Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Need opinions on my yearling filly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenkylie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need opinions on my yearling filly
    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 3:15pm
Hi everyone

I posted on here about 2-3yrs ago regarding being excited about my mare being in foal. I've owned my mare Booboisie since 2010 (I was 22) she was skin and bones when she came to me after having a couple of starts in Victoria. I looked after her and won 3 races with her in Queensland - I love her to pieces and simply going to the races was just amazing and all the behind the scenes Trackwork etc. I loved every minute being involved despite my paycheck barely covering the expenses (just a hospitality worker own her outright paid all the bills)

After being told she wasn't commercial enough to breed with was going to go to top echelon to breed to race but then was offered a very good deal for star witness in 2016. My mare had her first foal born august 2017 - a bay colt - but 4hrs after being born she kicked him in the shoulder had to euthanize him was devastated - was given a free return and in august 2018 she foaled a chestnut filly -

She has since had a bay colt by Supido 2019 and due to an improved type (bit bigger size wise and no parrot mouth unlike the filly) was offered a significant discount to go to him again so my mare is currently in foal to Supido again to be due early September.

Plan was to sell the filly and was hoping she would make it into the classic sales however due to star witness having a full book at 33k the year of my free return there's alot more competition and due to her being on the smaller side and has a small parrot mouth and lack of depth in current immediate family pedigree that she was only accepted into Scone Sales and was told highly unlikely she would get 30k at that sale.

Expenses for me have mounted up and waiting til MaY plus added sales preparation expenses for perhaps a 15-20k result wasn't viable so tried to sell her in the Inglis online sales late November. Had a reserve of 10k. She only reached 6.5k.

I'm about 10k behind in my agistment (my dad lost his job 12 months ago so it's been hard paying for literally everything plus pay sire fees etc) and really wanted to square things up but I wasn't prepared to sell her for chicken feed money - I feel she deserves better and so I've since decided to keep her and lease her with Ben Ahrens who used to train my mare. Just at least stops the costs of her being at Widden and just try to catch up with just my mare and weanling there now.

Just a couple of things wanted to ask

Is my filly that bad to only fetch 6.5k? Am I just way off on the breeding market these days. Is she that small? Is her breeding that poor?

Also I would love some ideas on a simple 'stable name' for her - I never named her as always intended to sell...so now needs a stable name.

Will need a race name as well at some point. I'd love some ideas.

She's by Star Witness x Booboisie (her stable name was stella)

Ill post a photo of her on here as I'd really love an opinion/thoughts or if you go to the past results of the Inglis online sales - the late November 2019 sale in the yearlings section she is there With a photo and video of her walking. Shows she was passed in at 6.5k.

Ill post a pic of her Supido colt as well.

Thank you so much!
Greenkylie View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenkylie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 3:53pm
Approached Kris Lees as well incase he was interested as he has Star Raider- star witness x charge at dawn - my mare booboisie is a half sister to charge at dawn. Star Raider has shown ability 1 win 2 seconds from 3 starts and is a small colt himself. But no luck wasn't interested.

I live in a caravan park in order to afford my dream - I know they say it's a sport of kings and I'm just a young battler but I just won't give up and doing this makes me happy - and who knows maybe she will win a nice race as a 2/3yo - just never know - but decided to roll the dice and lease her to race her. She will commence breaking in soon.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 4:50pm
Hi GK.  By now you well realize that agistment costs can cause pain.Here's a few thoughts:

The filly appears well put together and athletic.
The digital sale prices are rarely stellar and given that particular selling environment believe $6.5k was a fair enough bid.
Her distaff pedigree is certainly no worst than average for Scone so your trainer shouldn't have too much trouble leasing shares, even given her small parrot mouth.
Don't retain too much of the filly as you're already under financial pressure.
Dolly Parton would be a great official name on account of Star Witness and Booboisie. 
So Star, Boobs or Dolly immediately come to mind as a stable name.

Now over to others.

Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 7:34pm
Stumbled across this, and I hope you kick a goal GK ... the key is to get the best advice and never give up - sounds like you have that covered!

I wouldn't disagree with anything SC has said.

How about Stormy Daniels ... SC will like that too ... a Star Witness with Boobies!Tongue

Good Luck ... there's a movie deal in this when you make it too!

In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenkylie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 9:03pm
Thankyou SC and Dr E for your thoughts and advice as I'm still learning this breeding caper and I know I'm probably a bit out of my depth with it all but I just wanted to give it a shot as best I can and if it doesn't work sell up shop and just scale things right back. Just thought my mare was worth a crack.

I really appreciate your advice. With the trainer I have $0 costs no agistment no training fees- he pays everything but if she wins any prizemoney he takes 70% and I take 30%. The lease is a 3yr deal so once it's up then she returns back to me as I still own her.

I thought this was a great way hopefully to give her a chance since was unable to sell and I don't have the finances to wait til scone sales in May.

Omg dolly parton haha that made me laugh but May be dolly could be her stable name. Thank you for all the ideas! Keep them coming
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenkylie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 9:07pm
And yes - I'll let you know if a movie deal crops up after she wins the golden slipper next year
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 11:25pm
I like that!Thumbs Up
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 6:13pm
Hi GK, good on you, I hope she works out well for all concerned.
As for a name, 'Soviet Belle'
 Post Reply Post Reply