Join up at Crownbet - Click here - Crownbet is Thoroughbred Village’s premier betting partner - Join here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

NFL 2016/2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Znatchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 8:02am
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

Atlanta have thrown the ball all year. Ryan averages 9 yards a pass. Unheard of stats for a QB. The passing game got them to a Superbowl. Easy in hindsight to be critical, but it's who Atlanta are.

The mistake was not the play call, wasn't it that Matt Ryan took the sack?  The only outcome of that play that couldn't happen was a sack and that's what happened.

To me, it does seem odd that they would take the snap from the gun though.  Surely under center gives you more options?  Play Action being one of them.  Once you're in the gun, the only run-play is a delay or a draw.
Sponsored Links
Click here to view the promotions at Crownbet.

Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Znatchy Znatchy wrote:

Atlanta have thrown the ball all year. Ryan averages 9 yards a pass. Unheard of stats for a QB. The passing game got them to a Superbowl. Easy in hindsight to be critical, but it's who Atlanta are.

The mistake was not the play call, wasn't it that Matt Ryan took the sack?  The only outcome of that play that couldn't happen was a sack and that's what happened.

To me, it does seem odd that they would take the snap from the gun though.  Surely under center gives you more options?  Play Action being one of them.  Once you're in the gun, the only run-play is a delay or a draw.

You're talking like passing was working for Atlanta. The reality of the situation was that NE had shut their passing down. They only made it to a position where they could take an easy field goal with one long run and a suicide pass and astonishing catch that they got away with.  

I can't believe anybody watching it didn't have the same instant reaction as me when they started passing on second down.

subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:43am
Interestingly they were running plays with 20 seconds left on the clock too, and not waiting for it to run down. Most teams that far in front would be working the clock also.
Znatchy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Znatchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Originally posted by Znatchy Znatchy wrote:

You're talking like passing was working for Atlanta. The reality of the situation was that NE had shut their passing down. They only made it to a position where they could take an easy field goal with one long run and a suicide pass and astonishing catch that they got away with.  

I can't believe anybody watching it didn't have the same instant reaction as me when they started passing on second down.

LOL Ryan was 11-12 with 2 TDs at one stage.  It was actually working so well they were too efficient.

He finished with 17-23, 284yds & 2 TDs.  12yds/attempt at a QB rating of 144.  

I'm pretty sure the passing game was working just fine.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 9:49pm
Shortly after the Seahawks signed Eddie Lacy, a report came out about his weight being at 267 pounds, or 30 pounds heavier than he was a season ago.

This talk spread through NFL circles, and eventually Pete Carroll commented on it, saying he wants Lacy big but down closer to the 240 range. If Lacy is able to get down to Seattle's preferred weight for him, then he can earn a solid bonus, according to multiple reports.

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 9:50pm
good luck Pete...might need a minder on him...

subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 12:48pm
Fascinating draft so far. No idea why Bears traded up for Trubisky.
Rumour going around now that Cleveland are trading for Kirk Cousins!
Arjen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 1:32pm
It has been a great draft for Oakland, so far. Obi Melifonwu is an absolute steal at 56 and assuming that Conley is cleared of his rape allegations (which it seems as though he will be) he is also a very good player. Both players also fill a huge need.

Deshaun Watson at Houston is fascinating. He was clearly the best QB in the draft in my opinion (I don't rate Trubisky at all and personally wouldn't have taken him until around the 4th round) and goes to a team that is ready to win now. With Watt back next season and in a weak division the Texans will be a team to watch.

McCaffrey makes sense, I guess, for Carolina but personally I think it is too high for a player like him.

Fornette is a physical freak but I worry about him at a team like Jacksonville with a questionable O Line. If he had been able to come out last year and been drafted 4 to Dallas i have no doubt he would have been incredible but without a dominant line I am a little sceptical. Those Alabama games are a concern.

The Jets got lucky that Adams fell to them at 6. He is a star and exactly what they need. The same goes for the Saints with Lattimore.

I think John Ross is a huge reach at 9 to Cinci. His size and injury history are huge concerns.

Also not a fan of Evan Engram going as high as 23 to the Giants. Obviously they need a TE but not convinced he is that good and there were other quality players on the board. If they were desperate to go TE I would have gone with the upside of Njoku as well.

I also really like Delvin Cook to the Vikings in the 2nd round. I understand there are some off field issues but on what he does on the field I actually would have had him equal with Fornette (due to versatility).

Joe Mixon to Cinci is what it is. Everyone knows what he can do on the field but everyone also knows what he did off the field. Pairing him with Hill, who is also a very questionable character off the field, could be interesting. It will also be interesting to see how long it is until someone takes Samaji Perine as there wasn't a huge difference between the 2 at Oklahoma.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Arjen Arjen wrote:

It has been a great draft for Oakland, so far. Obi Melifonwu is an absolute steal at 56 and assuming that Conley is cleared of his rape allegations (which it seems as though he will be) he is also a very good player. Both players also fill a huge need.

