Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Nick Kyrgios- what am I missing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

Emmo...grrr

now he was a champion...

Roy Stanley Emerson (born 3 November 1936) is an Australian former number one tennis player who won 12 Major singles titles and 16 Grand Slam tournament men's doubles titles. He is the only male player to have completed a Career Grand Slam(winning titles at all four Grand Slam events) in both singles and doubles. His 28 major titles are an all-time record for a male amateur player. Roy Emerson is the first male player to win each amateur major title at least twice in his career. He is one of only seven men to win all four majors in his career.[a] He was the first male player to win 12 majors. Along with Novak Djokovic, he is one of only two male players to win 6 Australian Championships. He won five of them consecutively (1963–67). His 12 wins have since been surpassed. Emerson is only one of five tennis players all-time to win multiple slam sets in two disciplines, only matched by Margaret CourtMartina NavratilovaFrank Sedgman andSerena Williams.
 Emerson had 10 straight victories in Grand Slam tournament finals in which he appeared, which remains an all-time record.

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

Why do people care? He's an individual playing an individual sport. He doesnt represent anyone but himself.

If he did this in Davis Cup, then I get the anger, but until then, who cares??

I think punters care Sub.
You would be the first to complain if a Jockey you backed showed the same will to win.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Why do people care? He's an individual playing an individual sport. He doesnt represent anyone but himself.

If he did this in Davis Cup, then I get the anger, but until then, who cares??

I think punters care Sub.
You would be the first to complain if a Jockey you backed showed the same will to win.

Tennis doesn't need punting, racing does. Big difference.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 6:51pm
And if I did take a $1.20 bet in a tennis match, it wouldn't be on Nick Krygios the week after winning a tournament!!
Beliskner View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beliskner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 9:43pm
How could anybody bet on him to win given his behavior, knowing he might just decide half way through a game he doesn't want to try?

Has he ever played Davis Cup tennis? I hope he never does, or at least not until he behaves himself for at least a few years.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 9:52pm
Didn't corporates change the rules fairly recently regarding players withdrawing through matches?
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Didn't corporates change the rules fairly recently regarding players withdrawing through matches?

Not recently. Has been a few years now.

No idea what the rule is with corporates but Betfair the first set must be completed for bets to stand. If they retire after that the result is as if they lost the match. I would suspect corporates would be similar.
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 11:21pm
A few corps refunded bets on Krygios's match. Cant imagine they held too much on an obscure match when he was 1.20, but still, good publicity for them.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 9:06am
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

No idea what the rule is with corporates but Betfair the first set must be completed for bets to stand. If they retire after that the result is as if they lost the match. I would suspect corporates would be similar.

The rule was changed I believe because of so many matches being started by players who had no intention of completing matches. They still get their appearance money but take most of the week off. 

How is that in principle any different to what Kyrgios did? 
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 9:47am

Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

The rule was changed I believe because of so many matches being started by players who had no intention of completing matches. They still get their appearance money but take most of the week off. 

How is that in principle any different to what Kyrgios did? 

There's no incentive to start a match with no intention of completing it. They still get the prizemoney even if it's a walkover (forfeit) unless it's in the 1st round when a lucky loser will come in as a replacement. And Kyrgios can't just decide he doesn't want to play that match. It was a Masters 1000 tournament and players ranked as high as him are required to play unless injured. Basically he would have had to fake an injury to withdraw.

Agree that tanking is essentially the same thing as quitting part way through but there's no real way to guard against it from a betting point of view. Bookmakers can't pay out on one player and refund bets on the other every time a player doesn't try.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 12:01pm
SUB.      You can always come up with a 2 year olds reasoning.

Does the snow trails  f-- Censored everyone's brain that much.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 1:11pm
Just read on another thread about Harry Coffey and his health battles to ride , and ride as well as he does.  And it made me thin what a jerk Nick K is, with his behaviour .   No argument he has talent. And his health . And lots of sponsors and money to burn, and look how he is behaving.
Just throwing it all away .  Malaysian Airlines have sacked him I just heard.
Such a shame a young bloke like Harry doesnt get the exposure this dud gets.   If he did , it would be all good press one suspects.
animals before people.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 2:33pm
AA, I would like to take this Greek upstart for a walk down the corridors of the children's cancer ward, ( giving his ear a tweak as I go) and show him how these little battlers get on with their lives against all odds, I would then lock him in the waiting room on his own, and let him reflect on how lucky he is, but I doubt it would do much good!
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

AA, I would like to take this Greek upstart for a walk down the corridors of the children's cancer ward, ( giving his ear a tweak as I go) and show him how these little battlers get on with their lives against all odds, I would then lock him in the waiting room on his own, and let him reflect on how lucky he is, but I doubt it would do much good!

And the truth is out........
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 2:39pm

And the truth is out........

Climb under your bus troll , you have an oil leak!
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 5:19pm
"His mother was born in Malaysia as a member of the Malaysian Royalty, but dropped her title as a princess when she moved to Australia in her twenties."

Just got that from wikipedia. Is that fairdinkum or is someone having a laugh? Never heard that before although I admit I'm only halfway through Nick's autobiography.Heart
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 5:49pm
Gees that would be a read and a half, mate, by the way he acts, kindergarten memories wouldn't be far off!
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 5:59pm

you are a piece of work, but no I am imaging things, being too PC. Ouch
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 6:28pm
Yeah, whale I'm a piece of work but I will tell you something about me, I'm fair dimkum, and I call a spade a spade I have worked 80% of my life and I have no trouble sleeping at night, reading your posts the jury's out!
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 6:30pm
And working gives you the right to what.......????
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 6:34pm
To being opinionated like most on here, anything else!
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 6:42pm
Love a great debate.  

Mind you Kyrgios himself would probably be shaking his own troubled head with bewilderment were he to read some of our own contributions in this thread.  Tongue  Shocked
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 7:24pm

And working gives you the right to what.......????

Image result for scratch my head

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 8:12pm
Nick Kyrgios seems distraught about his eight week suspension...

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 10:19pm

To being opinionated like most on here, anything else!

Give it to em croca .      .    We have the heavy artillery waiting in the wings if you need them.   LOL
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 10:52pm
Yeah , I am with Carioca. 
We are all entitled to our opinions, and if it doesnt sit good with Subby and a few others, who cares ?
We arnt all politically correct  here , and why should we be ???
We call a spade a spade.  And he ( Nick K )  isnt even a spade .   He is a huge dirty shovel covered in muck out crap. 
Prolly having worked our guts out all our life,  seeing this talented FW ,  who could be anything,  waste it all and carry on like a pork chop,  because he already has so much money he doesnt know what to do with it, tends to colour our vision of him slightly.
AND THE TRUTH IS OUT.
Lets pander to NK , and be so so correct,  because its the PC thing to do .  Stick up for him.  Dont let anyone call him names.   Focus on crucifying Carioca .
Even when NK carries on like some half bred drop kick wasting his talent with his baby tanties.

animals before people.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 11:08pm
Looks like I've got both flanks covered!!
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 11:11pm
Well that is quite ridiculous AA. I have spoken against Kyrgios as much as anyone, go back through this thread.  But realy why is it nevessary to call him a Greek upstart, he is Australian and that term can only be interpreted as racist IMO
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 11:17pm
Racist my lemonade!, he's an Aussie when he wins, and a Greek when he loses,,,now drink your milk and go to bed!
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 11:23pm
Is that right, not to me ,he is always an Aussie, an ugly one I dislike but an Aussie.

you do realise this is 2016 not 1960 when you were railing against wogs coming to Australia ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>