Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

WEATHER

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 28>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 9:28am
We had the full complement of weather conditions yesterday for the wedding. Heat, blustering winds up on the Bulli escarpment, an ominous blanket of dark clouds descending which luckily didn't deliver until after we were esconsed in the marquee room and then a clearing which allowed the majesty of the view from the escarpment to be enjoyed... all the way down the Illawarra coast.   Now the only thing under the weather are the wedding guests. I'm totally buggered.
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 12:23pm
Raining again here.  Yesterday was so very hot and the humidity was vile. 
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 12:29pm
You may have more to come after Easter too acacia Smile
Wonderful for everyone who's getting it whilst the temps are still warm enough to achieve decent response Smile
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 2:08pm
I hope the farmers paddocks are growing like our yard is !   And I so hope over the hill at Scone they get some.  I saw a news clip of the air show at Scone yesterday, and its as brown and dry as chips.
animals before people.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 2:49pm
Chris was there and no they didn't get the rain.  It's so hit and miss and that part of the hunter is definately on the hit list.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 1:13pm
For all of you suffering the heat & humidity LOL

Ballarat:
Feels Like
4.6°C

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 7:36pm
Been hot all week, and just now a big storm front moving across Raymond Terrace/Maitland/ and way to the north, and its going to come over us before too long.  Just hope there is no hail.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 8:39pm
Lots of very heavy rain that lasted about half hour, and now all gone.  Cooled down a bit, which is nice.
Looked hot at Randwick today.
animals before people.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 10:24am
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 11:34pm
Its rained here for the last 5 days.   Non stop.  Just rain, not flooding rain, but its all wet and mucky now.  If only they could get it over around Scone/Denman .    First time in over 20 years of visiting Widden Valley that it hasnt been glowing green. 
animals before people.
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 6:43pm
Thread goes back on top due to the impressive dust storm which made headlines here where I am in Ukraine.

So how much dust did you eat for dinner tonight?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 7:03pm
We got quite a bit, but it was very windy so most of it has moved on now.  Just arrived as I finished a huge spring clean too Cry  Some poor people,s paddocks have now blown out to sea.  Its snowing, as in blizzard conditions,  in the Snowy Mountains.  And over near Medowie, and near Pelor Main, which is Kurri way,  they are fighting out of control bushfires this afternoon.
animals before people.
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

We got quite a bit, but it was very windy so most of it has moved on now.  Just arrived as I finished a huge spring clean too Cry  Some poor people,s paddocks have now blown out to sea.  Its snowing, as in blizzard conditions,  in the Snowy Mountains.  And over near Medowie, and near Pelor Main, which is Kurri way,  they are fighting out of control bushfires this afternoon.

This kind of weather pattern with lows forming rapidly and moving swiftly with high wind gusts at this time of the year are a rarity.

If it was late winter or early spring and there was no inkling of a drought then this massive dust storm would not of happened as such.

I was involved in a dust storm once travelling near the Southern California-Arizona border aroundChristmas time and also the area had been through a gripping drought. Winds do whip up at that time of the year. As we got closer to the blackout conditions we decided to stop for a couple hours. Later travelling on the expressway there multiple accidents seen.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 7:50pm
They have just sent out warnings to locals saying the fire near Salt Ash/Medowie is out of control and be prepared. 
The drought is bad out west.  Nothing but dry dust to get moving as soon as winds come up.    Sydney copped some dust today so they will be finding out what conditions are like across the Divide.
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 8:00pm
The weather man agrees with you Brudder Smile

At the moment, we have a positive phAse of the Antarctic Oscillation, however you wouldn’t know it by looking at what is going on.

We have huge lower pressure North of us, that generally means a positive AAO, and allow the systems to head South, as has been happening.

Normally, lower pressure in the South doesn’t develop until high pressure develops through the North, but this time is different because the climate is now being forced.

We have so much water vapour leaking in from he tropics, its exploding these troughs and causing them to amplify when they normally would stay well South.

There was also a huge spike in the Ozone Hole recently, I think the relationship between it and the AAO is little known, but is having a huge impact.

Because there is no way that this is anything near normal, we don’t normally see cut offs in the upper levels become this intense in November.

All the media talk has been about the dust poor city folk are enduring but spare a thought for those whose land has lost thousands of tonnes of top soil Cry

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:31pm
Wild winds here today.  Who would be a fire fighter ?
animals before people.
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 4:15pm
Back on top....

Anudder front went past and Sydney has the wettest day in November in 34 years.

