Join up at Sportsbet - Click here

Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Nikolic in bizzare stewards investigation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Polar Bear Waltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Phantom Phantom wrote:

Originally posted by hatch hatch wrote:

Two previous posts  very good ,   Nikolic did absolutely nothing wrong .    People saying   ''   unprofessional  ''     Nonsense.          Stewards should be forced to pay compensation out of their own pockets  .    Instead of them fining license holders ,  it should be a fair deal to change it around .
So it is professional and accepted to see an elite athlete swigging on a beer??? Maybe alcohol should be availbale for all sports persons at their respective race starts....Love to see the tennis players sitting down and swilling a can between ends, or a sprinter in the starting blocks have a mouthful of VB or maybe a F1 driver during a pitstop pulling of his helmet and and having a quick sip...yeh this would be very professional and accepted!! LOL
Your comment has nothing to do with the argument Phantom. No other sport requires the participants to have to perform at a set weight. (Boxers can choose their weight range). He wasn't drinking beer. He was rinsing his mouth out to relieve dryness. there is a big difference.
Our strawberries seem to go best with manure on them.
Sponsored Links
Click here to grab your bonuses when you join up with Sportsbet.

The Polar Bear Waltz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Polar Bear Waltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by scamanda scamanda wrote:

Again, what you are saying has nothing to do with workplace health and safety and the law.
And yes I have spoken to many old jockeys, and they used to drink to dehydrate.
That in itself is dangerous.

You've wasted to ride, so you've been round the tracks enough to see what goes on. You would know that everything I have said is true. Alcohol included.

Facts are facts. The stewards did the right thing. And not to get their names in the press.
Nikolic is lucky the racing industry is living in the dark ages.

The LAW says 0.02 Was that ever checked. Again, if it was my horse, The Stewards (ego freaks) would see me in court. If you can provide me with a legal definition that says the horse should not have raced, I will gladly take it on board...
Our strawberries seem to go best with manure on them.
Hay List View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hay List Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 11:11pm
I wonder if the stewards would of done the same thing if it was the Melbourne Cup and say Damien Oliver riding the fav rinsed his mouth out with beer.
Formerly known as Crash       
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 10:10am
Point 1..Stewards don't know at a moments notice what the extent of a riders intake of alcohol is.
They have received a report and a race is about to start .....They have only one option .
Point 2 ...When they realised it was an innocent error on the riders part ....They cleared him to ride .
Point 3... The Barrier group will have some explaining to do .
  END OF STORY>....Stewards acted properly, safely, and clearly had no other option.
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 10:12am
Right on the money Max
hatch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 10:34am
The stewards were told by the starter Nikolic spat the beer out.   The stewards know that the rule says that a jockey can have a alcohol level of 0.02 .    They and everyone else would know   that swilling the mouth out with beer and spitting it out would have no hope  of bringing him up to the allowed level  .    No excuse for the stewards ,terrible decision.
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 10:54am
So the patrol car should have gone around and collected the stewards to conduct a meeting to determine whether the verbal evidence of the starter was enough to disregard an important rule of racing? Put the races back 30 mins while they discuss Nikolics idiotic error of judgement? You are kidding Hatch?
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 10:55am

The stewards were told by the starter Nikolic spat the beer out.   The stewards know that the rule says that a jockey can have a alcohol level of 0.02 .    They and everyone else would know   that swilling the mouth out with beer and spitting it out would have no hope  of bringing him up to the allowed level  .    No excuse for the stewards ,terrible decision.
.HATCH....Race 1 , and how do the stewards know what the true situation is....Nikolic may have been on the pizz all night ...[ i was ] .....
 Very unfortunate position for all concerned, but really ......What else could anyone do.
 Above all , safety was assured until it was sorted out.
hatch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 11:20am
Still no excuse Max ,if they thought he might have been on the pizz  all night that should have tested him when he came back into the jockeys room .   Terrible stewarding  .
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 12:32pm
Hatchy mate, he wasted beer for god sake.Angry
Isn't that enough to put him in your bad books? I went to the fridge for a beer last night and Shocked
The cupboard was bare!!!!!!

When I sat back an remembered Nikolic wasting the stuff I just felt sooooo deflated.
And I wasn't at workConfused
Work? Oh yeah, I don't do that stuff anymore. But you know what I mean.Hug

I started with nothing and still have most of it left
hatch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Browndog Browndog wrote:

So the patrol car should have gone around and collected the stewards to conduct a meeting to determine whether the verbal evidence of the starter was enough to disregard an important rule of racing? Put the races back 30 mins while they discuss Nikolics idiotic error of judgement? You are kidding Hatch?

Browndog  ,please try and explain why you think it was an idiotic error for Nikolic to rinse his mouth out with beer when there was no water available .   

Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 1:45pm

Originally posted by Browndog Browndog wrote:

Browndog  ,please try and explain why you think it was an idiotic error for Nikolic to rinse his mouth out with beer when there was no water available .   

Because it caused a horse to be scratched for no other reason. You dont know that water wasnt available, that is what Nikolic said. Others have said there is always water available, he just didnt ask. Either way jockeys are not allowed to drink alcohol before riding to a reading in excess of .02. Can you make a left ball guarantee on someone swilling beer to not have a reading, particularly when you dont know if he already has any in his system.

It is about stewards doing their job, and that is what they did. They acted to protect everyones best interest until he could be tested and questioned
hatch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 2:01pm
Hopeless Browndog.
Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 2:05pm
You hardly hold an open mind on all things Nikolic, Hatch. It makes your opinions of little value
Hay List View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hay List Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 2:07pm
Only about 20% of the alcohol passes through the lining of the stomach and into the bloodstream.

And that takes up to 20 minutes .............
Formerly known as Crash       
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Hay List Hay List wrote:

Only about 20% of the alcohol passes through the lining of the stomach and into the bloodstream.

Hay List ..I am aware of your humour..??   so lets say you drink half a cup of whisky and see how long it takes to hit u hard ....30 seconds ...Alco is absorbed real quick and thats why the "scullers" fall in a heap real quick.
    I know as I hold the record for being pissed half my life before breakfast.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 3:13pm

Only 20%.

Where does the rest of it go?

Roidz View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 6:34pm
Look, I'd be prepared to dispute the claim that there is water available behind the barriers 100% of time. I'm sure I read in an article somewhere that it would now be mandatory for water to be provided.

Um what?
Hay List View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hay List Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by scamanda scamanda wrote:

Only 20%.

Where does the rest of it go?

Umm what was the questionTongue
Formerly known as Crash       
Phantom View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phantom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by The Polar Bear Waltz The Polar Bear Waltz wrote:

Originally posted by Phantom Phantom wrote:

Two previous posts  very good ,   Nikolic did absolutely nothing wrong .    People saying   ''   unprofessional  ''     Nonsense.          Stewards should be forced to pay compensation out of their own pockets  .    Instead of them fining license holders ,  it should be a fair deal to change it around .
So it is professional and accepted to see an elite athlete swigging on a beer??? Maybe alcohol should be availbale for all sports persons at their respective race starts....Love to see the tennis players sitting down and swilling a can between ends, or a sprinter in the starting blocks have a mouthful of VB or maybe a F1 driver during a pitstop pulling of his helmet and and having a quick sip...yeh this would be very professional and accepted!! LOL
Your comment has nothing to do with the argument Phantom. No other sport requires the participants to have to perform at a set weight. (Boxers can choose their weight range). He wasn't drinking beer. He was rinsing his mouth out to relieve dryness. there is a big difference.

What has his weight and drinking beer got to do with a professional athlete and the professional perception it gives to the public?? I think you missed the point!!
BEST I'VE SEEN!
hatch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 7:00pm
Nikolic  said he didnt drink any beer, and no one said they saw him drink any beer  .    That should have stopped all the crap many of you post  ,    we do have some drips on here.
Wortel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wortel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 7:06pm
One little sip of beer isn't going to do anything to you.

This seems like a very popular thread. Nikolic is just a hot topic I reckon.
Blinkers View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinkers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 7:12pm

All the obvious facts have been pointed out, of late mostly by hatch. This thread is starting to be a opportunity to vent frustrations towards other members or an opportunity to get your name on the highlight reel. He hasn't broken any rules. It is obvious the rules have to change and that no alcohol is allowed to be in possession of employees on the day.  All of us would be aware of our own alcohol limits at work, Danny probably knew of the 0.02 limit and knew there was nothing wrong in taking a swig and spitting it out.

Browndog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Browndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 7:19pm
It is not about whether he tested .02 or anything else. It is about the stewards following a process. If you dont have a fixed process you have chaos. The stewards did the job expected of them. 
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 7:43pm

Nikolic  said he didnt drink any beer, and no one said they saw him drink any beer  .    That should have stopped all the crap many of you post  ,    we do have some drips on here.

And what Nikolic says is gospel. Phone? What phone?LOL

What happened to the earlier claim he thought it was drinking from a can of Tab cola?
Cola? What cola?LOL

And Wortel, this thread is popular because it is a lot of fun.
Danny couldn't argue on the spot because he couldn't 'phone a friend'.LOL

hatch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 7:48pm
I  thought your mate Josh rode his horse good in the derby Scamanda  ,   a mouth rinse of beer and he might got it home.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 8:06pm
Don't worry about  Josh hatch, he'll be in Sydney riding winners on derby day.
Mark Zahra, the most under estimated hoop in the country will boot Retrieve home.

Oh Danny boy
the steward Mr Bailey 
is asking why
You had a swig of beer
And all you did
was spit it out and waste it
you silly boy
you silly boy
answer your phooonnnnnne

Phantom View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phantom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 7:23pm
Bit of a farce and right result so it can't be dragged on now. Lets get on with the great racing!!

Stewards fine Nikolic for misconduct
Clinton Payne
Tuesday, 12 October 2010

Racing Victoria stewards have fined Danny Nikolic $200 for rinsing his mouth out with beer at a recent Ballarat meeting.

Nikolic pleaded not guilty and argued he had not broken a rule of racing but stewards found him guilty under racing rule AR83(a) which states that a jockey can be penalised if they misconducts themself in any way.

Stewards found Nikolic took an open can of beer from an esky in an open boot of a car located near the barriers.

Nikolic took a mouthful of the beverage to rinse his mouth out before spitting it out which stewards deemed as misconduct.

Ballarat starter Paul Didham witnessed the act and reported it to stewards who ordered the withdrawal of Nikolic’s mount Kookaburras from the EFPRO Security Services SV 3YO Maiden Plate (1200m).

Nikolic cannot appeal the fine as the Racing Appeals and Disciplinary Board only hold appeals for fines of $250 or more.

BEST I'VE SEEN!
Run For Fun View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run For Fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 7:30pm
Was keen-eyed Didham, who is personally responsible for the conduct of barrier attendants, fined for sustrangely and unnacountably turning a blind eye to his personnel sucking on tinnies all day long?

Absolute disgrace.
It's hard to soar with eagles...

Cheers
hatch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 7:37pm

Disgrace,   stewards or no one else takes any blame for having beer at the barriers and not water .    It is a standard practice to have water at the barriers  .   The beer should not have been there  and the water should have been .   The horse should never have been scratched ,everybody in the world would know that rinsing the mouth out with beer was not going to cause  any harm whatsoever.    The stewards should be sacked  for their wrongdoings.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic