Please visit VillageBet for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

opinions wanted - Event Date: 01 Sep 2007

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sophie19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: opinions wanted
    Posted: 02 Sep 2007 at 12:53am
Looking for opinions and advice on a suitable stallion for my mare. She is a Corporate raider / Gayles Way ( sire Oenjay Star) Unraced mare 7yrs old. Would appreciate the advice as not sure what stallion would best suit. Mare is located in western australia. Yhank you
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Bet Easy.

Run For Fun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2007 at 2:11am
Originally posted by sophie19 sophie19 wrote:

Looking for opinions and advice on a suitable stallion for my mare. She is a Corporate raider / Gayles Way ( sire Oenjay Star) Unraced mare 7yrs old. Would appreciate the advice as not sure what stallion would best suit. Mare is located in western australia. Yhank you

Hi sophie19.

How about Eyeful or Magic Of Sydney?

But first you'll have to register the mare
It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
djebel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2007 at 2:55am

STRIKE WHILST THE IRON IS HOT

reductio ad absurdum

The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least.

coastal chill View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coastal chill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2007 at 3:37am

Why is your mare not named? I couldn't see how old she was.Do you want to sell or race the resulting foals?In what financial range do you want to go?

Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coastal chill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2007 at 7:12am
Sorry Sophie you did say you mare was 7.If you can get her named[can sometimes take a couple of weeks]a stallion whose progeny I viewed today,Mosayter, goes well with your mare and the 2yr.olds,yearlings,weaners and new babies are lovely types ,good temp.
sophie19 View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sophie19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2007 at 2:55am
Thanks for the advice, she is registerd. Why did you think this stallion is right for her?
sophie19 View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sophie19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2007 at 3:12am
Thank you everyone for helping. I purchased Rumour as we call her 3yrs ago at a clearing auction (knackers) for 200.00 and contacted owner who also bred her and have her papers, unfortunately he had a large number of broodmares and young stock but all were in poor condition (hence price) she is only small 15h and he had done some track work with her as a 2yr old. She has a beautiful laid back nature (great in a hack, not such a good thing if you want a competitive racehorse!). Not a huge budget to work with but would like to see what she could drop. We put her in foal 2ys ago to a q/horse and she dropped a spectacular little filly with exc conformation good strong legs and bone. Lovely temperament, we bred her originally for our daughter to go on with. She dropped such an impressive foal our thoughts turned to what she could do with the appropriate t/bred. I am a vet nurse and my employers father has trained for many yrs although retired now, he has had a look at her and suggested we have a go!I am very new to this so all your advice is most welcome and appreciated very much. Cheers to all and thanks again
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coastal chill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2007 at 3:33am
Mosayter is bred on the same x as the very successful sire Tale of the Cat [Storm Cat/Mr.Prospector]It crosses very well with Star Kingdom...and out of early crops of T of theC.that x resulted in 4runners -2winners and a stakes winner.Mosayter looks to have also passed on good bone.I think the RDA have Noms.4 sale.
Annie View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2007 at 3:46am
Hi Sophie Firstly there is nothing wrong with a laid back nature they are much easier to train and on race day are much better than your wound up ones, being laid back doesnt mean they cant run.

you must have a wide choice of sires, go for it and good luck.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2007 at 3:47am

Thanks for the advice, she is registerd. Why did you think this stallion is right for her?

A mating with Eyeful would suit your budget (prob @ $1k), and he's a very well bred fellow.

But more importantly would combine some marvelous crosses close up, for example Bletchingly 4 x 3 (and Star Kingdom 6,6,6 x 5,5), Fair trial 6,7 x 6,6,7, Nearco 7,7 x 5,5 and Makarpura 6,7 x 6,6.

And thus heaps of hallmark broodmares Scapa Flow and Lady Juror.

Best of luck with your choice.

Cheers
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2007 at 4:26am
Whoops, forgot to say that Eyeful, winner of 4 races from 8 or 9 starts, is by the successful sire Strategic from the stakes-winning mare Paris Miss. 

Paris Miss is also the dam of Ruffles (Champion older mare and winner of the Newmarket H etc) and multiple stakes-winner Ateates - who are 3/4 sisters to Eyeful being by Strategic's sire Zeditave.

Eyeful is not commercial, but appears an ideal type if you're breeding to race.

Cheers
sophie19 View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sophie19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2007 at 1:37am
 What stud does eyeful stand at? what do you think of Wily Trader? some one has suggested him? I suppose a coprporate raider / wily trader horse should probably be called stock exchange, footsie, or dow jones at any rate!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2007 at 2:32am

What stud does eyeful stand at? what do you think of Wily Trader? some one has suggested him? I suppose a coprporate raider / wily trader horse should probably be called stock exchange, footsie, or dow jones at any rate!

Wiley Trader provides the same Biscay cross as does Eyeful, without quite the concentration of speed that the latter provides (imo).

Understand Eyeful stands at Rocliffe Sud in Northam.

Cheers
samvee View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samvee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2007 at 6:20am
Lord Dane - he is a promising stallion... may very well sire the winner of this years 1st 2yo race in VIC!!! U heard it first here!!!
pdriver View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 10:00pm
Eyeful is producing nice foals too! have one due to drop in 2 weeks!
pdriver View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 10:11pm
Don't like the Mosayter one much though....Although he is producing beaut foals too, -   imo Lords a Leaping is an excellent cross as is Eyeful. - I would have said Metaldale, but you say your mare is pretty small....
sophie19 View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sophie19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2007 at 10:00am
Yes she is pretty small although she has good straight legs. Thanks for the info. I will make enquireis about eyeful. Made a mistake before she was registered but not named which means I will need to submit names end transfer ownership through the wa turf club? I have a bill of sale for her from auction will this be enough proof of ownership or will I need paperwork from previous owner? I have his contact details and when I last spoke to him he wanted a share in her first foal before transfering her paperwork. Im not sure if the info he has given is correct, when I purchased her at the auction she was advertised as a corporate raider mare, her reg number is aus 00742663. any advice on what to do next? Thanks
On The Range View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote On The Range Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2007 at 11:52am

Hi Sophie.  There is a Stud Book ID Certificate with that Life No. and breeding for a Grey mare showing brands 6/0 left shoulder and BBG or BB6 right shoulder, does your mare fit that description?

She will need to be registered if you want to register her foals. If you canít get the papers off her previous owners, you could try contacting Stud Book and apply for a new book, for a fee http://www.studbook.org.au.  

If itís the same as in NSW because sheís not registered, there should be no need to transfer ownership. Then when you have her papers go here to register her.   http://www.rwwa.com.au/index.html

Hope that helps

sophie19 View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sophie19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2007 at 12:10am
Yes rumour fits the description, I have looked at that site and that is her.So she has been certified but not registerd. Ok so if the previous owner will not give me her paperwork I can still try to register her if I apply for a new book. I will try again to get what paperwork he has and go from there. Thank you for your patience with me over this, Obviously I am a complete novice in regards to all of this and all your advice has been given freely and without predjiduce or condescending which I appreciate greatly.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote On The Range Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2007 at 10:36am

Your mare is foal recorded, but not registered. Registration involves naming a horse and a thoroughbred cannot race or have registered foals that can race until they themselves are named and registered. To register a TB you need their Document of Description (DOD) or ID Card.

Because she was returned to the stud book as a foal and blood typed (parentage verified) she can be registered. Because you own her and have proof of purchase, you can apply for a new DOD or ID Card. Iím guessing she will need to be DNA tested, but if you speak to the stud book and explain your situation, they will advise you on the process.

When you have the DOD or ID card you can register her.  Have a read of the application form: Application to Register a Horse .

Many people sell thoroughbreds without their papers. Usually itís because they donít want a horse to be raced again. In your case the mare was sold as un-named at a clearing sale for no money and her old owner probably felt he did not have to give you her papers, if indeed he still has them.  The suggestion of share in her first foal was a bluff, you own her 100% and you can do whatever you like with her. If you want to breed her this year I wouldnít bother trying to recover her original DOD from the old owner, Iíd go straight to the Stud Book, but thatís up to you

Also, as advised, it can take a few weeks to get her registered especially at this time of the year when many 2yoís are being registered. And you have to pick a name that is not already in use. To check on names in use go here:  http://www.racingnsw.com.au/regosearch.asp

I hope this explains things more clearly and Iím sure the Stud Book will be happy to help you.

sophie19 View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sophie19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2007 at 8:15am
Thank you. I will now contact the stud book and start the process.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote On The Range Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2007 at 9:04am

My pleasure Sophie, happy to help.

Good luck with it all and I hope it results in a lovely foal.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic