Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Pacquiao v Horn JULY 2 , Brisbane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pacquiao v Horn JULY 2 , Brisbane
    Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 7:16pm

senator pac is in town for a 1 week press tour.

who wins?
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 8:51pm
Put the lot on the Filipino ....           Light years up in the class department.

Both decent men and a credit to sport ,   No ( Mundine chit ) .          Big for Brisbane , & Australia But a very vulnerable pupil this time is our young man Horne.
      Prone to cut eyes and has been knocked down in his past 2 by ageing has- beens . NO hope.

Manny looks well and is a true elite of his sport.
cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 9:10pm
Pretty much agree macca.

this is the type of fight a 38 yr old superstar takes when his star is fading in his regular market. (USA) .

he is way ahead of horn in class and experience. being a fast southpaw helps against horn too. But he has alot of miles on the odometer...he has been a pro since he was 16 yrs old. Father time is undefeated. based on his last fight v vargas...he doesnt look there yet. still fast and reflexes are sharp.

Horn is a tricky style - he throws alot. Weird angles and has a good eye. his best asset is probably his workrate/stamina. But he is seriously flawed - he squares up alot and has a bad habit of rushing in (especially when trying to land his right hand) . he needs to catch manny flush.

pacs age is the only worry. other than that, he shouldnt have many problems with horn.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 9:57pm
Yes C' Cllueless.      Well observed .          Hands down , very much off balance when leading with the right , far too often .              .    Manny's experience will teach him to stop that.
    As you say he has youth & stamina but One Bout in NZ and I think that is his only International travels . 
    Like our swimmers ,   it is a big jump to the world stage.         I've watched most of Horne's bouts in there entirety and while always outpointing the opponent he has  looked vulnerable & off balance too often .   Not at all impressive for this rise in class.
  We can only hope & wish him well .       The 10 million purse would have you and me willing to get in there,    aye.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 10:16pm
He has fought in nz quite a few times...nz promoter behind him, they have plenty of $. olympian too...he doesnt appear affected by pressure but thatmight change with this fight. Tbh, horn only has to perform well to keep his career alive with his new co promoter Toprank. If he gives manny a good fight, he will have good options and paydays afterwards.

pac will get about 10 mill...im guessing horns purse will be around 300-500k. maybe some local ppv bonuses thrown in etc. that might seem a low ball purse for a fight against pac, but again...i think this is more about opportunity. The carrot for horn is what happens after manny, should he stage an upset. $$$$$
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 9:49pm
Copy & P (    Taking all of this in next to me, Horn said Pacquiao was such a nice guy it was a shame they had to punch each other on July 2.)

What a nice young man is our Qld fighter ,      Great to see both of these gentlemen ,   travelling , dining etc.   together ,        In such a professional manner.

I do hope Horne can meet the standards for such a rise in class .     He deserves it .
  Manny is a great champion ,   at 38 is no spring chicken but probably far too good.
  Both men have earned great respect during this promotional tour
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 5:20pm
Ticket sales higher than expected so Manny gets well over the 10 million and Horne over 1 million.
   Being a "god" in his home Country , Manny will have 90% of the Philippines viewing.
Biggest audience ever for Australian boxing event.
Horne appears to be a "big " welterweight and hopefully he won't be leading with his right so often as it leaves him off balance .    A fault that has seen him on the canvas a few times , cut eyes 3 times so his lead up form doesn't read World Champion to me .
Flamethrower View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flamethrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 10:50pm
Manny hasn't had a knock out since he was on the PEDs. I feel only two outcomes could arise from this matchup:
1. Horn by KO
2. Manny by decision

I'm leaning towards Horn by KO in front of his hometown. Manny has clocked up alot of mileage, has been knocked out viciously before, is getting older. Horn is durable and should be able to take a shot. I see Horn hitting the floor thanks to a flash knockdown or two. I also see Horn catching Manny with a hard shot and ending the fight, perhaps mid rounds.

Tip: Horn to force a stoppage somewhere between 4-8
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 9:04am
manny and ped talk is truth
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 9:19am
Pacquiao is gunning for a rematch with Mayweather.LOL I know boxing fans are extremely stupid but do you think even they are dumb enough to pay for that one again?Dead
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Pacquiao is gunning for a rematch with Mayweather.LOL I know boxing fans are extremely stupid but do you think even they are dumb enough to pay for that one again?Dead

WHY Stupid Tiaz ?

No tougher or brutal than ( say ) rugby league .

Officials being incompetent is the biggest danger , as was shown in a fatality at Ingleburn RSL.      That was disgraceful as the victim was obviously helpless long before he was killed .
Cricket had a fatality not so long ago.

This Contest on July 2nd is huge for Australia , Qld < Brisbane.
Massive world wide audience.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 5:14pm
manny was on his phone the whole time during the press con this morning.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

WHY Stupid Tiaz ?

No tougher or brutal than ( say ) rugby league .

Officials being incompetent is the biggest danger , as was shown in a fatality at Ingleburn RSL.      That was disgraceful as the victim was obviously helpless long before he was killed .
Cricket had a fatality not so long ago.

This Contest on July 2nd is huge for Australia , Qld < Brisbane.
Massive world wide audience.

Why would paying good money for Mayweather v Pacman 2 be extremely stupid? Because Mayweather has been retired for 2 years and he's past his past: Pacman is long past his best: it would be a guaranteed defensive snorefest like the first one because Pacman doesn't have the skills to pay a glove on Mayweather.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 5:31pm
No more stupid than paying money for the upcoming Mayweather v Conor McGregor circus
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

No more stupid than paying money for the upcoming Mayweather v Conor McGregor circus

a farce that the nevada state athletic commission would sanction a guy with no boxing fights, other than a few amateur fights as a 16 yr old, against the best pro fighter in the world.

$$$.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 6:00pm
The last one of these events I watched was Muhammad Ali v Antonio Anoki mixed wrestling farce in the mid 70's where Anoki kicked Ali's leg for 15 rounds and Ali nearly lost the leg 
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 7:01pm
Unfortunately when great boxers hit the wall they can go downhill pretty quick. Roy Jones Jnr went from the best pound for pound fighter in the world to a fellow who couldn't beat time with a stick. Lost one fight in 15 years & then lost 7 of his next 12 including Danny Green. Sad
Refer ALP Election Promises
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 7:28pm
Neither combatant will escape unscathed, nor probably enhance his reputation.

All too much like the Cabo v PT stouch on here.   Stern Smile

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Unfortunately when great boxers hit the wall they can go downhill pretty quick. Roy Jones Jnr went from the best pound for pound fighter in the world to a fellow who couldn't beat time with a stick. Lost one fight in 15 years & then lost 7 of his next 12 including Danny Green. Sad

very true. you get old overnight in boxing & father time is undefeated. pac has many miles on his odometer...turned pro at 16 yrs old, 67 fights later...

if he half arsed it in camp for this fight, horn has a slight chance. horn is a big welter and has good stamina and an awkward style.

the problems with horn - he has glaring flaws. doesnt catch or block punches with his gloves (relies on slipping, movement), keeps his hands low, squares up and rushes in to close distance.

i think his team also did him no favors by relying on one sparring partner - czar amonsot. he used 2 amateur kids for a few days prior to that. he should have had a rotation of guys from overseas. in saying that...topank and wildcard look to have done the same - manny sparred with a few no name filos and up n coming 12-0 aussie george kambosos - a lightweight.

if the manny of his last fight turns up, he will light horn up. easy work. if he has slipped and had a lousy camp...horn is good enough to atleast compete with him.

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 8:15pm
Good post Cabo, horn has to loose 4 kilo's is what I last heard, never laid eye's on him, has he got the build for that , or have you heard any different re weight?
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flamethrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 8:41pm
This fight has a stench to it. My feeling is that Manny is here for a retirement cheque and has barely trained for this fight. His dedication to the sport is surely on the decline after fighting for the best part of 2 decades. In ordinary circumstances, Horn would be completely out of his depth. But as Golovkin would says, "this is boxing....big drama show". The drama that I can see unfolding here is that Manny is sloppy and walks onto a nice right hand. Manny is then stopped, walks away with $10m+ and rides off into the sunset. Horn becomes the world's richest school teacher over night. Manny have the desire left for this game? I doubt it. Sugar Shame Mosley did the old 1-2 after being retired by Mundane. Roy Jones barely threw a punch against Green in a 1st round knockout. Notice the theme? Fighters come here to pick up the cheque and because Australia isn't part of the boxing conciousness, a loss here wouldn't carry the same gravitas as Vegas, NY or even London.

I maintain that Horn will KO him between 4 and 8 or just generally get him out of there by way of injury or perhaps something fairly innocuous such as a leg injury.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 8:45pm
Manny ;- won his Title back only months ago after vacating it.
He cruised to an easy points win over Olympic Gold winner and world welterweight champion Jessie Vargus.
He is a clean living and busy fighter who would appear to be light years ahead of Horne in all areas , despite his age and long career.
Winx back in a welter here.
Horne has had cut eyes (3 times ) and got off the floor ( twice ) to win his most recent fights against has been opponents .
He will find the aggressive non stop Manny a massive hurdle ..
        I HOPE I'M WRONG ----        But I think NO CHANCE
Having to shed 5K within days of weigh in won't add to Horne's chances either.
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flamethrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 8:51pm
Do you have a credible source for this supposed 5kg weight loss?

If that is the case then Horn is dumber than he looks and may as well not turn up. You can't possibly lose that much weight in the final days without it having a detrimental effect. What the heck is going on here?
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Flamethrower Flamethrower wrote:

Do you have a credible source for this supposed 5kg weight loss?

If that is the case then Horn is dumber than he looks and may as well not turn up. You can't possibly lose that much weight in the final days without it having a detrimental effect. What the heck is going on here?

Press reports only Flamethrower .       Horne is certainly a "big welterweight" to the eye.   Towers over Manny.
We must not forget Manny has met the likes of De La Hoya , Mayweather ( largest money fight ever ) and is regarded as one of the best of all time . ( Having won 11 world titles during his career)
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 9:16pm
Pacman $1.24
Green Hornet $5.60
Draw $36
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Pacman $1.24
Green Hornet $5.60
Draw $36

GREAT to see you back Mr Manewer .
We need sensible conservatives around here . ( with a brain )       

The odds are skinny on Manny so no value but I repeat ,     It is
Winx back in a Welter.
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flamethrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 9:29pm
For mine there are 3 Manny's.

Manny v 1.0 - pre PEDS, good fighter in the lower weight classes, had a few wars, beat credible challengers
Manny v 2.0 - on PEDS - destroyed everyone in his path - Cotto, Margarito, Hatton etc. There are YouTube documentaries pointing out the fact the size of his head expanded whilst on the gear.
Manny v 3.0 - Post PEDS - suffered a horrific knock out at the hands of JMM, scrapped around with feather fisted Tim Bradley, won a few messy decisions, lost to Money May handily, beat Vargas who isn't that good anyway, now fighting in Brisbane. Manny v3.0 carried visibly less power due to his renewed faith in God apparently !!!

Manny 3.0 hasn't scored a KO in a while and Horn fighting in front of the Bris Vegas faithful should ensure Horn bites down hard on that gumshield and trades leather. If Horn fails to do that, then Horn may as well start biting on that pillow now. Did you get that one Macca ? LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Pacman $1.24
Green Hornet $5.60
Draw $36

GREAT to see you back Mr Manewer .
We need sensible conservatives around here . ( with a brain )       

The odds are skinny on Manny so no value but I repeat ,     It is
Winx back in a Welter.

Good to see you are still alive and kicking ! I did pop in occasionally here for a look, mainly to get a chuckle from your quips.
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 9:50pm
Heading off to Suncorp Stadium on Sunday with a great bunch of mates including a few former Maroons!

Our tickets are right in front of the action.

Can't wait for the showdown!
Current Stable - Soul Star & Adivinar + Lady Vega
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 9:51pm
Horn seems not to be at all over-awed, that, or he would make a good poker player.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>