Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Tributes Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Octagonal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonecrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Octagonal
    Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 6:12am
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.

antlowes View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlowes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 10:00am
nice little tribute - looking forward to the Denman one in years to come Wink
M.D.3 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.D.3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 10:19am
Great video, here is another good one.

Dahlia View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dahlia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 12:50am
Love Occy, one of the best rides I have ever seen was Dye winning the Chipping Norton on him, stalked the field and came from behind on the turn.  Used to barely be able to watch the finish of his races but he would dive at the end and get a nose in front. 
Toltrice View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toltrice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 4:32am
Occy was one horse who sure knew where the finishing post was!

I only ever got to see him race once - at the Australian Cup where he won in the last stride.

I'ts a race I'll never forget.
Run For Fun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 5:16am
Don't really have an opinion either way.

Would just note that this season he's higher on the Australian General Sires List than the following stallions, all of whom have had a similar number of individual starters in Oz:

Elvstroem S/F 27.5k
Pins 45k
Danewin 22k
Stravinsky 35k 
Dehere 33k
Not A Single Doubt 14k
Statue Of Liberty 17.6k

It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
Shakamaker View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shakamaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 5:24am
Originally posted by Dahlia Dahlia wrote:

Love Occy, one of the best rides I have ever seen was Dye winning the Chipping Norton on him, stalked the field and came from behind on the turn.  Used to barely be able to watch the finish of his races but he would dive at the end and get a nose in front. 

We must have watched a different race, the one I saw he took off from last at the 800, pinched a break and held of Juggler by over a length
Run For Fun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 6:35am
Originally posted by Run For Fun Run For Fun wrote:

Don't really have an opinion either way.

Would just note that this season he's higher on the Australian General Sires List than the following stallions, all of whom have had a similar number of individual starters in Oz:

Elvstroem S/F 27.5k
Pins 45k
Danewin 22k
Stravinsky 35k 
Dehere 33k
Not A Single Doubt 14k
Statue Of Liberty 17.6k 

Sorry, posted this in the wrong thread.  Embarrassed
It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
Dahlia View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dahlia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 7:05am
What were you watching then Shakamaker?  Occy was at the back of the field at the 800 and by the 600 had taken off with Boss on Juggler after him?  It was a great ride and a great win.
Shakamaker View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shakamaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 7:19am
I was commenting on your post in which you stated he stalked the field and 'came from behind on the turn' Confused
Dahlia View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dahlia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 7:26am
Sorry pedantic one, he was behind at 800 m and sitting back and Dye pounced, if we watch the same race and have a different view of it, what is the problem or are you one of these sad people who have nothing better to do than look for fights in an online forum??? 
saintly96 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintly96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2010 at 8:08am
I still can't believe he nutted Arkady on the line either. Never looked like he was going to get there that day but he did.

Saintly looked to have had his measure a few times in the AJC Derby as well.

He was a great horse.
melbsteve View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melbsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 2:37am
I remember the Sunday after Octagonal beat Arkady in the Mercedes Classic on a sports/racing show that was hosted by John Tapp.  The Inghams were special guests and John Tapp made a comment which didn't go down too well with the owners.  After watching the replay of Octagonal scraping home to beat Arkady, Tappy quipped...."There is no doubting Octagonal is a great racehorse but really, what would Kingston Town have done to Arkady"?  Magic moment in television, not because i agreed with him but because of the "balls" it would have taken to actually say that with Jack and Bob sitting right next to you as your guests.  Jack and Bob obviously defended their champion with "coming back from injury" etc, but i really think the King would have toyed with the Big O.
BROOKE View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BROOKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 5:43pm
In all respect Steve, but Octagonal ran far better times than Kingston Town.
Saintly was a world class horse.
Octgaonal could have won a Melbourne Cup back then.
But when you go through all the sectional of races, Octagonal was always running better times than Kingston Town.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic