Join up at Sportsbet - Click here

Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click here for the Thoroughbred Village Home Page - Australia's Premier Online Horse Racing Community. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. Also follow @Villagebet on Twitter for racing tips. Sign up for the village newsletter by clicking here: Newsletter Signup. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

NFL 2016/2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Znatchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NFL 2016/2017
    Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 10:55am
We're in the middle of the off-season and there is plenty going on so I thought I'd throw some of the bigger off-season moves down below.

RG3 has moved to Cleveland.  Griffin has been given another go, at a ball club who is known for making mistakes at the QB position.  Hue Jackson, new Browns coach, is supposed to be a QB whisperer of sorts and he sounds like he's in to RG3.  There is talk of moving on Josh McCown and drafting Carson Wentz to compete with RG3 for the main job.  How Cleveland have gone from Manziel and concluded that Griffin is the answer, beggars belief.  I hope RG3 hits it out of the park but as a staunch supporter of his, I have my doubts.

Brock Osweiler to Houston.  Osweiler has moved to the Texans for BIG money for a guy whom has not given us a huge sample size to work from.  What concerns me is that Denver know him inside out and were willing to let him go at the price he was asking.  Clearly they think there is risk at that price.  After Brian Hoyer's meltdown in the playoffs, perhaps QB is the position that turns the Texans in to a serious title threat. 

Danny Trevathan and Malik Jackson to Bears/Jags.  In the wake of superstar edge rushers Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware, two underrated but key cogs in the Denver DEF have moved on.  Can the Broncos replace these guys and their production levels?

Plenty of other moves and big signings.  Can't wait for the new season.

Edited by Gay3 - 10 Jul 2017 at 8:52pm
Sponsored Links
Click here to grab your bonuses when you join up with Sportsbet.

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 11:00am
I get the NFL news feed direct to both my twitter and fb pages...but thanks Znatch, anyway...Beer

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Znatchy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Znatchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 11:07am
I'm sure most people have got this news - I'm more interested in people's opinions on them, not just that they happened. 
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 11:31am
Regardless of the money involved letting Oswieler leave is still a poor move by Elway... Solid starters get paid at QB in the NFL and Oswieler despite his limited exposure has shown enough to be worthy of that tag... Right now he's stuck with Mark Sanchez as his only option unless a trade for Kaepernick can be sorted either way it's a worrying situation! I actually think that with the Chiefs being strong, Oakland rising up and the Chargers a good chance to improve on last seasons effort the Broncos will have a tough time within their division let alone thinking they'll go back to back...

I reckon RG3 is a decent bit of buisness for the Browns, it gives them options with how they approach the draft, they can take Carson Wentz at 2 or grab a stud guy to fill a hole elsewhere on the roster and look at a guy like Conner Cook or Paxton Lynch on day 2 as a project player to develop behind RG3 for a couple years while they try build a strong roster overall...

It'll be interesting to see how the Cowboys approach this draft, do they look for Romo's replacement or concentrate on other areas?
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 6:39am
The Rams have traded a swag of picks to the Titans to move up to #1 in the draft... Obviously they feel either Goff or Wentz is their franchise guy and want to start in LA with a shiny new QB...
Znatchy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Znatchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 9:51am
Smart move by the Titans.  They have their QB so they can now hit the draft to build depth on the roster.

Which one will they take?  Seems to me like the general thought is one has more potential but the other is more pro ready right now.  Not sure which one is which though.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 10:15am
Wentz sounds the more likely but I guess they've got 14 days to look at tapes of both and see who looks more likely to fit their system coupled with who has more potential... Laremy Tunsil is argurably the biggest loser (well not losing but you know what I mean) out of this, he seemed consensus #1 pick prior to the trade but now will slide down probably closer to 10 then 1...
Znatchy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Znatchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 12:12pm
The schedule is out.

Redskins look to have their work cut out defending the NFC East with games against Steelers, Packers, Cardinals and Panthers.  
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 9:52pm
AFC East will be interesting to watch this season, they have AFC North and NFC West to play this season, arguably the two toughest divisions to draw in the NFL at the moment! Think the Pats will walk it again...

Broncos have both South divisions which presents as a good draw comparative to what some other teams were handed... I reckon the Raiders can be a big improver, I wouldn't be overly surprised if they got to be a 9-7 or even 10-6 team on the cusp of a wildcard...
Znatchy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Znatchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 11:20am
So Eagles have traded up to get #2 pick and they will take a QB.

Word is Goff to Rams and Wentz to Eagles.  Seems like people are divided on these two.  Goff played in a much better division but played a spread offense that he won't see in the NFL.  Apparently he has the looks of an NFL QB and reads plays and extends them like a pro should but who knows?

Wentz played in a pro style offense where he could read D and make calls at the line based on packages presented to him pre-snap.

Really exciting to see who goes where.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 11:33am
I like this move by the Browns as well, takes the pressure off if they having 2 if they stayed and didn't go with either Goff or Wentz while giving them more picks down the draft to improve the roster overall.

I wonder what the Browns do at 8? They could grab Paxton Lynch at 8 if he's still on the board or simply grab the best player left, depends on how they see RG3 going and how much they want to improve other area's I guess, also where to for Sam Bradford? Looks to be his last season in Philly unless he leads them to a Super Bowl, no doubt someone will line up to trade for him after next season.
Znatchy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Znatchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 11:54am
I think the Browns have done the right thing too.  Takes the pressure right off!  I think they could look at Lynch or even Hackenberg who is the forgotten man in all of this.  They need to do what the Packers do and just draft a QB every single season until you get the right one.  

