Join up at Bet Easy - Click here - Bet Easy is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Conformation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

over at the knees

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlin1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: over at the knees
    Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 4:51pm
hi is this a major problem over at the knees, would you guys breed to horse with this problem,think i read some where awhile back that horses over at the knees hardly never have tendon injuries,i think it was hot danishs trainers vet that  said this,so he went ahead and brought the mare
thanks for any info
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 1:29pm
Imo, no, it's not. Show ring yes, but I believe it's actually beneficial in gallopers as there's less liklihood of knee hyper extension (chips) & as you stated, a flow on effect on tendons/ligaments below it. Many yrs ago, we bought a 10yo who almost looked like he was bent legged but when a well renowned old trainer saw him, he said "That horse'll never break down with those knees!". He was right & another win was around the corner Wink
Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
VEEEIGHT View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VEEEIGHT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 4:18pm

As long as over at the knees is not an optical illusion caused by being cut out behind the knees ie a tied in cannon combined with long sloping pasterns.

Easily smashed
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2010 at 7:19pm

http://webspace.webring.com/people/qm/mindari_stud_australia/st-simon.html

They were known as 'Galloping Forelegs' back in St. Simons' time Big smile

Experience is something you gain a few minutes after you could have used it!
marlin1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlin1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 7:09am
thanks for that info gay3 and and the others who replied much appreciated
cheers marlin
orpen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orpen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2010 at 7:32am

Often considered a sign of speed.

Black Bean, a very good Melbourne sprinter, who won the Galaxy G1, was very 'over at the knee'.

He was euthanised after cracking a leg in the Australia Stakes at Moonee Valley, but I don't know if  that was related directly to being over at the knee.

Jim Pike View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Pike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 4:45pm
A lot of faults in horses depend on how bad the faults is and what other faults the horses has, some faults will exacerbate other faults and some other conformation points can compensate somewhat for minor faults, it is not a question that you can give a definitive answer to without seeing the actual horse in the flesh, obviously some faults are worse than others, ie. better to be over at the knee than back at the knee as a general rule, I have seen a lot of horses and have yet to see the perfect one conformation wise, I usually look at the engine first(body) if it has all the attributes I am looking for eg, Balance/Geometry/Angles etc I will make allowances for the legs, doesn't mean I will accept any defects just I would rather the defect be in the legs than the body, no good having good legs on a slow horse, I would rather buy a fast horse and try to manage the legs as much as possible, like give them plenty of time, if you have bottomless bank account you don't have to make any allowances(or at least very few) I have never been in that financial position,
Not much help with your current problem I know for which I apologise but that is the way I see it 
mouse View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 8:20pm
plenty of star kingdom blood over at the knee.
tauto View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tauto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 7:42am
I'm pretty sure that was the worry about Danehill offspring early days and look what he did!!!
TAUTO/WINFREUX
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 7:26pm
I remember a horse by Vain (looked a lot like him too) I rode trackwork in the late 70s - very over at the knees, so much io he used to quiver in the legs when standing - he won 11 races.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic