  • And a 65-year-old Austrian man is also among the dead.

Last year, 807 people reached the mountain's summit, more than had ever reached the top in a single year before. When climbers choose to scale Everest, they do so understanding the perils they could encounter along the way.

In addition to the risks of altitude sickness and exhaustion, there have been a number of avalanches on the mountain over the years, including one set off by the catastrophic 7.8 magnitude earthquake that struck Nepal in 2015.

In that instance, an avalanche swept down the mountain and through a base camp, killing at least 18 people and injuring dozens more.

Still, most who make the trek expect to come home.

Cash, who took a sabbatical from his executive job at BMC Software to finish scaling the world's seven highest peaks, wrote on LinkedIn before his trip that he was "excited to look for the next chapter of my career in June when I return. Safely. With all my digits."

Instead, his body will remain on Everest.

2019 © The Washington Post

This article was originally published by The Washington Post.

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 6:31pm
I read it and I still do not believe that photo is real.

reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 6:40pm
I've seen footage on one of the news channels.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 6:44pm
I saw it on the news,, when they were talking about the most recent bloke that died in the last couple of days, and in the footage, those people were actually moving.  Thats where I saw them talking about the melting, and bodies, and feaces ,  ( sp ? ) etc all being exposed , too. 
I am with Tiaz on this one.  That would be the last place on earth I would choose to be .
animals before people.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 12:01am
reductio ad absurdum
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 1:11am
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 1:53am
animals before people.
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 10:16am
Riding on air 😁

Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 10:25am
The rare Poitou Donkey, a Rastafarian donkey from France was highly prized in the Middle Ages to pull wealthy peoples carriages,
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 10:27am
War donkey
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 10:28am
Mule 🤔👍
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 4:31pm
animals before people.
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

How good are these ! 

Just another reason to jump in the van, load up the dogs and hit the road 😊 lots of people following the silo trail, there are oodles of them, awesome!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 12:36pm
Thumbs Up Might come with you Big smile
animals before people.
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 1:00pm
TBC 🇦🇺 😊
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 10:42am
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 12:52pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 27>