Sounds like the Browns are not afraid to have RG3 under center in week 1 if that's what it came to.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 12:54pm
If Lynch, Cook and Tunsil are all still on the board I wonder which way the Browns go?
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 1:14pm
Actually if I was the Browns I'd be looking past QB at 8, simply work on a depth of availability vs needs of team basis and grab the guy who scores the highest across these 2 criteria, ie if you need WR and DT help, you think the WR class is deep but the DT class is similar at the top but top heavy grab your top DT pick and the best available WR later.

Panthers have rescinded Josh Normans franchise tag as well, where will he land?
Znatchy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Znatchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 1:37pm
I think they'll need to get a QB but if they've traded out of #2, it means they don't like either of those two top guys THAT much and think they can get another one later on like Hackenberg or Dak Prescott or someone like that.  They have needs everywhere so I agree, will go best available.

Word on Norman is 49ers, Rams, Bears who all went DB hunting in the trade period and came up empty handed.

Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 2:15pm
Opinion seems to be the Rams will grab Goff, perhaps they don't rate Wentz? More likely I'd say they figured Phillys offer is worth more to them then grabbing Wentz or Goff if the Rams go the other way...

Realistically looking to build a squad aiming to be challenging in a few years is smart play, they'll need more than talent at qb to challenge in their div next season.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 12:39pm
Josh Norman to the skins, you like that Znatchy?
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 1:30pm
$51m guaranteed money too. That seems excessive.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 3:37pm
Von Miller is looking at $100mil over 5 years, makes Normans deal look fair by comparison?
Znatchy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Znatchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 9:21am
Originally posted by subastral subastral wrote:

$51m guaranteed money too. That seems excessive.

It's only guaranteed if they agree to the full length of the contract.  The reality is the only fully guaranteed money is around $35m.  Still a high price to pay.
Znatchy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Znatchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

Josh Norman to the skins, you like that Znatchy?

Not really.  I think it flies in the face of what Scott McCloughan has been doing.  Norman has played one AP season since he entered the league and now he's the highest paid DB in football.  The Redskins were building through the draft and picking off free agents at low prices.  Having said all of that, Washington needed huge help in the secondary and now Norman/Breeland looks a great CB duo with Culliver now a bonus.  Safety position at least has options with Hall/Ihenauco/Bruton/Jarrett and others.

Overall I'm skeptical on the money we paid because it seems out of character with the way they;ve been building the team but Norman is a top player at his position, I just hope the front 7 at Carolina wasn't the reason he had such a good season!
Znatchy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Znatchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 2:33pm
Draft day tomorrow.  I'll have a go at the Top 5:

1.  Rams- Jared Goff QB
2.  Eagles - Carson Wentz QB
3.  San Diego - Joey Bosa DE
4.  Dallas - Deforest Buckner DE
5.  Jacksonville - Myles Jack LB
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 3:18pm
What odds Goff and Wentz pick  1 and 2 12 months ago?
Znatchy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Znatchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 3:35pm
Especially Wentz.  He came from the clouds.

I heard this on a podcast but any chance Eagles want Tunsil or Jack or someone else and just traded up to put the wind up everyone?  What if they're high on Goff and he goes?  Surely they don't take a QB unless the one they want falls to 2...?
subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 3:43pm
When does Elliott go you think?
Znatchy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Znatchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 3:48pm
Elliott could go to Dallas at 4, maybe Cleveland.

Thing with RB is for some reason, it's now a really devalued position so most teams are happy to just have a guy who can run the ball and pick up 3 or 4 on 1st down.

I guess the NFL loves a pass happy game so now with the ridiculous PI rules, it's more advantageous for teams to throw the ball which is a also a win for the NFL as a pass game is more aesthetically appealing for the fans.

subastral View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subastral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Znatchy Znatchy wrote:

Elliott could go to Dallas at 4, maybe Cleveland.

Thing with RB is for some reason, it's now a really devalued position so most teams are happy to just have a guy who can run the ball and pick up 3 or 4 on 1st down.

I guess the NFL loves a pass happy game so now with the ridiculous PI rules, it's more advantageous for teams to throw the ball which is a also a win for the NFL as a pass game is more aesthetically appealing for the fans.

Quite funny, as its the opposite with Fantasy. RB's are critical!! (Bloody Lacy!!)
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 4:09pm
I highly doubt the Eagles will grab anyone other then the QB the Rams don't, either they're certain who they'll get or rate both, would be a ballsy/crazy move to give up a swag of picks to go from 8 to 2 especially since Tunsil and Jack both play positions considered deep in this draft... Also with Sam Bradford requesting a trade it kinda suggests he thinks Philly draft his replacement...
Znatchy View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Znatchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 4:19pm
Sam Bradford is useless.  I get why he wants a trade but he wants guaranteed money and doesn't want to compete for his job.  

Heard some insane stat that in his 6 years in the NFL, he has earned $3M per win.  Also, of the 20 QBs with 60 starts or more since Bradford was drafted, he is LAST in every major stat except one - completion % - which he ranks 19th of 20.  Ridiculous.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 6:01pm
He has also produced as many winning seasons as you and I... Zero! He is the NFLs Shane Watson, all hot air and no genuine results. Apparently Denver enquired about a trade, why?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
  Share Topic