But the same front is causing some record heat in Qld and the fires there will prove catastrophic.
Mackay - hottest day breaking record which stood since 1955 (Sailor's Guide won the VRC Derby that year) and Cairns had 42.6C! WTF!!!!!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 9:20pm
Massive hail storm in Tamworth.   Record floods in Sydney.  Huge storms over parts of the Hunter.
At least now the Salt Ash fire will be well and truely out. 
animals before people.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 12:05am
Originally posted by Brudder_A Brudder_A wrote:

Thread goes back on top due to the impressive dust storm which made headlines here where I am in Ukraine.

So how much dust did you eat for dinner tonight?

so much I nearly suffocated. A few on here probably would have cheered...Big smile
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 9:15am
A lot of rain predicted for Eastern NSW the next week with up to 500mm predicted in parts. We started off with this overnight here in Byron.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 10:18am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Massive hail storm in Tamworth.   Record floods in Sydney.  Huge storms over parts of the Hunter.
At least now the Salt Ash fire will be well and truely out. 

Golly I posted this Nov 2018, and I reckon this is the first real rain we have seen since, apart form a 5 min fall from a storm once or twice.   Its amazing how quickly things green up. 
animals before people.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

A lot of rain predicted for Eastern NSW the next week with up to 500mm predicted in parts. We started off with this overnight here in Byron.

HAARP ?

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 10:56am
Image result for thinking emoji gif
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 1:53am
Looks like Global Warming and endless drought to my eye!

Tim Flannery said so ... BOM said no rain till April too ... they should get them some of those "clever" Climate Scientists from the United Nations, who can predict the weather DECADES ahead!Thumbs Up

Meanwhile, based on the best "science" Labor/Greens Premiers are refusing to build dams and in fact reduce the capacity of existing ones ... because they will never fill up/they blew all their money on giving payrises to greenie bureucrats.Embarrassed
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 3:21pm

Humble heroes risk lives to lead horses trapped in NSW floods to safety

When fast-rising floodwater surrounded Ann Biasol's home one of her first thoughts was for the safety of her horses.

She lives in a rural area south of Crescent Head on the NSW Mid North Coast and vast areas were inundated. 

Ms Biasol says State Emergency Service crews told her they couldn't reach her, so she appealed to friends for help.

"When my house started to be impacted with absolutely all land around me under water, I knew I was to lose power, so I reached out," she said.

She contacted friends Robyne English, a local, and Amanda Hancock, from the Sunshine Coast, who quickly hit social media to ask for help.

"It was clear that no-one was going to Anny's rescue, and we had lost all contact with her ? with water levels rising and rain continuing," Ms Hancock said.

"I said to myself: 'Anny and her horses are not dying on our watch'.

"I put out a desperate plea requesting someone with local knowledge, a boat and experience with animals to help save Anny and her horses."

Risky journey to high ground

Help first came in the form of local resident Phillip Aitkin, who launched a boat and set out to rescue Ms Biasol and her horses, Barney, Degrey and Navarre.

"Phillip definitely deserves a bravery award, because he risked his own life, going into unknown dangers with submerged fences and debris to rescue a stranger, Anny, and her horses," Ms Hancock said.

Ms Biasol said it was a long and difficult journey to higher ground. 

"The horses had to be swum and walked out three kilometres from my place to the highest mound," Ms Biasol said.

"We got our first horse Barney out and we had to rest him on the way, he's about 24, but he's a tough old horse, but it took forever to get him out, he was pretty sore, pretty tired. 

"There were a lot of dead cattle floating while we were trying to swim him out and there's a lot of bull sharks around, so we were pretty concerned about that."

Mr Aitkin, an experienced boater, reassured Ms Biasol they could get through.

"It was different," he said. "It's not often you get to put the boat in on the main road."

"We had power lines, fence lines, houses, shipping containers ? all sorts of stuff floating down the river.

"I just said, 'We'll be right, we'll get through this, but it's going to take time'"

Other locals arrived to help, including part-time horse trainer, Leon Gray, who was out trying to save stock.

"The water came up really fast and caught a lot of people out. We saved and rescued a lot of animals," Mr Gray said.

After many hours, when the eldest horse, Barney, became so exhausted he refused to move, Mr Gray, got into the water to help him through.

"He basically just cradled the horse's head in his arms and swum him, with ... the boat as well, and got him the final kilometre up onto the bank," Ms Biasol said.

Mr Gray said he was just happy to help. 

"Mainly it was just leading [Barney] and coaxing him along. He was pretty exhausted but we just had to get him to higher ground," he said.

"It's rewarding to see the relief on Annie's face. 

"She really loves her horses. She was so happy.

"I seem to have a bit of a way [with horses]  and that time it worked, anyway.

"I've been called a hero but I was just down there doing what I could do."

The following day, Ms Biasol's other two horses were rescued, Mr Gray again leading them to safety.

"The other horses just refused to move," Mr Gray said.

"So I got in and just rode one of them out and the other one followed and we rode them about three kilometres out of the floodwater, along with another horse who just followed along with us."

The horses were cared for by a young family on the higher ground.

Ms Biasol said she was extremely grateful to the many people who helped.

"I just gave the horses big hugs ? thanked everyone for the prayers. So many people were so behind the animals," she said.

"I just got off that boat so quickly and went up [to the horses] and said, 'You boys are so loved by so many ? oh, my beautiful boys, you are safe.

"There's a few new heroes in my life."

Horses on path to recovery

A little more than a week later, the horses have returned home and are recovering from cuts and skin issues from prolonged exposure to the floodwater, which contained dead animals, sewerage and other contaminants.

Ms Biasol said they were in good spirits and eating well.

"There' s still a lot of sloughing on the skin and there's a lot of raw skin still to come off from their tummies right down to their hooves.

"It's every day care and every day scrubbing for probably three hours a day ... they are eating and drinking.

"At several points we've had the army drop medication off at the gate," she said.

Women save more than a dozen horses 

While the rescue was underway at Crescent Head, further south on the Mid North Coast young women who agist their horses on a Wauchope property saved their much-loved animals and about a dozen more.

They were looking after the property for the owner who was away and worked during the night and heavy rainfall.

We had about half an hour to get the horses out and before you know it we were in hip deep water and [it was] very stressful," Hannah Grilli said.

"We didn't think the floodwaters would come up that high.

"We pretty much grabbed horses. Horses that hadn't been ridden for a while, we just jumped on and hoped for the best ... and just went along the road with some cars behind and in front of us and took them to the stables."

Ms Grilli said the support of the community had been amazing.

"We have a great team now ... we have had volunteers and even kids help," she said.

"It's just amazing how well the community can pull together in a time like this and just so quickly."

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 5:49pm
They were some of the lucky ones.  Many didnt make it.
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 8:32pm
And many too have been stolen & 'claimed' by all the shonky ones out to line their own pockets - as always in a disaster Cry
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 12:53pm
The Rescue of Anny & Her Horses.” ????
For those who have followed this rescue story and have asked how they can provide support.
PLEASE NOTE: We are not associated with ANY current Go Fund Me Campaigns.
**Instead Phillip Atkin (First responder to the rescue of Anny & her horses) & Ann Biasol are leading discussions with Government Authorities and other professionals for a wider community vision Fundraising Campaign. This will support the urgent need for development of a local community based Large Animal Rescue & Recovery Response Unit. This will provide resources & training to ensure a rapid response is available when needed. Links to this campaign will be posted shortly on Phillip Atkins Facebook page.
If you would like to support this or learn more, please make direct contact with Phillip Atkin via email atkincontracts@hotmail.com and/or private message.
Thank you
Amanda Hancock
On behalf of Ann Biasol, Phillip Atkin & Robyne English
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 12:58pm
"There are more than 300 head of cattle along Maria River Road between Crescent Head and Port Macquarie that have died, or have to be euthanised by government agencies. As vet Heather Walker from Crescent Head Veterinary Hospital stands on the highest point of a property - that just days ago was surrounded by floodwater - she reflects on the last week. And she breaks down in tears."
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 5:55pm

BOM issues severe thunderstorm warning for parts of NSW with residents told to brace for tornadoes and giant hailstones

The Bureau of Meterology has issued a severe thunderstorm warning for parts of Greater Sydney and the Central Coast as images and videos of heavy rain and hailstones flood social media. 

A severe thunderstorm warning has been issued for parts of New South Wales with residents told to brace for tornadoes, destructive winds, giant hailstones and heavy rainfall. 

Residents of Western Sydney have taken to social media in droves to share pictures and videos of a violent storm hitting the area. 

The Bureau of Meteorology, NSW issued an urgent weather warning on Twitter, writing "URGENT UPDATE: Multiple #thunderstorms are currently, or about to, impact major population centres, incl #Sydney". 

"A Very Dangerous storm currently tracking towards Fairfield," it continued, urging people to immediately check their local radars. 

http://www.skynews.com.au/australia-news/bom-issues-severe-thunderstorm-warning-for-parts-of-nsw-with-residents-told-to-brace-for-tornadoes-and-giant-hailstones/news-story/38a188d23c60c31a3f9ce32cb063b236

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 28>