Deshaun Watson at Houston is fascinating. He was clearly the best QB in the draft in my opinion (I don't rate Trubisky at all and personally wouldn't have taken him until around the 4th round) and goes to a team that is ready to win now. With Watt back next season and in a weak division the Texans will be a team to watch.

McCaffrey makes sense, I guess, for Carolina but personally I think it is too high for a player like him.

Fornette is a physical freak but I worry about him at a team like Jacksonville with a questionable O Line. If he had been able to come out last year and been drafted 4 to Dallas i have no doubt he would have been incredible but without a dominant line I am a little sceptical. Those Alabama games are a concern.

The Jets got lucky that Adams fell to them at 6. He is a star and exactly what they need. The same goes for the Saints with Lattimore.

I think John Ross is a huge reach at 9 to Cinci. His size and injury history are huge concerns.

Also not a fan of Evan Engram going as high as 23 to the Giants. Obviously they need a TE but not convinced he is that good and there were other quality players on the board. If they were desperate to go TE I would have gone with the upside of Njoku as well.

I also really like Delvin Cook to the Vikings in the 2nd round. I understand there are some off field issues but on what he does on the field I actually would have had him equal with Fornette (due to versatility).

Joe Mixon to Cinci is what it is. Everyone knows what he can do on the field but everyone also knows what he did off the field. Pairing him with Hill, who is also a very questionable character off the field, could be interesting. It will also be interesting to see how long it is until someone takes Samaji Perine as there wasn't a huge difference between the 2 at Oklahoma.

how do you rank the four: Fournette, Mixon, Cook and Perine? I'm doing auction drafts at present and Fournette is going high for about $22, whereas Cook and Mixon are among the stragglers at $1 and Perine is not being picked up at all...is Fournette going to produce in his 1st year? (he is a monster)

Strangely, Elliott is being easily out-priced by Bell and Johnson...despite his swagger into OT's, is he going to be less productive this year? 
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 10:46pm

Good news. Go you raiders
Arjen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 12:12pm
I would lean towards Perine in fantasy due to price and opportunity. Perine only needs to beat out a questionable Washington backfield while Mixon has to deal with Hill and Bernard (when he comes back). Plus there is always the off field stuff with Mixon.

With Cook it depends if you are a Latavius Murray fan or not. Personally I am not but at the same time I don't love the fit for Cook with the questionable O Line and the possibility that even when he supplants Murray as the starter he will still get a number of his TD's vultured.

Fornette will probably score higher than the other 3, barring injuries, but I do have doubts on him at the moment and personally I would not be spending a decent sum on him. Teams are going to give him heavy fronts as no one fears Bortles and I do question his ability to run against them. His saving grace will be TD's but if you are solely relying on that you can end up in some trouble.
I will say that I am/was a huge fan of Fornette at LSU, I am just not convinced that he will be the same player in the NFL. In my opinion he is more comparable to a Trent Richardson, who did have a good rookie year, than an Ezekiel Elliott and there are real risks.
The big question with Fornette is his pass catching abilities. Apparently he does have very good, and consistent, hands but due to the LSU gameplan they were never called upon. If he can be part of the passing game that would obviously give him a higher ceiling but I would like to see it first.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 8:10pm
thanks for that, Arjen...given me something to work on...

I think the Cook/Murray situation might rest on how fit Murray is...

I have permanent access to ESPN this year so I will have to watch some college football...should help me in future...

Arjen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 7:28am
It is too early for me to be doing Fantasy teams so I have no idea if/where he is going but the rookie sleeper could be TE Evan Engram at the Giants.

I don't like the pick as he doesn't block but for Fantasy purposes that is not a problem and I can see him catching a number of TD's and being productive over the middle.
Arjen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 7:30am
Also, how much is McCaffrey going for?

He could have a huge statistical year at the Panthers.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 12:00am
Originally posted by Arjen Arjen wrote:

Also, how much is McCaffrey going for?

He could have a huge statistical year at the Panthers.

McCaffrey is only just moving up the list...the last draft I did he went for $23..ther was a minor bidding war but nothing like the big guns...

do you do auctions or just standard?

Arjen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 11:37am
I do both, although I tend to lean more towards standard draft leagues.

I also do Daily Fantasy on Draftstars when the season starts.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 9:50pm
I botched a draft on Saturday as I was away for some R&R...ended up with a pretty ordinary bunch, despite having pre-drafted...players were going for squillions above reserves Wink, Aaron for $50...I had nominated $45...

I need help with a few "unknowns" or sleepers to boost the squad...any ideas?

Arjen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 7:38pm
How late is Bennett going?
Arjen View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 11:37am
Ezekiel Elliott suspended for 6 games, pending an appeal.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 7:03pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 7:04pm
BOOO!Cry
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 4:29pm
The Chiefs have just gone to New England and won 42-27, Alex Smith went 28/35 for 368 yards and 4 tds...
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

The Chiefs have just gone to New England and won 42-27, Alex Smith went 28/35 for 368 yards and 4 tds...

not a bad performance from a QB described yesterday as "boring"...

I've always been a fan...he just needed some troops to throw to....

Hunt and Hill were just outstanding....

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 9:48pm
I saw a Guardian sportsblog a couple of weeks back on the subject of can the Patriots have a perfect season this season.Clap
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 12:46am
Okay I have done the season preview and will give a verbal broadcast on my sports show tomorrow, but here are the week 1 selections.

Bills
Falcons
Bengals
Steelers
Cardinals
Texans
Titans
Redskins (please be aware I am a Redskins fan)
Rams
Packers
Panthers
Cowboys
Saints
Chargers

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 12:50am
Alright here is how I see the season unfolding.

AFC

Top two: Patriots & Steelers
Division champs: Titans & Raiders
Wild Card: Chiefs & Bengals

NFC

Top Two: Falcons & Seahawks
Division Champions: Giants & Packers
Wild cards: Cowboys & Panthers
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 12:23pm
gee, this season is hotting up...a few more upsets today and the ongoing kneeling controversy keeping interest high...

facebook is alive with fans supposedly deserting the NFL...yet miraculously these fans keep popping up to comment on games...

Eli scoring a TD was a novelty...Carr and Mariota going out of games on the same day once again...

fantasy is a lottery...top players scoring miniscule points two weeks out of three while rookies dominate...

try and find a tight-end who can rack up consistent points, outside of the Gronk...impossible...

cabosanlucas View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabosanlucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 12:32pm
random comment/:question..
In 95 i visted foxborough stadium - patriots very delapidated home ground. the wooden bench seats were falling apart, our tour of the office space showed it just as bad...plaster falling off the roof etc.

i know they have had great success since. what turned it around? Did a billinaire owner come on board?

also...drew bledsoe was the qb back then. how did he rate?
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by cabosanlucas cabosanlucas wrote:

In 95 i visted foxborough stadium - patriots very delapidated home ground. the wooden bench seats were falling apart, our tour of the office space showed it just as bad...plaster falling off the roof etc.

i know they have had great success since. what turned it around? Did a billinaire owner come on board?

Robert Kraft, big time businessman started invest large amounts of money into Foxboro Stadium at about 2002. At about the time you were there in 1995 the stadium was so dilapidated that Kraft was thinking of moving the Patriots to Hartford, Connecticut. The amount invested was about US$350 million. Then he developed the land around the stadium in 2007. All around this time the team started to consolidate winning 5 Super Bowls since 2001.

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by cabosanlucas cabosanlucas wrote:

Robert Kraft

In 1988, Kraft outbid several competitors, including Kiam, to buy the stadium out of bankruptcy court from Sullivan for $22 million. The stadium was considered to be outdated and nearly worthless, but the purchase included the stadium's lease to the Patriots, which ran through 2001.[25] The lease was ironclad enough to end Sullivan's three-decade involvement with the Patriots. When he and Kiam tried to move the team to Jacksonville, Kraft refused to let them break the lease. As a result, when Kiam was nearly brought down by bad investments of his own, he was forced to sell the Patriots to James Orthwein.[24]

Ever since Orthwein had bought the team in 1992, there had been constant rumors that he wanted to move the Patriots to St. Louis. In 1994, Orthwein offered Kraft $75 million to buy out the remainder of the team's lease at what was now Foxboro Stadium. Had Kraft accepted Orthwein's offer, it would have cleared the last significant hurdle to moving the team. However, Kraft turned it down.[26][27][28][29]

By 1994, Orthwein was not interested in operating the team in New England long-term, and decided to sell it. Due to the terms of the operating covenant, any prospective buyers had to deal with Kraft. With this in mind, Kraft made an offer for an outright purchase of the team for $172 million, which Orthwein accepted. At the time, it was the highest price ever paid for an NFL team.[30] Years later, Kraft said his passion for the Patriots led him to "break every one of my financial rules" in his pursuit of the team. Kraft has stated he keeps a Victory Tour poster among his mementos as a reminder of what allowed him to realize his longstanding dream of becoming a major league team owner.[22]

Following the NFL's approval of the sale, the Patriots sold out their entire 1994 season – the first full sellout in franchise history. Every home game – including preseason, regular season, and playoffs – has been sold out ever since.[31]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
  Share Topic